Movies of 1995 Bracket Game: Braveheart Vs. Apollo 13

Terrence Clay

Jan 28, 2015, 2:41:20 PM1/28/15
http://lebeauleblog.com/2015/01/28/movies-of-1995-bracket-game-braveheart-vs-apollo-13/

Posted by lebeau

We're looking back at the movies from 1995. What was hot twenty years ago? Which movies dominated the awards? And which movies have stood the test of time? In the Movies of 1995 bracket game, we're pitting 16 of the biggest and best-remembered movies of the year against each other. Readers will vote until only one movie reigns supreme.

Yesterday's Wild Card match was closer than I expected. It came down to the wire. But ultimately Friday beat out Empire Records with 56% of the vote. That means Ice Cube and Chris Tucker will face off against Pierce Brosnan and Sean Bean in round two.

Today's match features two highly regarded historical movies. Mel Gibson directed and starred in Braveheart. The story of William Wallace was initially an underdog. It didn't perform well at the box office initially. But it went on to become the 18th highest grossing movie of the year. More importantly, it earned 10 Academy Award nominations and won five including Best Picture and Best Director.

Ron Howard's Apollo 13 was a bigger hit at the box office. In 1995, Tom Hans was America's favorite actor. He had won Best Actor the previous two years in a row. The biggest movie of the year, Toy Story, featured voice work by Hanks. Apollo 13 had to settle for being the third-highest grossing movie of the year behind Toy Story and Batman Forever.

Apollo 13 was nominated for 9 Academy Awards. Hanks practically begged the Academy not to nominated him for Best Actor after two consecutive wins and the Academy was happy to oblige. Despite a Best Picture Nomination, Howard was not nominated for Best Director. Ultimately Apollo 13 had to settle for two minor wins; Best Film Editing and Best Sound.

In the past 20 years, Braveheart has undergone a reevaluation. For years, historians have been griping about the movie's inaccuracies. Even Gibson eventually called the real-life Wallace "a monster". But then Gibson himself was revealed to be somewhat monstrous. After a series of scandals documented in the extremely well-written WTHH to Mel Gibson article, the star and director of Braveheart are no longer as beloved as they once were.

Michael OConnor

Jan 28, 2015, 7:09:49 PM1/28/15
Long historical epics tend to win at the Oscars, although I think Apollo 13 should have been the Ron Howard film to win Best Picture. It took a story we all knew and made it a thriller, and the technical aspects of filming the space scenes via hundreds of flights in the so-called vomit comet plane, was brilliant. While scientists and engineers are often painted as greedy and or evil in movies, this is the one film where they were portrayed as heroes who helped save the day. It's a movie I've probably seen 100 times, and whenever I come across it on TV, I watch it.

madar...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2015, 11:30:08 AM1/29/15
I remember liking both BRAVEHEART and APOLLO 13 back in 1995 and was glad BRAVEHEART won. It did get a lot of crap at the time for the scene where King Patrick McGoohan shows his distaste for his son's gay lover in a decidedly harsh and brutal manner. Years later, I'm in a Chinatown video shop listening to a group of young guys talking about their favorite movies and they all seemed to agree that THE MATRIX and BRAVEHEART were the greatest movies ever made and then, taking note of the old guy browsing the shelves (namely me), they added, "And we gotta give props to old classics like THE GODFATHER and GOODFELLAS."

SLGreg

Jan 29, 2015, 11:48:12 AM1/29/15
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:30:06 -0800 (PST), madar...@gmail.com wrote:

>I remember liking both BRAVEHEART and APOLLO 13 back in 1995 and was glad BRAVEHEART won. It did get a lot of crap at the time for the scene where King Patrick McGoohan shows his distaste for his son's gay lover in a decidedly harsh and brutal manner. Years later, I'm in a Chinatown video shop listening to a group of young guys talking about their favorite movies and they all seemed to agree that THE MATRIX and BRAVEHEART were the greatest movies ever made and then, taking note of the old guy browsing the shelves (namely me), they added, "And we gotta give props to old classics like THE GODFATHER and GOODFELLAS."

Looking at the list, Nicolas Cage's "Leaving Las Vegas" was my most
memorable film of 1995.
--
- greg

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 12:04:13 PM1/29/15
More memorable than SHOWGIRLS and SPECIES?

moviePig

Jan 29, 2015, 1:16:01 PM1/29/15
Sure, though I liked those two infinitely more. For "memorability", LLV
is up there with REQUIEM FOR A DREAM and PASSION OF THE CHRIST...

--

YOUR taste at work...