Is America over Will Ferrell? Dismal debut latest proof actor’s shtick is growing stale

1 view

Taylor

Jun 8, 2009, 12:13:52 AM6/8/09
Is America over Will Ferrell?
‘Land of the Lost’s’ dismal debut latest proof actor’s shtick is
growing stale

EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com

Commentary
By Chris Nashawaty

updated 7:37 p.m. ET, Sun., June 7, 2009
The receipts are in. “Land of the Lost” opened this weekend in a
distant, disappointing third place behind “Up”($44.2 million) and “The
Hangover” ($43.3 million). “Lost” hauled in a mere $19.5 million,
which may not sound like an epic train wreck until you consider that
its budget and marketing costs were reportedly close to $200 million
and it had one of the biggest stars in Hollywood on its poster.

You could say that the warning signs for Will Ferrell first appeared
on Friday, when the nation's critics blew raspberries and dogpiled on
the comedy. Our own critic, Owen Gleiberman, gave the movie a C,
writing, "the film's only conviction is its investment in its total
lack of conviction." That's gotta sting.

Still, I would argue that Ferrell's box-office fate was sealed long
before the movie even came out. For months, the trailers of the
erstwhile SNL star's riff on the not-very-good-to-begin-with '70s
Saturday morning kiddie TV show have been greeted by mild chuckles at
best. It had the stink of death on it long before this weekend. If you
found yourself laughing at all at the trailer, it was more out of
conditioned response to Ferrell's previous track record than the
actual goods being sold this time around.

Anyone who's honest with themselves has to admit that Ferrell hasn't
been all that funny for a while. Did you see his one-man George W.
Bush show on HBO? Just painful. It was like watching someone shoot
fish in a barrel for an hour and change. “Step Brothers?” “Semi Pro?”
The dude's been coasting for a while now. And the less said about “The
Producers” and “Bewitched,” the better.

Land of the Lost” is just the latest proof that Ferrell's shtick — the
clueless, self-deprecating blowhard man-child — is growing stale. You
can put him in a NASCAR jumpsuit, a basketball uniform, or a quantum
paleontologist's khakis, but he's pretty much always the same guy. You
know that at some point he'll take off his shirt and reveal his flabby
belly, or dump dinosaur urine on his head, and then mug at the camera
as if to say, Ain't it hilarious? Well, yes it was...the first time.

Look, I like Will Ferrell. I think “Anchorman” may be the funniest
movie of the past decade. So I'm saying this out of love: It's time to
change it up, man. Leftovers can be delicious, but sometimes you've
got to dig into the pantry and serve up something fresh and new.

Vote: Is America done with Ferrell?
‘Up’ shakes off ‘Hangover’ at box office
http://www.newsvine.com/_question/2009/06/07/2906208-is-america-done-with-will-ferrell

Syvyn11

Jun 8, 2009, 12:27:22 AM6/8/09

"Taylor" <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Is America over Will Ferrell?
�Land of the Lost�s� dismal debut latest proof actor�s shtick is
growing stale
As someone on Big Hollywood said "as long as he trashes GWB, he'll be a
star."

EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com

Commentary
By Chris Nashawaty

Taylor

Jun 8, 2009, 12:38:04 AM6/8/09
On Jun 8, 12:27 am, "Syvyn11" <robhorine...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Taylor" <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Is America over Will Ferrell?
> ‘Land of the Lost’s’ dismal debut latest proof actor’s shtick is

> growing stale
> As someone on Big Hollywood said "as long as he trashes GWB, he'll be a
> star."

If it were 2008, yes. But that Dick Cheney/George W. Bush cold opening
_only_ a couple weeks ago shows the world GWB is plaaaaaaaaaaaaayed.

All the comments on Hulu to that sketch echo this.

Maybe do a 'Weekend At Bernies' with him as dead as a doornail Bernie
if you have 2 strong leads? Not saying he's strong, but Zac Efron as a
the Jonathan Silverman worry-wart?

> EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>
> Commentary
> By Chris Nashawaty
>
> updated 7:37 p.m. ET, Sun., June 7, 2009

> The receipts are in. “Land of the Lost” opened this weekend in a
> distant, disappointing third place behind “Up”($44.2 million) and “The

> Hangover” ($43.3 million). “Lost” hauled in a mere $19.5 million,

> which may not sound like an epic train wreck until you consider that
> its budget and marketing costs were reportedly close to $200 million
> and it had one of the biggest stars in Hollywood on its poster.
>
> You could say that the warning signs for Will Ferrell first appeared
> on Friday, when the nation's critics blew raspberries and dogpiled on
> the comedy. Our own critic, Owen Gleiberman, gave the movie a C,
> writing, "the film's only conviction is its investment in its total
> lack of conviction." That's gotta sting.
>
> Still, I would argue that Ferrell's box-office fate was sealed long
> before the movie even came out. For months, the trailers of the
> erstwhile SNL star's riff on the not-very-good-to-begin-with '70s
> Saturday morning kiddie TV show have been greeted by mild chuckles at
> best. It had the stink of death on it long before this weekend. If you
> found yourself laughing at all at the trailer, it was more out of
> conditioned response to Ferrell's previous track record than the
> actual goods being sold this time around.
>
> Anyone who's honest with themselves has to admit that Ferrell hasn't
> been all that funny for a while. Did you see his one-man George W.
> Bush show on HBO? Just painful. It was like watching someone shoot

> fish in a barrel for an hour and change. “Step Brothers?” “Semi Pro?”
> The dude's been coasting for a while now. And the less said about “The
> Producers” and “Bewitched,” the better.
>
> Land of the Lost” is just the latest proof that Ferrell's shtick — the
> clueless, self-deprecating blowhard man-child — is growing stale. You

> can put him in a NASCAR jumpsuit, a basketball uniform, or a quantum
> paleontologist's khakis, but he's pretty much always the same guy. You
> know that at some point he'll take off his shirt and reveal his flabby
> belly, or dump dinosaur urine on his head, and then mug at the camera
> as if to say, Ain't it hilarious? Well, yes it was...the first time.
>

> Look, I like Will Ferrell. I think “Anchorman” may be the funniest

> movie of the past decade. So I'm saying this out of love: It's time to
> change it up, man. Leftovers can be delicious, but sometimes you've
> got to dig into the pantry and serve up something fresh and new.
>
> Vote: Is America done with Ferrell?

> ‘Up’ shakes off ‘Hangover’ at box officehttp://www.newsvine.com/_question/2009/06/07/2906208-is-america-done-...

Message has been deleted

globular

Jun 8, 2009, 1:11:00 AM6/8/09
Taylor wrote:
> Is America over Will Ferrell?
> �Land of the Lost�s� dismal debut latest proof actor�s shtick is
> growing stale
>
> EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com

You look at thim and think he might be some kind of new version of Chevy
Chase. But his acting seems to largely involve annoying screaming.
In Bewitched he seemed to base his performance of Darren on the
sequences in the TV series where Darren was highly anxious, but Will
forgot that he had to be made anxious first.

Magnus, Robot Fighter

Jun 8, 2009, 1:32:46 AM6/8/09
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 21:13:52 -0700 (PDT), Taylor
<lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is America over Will Ferrell?
>�Land of the Lost�s� dismal debut latest proof actor�s shtick is
>growing stale
>
>EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>
>Commentary
>By Chris Nashawaty

> the not-very-good-to-begin-with

whatever.

Taylor

Jun 8, 2009, 2:01:22 AM6/8/09
On Jun 8, 1:11 am, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
> Taylor wrote:
> > Is America over Will Ferrell?
> > ‘Land of the Lost’s’ dismal debut latest proof actor’s shtick is

> > growing stale
>
> > EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>
> You look at thim and think he might be some kind of new version of Chevy
> Chase.  But his acting seems to largely involve annoying screaming.
> In Bewitched he seemed to base his performance of Darren on the
> sequences in the TV series where Darren was highly anxious, but Will
> forgot that he had to be made anxious first.

York as Darrin was nervous, but Sargent as Darrin was smartass sneer-y.

Taylor

Jun 8, 2009, 3:30:20 AM6/8/09
On Jun 8, 2:42 am, NewportsRe...@webtv.net (Steve Newport) wrote:
> He was funny on the Tony Awards tonight. But he lost to Liza Minnelli.

Oh, that's good. Did Family Guy's cut-away bother you at all?

Ubiquitous

Jun 8, 2009, 5:46:48 AM6/8/09
lukeb...@gmail.com wrote:

>Is America over Will Ferrell?

I certainly hope it is!

>and it had one of the biggest stars in Hollywood on its poster.

Hardly!

>Anyone who's honest with themselves has to admit that Ferrell hasn't
>been all that funny for a while. Did you see his one-man George W.
>Bush show on HBO? Just painful. It was like watching someone shoot
>fish in a barrel for an hour and change.

The first honest evaluation I have seen.

Michael O'Connor

Jun 8, 2009, 6:45:09 AM6/8/09
On Jun 8, 12:40 am, Ronnie Bateman <OurOwnRonnieBate...@earthlinc.net>
wrote:
> I don't think this is Ferrell's fault. It's the same as "Bewitched" --
> it was just a bad way to retell the story.

I thought the Bewitched movie was terrible; it's only saving grace was
a Steve Carell cameo where he does a pretty decent Paul Lynde
impersonation.

sirb...@hotmail.com

Jun 8, 2009, 7:24:34 AM6/8/09
On 8 jun, 07:11, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
> Taylor wrote:
> > Is America over Will Ferrell?
> > ‘Land of the Lost’s’ dismal debut latest proof actor’s shtick is

> > growing stale
>
> > EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>
> You look at thim and think he might be some kind of new version of Chevy
> Chase.  But his acting seems to largely involve annoying screaming.
> In Bewitched he seemed to base his performance of Darren on the
> sequences in the TV series where Darren was highly anxious, but Will
> forgot that he had to be made anxious first.

im surprised nobody noticed from the start

Retrojunkie

Jun 8, 2009, 8:41:34 AM6/8/09

Is it possible America's just sick and tired of stale remakes?
Nostalgia gets (you should pardon the expression) old after a while.

-----
Living in the past? Visit www.retrojunkie.com

TBerk

Jun 8, 2009, 9:48:23 AM6/8/09
On Jun 7, 10:11 pm, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
> Taylor wrote:
> > Is America over Will Ferrell?
> > ‘Land of the Lost’s’ dismal debut latest proof actor’s shtick is

> > growing stale
>
> > EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>
> You look at thim and think he might be some kind of new version of Chevy
> Chase.

Funny thing is I dislike most Chevy Chase performances, and that goes
for most things SNL; post the actual show.

Let me put it this way, most actors coming off the show _stink_. The
exceptions are exceptional in that they are onesey, twosey for any
given actor, the rest of their body of work, is well, crap.

berk

Sean O'Hara

Jun 8, 2009, 10:15:26 AM6/8/09
In the Year of the Earth Ox, the Great and Powerful Magnus, Robot
Fighter declared:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 21:13:52 -0700 (PDT), Taylor
> <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is America over Will Ferrell?
>> �Land of the Lost�s� dismal debut latest proof actor�s shtick is

>> growing stale
>>
>> EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>>
>> Commentary
>> By Chris Nashawaty
>
>> the not-very-good-to-begin-with
>
> whatever.

That attitude is what ruined the movie -- the execs just saw a
cheesy old show that was ripe for parody. But the original was
written by a number of prominent sci-fi writers who came up with an
interesting mythology. The film should've been done as a slightly
scary children's adventure.

--
Sean O'Hara <http://www.diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com>
New audio book: As Long as You Wish by John O'Keefe

wsth...@bellsouth.net

Jun 8, 2009, 11:13:13 AM6/8/09

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think Ferrell's inclusion was the
deciding factor of a dismal opening weekend.

When I saw the first preview, I was like, "Kick ASS"...right up until
they flashed Will Ferrell on the screen, then it was, "Oh well, screw
that." I went from a Must See to a No Way In Hell in 12 seconds flat.

Quite frankly I was over WIll Ferrell after his first appearance on
SNL. His shtick is old and was only humorous for about 5 seconds.

The ONLY Ferrell movie I could sit through was 'Elf", and that only
because Zooey Deschanel was such a joy to watch.

Yol Bolsun,
Grendel.

"I'm not cynical, just experienced."

Anim8rFSK

Jun 8, 2009, 11:26:35 AM6/8/09
In article <h0imt3$te$1...@news.utelfla.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

Kelly Lee Ripa went on and on about his one man show on Bush being the
most brilliant thing ever put on television.

--
MEGA-SHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS!
A new contender for "worst film of all time"

Derek Janssen

Jun 8, 2009, 11:31:01 AM6/8/09
wsth...@bellsouth.net wrote:

> The ONLY Ferrell movie I could sit through was 'Elf", and that only
> because Zooey Deschanel was such a joy to watch.

"Elf" made money because no power on earth can stop the first
Christmas-themed movie that opens in November.
Execs thought there was a market for Will Ferrell Acting Like an Unaware
Doofus, and he believed his quest to find independence from Lorne
Michaels had finally found its goal.
(Will being one of the first to try and escape to Switzerland out from
under the "Talent Factory" days of mandatory sketch-movies, and now
having to search for his own solo-comic identity, like Dan Aykroyd had
with "Doctor Detroit".)

And then, of course, we have those remote tribes who think the rest of
the world had actually seen or remembered "Anchorman"...They're weird,
but execs seem to believe them. A LOT.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Mac Breck

Jun 8, 2009, 11:34:17 AM6/8/09
TBerk wrote:
> On Jun 7, 10:11 pm, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
>> Taylor wrote:
>>> Is America over Will Ferrell?
>>> 'Land of the Lost's' dismal debut latest proof actor's shtick is
>>> growing stale
>>
>>> EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>>
>> You look at thim and think he might be some kind of new version of
>> Chevy Chase.
>

> Funny thing is I dislike most Chevy Chase performances, and that goes
> for most things SNL; post the actual show.

I like Chevy Chase in SNL, liked him a lot in "National Lampoon's
Christmas Vacation" and "National Lampoon's Vacation," and to a lesser
extent in the rest of the Vacation movies.

> Let me put it this way, most actors coming off the show _stink_. The
> exceptions are exceptional in that they are onesey, twosey for any
> given actor, the rest of their body of work, is well, crap.

Eddie Murphy? He's had a lot of good movies.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------

Mikey

Jun 8, 2009, 3:38:41 PM6/8/09
I haven't wasted any money goingto a Will Ferrel movie in years. I got sick
and tired of his one trick pony after about the second movie he did. His
high school humor is lost on adults. I compare his comedy to that of kids
ROFL at farts in the cafeteria.....

Mikey :)

Message has been deleted

Derek Janssen

Jun 8, 2009, 7:56:11 PM6/8/09
Ronnie Bateman wrote:

>>>I don't think this is Ferrell's fault. It's the same as "Bewitched" --
>>>it was just a bad way to retell the story.
>>
>>I thought the Bewitched movie was terrible; it's only saving grace was
>>a Steve Carell cameo where he does a pretty decent Paul Lynde
>>impersonation.
>
> Yeah, but was it bad because of Ferrell, or bad because of the script? I
> say the latter.

Ferrell in "Bewitched" was as much of a comic-straightman as he was in,
say, "The Producers", ie., a good *supporting-character* doofus in
service of a movie and story that properly belonged to his betters and
higher-billeds.
Which he seems to be able to play, just as soon as we can convince
studios to stop making him the LEAD in them.

> Personally, I thought the film's biggest problem was making Samantha an
> "ingenue," rather than sharper-than-everyone-else like Elizabeth
> Montgomery's Samantha was. That bugged me more than the common complaint
> about the movie-about-the-TV-series-being-remade premise being
> needlessly complex.

See related threads about long-limbo'ed TV projects being abandoned,
blamed for their "failures", and thrown into the resentful "spoof" bin:
In Bewitched's case, the resentment had turned to sour PC pop-culture
sniping about "Why did Samantha want to be a housewife, anyway?"...Enter
the ever-inexplicable Nora Ephron* to volunteer her answer to the
question and finally get the cameras rolling: Sam isn't REALLY a
housewife, she just PLAYS one on TV, in one of those icky, evil,
outdated 60's shows!

And that's how old-TV movies get slapped in the face, if they don't get
greenlit right away and suffer at least fifteen years of
development-neglect.
Like Krofft's idea for a *straight* LotL movie did.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net
----
[* - And I can think of a lot BETTER uses for "Meryl Streep as Julia
Child" than the one Nora felt like giving us this year...She's weird.]

TBerk

Jun 9, 2009, 2:36:25 AM6/9/09
On Jun 8, 8:34 am, "Mac Breck" <macthevor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> TBerk wrote:

> >> You look at thim and think he might be some kind of new version of
> >> Chevy Chase.
>
> > Funny thing is I dislike most Chevy Chase performances, and that goes
> > for most things SNL; post the actual show.
>
> I like Chevy Chase in SNL, liked him a lot in "National Lampoon's
> Christmas Vacation" and "National Lampoon's Vacation," and to a lesser
> extent in the rest of the Vacation movies.
>
> > Let me put it this way, most actors coming off the show _stink_. The
> > exceptions are exceptional in that they are onesey, twosey for any
> > given actor, the rest of their body of work, is well, crap.
>
> Eddie Murphy?  He's had a lot of good movies.
>
> --
> Mac Breck (KoshN)

Well, thats sort of what I mean; they don't ALL stink- most of them
get a good one off no and then, but I can't watch most of CC's work
what so ever. The exception to the rule is his work in 'Caddy Shack'.

And as for Eddie, well when he did 'Boomerang', well that was OK. But
when he's doing a comedic role? bleck.

Less. Leeeeeessssss. Less IS more.

berk

Mac Breck

Jun 9, 2009, 6:52:33 AM6/9/09

Aw, c'mon, Chevy was *great* in Christmas Vacation.

> And as for Eddie, well when he did 'Boomerang', well that was OK. But
> when he's doing a comedic role? bleck.

"Trading Places" :-)

unklbob

Jun 9, 2009, 8:44:51 AM6/9/09

I don't blame the guy for grabbing the payday while its there. People
said the same things about Steve Martin and Jim Carrey when they were
starting out.

madar...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2009, 12:20:15 PM6/9/09
On Jun 8, 7:56 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> >>I thought the Bewitched movie was terrible; it's only saving grace was
> >>a Steve Carell cameo where he does a pretty decent Paul Lynde
> >>impersonation.
>
> > Yeah, but was it bad because of Ferrell, or bad because of the script? I
> > say the latter.
>
> Ferrell in "Bewitched" was as much of a comic-straightman as he was in,
> say, "The Producers", ie., a good *supporting-character* doofus in
> service of a movie and story that properly belonged to his betters and
> higher-billeds.
> Which he seems to be able to play, just as soon as we can convince
> studios to stop making him the LEAD in them.

\>

Exactly. I can take Ferrell in small doses, like his bits in STARSKY
AND HUTCH and THE WEDDING CRASHERS, but I haven't been able to sit
through a starring vehicle of his since OLD SCHOOL (and he wasn't even
the lead in that, simply one of an ensemble cast).

Mac Breck

Jun 9, 2009, 3:56:20 PM6/9/09
madar...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

I was never a big fan of Bewitched (1964) <shrug>, and never even made
it to the Dick Sargent (1969-1972) episodes. To me, the only memorable
bits of the Bewitched (2005) movie were Nicole Kidman as Isabel Bigelow
/ Samantha, Michael Caine as Nigel Bigelow, and to a lesser extent
Shirley MacLaine as Iris Smythson / Endora.

I found Will Ferrell as Jack Wyatt / Darrin, completely forgettable.
Alright, so maybe I *tried* (and succeeded. :D ) to forget him being in
it. Steve Carell as Uncle Arthur was in that? What, for a couple of
seconds? I'll have to watch that one again. Maybe I nodded off.

>>> Yeah, but was it bad because of Ferrell, or bad because of the
>>> script? I say the latter.
>>
>> Ferrell in "Bewitched" was as much of a comic-straightman as he was
>> in, say, "The Producers", ie., a good *supporting-character* doofus
>> in service of a movie and story that properly belonged to his
>> betters and higher-billeds.
>> Which he seems to be able to play, just as soon as we can convince
>> studios to stop making him the LEAD in them.
> \>
>>>
> Exactly. I can take Ferrell in small doses, like his bits in STARSKY
> AND HUTCH and THE WEDDING CRASHERS, but I haven't been able to sit
> through a starring vehicle of his since OLD SCHOOL (and he wasn't even
> the lead in that, simply one of an ensemble cast).

Exactly. Ferrell seems to do better as a supporting character, the less
of him the better. I liked "Elf" *in* *spite* *of* Ferrell, mainly for
Bob Newhart, Zooey Deschanel, James Caan, Mary Steenburgen, and Ed
Asner.

Derek Janssen

Jun 9, 2009, 4:15:03 PM6/9/09
Mac Breck wrote:

> Asner.'

Also in the same way that Kevin Nealon now seems to be much in demand as
a Ferrell-esque uptight-whitebread supporting character actor in other
people's network sitcoms:

Does that mean that we'll STOP kicking over Nealon's tombstone someday
for The Penis Sketch or "News From Ten Feet Away"?--Well, let's not be
unrealistic, here.
But it does mean that a union working actor with an ex-SNL past can
continue to put food on the table unmolested, even if Lorne's dreams of
that "Night at the Roxbury" movie never did find love, a movie career or
solo sitcom.

Derek Janssen (and that's leaving out ex-SNL's who did better at
dramatic charcter roles, like Chris Kataan)
eja...@verizon.net

Anim8rFSK

Jun 9, 2009, 7:36:21 PM6/9/09
In article <o5Wdnf_qGu3oI7PX...@supernews.com>,
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> madar...@gmail.com wrote:

> I was never a big fan of Bewitched (1964) <shrug>, and never even made
> it to the Dick Sargent (1969-1972) episodes. To me, the only memorable
> bits of the Bewitched (2005) movie were Nicole Kidman as Isabel Bigelow

Who plays Samantha as a homicidal bitch

> / Samantha, Michael Caine as Nigel Bigelow, and to a lesser extent
> Shirley MacLaine as Iris Smythson / Endora.

Should have been Dame Edna

> I found Will Ferrell as Jack Wyatt / Darrin, completely forgettable.
> Alright, so maybe I *tried* (and succeeded. :D ) to forget him being in
> it. Steve Carell as Uncle Arthur was in that? What, for a couple of
> seconds? I'll have to watch that one again. Maybe I nodded off.

Carell's actually in a fair bit of it, not that it makes sense. He's in
the green room before Ferret goes out on stage naked for no reason, and
then the two of them take a road trip, and at the end it turns out there
*is* no Uncle Arthur, and Ferret is simply insane (although that makes
no sense because Arthur did or told Ferret stuff that he couldn't have
if Ferret was simply insane).

Mac Breck

Jun 10, 2009, 7:07:31 AM6/10/09
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <o5Wdnf_qGu3oI7PX...@supernews.com>,
> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> madar...@gmail.com wrote:

>> I was never a big fan of Bewitched (1964) <shrug>, and never even
>> made it to the Dick Sargent (1969-1972) episodes. To me, the only
>> memorable bits of the Bewitched (2005) movie were Nicole Kidman as
>> Isabel Bigelow
>
> Who plays Samantha as a homicidal bitch

We must have watched different movies.

<snip>

>> Steve Carell as Uncle Arthur was in that? What, for a
>> couple of seconds? I'll have to watch that one again. Maybe I
>> nodded off.
>
> Carell's actually in a fair bit of it, not that it makes sense. He's
> in the green room before Ferret goes out on stage naked for no
> reason,

Does reason have a place in a typical Ferrell movie?

> and then the two of them take a road trip, and at the end it
> turns out there *is* no Uncle Arthur, and Ferret is simply insane
> (although that makes no sense because Arthur did or told Ferret stuff
> that he couldn't have if Ferret was simply insane).

Alright, I must've nodded off while watching it, and never finished it.
Not surprising given my typical work week. I dug it out and will watch
it again, with your post in mind.

Anim8rFSK

Jun 10, 2009, 1:45:29 PM6/10/09
In article <TLGdncg3G9qDBrLX...@supernews.com>,
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <o5Wdnf_qGu3oI7PX...@supernews.com>,

> >> I was never a big fan of Bewitched (1964) <shrug>, and never even
> >> made it to the Dick Sargent (1969-1972) episodes. To me, the only
> >> memorable bits of the Bewitched (2005) movie were Nicole Kidman as
> >> Isabel Bigelow
> >
> > Who plays Samantha as a homicidal bitch
>
> We must have watched different movies.

You missed the part where she casually murdered Darrin's old girlfriend,
just because she was Darrin's old girlfriend, by twitching her nose and
dropping a huge light array on her head?

And then reran time and for maximum comedic effect they put camcorder
'rewind-play-forward' titles over the footage?

> <snip>
> >> Steve Carell as Uncle Arthur was in that? What, for a
> >> couple of seconds? I'll have to watch that one again. Maybe I
> >> nodded off.
> >
> > Carell's actually in a fair bit of it, not that it makes sense. He's
> > in the green room before Ferret goes out on stage naked for no
> > reason,
>
> Does reason have a place in a typical Ferrell movie?

BEWITCHED is the only Ferret movie I've ever watched, or ever will.

> > and then the two of them take a road trip, and at the end it
> > turns out there *is* no Uncle Arthur, and Ferret is simply insane
> > (although that makes no sense because Arthur did or told Ferret stuff
> > that he couldn't have if Ferret was simply insane).

Alternate theory: It's possible that Ferret isn't insane, if Samantha
is a lying sadistic bitch as well as a murderess, and is just lying to
him about there being no Uncle Arthur.

> Alright, I must've nodded off while watching it, and never finished it.
> Not surprising given my typical work week. I dug it out and will watch
> it again, with your post in mind.

Oh, dear God Mac, NO! It took even me 4 sittings to make it all the way
through. Mom bailed faster on it than she did on (cue the sig)

MFalc1

Jun 10, 2009, 4:18:05 PM6/10/09
On Jun 8, 4:56�pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> ----
> [* - And I can think of a lot BETTER uses for "Meryl Streep as Julia
> Child" than the one Nora felt like giving us this year...She's weird.]

But isn't JULIE AND JULIA more of a vehicle for Amy Adams?

Mark L. Falconer
http://www.poetry-arts-confidential.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/terrymcca

Derek Janssen

Jun 10, 2009, 7:59:23 PM6/10/09
MFalc1 wrote:

> On Jun 8, 4:56�pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>----
>>[* - And I can think of a lot BETTER uses for "Meryl Streep as Julia

>>Child" than the one Nora felt like giving us this year...[Nora Ephron]'s weird.]

> But isn't JULIE AND JULIA more of a vehicle for Amy Adams?

That's the problem--WE DON'T CARE about Amy Adams' generic-chick-flick
"How I turned my messed-up life around" subplot.

Meryl reincarnating the Dame of Boston, however, deserves more
screentime, and a saner screenwriter who knows that.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Mac Breck

Jun 11, 2009, 8:36:40 AM6/11/09

You really should watch Elf. It's good in spite of Ferrell. BobNewhart
as an elf? Ed Asner as Santa Claus? Zooey Deschanel as cute Dept.
Store clerk with a great singing voice (singing in the shower)? :D
James Caan as Ferrell's frustrated father? Hell, Ferrell's even good in
the snowball battle scene.

>>> and then the two of them take a road trip, and at the end it
>>> turns out there *is* no Uncle Arthur, and Ferret is simply insane
>>> (although that makes no sense because Arthur did or told Ferret
>>> stuff that he couldn't have if Ferret was simply insane).
>
> Alternate theory: It's possible that Ferret isn't insane, if Samantha
> is a lying sadistic bitch as well as a murderess, and is just lying to
> him about there being no Uncle Arthur.

What the hell has so set you off about Samantha?

>> Alright, I must've nodded off while watching it, and never finished
>> it. Not surprising given my typical work week. I dug it out and
>> will watch it again, with your post in mind.
>
> Oh, dear God Mac, NO! It took even me 4 sittings to make it all the
> way through. Mom bailed faster on it than she did on (cue the sig)

Bah! I'd rather watch Bewitched (2005) 100 times rather than an episode
of American Idol once.

Derek Janssen

Jun 11, 2009, 10:32:45 AM6/11/09
Mac Breck wrote:

>>BEWITCHED is the only Ferret movie I've ever watched, or ever will.
>
> You really should watch Elf. It's good in spite of Ferrell. BobNewhart
> as an elf? Ed Asner as Santa Claus? Zooey Deschanel as cute Dept.
> Store clerk with a great singing voice (singing in the shower)? :D
> James Caan as Ferrell's frustrated father? Hell, Ferrell's even good in
> the snowball battle scene.

I'm still sticking to his song-and-dance stint in the Broderick/Lane
"The Producers":
Will in a serviceable somebody-else's-role, doing what other hands have
already written for him, and adding his own trademark hamminess only in
whatever small doses are as required by the existing stage-tested
character part...
No Kenneth Mars, perhaps, but a reasonable application of a major tool
for the right minor work job. ;)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Anim8rFSK

Jun 11, 2009, 1:43:30 PM6/11/09
In article <NbudnQ-cIfW2Zq3X...@supernews.com>,
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I tried to watch Elf one day when it was on over and over and over all
day long, mostly 'cause of Bob Newhart. Saw bits of a lot of it in non
linear order. Pretty much gave up whenever there was much Ferrell in a
row.

> > Alternate theory: It's possible that Ferret isn't insane, if Samantha
> > is a lying sadistic bitch as well as a murderess, and is just lying to
> > him about there being no Uncle Arthur.
>
> What the hell has so set you off about Samantha?

Ephron making her a cold blooded casual killer isn't enough? That might
have worked if she was Serina. It left me wondering how many ditzy
shopkeepers and lazy cable TV repairmen and telemarketers she's murdered
over the years, not that that last is a bad thing. I wonder when we'll
finally see a movie where somebody with powers reaches through the phone
lines and makes telemarketers heads explode, or at least gives them
brain cancer?

But it's a legitimate alternate theory. The only evidence we have for
there NOT being an Uncle Arthur is Sam saying so. But it doesn't make
any sense that there isn't an Uncle Arthur; if there isn't, there had to
be somebody magically doing stuff to Ferrell to convince him there was.
I mean, I suppose it's possible that Endora created Uncle Arthur just to
convince Ferrell he was insane or something, but now we're really
spinning out of orbit. I think it's probably just really bad filmmaking
and there isn't really anything deeper going on.

> >> Alright, I must've nodded off while watching it, and never finished
> >> it. Not surprising given my typical work week. I dug it out and
> >> will watch it again, with your post in mind.
> >
> > Oh, dear God Mac, NO! It took even me 4 sittings to make it all the
> > way through. Mom bailed faster on it than she did on (cue the sig)
>
> Bah! I'd rather watch Bewitched (2005) 100 times rather than an episode
> of American Idol once.

Only because you slept through it. I tried to warn you!

berk

Jun 11, 2009, 4:52:12 PM6/11/09
On Jun 11, 7:32 am, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Will in a serviceable somebody-else's-role, doing what other hands have
> already written for him, and adding his own trademark hamminess only in
> whatever small doses are as required by the existing stage-tested
> character part...

This is so true for too many....

I am reminded of the roles (what did I say earlier; Eddie Murphy?)
some have done when you were surprised they could actually satisfy the
audience, but were hampered by a track record of 'too much, too often'
type acting.

I'm getting nostalgic for the Svengali tactics of the Studio System.
<sniff>

berk

Derek Janssen

Jun 11, 2009, 4:56:53 PM6/11/09
berk wrote:

>>Will in a serviceable somebody-else's-role, doing what other hands have
>>already written for him, and adding his own trademark hamminess only in
>>whatever small doses are as required by the existing stage-tested
>>character part...
>
> This is so true for too many....
>
> I am reminded of the roles (what did I say earlier; Eddie Murphy?)
> some have done when you were surprised they could actually satisfy the
> audience, but were hampered by a track record of 'too much, too often'
> type acting.

What, you mean, Eddie Murphy in "Dreamgirls"?--Yeah, pretty much.
Kinda illustrates the above point. :)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

moviePig

Jun 11, 2009, 6:52:57 PM6/11/09

Ferrell is a commodity ...with no associated measure of good or bad.
I.e., there is only himself ...and, as with celery, you either like it
or you don't. (It works in good dips, though ...which is why my
"favorite" entire Ferrell movie is STRANGER THAN FICTION, where,
although he's always on screen, it's always as an object.)

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Mac Breck

Jun 11, 2009, 8:38:42 PM6/11/09
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <NbudnQ-cIfW2Zq3X...@supernews.com>,
> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snipped because I'd have to watch Bewitched (2005) it to be able to
reply, and I haven't gotten to it yet.>

>>> Oh, dear God Mac, NO! It took even me 4 sittings to make it all the
>>> way through. Mom bailed faster on it than she did on (cue the sig)
>>
>> Bah! I'd rather watch Bewitched (2005) 100 times rather than an
>> episode of American Idol once.
>
> Only because you slept through it. I tried to warn you!

Maybe. Wonder if it did any damage while I slept.

Go watch Elf on DVD and FF past Ferrell ( *except* for the snowball
fight. Watch that. It's over quickly.). ;-) You way want to
watch/listen to the Zooey Deschanel scenes a few times, and the Bob
Newhart scenes, and the Ed Asner scenes.

Message has been deleted

Mac Breck

Jun 12, 2009, 1:22:21 AM6/12/09
Dennis M wrote:

> Stranger Than Fiction is pretty good. You can find the DVD pretty
> cheap now.

Netflix. ;-)

trotsky

Jun 12, 2009, 9:34:11 AM6/12/09
moviePig wrote:

>>> You really should watch Elf. It's good in spite of Ferrell. BobNewhart
>>> as an elf? Ed Asner as Santa Claus? Zooey Deschanel as cute Dept.
>>> Store clerk with a great singing voice (singing in the shower)? :D
>>> James Caan as Ferrell's frustrated father? Hell, Ferrell's even good in
>>> the snowball battle scene.
>> I'm still sticking to his song-and-dance stint in the Broderick/Lane
>> "The Producers":
>> Will in a serviceable somebody-else's-role, doing what other hands have
>> already written for him, and adding his own trademark hamminess only in
>> whatever small doses are as required by the existing stage-tested
>> character part...
>> No Kenneth Mars, perhaps, but a reasonable application of a major tool
>> for the right minor work job. ;)
>
> Ferrell is a commodity ...with no associated measure of good or bad.
> I.e., there is only himself ...and, as with celery, you either like it
> or you don't.

The same could be said for the first half dozen or dozen Tom Hanks movies.

moviePig

Jun 12, 2009, 11:21:14 AM6/12/09

Except that his clout has tended to get him big and/or entertaining
movies, I don't stop counting at six. My favorite "Hanks movie" was
probably THAT THING YOU DO! ...

Mac Breck

Jun 12, 2009, 11:33:59 AM6/12/09

My favorite Tom Hanks movies:

Big
Joe vs. The Volcano
Turner & Hooch
The Money Pit

berk

Jun 12, 2009, 2:21:25 PM6/12/09

"Dreamgirls' falls in the 'backfill' category for me, but I'd say,
"yeah- likely".

There are a lot of 'stars' who could benefit from some gentle (or not)
shepherding of the performance and the career. Not sure how thats
going to work in modern times though.

berk

Anim8rFSK

Jun 12, 2009, 2:49:56 PM6/12/09
In article <sIednZLA4aV05K_X...@supernews.com>,
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My favorite Tom Hanks movies:
>
> Big

hated it
> Joe vs. The Volcano
great flick. Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
certainly best Ryan flick.
> Turner & Hooch
never saw it
> The Money Pit
it's okay

Derek Janssen

Jun 12, 2009, 2:57:08 PM6/12/09
Anim8rFSK wrote:

> In article <sIednZLA4aV05K_X...@supernews.com>,
> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>My favorite Tom Hanks movies:
>>
>>Big
>
> hated it
>
>>Joe vs. The Volcano
>
> great flick. Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
> certainly best Ryan flick.
>
>>Turner & Hooch
>
> never saw it
>
>>The Money Pit
>
> it's okay

(Well, there you go, trotsky, thread's off on its own lil' non-sequitir
track and chug-chugging along, happy now??)

Derek Janssen (who could remind the rest of the thread WHY everyone
seems to be talking about Tom Hanks now and doesn't know why, but I'll
let them figure it out)
eja...@verizon.net

moviePig

Jun 12, 2009, 5:06:29 PM6/12/09
On Jun 12, 2:57 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> Anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <sIednZLA4aV05K_XnZ2dnUVZ_vKdn...@supernews.com>,

> >  "Mac Breck" <macthevor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >>My favorite Tom Hanks movies:
>
> >>Big
>
> >    hated it
>
> >>Joe vs. The Volcano
>
> >    great flick.  Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
> > certainly best Ryan flick.
>
> >>Turner & Hooch
>
> >    never saw it
>
> >>The Money Pit
>
> >    it's okay
>
> (Well, there you go, trotsky, thread's off on its own lil' non-sequitir
> track and chug-chugging along, happy now??)
>
> (who could remind the rest of the thread WHY everyone
> seems to be talking about Tom Hanks now and doesn't know why, but I'll
> let them figure it out)

It's an aside.

Either you're unexpectedly concerned for future historians who might
explore this thread seeking Ferrell insights, or you're being a tad
anal... (unless you think that 40-plus responses really *isn't* enough
to plumb Ferrell's fading fandom...)

Ubiquitous

Jun 12, 2009, 6:28:18 PM6/12/09
ANIM...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> lukeb...@gmail.com wrote:

>> >Anyone who's honest with themselves has to admit that Ferrell hasn't
>> >been all that funny for a while. Did you see his one-man George W.
>> >Bush show on HBO? Just painful. It was like watching someone shoot
>> >fish in a barrel for an hour and change.
>>
>> The first honest evaluation I have seen.
>
>Kelly Lee Ripa went on and on about his one man show on Bush being the
>most brilliant thing ever put on television.

I did not realize she was a Hollywood leftist until now.

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

trotsky

Jun 12, 2009, 10:13:54 PM6/12/09

Or "That Thing I Didn't Bother to See" as was the case in my case.

trotsky

Jun 12, 2009, 10:17:01 PM6/12/09
Derek Janssen wrote:
> Anim8rFSK wrote:
>
>> In article <sIednZLA4aV05K_X...@supernews.com>,
>> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My favorite Tom Hanks movies:
>>>
>>> Big
>>
>> hated it
>>
>>> Joe vs. The Volcano
>>
>> great flick. Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
>> certainly best Ryan flick.
>>
>>> Turner & Hooch
>>
>> never saw it
>>
>>> The Money Pit
>>
>> it's okay
>
> (Well, there you go, trotsky, thread's off on its own lil' non-sequitir
> track and chug-chugging along, happy now??)

Dickhead, if you don't think there's a basis for comparison between
Hanks' career path and Ferrell's then you're more of a dickhead than
even I realized. Any questions, you fucking loon? I get some people to
discuss films and you get your panties in a bunch over it? You want to
call Obama a nigger too, just to show how much of a piece of crap you
are as well?

F.O.A.D.

trotsky

Jun 12, 2009, 10:20:16 PM6/12/09
moviePig wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2:57 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>> Anim8rFSK wrote:
>>> hated it
>>> great flick. Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
>>> certainly best Ryan flick.
>>> never saw it
>>> it's okay
>> (Well, there you go, trotsky, thread's off on its own lil' non-sequitir
>> track and chug-chugging along, happy now??)
>>
>> (who could remind the rest of the thread WHY everyone
>> seems to be talking about Tom Hanks now and doesn't know why, but I'll
>> let them figure it out)
>
> It's an aside.
>
> Either you're unexpectedly concerned for future historians who might
> explore this thread seeking Ferrell insights, or you're being a tad
> anal...

Understatement of the millenium.

Mac Breck

Jun 13, 2009, 12:03:35 AM6/13/09
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <sIednZLA4aV05K_X...@supernews.com>,
> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> My favorite Tom Hanks movies:
>>
>> Big
> hated it

What?!?! How could anybody not like Big? It's also my favorite
Elizabeth Perkins movie.

>> Joe vs. The Volcano
> great flick. Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
> certainly best Ryan flick.

I liked her in D.O.A., The Presidio and When Harry Met Sally as well.

>> Turner & Hooch
> never saw it

Well, you can rectify that. ;-)

>> The Money Pit
> it's okay

Remember the turkey that exploded out of the oven? "Well, the turkey's
done."

Anim8rFSK

Jun 13, 2009, 12:16:31 AM6/13/09
In article <h0ukpo$2q2$2...@news.utelfla.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> ANIM...@cox.net wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> >> The first honest evaluation I have seen.
> >
> >Kelly Lee Ripa went on and on about his one man show on Bush being the
> >most brilliant thing ever put on television.
>
> I did not realize she was a Hollywood leftist until now.

I'm not sure she is. What I *am* sure of is, she's galactically stupid.

She tells 'true' stories about her kids that are obvious lies, stuff
that's been on T-shirts and bad cartoon panels for decades.

The best moment on the show was when some guest host - Clay Aiken maybe?
- just finally put his hand over her big shrill mouth to shut her up
long enough to let the guest make their point, and she had a total
meltdown.

Anim8rFSK

Jun 13, 2009, 1:57:40 AM6/13/09
In article <wY2dnS2f8OPiuK7X...@supernews.com>,
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <sIednZLA4aV05K_X...@supernews.com>,
> > "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> My favorite Tom Hanks movies:
> >>
> >> Big
> > hated it
>
> What?!?! How could anybody not like Big? It's also my favorite
> Elizabeth Perkins movie.

LOL, name 3 other EP movies? 2? Okay, I had to look to come up with
even 1; I like The Flintstones better than Big, despite the incredible
miscasting of a fat ugly Betty.

My big (har!) problem with 'Big' was that the kid was a teenager, but
they played him like an 8 year old. This was a guy old enough to be in
high school; boys that age might freak at the thought of an overnighter
with EP, certainly they'd salivate, but be oblivious? I think not.
Casting a first grader as young Josh would have helped a lot.

And wasn't this the movie where he invented the electronic comic book,
and nobody noticed that the technology still wouldn't actually exist 20
years later?

I liked Hanks and Loggia, but then I always do. The movie, not so much.

> >> Joe vs. The Volcano
> > great flick. Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
> > certainly best Ryan flick.
>
> I liked her in D.O.A., The Presidio and When Harry Met Sally as well.

Agreed, I just think she's *way* better in JvtV. Of course, she has 3
roles to play too.

Mac Breck

Jun 13, 2009, 3:03:27 AM6/13/09
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <wY2dnS2f8OPiuK7X...@supernews.com>,
> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Anim8rFSK wrote:

>>> hated it
>>
>> What?!?! How could anybody not like Big? It's also my favorite
>> Elizabeth Perkins movie.
>
> LOL, name 3 other EP movies? 2? Okay, I had to look to come up with
> even 1; I like The Flintstones better than Big, despite the incredible
> miscasting of a fat ugly Betty.

"He Said, She Said" (with Kevin Bacon)

> My big (har!) problem with 'Big' was that the kid was a teenager, but
> they played him like an 8 year old.

He *was* an 8 year old kid (~4th Grader), in a teenage body.

> This was a guy old enough to be
> in high school; boys that age might freak at the thought of an
> overnighter with EP, certainly they'd salivate, but be oblivious?

That was the thing, he looked older than he was. That was what so
confused Elizabeth Perkins when he took the top bunk and left the bottom
bunk for her.

I kept thinking that lucky son-of-a-....

> think not. Casting a first grader as young Josh would have helped a
> lot.

A 5 year old? No, too young.

> And wasn't this the movie where he invented the electronic comic book,
> and nobody noticed that the technology still wouldn't actually exist
> 20 years later?

Dunno, I wasn't paying much attention to those kinds of details.

> I liked Hanks and Loggia, but then I always do. The movie, not so
> much.

The dancing on the keyboard? Yeah, that was a nice scene.

>>> great flick. Best Hanks/Ryan flick, possibly best Hanks flick,
>>> certainly best Ryan flick.
>>
>> I liked her in D.O.A., The Presidio and When Harry Met Sally as well.
>
> Agreed, I just think she's *way* better in JvtV. Of course, she has 3
> roles to play too.

Yes, three times the Meg Ryan goodness, blonde, brunette and redhead. ;)

Anim8rFSK

Jun 13, 2009, 9:40:56 AM6/13/09
In article <icOdndzb65HO0q7X...@supernews.com>,
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <wY2dnS2f8OPiuK7X...@supernews.com>,

> >> What?!?! How could anybody not like Big? It's also my favorite
> >> Elizabeth Perkins movie.
> >
> > LOL, name 3 other EP movies? 2? Okay, I had to look to come up with
> > even 1; I like The Flintstones better than Big, despite the incredible
> > miscasting of a fat ugly Betty.
>
> "He Said, She Said" (with Kevin Bacon)

Never saw it; heard it was awful.

> > My big (har!) problem with 'Big' was that the kid was a teenager, but
> > they played him like an 8 year old.
>
> He *was* an 8 year old kid (~4th Grader), in a teenage body.

Bad filmmaking to cast a 14 year old who looks 14 as an 8 year old.

Yep!

Mac Breck

Jun 13, 2009, 5:40:43 PM6/13/09
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <NbudnQ-cIfW2Zq3X...@supernews.com>,
> "Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Anim8rFSK wrote:

You've gone off the deep end. See below. You're remembering wrong.

Turns out, I remembered some scenes very well and others not at all. I
_definitely_ fell asleep when watching this one the first time. Not the
movie's fault, because at the end of an exhausting day, I often put a
movie or TV show on to fall asleep to, something comfortable and/or
something I own that I've watched many, many times and know all of the
lines and scenes by heart that I can follow with my eyes closed.

>>> You missed the part where she casually murdered Darrin's old
>>> girlfriend,

No, _not_ Darrin's old girlfriend, *Jack* *Wyatt's* *cheating* ,
*gold-digging* *wife* *Sheila* , who left him and was trying to come
back now that she'd heard that "Bewitched" got picked up. Samantha
_rewound_ dropping the light on her (reversed it), and then compelled
Sheila to sign the divorce papers, move out of Jack's house that
afternoon and move to Iceland.

Isabelle also blew Sheila's hair extensions off with the big fan. Bad
hair day, Sheila! Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out! LOL!

>>> just because she was Darrin's old girlfriend, by
>>> twitching her nose and dropping a huge light array on her head?

You're remembering it wrong and are going off on the movie for an
imaginary reason. *I* *just* *watched* *it*.

>>> And then reran time and for maximum comedic effect they put
>>> camcorder 'rewind-play-forward' titles over the footage?

Wrong. Not reran, she didn't make it happen again. She *REWOUND* it,
as in it was *UNDONE* , and Sheila was alive and well, divorcing Jack
(the actor), not Darrin (the character), and was leaving and moving to
Iceland. Jack wanted the divorce. He was HAPPY about it.

Just to mess with Jack, just for a laugh. That would fit with Iris
being behind the appearance of Uncle Arthur. Iris would want to mess
with Jack.

>>> BEWITCHED is the only Ferret movie I've ever watched, or ever will.
>>
>> You really should watch Elf. It's good in spite of Ferrell.
>> BobNewhart as an elf? Ed Asner as Santa Claus? Zooey Deschanel as
>> cute Dept. Store clerk with a great singing voice (singing in the
>> shower)? :D James Caan as Ferrell's frustrated father? Hell,
>> Ferrell's even good in the snowball battle scene.
>
> I tried to watch Elf one day when it was on over and over and over all
> day long, mostly 'cause of Bob Newhart. Saw bits of a lot of it in
> non linear order. Pretty much gave up whenever there was much
> Ferrell in a row.

You should try again. ;-) Zooey alone is worth it.

Don't be too sure about that. I think there might have been a real
Uncle Arthur just like there was an Aunt Clara, and that he was messing
with Jack for a laugh, and trying to get Jack and Isabel back together.
If there was no Uncle Arthur, how did he drive Jack's car to the lot?
Of course it could be that either Nigel (Isabelle's father) or Iris
Smythson (a real witch playing Endora) caused the character of Uncle
Arthur to manifest and lead Jack Wyatt to Isabel before she left.

See above.

>>> Alternate theory: It's possible that Ferret isn't insane, if
>>> Samantha is a lying sadistic bitch as well as a murderess, and is
>>> just lying to him about there being no Uncle Arthur.

Now, you've really gone round the bend.

>> What the hell has so set you off about Samantha?
>
> Ephron making her a cold blooded casual killer isn't enough? That
> might have worked if she was Serina. It left me wondering how many
> ditzy shopkeepers and lazy cable TV repairmen and telemarketers she's
> murdered over the years, not that that last is a bad thing. I wonder
> when we'll finally see a movie where somebody with powers reaches
> through the phone lines and makes telemarketers heads explode, or at
> least gives them brain cancer?

Go watch it again. Your recollection is messed up. It really is.

> But it's a legitimate alternate theory. The only evidence we have for
> there NOT being an Uncle Arthur is Sam saying so.

No, *Isabel* doesn't say so. *Uncle* *Arthur* says that he, Uncle
Arthur, isn't real. Uncle Arthur also tells Jack that Iris is a witch
(the truth, BTW.). When Uncle Arthur buzzes off, both Jack and Isabel
watch the streak across the sky. Of course, it could also be that
Isabel just looks where Jack's looking. Isabel never confirms *or*
*denies* the existence of Uncle Arthur.

> But it doesn't make
> any sense that there isn't an Uncle Arthur; if there isn't, there had
> to be somebody magically doing stuff to Ferrell to convince him there
> was.

Iris Smythson or Nigel Bigelow. Aunt Clara's supposedly vamoosed to
Japan after overdoing the hex on Jack, so it's ~unlikely~ to be her,
though I won't rule it out.

> I mean, I suppose it's possible that Endora created Uncle Arthur
> just to convince Ferrell he was insane or something, but now we're
> really spinning out of orbit. I think it's probably just really bad
> filmmaking and there isn't really anything deeper going on.

>>> Oh, dear God Mac, NO! It took even me 4 sittings to make it all the
>>> way through. Mom bailed faster on it than she did on (cue the sig)
>>
>> Bah! I'd rather watch Bewitched (2005) 100 times rather than an
>> episode of American Idol once.
>
> Only because you slept through it. I tried to warn you!

I watched it straight through, just now, and in fact watched a few
scenes over and over again (e.g. the rout of Sheila scene, and the Uncle
Arthur scenes). Somehow, you've taken a light-hearted romantic comedy
and turned it into a horror movie.

Blue

Jun 14, 2009, 12:35:16 AM6/14/09
On Jun 8, 12:13 am, Taylor <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is America over Will Ferrell?
> ‘Land of the Lost’s’ dismal debut latest proof actor’s shtick is
> growing stale
>
> EW.com | MetromediaSquare.com
>
> Commentary
> By Chris Nashawaty
>
> updated 7:37 p.m. ET, Sun., June 7, 2009
> The receipts are in. “Land of the Lost” opened this weekend in a
> distant, disappointing third place behind “Up”($44.2 million) and “The
> Hangover” ($43.3 million). “Lost” hauled in a mere $19.5 million,
> which may not sound like an epic train wreck until you consider that
> its budget and marketing costs were reportedly close to $200 million
> and it had one of the biggest stars in Hollywood on its poster.
>
> You could say that the warning signs for Will Ferrell first appeared
> on Friday, when the nation's critics blew raspberries and dogpiled on
> the comedy. Our own critic, Owen Gleiberman, gave the movie a C,
> writing, "the film's only conviction is its investment in its total
> lack of conviction." That's gotta sting.
>
> Still, I would argue that Ferrell's box-office fate was sealed long
> before the movie even came out. For months, the trailers of the
> erstwhile SNL star's riff on the not-very-good-to-begin-with '70s
> Saturday morning kiddie TV show have been greeted by mild chuckles at
> best. It had the stink of death on it long before this weekend. If you
> found yourself laughing at all at the trailer, it was more out of
> conditioned response to Ferrell's previous track record than the
> actual goods being sold this time around.

> Anyone who's honest with themselves has to admit that Ferrell hasn't
> been all that funny for a while. Did you see his one-man George W.
> Bush show on HBO? Just painful. It was like watching someone shoot
> fish in a barrel for an hour and change. “Step Brothers?” “Semi Pro?”
> The dude's been coasting for a while now. And the less said about “The
> Producers” and “Bewitched,” the better.
>
> Land of the Lost” is just the latest proof that Ferrell's shtick — the
> clueless, self-deprecating blowhard man-child — is growing stale. You
> can put him in a NASCAR jumpsuit, a basketball uniform, or a quantum
> paleontologist's khakis, but he's pretty much always the same guy. You
> know that at some point he'll take off his shirt and reveal his flabby
> belly, or dump dinosaur urine on his head, and then mug at the camera
> as if to say, Ain't it hilarious? Well, yes it was...the first time.
>
> Look, I like Will Ferrell. I think “Anchorman” may be the funniest
> movie of the past decade. So I'm saying this out of love: It's time to
> change it up, man. Leftovers can be delicious, but sometimes you've
> got to dig into the pantry and serve up something fresh and new.
>
> Vote: Is America done with Ferrell?
> ‘Up’ shakes off ‘Hangover’ at box officehttp://www.newsvine.com/_question/2009/06/07/2906208-is-america-done-...

Whatever, how 'bout that Martin feller tryin to be as funny as the
great Peter Sellers, post that, how 'bout it.

berk

Jun 14, 2009, 1:23:01 AM6/14/09
On Jun 13, 9:35 pm, Blue <bluescr...@windstream.net> wrote:

>    Whatever, how 'bout that Martin feller tryin to be as funny as the
> great Peter Sellers, post that, how 'bout it.

Martin, Steve or Martin Lawrence?

Rhetorical as your post maybe I like Steve martin, most of the time.
He's like Eddie Murphy in that respect; when they aren't yuck'n it up
non-stop they can turn out a decent product.

Hell, Martin Lawrence, who I find irritating when at full throttle
benefits from this too.

berk

Mac Breck

Jun 14, 2009, 8:28:09 AM6/14/09
berk wrote:
> On Jun 13, 9:35 pm, Blue <bluescr...@windstream.net> wrote:
>
>> Whatever, how 'bout that Martin feller tryin to be as funny as the
>> great Peter Sellers, post that, how 'bout it.
>

> Martin, Steve or Martin Lawrence?
>
> Rhetorical as your post maybe I like Steve martin, most of the time.
> He's like Eddie Murphy in that respect; when they aren't yuck'n it up
> non-stop they can turn out a decent product.

Ever see "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" ? Loved that one. It's my
favorite Steve Martin movie. Also thought he was good in The Pink
Panther remake, but Jean Reno helped that one a lot.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------

"Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" (1982)
Rigby Reardon: [narrating] Was she real? There was only one way to find
out. But I remember Marlowe's words.
Rigby Reardon: What the hell does Marlowe know?
Rigby Reardon: [narrating] She was real alright.
Juliet Forrest: What are you doing?
Rigby Reardon: Adjusting your breasts. You fainted and they... shifted
all outta whack. There.
Juliet Forrest: Thank you.
Rigby Reardon: You're Welcome.

David Oberman

Jun 14, 2009, 3:43:00 PM6/14/09
Taylor <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is America over Will Ferrell?

I was "over" that unfunny creep the minute I saw him first on TV.

David Oberman

Jun 14, 2009, 3:43:53 PM6/14/09
Taylor <lukeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>York as Darrin was nervous, but Sargent as Darrin was smartass sneer-y.

I attributed those two styles to their respective sexuality.

Derek Janssen

Jun 14, 2009, 3:57:13 PM6/14/09
David Oberman wrote:

Nick TVLand offered the following spotter's guide for the easily confused:

York = If Samantha had married Dagwood
Sargent = If Samantha had married Col. Hogan

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Ubiquitous

Jun 15, 2009, 5:18:26 AM6/15/09
ANIM...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> ANIM...@cox.net wrote:

>> >Kelly Lee Ripa went on and on about his one man show on Bush being the
>> >most brilliant thing ever put on television.
>>
>> I did not realize she was a Hollywood leftist until now.
>
>I'm not sure she is. What I *am* sure of is, she's galactically stupid.

Is there a difference?

>She tells 'true' stories about her kids that are obvious lies, stuff
>that's been on T-shirts and bad cartoon panels for decades.
>
>The best moment on the show was when some guest host - Clay Aiken maybe?
>- just finally put his hand over her big shrill mouth to shut her up
>long enough to let the guest make their point, and she had a total
>meltdown.

I have never watched that show, but I did see a clip Clay (or maybe it was
Regis) putting his hand over her mouth . Uh-oh!

--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the Democrats did
to America.

treadleson

Jun 15, 2009, 2:57:33 PM6/15/09
On Jun 8, 12:13 am, Taylor <lukebenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is America over Will Ferrell?

> Anyone who's honest with themselves has to admit that Ferrell hasn't
> been all that funny for a while. Did you see his one-man George W.
> Bush show on HBO? Just painful.

How anybody EVER found him funny has been beyond me since his
incredibly unfunny SNL days.

> It was like watching someone shoot

Anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2009, 4:08:48 PM6/15/09
In article <mIWdnQBV-NN0H6vX...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> >The best moment on the show was when some guest host - Clay Aiken maybe?
> >- just finally put his hand over her big shrill mouth to shut her up
> >long enough to let the guest make their point, and she had a total
> >meltdown.
>
> I have never watched that show, but I did see a clip Clay (or maybe it was
> Regis) putting his hand over her mouth . Uh-oh!

I bet he never hosts again. :)

berk

Jun 15, 2009, 8:42:38 PM6/15/09
On Jun 14, 5:28 am, "Mac Breck" <macthevor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> berk wrote:
> > On Jun 13, 9:35 pm, Blue <bluescr...@windstream.net> wrote:
>
> >> Whatever, how 'bout that Martin feller tryin to be as funny as the
> >> great Peter Sellers, post that, how 'bout it.
>
> > Martin, Steve or Martin Lawrence?
>
> > Rhetorical as your post maybe I like Steve martin, most of the time.
> > He's like Eddie Murphy in that respect; when they aren't yuck'n it up
> > non-stop they can turn out a decent product.
>
> Ever see "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" ?  Loved that one.  It's my
> favorite Steve Martin movie.  Also thought he was good in The Pink
> Panther remake, but Jean Reno helped that one a lot.

I don't care for any of the whole Pink Panther franchise (but I do
really, really like 'After the Fox'.) As for Steve Martin, my
favorite is 'Roxanne'; which illustrates my concept that (at least for
_me_) I like my comedians when they throttle back.

I suppose Will Ferrel could benefit from this.

berk

Anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2009, 9:37:12 PM6/15/09
In article
<22ace186-217b-4400...@d7g2000prl.googlegroups.com>,
berk <bayar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 5:28�am, "Mac Breck" <macthevor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > berk wrote:

> > > Martin, Steve or Martin Lawrence?
> >
> > > Rhetorical as your post maybe I like Steve martin, most of the time.
> > > He's like Eddie Murphy in that respect; when they aren't yuck'n it up
> > > non-stop they can turn out a decent product.
> >
> > Ever see "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" ? �Loved that one. �It's my
> > favorite Steve Martin movie. �Also thought he was good in The Pink
> > Panther remake, but Jean Reno helped that one a lot.
> >

> I don't care for any of the whole Pink Panther franchise (but I do
> really, really like 'After the Fox'.) As for Steve Martin, my
> favorite is 'Roxanne'; which illustrates my concept that (at least for

> me ) I like my comedians when they throttle back.

Hmm. Absent Minded waiter is my favorite, followed by Roxanne, followed
by The Man With Two Brains. Roxanne is the only one where he throttles
back, so I'm thinking it's more the overall material.

> I suppose Will Ferrel could benefit from this.

Being throttled? Absolutely.

sirblob2

Jun 17, 2009, 6:02:35 PM6/17/09
i finally found the complete ferrell movie: land of the lost
complete in that i finally discovered what pure farrell is like. next
to confessions of a shopaholic, worst pic of the year. someone just
has to do some kind of trailer with the fucktard making a joke, over
and over again, about dinosaurs' brains the size of a nut. he ruined
step brothers for me, semi pro had a couple redeeming features and
yeah, anyone else would have done night at the roxbury better than
him, so now he can sets his hopes on something like eddie murphy's
last 25 years of filmmaking...