Films that were the foundations for TV Series?

john smith

Nov 15, 2011, 3:35:11 PM11/15/11
Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes

Mash/Mash

Message has been deleted

Grendel

Nov 15, 2011, 4:24:27 PM11/15/11
On Nov 15, 3:02 pm, SLGreg <SLG...@madeitup.com> wrote:
> Bell Book and Candle/Bewitched
> --
> greg

M.A.S.H. also gave you AfterMASh & Trapper John, M.D.

Alien Nation / Alien Nation
Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel
Animal House / Delta House
Friday Night Lights / Friday Night Lights
Highlander / Highlander: The Series
Planet of the Apes / Planet of the Apes
Private Benjamin / Private Benjamin
RoboCop / RoboCop: The Series
Stargate / Stargate SG-1 / Stargate Atlantais / Stargate Universe /
Stargate Infinity
The Raiders of the Lost Ark / The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

John Doe

Nov 15, 2011, 4:27:19 PM11/15/11
And a jillion pilots...

Mack A. Damia

Nov 15, 2011, 5:07:54 PM11/15/11
There were six Perry Mason films made between 1934 and 1937.

It took twenty years to jump to TV (1957)

Before you jump on me about the movie and series being based on novels
by Erle Stanley Gardner, the program M.A.S.H. was based on Richard
Hooker's novel "MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors".

Tom

Nov 15, 2011, 5:35:06 PM11/15/11
On Nov 15, 4:07 pm, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2011 21:27:19 GMT, John Doe <j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
We can add...

Flipper/Flipper
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion/Daktari
The Magnificent Seven
The Dirty Dozen/Dirty Dozen: The Series
Naked City
Hondo (followed two movies)

Tom

Tom

Michael OConnor

Nov 15, 2011, 5:42:27 PM11/15/11

> Animal House / Delta House

All three networks had shows inspired by Animal House on their
schedule by the middle of the 1978-79 TV season, but none of them
lasted very long. Delta House IIRC was the only one that had
castmembers from Animal House on the show.

> The Raiders of the Lost Ark / The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

There was a short lived series Tales of the Gold Monkey that debuted
on ABC in the 1981 fall season on the heels of Raiders; I doubt it
lasted an entire season.

There was also a Blue Thunder TV series in the mid 80's, along with a
series based on the John Carpenter movie Starman.

Dave in Toronto

Nov 15, 2011, 6:37:01 PM11/15/11
The Ashpalt Jungle
Executive Suite

Dave M

Tom

Nov 15, 2011, 6:49:26 PM11/15/11
Nine to Five... I just threw up a little...

Tom

SparkoHeaps

Nov 15, 2011, 7:04:24 PM11/15/11
On Nov 15, 1:35 pm, eddyg...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

Quite a few animated TV shows were based on movies:

Fantastic Voyage
Planet of the Apes
Ghostbusters
Men In Black
James Bond Jr.
Star Wars Clone Wars
Ewoks

(And I can wholeheartedly recommend exactly 0 of these shows.)

There have been so many Batman cartoon shows, that it is difficult to
say which ones were inspired by movies, but the 1992 Batman show was
definitely inspired by Tim Burton's Batman.

George

Nov 15, 2011, 7:30:43 PM11/15/11
eddy...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:

>Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
>Mash/Mash

The Courtship of Eddie's Father / [same title]

Tom

Nov 15, 2011, 8:58:33 PM11/15/11
Let's not forget Star Trek...

I can see your point about Batman: The Animated Series, but I
respectfully disagree, to a point. Paul Dini and Bruce TImm did use
some elements of Burton's Batman, but it's primary influence was the
Dave and Max Fleischer Superman cartoons from the '40s.

Tom
Message has been deleted

Halmyre

Nov 16, 2011, 2:29:21 AM11/16/11
On Nov 16, 1:58 am, Tom <drso...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Nov 15, 6:04 pm, SparkoHeaps <sparkohe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 15, 1:35 pm, eddyg...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:
>
> > > Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> > > Mash/Mash
>
> > Quite a few animated TV shows were based on movies:
>
> > Fantastic Voyage
> > Planet of the Apes
> > Ghostbusters
> > Men In Black
> > James Bond Jr.
> > Star Wars Clone Wars
> > Ewoks
>
> > (And I can wholeheartedly recommend exactly 0 of these shows.)
>
> > There have been so many Batman cartoon shows, that it is difficult to
> > say which ones were inspired by movies, but the 1992 Batman show was
> > definitely inspired by Tim Burton's Batman.
>
> Let's not forget Star Trek...

???

Other way round, surely...

--
Halmyre

TT

Nov 16, 2011, 4:19:03 AM11/16/11
16.11.2011 0:42, Michael OConnor kirjoitti:
along with a
> series based on the John Carpenter movie Starman.

Mork & Mindy? :)

TT

Nov 16, 2011, 4:21:19 AM11/16/11
16.11.2011 9:29, Halmyre kirjoitti:

>> Let's not forget Star Trek...
>>

> ???
>
> Other way round, surely...

I think he was saying that the new Star Trek series were because of the
films. Don't know if true but sounds plausible.

Halmyre

Nov 16, 2011, 6:42:28 AM11/16/11
That sounds vaguely familiar - I'm sure I've heard that somewhere
else. But then M&M could equally well be based on "The Day The Earth
Stood Still"...

--
Halmyre

Halmyre

Nov 16, 2011, 6:45:05 AM11/16/11
On Nov 15, 8:35 pm, eddyg...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

The Third Man.

--
Halmyre

Mack A. Damia

Nov 16, 2011, 8:06:27 AM11/16/11
(And he was the good guy)

art...@yahoo.com

Nov 16, 2011, 8:28:21 AM11/16/11
On Nov 16, 2:23 am, poisoned rose <pro...@poisonedrose.com> wrote:
> This topic is waaaaaaaaay stale.

I'm still waiting for the TV series based on A Clockwork Orange

art...@yahoo.com

Nov 16, 2011, 8:29:29 AM11/16/11
On Nov 15, 3:35 pm, eddyg...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

Alice, based on Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Halmyre

Nov 16, 2011, 8:47:33 AM11/16/11
On Nov 15, 8:35 pm, eddyg...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

Are these two related, I wonder?

Big Jim McLain (1952) ---> McLain's Law (1981)

John Wayne played McLain in the film, with James Arness as his
sidekick. Arness then turns up on TV 29 years later playing a
character with the same name, although neither Wikipedia nor IMDB
mentions a connection.
If so, then the gap of 29 years must be the longest between source and
spin-off.

--
Halmyre

Tom

Nov 16, 2011, 12:13:07 PM11/16/11
> Halmyre- Hide quoted text -

Sorry for the confusion... SparkoHeaps provided a list of animated
shows based on movies and I added Star Trek. Clearly, I am wrong and
shouldn't have made that addition...

Tom

Bill Steele

Nov 16, 2011, 1:11:52 PM11/16/11
On 11/16/11 6:42 AM, Halmyre wrote:
> On Nov 16, 9:19 am, TT<as...@usenet.org> wrote:
>> 16.11.2011 0:42, Michael OConnor kirjoitti:
>> along with a
>>
>>> series based on the John Carpenter movie Starman.
>>
>> Mork& Mindy? :)
>
> That sounds vaguely familiar - I'm sure I've heard that somewhere
> else. But then M&M could equally well be based on "The Day The Earth
> Stood Still"...
>
> --
> Halmyre

More likely the play "Visit to a Small Planet."
(I refuse to give any credit to the Jerry Lewis movie version.)

Bill Steele

Nov 16, 2011, 1:12:38 PM11/16/11
On 11/15/11 4:02 PM, SLGreg wrote:
> Bell Book and Candle/Bewitched
> --
> greg

Most people would credit that to "I Married a Witch."

Bill Steele

Nov 16, 2011, 1:16:23 PM11/16/11
Depends what you mean by "inspired." On one hand you have what the
creators of the show were thinking about. On the other, what persuaded
the suits to go ahead with the show. For the latter, I'd credit the
success of the movies.

Bill Steele

Nov 16, 2011, 1:33:09 PM11/16/11
On 11/15/11 5:35 PM, Tom wrote:
> On Nov 15, 4:07 pm, Mack A. Damia<mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Nearly all of the above were properties that were specifically licensed
and developed for TV. (Did anyone mention Lassie?) There are also cases
where a TV show was created to emulate a movie. It can be argued that
American Graffiti spawned Happy Days -- and not just because Ron Howard
was in it -- and Star Wars motivated Battlestar Galactica. In these
cases the word "inspired" is appropriate, at least if you read
"inspired" as "Let's do something like that and everybody will watch it,
but make it different enough that we don't have to pay royalties."
Message has been deleted

Lawrence Chalmers

Nov 17, 2011, 12:36:25 PM11/17/11
In terms of the topic, did Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me spark the tv
series?

Halmyre

Nov 17, 2011, 1:32:25 PM11/17/11
On Nov 17, 5:36 pm, law...@webtv.net (Lawrence Chalmers) wrote:
> In terms of the topic, did Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me spark the tv
> series?

No, the TV series came first.

--
Halmyre

anim8rfsk

Nov 18, 2011, 10:10:11 AM11/18/11
Which gives you Firefox > Airwolf

--
sent from a borrowed ipad

anim8rfsk

Nov 18, 2011, 10:10:14 AM11/18/11
Tom <drs...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Nov 15, 4:07 pm, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Two movies?

globular

Nov 18, 2011, 10:14:04 AM11/18/11
On 16/11/2011 7:35 AM, john smith wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes

King Rat (1965) maybe a factor too with George Segal, though
not a German but Japanese prison camp.

> Mash/Mash

globular

Nov 18, 2011, 10:16:45 AM11/18/11
On 16/11/2011 7:35 AM, john smith wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

Logans Run and Planet Of The Apes in the 70s.
I wish I had something cleverer.

globular

Nov 18, 2011, 10:17:59 AM11/18/11
On 16/11/2011 7:35 AM, john smith wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

Here's a good one
National Velvet.

Frederick J. Barnett

Nov 18, 2011, 11:51:18 AM11/18/11
I take it I'm the only person who remembers the short-lived
Operation Petticoat series??

Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone
Message has been deleted

Steven L.

Nov 19, 2011, 7:20:06 AM11/19/11

"John Doe" <jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message

> Grendel <wsth...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 15, 3:02 pm, SLGreg <SLG...@madeitup.com> wrote:

> >> Bell Book and Candle/Bewitched
> >> --
> >> greg
> >
> > M.A.S.H. also gave you AfterMASh & Trapper John, M.D.
> >
> > Alien Nation / Alien Nation
> > Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel
> > Animal House / Delta House
> > Friday Night Lights / Friday Night Lights
> > Highlander / Highlander: The Series
> > Planet of the Apes / Planet of the Apes
> > Private Benjamin / Private Benjamin
> > RoboCop / RoboCop: The Series
> > Stargate / Stargate SG-1 / Stargate Atlantais / Stargate Universe /
> > Stargate Infinity
> > The Raiders of the Lost Ark / The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
>
> And a jillion pilots...

Let's not forget the sitcoms:

How to Marry a Millionaire\How to Marry a Millionaire
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore\Alice
The Odd Couple\The Odd Couple (or perhaps both were based on the
original play?)
Uncle Buck\Uncle Buck
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure\Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures
Ferris Bueller's Day Off\Ferris Bueller
Sitting Pretty (and sequels)\Mr. Belvedere

-- Steven L.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 19, 2011, 7:59:36 AM11/19/11
I vaguely recall a Batman serial shown at the local Saturday morning
kids club at the cinema in the early 1950s. Surely these weren't made
for television. I think thery were produced in the 1940s. Same with
the old Flash Gordon Series with Buster Crabbe. Serials made for the
cinema.

lugnut

Nov 19, 2011, 8:43:29 AM11/19/11

Seems like even though every other candidate has been mentioned,
nobody's brought up "In the Heat of the Night" yet.

(And did anyone mention "Friday the 13th: The Series" or "Freddy's
Nightmares"?)

-lugnut

Jim G.

Nov 19, 2011, 12:39:40 PM11/19/11
anim8rfsk sent the following on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:10:11 GMT:

> Which gives you Firefox > Airwolf

And Clint Eastwood > almost anyone else.

(And if any statement called for an absolute, it just might be that one.
But I'm being cautious here.)

--
Jim G.
Waukesha, WI

Steven L.

Nov 19, 2011, 3:12:02 PM11/19/11

"as...@usenet.org" <as...@usenet.org> wrote in message

> 16.11.2011 0:42, Michael OConnor kirjoitti:
> along with a
> > series based on the John Carpenter movie Starman.
>
> Mork & Mindy? :)

No. M & M was a spinoff of Happy Days.

-- Steven L.

Steven L.

Nov 19, 2011, 3:16:00 PM11/19/11

"lugnut" <lug...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
When you said Friday, I remembered that Friday Night Lights was a series
based on the movie of the same title.

-- Steven L.

Keeno

Nov 20, 2011, 12:41:05 AM11/20/11
On Nov 15, 3:35 pm, eddyg...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

--Monsieur Verdoux/None

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2011, 6:50:34 AM11/21/11
There were two Batman theatrical serials.

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2011, 6:50:37 AM11/21/11
I meant 'begat' not 'greater than' but your point holds true. :)

Jim G.

Nov 21, 2011, 1:46:18 PM11/21/11
anim8rfsk sent the following on Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:50:37 GMT:
> Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote:
> > anim8rfsk sent the following on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:10:11 GMT:
> >>
> >> Which gives you Firefox > Airwolf
> >
> > And Clint Eastwood > almost anyone else.
> >
> > (And if any statement called for an absolute, it just might be that one.
> > But I'm being cautious here.)
>
> I meant 'begat' not 'greater than'

Serves me right for being late to another party.

> but your point holds true. :)

Well, it's Clint. He gets any credit here.

Bill Steele

Nov 21, 2011, 2:13:35 PM11/21/11
On 11/21/11 6:50 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Mack A. Damia<mybaco...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:20:06 +0000, "Steven L."
>> <sdli...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> "John Doe"<jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message

With that,l we could take the "inspired" concept back a step further.
Flash Gordon inspired Lucas to create Star Wars, which in turn inspired
Battlestar Galactica and onward. Lucas and Spielberg set out to make
"the ultimate Saturday matinee serial" with Indiana Jones, which led to
a host of imitarors in movies and TV (e.g., the Librarian series.)

At any rate we can credit the old serials with legitimizing the idea of
making movies based on comic strips -- even though they usually did it
badly.

I'm trying to remember if it was a theatreical revival of the Batman
serials that launched the TV show or the other way around. At any rate,
we can credit the TV show for the Burton movie, since that started out
with the intention of making a comedy.

I guess the upshot of this discussion is that anything can be done in
any medium and probably will be.

Bill Steele

Nov 21, 2011, 2:16:28 PM11/21/11
On 11/19/11 8:43 AM, lugnut wrote:

> (And did anyone mention "Friday the 13th: The Series" or "Freddy's
> Nightmares"?)

Better described as "cashing in on titles" than "inspiring."

Frederick J. Barnett

Nov 21, 2011, 3:45:23 PM11/21/11
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:35:15 -0800, SLGreg <SLG...@madeitup.com>
wrote:

>I remember "Petticoat Junction," where three woman took baths in the
>water supply.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075551/

In case you thought I was making it up. :)

Mack A. Damia

Nov 21, 2011, 4:45:43 PM11/21/11
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:13:35 -0500, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
wrote:
(Snip)

"The character of Batman has appeared in various media aside from
comic books. The character has been developed as a vehicle for
newspaper syndicated comic strips, books, radio dramas, television,
and several theatrical feature films. The first adaptation of Batman
was as a daily newspaper comic strip which premiered on October 25,
1943. That same year the character was adapted in the 15-part serial
Batman, with Lewis Wilson becoming the first actor to portray Batman
on screen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman

Could hardly be televison, eh? I distinctly remember watching the
serial at the Saturday morning kids' club at our local cinema in the
early 1950s. It was B & W. of course.

Wull

Nov 21, 2011, 5:28:45 PM11/21/11

"Mack A. Damia" <mybaco...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
You forgot a good one Mac. There was a TV series that flopped but it was
from a super good movie "Starman". It was never any good but maybe it was
lacking Jeff Bridges. :-)

Wull

Michael OConnor

Nov 21, 2011, 6:39:55 PM11/21/11

> You forgot a good one Mac.  There was a TV series that flopped but it was
> from a super good movie "Starman".  It was never any good but maybe it was
> lacking Jeff Bridges.  :-)

I remember the Starman series, it starred Robert Hays of Airplane fame
in the Jeff Bridges role, and he had the son he fathered in the movie
with him. The show was inspired by The Fugitive and The Incredible
Hulk where the Starman and his son drifted from town to town every
week as they were on the run from the Federalis. I think they were
trying to find the boy's mother and I don't remember if they ever
found her. It was a huge disappointment compared to the movie.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 21, 2011, 8:10:29 PM11/21/11
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:28:45 -0600, "Wull" <wma...@sbcglobal.net>
I remember a lot of serials in the early to mid 1950s. Flash Gordon,
Batman, Rocketman. There was one I enjoyed called "Tim Tyler's Luck"
and could have been a foundation for Indiana Jones and, maybe Ramar of
the Jungle.

This is pretty good. I used to love the opening theme music. You can
only hear a bit at the beginning of this clip.''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijCTPSO23f8

Halmyre

Nov 22, 2011, 2:25:31 AM11/22/11
That reminds me of a Western-themed series about two brothers
searching for their sister who'd been kidnapped by Red Indians - I
suppose it could have vaguely been based on "The Searchers". It
dragged on for a couple of series until it was cancelled without any
resolution.

--
Halmyre

Dave The Rave

Nov 22, 2011, 10:39:10 AM11/22/11
On Nov 21, 8:10 pm, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:28:45 -0600, "Wull" <wmai...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Mack A. Damia" <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijCTPSO23f8- Hide quoted text -

There was Ron Eley (sp?) in "Doc Savage".

Dave The Rave

Keeno

Nov 22, 2011, 12:15:45 PM11/22/11
On Nov 15, 3:35 pm, eddyg...@msn.com (john smith) wrote:
> Stalag 17/ Hogans Heroes
>
> Mash/Mash

In the early sixties, they would cross promote by having a movie actor
with an upcoming movie "guest star" on a popular TV series. Not a bad
idea. I'd like to see that again. It's a great form of product
placement.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 22, 2011, 3:44:22 PM11/22/11
I found this website:

http://www.serialsquadron.com/

Lots of free serials.

http://www.youtube.com/user/serialsquadron

Michael OConnor

Nov 22, 2011, 6:21:40 PM11/22/11
I think you are thinking of the mid 70's show The Quest, which starred
Kurt Russell and Tim Matheson as two brothers who traveled from town
to town looking for their sister, who was taken by the Native
Americans. It only lasted one season, which I guess meant they didn't
find her.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074041/

Steven L.

Nov 22, 2011, 6:52:15 PM11/22/11

"Mack A. Damia" <mybaco...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I don't remember any series called "Rocketman."

There was a rocket-flying man called "Commando Cody" though. There were
a couple of competitors, all of whom were sometimes referred to as
"rocketmen."

-- Steven L.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 22, 2011, 7:15:23 PM11/22/11
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:52:15 +0000, "Steven L."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9DUjLDjco

Daryl

Nov 22, 2011, 7:58:06 PM11/22/11
She's still working as a hooker in Frisco. Not real busy these
days, though.

--
http://tvmoviesforfree.com
for free movies and Nostalgic TV. Tons of Military shows and

Halmyre

Nov 23, 2011, 2:19:15 AM11/23/11
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074041/- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that sounds familiar. I don't know how I got the idea that it
went on for so long - maybe it just seemed that way!

--
Halmyre