Most satisfying scene of destruction

Paul Richardson

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
Charles Foster Kane busting up the room in CITIZEN KANE.

Oddjob squeezing the golf ball in GOLDFINGER.

The ending of BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.

CLaGuire

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
In article <HwruQXAx...@mosshead0.demon.co.uk>, GC
<G...@mosshead0.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Which film features the most satisfying scene of destruction? Is it
> John Belushi smashing the guitar in ANIMAL HOUSE? Or perhaps the Death
> Star being blown up at the end of STAR WARS? Any others?

This happens to be one of my reasons for going to see pictures on some
fridays. I don't find Animal House to be all that satisfying, but just
about any reasonable action adventure movie has some pretty satisfying
destruction.

Guilty pleasure: if you want to see a picture where things blow up for
absolutely NO REASON, watch the first half hour of Lethal Weapon 4.

Camille

--
Spamblock in use: Remove .NULL from my address to reply by email.

http://member.newsguy.com/~handbook/videos.htm

Rick Howard

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00

Paul Richardson wrote

> The ending of BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.

I agree. The bridge blowing up is so satisfying because

(1) in his last second of life Col. Nicholson redeems
himself for the erroneous course of collaboration
that he had pursued long and hard for so much
of the movie;

(2) it resolves the great dramatic tension over whether
the mission to blow the bridge would succeed; and

(3) well, it was a really cool bridge, and it blew up
neat, and I'd never seen a train fall into a river
like that before.

no...@webtv.net

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00

Apocalypse Now. The conclusion.

I love a good fireworks.

And that one was shamelessly beautiful.

---
norton shawn

. .. .. .. ..

GC

Dec 1, 2000, 9:48:17 PM12/1/00

PSmith9626

Dec 1, 2000, 11:06:42 PM12/1/00
dear GC,
The earth destroyed in " When worlds collide". Runner up: Washington trashed
with crashed flying saucers in "Earth Vs, The Flying Saucers".
penny

Steve Oldham

Dec 1, 2000, 10:55:38 PM12/1/00
In 'Miller's Crossing' Leo (Albert Finney) thwarts an assassination
attempt at his mansion. That mick did some serious damage in that scene.

Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

dongxiang liao

Dec 1, 2000, 11:37:38 PM12/1/00

Dr. Strangelove, the capiton riding the H bomb down
--
Dong

Richard Lanham

Dec 2, 2000, 12:28:41 AM12/2/00

The end of Fritz Lang's _Kriemhild's Revenge_, which is part 2 of Die
Nibelungen (sp?).

Rick

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
> Which film features the most satisfying scene of destruction?

I like the one at the end of The Rocketeer, because of the other things
going on in addition to the, ah, main item of destruction.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "This is, I am told, progress.
m...@vex.net But I beg leave to doubt it." --Frimbo

Graham

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
It's better the more unnecessary it is.

Gator - The guy accidentally crashing his speedboat through that guys
swamp house COMPLETELY destroying it.

The Driver - Ryan O'Neal destroying that orange Mercedes in a parking
lot for no apparent reason. It's not even his after all. Thanks mate.

The Boys from Brazil - A good room trashing while they look for a bug.

French Connection 2 - "You guys have got rats" (Popeye Doyle torches
this seedy hotel with a smile on his face).

DRY2K - Violin smashing.

Sweet Revenge - after spending the whole movie scrimping money to get
it, why does Stockard Channing set fire to her Ferrari at the end? It
makes no sense.

Steve Oldham

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
In 'The Big Lebowski' John Goodman demolishes a brand new sports car
(Corvette?) with a crow bar while screaming "This is what happens when
you f*** a stranger in the ass!"

It turns out the car doesn't belong to the person he is seeking
vengeance against. The true owner isn't happy about that so he goes
nuts on Lebowski's car which is a refugee from a demolition derby
anyway.

It may not be a fun scene for car fanatics.

Steve

John Harkness

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

Speaking of John Goodman and the Coens, the hotel fire in Barton Fink
-- "I'll show you the life of the mind!"

John Harkness

no...@webtv.net

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

The elephants did it.!!

Elephant Walk.

(Elizabeth Taylor's grandfather just HAD to build his house across the
giant creatures traditional trail.)

Paul

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Steve McQueen shooting the front of a police car with a shot-gun. And all
other Sam Peckinpah films.

"Mark Brader" <m...@vex.net> wrote in message

> > Which film features the most satisfying scene of destruction?

Paul Kunkel

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Jonathan Winters completely levels the filling station in It's a Mad,
Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Kunkel

Man

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

Man

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

any miyazaki film

akira

bubblegum crisis

fight club

zorba the greek

siberiade

easy rider

godzilla vs king kong

Howard Brazee

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Parking the car in Fried Green Tomatoes.

Jim Powers

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

GC wrote:

In "The Jerk" Steve Martin chains the axle of the crooks' car to a hose
faucet which is attached to a church, and they end up dragging half of the
church down the street.

Carrie Fisher's attempted assassination of John Belush with a bazooka in
"The Blues Brothers," which demolishes the flophouse hotel the brothers are
living in.

I dimly remember a Laurel and Hardy movie where they get into an argument
that escalates until they end up destroying a house.

Helen & Bob

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

Jim Powers wrote:

> I dimly remember a Laurel and Hardy movie where they get into an argument
> that escalates until they end up destroying a house.

Big Business. They are selling Xmas trees in July. One of the most hilarious
comedies ever filmed. Hard, Oh my side hurts laughter. There is nobody today
as funny as Stan and Babe.
Bob

blue...@ac.net

Dec 3, 2000, 12:37:23 AM12/3/00
John Belushi's smashing of the guitar was my favorite, I guess 2nd
place will be Jonathan Winters ( a real funnyman ) when he destroyed the
gas station in the great madcap comedy "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad,
World, starring almost all the comedians in the 60's.

DD

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
No one could make me laugh quite as hard as Laurel & Hardy..from Oliver
putting up a radio antenna on the roof of his house with Stan's help, or
cleaning a chimney, to the "tit for tat" confrontations with Charlie
Hall and James Finlayson, or their great silent movies that involved
hundreds destroying their automobiles , or just bringing Stan home to
meet the wife and have a steak dinner, something usually got destroyed
along the way.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"...A brave man once asked me,
to answer questions that are key,
'Is it to be or not to be?'
and I replied: 'Oh, why ask me?'..."

Mpoconnor7

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
The White House blowing up in "Independence Day".

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
"The probability of one person being right increases in a direct porportion to
the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"

ocean

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

GC <G...@mosshead0.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Which film features the most satisfying scene of destruction? Is it
> John Belushi smashing the guitar in ANIMAL HOUSE? Or perhaps the Death
> Star being blown up at the end of STAR WARS? Any others?

Popeye smashing up the car with his terrified passenger at his side - The
French Connection.
The kids destroying their hometown - Over the Edge.
The cafe scene (a very intense clash between rockers and mods) -
Quadrophenia.
The destruction of 'Mother's nest' - Alien

t.cruise

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 08:42:56 -0800 (PST), no...@webtv.net wrote:

>The elephants did it.!!
>
>Elephant Walk.
>
>(Elizabeth Taylor's grandfather just HAD to build his house across the
>giant creatures traditional trail.)

It was the tyrannical father of Taylor's husband who had built the
house on the elephant path. "Elephant Walk" and "The Naked Jungle,"
both released in 1954, are two tacky adventure films. They're so
similar in their tackiness, that they're like bookends. They're also
guilty pleasures of mine, because they're so much fun to watch.
Although each had some location shooting, the bulk of the filming was
on the studios' back lots. Some of the switching from the location
shots, to the back lot shots is downright hilarious. Also, Vivien
Leigh was the original star of "Elephant Walk." She had flown to
Ceylon for the location shooting, had an affair with her co-star Peter
Finch, and then had a nervous breakdown. The studio replaced her with
Elizabeth Taylor, who did all of her scenes on the studio's back lot.
The location footage with Vivien Leigh was used. So, it's Vivien
Leigh that you're seeing in the long shots, and Elizabeth Taylor in
the closeups...

T.C.

Paul Kunkel

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
After reconsidering the title to this thread, I came up with some
other nominees. A satisfying scene is not necessarily fun. It has to
satisfy my sense of justice.

First, an admittedly bad movie, "Smokey and the Bandit." It has a
scene that acts out an old joke. A truck driver is harassed, beaten,
and humiliated by a gang of bikers. He stumbles outside, climbs into
his rig, and runs over their motorcycles.

I cannot even remember the name of this second film. It is only a
foggy memory. The protagonist is a woman who visits an analyst. He
times their sessions with an alarm clock. Whenever the alarm sounds,
he abruptly puts an end to the conversation. Eventually, the woman
seizes control of her life. She bursts into the analyst's office
carrying a large hammer, destroys the clock with one blow, and leaves
without saying a word. When I think about it, I sometimes see Julie
Andrews. Or maybe it was Mary Tyler Moore, or Marsha Mason. Someone
help me with this.

Kunkel

Dan Brusca

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
I'm quite surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the aliens blowing up the
White House in Independence Day ;)

Dan Brusca
www.danbrusca.com

no...@webtv.net

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Dear DD,

Laurel & Hardy were the Lords of Destruction, all right. No one has
ever done it funnier.

Thanks for your astute reminder.

no...@webtv.net

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Dear Kunkel,

Mae West?

no...@webtv.net

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Taylor's father? or father-in-law? Taylor? or Leigh? Whatever.

Bicycle polo in the house?

I sure did love those elephants.!!

Take Back the Walk.!!

Mark Buckles

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Well it's not on the scale of grand destruction, but I like the scene in
"Shane" when Alan Ladd lands a punch on the bad guy's jaw just as
the kid who is watching the fight takes a big crunching bite out of his
candy cane. That has always felt satisfying to me.

Mark Buckles
San Diego

Chris Pierson

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <J8zW5.5381$nd.74586@stones>, Dan Brusca <ma...@danbrusca.com> wrote:
>I'm quite surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the aliens blowing up the
>White House in Independence Day ;)

Someone did, actually. I'd say it was more impressive in the Independence
Day trailer than in the movie itself, because the trailer was actually
_good_.

I'll put in a vote for God turning an entire brigade of Nazis into goo at
the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

--
Chris Pierson ** 10 Favorites, 2000 Toronto film fest: Crouching Tiger
** Hidden Dragon, Best in Show, The Dish, Requiem for a

Sawfish

Dec 3, 2000, 10:06:41 PM12/3/00
GC <G...@mosshead0.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Which film features the most satisfying scene of destruction? Is it
>John Belushi smashing the guitar in ANIMAL HOUSE? Or perhaps the Death
>Star being blown up at the end of STAR WARS? Any others?

Slightly off target, but I got the *BIGGEST* kick when Alabama
Whorley(sp?) finally got the upper hand against the mafioso who was just
beating the shit out of her, and nailed him over the head with the water
closet lid. I really loved that, after all the guts she had, and the stuff
she'd been through...

Oh, well..

--
--Sawfish
"If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance."

-JM-

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
> Which film features the most satisfying scene of destruction? Is it
> John Belushi smashing the guitar in ANIMAL HOUSE? Or perhaps the
Death
> Star being blown up at the end of STAR WARS? Any others?

Just because I saw it the other night on video I'll say
The Getaway (1972). Steve McQueen shotguns to death
a police car. A Peckinpah slow motion moment was cool.
And if I'm not mistaken they used real buckshot to destroy
the police car.

Also, the greatest human mass destruction is at the end
of Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (1969).

-JM-

Howard Brazee

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
Not the destruction, but the look in the guys eyes in Raising Arizona When McDonnough shows his tormentor the grenade pin in his hand.

tricks...@my-deja.com

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
My vote would go for James Cameron's Titanic...

Jeffrey Davis

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Chris Pierson wrote:

> I'll put in a vote for God turning an entire brigade of Nazis into goo at
> the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Kiss Me Deadly says Hey.

--
Jeffrey Davis <jeffk...@earthlink.net>