the pantheon of 80s cinema

far out right

May 18, 2004, 10:41:37 PM5/18/04
80s Pantheon

the top 10 greatest

1. bubblegum crisis(2032-33 OVA/ subtitled)
once upon a time in america
makioka sisters
time of the gypsies

2. excalibur
blade runner
my beautiful laundrette
merry x-mas mr lawrence
to live and die in la

3. laputa, castle in the sky
when father was away on business
raging bull
something wild
life and nothing but
sunday in the country
pelle the conqueror
midnight run

4. the shining
fanny and alexander
melvin and howard
chant of jimmy blacksmith
atlantic city
kagemusha
killing fields
moonlighting(skomolowski)
danton
millenial bee

5. l'argent
ballad of narayama
full metal jacket
year of living dangerously
family game
the sacrifice
ran
raiders of the lost ark
diner
tess
cinema paradiso

6. passage to india
local hero
das boot
house of games
himatsuri
mephisto
right stuff
nausicaa of the valley of the wind(aka warriors of the wind)
eijanaika
tron(if only for revol effects)
macarthur's children
gonza the spearman
fitzcaraldo

7. scarface
king of comedy
do you remember dolly bell?
baby it's you
broadway danny rose
crimes and misdeanors
utu
born on the 4th of july
black rain(imamura)
surefire(jost)

8. jean de florette
desert bloom
walker
first name carmen
my dinner with andre
breaker morant
smash palace
lost in america

9. home and the world
police story
twice in a lifetime
planes trains automobiles
christmas story
night of the shooting stars
violent cop
long riders
chinese ghost story
stranger than paradise
koyaanisqatsi
28 UP
babette's feast
sugar cane alley

10. stop making sense
stranger(ray)
yes madam
coal miner's daughter
terminator
hoosiers
the thing
wolfen
hannah and her sisters
sure thing
housekeeping
revolt of job
space adventure cobra
woman next door
hope and glory
rikyu
big

MAYBE NOT GREAT BUT LOVE NONETHELESS:
(* indicates special preference)
(^ indicates overwhelming critical dismissal)
(+ indictes possibly great)

mystic pizza**
tampopo
diva+
and the ship sails on*+
chariots of fire*+
greystoke legend of tarzan*^
broadcast news*
brighton beach memoirs**^
better tomorrow*
runaway train+
stacking**
jigsaw man
devoted to you(hk)**
isle of fantasy(hk)**
revolution*^+
hey babu riba**
sixteen candles
ferris bueller's day off
light of day*
real genius*
fandango**^
outrageous fortune
radio days
spaceballs
crazy family(japan)
osterman weekend*^
stardust memories
casualties of war+
down by law
four friends^
airplane
stripes
pee wee's big adventure
shag the movie(gish, cates, fonda in ONE movie)
la boum*
the last dragon^
dominion tank police(OVA)
kimagure orange road(OVA)*

MAYBE NOT GREAT BUT HONORABLE:
(* indicates possibly great)
(^ indicates overwhelming critical dismissal)

gandhi
reds
blue velvet*
ragtime*
wall street
empire of the sun*
last emperor*(cinematography, art design)
victor/victoria
1984
platoon*
great santini*
ordinary people
salvador*
birdy
bear
amadeus*
matewan
high hopes
farewell to the king
places in the heart
prizzi' honor
come and see
heartland*
black stallion
never cry wolf
urban cowboy
road warrior*
fast times at ridgemont high(spicoli great, rest bad)
the dead*
ginger and fred
entres nous*
hail mary
kaos*
48 hrs
johnny handsome*
muddy river
yellow earth
official story*
afterhours*
karate kid(mainly for shue)
the great wall
tokyo-ga
ju dou
the black cannon incident(china)
yeleen(brightness)*
zelig*
romancing the stone
the natural
bounty*
starman
falcon and the snowman*
au revoir les enfants*
blow out*
my left foot
carmen(saura)
flatliners
sidney and nancy*
weavers wasn't that a time
altered states*
back to the future
big easy
boyfriends and girlfriends
conan the barbarian
peggy sue got married
scandal
southern comfort
trip to bountiful
hamburger hill
tin men
emerald forest*
dead ringers*
micki and maude
heaven's gate^
heathers(nony)
la balance
children of a lesser god
dead zone
king david
sunday daughters
wagner(burton)*
monty python's meaning of life
time bandits
gloria
the hit
stand and deliver
vampire princess miyu(OVA)
urusei yatsura(tv, OVA, movies)

HIGHLY TOUTED MOVIES I DIDN'T CARE FOR:
(* indicates considerable artistic value, nevertheless)

purple rain
unbearable lightness of being*
brazil*
dance with a stranger
river's edge
pale rider
tightrope
akira*
tootsie*
say anything*
room with a view
soldier's story*
witness
missing
eleni
paris texas
empire strikes back
trading places
red sorghum
el norte
beverly hills cop
trouble in mind*
cotton club*
blood simple
raising arizona
pixote
dreamchild
enemies a love story*
driving miss daisy
carmen(rosi)
drugstore cowboy
mishima*
a world apart
vagabond*
anna
mad max beyond thunderdome
new york stories
aria
prick up your ears
camille claudelle
untouchables
purple rose of cairo
mission
the funeral
caravaggio
querelle
vision quest
hanussen
rumblefish*
aliens
black widow(they mate and they kill. ha)
married to the mob
mrs soffel
beetlejuice*
quest for fire
absolute beginners
scanners
light years
mahabharata(brook)
too beautiful for you
my life as a frog
manon of the spring
blues brothers
color of money
the moderns
mask

HIGHLY TOUTED MOVIES I DESPISE:
(* indicates some artistic merit)
(^ indicates deep, extreme, virulent, near-pathological,
teethgrinding, eyepopping hatred)

big chill
do the right thing*^
sex lies videotapes^
last temptation of christ*
out of africa*
plenty*
french lieutenant's woman
sophie's choice*
on golden pond
kiss of the spiderwoman
silverado^
crime of passion
pink floyd the wall
swimming to cambodia^^^^^^^^^
star 80
terms of endearment(could stand 15 min tops)
moscow on the hudson*
ghostbusters
choose me*
stepfather^
rain man
batman
fish called wanda
another woman^
caddyshack
hairspray
larry the portrait of a serial intellectual^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i've heard the mermaids singing^
true stories
smooth talk
the fly
robocop
betrayed^
gremlins pt 2
nightmare on elm street^
when harry met sally
creepshow
the abyss

BAD MOVIES I LIKE:

tuff turf
some kind of wonderful
blame it on rio
red sonja
no holds barred(CEO villain guy)
uncle buck
three amigos(only the tavern dance number)

UNGOOD(not exactly terrible) MOVIES I DON'T LIKE BUT REMEMBER WITH
SEMI-FONDNESS(dunno why):

about last night
heartbreak ridge
red dawn
all the right moves
breakfast club
pretty in pink
angel heart
risky business
year of the dragon
king lear(godard)
wise guys(depalma)
manhunter
cocktail
less than zero
no way out
bright lights big city
crocodile dundee
stand by me
weird science
outsiders
gardens of stone
lucas
quiet earth
liquid sky
revenge of the nerds

MOVIES I SHOULDA BUT DIDN'T SEE:

summer(rohmer)
hour of the star
the horse (turkish)
horse of pride (chabrol)
after the rehearsal
melo
love streams
wings of desire
shy people
tender mercies
secret honor
raise the red lantern
betrayal
the grey fox
pauline at the beach
moon in the gutter
under fire
dresser
under the volcano
pope of greenwich village
the 4th man
bostonians
eureka
elephant man
shoot the moon
my favorite year
colored people
mona lisa
law of desire
street smart
roxanne
henry V
ice man
talk radio
wetherby
american gigolo
damage
defence of the realm
smithereens
dim sum
princess bride
ladyhawke
round midnight
sammy and rosie get laid
salaam bombay
streetwise
un coeur en hiver
valmont
dangerous liasons
story of women
full moon in paris
four adventures of reinette and mirabelle
cyrano de bergerac
dressed to kill
body double
last metro
green room
return of martin guerre
tartuffe
under satan's sun
big time
flamingo kid
the lightship
true confessions
barfly
taxing woman
berlin alexanderplatz
colonel redl
coup de torchon
beatrice
therese
law of desire
this is spinaltap
apartment zero
tom horn
white mischief
barbarosa
bedroom window
la truite
sincerely charlotte
the hunger(bowie/deneuve)
music box
come back to the five and dime, jimmy dean
streamers
testament
alamo bay
buster
chances are
die hard
into the night
jagged edge
little dorrit pt 1&2
running on empty
thin blue line
bird
glory
an officer and a gentleman
moonstruck
accidental tourist
mississippi burning
moscow does not believe in tears
dangerous moves
the assault
educating rita
dark eyes
malou
holy innocents
cal
interrogation
a cry in the dark
my american cousin
ticket to heaven
threshold
john and the missus
night zoo
murder by decree
deathtrap
joshua then and now
decline of the american empire
les bons bebarras
terry fox story
bay boy
if you could see what i hear
careful he may hear you
changeling
maria chapdelaine
silence of the north
loyalties
obsessed
by bye blues
videodrome
tucker man and his dreams
gorillas in the mist
agnes of god
my twentieth century
hungarian fairytale
icicle thief
devil in the flesh
open doors
yol
montenegro
hands up
legend of suram fortress
matador
wetherby
angry harvest
to kill a priest
fever
decalogue
maria's lovers
big red one
fourth protocol
fletch
silkwood
another country
letter to brezhnev
where's piccone

Kingo Gondo

May 18, 2004, 11:21:34 PM5/18/04
Get help.

dobe...@dropsocal.rr.com

May 19, 2004, 1:10:04 AM5/19/04
farou...@hotmail.com (far out right) wrote:

>MOVIES I SHOULDA BUT DIDN'T SEE:
>

>the grey fox
>ice man

Thanks for reminding me of these two. Makes me want to see them again,
especially "Ice Man."

As for several of the others, you say you haven't seen them, but
you've discussed them on numerous occasions over the past five years
or so in this group!

madkevin

May 19, 2004, 1:29:47 AM5/19/04

<dobe...@DROPsocal.rr.com> wrote in message

Some might think that was a sign of a hypocrite. Seasoned Gaza viewers know,
however, that it's just another cry for help.

Kevin "March Of Dimes" Cogliano

Lex

May 22, 2004, 4:46:31 PM5/22/04
farou...@hotmail.com (far out right) wrote in

> 80s Pantheon
>
> the top 10 greatest

> to live and die in la

The best car chase seen ever in a movie.

> MOVIES I SHOULDA BUT DIDN'T SEE:

> die hard
> videodrome

Die Hard is one of my best action movies. videodrome is a **FLASH** what the
hell.

--
Lex

- Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers

last bingo in texas

May 25, 2004, 7:48:45 PM5/25/04
Lex <noe...@noemail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94F1A5E13FE05...@16.105.248.153>...

> farou...@hotmail.com (far out right) wrote in
>
> > 80s Pantheon
> >
> > the top 10 greatest
> > to live and die in la
>
> The best car chase seen ever in a movie.

one of the best.

of course, these days it's so much easier to come up with cool stuff.
matrix reloaded had one of the most awesome car chase scenes but it
was mostly computer so...

Lex

Jun 2, 2004, 2:39:17 PM6/2/04
lastbin...@hotmail.com (last bingo in texas) wrote in

Just saw it over the weekend, and I have to agree...

W. Lydecker

Jun 2, 2004, 2:31:31 PM6/2/04
80s films have a pantheon?

Stephen Cooke

Jun 2, 2004, 3:50:12 PM6/2/04

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, W. Lydecker wrote:

> 80s films have a pantheon?

It's more of a Duran Durantheon.

swac

Mpoconnor7

Jun 2, 2004, 6:22:03 PM6/2/04

>>> The best car chase seen ever in a movie.
>>>

>> one of the best.
>>
>> of course, these days it's so much easier to come up with cool stuff.
>> matrix reloaded had one of the most awesome car chase scenes but it
>> was mostly computer so...
>
>Just saw it over the weekend, and I have to agree...

I much prefer the good old days when they actually did the car chases with real
cars as opposed to a bunch of CGI and green or blue screens. I much prefer
stunt sequences that require some risk of bodily harm.The car chase in To Live
and Die in LA was terrific; a great car chase in a more recent film was in
Ronin. One of my all-time favorite chase scenes was in Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad
World when the vehicles are chasing each other down the winding two lane roads.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

Emperor Gondo

Jun 2, 2004, 10:08:02 PM6/2/04
mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote in message news:<20040602182203...@mb-m17.aol.com>...

> >> one of the best.
> >>
> >> of course, these days it's so much easier to come up with cool stuff.
> >> matrix reloaded had one of the most awesome car chase scenes but it
> >> was mostly computer so...
> >
> >Just saw it over the weekend, and I have to agree...
> >

> I much prefer the good old days when they actually did the car chases with real
> cars as opposed to a bunch of CGI and green or blue screens. I much prefer
> stunt sequences that require some risk of bodily harm.The car chase in To Live
> and Die in LA was terrific; a great car chase in a more recent film was in
> Ronin. One of my all-time favorite chase scenes was in Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad
> World when the vehicles are chasing each other down the winding two lane roads.

i agree. but to do good CGI is still difficult. terminator 3 simply
sucks. matrix reloaded highway chase and mayhem is truly inspired.
wow.

Jeff Duncanson

Jun 3, 2004, 12:08:28 AM6/3/04

> I much prefer the good old days when they actually did the car chases with real
> cars as opposed to a bunch of CGI and green or blue screens.

Yes yes - I recently watched "The Road Warrior" for about the 10th
time and this time found myself wondering how it would look done today
with all the CGI shit. It has a sloppy violence that you just don't
see in the new stuff , like "Torque".

Jeff

Roman S.

Jun 3, 2004, 7:09:56 AM6/3/04
The greatest films of the 80's (off the top of my head):
Videodrome
Scanners
The Fly
Dead Ringers
Possession
The Thing
Ms. 45
The New York Ripper
To Live And Die In L.A.
The Breakfast Club
Tenement
Pieces
Slugs
Don't Answer The Phone
Don't Go In The House
Alone In The Dark
Night Warning
The Exterminator
Forbidden Zone
Liquid Sky
Visiting Hours
Nightmare
Dressed To Kill
Maniac
Cruising
Night Of The Juggler
Blow Out
Body Double
Nightmare City
City Of The Living Dead
The Beyond
House By The Cemetery
Inferno
Tenebre
Cannibal Ferox
Cannibal Apocalypse
Halloween III: Season Of The Witch
Amityville II: The Possession
Scarface
Sharky's Machine
Death Wish II
Bad Boys
52 Pick-Up
F/X

Roman S.

Jun 3, 2004, 7:13:19 AM6/3/04
Day Of The Dead
Return Of The Living Dead
Re-Animator
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Howling
Wolfen
An American Werewolf In London

Roman S.

Jun 3, 2004, 7:41:10 AM6/3/04
Dead And Buried
Cut And Run
Phenomena
Opera

Roman S.

Jun 3, 2004, 5:34:02 PM6/3/04
Cannibal Holocaust (79/80)
House On The Edge Of The Park
The Ninth Configuration
Class Of 1984
A View To A Kill
Demons
Demons 2
Wild Beasts
Prom Night
Terror Train
Deadline
Miracle Mile
After Hours
The Burning
Halloween II
Nightmare On Elm Street 2
Blood Simple
River's Edge
Angel Heart
Transformers The Movie
Times Square
The Children Of Times Square (TV)
Nighthawks
Night Shift
Manhunter
Combat Shock
C.H.U.D.
Eaten Alive
Doctor Butcher M.D.
Absurd
Anthropophagus
Slaughter High
Don't Open Till Christmas
Christmas Evil
Silent Night, Deadly Night
New Year's Evil
Too Scared To Scream
He Knows You're Alone
My Bloody Valentine
The House On Sorority Row
Happy Birthday To Me
American Nightmare
Curtains
Funeral Home
Night School
Eyes Of A Stranger
Fanatic
Graduation Day
Student Bodies
Mortuary
Enter The Ninja
Exterminator II
Death Wish 3
Walking The Edge
Brubaker
Little Dragons
National Lampoon's Movie Madness
Out Of The Darkness (TV)
Eureka
Vigilante
Hollywood Harry
The First Deadly Sin
Bachelor Party
Hamburger The Motion Picture
Cheech And Chong's The Corsican Brothers
Wimps
Fletch
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's European Vacation

Bill Anderson

Jun 3, 2004, 5:41:42 PM6/3/04

What a list. And who said the Reagan-Bush years have no redeeming value?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Roman S.

Jun 3, 2004, 5:45:29 PM6/3/04
Night Of The Comet
Night Of The Demons
Eating Raoul
Nomads
The Serpent And The Rainbow
Chopping Mall
Howling II

Roman S.

Jun 3, 2004, 6:23:32 PM6/3/04
A Stranger Is Watching

Roman S.

Jun 4, 2004, 5:25:55 AM6/4/04
Lifeforce
Aliens
Xtro
Fear City
10 To Midnight
The Stunt Man
The Fan
The Seduction
Windows
Just Before Dawn

(that's it)

Mpoconnor7

Jun 4, 2004, 6:06:40 PM6/4/04
The Right Stuff
Tootsie
Raising Arizona
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Empire Strikes Back
The Terminator
Back to the Future
The Killing Fields
Ragtime
Hoosiers

Lex

Jun 7, 2004, 8:07:30 PM6/7/04
"Roman S." <rm...@att.net> wrote in news:ePMvc.28007$_k3.702404@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Curtains

Your kidding right!! Have you ever seen this movie?

I remember this movie very well, the reason was because people were leaving
the theatre after 10 minutes into the movie and asking for their money
back. I have seen some stinkers in my lifetime but this one gets the golden
turd award and should be removed from existence.

Here's a sceen from the movie "a guy with a ski mask breaks into this
womans appartment in an attemp to rape her and it turns out that it's her
boyfriend, and they all have a good laugh after." Give me a fork to pluck
my eyes out.

Lex

Jun 7, 2004, 8:11:19 PM6/7/04
"Roman S." <rm...@att.net> wrote in news:ZZMvc.28056$_k3.703057@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Night Of The Comet

I remember this one very well to, so much could have been done with this
one. A young Robert Beltran (Commander Chakotay) was in it. Great story no
budget.

Vince Pilutis

Jun 7, 2004, 8:27:56 PM6/7/04

> "Roman S." <rm...@att.net> wrote in news:ZZMvc.28056$_k3.703057@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>
> > Night Of The Comet
>
> I remember this one very well to, so much could have been done with this
> one. A young Robert Beltran (Commander Chakotay) was in it. Great story no
> budget.

Didn't do much for the female lead I forget her name, she also played the
young Joan Collins in "SINS"

Roman S.

Jun 8, 2004, 5:00:20 AM6/8/04

Lex wrote:

>> Curtains

>Your kidding right!! Have you ever seen this movie?

I enjoyed the ice-skating scene. I also liked Midnight (1981),
Boardinghouse, the rest of Fulci's films from the 80's, Nathan Schiff's
movies, Joe D'Amato's movies, Raiders Of Atlantis, 1990: Bronx Warriors,
Escape From The Bronx, Blood Ties, Bad Dreams, One Dark Night, Mausoleum,
Conan The Barbarian, Rocky III, the rest of NOES, F13, Hellraiser, Phantasm
series, and a bunch of obscure gialli from the 80's... Crawlspace, The
Hitcher and VICE SQUAD!

Roman S.

Jun 8, 2004, 5:47:51 AM6/8/04
Schizoid, TCM 2, Fade To Black, Out Of The Blue, Blue Velvet, Fame,
Flashdance, Hero At Large, Commando, Tootsie, First Blood, Rambo: FB II,
Desperately Seeking Susan...

Roman S.

Jun 8, 2004, 6:00:48 AM6/8/04
Eye Of The Needle, Deathtrap, Stick, Private Benjamin, Fatso...

Roman S.

Jun 8, 2004, 6:32:30 AM6/8/04
The Stepfather, Thief, The Keep...

Roman S.

Jun 8, 2004, 7:50:02 AM6/8/04
Galaxina, Star 80...

Lex

Jun 8, 2004, 4:11:04 PM6/8/04
"Roman S." <rm...@att.net> wrote in news:KJhxc.25917$Gx4.5015@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Galaxina, Star 80...

If you ever put Howard the Duck in here I'll never read another of your
posts :)

How the heck do you remember all that

Vince Pilutis

Jun 8, 2004, 4:12:12 PM6/8/04

> "Roman S." <rm...@att.net> wrote in news:KJhxc.25917$Gx4.5015@bgtnsc04-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>
> > Galaxina, Star 80...
>
> If you ever put Howard the Duck in here I'll never read another of your
> posts :)
>
> How the heck do you remember all that
>
> --

1983 TWO James Bond 007 films thats something that will never happen again.

Roman S.

Jun 9, 2004, 5:38:28 AM6/9/04

Lex wrote:

>How the heck do you remember all that

Well, I forgot Escape From New York, Arthur, Barfly, Venom, Spasms, Special
Effects, Q The Winged Serpent, Nine 1/2 Weeks, Body Heat, Brimstone and
Treacle, Homeboy, Cat People, and Jagged Edge...