Barry Fitzgerald/Arthur Shields

Noctur...@yahoo.com

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Has anyone ever seen a movie (for example Above Suspicion) and thought to
themselves,"Hey, that looks like Barry Fitzgerald, but it can't be. He's too
tall and his face isn't impish enough". It's happened to me a couple of
times. Finally I checked out Barry Fitzgerald on the IMDB and found out he
had a brother named Arthur Shields who was also an actor. So that explains
some sightings in some B-movies that I couldn't believe Fitzgerald woud do!
And why sometimes he doesn't look quiiiiiite like he's supposed to!

Paul Penna

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

In article <19980228025...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, w6...@aol.com
(W6ou) wrote:

> >Noctur...@yahoo.com comments on Arthur Shields:

> >So that explains
> >some sightings in some B-movies that I couldn't believe Fitzgerald woud do!
>

> Actually, Fitzgerald appeared in more B movies than Shields so it may actually
> have been Fitzgerald.

Shields was also "That little old winemaker... me!" for those of you
nostalgic for adverstising catch-phrases once on the lips of all (in this
case, in the 1960s).

Paul Penna
To reply by email, remove "antispammo" from the address in header.

Paul Penna

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

In article <tterrace-ya023480...@news.wco.com>,

tter...@antispammo.wco.com (Paul Penna) mistakenly wrote:

> In article <19980228025...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, w6...@aol.com
> (W6ou) wrote:
>
> > >Noctur...@yahoo.com comments on Arthur Shields:
> >
> > >So that explains
> > >some sightings in some B-movies that I couldn't believe Fitzgerald
woud do!

> > Actually, Fitzgerald appeared in more B movies than Shields so it may
actually
> > have been Fitzgerald.
>
> Shields was also "That little old winemaker... me!" for those of you
> nostalgic for adverstising catch-phrases once on the lips of all (in this
> case, in the 1960s).

OOPS! Getting my ethnic character actors mixed up. The Little Old Winemaker
was actually Ludwig Stossel. Shields, however, was well-known at the time
for another wine TV commercial, whose catch-phrase was "Put a rose in your
glass." Unlike Stossel, whose Winemaker character's voice was dubbed by
another, Shields got to voice his own line.

Message has been deleted

BrianVN

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

>>So that explains
>>some sightings in some B-movies that I couldn't believe Fitzgerald woud do!
>
>Actually, Fitzgerald appeared in more B movies than Shields so it may
>actually
>have been Fitzgerald.
>
>.

Fitzgerald and Shields were in the same movie together: John Wayne's "The Quiet
Man". Fitzgerald was the matchmaker who gets Wayne & Maureen O'Hara together, &
Shields was the village priest and boxing fan who figures out Wayne's secret.

Noctur...@yahoo.com

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Did they play brothers in this western? Because their voices and features
are so similar audiences (more perspicacious than me!) must have noticed it!

> >.
> >
> Fitzgerald and Shields were in the same movie together: John Wayne's "The Quiet
> Man". Fitzgerald was the matchmaker who gets Wayne & Maureen O'Hara together, &
> Shields was the village priest and boxing fan who figures out Wayne's secret.

BrianVN

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

>Did they play brothers in this western? Because their voices and features
>are so similar audiences (more perspicacious than me!) must have noticed it!
>
>> >.
>> >
>> Fitzgerald and Shields were in the same movie together: John Wayne's "The
>Quiet
>> Man". Fitzgerald was the matchmaker who gets Wayne & Maureen O'Hara
>together, &
>> Shields was the village priest and boxing fan who figures out Wayne's
>secret.

It wasn't a western. Wayne played an Irish-American prizefighter who inherited
some property in Ireland when his mother died. He killed a man in the ring in
the States, so he quit boxing & went to live in Ireland. I don't believe
Shields & Fitzgerald played brothers in the film, tho I haven't seen in it
quite some time, so I could be wrong, but I don't believe so.

Jim Beaver

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

They were not brothers in THE QUIET MAN. They also both appeared in
Ford's THE LONG VOYAGE HOME. They didn't play brothers there, either.

Jim Beaver

Jack Heraty

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

BAJ...@prodigy.com (Jim Beaver) wrote:

They were also both in "How Green Was My Valley". Shields played the
sinister preacher, Walter Pidgeon's and Maureen O'Hara's nemesis;
Fitzgerald played Daibando's (Rhys Williams) drinking buddy, who
helped him beat up Roddy McDowall's schoolmaster. Obviously, they
didn't play brothers there either.

Williams: "I'm not accustomed to speaking in public."

Fitzgerald: "Only in public houses."

BTW, the real family name was Shields.
--
Jack Heraty

The movies are great medicine/
Thank you, Thomas Edison/
For giving us The Best Years of Our Lives

- The Statler Brothers

Noctur...@yahoo.com

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

I'm surprised they could be in the same movie and not play brothers. From
physical features to voice they are soooooo similar - tho Arthur was the
larger framed of the two, I'd say.

n article <34fdeb82...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>,