The 10 Greatest Hollywood Films Ever Made

The Giant Brain

Nov 5, 2009, 5:06:22 PM11/5/09
Dinner At Eight
Frankenstein
Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
The Adventures Of Robin Hood
The Maltese Falcon
42nd Street
Casablanca
The Wizard of Oz
The Godfather

YMMV

David Oberman

Nov 5, 2009, 8:00:57 PM11/5/09
"The Giant Brain" <gi...@brain.invalid> wrote:

>Dinner At Eight
>Frankenstein

>Citizen Kane
>The Adventures Of Robin Hood
>The Maltese Falcon
>42nd Street

>The Wizard of Oz
>The Godfather

These are the ones I really like.

____
On the question of playing continuo during a Mozart concerto, I can only
reaffirm my belief that it is perfectly fine as long as it is inaudible.

-- Charles Rosen, "The Classical Style"

Apteryx

Nov 6, 2009, 5:08:16 AM11/6/09
David Oberman wrote:
> "The Giant Brain" <gi...@brain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Frankenstein
>> Citizen Kane

>> The Maltese Falcon
>> 42nd Street
>> The Godfather

And these are the ones of those that I really like (where "really like"
= "in my top 500")

Query: If later posters chip away at this list (now of 5) to remove ones
they don't "really like", what will be the last one standing?

Apteryx

mikeos

Nov 6, 2009, 5:55:50 AM11/6/09
Apteryx wrote:
> David Oberman wrote:
>> "The Giant Brain" <gi...@brain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Citizen Kane
>>> The Maltese Falcon
>>> The Godfather

In my case.

But I'm adding:-

On the Watefront.

moviePig

Nov 6, 2009, 8:34:25 AM11/6/09
> On the Waterfront.

And, of course, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

(just kidding)

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

steve

Nov 6, 2009, 10:22:29 AM11/6/09

I dont think Id include any of those in my list. Lets see (off the top of
my head...and checking dates)

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Stagecoach (1938)
Beau Gest (1939)
Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935)
Midnight Mary (1933)
Prisoner of Zendas (1937)
The Story of GI Joe (1945)
Double Harness (1933)
Shanghai Express (1932)

steve
--
"DONT TREAD ON ME"
Gadsden Flag

Opry phantom

Nov 6, 2009, 1:39:50 PM11/6/09

Sheesh, and I thought I was old fashioned. Except for the last,
they're all WW2 and earlier. You should have placed at least one
Silent. Uh, SUNRISE; CROWD; GENERAL...

Madara0806

Nov 6, 2009, 1:43:58 PM11/6/09
On Nov 5, 5:06 pm, "The Giant Brain" <gi...@brain.invalid> wrote:

\

> Citizen Kane
>
> The Maltese Falcon

> Casablanca

Well, you got three of them right.

David Oberman

Nov 6, 2009, 2:43:22 PM11/6/09
Opry phantom <xanth...@charter.net> wrote:

> Sheesh, and I thought I was old fashioned. Except for the last,
>they're all WW2 and earlier. You should have placed at least one
>Silent. Uh, SUNRISE; CROWD; GENERAL...

Aside from the Griffith treasure trove & Stroheim's stuff & the great
feature-length comedies of Chaplin, Keaton, & Lloyd, I think the two
greatest Hollywood silents are THE THIEF OF BAGDAD & THE FOUR HORSEMEN
OF THE APOCALYPSE.

wull

Nov 6, 2009, 2:48:53 PM11/6/09

"Madara0806" <madar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

\

> Casablanca

How could anyone who goes to the movies skip GWTW? It is the all time
biggest money maker ever. That alone is a sign of greatness.

Wull

Halmyre

Nov 6, 2009, 2:59:47 PM11/6/09
In article <hd1uj6$gs6$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, wma...@sbcglobal.net
says...

Well, it's a sign of popularity. McDonalds is popular.

(duck and cover)

--
Halmyre

This is the most powerful sigfile in the world and will probably blow your
head clean off.

moviePig

Nov 6, 2009, 3:16:05 PM11/6/09
On Nov 6, 2:48 pm, "wull" <wmai...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "Madara0806" <madara0...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yeah, but it's not a great sign of greatness...

The Giant Brain

Nov 6, 2009, 3:23:59 PM11/6/09

"Opry phantom" <xanth...@charter.net> wrote in message

I dislike silent films...

moviePig

Nov 6, 2009, 3:37:19 PM11/6/09
On Nov 6, 3:23 pm, "The Giant Brain" <gi...@brain.invalid> wrote:
> "Opry phantom" <xanthus...@charter.net> wrote in message

Hear, hear...

steve

Nov 6, 2009, 4:01:52 PM11/6/09

On 6-Nov-2009, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> > I dislike silent films...
>
> Hear, hear...

LOL! Good one.

David Oberman

Nov 8, 2009, 1:45:40 PM11/8/09
"wull" <wma...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>How could anyone who goes to the movies skip GWTW?

I like the screen tests better than the final product.

>It is the all time
>biggest money maker ever. That alone is a sign of greatness.

I disagree that commercial success necessarily equates to formalistic
or cultural greatness in the arts. That view also leads to the
conclusion that commercial failure necessarily equates to bad art, by
which view we would have to consider Beethoven's Great Fugue a failed
work of art.

wull

Nov 8, 2009, 3:17:35 PM11/8/09

"David Oberman" <dobe...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message

> "wull" <wma...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>How could anyone who goes to the movies skip GWTW?
>
> I like the screen tests better than the final product.
>
>>It is the all time
>>biggest money maker ever. That alone is a sign of greatness.
>
> I disagree that commercial success necessarily equates to formalistic
> or cultural greatness in the arts. That view also leads to the
> conclusion that commercial failure necessarily equates to bad art, by
> which view we would have to consider Beethoven's Great Fugue a failed
> work of art.

I am talking about the top money maker for the last 70 years. Popularity
with the masses means greatness
whether you think so or not. IMO the movie was flawless and the cast and
story were perfect.

Wull

william

Nov 8, 2009, 3:39:22 PM11/8/09
On Nov 8, 3:17 pm, "wull" <wmai...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I am talking about the top money maker for the last 70 years.  Popularity
> with the masses means greatness
> whether you think so or not.

Huh? Then according to who? You? Popularity means just that:
popularity. Somewhere between the cretins and the cineastes there
might be a space where a film can be evaluated. But who effing cares?
Watch everything and stick with what you like. If you can't make up
your own mind then shut up and watch TV. I've watched classics that
have put me to sleep and B-movies that had me laughing my ass off. I
don't need to justify what I watch as being "great." Do you think it
will rub off on you? That you'll be great by association? Or that you
speak for the "people." What nonsense. That's the kind of delusion
that ruined many a critic.

William
www.williamahearn.com

Halmyre

Nov 8, 2009, 3:57:27 PM11/8/09
In article <hd7912$dl4$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, wma...@sbcglobal.net
says...

> "David Oberman" <dobe...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > "wull" <wma...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >>How could anyone who goes to the movies skip GWTW?
> >
> > I like the screen tests better than the final product.
> >
> >>It is the all time
> >>biggest money maker ever. That alone is a sign of greatness.
> >
> > I disagree that commercial success necessarily equates to formalistic
> > or cultural greatness in the arts. That view also leads to the
> > conclusion that commercial failure necessarily equates to bad art, by
> > which view we would have to consider Beethoven's Great Fugue a failed
> > work of art.
>
> I am talking about the top money maker for the last 70 years. Popularity
> with the masses means greatness
> whether you think so or not.

Don't talk shite. Popularity does not mean greatness. Think McDonalds, Dan
Brown, Garth Brooks, Fox TV.

wull

Nov 8, 2009, 4:11:09 PM11/8/09

"Halmyre" <no....@this.address> wrote in message

Hal you have just named three greats, I do not know who Dan Brown is. If
you had mentioned Pres. Obama, you might have a point.
Mr. Kroc's widow left a sizeable fortune to charity, I think. That alone
indicates greatness.

I have to assume you are thinking Aristotle, Socrates, Alexander, Julius
Caesar, Washington and Lincoln?
There are many world class great events. GWTW just happens to be one of
them.

Wull

michael

Nov 8, 2009, 8:28:36 PM11/8/09
I noticed you mentioned a train movie I haven't seen. I rather like train
movies, so I had a look at that Von Sternberg movie Shanghai Express. It had
some wonderful images of steam locomotives, crowds on the plaforms in the
trainstations and a nice little love story between the doctor and lost, but
repentant slut Shanghai Lilly. I really, really liked it, although I cannot
place it on the list of the best film ever made.

"steve" <st...@steve.com> skrev i melding

David Oberman

Nov 8, 2009, 8:55:33 PM11/8/09
"wull" <wma...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>There are many world class great events. GWTW just happens to be one of
>them.

You just like Vivien Leigh.

Did you see that funny little moment in the British VL documentary on
YouTube where the nosy reporter asks an older (post-divorce) Leigh,
"May one inquire into your personal life?"? She doesn't waste a
moment, in her poshest Buckinghamshire accent: "No, one may not
inquire."

David Oberman

Nov 8, 2009, 8:56:33 PM11/8/09
"michael" <gru...@yahoo.no> wrote:

>I noticed you mentioned a train movie I haven't seen. I rather like train
>movies, so I had a look at that Von Sternberg movie Shanghai Express. It had
>some wonderful images of steam locomotives, crowds on the plaforms in the
>trainstations and a nice little love story between the doctor and lost, but
>repentant slut Shanghai Lilly. I really, really liked it, although I cannot
>place it on the list of the best film ever made.

Well, it took more than one man to change that film into a great one.

wull

Nov 8, 2009, 9:29:00 PM11/8/09

> "wull" <wma...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>There are many world class great events. GWTW just happens to be one of
>>them.
>
> You just like Vivien Leigh.

Absolutely, probably the best ever. I did see the Scarlett O'Hara tryouts
and she was the best. But I also saw the Rebeccs tryouts and Joan
Fontain was better than her, I could not believe it.

> Did you see that funny little moment in the British VL documentary on
> YouTube where the nosy reporter asks an older (post-divorce) Leigh,
> "May one inquire into your personal life?"? She doesn't waste a
> moment, in her poshest Buckinghamshire accent: "No, one may not
> inquire."

I see very little British TV of any kind. But mostly, all British movies
are very good.

Wull