My 80s favourite films

TT

Aug 2, 2017, 1:31:10 PM8/2/17

Stephen DeMay

Aug 2, 2017, 4:48:15 PM8/2/17
In the first of four groups saw 30 liked 10, that's as far as I'll go.

TT

Aug 2, 2017, 5:14:09 PM8/2/17
Yes, we know you've seen them all and rated each and every one a 3...

Others?

Henry Soszynski

Aug 2, 2017, 7:19:40 PM8/2/17
On the first page only, saw 12 liked only 5 (with IMDb rating)
Tron - 8
Heavy Metal - 7
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 8
Blade Runner - 9
Airplane - 8

I know, its pathetic :)

alvey

Aug 2, 2017, 7:53:33 PM8/2/17
The last listed (#145) fails your criteria on two counts. Good effort that
when the criteria is four words... :-)

alvey

TT

Aug 2, 2017, 8:13:34 PM8/2/17
Hey, at least you're being honest.
And who knows, you might like ALL the films you didn't see. (yeah
right...).

I think there are quite a few 'hidden gems' on the list... it appears
from the statistics that many are not that well known titles.

TT

Aug 2, 2017, 8:14:43 PM8/2/17
You got me there. :)

Stephen DeMay

Aug 2, 2017, 8:28:58 PM8/2/17
what's more pathetic the few you've seen or the ones you liked ?

Stephen DeMay

Aug 2, 2017, 8:33:19 PM8/2/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 1:31:10 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
second group 9 out of 27

Stephen DeMay

Aug 2, 2017, 8:35:44 PM8/2/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 1:31:10 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
3rd page 12/23

Stephen DeMay

Aug 2, 2017, 8:37:51 PM8/2/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 1:31:10 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
4th page 8/13

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 2, 2017, 10:01:08 PM8/2/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 1:31:10 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
Bad Timing, Tootsie, The Interrogation are the ones I like.

Stephen DeMay

Aug 2, 2017, 10:40:11 PM8/2/17
Are you an old hag or an old fart that comes across as one ?

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 7:16:46 AM8/3/17
Nice trolling. Which one has Tobey Maguire?

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2017, 9:15:43 AM8/3/17
If Maguire had been working in the 80s, not only would he have been up for all of these films but very possibly he would have actually been in them all. That's just stating the obvious.

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 9:46:46 AM8/3/17
He's like Broderick, Estevez & Anthony Michael Hall all in same package.
But with talent.

Which makes me wonder why Broderick isn't seen as part of 'Brat Pack'...

hector

Aug 3, 2017, 10:19:03 AM8/3/17
I remember seeing the Brave New World TV movie a long time ago.
It's dreadful. About the only director who could do an Aldous Huxley
novel is Ken Russell. I'm still waiting for the movie of Eyeless in Gaza.

hector

Aug 3, 2017, 10:29:10 AM8/3/17
On 3/08/2017 3:31 AM, TT wrote:
I don't know how many I've seen, that list is terribly presented, too
much scrolling and page clicking to see everything easily. The 80s was
the decade I seeked out arthouse movies and everything else the most. I
just don't believe there are any actual arthouse movies to the same
extent as there were in the 80s. The worst decade for television and
alternative music was worth seeking out then. Probably my decade.
Lucille Ball infamously tried to make a tv comeback, but nobody had a
clue how to make a decent tv show properly then.

hector

Aug 3, 2017, 10:39:08 AM8/3/17
I looked up Eyeless in Gaza on imdb. Apparently there was a tv version
made in 1971. I wonder if that could be any good. People just don't
get Huxley novels though.

I've got to say that an 80s movie list can't be complete without Paris,
Texas. Koyaanisqatsi was a real cinema treat in its day. I remember
seeing an experimental film called Turnaround at some festival, earlier
than that with a similar theme.
Where The Buffalo Roam is another one, if they can release the movie now
with the original soundtrack.

Stephen DeMay

Aug 3, 2017, 10:46:43 AM8/3/17
TT, luisb, "SL Greg", Ahearn and choo choo have their own clique...the ass backwards pack. Format that
Notice that the five monkeys ( I'll add Henry fucked up last name to the bunch ) have never put up a single positive critique or review for a well known film. Can't imagine why ?

hector

Aug 3, 2017, 10:53:38 AM8/3/17
I eventually found Paris, Texas in the pages. Brainstorm was a
particular favourite which I saw again not that long ago.
Some don't work at all I think, such as Prizzi's Honor, Ragtime (if it's
there), Out of Africa

Favorites include, Blue Velvet, After Hours, An American Werewolf in
London, Once Upon A Time in America which was shown in the proper non
chronological version in Australia from release, The Philadelphia
Experiment one of the most underrated movies, etc.

Stephen DeMay

Aug 3, 2017, 11:50:36 AM8/3/17
Hector joins the list of posters whose taste is no taste at all. A pig's breakfast of likes and dislikes. I call'em as I see 'em

Henry Soszynski

Aug 3, 2017, 8:07:43 PM8/3/17
The very few I've seen, in total only 22%. The ones I liked are
reasonable without being outstanding.
Cheers

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 9:10:57 PM8/3/17
You're comparing it to the book. But in general as a science fiction
film it really is rather deep.

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 9:12:15 PM8/3/17
Exactly. Wait... what?

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 9:27:53 PM8/3/17
I don't post here often enough to be a part of any 'clique'. I have
posted some reviews here in the past.

As for you, you sound like an attention craving dork... and obviously
your post has nothing to do with your humorous exchange.

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 9:45:09 PM8/3/17
Don't have Ragtime there. I think Prizzi's honor is misunderstood - it's
really a great dark comedy, one of the best.

Once Upon a time in America is by far the best gangster film I've
seen... way better than Godfather, imo. Then again Leone is nothing
short of a legend, he's someone who changed the whole landscape of
western... can you really even compare good old US westerns to Dollar
Trilogy - no, Leone reinvented the whole genre.

Out of Africa is simply class.

Philadelphia Experiment is good imo, although I seem to like pretty much
all time travel films. (except 'The Primer', which is just kindergarten
level of film making really)

And yeah... Paris, Texas is great... the confrontation in the end and
the atmosphere/music earlier make a powerful mix no doubt. Perhaps not
one of the very best but certainly noteworthy.

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 9:46:58 PM8/3/17
What the fuck does his reply to me concern you? Desperate for attention
much?

TT

Aug 3, 2017, 9:51:39 PM8/3/17
It's not a competition anyway. What matters is enjoying films we do see.

Btw, what films would you describe 'outstanding' from the 80s?

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 4, 2017, 2:32:30 AM8/4/17
Don't forget another one of the greats...Lou Diamond Phillips.

Unlike Tom Cruise, Maguire makes it looks easy.

> Which makes me wonder why Broderick isn't seen as part of 'Brat Pack'...

Broadway...talent.

Halmyre

Aug 4, 2017, 2:38:07 AM8/4/17
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 6:31:10 PM UTC+1, TT wrote:
> http://www.listchallenges.com/excellent-films-of-the-1980s
>
> Comments?
>
> How many have you seen?

Quite a few.

A couple of stinkers in there. Any Which Way You Can is pretty rank. 9 to 5? Dallas ?!? And a couple of omissions - Thief, and Manhunter. Oh, and Trading Places. And 48 Hours.

Stephen DeMay

Aug 4, 2017, 9:37:47 AM8/4/17
drink some draino will ya ?

Michael OConnor

Aug 4, 2017, 9:50:49 AM8/4/17

> Which makes me wonder why Broderick isn't seen as part of 'Brat Pack'...

Broderick isn't part of the Brat Pack because he steered clear of the various Brat Pack movies such as The Breakfast Club, St. Elmos Fire, all the other John Hughes teen films with the exception of Ferris Buehler's Day off, which didn't star any of the other Brat Pack stars. He was starring in his own projects and staying away from ensemble films, in the same way Michael J Fox or Charlie Sheen did and thus weren't regarded as part of the Brat Pack.

Michael OConnor

Aug 4, 2017, 10:03:07 AM8/4/17
> A couple of stinkers in there. Any Which Way You Can is pretty rank. 9 to 5? Dallas ?!? And a couple of omissions - Thief, and Manhunter. Oh, and Trading Places. And 48 Hours.

Any Which Way you Can is a guilty pleasure of mine, which I preferred to Every Which Way but Loose. but that's a different list.

Another 80's film that was a guilty pleasure was 1988's Alien Nation.

While it was apples and oranges when compared to the original, I also rather liked 2010. Did it compare to the original? No, but I still liked it

I don't know if anybody has brought up Mask with Cher and Eric Stoltz, but I thought it was a pretty good movie. Heartbreaking story.

hector

Aug 4, 2017, 10:22:49 AM8/4/17
You are getting oppressive on this list. 'I call em as I see em' just
an attitude.
Stop posting so much.
You like horror movies but pretend your tastes are superior.

hector

Aug 4, 2017, 10:29:16 AM8/4/17
I just think that some people think that Italian accents make good
cinema on their own account. I haven't seen it in years.
I put Ragtime as one of the worst movies ever made, haven't seen that in
years either, hard to find for some reason.

> Once Upon a time in America is by far the best gangster film I've
> seen... way better than Godfather, imo. Then again Leone is nothing
> short of a legend, he's someone who changed the whole landscape of
> western... can you really even compare good old US westerns to Dollar
> Trilogy - no, Leone reinvented the whole genre.

I loved finding very long movies in the 80s. Reds was another favourite.
I recently got the Dollar trilogy on bluray, I think I need to watch the
first one again. The Good the Bad and the Ugly is far and away the best
one.

> Out of Africa is simply class.

It just didn't look very good when I saw it at the cinema.

> Philadelphia Experiment is good imo, although I seem to like pretty much
> all time travel films. (except 'The Primer', which is just kindergarten
> level of film making really)

Time travel movies are an easy concept for movies. It was produced by
John Carpenter. Conspiracy theories seem to come about that supported
the movie version of the Philadelphia Experiment.

hector

Aug 4, 2017, 10:31:50 AM8/4/17
Just raving about the 80s. It's true, they made the Lucille Ball thing
on video tape I think and it came across dreadfully, nothing of the
magic of her earlier shows. They didn't broadcast all the episodes and
wouldn't tell her at first. TV was just awful in the 80s, video tape
looked awful.

Halmyre

Aug 4, 2017, 10:48:00 AM8/4/17
Mention of Cher reminds me of 'Suspect' with Dennis Quaid. And that reminds me of 'The Big Easy' with Ellen Barkin, which I preferred to 'Sea of Love'.

Stephen DeMay

Aug 4, 2017, 10:49:35 AM8/4/17
Problem with this group is that the people I find of interest rarely post. Says a lot that someone without taste advises me to post less. The 80's are probably my favorite decade for films . I think little of " best " lists but if I were to compile one for the 80's it would have little similarity to, and would "dwarf" , yours.

SLGreg

Aug 4, 2017, 12:18:23 PM8/4/17
Why are you such a nasty little fuck to everyone?
--
- greg

Stephen DeMay

Aug 4, 2017, 1:30:43 PM8/4/17
you're a projectionist but not of the movie house variety and do the birds of a feather bit well...iIdeal in giving people their due and condign punishment

TT

Aug 4, 2017, 5:51:39 PM8/4/17
Michael OConnor kirjoitti 4.8.2017 klo 17:03:

> Any Which Way you Can is a guilty pleasure of mine, which I preferred to Every Which Way but Loose. but that's a different list.

Yeah, guilty pleasure is a good term for it... although I don't feel
much guilt about it. It's far from being a masterpiece...but... what's
not to like? (a rhetoric question). Clint & fistfights, funny
characters, relaxed film with decent music.

'Every which way but loose' will make an appearance on my 70s list...
have that at 8/10 as well. :)

I think that's my favourite of the two, and I also like the title song a
lot. Gets one in the right mood from the very beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MhJxx6A7dE

...If you don't like that, you're probably not a man.

> Another 80's film that was a guilty pleasure was 1988's Alien Nation.
>
> While it was apples and oranges when compared to the original, I also rather liked 2010. Did it compare to the original? No, but I still liked it
>
> I don't know if anybody has brought up Mask with Cher and Eric Stoltz, but I thought it was a pretty good movie. Heartbreaking story.

I agree that 'Mask' is very good, Alien Nation is pretty nice too.

I've rated '2010' a 7/10 (good-very good), but don't remember much about
it at the very moment.

TT

Aug 4, 2017, 6:07:36 PM8/4/17
Michael OConnor kirjoitti 4.8.2017 klo 16:50:

>> Which makes me wonder why Broderick isn't seen as part of 'Brat Pack'...
>
> Broderick isn't part of the Brat Pack because he steered clear of the various Brat Pack movies such as The Breakfast Club, St. Elmos Fire, all the other John Hughes teen films with the exception of Ferris Buehler's Day off, which didn't star any of the other Brat Pack stars. He was starring in his own projects and staying away from ensemble films, in the same way Michael J Fox or Charlie Sheen did and thus weren't regarded as part of the Brat Pack.

Yeah, it's a pretty loose definition and mainly focused on actors
starring in Breakfast Club & Elmos.

Ferris Bueller was a super popular teen ensemble though and she was in
Wargames with Ally Sheedy (a bratpacker)... hence my 'argument'.

-

I like a lot 'Ladyhawke' as well, also starring John Wood, professor
Falken from Wargames...

TT

Aug 4, 2017, 6:13:58 PM8/4/17
Apparently he sees discussion of movies as some sort of competition, a
chance to feed his bruised ego and poor self confidence. He sounds a lot
like Trump in this respect (I'm the best, greatest, only I can...) and
is equally aggressive.

Normal people rather like to exchange opinions on films they like (or
hate) and preferably find good films they haven't seen in the process.

Stephen DeMay

Aug 4, 2017, 7:15:13 PM8/4/17
The lowest form of posting is to write " I liked this or that and did not like this or that " without supplying a full critique. It's lazy and pointless.

Henry Soszynski

Aug 4, 2017, 8:06:08 PM8/4/17
From IMDb's export facility. I don't give '10s' at all. To me that
means perfection and there's no such thing.

Title Rated Year
Somewhere in Time 8 1980
Escape from New York 8 1981
Raiders of the Lost Ark 8 1981
Blade Runner 9 1982
High Road to China 8 1983
The Keep 8 1983
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone 8 1983
Amadeus 8 1984
Starman 8 1984
The Terminator 8 1984
Ladyhawke 8 1985
Brazil 8 1985
Back to the Future 8 1985
Big Trouble in Little China 8 1986
Predator 8 1987
Lethal Weapon 8 1987
RoboCop 8 1987
Young Einstein 9 1988
Beetlejuice 9 1988
Red Heat 8 1988
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 8 1989

Cheers,
Henry Soszynski

Stephen DeMay

Aug 4, 2017, 8:32:57 PM8/4/17
10 means as good as you're going to get either in a genre or in comparison to all film. No need for concern about 10's ... 14 of these are 5 and unders

TT

Aug 4, 2017, 9:02:46 PM8/4/17
Ok.

I've given 34 tens out of 4200 titles.

That's still way too little considering that most teens give only high
numbers to modern films they see - which leads to modern crap occupying
the IMDB top lists instead of true great classics.

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 4, 2017, 10:40:35 PM8/4/17
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 10:29:16 AM UTC-4, hector wrote:

> I just think that some people think that Italian accents make good
> cinema on their own account. I haven't seen it in years.
> I put Ragtime as one of the worst movies ever made, haven't seen that in
> years either, hard to find for some reason.

I will have to megaditto this comment about Ragtime.

> > Once Upon a time in America is by far the best gangster film I've
> > seen... way better than Godfather, imo. Then again Leone is nothing
> > short of a legend, he's someone who changed the whole landscape of
> > western... can you really even compare good old US westerns to Dollar
> > Trilogy - no, Leone reinvented the whole genre.
>
> I loved finding very long movies in the 80s. Reds was another favourite.
> I recently got the Dollar trilogy on bluray, I think I need to watch the
> first one again. The Good the Bad and the Ugly is far and away the best
> one.

Reds has been on TCM every time I pop it on recently. I try try try to like it but can't. It's hard to watch Warren Beatty making out with himself for that many hours when it's ostensibly a serious show.

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 4, 2017, 10:44:10 PM8/4/17
Since when can a dwarf dwarf?

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 4, 2017, 10:45:41 PM8/4/17
How about Jagged Edge?

Stephen DeMay

Aug 4, 2017, 11:19:15 PM8/4/17
do clean that drool off you chin

Stephen DeMay

Aug 4, 2017, 11:23:24 PM8/4/17
Wow ...A staggering display of film knowledge.. you best post to date ;)

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 5, 2017, 12:47:42 AM8/5/17
You ESL?

Stephen DeMay

Aug 5, 2017, 9:27:43 AM8/5/17
me Tarzan you Cheetah

hector

Aug 7, 2017, 11:11:01 AM8/7/17
On 5/08/2017 12:40 PM, luisb...@aol.com wrote:
> On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 10:29:16 AM UTC-4, hector wrote:
>
>> I just think that some people think that Italian accents make good
>> cinema on their own account. I haven't seen it in years.
>> I put Ragtime as one of the worst movies ever made, haven't seen that in
>> years either, hard to find for some reason.
>
> I will have to megaditto this comment about Ragtime.
>>

>>> Once Upon a time in America is by far the best gangster film I've
>>> seen... way better than Godfather, imo. Then again Leone is nothing
>>> short of a legend, he's someone who changed the whole landscape of
>>> western... can you really even compare good old US westerns to Dollar
>>> Trilogy - no, Leone reinvented the whole genre.
>>
>> I loved finding very long movies in the 80s. Reds was another favourite.
>> I recently got the Dollar trilogy on bluray, I think I need to watch the
>> first one again. The Good the Bad and the Ugly is far and away the best
>> one.
>
> Reds has been on TCM every time I pop it on recently. I try try try to like it but can't. It's hard to watch Warren Beatty making out with himself for that many hours when it's ostensibly a serious show.

It loses something over repeated viewings. I loved it in 1981.

hector

Aug 7, 2017, 11:15:23 AM8/7/17
The word eclectic mustn't apply. All types can do what they like hopefully.
Someone's inner mind as content and influence over others gets repellant.
What's the point of posting on this newsgroup if someone of this limited
view of things tries to take control?
Movies are a flawed art medium, they never are that good, they can only
resonate with someone for reasons that totally elude the maker and the
critics. If this was pop music I wouldn't be so all over the place.
If only someone like Tarantino would appear in the pop music world,
someone who actually cares about the details.
And why does what I post matter so much?

Poisoned Rose

Aug 7, 2017, 10:40:52 PM8/7/17
On 2017-08-02 17:31:09 +0000, TT said:

> http://www.listchallenges.com/excellent-films-of-the-1980s
>
> Comments?
>
> How many have you seen?

When I got to "Superman II" and "Any Which Way You Can," I knew I
wouldn't be finishing this challenge.

I threw a top 100 to an '80s poll last year...I probably could stand to
tweak the list now, but this is what I submitted.

1. Once Upon a Time in America 1984
2. Ran 1985
3. Fitzcarraldo 1982
4. Wings of Desire 1987
5. Raging Bull 1980
6. Brazil 1985
7. Amadeus 1984
8. Blue Velvet 1986
9. Fanny and Alexander 1982
10. Au revoir les enfants 1987
11. This Is Spinal Tap 1984
12. The Stunt Man 1980
13. The Shining 1980
14. Paris, Texas 1984
15. Dekalog 1989
16. The Vanishing 1988
17. Do the Right Thing 1989
18. Excalibur 1981
19. Chariots of Fire 1981
20. Das Boot 1985
21. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover 1989
22. Tanner '88 1988
23. The Killing Fields 1984
24. Diner 1982
25. Gandhi 1982
26. Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981
27. The Purple Rose of Cairo 1985
28. Repo Man 1984
29. A Zed & Two Noughts 1985
30. Mauvais Sang 1986
31. Down by Law 1986
32. The Sacrifice 1986
33. Airplane! 1980
34. Local Hero 1983
35. The Thin Blue Line 1988
36. Hannah and Her Sisters 1986
37. Big 1988
38. Koyaanisqatsi 1982
39. Cinema Paradiso 1988
40. Reds 1981
41. Say Anything... 1989
42. River's Edge 1986
43. The Last Emperor 1987
44. The State of Things 1982
45. The Mission 1986
46. Jean de Florette 1986
47. Manon of the Spring 1986
48. Broadway Danny Rose 1984
49. After Hours 1985
50. Kagemusha 1980
51. Back to the Future 1985
52. Zelig 1983
53. Crimes and Misdemeanors 1989
54. Sherman's March 1985
55. Stranger Than Paradise 1984
56. The Elephant Man 1980
57. The Last Metro 1980
58. My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown 1989
59. The Fly 1986
60. Hope and Glory 1987
61. The Times of Harvey Milk 1984
62. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown 1988
63. Platoon 1986
64. Time Bandits 1981
65. Heathers 1988
66. The Untouchables 1987
67. Unknown Chaplin 1983
68. Vagabond 1985
69. Aliens 1986
70. Sid and Nancy 1986
71. The Draughtsman's Contract 1982
72. Une Chambre en Ville 1982
73. I Know My First Name Is Steven 1989
74. Birdy 1984
75. The Coca-Cola Kid 1985
76. My Favorite Year 1982
77. Working Girl 1988
78. Made in Britain 1982
79. Atlantic City 1980
80. The Right Stuff 1983
81. Sophie's Choice 1982
82. Hairspray 1988
83. Gregory's Girl 1981
84. Pee-wee's Big Adventure 1985
85. Altered States 1980
86. Stardust Memories 1980
87. An American Werewolf in London 1981
88. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence 1983
89. Veronika Voss 1982
90. On Golden Pond 1981
91. Come and See 1985
92. Drowning by Numbers 1988
93. And the Ship Sails On 1983
94. Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! 1989
95. Prick Up Your Ears 1987
96. The Falls 1980
97. City of Women 1980
98. Matador 1986
99. Bad Timing 1980
100. High Hopes 1988

TT

Aug 7, 2017, 11:52:23 PM8/7/17
Poisoned Rose kirjoitti 8.8.2017 klo 5:40:
> On 2017-08-02 17:31:09 +0000, TT said:
>
>> http://www.listchallenges.com/excellent-films-of-the-1980s
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> How many have you seen?
>
> When I got to "Superman II" and "Any Which Way You Can," I knew I
> wouldn't be finishing this challenge.

And why is that?

As if Heathers, Hairspray or Pee-wee would be somehow better...
I've rated around 85/100.

Lots of same titles as on my list anyway.

I'm really disappointed with you though... including some art films but
not a single Tarkovsky. I guess you're not a real art-film lover after
all...
(Having said that... Nostalghia & Sacrifice are pretty terrible films)

TT

Aug 8, 2017, 12:04:29 AM8/8/17
Or not, around 25.

> I'm really disappointed with you though... including some art films but
> not a single Tarkovsky. I guess you're not a real art-film lover after
> all...
> (Having said that... Nostalghia & Sacrifice are pretty terrible films)

My bad, you did have 'Sacrifice' there...

Terrible film. All style, zero substance.

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2017, 1:24:38 AM8/8/17
I can't see Elephant Man behind movies like Say Anything and After Hours--and so far behind. Can't see it.

Lewis

Aug 8, 2017, 8:42:19 AM8/8/17
In message <UzaiB.1739$mh1....@uutiset.elisa.fi> TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:
> Poisoned Rose kirjoitti 8.8.2017 klo 5:40:
>> On 2017-08-02 17:31:09 +0000, TT said:
>>
>>> http://www.listchallenges.com/excellent-films-of-the-1980s
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> How many have you seen?
>>
>> When I got to "Superman II" and "Any Which Way You Can," I knew I
>> wouldn't be finishing this challenge.
>>

> And why is that?

Because they are not good.

> As if Heathers, Hairspray or Pee-wee would be somehow better...

Yes, they would. Much better. Well, maybe not Hairspray.

I wouldn't have included On Golden Pond; while the performances are
great, the movie is pretty meh.

--
Maybe I should have seen it as some kind of sign, except I don't believe
in them no more; no no, but I believe these things I can't forget, tho I

TT

Aug 8, 2017, 11:00:01 AM8/8/17
Lewis kirjoitti 8.8.2017 klo 15:38:
> In message <UzaiB.1739$mh1....@uutiset.elisa.fi> TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:
>> Poisoned Rose kirjoitti 8.8.2017 klo 5:40:

>>> When I got to "Superman II" and "Any Which Way You Can," I knew I
>>> wouldn't be finishing this challenge.
>>>

>> And why is that?
>
> Because they are not good.
>
>> As if Heathers, Hairspray or Pee-wee would be somehow better...
>
> Yes, they would. Much better. Well, maybe not Hairspray.

Hard to see anyone over 10 finding Pee-wee funny. Heathers is below
average teen comedy imo, from the long line of similar teen comedies.
You Americans need to get over your 'most popular teen' complex, it's as
shallow and ridiculous as it gets... and contributes to incredibly banal
and superficial teen flicks...

Lewis

Aug 8, 2017, 3:34:27 PM8/8/17
In message <OlkiB.1782$mh1...@uutiset.elisa.fi> TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:
> Lewis kirjoitti 8.8.2017 klo 15:38:

>>> And why is that?
>>
>> Because they are not good.
>>
>>> As if Heathers, Hairspray or Pee-wee would be somehow better...
>>
>> Yes, they would. Much better. Well, maybe not Hairspray.
>>

> Hard to see anyone over 10 finding Pee-wee funny.

I claim you are either a soulless robot or have never seen Pee-Wee's Big
Adventure, and I claim my £10.

> Heathers is below average teen comedy imo,

Then you were not paying attention.

> from the long line of similar teen comedies.

There are no (precious few, at least) similar comedies, teen or not.

> You Americans need to get over your 'most popular teen' complex, it's as
> shallow and ridiculous as it gets... and contributes to incredibly banal
> and superficial teen flicks...

You have no idea what you're talking about.

--
A Clean House Is A Sign Of A Misspent Life

TT

Aug 8, 2017, 4:19:23 PM8/8/17
Lewis kirjoitti 8.8.2017 klo 22:30:
> In message <OlkiB.1782$mh1...@uutiset.elisa.fi> TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

>>> Because they are not good.

>>> Yes, they would. Much better. Well, maybe not Hairspray.
>>>

>> Hard to see anyone over 10 finding Pee-wee funny.
>
> I claim you are either a soulless robot or have never seen Pee-Wee's Big
> Adventure, and I claim my £10.

The film is terminally unfunny while the character is spectacularly
irritating. I may have exaggerated when I put the age limit at 10... 6
would probably be closer to truth.

In any case you're missing the point which is that one man's garbage is
another man's treasure and it's silly to dismiss entire list based on
couple films especially on a decade like the 80s which is not especially
known for good taste. Also, your only argument seems to be that you
found the childish humour of Pee wee funny... fine, but hardly a
convincing argument to pretend for example Superman 2 being a worse
film. Imo Superman 2 was not much worse than the 1978 classic, while
critics seem to agree.

Poisoned Rose

Aug 8, 2017, 9:35:34 PM8/8/17
On 2017-08-08 02:40:46 +0000, Poisoned Rose said:

> On 2017-08-02 17:31:09 +0000, TT said:
>
>> http://www.listchallenges.com/excellent-films-of-the-1980s
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> How many have you seen?

OK, I skimmed the list.

I haven't seen around a third of the films on that list, but the only
ones I can imagine myself ever watching in the future are Runaway
Train, The Name of the Rose, Interrogation, The Thing (which I might
have seen already...not sure), Cruising and The Border.

I'm a bit disappointed that Just One of the Guys edged out Ran.

TT

Aug 8, 2017, 10:23:32 PM8/8/17
Poisoned Rose kirjoitti 9.8.2017 klo 4:35:
> On 2017-08-08 02:40:46 +0000, Poisoned Rose said:
>
>> On 2017-08-02 17:31:09 +0000, TT said:
>>
>>> http://www.listchallenges.com/excellent-films-of-the-1980s
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> How many have you seen?
>
> OK, I skimmed the list.
>
> I haven't seen around a third of the films on that list, but the only
> ones I can imagine myself ever watching in the future are Runaway Train,
> The Name of the Rose, Interrogation, The Thing (which I might have seen
> already...not sure), Cruising and The Border.

I think there are a few more slightly lesser known but 'foolproof'
titles aka films I think pretty much everyone would like... such as for
example 'Missing', 'Southern Comfort', 'Brubaker' etc...

Teen films are always a risk, perhaps comedy and horror too.

Of the miniseries I included I believe 'Lonesome Dove' and 'Cosmos' are
nearly impossible to dislike. Recommended if you haven't seen yet. 'The
Martian Chronicles' is imo great thoughtful scifi but apparently many
don't seem to share the opinion at IMDB.

> I'm a bit disappointed that Just One of the Guys edged out Ran.

Actually it didn't... the list is in chronological order (apart from
last 5 or so titles). I have rated 'Ran' a 9/10... while 'Just one of
the guys' would be barely 8, maybe closer to 7,5.

luisb...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2017, 11:30:03 PM8/8/17
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 10:23:32 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
> Poisoned Rose kirjoitti 9.8.2017 klo 4:35:

> > OK, I skimmed the list.
> >
> > I haven't seen around a third of the films on that list, but the only
> > ones I can imagine myself ever watching in the future are Runaway Train,
> > The Name of the Rose, Interrogation, The Thing (which I might have seen
> > already...not sure), Cruising and The Border.
> >

> I think there are a few more slightly lesser known but 'foolproof'
> titles aka films I think pretty much everyone would like... such as for
> example 'Missing', 'Southern Comfort', 'Brubaker' etc...
>
> Teen films are always a risk, perhaps comedy and horror too.
>
> Of the miniseries I included I believe 'Lonesome Dove' and 'Cosmos' are
> nearly impossible to dislike. Recommended if you haven't seen yet. 'The
> Martian Chronicles' is imo great thoughtful scifi but apparently many
> don't seem to share the opinion at IMDB.

If Lonesome Dove's going on there, Singing Detective has to appear as well. That's a no brainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn6VviyCpnU

> > I'm a bit disappointed that Just One of the Guys edged out Ran.
> >

> Actually it didn't... the list is in chronological order (apart from
> last 5 or so titles). I have rated 'Ran' a 9/10... while 'Just one of
> the guys' would be barely 8, maybe closer to 7,5.

If

Poisoned Rose

Aug 9, 2017, 5:44:11 AM8/9/17
On 2017-08-09 02:23:34 +0000, TT said:

>> I'm a bit disappointed that Just One of the Guys edged out Ran.
>>

> Actually it didn't... the list is in chronological order (apart from
> last 5 or so titles). I have rated 'Ran' a 9/10... while 'Just one of
> the guys' would be barely 8, maybe closer to 7,5.

So, Ran is 10%-15% better than Just One of The Guys. Yeah, that sounds
about right.

TT

Aug 9, 2017, 8:18:02 AM8/9/17
Well if you think that for example 10/10 is twice as good as 5/10. I
don't think it works that way.

In any case, 'Just one of the guys' with 8/10 belongs statistically to
my top 19% - while 'Ran' with 9/10 is in top 4%.

Quite different type of films though, probably not the best 80s
double-feature...

Maybe...
Ran & Kagemusha
Just One of The Guys & Secret Admirer

The first one would be pretty hardcore though, lasting around 6 hours
total. People would be walking out before the brilliant final battle in
Kagemusha...

Lewis

Aug 9, 2017, 4:46:05 PM8/9/17
That is not at all what I said, you are projecting. PWBA is widely
regarded as an excellent movie, not just by me and not just by 6yos. In
fact, I'd say most people like it more than I do, but that has nothing to
do with whether it belongs on a list of 80s movies, it absolutely does.

> fine, but hardly a convincing argument to pretend for example Superman
> 2 being a worse film. Imo Superman 2 was not much worse than the 1978
> classic, while critics seem to agree.

Superman II is a noticeably worse movie than the first, though the
release of the "Donner cut" is much better.

--
There is nothing so stupid that some person somewhere will not, with
earnestness, say it.

TT

Aug 9, 2017, 6:03:57 PM8/9/17
I assume that Poisoned Rose's main problem with the film was that it's
ranked so 'high' on my list. He didn't notice the list was in
chronological order.

As for 'noticeably worse'...

Rotten Tomatoes says:

Superman: 93% - 8/10
Superman II: 89% - 7,5/10

I pretty much agree with RT here. The original is slightly better
although the sequel brings some cool stuff in it, mainly the
supervillains from Krypton. I think I also was exactly the right age for
the film in 1980...

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 9, 2017, 6:07:20 PM8/9/17
The first 10 minutes or so of Superman III was a great comic setpiece.
The rest of the movie not so much..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Stephen DeMay

Aug 9, 2017, 7:52:12 PM8/9/17
RAMPF has never sunk so low witness the dumbing down of America

Poisoned Rose

Aug 9, 2017, 9:56:57 PM8/9/17
TT said:

> Rotten Tomatoes says:
>
> Superman: 93% - 8/10
> Superman II: 89% - 7,5/10
>
> I pretty much agree with RT here.

Superman II has a mediocre 6.8 user rating on IMDB...citing the binary
"good or bad" Rotten Tomatoes numbers doesn't go far with me.

hector

Aug 10, 2017, 3:27:33 AM8/10/17
I remember the 80s and I lived through the 80s, but I couldn't do a
list. I don't know every movie in this list. Some I have only seen
more recently.
Koyaanisqatsi was a cinema treat, recently got the bluray.

You can add maybe an Australian movie, Malcolm (1986?)
I never got the hype over Come and See.
Unknown Chaplin was a documentary, I thought there was an actual series
too but I can't find it.
Another one to add:
The Kids Are Alright about The Who.
The In Crowd (a movie I've tried to find again for a long time)
Purple Haze (actually available to get a copy from the director which I
haven't gotten around to).
1969 (maybe the movie that got Robert Downey Jr the part in Chaplin).

I'm still frustrated over the presumed hate over The Philadelphia
Experiment. A movie that used time travel to combine with a suspense
narrative. And maybe people should understand there was a myth over the
Philadelphia Experiment, it's not based entirely on fiction. It's been
extrapolated in more recent years. I don't seek agreement on
newsgroups, and probably not trying to find my people either.

I think Where The Buffalo Roam has recently been released on disc
finally with the original soundtrack.
I didn't mind a movie called Shag, about 1988 with Bridget Fonda, and
Scandal with her, which might have been her first movie. Haven't seen
Scandal in years, about a political scandal in England in the early 60s,
with John Hurt if I'm not wrong. The Profumo Affair.
Shag was another one over soundtrack confusion. It came out on video
with a different music soundtrack, then when the original soundtrack was
released it confused people who didn't know which was which.

TT

Aug 10, 2017, 9:23:03 AM8/10/17
Rotten Tomatoes also lists score out of 10. For Superman II it's 7.5/10.

Little bit surprising it's higher at RT than IMDB for this kind of movie
(pure entertainment). I figure that is because of the relatively younger
average age at IMDB...
"Wow man, this really sucks compared to the masterpiece that is Batman
vs Superman - Did you see the effects lol, This guy Reeve should go to
gym more often or at least wear a rubber suit - What, no Batman?!"

Having said that, maybe I'm wearing some nostalgia lenses and 7 would be
more fitting than 8 now. It was very good and successful superhero film
for its time... haven't seen it in some time but pretty much still
remember the story and especially the villains - same can not be said of
modern Superman films.

http://orig03.deviantart.net/9e5d/f/2012/195/1/4/mad_magazine___superman_ii_1981_by_superman8193-d579kj9.jpg

TT

Aug 10, 2017, 9:35:31 AM8/10/17
hector kirjoitti 10.8.2017 klo 10:26:

> I remember the 80s and I lived through the 80s, but I couldn't do a
> list. I don't know every movie in this list. Some I have only seen
> more recently.
> Koyaanisqatsi was a cinema treat, recently got the bluray.

Yeah, I have that at 10/10. It's a visual treat and also reflects the
frantic modern society brilliantly without use of words, the contrast
between modern day technology vs nature/natural way of life etc... real
eye-opener.

> I never got the hype over Come and See.

Great visually which adds to the atmosphere, it's mostly a
mood/atmosphere piece. Has some *very* effective scenes of violence as
well. I do think it deserves its reputation, a different kind of war film.

> I'm still frustrated over the presumed hate over The Philadelphia
> Experiment. A movie that used time travel to combine with a suspense
> narrative. And maybe people should understand there was a myth over the
> Philadelphia Experiment, it's not based entirely on fiction. It's been
> extrapolated in more recent years. I don't seek agreement on
> newsgroups, and probably not trying to find my people either.

It's a nice scifi film for its time I think. Still I'd say as a film
around average.