Netflix Is Abandoning DVDs, Customers Who Prefer DVDs

Mr. Hole the Magnificent

Jan 19, 2011, 12:18:05 AM1/19/11
by: Tim Grierson

When Netflix started up more than 10 years ago, its sales pitch was
pretty simple: Hey, subscribe to us, and we'll mail you DVDs that you
can then mail back to us without worrying about any late fees. But as
the rental market moves toward online and on-demand models, Netflix's
iconic red envelopes may eventually become as antiquated as VHS tapes.
Beefing up their streaming business, Netflix has predicted that in
about two years their economics will be geared more toward their
"Watch Instantly" service than through physical discs. For that to
happen, Netflix will have to nudge their DVD-loyal customers to the
new platform. And on Monday, the company learned just how hard that
may be.

In a seemingly innocent 109-word blog post, Netflix director of
product management Jamie Odell announced, "We're removing the 'Add to
DVD Queue' option from streaming devices," suggesting that it was
being done so that the company "can concentrate on offering you the
titles that are available to watch instantly." Granted, the Netflix
website still allows DVD queue updating, but this post, dropped on the
morning of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, created an immediate firestorm
of comments -- most of them very, very angry.

"Clearly Netflix wants to send less discs through the mail, and
therefore wants to make it more difficult for the user to add to their
queue in furtherance of that," wrote "Eldendor." "Horrible idea!"
wrote "usrbingeek." "Especially when there are still few titles
available for streaming and the titles that you do have, seem to have
very narrow license windows." On and on came the complaints, with most
responders saying essentially (1) I like having access to DVDs even if
I use a PS3 or mobile phone to stream movies on Netflix; and (2) there
aren't enough good titles available on "Watch Instantly." "I think
this is a totally foolish move on your part. I like to be able to add
movies to my DVD queue from my iPhone," commented "b.dsign." "[I]f
this means that netflix is going to add more movies to watch instantly
i support the change," "Beto" wrote, "but if they are not, then it's
just a bad idea."

As of yet Netflix hasn't released any response, which, really, is
their response. Whether customers like or not, Netflix knows that the
future is moving away from physical discs and toward instant access.
And, really, none of us who use Netflix should be surprised: Back in
November the company announced that they were offering a new lower
subscription rate for streaming-only customers while increasing the
rate for people who still wanted DVDs. Right now, if you want DVDs
from Netflix, the company is less than thrilled with you: They need
you to get used to the idea of streaming films and TV shows so that
you'll drop the physical disc habit: a craving, ironically, that they
themselves created thanks to the ease of their iconic red envelopes.

But while Netflix is slowly discouraging the continued interest in
DVDs, they face a different challenge even if their business model
transformation succeeds. As Slate reported, if Netflix's streaming
business takes off the way they think it will, it could prove a
serious drain on America's broadband capacity, which is far less
nimble than other countries'. Netflix is angering customers right now
because the company wants to do away with DVDs: We don't even want to
think of a future where Netflix angers the entire Internet community
because too many people are streaming old episodes of "Friends" at the
same time.

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/432-netflix-is-abandoning-dvds-customers-who-prefer-dvds

David O.

Jan 19, 2011, 12:51:14 AM1/19/11
What happens when my Internet provider (Verizon) starts blocking
Netflix Instant Watch?

rec.arts.movies.past-films

Jan 19, 2011, 2:36:32 AM1/19/11
On Jan 18, 11:51 pm, David O. <DavidOber...@verizon.net> wrote:
> What happens when my Internet provider (Verizon) starts blocking
> Netflix Instant Watch?

You cry.

Obveeus

Jan 19, 2011, 7:55:08 AM1/19/11

"David O." <DavidO...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> What happens when my Internet provider (Verizon) starts blocking
> Netflix Instant Watch?

Verizon gets sued? Seriously, I think that internet providers have every
right to charge for bandwidth, but no right to decide which content gets
delivered.

As for the Netflix issue, are there really people using their streaming
devices to 'manage their queue'? I suppose that there are...the same people
that watch movies on a cell phone, but seriously, this seems like it should
be a non-issue for Netflix users. Don't most people Netflix users use
something more useful (computer or other web capable device) to 'manage
their queue' rather than some streaming device?

David O.

Jan 19, 2011, 10:05:14 AM1/19/11
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:55:08 -0500, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>> What happens when my Internet provider (Verizon) starts blocking
>> Netflix Instant Watch?
>
>Verizon gets sued? Seriously, I think that internet providers have every
>right to charge for bandwidth, but no right to decide which content gets
>delivered.

But I think that day is coming. Look at what is happening now with
Comcast.

Obveeus

Jan 19, 2011, 11:26:49 AM1/19/11

"David O." <DavidO...@verizon.net> wrote in message

The buyout of NBC was approved by the government with some stipulations that
Comcast cannot deal unfairly with the other broadcast networks. I did read
another article that suggested that the merger might cause ESPN the most
problems as the new Comcast/NBCU player will be in a good position to scoop
up sports programming.

Goro

Jan 19, 2011, 1:52:16 PM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 8:05 am, David O. <DavidOber...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:55:08 -0500, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> What happens when my Internet provider (Verizon) starts blocking
> >> Netflix Instant Watch?
>
> >Verizon gets sued?  Seriously, I think that internet providers have every
> >right to charge for bandwidth, but no right to decide which content gets
> >delivered.
>
> But I think that day is coming. Look at what is happening now with
> Comcast.

ISP WANT that to happen and thus are fighting Net Neutrality laws.
Although on the other side, they don't want to be responsible for what
travels along their "pipes" (eg., child pr0n).

I think there's going to be ALOT of pressure to not let this happen,
however, it might occur in a sneakier fashion via bandwidth caps. All
of the ISPs have monthly bandwidth caps and could do something like:

(a) Netflix counts against your bandwidth limit
(b) Hulu does not count against your bandwidth limit.

or

(a) Lower download speeds from Netflix
(b) Higher download speeds from Hulu/NBC.com/prefered sites.

Until we have some way of breaking the monopoly/duopolies of ISPs
(cable cos), then we're pretty scrood.

-goro-
and meanwhile, i'm wondering why i have 15Mbps down but <1Mbps up. :P

nick

Jan 19, 2011, 5:02:52 PM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 7:55 am, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
> "David O." <DavidOber...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > What happens when my Internet provider (Verizon) starts blocking
> > Netflix Instant Watch?
>
> Verizon gets sued?  Seriously, I think that internet providers have every
> right to charge for bandwidth, but no right to decide which content gets
> delivered.
>
> As for the Netflix issue, are there really people using their streaming
> devices to 'manage their queue'?

I dunno. The Netflix iPhone/iPod app I use allows you to add
something to your queue if it's not available for Instant Watch but
that's about it. You can't manage a queue, re-arrange the order or
delete things or anything like that.

Ed Stasiak

Jan 20, 2011, 3:18:50 PM1/20/11
> Mr. Hole the Magnificent

> For that to happen, Netflix will have to nudge their
> DVD-loyal customers to the new platform.

It's my understanding that the video quality of streaming
is noticeably worse then DVD (let alone Blu-Ray) and
that NetFlix's selection of stream-able videos is far less
then what's available on DVD.

Streaming sounds like a convenient tool, both for the
company and customers but if the picture looks like shit
and there's hardly anything to choose from, why would
I sign up?

Obveeus

Jan 20, 2011, 3:54:19 PM1/20/11

"Ed Stasiak" <esta...@att.net> wrote:
>> Mr. Hole the Magnificent
>>
>> For that to happen, Netflix will have to nudge their
>> DVD-loyal customers to the new platform.
>
> It's my understanding that the video quality of streaming
> is noticeably worse then DVD (let alone Blu-Ray)

I haven't found that to be the case. Then again, I don't see much/any real
video difference between a regular DVD and a Blue-Ray when played by my
Blu-Ray player. It seems that mostly all 'Blu-Ray' is offering is little
menus of clickable trivia and add-ons like that.

> and that NetFlix's selection of stream-able videos is far less
> then what's available on DVD.

That is true. NetFlix still restrict lots of their offering to the snail
mail only option.

> Streaming sounds like a convenient tool, both for the
> company and customers but if the picture looks like shit
> and there's hardly anything to choose from, why would
> I sign up?

Sign up for the snail mail + streaming option. That way, you can still get
the special stuff you want (snail mail) and you won't ever run out of things
to watch between deliveries because you have the streaming option.

Message has been deleted

David O.

Jan 20, 2011, 9:40:16 PM1/20/11
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:18:50 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
<esta...@att.net> wrote:

>It's my understanding that the video quality of streaming
>is noticeably worse then DVD (let alone Blu-Ray) and
>that NetFlix's selection of stream-able videos is far less
>then what's available on DVD.

I don't notice a difference streaming onto my 17.3-inch laptop or
watching a disc on my HDTV.

But what really angers me is that many of the programs available for
streaming are SHORTENED from the discs!!

Ed Stasiak

Jan 20, 2011, 9:55:03 PM1/20/11
> David O.
> Brian Kraft
> Obveeus
> > Ed Stasiak

> > why would I sign up?
>
> Sign up for the snail mail + streaming option.

I primarily use NetFlix for TV series (watching "The Tudors"
right now) and have heard that hardly any are available via
streaming, even well know and popular stuff like Star Trek
NextGen?

> My speed is 1.5 mbit DSL.

Not being hip to the technology, I also understand that down
minutes for a 1 hour flick) unlike popping in a DVD and almost
instantly watching the movie?

That is; you can instantly start watching a stream but can't FF
or skip ahead until the that portion of the streamed flick is down
loaded.

> But what really angers me is that many of the programs available
> for streaming are SHORTENED from the discs!!

I've also heard that the streamed versions don't include closed
captioning and the extras that frequently come with the DVD,
like commentary tracks, etc and that occasionally, the video is
pan-and-scan instead of wide screen.

Invid Fan

Jan 21, 2011, 12:00:40 AM1/21/11
In article
<0a7c8c10-9bf0-413d...@29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, Ed
Stasiak <esta...@att.net> wrote:

> I've also heard that the streamed versions don't include closed
> captioning and the extras that frequently come with the DVD,
> like commentary tracks, etc

Those were added to DVDs specifically to get people to buy DVDs instead
of just watching and recording cable pay per view, so it makes sense to
also not include them in this.

> and that occasionally, the video is
> pan-and-scan instead of wide screen.

Haven't seen that yet, but if it happens it's because that's the
version the studio gave them to use.

--
Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'

Ed Stasiak

Jan 21, 2011, 12:27:11 AM1/21/11
> Invid Fan
> > Ed Stasiak

> > I've also heard that the streamed versions don't include closed
> > captioning and the extras that frequently come with the DVD,
> > like commentary tracks, etc
>
> Those were added to DVDs specifically to get people to buy DVDs
> instead of just watching and recording cable pay per view, so it
> makes sense to also not include them in this.

Doesn't make sense to me, I might want to see those extras.

The commentary track by Bruce Campbell for "Bubba Ho-Tep" is
better then the movie (which is pretty good itself).

> > and that occasionally, the video is pan-and-scan instead of wide
> > screen.
>
> Haven't seen that yet, but if it happens it's because that's the
> version the studio gave them to use.

Either way, it's a pretty stupid plan to issue the DVD in wide screen
but stream the same flick in shitty pan-and-scan format.

moviePig

Jan 21, 2011, 9:08:22 AM1/21/11

Otoh, I've received from Netflix normal-looking DVDs where, when I
selected the menu's 'Special Features' option, I got a message: "You
wanna see? You no rent... you BUY..."

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Bill Anderson

Jan 21, 2011, 9:14:33 AM1/21/11

Odd, I've never seen that. Do remember any of the titles?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

moviePig

Jan 21, 2011, 9:51:33 AM1/21/11

There was one recently. I think it might have been CYRUS...

David O.

Jan 21, 2011, 10:00:35 AM1/21/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:51:33 -0800 (PST), moviePig
<pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>There was one recently. I think it might have been CYRUS...

about the Persian emperor?

Bill Anderson

Jan 21, 2011, 10:23:44 AM1/21/11

No, but at least it's not about Miley.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4117073152/tt1336617

Obveeus

Jan 21, 2011, 10:54:10 AM1/21/11

I haven't seen that, either, but it is fairly normal for rental DVDs not to
have all the extras that come on a DVD purchase...and compounded
exponentially if the purchase comes on multiple disks (usually a whole disk
of extas: commentary, deleted scenes, games, etc...)

Invid Fan

Jan 21, 2011, 11:32:57 AM1/21/11
In article
<49a4f3c2-f15f-4ba9...@n10g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, Ed
Stasiak <esta...@att.net> wrote:

> > Invid Fan
> > > Ed Stasiak
> > >
> > > I've also heard that the streamed versions don't include closed
> > > captioning and the extras that frequently come with the DVD,
> > > like commentary tracks, etc
> >
> > Those were added to DVDs specifically to get people to buy DVDs
> > instead of just watching and recording cable pay per view, so it
> > makes sense to also not include them in this.
>
> Doesn't make sense to me, I might want to see those extras.

That's the point... you want the extras, you give the studio money and
buy the DVD. The "free" streaming version naturally won't give you what
is on the $20 disk (on the practical side, they'd have to have a
completely separate version of each film with a commentary, as there's
no way to have two audio tracks).

Anim8rFSK

Jan 21, 2011, 4:42:37 PM1/21/11
I keep hearing that Netflix is abandoning DVDs, but the bulk of their
offerings seem to be DVD only, and they keep trying to get me to
"upgrade" to the DVD plan, so if they're really trying to abandon DVDs,
somebody needs to tell their marketing department about it.

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Anim8rFSK

Jan 21, 2011, 4:46:39 PM1/21/11
In article
<703848c3-bd74-426d...@w2g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Ed Stasiak <esta...@att.net> wrote:

> > Mr. Hole the Magnificent
> >
> > For that to happen, Netflix will have to nudge their
> > DVD-loyal customers to the new platform.
>
> It's my understanding that the video quality of streaming
> is noticeably worse then DVD (let alone Blu-Ray) and

Depends. On the PS3, I can display the quality level. SD has low, med,
and high, and HD has low, med, high, and X-high. It jumps between all 7
settings on a given movie. On SD low it stutters because you aren't
getting anything like 24fps. Also, if it's flipping between SD-High and
HD-Low, SD-High will probably look better because it can't actually push
the HD signal.

That said, HD-X High looks way better than DVD.

> that NetFlix's selection of stream-able videos is far less
> then what's available on DVD.

Yes

> Streaming sounds like a convenient tool, both for the
> company and customers but if the picture looks like shit
> and there's hardly anything to choose from, why would
> I sign up?

Well, go for the free month and see what the image looks like.

Anim8rFSK

Jan 21, 2011, 4:47:41 PM1/21/11
In article <pdshj6he792p45opt...@4ax.com>,
David O. <DavidO...@verizon.net> wrote:

LOL, everything loses the last 5 or so seconds; makes me crazy watching
a TV show and the last few notes of the ending theme are truncated,
every single time.

Obveeus

Jan 21, 2011, 4:48:29 PM1/21/11

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

>I keep hearing that Netflix is abandoning DVDs, but the bulk of their
> offerings seem to be DVD only, and they keep trying to get me to
> "upgrade" to the DVD plan, so if they're really trying to abandon DVDs,
> somebody needs to tell their marketing department about it.

They likely want to abandon DVDs (cost savings and such), but they have no
control over the issue. The studios still decide if Netflix is allowed to
stream or has to snail mail something. I expect that will all change over
the next 2-5 years, though.

Anim8rFSK

Jan 21, 2011, 4:50:56 PM1/21/11
In article
<0a7c8c10-9bf0-413d...@29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>,
Ed Stasiak <esta...@att.net> wrote:

> > David O.
> > Brian Kraft
> > Obveeus
> > > Ed Stasiak
> > >
> > > why would I sign up?
> >
> > Sign up for the snail mail + streaming option.
>
> I primarily use NetFlix for TV series (watching "The Tudors"
> right now) and have heard that hardly any are available via
> streaming, even well know and popular stuff like Star Trek
> NextGen?
>
> > My speed is 1.5 mbit DSL.

I don't get a usable Netflix signal below about 4mbs

> Not being hip to the technology, I also understand that down
> minutes for a 1 hour flick) unlike popping in a DVD and almost
> instantly watching the movie?

No. Takes maybe 30 seconds to start up. YMMV.

> That is; you can instantly start watching a stream but can't FF
> or skip ahead until the that portion of the streamed flick is down
> loaded.

No. Takes about 30 seconds to go back or forward no matter where you
are in the film at the time. YMMV.

> > But what really angers me is that many of the programs available
> > for streaming are SHORTENED from the discs!!
>
> I've also heard that the streamed versions don't include closed
> captioning and the extras that frequently come with the DVD,

Some do, most don't.

> like commentary tracks, etc and that occasionally, the video is
> pan-and-scan instead of wide screen.

That I haven't hit yet; you'll hear me howl from there if I do.

Goro

Jan 21, 2011, 8:03:55 PM1/21/11
On Jan 21, 2:50 pm, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article
> <0a7c8c10-9bf0-413d-915f-1e15262d5...@29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>,

He might be referring to the Starz deal there.

-goro-

Rockinghorse Winner

Jan 21, 2011, 8:08:56 PM1/21/11
* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Bill Anderson <billand...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Many times, there is a supp. disk. However, the chance to order this when
you order the main disk is buried in small print on the page where you
order. However, it is there when available (for now).

*R* *H*
--
Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
"No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2

Message has been deleted

Anim8rFSK

Jan 22, 2011, 11:45:43 PM1/22/11
In article <4d3afbd6$0$73605$815e...@news.qwest.net>,
"Brian Kraft" <bkr...@nyx.net> wrote:

> >I don't get a usable Netflix signal below about 4mbs
>

> You referred to SD low, med, high on the PS3. I'm guessing they are
> 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 mbs streams, which is as fast as I can go. Looks okay.
> Are you saying the 1.5 mbs stream (SD high) is unusable or unacceptable?

If I were only getting 1.5mbs, I don't think Netflix would even load.

Anim8rFSK

Jan 23, 2011, 12:53:55 PM1/23/11
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-B464A...@news.dc1.easynews.com>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> > like commentary tracks, etc and that occasionally, the video is
> > pan-and-scan instead of wide screen.
>
> That I haven't hit yet; you'll hear me howl from there if I do.

doh. As soon as I hit 'send' I remembered that I in fact HAD hit that -
Netflix Instant has* THE GREAT RACE in HD, 16:9 instead of 'scope - not
pan & scan but (presumably) center cut, but still ...

Thing it, it's gone now. NF still has TGR but only in the standard SD
DVD. But it acknowledges that I had added it to my queue at one time,
along with other stuff that's no longer available ...

globular

Jan 28, 2011, 9:11:30 AM1/28/11
On 19/01/2011 4:18 PM, Mr. Hole the Magnificent wrote:
> by: Tim Grierson
>
> When Netflix started up more than 10 years ago, its sales pitch was
> pretty simple: Hey, subscribe to us, and we'll mail you DVDs that you
> can then mail back to us without worrying about any late fees. But as
> the rental market moves toward online and on-demand models, Netflix's
> iconic red envelopes may eventually become as antiquated as VHS tapes.
> Beefing up their streaming business, Netflix has predicted that in
> about two years their economics will be geared more toward their
> "Watch Instantly" service than through physical discs. For that to

> happen, Netflix will have to nudge their DVD-loyal customers to the
> new platform. And on Monday, the company learned just how hard that
> may be.

I'm in a different country and hope this takes longer to happen.
But I have never seen online movies before. What is the quality like
compared to DVD? I can't believe they would expect so many people to be
able to download a lot of gigantic files.

globular

Jan 28, 2011, 9:35:31 AM1/28/11
On 23/01/2011 2:49 AM, Brian Kraft wrote:

>> I don't get a usable Netflix signal below about 4mbs
>
> You referred to SD low, med, high on the PS3. I'm guessing they are
> 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 mbs streams, which is as fast as I can go. Looks okay.
> Are you saying the 1.5 mbs stream (SD high) is unusable or unacceptable?

Honestly, I would abandon movie watching at 1.5 mbs except for youtube
clips.
I fail to understand that people can't tell the difference in video
quality with data rate.
There's already a trend in lowering DVD quality on disc, maybe to make
Bluray look better. You can get a very high quality look on DVD if you
make the file sizes larger.

Fox News

Jan 28, 2011, 9:41:31 AM1/28/11
In article <ihuk7k$vbn$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
globular <takecar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Decent Blu-Ray players upscale the regular DVD's to look almost as good
as a Blu-Ray. It is doubtful that the quality is being lowered

KoshN

Jan 29, 2011, 10:53:27 PM1/29/11
On Jan 20, 9:40 pm, David O. <DavidOber...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:18:50 -0800 (PST), Ed Stasiak
>
> <estas...@att.net> wrote:
> >It's my understanding that the video quality of streaming
> >is noticeably worse then DVD (let alone Blu-Ray) and
> >that NetFlix's selection of stream-able videos is far less
> >then what's available on DVD.
>
> I don't notice a difference streaming onto my 17.3-inch laptop or
> watching a disc on my HDTV.
>
> But what really angers me is that many of the programs available for
> streaming are SHORTENED from the discs!!

What, are they cutting out scenes?!?

What about the DVD special features, are they available for streaming,
e.g. the ex-CIA operative commentary track on "RED", the "Eureka"
podcasts, the gag reels on various shows (e.g. Criminal Minds, The
Mentalist and Castle), etc.??

KoshN

Jan 29, 2011, 10:56:53 PM1/29/11
On Jan 20, 9:55 pm, Ed Stasiak <estas...@att.net> wrote:
> > David O.
> > Brian Kraft
> > Obveeus
> > > Ed Stasiak
>
> > > why would I sign up?
>
> > Sign up for the snail mail + streaming option.
>
> I primarily use NetFlix for TV series (watching "The Tudors"
> right now) and have heard that hardly any are available via
> streaming, even well know and popular stuff like Star Trek
> NextGen?

OTOH, I've come across some titles that are only available via
streaming, and as a DVD-only customer, that has me worried.

KoshN

Jan 29, 2011, 10:59:10 PM1/29/11

I never have, and I've been a Netflix member since 1/2006.

Anim8rFSK

Jan 30, 2011, 12:18:31 PM1/30/11
In article
<c8f9a572-8ca9-4c1d...@z3g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
KoshN <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

OTOH, half a dozen of my streaming titles are no longer available for
streaming (and I'm still in my 30 day free trial period).

Anim8rFSK

Jan 30, 2011, 12:18:47 PM1/30/11
In article
<e4587eb8-d139-4389...@y11g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
KoshN <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Some are, some aren't, it depends.

Invid Fan

Jan 30, 2011, 2:11:27 PM1/30/11

You shouldn't be. There are shows that will never be profitable to
release onto DVD, but which can be streamed. Think of all the shows
that only had the first season released- there may now be a home for
them.

PeterM

Jan 31, 2011, 3:17:59 PM1/31/11
On Jan 30, 11:11 am, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <c8f9a572-8ca9-4c1d-a2c3-f7542d2cc...@z3g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
> KoshN <macthevor...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > OTOH, I've come across some titles that are only available via
> > streaming, and as a DVD-only customer, that has me worried.
>
> You shouldn't be. There are shows that will never be profitable to
> release onto DVD, but which can be streamed. Think of all the shows
> that only had the first season released- there may now be a home for
> them.

Do you mean older 1 season shows? 'Cause I've seen and
even bought plenty of recent 1 season shows on DVD.
Someone obviously at least thinks they can make money
off of them.

Invid Fan

Jan 31, 2011, 10:00:41 PM1/31/11
In article
<70a914c9-fd29-419d...@a28g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
PeterM <peterme...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm talking about long running shows where they release the first
season, not enough people buy it, so they don't release more. Take, for
example, Night Court. Season one came out in 2005. Season 2 finally hit
in 2009, season 3 last year. The 4th season was available in a "burn on
demand" format, but was pulled quickly. Another that comes to mind is
Exosquad, where we got the first season in 2009 and that was it.

If studios could just put them online and stream basically for "free"
so far as their costs were concerned, they could make some money off of
them instead of maybe losing money on a DVD release.

PeterM

Feb 1, 2011, 2:14:36 AM2/1/11
On Jan 31, 7:00 pm, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <70a914c9-fd29-419d-b6a2-94464fde5...@a28g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
> PeterM <petermeilin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Do you mean older 1 season shows? 'Cause I've seen and
> > even bought plenty of recent 1 season shows on DVD.
> > Someone obviously at least thinks they can make money
> > off of them.
>
> I'm talking about long running shows where they release the first
> season, not enough people buy it, so they don't release more.

Oho, I see now. Yes, that would be nice, though I
can't think of any shows I myself am pining for.

My big problem with streaming is that I want to
own many movies and TV shows. I don't want to
rent them whenever I feel like watching. The
people who own the rights to the material, however,
would prefer the exact opposite.