Criterion Collection

TT

Jan 21, 2017, 4:47:55 PM1/21/17
Checked out what films Criterion has released... a total of around 800
films... rather interesting titles in general, perhaps even more so than
in 'They shoot films' list....

Here's a list of their films, how many have you seen?
http://www.listchallenges.com/the-criterion-collection

This is so far a list I have RATED least titles of these larger film
lists, only 25% aka 185/747 films. That's top 17% of those polled. Of
course I have seen more, but impossible to remember all older films I
saw decades ago.

Here's the same list as text...
http://www.listchallenges.com/print-list/21505

Added some titles to my ever growing watchlist, which now has around 140
titles. Trying not to add new ones for some time before there are 20
left... watching 1-2 films per day if possible. Should take 2-5 months...

gtr

Jan 22, 2017, 2:43:12 PM1/22/17
On 2017-01-21 21:47:56 +0000, TT said:

> Checked out what films Criterion has released... a total of around 800
> films... rather interesting titles in general, perhaps even more so
> than in 'They shoot films' list....
>
> Here's a list of their films, how many have you seen?
> http://www.listchallenges.com/the-criterion-collection

I don't have the time to really study the list but in the first 5 pages
of titles there are only a few I haven't seen. I must admit, though,
that Criterion films is the trough I've been feeding
at--intentionally--for many years, and "Janus Films" before that.
Seemingly they are joined at the hip.

> This is so far a list I have RATED least titles of these larger film
> lists, only 25% aka 185/747 films. That's top 17% of those polled. Of
> course I have seen more, but impossible to remember all older films I
> saw decades ago.
>
> Here's the same list as text...
> http://www.listchallenges.com/print-list/21505
>
> Added some titles to my ever growing watchlist, which now has around
> 140 titles. Trying not to add new ones for some time before there are
> 20 left... watching 1-2 films per day if possible. Should take 2-5
> months...

Time that will be very well spent.

TT

Jan 22, 2017, 5:48:35 PM1/22/17
:)

Guess that depends on the movies. Most on my list are older films, but
started today from...

Insomnia (2002)
...a pretty good detective story starring Pacino, Robin Williams and
Swank, directed by Nolan. Recommended.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278504/reference

william ahearn

Jan 22, 2017, 6:02:29 PM1/22/17
On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 5:48:35 PM UTC-5, TT wrote:

> Insomnia (2002)
> ...a pretty good detective story starring Pacino, Robin Williams and
> Swank, directed by Nolan. Recommended.
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278504/reference

Have you seen the original?

TT

Jan 22, 2017, 6:09:00 PM1/22/17
Nope.

gtr

Jan 23, 2017, 12:21:38 AM1/23/17
It's been malingering on my hard drive for a few weeks now, but haven't
managed to get there.

tomcervo

Jan 24, 2017, 10:06:45 AM1/24/17
The most recent one of their I've seen was the two-disk "Valley of the Dolls". Never saw it in the 60's, even on TV, and I'm something of a completionist, but . . . The Patty Duke feature was nice; apparently having played Judy Garland makes you the next best thing in some neighborhoods.
Don't understand why they haven't released "The Magnificent Ambersons". They did it on laser disk and it's a great release. I suppose it's yet another example of either Welles' Bialystok and Bloom-type financing, or another relative or mistress who wants their cut.

michaelmalef...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 12:43:17 PM1/24/17
Here's what I've seen (279):

1 Grand Illusion
2 Seven Samurai
3 The Lady Vanishes
5 The 400 Blows
6 Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau & Disney)
7 A Night to Remember
11 The Seventh Seal
12 This Is Spinal Tap
16 The Naked Kiss
20 Summertime
22 High and Low
23 Alphaville
27 Picnic at Hanging Rock
28 M
29 Great Expectations
30 Oliver Twist
31 Nanook of the North
33 Diabolique
34 The Wages of Fear
35 Time Bandits
39 Henry V
41 Lord of the Flies
42 The Red Shoes
44 The Most Dangerous Game
46 Black Orpheus
47 Nights of Cabiria
49 Brazil
50 Yojimbo
51 Sanjuro
53 The Unbearable Lightness of Being
54 The 39 Steps
55 Charade
56 Peeping Tom
58 Autumn Sonata
59 Life of Brian
60 The Passion of Joan of Arc
61 Carnival of Souls
62 The Third Man
64 The Orphic Trilogy (Spine #66-69) (assuming this is Cocteau)
66 The Magic Flute
67 Le Million
70 Brief Encounter
71 ...And God Created Woman
72 The Bank Dick
76 Hamlet (Olivier)
79 Pygmalion
80 Alexander Nevsky
81 Ivan the Terrible, Part I
82 Ivan the Terrible, Part II: The Boyars' Plot
85 The Blob
87 Black Narcissus
88 I know where I'm going
89 All That Heaven Allows
90 Written on the Wind
91 Do the Right Thing
92 L'Avventura
95 Cries and Whispers
96 The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
97 The Lady Eve
99 Spartacus
103 The Scarlet Empress
105 Mon oncle
108 My Man Godfrey
110 The Hidden Fortress
111 Diary of a Chambermaid
112 Sullivan's Travels
118 Day of Wrath
119 Ordet
120 Gertrud
125 The Ruling Class
126 The Vanishing
127 Haxan
128 Rebecca
129 Spellbound
130 Notorious
131 Rashomon
132 Wild Strawberries
133 8 1/2
134 Children of Paradise
135 The Last Wave
136 That Obscure Object of Desire
142 Juliet of the Spirits
143 Bob le Flambeur
146 General Idi Amin Dada
147 The Horse's Mouth
153 À Nous la Liberté
154 Under the Roofs of Paris
159 Down by Law
163 Contempt
168 The Killers
169 The Killers
172 I Am Curious (Yellow)
173 I Am Curious (Blue)
174 Straw Dogs
180 The White Sheik
181 Throne of Blood
185 Il Posto
187 Hiroshima mon amour
188 Night and Fog
192 Umberto D.
198 Through a Glass Darkly
199 Winter Light
200 The Silence
202 Richard III
203 The Devil and Daniel Webster
205 The Rules of the Game
208 La Strada
210 Ikiru
213 Pickup on South Street
220 The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
222 Stray Dog
224 The Leopard
226 Smiles of a Summer Night
227 A Woman Is a Woman
228 The Lower Depths
230 The Golden Coach
231 French Cancan
233 Port of Shadows
234 I Vitelloni
237 The Battle of Algiers
247 Eyes Without a Face
248 Fanny & Alexander
251 Kagemusha
258 Night and the City
265 Jules and Jim
270 F for Fake
272 The Phantom of Liberty
273 Heaven Can Wait (both)
286 The Man Who Fell to Earth
287 Boudu Saved from Drowning
291 Ugetsu
297 Shoot the Piano Player
298 Ran
299 The Tales of Hoffmann
300 Forbidden Games
301 The Bad Sleep Well
302 Young Mr. Lincoln
303 The Virgin Spring
304 Mr. Arkadin
306 La Bete Humaine
307 Kind Hearts and Coronets
313 Viridiana
315 Harlan County, USA
322 A Canterbury Tale
330 Seduced and Abandoned
337 The Fallen Idol
338 Pandora's Box
339 The Double Life of Veronique
349 Body and Soul
351 The Emperor Jones
353 Sanders of the River
357 Bicycle Thieves
358 Green for Danger
359 49th Parallel
363 The Naked City
366 Brute Force
375 If
377 Woman in the Dunes
379 Ace in the Hole
385 The Milky Way (Bunuel)
388 The Threepenny Opera
391 Breathless
392 Days of Heaven
393 Under the Volcano
395 Sawdust and Tinsel
398 The Naked Prey
414 The Thief of Bagdad (both)
418 The Furies
420 Vampyr
426 La Ronde
427 Le Plaisir
428 The Earrings of Madame de...
435 The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
440 Magnificent Obsession
441 El Norte
442 The Exterminating Angel
443 Simon of the Desert
444 Hobson's Choice
460 Last Year at Marienbad
461 My Dinner with André
469 That Hamilton Woman
470 Howards End
472 Wings of Desire
476 Downhill Racer
477 The Golden Age of Television
479 Rome, Open City
480 Paisan
484 Lola Montes
486 Make Way for Tomorrow
495 The Fugitive Kind
496 Stagecoach
500 Red Desert
501 Night Train to Munich
506 The Last Command
507 The Docks of New York
512 The Thin Red Line
513 The Magician
514 Paths of Glory
519 Modern Times
521 Easy Rider
522 Five Easy Pieces
525 The Last Picture Show
528 Broadcast News
531 Sweet Smell of Success
533 The Times of Harvey Milk
539 Something Wild
541 The Great Dictator
544 Kiss Me Deadly
545 People on Sunday
551 The Killing
554 À propos de Nice
555 Zero for Conduct
556 L'Atalante
561 The Four Feathers
564 Island of Lost Souls
565 Three Colors: Blue
566 Three Colors: White
567 Three Colors: Red
568 12 Angry Men
569 Design for Living
570 Belle de Jour
571 Godzilla (orig)
577 Anatomy of a Murder
580 In Which We Serve
582 Blithe Spirit
584 Harold and Maude
589 Summer Interlude
590 Summer with Monika
591 The Gold Rush
598 Weekend (also listed below - different films?)
601 Eating Raoul
602 Les Visiteurs du Soir
606 Rosemary's Baby
607 The Decameron
608 The Canterbury Tales
609 Arabian Nights
610 Weekend
611 Heaven's Gate
614 Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance
617 The Man Who Knew Too Much (both vers.)
621 On the Waterfront
623 Ministry of Fear
625 Badlands
626 Monsieur Verdoux
627 Gate of Hell
634 Jubal
635 3:10 to Yuma
638 Things to Come
640 Safety Last!
645 Seconds
649 To Be or Not to Be
653 Journey to Italy
654 I Married a Witch
655 The Uninvited
656 La Notte
658 City Lights
669 It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
673 Foreign Correspondent
674 Tess
678 Persona
680 The Freshman
686 Red River
688 A Hard Day's Night
692 The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
701 Eraserhead
702 Macbeth (Welles)
703 The Innocents
707 My Darling Clementine
708 La Dolce Vita
709 It Happened One Night
711 Tootsie
715 The Palm Beach Story
718 Don't Look Now
721 Watership Down
725 Odd Man Out
727 Limelight
735 The Fisher King
740 Day for Night

poisoned rose

Jan 24, 2017, 11:34:01 PM1/24/17
TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

> Checked out what films Criterion has released... a total of around 800
> films...

It's a lot more. ICheckMovies.com has a carefully maintained Criterion
Collection list, and it's currently up to 1017 titles.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+criterion+collection/

(I've checked off 719/1017.)

For starters, the page you shared loses a lot of items by not listing
the Stan Brakhage films individually. And I've seen all of the Brakhage
films on Criterion. The list does similar one-line reductions with the
sets of Jean Painleve, Les Blank and Hollis Frampton shorts. And the set
of Zatoichi samurai films (I've seen the Painleve/Blank/Framptons, but
none of the Zatoichis).

Also, about 100 titles have been issued on Criterion since this quiz was
created. If you go to the link I gave above, you can see that Moonrise
Kingdom is item #919, and nothing past #919 is in your quiz.

> Added some titles to my ever growing watchlist, which now has around 140
> titles.

My list is slowly *shrinking*, at this point. I'm down to 81 titles,
which is a tie for the smallest it has been in probably 10 years or
more. Finally finished Rivette's 13-hour "Out 1" over the weekend.

> http://www.listchallenges.com/print-list/21505

Out of these 747, I have **NOT** seen:

9 Hard Boiled
14 The Samurai Trilogy (Spine #14-16)
20 Summertime
24 The Long Good Friday (might have seen this back in the '80s?)
29 Great Expectations
30 Oliver Twist
39 Henry V
40 fishing with john (this is a TV show, so...)
45 Insomnia
55 Charade
66 The Magic Flute
70 Brief Encounter
76 Hamlet
79 Pygmalion
85 The Blob (most likely saw this years ago, but I'm not 100% sure)
86 Fiend Without a Face
88 I know where I'm going
89 All That Heaven Allows
90 Written on the Wind
94 Beastie Boys Video Anthology (I've seen SOME of these)
100 Coup de torchon
102 The Rock
108 My Man Godfrey
120 Gertrud
121 Carl Th. Dreyer: My Metier
145 George Washington
146 General Idi Amin Dada
148 Tokyo Olympiad
151 The Importance of Being Earnest
165 The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
168 The Killers (1964)
173 I Am Curious (Blue)
183 Coup de grâce
184 Quai des Orfevres
185 Il Posto
186 I fidanzati
193 Indiscretion of an American Wife
201 Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie
202 Richard III
203 The Devil and Daniel Webster
214 Tunes of Glory
221 Floating Weeds (there are two Floating Weeds films on Criterion, and
this quiz lists only one)
228 The Lower Depths (1936) (there are two Lower Depths films on
Criterion, and this quiz lists only one)
229 Early Summer
230 The Golden Coach
231 French Cancan
232 Elena and Her Men
233 Port of Shadows
241 The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
242 Opening Night
243 A Constant Forge
246 Fat Girl
252 Youth of the Beast
253 Fighting Elegy
254 Casque d' Or
255 Hands Off the Loot (Touchez pas au grisbi)
257 Thieves' Highway
258 Night and the City
260 The River
264 The Sword of Doom
266 A Generation (the quiz skipped Ashes & Diamonds around this point)
268 Divorce Italian Style
273 Heaven Can Wait
276 The Browning Version
280 Gate of Flesh
293 Sword of the Beast
294 Samurai Spy
295 Kill!
302 Young Mr. Lincoln
315 Harlan County, USA
318 A Nos Amours
320 Yi Yi
321 koko: a talking gorilla
322 A Canterbury Tale
329 Kicking and Screaming
330 Seduced and Abandoned
333 Sólo Con Tu Pareja
334 Clean, Shaven
335 Hands Over the City
341 Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take 2 1/2
342 The Beales of Grey Gardens
345 The Atomic Submarine
346 First Man Into Space
347 The Haunted Strangler
348 Corridors of Blood
349 Body and Soul
350 Borderline
351 The Emperor Jones
353 Sanders of the River
354 Jericho
355 The Proud Valley
356 Native Land
358 Green for Danger
359 49th Parallel
360 When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
363 The Naked City
364 La Haine
366 Brute Force
372 The Two of Us
390 Mala Noche
398 The Naked Prey
414 The Thief of Bagdad
417 Classe tous risques
418 The Furies
419 Before the Rain
421 Mon oncle Antoine
424 The Small Back Room
427 Le Plaisir
429 An Autumn Afternoon
434 Fanfan la tulipe
435 The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
437 Europa
439 The Taking of Power by Louis XIV
440 Magnificent Obsession
441 El Norte
444 Hobson's Choice
446 General Della Rovere
447 Danton
455 The Insect Woman
457 The Friends of Eddie Coyle
462 The Human Condition
468 Homicide
469 That Hamilton Woman
470 Howards End
471 Monsoon Wedding
474 A Christmas Tale
475 Gomorrah
476 Downhill Racer
477 The Golden Age of Television (there are eight teleplays in this set,
and I've seen five)
478 Che
483 Revanche
485 Hunger
486 Make Way for Tomorrow
488 Bigger Than Life
489 Ossos
490 In Vanda's Room
491 Colossal Youth
493 Summer Hours
494 Ride with the Devil
495 The Fugitive Kind
496 Stagecoach
498 Everlasting Moments
501 Night Train to Munich
502 The Only Son
503 There Was a Father
504 The Secret of the Grain
505 Underworld
507 The Docks of New York
510 L'enfance nue
530 Still Walking
535 The Mikado
536 White Material
543 The Makioka Sisters
548 Léon Morin, Priest
552 Secret Sunshine
560 Carlos
561 The Four Feathers
571 Godzilla (I think I've only seen the Americanized version)
572 The Moment of Truth
573 Three Outlaw Samurai
576 Vanya on 42nd Street
577 Anatomy of a Murder
578 Letter Never Sent
579 The War Room
580 In Which We Serve
581 This Happy Breed
582 Blithe Spirit
585 Alambrista!
586 The Organizer
588 Certified Copy
594 Gray's Anatomy
595 Le Havre
596 The Promise
597 Rosetta
602 Les Visiteurs du Soir
604 The Forgiveness of Blood
609 Arabian Nights
623 Ministry of Fear
627 Gate of Hell
629 The Suitor
631 As Long as You've Got Your Health
633 Land of Milk and Honey
634 Jubal
635 3:10 to Yuma
638 Things to Come
639 Marketa Lazarová
641 Shoah
643 Babette's Feast
644 The Devil's Backbone
647 Big City
648 Charulata
650 La Cage aux Folles
651 Stromboli
652 Europe '51
653 Journey to Italy
654 I Married a Witch
655 The Uninvited
657 Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman
664 A River Called Titas
665 Dry Summer
666 Trances
668 Thief
669 It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
670 La Vie de Bohème
671 The Long Day Closes
676 A Brief History of Time (might have seen this?)
681 Riot in Cell Block 11
683 Master of the House
685 Like Someone in Love
686 Red River
687 Judex
695 Une Chambre en Ville
697 Love Streams
702 Macbeth (might have seen this)
704 Sundays and Cybele
706 Parade
707 My Darling Clementine
716 La Cienaga
723 Ride the Pink Horse
725 Odd Man Out
731 State of Siege
733 A Master Builder
734 The Bridge
737 Here Is Your Life
744 Breaker Morant
745 Mister Johnson
746 A Room with a View (might have seen this)

Of the above films, I'm pretty likely to seek out Arabian Nights, The
Suitor, As Long as You've Got Your Health, The Long Day Closes, Gate of
Flesh, Kill!, Il Posto, I Fidanzati, Une Chambre en Ville, The Insect
Woman, Macbeth, Hard Boiled, The Long Good Friday, Insomnia, The Magic
Flute, Gertrud, Tokyo Olympiad, The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, The
Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Opening Night, Fat Girl, Youth of the
Beast, The Sword of Doom, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, Europa,
Underworld, The Docks of New York, Leon Morin Priest, Big City,
Charulata, A Brief History of Time, Sundays & Cybele and Parade.
Otherwise, maybe not.

poisoned rose

Jan 24, 2017, 11:37:45 PM1/24/17
TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

> Insomnia (2002)
> ...a pretty good detective story starring Pacino, Robin Williams and
> Swank, directed by Nolan. Recommended.
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278504/reference

You started poorly. ;) The Criterion film is the original version, not
this one.

poisoned rose

Jan 25, 2017, 12:09:24 AM1/25/17
michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:

> 598 Weekend (also listed below - different films?)

One is a '60s Godard film, and the other is a recent British gay-themed
film.

TT

Jan 25, 2017, 8:35:16 AM1/25/17
25.1.2017, 6:32, poisoned rose kirjoitti:
>> Added some titles to my ever growing watchlist, which now has around 140
>> titles.

> My list is slowly *shrinking*, at this point. I'm down to 81 titles,
> which is a tie for the smallest it has been in probably 10 years or
> more.

That's my idea as well. To watch the current around 140 titles ALL (on
my harddrive) before starting to add new ones!

Since if I don't do that there will be titles that just stay on hard
drive and I will never watch before the hd breaks. This computer was
bought in 2011 I think, and there are bunch of films from that year still.

And if I 'add' films they will go to my IMDB watchlist, NOT to the
basket of 140 deplorables.

Of course I may watch some other films every now and then as for example
Sunday's classic film which is usually very good and some Oscar nominees.

TT

Jan 25, 2017, 8:38:04 AM1/25/17
Maybe... :)

I didn't even know there was original. But I think I probably would have
liked the original less since this one had better cast, imo. And better
director...

hector

Jan 25, 2017, 10:44:54 AM1/25/17
..assuming the David Lean versions of the 2 above.
> 39 Henry V

If that's the one from 1944. I particularly like it and almost posted a
review some time ago. I saw it on a new shiny bluray copy.
Note that it was sort of meant as propaganda for the D Day invasion, I
think even before it happened the movie was planned for that purpose.
You'll know why when you see it. It probably explains too why this war
time movie has such high production standards.
There an interesting method in the movie that I hesitate to give, it
might be a spoiler.
I don't seem to think like a movie reviewer so I don't know what to say
sometimes. I did actually look into film criticism back when I made a
foray into being a film maker on super 8.
It was the first movie of a Shakespeare play that was a big financial
success.
Perhaps cross reference with the movie, Anonymous, that posits a
scenario of how Shakespeare's plays were a form of propaganda at the
time of their first performances. '...band of brothers..' '.. we lucky
few...'.
There was another movie I compared it to, but I've forgotten what it was.

poisoned rose

Jan 25, 2017, 9:18:40 PM1/25/17
hector <bob...@there.com> wrote:

> There an interesting method in the movie that I hesitate to give, it
> might be a spoiler.

Sure, hit me with it.

poisoned rose

Jan 25, 2017, 9:50:01 PM1/25/17
TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

> >> Added some titles to my ever growing watchlist, which now has around 140
> >> titles.
>
> > My list is slowly *shrinking*, at this point. I'm down to 81 titles,
> > which is a tie for the smallest it has been in probably 10 years or
> > more.
>
> That's my idea as well. To watch the current around 140 titles ALL (on
> my harddrive) before starting to add new ones!

Oh, I add more films as desired...it's just that my "must-see" films
really have dwindled that far. Perhaps because the Golden Age of
Hollywood doesn't strongly interest me, and I'm content to leave a lot
of the glossy old star vehicles untouched.

The last older movie I added to my list was "The Long Day Closes"
(Terence Davies).

Actually, I've mostly been watching short films this month. Filmmakers
like Hollis Frampton, Toshio Matsumoto, Stan Vanderbeek, Charley Bowers,
Stan Brakhage, James Broughton, Richard Kern, Kenneth Anger, Jan
Svankmajer, Robert Breer, Shuji Terayama, Ken Russell, Jean Eustache,
Faith/John Hubley....

hector

Jan 26, 2017, 2:01:02 AM1/26/17
Any review probably refers to it. It starts as a play in the Globe
theatre (without a roof), then moves from there to what appear as
obvious sets, then moves from there to real settings, then eventually
returns to the Globe theatre (as far as I recall).
I thought it worked well.

gtr

Jan 26, 2017, 12:31:29 PM1/26/17
I't fun to predict which movies you wouldn't like better when you
haven't seen them. It cuts down on the discussion bandwidth.