Kurt Russell's Best Movie

David Oberman

Jul 25, 2010, 2:15:44 AM7/25/10

Jul 25, 2010, 2:32:04 AM7/25/10

Jul 25, 2010, 4:26:06 AM7/25/10

Jul 25, 2010, 8:42:21 AM7/25/10

> USED CARS

"GO-rillas, not GUER-rillas. "

-goro-

nick

Jul 25, 2010, 8:56:27 AM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 2:15 am, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
> My vote:
>
> USED CARS

It's not his best movie, but Backdraft is probably in my top five
repeat viewing "comfort" movies.

Russell was the only good thing about that Tarantino/Rodriguez
Grindhouse botch-up.

Michael O'Connor

Jul 25, 2010, 9:22:00 AM7/25/10

> Russell was the only good thing about that Tarantino/Rodriguez
> Grindhouse botch-up.

I didn't care for Death Proof; it had it's moments, but I thought
Planet Terror was one of the best zombie movies I have ever seen, and
one of the funnest films I have seen in years. And I loved the
Machete trailer, which was such a great trailer Rodriguez had to make
it into a movie.

As for Kurt Russell, he is one of those actors who I thought should
have been an A list movie star; he screen tested for the Han Solo role
in Star Wars, which I think he could have pulled off, and could have
led to Indiana Jones which would have made him THE action film star of
the 80's as it did Harrison Ford. I think Kurt Russell is a much
better actor than Harrison Ford.

He was (and is) a great action star, but is a very underrated actor
IMO, his supporting role in Vanilla Sky was perhaps his most
overlooked performance. As far as my favorite movies of his, I would
have to start with Escape From New York, and Backdraft.

moviePig

Jul 25, 2010, 9:40:38 AM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 2:15 am, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
> My vote:
>
> USED CARS

I misread the subject as: "Ken Russell's Best Movie". Good thing I
drive a stick...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

nick

Jul 25, 2010, 9:46:39 AM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 9:40 am, moviePig <pwall...@moviepig.com> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2:15 am, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
>
> > My vote:
>
> > USED CARS
>
> I misread the subject as:  "Ken Russell's Best Movie".  Good thing I
> drive a stick...

What composer do you think Kurt Russell would do a good job of playing
if Ken Russell wanted Kurt for one of his trademark music bio-pics?

globular

Jul 25, 2010, 9:52:32 AM7/25/10
David Oberman wrote:
> My vote:
>
> USED CARS
For Ken Russell I pick Escape From New York

moviePig

Jul 25, 2010, 10:35:19 AM7/25/10

--------
One day George Gershwin was informed that a woman for whom he had long
harbored affections had just been married to someone else. "If I
wasn't so busy," he replied, "I'd be upset."
--------

tomcervo

Jul 25, 2010, 11:08:13 AM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 2:15 am, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
> My vote:
>
> USED CARS

You might be interested in this:
http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/93006/russell.pdf

S D

Jul 25, 2010, 11:17:24 AM7/25/10
and The Best Of Times..." Half the people here came to see you catch the
ball , the other half came to see you drop it "

David Oberman

Jul 25, 2010, 11:50:10 AM7/25/10

I've been watching Kurt Russell movies all my life, but for some
unexplainable reason I've decided only in the past few weeks that he's
one of the best things about American movies in recent decades.

David Oberman

Jul 25, 2010, 11:52:16 AM7/25/10
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:46:39 -0700 (PDT), nick
<nickmacp...@AOL.com> wrote:

>What composer do you think Kurt Russell would do a good job of playing
>if Ken Russell wanted Kurt for one of his trademark music bio-pics?

Hugo Wolf
Rudolf Friml

nick

Jul 25, 2010, 12:53:43 PM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 11:50 am, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:56:27 -0700 (PDT), nick

Kurt Russell is the real Jeff Bridges. So many people say that Jeff
Bridges is overlooked and underrated that he's not really overlooked
or underrated. But Kurt Russell, he still doesn't get his fair due.

nick

Jul 25, 2010, 12:54:42 PM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 11:52 am, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:46:39 -0700 (PDT), nick
>
> <nickmacpherso...@AOL.com> wrote:
> >What composer do you think Kurt Russell would do a good job of playing
> >if Ken Russell wanted Kurt for one of his trademark music bio-pics?
>
> Hugo Wolf
> Rudolf Friml

Maybe Charles Ives. "Son, classical music is for pussies. I'm gonna
go sell me some insurance."

Anim8rFSK

Jul 25, 2010, 1:00:42 PM7/25/10
In article
<d1ac0253-5cba-41ec...@d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,

"Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Russell was the only good thing about that Tarantino/Rodriguez
> > Grindhouse botch-up.
>
> I didn't care for Death Proof; it had it's moments, but I thought
> Planet Terror was one of the best zombie movies I have ever seen, and
> one of the funnest films I have seen in years. And I loved the
> Machete trailer, which was such a great trailer Rodriguez had to make
> it into a movie.
>
> As for Kurt Russell, he is one of those actors who I thought should
> have been an A list movie star; he screen tested for the Han Solo role
> in Star Wars, which I think he could have pulled off, and could have
> led to Indiana Jones which would have made him THE action film star of
> the 80's as it did Harrison Ford. I think Kurt Russell is a much
> better actor than Harrison Ford.

That's not a very high mark to hit; Ford has a lot of appeal, but he's
frankly a pretty lousy actor.

I'm voting for BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA.

--
TOM SWIFT 100th Anniversary convention! July 16-18 2010, San Diego, CA
TS100 Convention site: http://www.TomSwiftEnterprises.com

mikeos

Jul 25, 2010, 3:37:52 PM7/25/10
On 25/07/2010 17:54, nick wrote:

nickmacpherso...@AOL.com> wrote:
>>> What composer do you think Kurt Russell would do a good job of playing
>>> if Ken Russell wanted Kurt for one of his trademark music bio-pics?
>>
>> Hugo Wolf
>> Rudolf Friml
>
> Maybe Charles Ives. "Son, classical music is for pussies. I'm gonna
> go sell me some insurance."

Yes, he's got a lot to answer for. Didn't he devise a training program
for insurance salesmen?

Message has been deleted

treadleson

Jul 25, 2010, 4:37:26 PM7/25/10
On Jul 25, 2:15 am, David Oberman <DavidOber...@att.net> wrote:
> My vote:
>
> USED CARS

I know which one Pauline Kael would've said. Me, I liked him pretty
well in SILKWOOD. And also as Snake Pliskin.

David Oberman

Jul 25, 2010, 8:03:50 PM7/25/10
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:37:26 -0700 (PDT), treadleson
<trea...@aol.com> wrote:

>> USED CARS
>
>I know which one Pauline Kael would've said.

She probably would have said USED CARS.

I just saw it for the first time the other day, & I loved it.

Sol L. Siegel

Jul 25, 2010, 11:48:24 PM7/25/10
mikeos <mik...@gmail.com> wrote in news:8b3i4k...@mid.individual.net:

>> Maybe Charles Ives. "Son, classical music is for pussies. I'm gonna
>> go sell me some insurance."
>
> Yes, he's got a lot to answer for. Didn't he devise a training program
> for insurance salesmen?

Yeah... but he also admonished one listener who hissed a modern work (not
one of his) to "use your ears like a man!"

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

Sol L. Siegel

Jul 25, 2010, 11:54:20 PM7/25/10
For crying out loud: the two best *movies* he's been in are "Tombstone",
which somehow turned out to be the best version of the Earp/Holliday/OK
Corral legend/myth, and "Breakdown", a Paris Exposition variant with the
heat turned up big-time. Honorable mention to his Carpenter
collaborations.

moviePig

Jul 26, 2010, 9:12:21 AM7/26/10
On Jul 25, 11:48 pm, "Sol L. Siegel" <vod...@aol.com> wrote:
> mikeos <mike...@gmail.com> wrote innews:8b3i4k...@mid.individual.net:

> >> Maybe Charles Ives.  "Son, classical music is for pussies.  I'm gonna
> >> go sell me some insurance."
>
> > Yes, he's got a lot to answer for. Didn't he devise a training program
> > for insurance salesmen?
>
> Yeah... but he also admonished one listener who hissed a modern work (not
> one of his) to "use your ears like a man!"

Rumored to be the preincarnation of... Robert Bresson? Michael Haneke?

Tom

Jul 26, 2010, 11:41:31 AM7/26/10

You took the words right off my keyboard, Sol.

Every time I see Tombstone, I try to understand how he managed to
maintain that squint.

Breakdown is an underrated and under-discussed little gem.

Tom

moviePig

Jul 26, 2010, 1:00:45 PM7/26/10

BREAKDOWN was my pick that year for runner-up Best Picture (after ICE
STORM). 90 very tight minutes. I thought Jonathan Mostow was
destined for semi-greatness. Meanwhile, though, what's "Paris
Exposition"?...

Tom

Jul 26, 2010, 1:44:53 PM7/26/10

Uh, I don't know. That part, Sol didn't take from my keyboard! ;-)

Good call on Breakdown, btw!

Tom

Anonymous

Jul 26, 2010, 4:45:30 PM7/26/10

"David Oberman" <DavidO...@att.net> wrote in message
> My vote:
>
> USED CARS

This is a trick question. Kurt Russell has NEVER been in a good movie. As an
actor, he's a total lox.

TBerk

Jul 26, 2010, 10:41:12 PM7/26/10

Soldier, the Thing, Escape from New York. Three-way tie.

Big Trouble in Little China gets a campy, over the top head nod.

TBerk

Sol L. Siegel

Jul 27, 2010, 12:54:59 AM7/27/10
moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote in

> BREAKDOWN was my pick that year for runner-up Best Picture (after ICE
> STORM). 90 very tight minutes. I thought Jonathan Mostow was
> destined for semi-greatness. Meanwhile, though, what's "Paris
> Exposition"?...

There used to be an urban legend about a young Englishwoman and her
mother attending an International Exposition (a.k.a. World's Fair) in
Paris, ca. 1893. The woman leaves her mother feeling poorly to see the
exposition and returns to her hotel to find that there's no record of
her having been there, and no one who can remember having seen her
before - or her mother. After becoming half-convinced that she's going
mad, she demands and gets an investigation and learns the truth: her
mother was found dead of plague, which she had apparently contracted
elsewhere, and the hotel and authorities staged a cover-up to prevent a
panic.

Whether Hitchcock believed the story is uncertain, but he was certainly
fond of it. It was the basis of one of his best movies, "The Lady
Vanishes", and he actually had the story filmed straight (starring his
daughter Patricia) for the first season of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0508183/

moviePig

Jul 27, 2010, 9:59:08 AM7/27/10
On Jul 27, 12:54 am, "Sol L. Siegel" <vod...@aol.com> wrote:

(...and, look, my library has it.) Instructive how the big-screen
version elected to dump the horrific resolution so that the light
mystery could thrive. All-inclusive conspiracy is such a basic and
adaptable paranoia that earlier versions -- say, Shakespeare or the
Greeks -- must've even used it for outright comedy...

treadleson

Jul 27, 2010, 10:30:09 AM7/27/10
On Jul 27, 12:54 am, "Sol L. Siegel" <vod...@aol.com> wrote:

Also the basis for SO LONG AT THE FAIR (1950 AD) with Jean Simmons and
Dirk Bogarde.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 2, 2010, 2:28:14 AM8/2/10
In article <Xns9DC0F32B91B...@130.133.4.11>,

"Sol L. Siegel" <vod...@aol.com> wrote:

> For crying out loud: the two best *movies* he's been in are "Tombstone",
> which somehow turned out to be the best version of the Earp/Holliday/OK
> Corral legend/myth

I'd trade Val Kilmer for Dennis Quaid, and I'd consider trading Dana
Delany for Joanna Going, but other than that, what you said.

tomcervo

Aug 2, 2010, 8:38:50 AM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 2:28 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article <Xns9DC0F32B91B60vodnikaol...@130.133.4.11>,

>  "Sol L. Siegel" <vod...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > For crying out loud: the two best *movies* he's been in are "Tombstone",
> > which somehow turned out to be the best version of the Earp/Holliday/OK
> > Corral legend/myth
>
> I'd trade Val Kilmer for Dennis Quaid, and I'd consider trading Dana
> Delany for Joanna Going, but other than that, what you said.

Consider "Warlock", an adult treatment based on an adult novel, with a
little more insight into the psychology than most versions.

Janice

Aug 2, 2010, 2:18:06 PM8/2/10
On Jul 26, 11:41 am, Tom <drso...@aol.com> wrote:
.
> Breakdown is an underrated and under-discussed little gem.

My absolute favorite of his movies is Escape From New York, which at
the time was a mind-blowing benchmark of a film which could & should
have had more attention had it not been nearly completely pre-empted
by the release of Indiana Jones with its mass-audience appeal.

~`~

Anim8rFSK

Aug 5, 2010, 11:23:56 AM8/5/10
In article
<0db8390e-6b62-49d2...@v35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
tomcervo <tomc...@aol.com> wrote:

Richard Widmark? I'll keep a look out for it. Thanks!