Actor/Actress who improved skills most in career

S D

Oct 31, 2009, 12:02:28 AM10/31/09
Jack Nicholson seemed the worst actor in the universe in The Terror and
Little Shop.

S D

Oct 31, 2009, 10:21:59 AM10/31/09
Harrison Ford also did not come over well

Michael O'Connor

Oct 31, 2009, 3:17:19 PM10/31/09
Jessica Lange did not impress me as an actress when I saw her in King
Kong, but developed into an Oscar Winning actress.

Martin Landau was one who showed promise in his younger days and
showed occasional flashes of brilliance, but by the 1970's when he was
doing Space 1999 and movies like Meteor and that Gilligan's Island
reunion movie I felt he had become something of a hack. In the mid
late 80's he developed into an outstanding character actor in films.

I wasn't too impressed with Tom Hanks in his younger days; I never
imagined he would develop into the Jimmy Stewart of his era.

Clint Eastwood is having one of the most interesting third acts in
film history; in his younger days I didn't think much of him as an
actor but he has improved considerably over the years.

Howard Brazee

Oct 31, 2009, 5:32:19 PM10/31/09
How accurate was Dorothy Parker when she said "Miss Hepburn ran the
emotional gamut from A to B."? What work was she referring to?

If it has any merit, it shows Kate's improved skill.

- James Madison

wull

Oct 31, 2009, 7:01:44 PM10/31/09

"Howard Brazee" <how...@brazee.net> wrote in message

> How accurate was Dorothy Parker when she said "Miss Hepburn ran the
> emotional gamut from A to B."? What work was she referring to?
>
> If it has any merit, it shows Kate's improved skill.

Lola Albright improved with age as did Muriel Hemingway.

Wull

Brian

Oct 31, 2009, 9:12:52 PM10/31/09
Candace Bergen. A really lousy actress for the first dozen or so
years of her career - and then got much better from the late 70s on.

Endymion9

Oct 31, 2009, 9:44:51 PM10/31/09
"S D" <for...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Harrison Ford also did not come over well

True. Think of Harrison looking weak head to head with Henry Winkler in
Heroes.

Dennis/Endy9
~Some will sink, but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here.
You're my witness, I'm your Mutineer.~ Warren Zevon

El Klauso

Nov 1, 2009, 3:42:58 PM11/1/09
I'd have to split my vote between Charles Laughton and Frederic March.

Laughton's early films were incredibly heavy-handed and stage
oriented, and even some of his mid-career work was frequently
overdone. By the end of his career, when sufficiently engaged by the
material and the co-stars - such as in "Spartacus" or "Advise and
Consent" he was virtually without peer, and wonderfully adept at film
acting.

March also started off 'too large' for the screen, making his work in
such early films as "Sign of the Cross" and "The Affairs of Cellini"
difficult to take. He blossomed a little earlier than Laughton IMHO,
and by the time of "Anthony Adverse" had tamed most of his excesses.
The depth, skill and subtle playing of of March in his later
portrayals, such as "Best Years of Our Lives," "Executive Suite," and
"Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" were quite impressive.

Dave in Toronto

Nov 2, 2009, 1:14:35 AM11/2/09

I thought March was excellent in _ A Star is Born_ and although I
would never have cast him as a swashbuckler there was nothing wrong
with his performance as Jean Lafitte in _The Buccaneer_.

Dave in Toronto

Madara0806

Nov 2, 2009, 11:07:46 AM11/2/09
On Oct 30, 11:02 pm, forn...@webtv.net (S D) wrote:
> Jack Nicholson seemed the worst actor in the universe in The Terror and
> Little Shop.

A lot of actors got better with seasoning. E.g. Humphrey Bogart,
William Holden, Fred MacMurray, Dick Powell, Robert Mitchum, etc.,
etc., etc.

David Oberman

Nov 2, 2009, 11:55:37 AM11/2/09
Dave in Toronto <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I thought March was excellent in _ A Star is Born_ and although I
>would never have cast him as a swashbuckler there was nothing wrong
>with his performance as Jean Lafitte in _The Buccaneer_.

Fredric March was John Simon's favorite actor of the American studio
years.

____
On the question of playing continuo during a Mozart concerto, I can only
reaffirm my belief that it is perfectly fine as long as it is inaudible.

-- Charles Rosen, "The Classical Style"

David Oberman

Nov 2, 2009, 11:58:09 AM11/2/09
Madara0806 <madar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>A lot of actors got better with seasoning. E.g. Humphrey Bogart,
>William Holden, Fred MacMurray, Dick Powell, Robert Mitchum, etc.,
>etc., etc.

Laurence Olivier, too. The skinny little twit with the Ronald Colman
moustache grew into -- a cosmic Coriolanus, Richard, Lear, Othello,
&c. He wasn't bad on film in his youth, but he sure grew in skill &
stature.

El Klauso

Nov 2, 2009, 12:36:47 PM11/2/09
D in T: I thought March was excellent in _ A Star is Born_ and

although I
would never have cast him as a swashbuckler there was nothing wrong
with his performance as Jean Lafitte in _The Buccaneer_.

EK: Go earlier, and you'll see what I mean...

Clifford Blau

Nov 2, 2009, 8:24:36 PM11/2/09
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 00:02:28 -0400, for...@webtv.net (S D) wrote:

>Jack Nicholson seemed the worst actor in the universe in The Terror and
>Little Shop.

I don't think it is fair to judge his skills by The Terror, shot in
2-3 days with a freshly written script. And he was hilarious in
Little Shop of Horrors.

"Curse you, Don Tickles, Notary Public!"