Dick Cavett Interviews Alfred Hitchcock

Mack A. Damia

Nov 26, 2010, 8:15:21 PM11/26/10

Mentioned in here before, but the program just played on TCM, it was
an interview done in 1972. Won't be shown again this month but maybe
December.

Fascinating, humorous and Hitchcock was such a brilliant man!

Clips are available on YouTube, I think, but they are not numbered.

Here's the first part.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-QAsi7Ge0

S D

Nov 26, 2010, 8:40:55 PM11/26/10
both Cavett and Al were trying their best to be funny .....without
success, saw a bit sounded like there was one of those idiot plants in
the audience who loudly laughs at and applauds every flat tire attempt
at humor.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 26, 2010, 8:58:39 PM11/26/10

Sounded to me as though the audience was nervous - perhaps because of
the stature of the man, or maybe it was something else.

But I thought AH's responses were brilliant and hillarious at times.
Cavett wasn''t so funny, but he appeared nervous, too.

Old Movie Fan

Nov 26, 2010, 8:55:05 PM11/26/10
This is a favorite of mine since Hitchcock explains many things
including the McGuffin, and his attitude towards actors.
The year was 1972, and Hitch was also there introducing his latest
film of the time, "Frenzy."

As he described the scene where the dead nude body bounces out the
back of the potato truck (when the driver slams on his brakes), Hitch
almost looked disappointed when Cavette didn't ask him how such a thing
was possible?
According to the laws of physics (that old, 'body in motion' law),
when the driver slams on the brakes, whatever was in back of the truck's
cab would be pushed towards the cab and could not pop out the back (as
happens in the film).

It's only a moovie....

Hitchcock probably had a answer prepared for this, but couldn't use it
since the question was never asked.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 26, 2010, 9:17:30 PM11/26/10

Remember the Zapruder film showing JFK's head snap to the back as if
he had been shot from the front?

You never know what's going to happen under those circumstances.

If there were other sacks of potatoes in the van, the sack with the
body could have shot forward and bounced back and out of the van.

Simple. I've had similar experiences, too (not with bodies).

Old Movie Fan

Nov 26, 2010, 10:51:37 PM11/26/10
If you've seen "Frenzy," you should understand my point. The script
says that the body pops out...so that's what happens.

It a silly comic relief scene anyway.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 26, 2010, 11:53:50 PM11/26/10
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 22:51:37 -0500, BigMo...@webtv.net (Old Movie
Fan) wrote:

> If you've seen "Frenzy," you should understand my point. The script
>says that the body pops out...so that's what happens.

I did see Frenzy, and the scene of the body popping out is shown in
the Dick Cavett interview. It only reinforces what I said in my last
post. I don't care what the laws of physics say; if you are driving
an open van at, say, 20 or 30 mph and you break suddenly, you'll lose
most everything in the back.

>It a silly comic relief scene anyway.

I delivered milk to grocery stores one summer in the 1970s. The
bottled milk was stacked in crates in the back of a van. The van's
back door didn't latch properly, and at an intersection I had to break
suddenly. The back door flew open and most of the crates slid out
into the middle of a busy intersection. Fortunately, about a half
dozen kind strangers rushed into the street and cleared the
intersection, but there was milk all over the place.

That was a bit of a comedy.

Blue

Nov 27, 2010, 12:09:44 AM11/27/10

I've tried and failed to find the Cavett show when he had Jerry Lee
Lewis on and was completely taken aback as ol' Jerry Lee jumped up on
the piano and put on one helluva show!

Mack A. Damia

Nov 27, 2010, 1:28:15 AM11/27/10

Think carefully.

If you do a search under Dick Cavett, you get hundreds of hits, and
not one of them mentions Jerry Lee Lewis. A performance of that
magnitude would be noted somewhere, and there is absolutely nothing.
You can find practicaly every other entertainer who appeared on DC,
too, but no JLL.

Bill Anderson

Nov 27, 2010, 9:55:55 PM11/27/10

I saw it and saying Cavett was "taken aback" is an understatement.
Jerry Lee was drunk or stoned or both and was rude to the band during
the performance, accusing them of being unable to keep up with him. Oh
it happened all right, but he was out of control and I thought it was a
train wreck.

Your comment that you couldn't Google a mention of this got me looking
and sonofagun, I really couldn't find anything better than this:

http://snipurl.com/1jeh2f

But it happened. I saw it. An unforgettable disaster.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Mack A. Damia

Nov 27, 2010, 10:08:25 PM11/27/10

Link doesn't work for me.

>But it happened. I saw it. An unforgettable disaster.

Perhaps that's why it's unavailable. Lewis put the lock on it after
he saw it or maybe Cavett destroyed it.

Bill Anderson

Nov 27, 2010, 10:24:24 PM11/27/10

Try this then. You'll probably have to copy the whole thing and paste
into your browser:

http://books.google.com/books?id=VpeGEPCKsesC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=i+was+supposed+to+deliver+%22jerry+lee+lewis%22+drunk+on+%22dick+cavett+show%22&source=bl&ots=U_kCq22hf0&sig=pj0XaHNkJ5xPfAnypauf3CTpw3E&hl=en&ei=V8PxTMnqCYH6lwf-otSfDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=i%20was%20supposed%20to%20deliver%20%22jerry%20lee%20lewis%22%20drunk%20on%20%22dick%20cavett%20show%22&f=false

>> But it happened. I saw it. An unforgettable disaster.
>
> Perhaps that's why it's unavailable. Lewis put the lock on it after
> he saw it or maybe Cavett destroyed it.

Hard to believe, but maybe.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 27, 2010, 10:40:05 PM11/27/10
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:24:24 -0500, Bill Anderson
<billand...@yahoo.com> wrote:

What am I supposed to read on your link? As far as I can tell,
there's nothing about Cavett.

Doesn't prove a thing, and I think there would be at least a record of
it somewhere reported by someone if it was that outrageous.

These things don't fly under the public's radar, so where is proof of
it?

Bill Anderson

Nov 27, 2010, 10:51:59 PM11/27/10

I don't have proof of it; just a book excerpt that indicates Lewis was
delivered drunk to the door of the Cavett studio. The story doesn't
tell whether he went inside, but implies he didn't. How come you can't
see the link? I'm not going to type the whole thing, but when I click
on it I see:

"A former employee of Mercury Records in New York tells of the night he
was supposed to deliver Jerry Lee to the ABC TV studio to tape the "Dick
Cavett Show." Jerry Lee was very, very drunk." And it goes on.

You don't see that?

Mack A. Damia

Nov 27, 2010, 11:01:29 PM11/27/10
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:51:59 -0500, Bill Anderson
<billand...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm looking at the page after clicking on your full link. There is
nothing to that effect except what you wrote in the search window at
the top.

A one paragraph synopsis of the book and then several reviews
underneath.

Bill Anderson

Nov 27, 2010, 11:12:33 PM11/27/10

Weird. OK, here's the whole paragraph:

A former employee of Mercury Records in New York tells of the night he
was supposed to deliver Jerry Lee to the ABC TV studio to tape the "Dick

Cavett Show." Jerry Lee was very, very drunk. "Are you sure you want
to do the show?" the employee kept asking him. And Jerry Lee kept
nodding and falling back asleep. The limousine pulled up in front of
the studio, twenty minutes before taping, and the employee shook Jerry
Lee and his manager, Judd Phillips, awake. "Is this the bus depot?"
they asked, peering out at some private geometry of gin.

That's all I could find. The phrase "was supposed to deliver" seems to
suggest Jerry Lee didn't do the show. I strongly suspect, but can't
prove, he did go inside and the "supposed to" phrase is just poor
wording. The paragraph unfortunately leaves what happened next to the
reader's imagination.

But I did once see Jerry Lee Lewis perform drunk on the "Dick Cavett Show."

I'll bet if you Google a generous phrase from that paragraph you'll find
it online.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 27, 2010, 11:26:33 PM11/27/10
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:12:33 -0500, Bill Anderson
<billand...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Tell me exactly where it is on the page. What does "your" page look
like?

If I Google any part of what you wrote and put it in quotes, I get the
page AGAIN, but there is nothing, and I am not able to cache the
phrase (highlight it).

I also got a link to Facebook, and I get the first sentence of what
you wrote and a lot of other garbage about JLL.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 27, 2010, 11:29:19 PM11/27/10

This is the entire page copied and pasted:

Country: the twisted roots of rock 'n' roll
Nick Tosches
19 Reviews
Da Capo Press, 1996 - Music - 290 pages
Celebrating the dark origins of our most American music, Country
reveals a wild shadowland of history that encompasses blackface
minstrels and yodeling cowboys; honky-tonk hell and rockabilly heaven;
medieval myth and musical miscegenation; sex, drugs, murder; and rays
of fierce illumination on Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and others, famous
and forgotten, whose demonology is America's own. Profusely and
superbly illustrated, Country stands as one of the most brilliant
explorations of American musical culture ever written.« Less

Add to My Library ?
What people are saying - Write a review
User ratings
5 stars 3

4 stars 6

3 stars 4

2 stars 2

1 star 2

Review: Country: The Twisted Roots of Rock 'N' Roll
User Review - Susan - Goodreads -
OH. MY. GOD. First of all, let me say that I worked in indie/collector
record stores off and on for over 10 years. I've seen record
collectors up close and personal, and honestly I really admire their
... Read full review

Review: Country: The Twisted Roots of Rock 'N' Roll
User Review - Susan - Goodreads -
OH. MY. GOD. First of all, let me say that I worked in indie/collector
record stores off and on for over 10 years. I've seen record
collectors up close and personal, and honestly I really admire their
... Read full review

All 19 reviews »
Related books
‹Where Dead Voices Gather
Nick ToschesCountry music
Richard CarlinHellfire
Nick ToschesWorkin' man blues
Gerald W. Haslam, Alexandra R. Haslam, Richard ChonCreating country
music
Richard A. PetersonCountry music
Kurt Wolff, Orla DuaneHistory of Rock and Roll
Thomas E. LarsonUnsung heroes of rock 'n' roll
Nick ToschesDino
Nick Tosches›
References to this book
From other books
Celtic music: a complete guide?
June Skinner Sawyers
No preview available - 2001

Celtic music: a complete guide?
June Skinner Sawyers
No preview available - 2001

All Book Search results »From Google Scholar
Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix: Juxtaposition and Transformation" All ...
Albin J Zak III - 2005 - Journal of American Musicological Society
An Excursion into the Lower Depths: Hollywood, Urban Primitivism ...
Peter Stanfield - 2002 - Cinema Journal
Country Music And The Souls Of White Folk
ERICH THOMAS NUNN - 2002
From The Minstrel Mask
Jesse Nolan
All Scholar search results »About the author (1996)
Nick Tosches is the author of Hellfire, Unsung Heroes of Rock 'n'
Roll, Power on Earth, Cut Numbers, Dino, and Trinities.
Bibliographic information
Title Country: the twisted roots of rock 'n' roll
Volume 713 of A @Da Capo paperback
Author Nick Tosches
Edition illustrated, unabridged
Publisher Da Capo Press, 1996
ISBN 0306807130, 9780306807138
Length 290 pages
Subjects Country music
Country music - History and criticism
Country music/ History and criticism
Music / General
Music / Genres & Styles / Country & Bluegrass
Music / Genres & Styles / Rock
Social Science / Sociology / General

Export Citation BiBTeX EndNote RefMan

Mack A. Damia

Nov 27, 2010, 11:45:53 PM11/27/10

I went to Amazon.com and found the book. I was able to do a search
and found the paragraph you wrote.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/0306807130?_encoding=UTF8&query=Dick%20Cavett#reader_0306807130

But that's all it says, and if his conduct was so outrageous as you
and the OP have stated, don't you think there would be some written
account of it? You have searched yourself and found nothing except
this one paragraph.

These kinds of incidents are always recorded in some fashion for
posterity, so I don;t quite understand it. It's not a matter of
doubting your word, but memory is tricky business, and we tend to get
our facts mixed up and confused with others.

Blue

Nov 27, 2010, 11:55:21 PM11/27/10
On Nov 27, 9:55 pm, Bill Anderson <billanderson...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/2010 1:28 AM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:09:44 -0800 (PST), Blue
> > <bluescr...@windstream.net>  wrote:
> I am the Mighty Favog- Hide quoted text -

I didn't think it was a train wreck! Probably drunk, but don't
remember a train wreck metaphor deal.

Bill Anderson

Nov 28, 2010, 12:35:42 AM11/28/10

I know. But I saw it.