They Stole My Idea!

wcmartell

Mar 21, 2009, 7:48:13 PM3/21/09
THEY STOLE MY IDEA!
bu William C. Martell

New writers are often paranoid that someone will steal their ideas -
so they do everything possible to keep their screenplay idea top
secret... leaving it out of their query letters and going out of
their way to make sure no one can read their script. The obvious
problem with that is no one will want to read your script if you
don't tell them what it's about... and nobody *can* read your script
if you don't let them. Your logline is all about the high concept, and
that's what gets a producer interested enough to read your
screenplay. You can't keep your idea secret!

But does that mean you just let people steal it?

For the answer, go here:
http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip352.htm

- Bill

I'm doing a one day class for Screenwriting Expo on May 3rd on Horror
and Thrillers:
http://creativescreenwriting.com/seminars.html

A handful of screenwriting articles using Oscar Nominees as examples:
http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/oscar.htm

WeReo_ScoTTy

Mar 21, 2009, 7:53:26 PM3/21/09
"wcmartell" <wcma...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
I'm the only idea that matters.

Hatunen

Mar 21, 2009, 8:01:08 PM3/21/09
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:48:13 -0700 (PDT), wcmartell
<wcma...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>THEY STOLE MY IDEA!
>bu William C. Martell
>
>New writers are often paranoid that someone will steal their ideas -
>so they do everything possible to keep their screenplay idea top
>secret... leaving it out of their query letters and going out of
>their way to make sure no one can read their script. The obvious
>problem with that is no one will want to read your script if you
>don't tell them what it's about... and nobody *can* read your script
>if you don't let them. Your logline is all about the high concept, and
>that's what gets a producer interested enough to read your
>screenplay. You can't keep your idea secret!
>
>But does that mean you just let people steal it?
>
>For the answer, go here:
>http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip352.htm

I did. At one point it says, "But what if someone makes a film
just like your script? Since you can't copyright an idea, only
the execution of the idea, if they lifted your idea, you can't
really do anything about it."

Actually, that's not completely true. Any writer should be aware
of the case of Buchwald v Paramount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchwald_v._Paramount

--
************* DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@cox.net) *************

wcmartell

Mar 21, 2009, 8:36:23 PM3/21/09

> Actually, that's not completely true. Any writer should be aware
> of the case of Buchwald v Paramount.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchwald_v._Paramount

Nope - Buchwald won over the *execution* of the idea - there were
enough similarities between Buchwald's version and COMING TO AMERICA,
plus, he proved they had access to his script. But - take into
consideration that he is Art Buchwald and has a pile of lawyers and a
bunch of time to deal with this in court.

Another, similar, case was Harlan Ellison & James Cameron over
TERMINATOR - again, Ellison proved a bunch of direct lifts from his
OUTER LIMITS episodes and could also prove that Cameron had seen both
of those episodes. Which won him a credit and some money.

It's not the idea - it is the execution of the idea.

- Bill

danger...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2009, 8:46:15 PM3/21/09
On Mar 21, 4:48 pm, wcmartell <wcmart...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> THEY STOLE MY IDEA!
> bu William C. Martell

Good article. Thanks. (Not that I'm paranoid about my stuff or
anything.)

Dangerous Bill
(like Hatunen, also from Tucson)

DT Lemons

Mar 21, 2009, 8:52:18 PM3/21/09
In article <06fxl.162437$fM1....@newsfe14.iad>,
"WeReo_ScoTTy" <Sco...@newsserver.net> wrote:

> I'm the only idea that matters.

DELUSIONAL FAT STUPID LOSER STINKING SLOB
--
Shit Shat FaTTy Ass, give The PIG a Bone, this BIG FAT SLOB goes rolling home

PERVERTąd FAT STUPID GREASY ReTARDąd CrusTy RABID PEDOPHILE WARTHOG says WHAT?

Mark

Mar 21, 2009, 9:00:35 PM3/21/09
On Mar 21, 7:48 pm, wcmartell <wcmart...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> THEY STOLE MY IDEA!
> bu William C. Martell
>
> New writers are often paranoid that someone will steal their ideas -

In 1987 one evening I encountered a young man outside
Denny's restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He was begging
for spare change. When I told him about some day labor jobs
where he could earn cash daily he replied,

"I refuse to go back to work!" I asked why. He said,

"Bob Dylan stole all my songs! Look at all the money
it made him. Why should I work for peanuts when he's
getting rich off all my music?"

I replied, "Mm, so you can buy dinner?"

---
Mark

wcmartell

Mar 21, 2009, 9:25:36 PM3/21/09
On Mar 21, 6:00 pm, Mark <blueriver...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Bob Dylan stole all my songs!  Look at all the money
> it made him. Why should I work for peanuts when he's
> getting rich off all my music?"

That's why I always wear my tin-foil hat... Bob Dylan can not be
trusted! He will read your mind and steal your songs!

- Bill

ReVulse

Mar 21, 2009, 9:44:22 PM3/21/09
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:48:13 -0700, wcmartell wrote:

> THEY STOLE MY IDEA!
> bu William C. Martell
>
> New writers are often paranoid that someone will steal their ideas -

And then turn it into a third rate remake of a classic horror film.

--
#Andy#

http://www.last.fm/user/revulse_1968/

WeReo_ScoTTy

Mar 21, 2009, 10:08:35 PM3/21/09
"ReVulse" <ReV...@psychaoticREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
How about THIS idea-"The entire music and Film industry's on his way OUT"

danger...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2009, 12:35:33 AM3/22/09
On Mar 21, 6:25 pm, wcmartell <wcmart...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> That's why I always wear my tin-foil hat... Bob Dylan can not be
> trusted! He will read your mind and steal your songs!
>
> - Bill

Hey! The tinfoil hat was my invention.

DB

Bonestructure

Mar 22, 2009, 4:31:44 AM3/22/09
It happens. I was friends, and still am, with the folks at Asylum. I talked
to them about the movie I was writing at the time. They then announced they
too were going to make a movie about a carnival in the 30s. They didn't,
because the incompetents who had been running Asylum, into the ground, were
replaced by new staff and management. Who then set about really improving
the company's product and behavior. So it does happen. Taught me a lesson.

--
I sacrificed my sanity and all I got was this lousy dead rabbit

http://www.bonestructure.net

Kishin

Mar 22, 2009, 9:21:56 AM3/22/09
"wcmartell" <wcma...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> THEY STOLE MY IDEA!
> bu William C. Martell
>
> New writers are often paranoid that someone will steal their ideas -
> so they do everything possible to keep their screenplay idea top
> secret... leaving it out of their query letters and going out of
> their way to make sure no one can read their script. The obvious
> problem with that is no one will want to read your script if you
> don't tell them what it's about... and nobody *can* read your script
> if you don't let them. Your logline is all about the high concept, and
> that's what gets a producer interested enough to read your
> screenplay. You can't keep your idea secret!
>
> But does that mean you just let people steal it?
>
> For the answer, go here:
> http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip352.htm

Stephen Spielberg stole my idea to adapt "War of the Worlds," only he got a
fucked up script that set the story in contemporary America instead of
Victorian England. My version would have been much better.

--

Kishin

WeReo_ScoTTy

Mar 22, 2009, 5:44:25 PM3/22/09
"Kishin" <no...@idonotthinkso.com> wrote in message
I'm the model for awl media today.

SnortSnort

Mar 22, 2009, 6:12:44 PM3/22/09
In article <0jyxl.132971$xK6....@newsfe12.iad>,
"WeReo_ScoTTy" <Sco...@newsserver.net> wrote:

yea u make the perfect FAT STUPID SMELLY PEDOPHILE

--
Shit Shat FaTTy Ass, give The PIG a Bone, this BIG FAT SLOB goes rolling home

PEDOTARD PIG FACE SHITSHINE the GREASY CIRCUS PIG
& WORTHLESS DELUSIONAL LYING PATHETIC PATHOLOGICAL
PERVERTąd FAT STUPID ReTARDąd PEDOPHILE RABID WARTHOG says WHAT???

whessoe

Mar 23, 2009, 11:20:03 PM3/23/09

"wcmartell" <wcma...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> THEY STOLE MY IDEA!
> bu William C. Martell

Interesting. On the commentary for one of Bob Clark's films he talks about
being friends with John Carpenter in the Mid-70's. In a discussion about
BLACK CHRISTMAS Carpenter asked Clark if he ever considered making a sequel.
He told him of an idea with "Billy" asylumed now, escaping and returning
home to kill once again. The time of year of course would be near the end of
October and the film Clark imagined would be called HALLOWEEN.

whessoe

The Starmaker

Mar 24, 2009, 1:21:39 AM3/24/09
wcmartell wrote:

> On Mar 22, 1:31 am, Bonestructure <b...@1s.net> wrote:
> > It happens. I was friends, and still am, with the folks at Asylum. I talked
> > to them about the movie I was writing at the time. They then announced they
> > too were going to make a movie about a carnival in the 30s. They didn't,
> > because the incompetents who had been running Asylum, into the ground, were
> > replaced by new staff and management. Who then set about really improving
> > the company's product and behavior. So it does happen. Taught me a lesson.
>
> The thing about real low-enders like Asylum is that it *might* make
> financial sense for them to steal an idea from you, because they'll
> just hire someone for $500 to script it. They don't seem to worry
> about stealing from 20th Cent Fox (and every other studio) so why
> should they worry about a screenwriter. But for the most part, it
> doesn't make sense to steal someone's idea then hire someone to script
> it... when that script already exists.
>
> - Bill

If it doesn't make sense to you, ...maybe you need to consult an
attorney who can
explain and tell you that "Screenplays are stolen *all* the time..."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/13051757#13051757

---
Alonzo Douglas v. Sony. Writer who submitted script titled “Anaconda” to
Sony says the new film of that name is based o his script.

“Clockstoppers”

Santa Fe Entertainment v. Paramount Pictures. The owners of a motion
picture screenplay “It’s About Time” claim that Paramount Pictures
copied without authorization all aspects of their script in its creation
of the film “Clockstoppers.”

Patrick brothers v. Murphy. Pair of scriptwriters say their script was
the basis of hit film, "The Nutty Professor."

Tony Anthony, Howard Worth v. Universal, MCA. Two writers say “Daylight”
was based on their script, “The Tunnel.”

Lite Stone Entertainment v. DEJ Productions, Roses and Guns Productions,
et al. The owner of the motion picture screenplay “Jessie’s Girl” claims
the producers of the movie “Gang of Roses” copied the plot and
characters of the screenplay to create their movie

Donald Tavey v. Pierce Brosnan, Irish Dream Time. Writer says the
upcoming Brosnan film "The Nephew" bears "shocking similarities" to his
own "Wild Nights in Castleberry."

Chase-Riboud v. Dreamworks. Author alleges that film "Amistad" is based
on her book about the same historical incident.

Diane Johnson v. Mathieu Kassovitz. Writer alleges "Café Au Lait" is
based on her script.

Waid v. Disney. Former USN sub captain says his script was the basis for
Crimson Tide.

Hines, Jones v. Universal. Two writers say the script for “Dante’s Peak
“ was copied from a script they submitted in 1995

Laskay v. New Line, American Zoetrope. Writer who bought English
language rights to "Man Facing Southeast" says studios stole concept and
script.

Butler v. Wimmer. Writer sues collaborator who allegedly took
unfinished, co-written script, reworked it and sold it for own benefit.

Michael Fry v. Estate of Sagan. Writer says he pitched script to son of
Carl Sagan, who sold similar script to 20th Century Fox.

Bernstein and Petersen v. Universal. Screenwriters allege the film
"Half-Baked" was based on their script.

Chapin v. Kushner-Locke. Writer says KL fraudulently induced him to sign
away his rights to a script called "Cutthroat."

Bloom v. Ferguson. Screenwriter accuses writer of “Maximum Risk” of
plagiarising from his script, “Chain Reaction.”

Margaret McKenzie v. Paramount et al. The film “Lucky Numbers” infringes
on the plaintiff’s screenplay “Money Trouble,” suit alleges

Glenn Willis v. Disney. Among other similarities, three-year gestation
period for giant cockroaches is evidence Disney copied script submitted
with internship application in making "Mimic," writer alleges

Masters v. Sony. A writer says the movie "Money Train" is based on the
screenplay Sony optioned from him in 1988.

Dennis Manuel v. New Line Cinema. New York writer, representing himself,
alleges that both "The Long Kiss Goodbye" and "Seven" infringe on the
same script, which he wrote in 1978-1980

Nick Villiers v. Eric Fellner et al. Writer says long-time friend and
producer used his ideas for a movie to be called "Cheeks" as part of the
hit "Notting Hill."

Gary Compton v. Disney, Bruckheimer, Bay et al. Author says “Pearl
Harbor” infringes on his romantic screenplay “Pearl Harbor Love.”

Linda Lukens v. Paramount Pictures et al. Series "Queen of Swords" is
based on scripts by plaintiff, but were made with neither permission nor
credit.

Grosso v. Miramax. Writers alleges the film "Rounders" was made from his
script, but he was never paid.

Faye Kellerman v. Miramax, Universal. Bestselling author alleges
"Shakespeare in Love" is based on her 1989 novel "The Quality of Mercy."

Elena Mareno v. Miramax et al. New York woman alleges "White Man's
Burden" is based on her treatment and screenplay

Newsom v. Columbia Pictures. Author of 1985 “Spider-Man” script says his
material was used
in hit 2002 “Spider-Man” movie without credit or payment.

N. Barry Carver v. Paramount. Writer says the similarities of "Star
Trek: First Contact" to the script
"A Stitch in Time," which he submitted to Paramount in 1991, are
"bizarrely striking."

Mattson v. Protosevich, New Line. Writer says his idea and screenplay
for a movie about a female therapist entering the mind of a comatose
patient were used to make "The Cell."

Michael Alan Eddy v. Radar Pictures, Interscope, Warner Bros., WGA.
Writer who says he was first of six to work on “The Last Samurai” claims
the film’s producers
and the WGA prevented him from receiving the proper credit due to him
the other early writers
for their work on the project.

Mowry v. Scott Rudin, Viacom. Writer alleges that the movie “The Truman
Show”
is so similar to the screenplay he submitted to the defendants that it
must have been copied.

James Bass v. Lions Gate, Mandalay, Snoop Dogg.
Music video and commercial producer says rapper and film companies based
film “The Wash” on his script.

Howard, Beutler, Schlossberg-Cohen v. Danjaq et al. Baltimore
scriptwriters claim
latest Bond flick copied their script "Currency of Fear." We print
description of similarities in full.

Vicky Rocco v. Tamasy, Bell. Writer says her script was ripped off for
the new movie, "Walking Across Egypt."

there is no end to script stealing if the attorneys tell you

"Screenplays are stolen *all* the time..."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/13051757#13051757

The Starmaker

The Starmaker

Mar 24, 2009, 1:23:44 AM3/24/09

New Filing -- Eddie Murphy

Patrick brothers v. Murphy. Pair of scriptwriters say their script was

the basis of hit film, "The Nutty Professor." New Filing CD California.
Full Story -- New Filing November 1996
Backdraft Ruling
Burns, Zoll v. Imagine Films, MCA, Universal. Two Buffalo firefighters
who say significant parts of their screenplays wound up in "Backdraft"
appear to have won a default judgment on liability based on defendants'
"willful bad faith" and failure to produce documents. Ruling WD New
York. Full Story Art New Filing August 1996
Golan Says Wrongly Fired From Film Co.
Producer says he was wrongly fired, manhandled from office, defamed and
bilked of credit and fee; says deft.'s lawyer then refused to draft
settlement unless hired to produce Golan's next film Full Story
Film
New Filing August 1999
New File – Niss
Niss v. 1,200 cable companies. Son of author of "Pendulum," who in
related action is claiming ownership, seeks class status for cablers who
rebroadcast HBO showing of the movie; he notes that defendants are
indemnified by HBO. New Filing SD New York. Full Story Film New
Filing July 2000
New Filing – “Clockstoppers”

Santa Fe Entertainment v. Paramount Pictures. The owners of a motion
picture screenplay “It’s About Time” claim that Paramount Pictures
copied without authorization all aspects of their script in its creation

of the film “Clockstoppers.” New Filing CD California. Full Story Film
New Filing June 2003
New Filing – “Freakshow”
Nick Griffin, Mike Ferrucci v. Miramax Film Corp. The authors of a
horror film screenplay entitled “Freakshow” claim that Miramax’s 2002
film, “Halloween Resurrection” copied without authorization creative
elements from the screenplay. New Filing CD California. Full Story
Film New Filing May 2003
New Filing – “Gang of Roses”

Lite Stone Entertainment v. DEJ Productions, Roses and Guns Productions,
et al. The owner of the motion picture screenplay “Jessie’s Girl” claims
the producers of the movie “Gang of Roses” copied the plot and

characters of the screenplay to create their movie. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing January 2004
New Filing - “Ota Benga” Rights
Roland Films v. Schwab. Indie film company seeks to enforce option on
screenplay “Ota Benga” after disagreement with writer about whether the
option expired or was extended. New Filing SD New York. Full Story
Film New Filing January 2002
New Filing – “The Quest”
Dux v. Van Damme. Martial arts expert says action star didn’t pay agreed
fee for consulting, creating the story for “The Quest.” New Filing LA
Superior. Full Story Film New Filing April 1997
New Filing – “The Red Door”
Saffron v. Praxis. Producer says he has not been paid his fee or given
his credit for film based on the screenplay “The Red Door.” New Filing
CD California. Full Story Film New Filing February 2002
New Filing – “X-Men” Book
David Hayter v. Twentieth Century Fox, Newmarket Press. Screenwriter
claims Twentieth Century Fox and Newmarket Press failed to ensure that
he received credit for his contributions to the motion picture “X-Men 2”
in a book published about the film. New Filing CD California. Full
Story Film New Filing June 2003
New Filing – Agent 008
Carlos Jackson v. Various Universal execs. Man claims he dropped earlier
lawsuit against Universal based on promises by execs to help his career,
develop his "Agent 008" script, but execs allegedly reneged. New Filing
LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing August 2000
New Filing – Air Bud
Mendelson, Tamasy v. Malvan Productions, Keystone Entertainment. Writers
of “Air Bud” and its sequel allege they have not received the “net
profits” they were promised and have been cut out of third “Air Bud”
film. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing
April 2001
New Filing – Air Bud
Barry Perelman Enterprises v. Keystone. Producer says film company dealt
him out of deal to make "Air Bud." New Filing LA Superior. Full Story
Film New Filing January 1998
New Filing – Alpha Dog
Initial Entertainment v. Nicholas Cassavetes. Film company says writer
hired to help with movie “Alpha Dog” has asserted ownership interest in
the screenplay. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New
Filing
December 2004
New Filing – Artist Management
Alcon v. AMG. Film production company wants refund of money it spent on
rights to inspiring true story of integrated 1955 Alabama Little League
team after learning that the story was not true. New Filing LA Superior.
Full Story Film New Filing June 2002
New Filing – Asylum
Schwartz v. Sealskin. Scriptwriter says his former partner took a
jointly written screenplay for “Asylum” and sold it as his own. New
Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing December 1996
New Filing – Barbershop
MGM v. Mark Brown, Beauty Shop LLC. Lawsuit filed over “Beauty Shop,”
allegedly an unauthorized spin-off from the “Barbershop franchise.” New
Filing CD California. Full Story Film New Filing January
2004
New Filing – Castle Rock
Morris, Richert v. Castle Rock, Sorkin, WGA. Two writers who say their
treatment was the basis of “The American President” and who sought
writer credits allege that the Writers Guild fouled up their challenge
and wrongly waived their rights. New Filing SD New York. Full Story
Film New Filing November 2001
New Filing – Clive Cussler
Clive Cussler v. Crusader Entertainment. Author says production company
has failed to recognize his contractually-required approval rights over
screenplay adaptation of one of his novels, and anyway is taking too
long about it. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New
Filing
February 2004
New Filing -- Crimson Tide

Waid v. Disney. Former USN sub captain says his script was the basis for

Crimson Tide. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New
Filing
September 1996
New Filing – Dadon
David Dadon v. Avi Lerner, et al. Producers says he helped get "The
Replicant" off the ground, but didn't get his $150,000 or producer
credit. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing
July 2000
New Filing – Dante’s Peak

Hines, Jones v. Universal. Two writers say the script for “Dante’s Peak

“ was copied from a script they submitted in 1995. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing March 1997
New Filing – Don Juan Demarco

Laskay v. New Line, American Zoetrope. Writer who bought English
language rights to "Man Facing Southeast" says studios stole concept and

script. New Filing LA Superior. Removal CD California. Full Story
Film
New Filing May 1997
New Filing – Drumline
Darryl Lassiter v. Fox. Writer says “Drumline” was copied from his
movie, “Pay the Price,” about Black college marching bands. New Filing
SD New York. Full Story

New Filing – Drumline
Darryl D. Lassiter, 2 Believers Productions, et al. v. Twentieth Century
Fox Films, Fox Entertainment Group. Screenwriter claims that studios
copied several elements from his screenplay and movie “Pay the Price” to
create the motion picture “Drumline.” New Filing SD New York. Full
Story Film New Filing September 2004
New Filing – End Game
Sean Connery v. Peter Guber, Mandalay Pictures. Actor alleges production
company promised him $17 million to be in film “End Game” and kept
stringing him along even when they could not finance the film in order
to maintain the appearance of viability. New Filing LA Superior. Full
Story Film New Filing October 2002
New Filing -- Exit Zero

Butler v. Wimmer. Writer sues collaborator who allegedly took
unfinished, co-written script, reworked it and sold it for own benefit.

New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film New Filing November
1996
New Filing – Film Script

Michael Fry v. Estate of Sagan. Writer says he pitched script to son of

Carl Sagan, who sold similar script to 20th Century Fox. New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing April 1997
New Filing – Frequency
Selby v. New Line, Emmerich. Writer claims film "Frequency" is
substantially similar to his screenplay "Doubletime." New Filing CD
California. Full Story Film New Filing April 2000
New Filing – Harry Shearer
Bernhard/Robson v. Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman. Producer files malpractice
case saying firm botched negotiations and then arbitration with Harry
Shearer over comedy script. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story Film
New Filing July 1998
New Filing – Have Gun Will Travel
Paladin V. Time Warner. Producers allege Warner reneged on deal to do
"Have Gun Will Travel" movie. New Filing LA Superior. Full Story
Film
New Filing April 1999
New Filing – Hearsay
Hearsay v. World International. Defendant may have had right to take
over production of film “Hearsay,” but has so changed the content as to
have infringed on the copyright, suit alleges. New Filing CD California.
Full Story Film New Filing August 2001
New Filing – Howard Hughes
Charles Evans v. New Line Cinema. Producer says he worked years on movie
about billionaire Howard Hughes, only to get cut out of the deal. New
Filing LA ...

danger...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2009, 1:38:21 AM3/24/09
On Mar 23, 10:21 pm, The Starmaker <starma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> If it doesn't make sense to you, ...maybe you need to consult an
> attorney who can
> explain and tell you that "Screenplays are stolen *all* the time..."

Serious question here:

Is it possible these are folks who are just fishing for a quickie
'make me go away' settlement out of the hundreds of millions of
dollars involved in making and marketing a movie? Big money attracts
lawyers like shit attracts flies, and it would probably be impossible
to write a script that doesn't resemble *something* somebody wrote
sometime.

Phony and groundless lawsuits make just as big headlines as legitimate
ones.

DB

The Starmaker

Mar 24, 2009, 1:43:13 AM3/24/09

iL_WeReo

Mar 24, 2009, 2:15:22 AM3/24/09
> CD ...
>
> read more »- Hide quoted text -

AND...the entire music industry's on his way OUT >>>

wcmartell

Mar 24, 2009, 2:17:35 AM3/24/09
On Mar 23, 10:38 pm, dangerousb...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is it possible these are folks who are just fishing for a quickie
> 'make me go away' settlement out of the hundreds of millions of
> dollars involved in making and marketing a movie? Big money attracts
> lawyers like shit attracts flies, and it would probably be impossible
> to write a script that doesn't resemble *something* somebody wrote
> sometime.

Yes. That's usually why the lawyers get involved.

There's a great deal of synchonicity - people come up with the same
ideas at the same time, without any theft involved. But crazy people
and naive people often believe it is theft... that someone has stolen
their idea, beacuse it is precious to them.

For instance:

New Filing -- Eddie Murphy

Patrick brothers v. Murphy. Pair of scriptwriters say their script

was the basis of hit film, "The Nutty Professor." New Filing CD

California. Full Story -- New Filing November 1996

Doesn't seem to take into account that is a remake of a 1963 film.
Hey, if these guys were ripped off, why not sue the 1963 original
film
instead of the remake?

- Bill

The Starmaker

Mar 25, 2009, 2:53:07 AM3/25/09

For each case that is "filed", there are *hundreds* that don't get
filed. Either
there is not enough to go on, or the writer is either to afraid to sue,
or cannot afford to.

So, either you don't have the proof required by law...
or You cannot afford the expense of taking it to court, or
you're just afraid to sue because the industry will retaliate against
you by blackballing you.

The Starmaker

KillMaster

Mar 25, 2009, 4:14:57 AM3/25/09

ALL Ya NEED TO KNOW: GOOGLE - LIFSHINE PEDOPHILE

Bonestructure

Mar 25, 2009, 12:19:42 PM3/25/09
The Starmaker <star...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

> or
> you're just afraid to sue because the industry will retaliate against
> you by blackballing you.

I'd be double damned afraid of that. Seriously.