Re: Male *and* female moviegoers mostly like shit

Obveeus

Dec 13, 2011, 8:52:50 AM12/13/11

"Stephen Newport" <Newpor...@webtv.net> wrote:

> THE MOST ANTICIPATED BLOCKBUSTER IN 2012:

added rec.arts.movies.current-films.

> According to Men:
> 1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros)
> 2. The Avengers (Marvel/Disney)
> 3. The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros)
> 4. The Bourne Legacy (Universal)
> 5. Men in Black III (Sony)
>
> According to Women:
> 1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2 (Summit)
> 2. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
> 3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros)
> 4. Dark Shadows (Warner Bros)
> 5. The Avengers (Marvel/Disney)

Of all the above movies, The Hobbit is the only one that I am looking
forward too. The Hunger games would be next on the list, though it likely
'skews young'.

> THE MOST ANTICIPATED REMAKE IN 2012:
> According to Men:
> 1. Total Recall (Sony)
> 2. The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony)
> 3. The Great Gatsby (Warner Bros)
> 4. Snow White And The Huntsman (Universal)
> 5. Mirror Mirror (Relativity)
>
> According to Women:
> 1. Snow White And The Huntsman (Universal)
> 2. The Great Gatsby (Warner Bros)
> 3. Mirror Mirror (Relativity)
> 4. Total Recall (Sony)
> 5. The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony)

None of these are inspiring me at the moment.

nick

Dec 13, 2011, 9:06:15 AM12/13/11
On Dec 13, 8:52 am, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
Well, yeah, I guess you'd consider the new Great Gatsby and Snow White
films "remakes". None of these are inspiring me at the moment either,
but if I lived near some magic sneak peak multiplex, I'd go check out
Hunger Games, Dark Shadows and The Great Gatsby, and if I have three
hours free at the end, The Hobbit. I didn't even know there was a Men
in Black III until I saw a banner ad for it last night.

moviePig

Dec 13, 2011, 9:30:04 AM12/13/11
On Dec 13, 8:52 am, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
Not to bring quiche-eating into it, but some of these are making me
question the definitions of "men" and "women"...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Mason Barge

Dec 13, 2011, 10:13:18 AM12/13/11
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 06:06:15 -0800 (PST), nick <nickmacp...@AOL.com>
wrote:
I don't get them remaking Gatsby. It's impossible to put on film. The
past tries have totally sucked and this one will, once again, totally
suck.

If they just want to pour money down the toilet, why don't they remake
"Bonfire of the Vanities"?

Mason Barge

Dec 13, 2011, 10:16:13 AM12/13/11
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:52:50 -0500, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"Stephen Newport" <Newpor...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> THE MOST ANTICIPATED BLOCKBUSTER IN 2012:
>
>added rec.arts.movies.current-films.
>
>> According to Men:
>> 1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros)
>> 2. The Avengers (Marvel/Disney)
>> 3. The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros)
>> 4. The Bourne Legacy (Universal)
>> 5. Men in Black III (Sony)
>>
>> According to Women:
>> 1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2 (Summit)
>> 2. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
>> 3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros)
>> 4. Dark Shadows (Warner Bros)
>> 5. The Avengers (Marvel/Disney)
>
>Of all the above movies, The Hobbit is the only one that I am looking
>forward too. The Hunger games would be next on the list, though it likely
>'skews young'.

I don't see how it can skew young past a certain point. It's way too dark
and violent. Children dying violently -- well, maybe teenagers will find
that easier to handle than adults, LOL.

Mr. Hole the Magnificent

Dec 13, 2011, 11:56:01 AM12/13/11
On Dec 13, 9:06 am, nick <nickmacpherso...@AOL.com> wrote:

> hours free at the end, The Hobbit.  I didn't even know there was a Men
> in Black III until I saw a banner ad for it last night.

How did you miss the Will Smith controversy over his massive trailer
in NYC that was bigger that a block and had to be moved?

Mason Barge

Dec 13, 2011, 3:10:42 PM12/13/11
When they advertise trailers for movie sets, the three most vital stats
are headroom, legroom, and egoroom.

Obveeus

Dec 13, 2011, 3:13:40 PM12/13/11
It may be 'dark and violent', but it is a kid's book series and it will be
targeted at those readers for its opening weekend numbers.

Obveeus

Dec 13, 2011, 3:14:26 PM12/13/11

"Mr. Hole the Magnificent" <classic...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's only a problem if he is parked on your street. The rest of America
doesn't even notice.

Obveeus

Dec 13, 2011, 3:16:34 PM12/13/11

"moviePig" <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>On Dec 13, 8:52 am, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
>> "Stephen Newport" <NewportsRe...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> > THE MOST ANTICIPATED REMAKE IN 2012:
>> > According to Women:
>> > 1. Snow White And The Huntsman (Universal)
>> > 2. The Great Gatsby (Warner Bros)
>> > 3. Mirror Mirror (Relativity)
>> > 4. Total Recall (Sony)
>> > 5. The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony)
>>
>> None of these are inspiring me at the moment.
>
>Not to bring quiche-eating into it, but some of these are making me
>question the definitions of "men" and "women"...

At the heart of it, 'Total Recall' is a love story about a guy trying to
remember his wife. Besides, it also had that three breasted woman and women
always dream of more breast mass themselves so they can identify with the
character, right?

nick

Dec 13, 2011, 3:17:21 PM12/13/11
On Dec 13, 11:56 am, "Mr. Hole the Magnificent"
I was distracted by those articles about how Smith's starring role in
the Tarantino western would be his first big screen appearance since
whatever it was he did most recently, I Am Legend or that one where
he's dying. I don't much keep up on Will Smith.

nick

Dec 13, 2011, 3:21:02 PM12/13/11
On Dec 13, 3:13 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Mason Barge" <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:52:50 -0500, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
> >>Of all the above movies, The Hobbit is the only one that I am looking
> >>forward too.  The Hunger games would be next on the list, though it likely
> >>'skews young'.
>
> > I don't see how it can skew young past a certain point.  It's way too dark
> > and violent.  Children dying violently -- well, maybe teenagers will find
> > that easier to handle than adults, LOL.
>
> It may be 'dark and violent', but it is a kid's book series and it will be
> targeted at those readers for its opening weekend numbers.

Tbe book has mass teenage death, gore and violence and some teenage
nudity. I know the finished movie will be a safe PG-13 but that book,
if filmed faithfully, would be an R so I wonder if the studio will
dare to attempt an "uncut" DVD version. The material is way beyond
the chaste sullenness of the Twilight franchise.

moviePig

Dec 13, 2011, 3:36:51 PM12/13/11
On Dec 13, 11:56 am, "Mr. Hole the Magnificent"
<classic.mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
I never watch trailers...

Obveeus

Dec 13, 2011, 3:42:27 PM12/13/11

"moviePig" <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:
>On Dec 13, 11:56 am, "Mr. Hole the Magnificent"
><classic.mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 13, 9:06 am, nick <nickmacpherso...@AOL.com> wrote:
>>
>> > hours free at the end, The Hobbit. I didn't even know there was a Men
>> > in Black III until I saw a banner ad for it last night.
>>
>> How did you miss the Will Smith controversy over his massive trailer
>> in NYC that was bigger that a block and had to be moved?
>
>I never watch trailers...

This trailer didn't even have a spoiler.

webman6

Dec 13, 2011, 5:18:46 PM12/13/11

"Mason Barge" <mason...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Wow! Right on the 'ole money!

Arthur Lipscomb

Dec 14, 2011, 12:39:04 AM12/14/11
There is a *real* trailer for MIB III...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2656345625/

I have no complaints based on the teaser. And Josh Brolin's brief
snippet is very promising.

And for whoever was asking about The Avengers, there's a trailer for
that too...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3488652825/

Mason Barge

Dec 14, 2011, 4:26:34 PM12/14/11
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:21:02 -0800 (PST), nick <nickmacp...@AOL.com>
wrote:
I'd be surprised at any nudity that showed naughty bits, at least among
the kids. I think a lot of the actors will be under 18 and they try to
avoid it even if the actor is older, playing an underage character.

Not that they "have" to. They can do it legally if the nudity isn't
erotic. But I thought even in the books, the sex & nudity stuff was
pretty prudish.

Heck, they can do limited nudity and get PG-13, but probably not with the
amount of violence they have to portray.

Mason Barge

Dec 14, 2011, 4:29:56 PM12/14/11
You're right -- well, technically not "kids" but "12 and up" -- but I
think a lot of the sales and the reason for the big success was the older
audience.

moviePig

Dec 14, 2011, 4:53:50 PM12/14/11
On Dec 14, 4:26 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:21:02 -0800 (PST), nick <nickmacpherso...@AOL.com>
Fwiw, I Googled this: ( http://tinyurl.com/bre9ttp )

----------------
Where's the Sex in The Hunger Games?

This'll probably get some false positives on the google searches
(sorry), but I had to mention this. I saw this on Top Ten Most
Challenged Books of 2010.

'The Hunger Games' -- sexually explicit, unsuited to age group...

What? Where the hell was The Hunger Games sexually explicit? There
wasn't a single sex scene, no nudity. Someone needs to tell me where
that part was, because I sure as hell want to read that part again.

This is why censorship sucks. Because these mother-hen "concerned
parents" always have their heads up their asses. They never read the
book in question, and if they do, they always misinterpret it, take it
out of context, or never understand the context that it's in. They're
different worlds away, and it is not their job to determine what my
kid can and can't be exposed to. That's my job.
----------------

Obveeus

Dec 14, 2011, 5:46:48 PM12/14/11

"moviePig" <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>Fwiw, I Googled this: ( http://tinyurl.com/bre9ttp )
>
>----------------
>Where's the Sex in The Hunger Games?
>
>This'll probably get some false positives on the google searches

Starting with Moviepig.

>What? Where the hell was The Hunger Games sexually explicit? There
>wasn't a single sex scene, no nudity. Someone needs to tell me where
>that part was, because I sure as hell want to read that part again.

The comments below the quote (on the link above) reveal that there is
nudity, though I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to show up in the
theatrical version aimed at teens (if not 'kids').

Meanwhile, I recently watch 'The Night Buffalo' on DVD...a film much more
likely to fill a person's 'adult content' needs.

moviePig

Dec 14, 2011, 6:06:02 PM12/14/11
On Dec 14, 5:46 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
I read 'The Hunger Games' (without complaint, yet also without being
tempted towards its sequels). And fwiw I recall neither sex nor
nudity... well, at least no nudity in which naughty anatomy makes a
verbally explicit appearance...

Obveeus

Dec 14, 2011, 7:44:50 PM12/14/11

"moviePig" <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

On Dec 14, 5:46 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
>> "moviePig" <pwall...@moviepig.com> wrote:
>> >Fwiw, I Googled this: (http://tinyurl.com/bre9ttp)
>
>> The comments below the quote (on the link above) reveal that there is
>> nudity, though I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to show up in the
>> theatrical version aimed at teens (if not 'kids').
>>
>> Meanwhile, I recently watch 'The Night Buffalo' on DVD...a film much more
>> likely to fill a person's 'adult content' needs.
>
>I read 'The Hunger Games' (without complaint, yet also without being
>tempted towards its sequels). And fwiw I recall neither sex nor
>nudity... well, at least no nudity in which naughty anatomy makes a
>verbally explicit appearance...

To some people's mindset, nudity of any sort is naughty. For them, just
taking a shower makes them feel dirty.

Stephen Newport

Dec 15, 2011, 5:26:28 AM12/15/11
The 18th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®, one of the awards
season's premier events, will be simulcast live coast-to-coast on TNT
and TBS on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, at 8 p.m. (ET) / 5 p.m. (PT) from the
Shrine Exposition Center in Los Angeles. An encore primetime telecast
will begin immediately following on TNT at 10 p.m. (ET) / 7 p.m. (PT).
The ceremony will also be telecast internationally, as well as to U.S.
military installations overseas through the American Forces Network
Broadcast Center.

FILM
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role DEMIÁN
BICHIR / Carlos Galindo - "A BETTER LIFE" (Summit Entertainment)

GEORGE CLOONEY / Matt King - "THE DESCENDANTS" (Fox Searchlight
Pictures)

LEONARDO DiCAPRIO / J. Edgar Hoover - "J. EDGAR" (Warner Bros.
Pictures)

JEAN DUJARDIN / George - "THE ARTIST" (The Weinstein Company)

BRAD PITT / Billy Beane - "MONEYBALL" (Columbia Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role GLENN CLOSE
/ Albert Nobbs - "ALBERT NOBBS" (Roadside Attractions)
VIOLA DAVIS / Aibileen Clark - "THE HELP" (DreamWorks Pictures /
Touchstone Pictures)
MERYL STREEP / Margaret Thatcher - "THE IRON LADY" (The Weinstein
Company)
TILDA SWINTON / Eva - "WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN" (Oscilloscope
Laboratories)
MICHELLE WILLIAMS / Marilyn Monroe - "MY WEEK WITH MARILYN" (The
Weinstein Company)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
KENNETH BRANAGH / Sir Laurence Olivier - "MY WEEK WITH MARILYN" (The
Weinstein Company)
ARMIE HAMMER / Clyde Tolson - "J. EDGAR" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
JONAH HILL / Peter Brand - "MONEYBALL" (Columbia Pictures)
NICK NOLTE / Paddy Conlon - "WARRIOR" (Lionsgate)
CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER / Hal - "BEGINNERS" (Focus Features)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
BÉRÉNICE BEJO / Peppy - "THE ARTIST" (The Weinstein Company)
JESSICA CHASTAIN / Celia Foote - "THE HELP" (DreamWorks Pictures /
Touchstone Pictures)
MELISSA McCARTHY / Megan - "BRIDESMAIDS" (Universal Pictures)
JANET McTEER / Hubert Page - "ALBERT NOBBS" (Roadside Attractions)
OCTAVIA SPENCER / Minny Jackson - "THE HELP" (DreamWorks Pictures /
Touchstone Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture THE ARTIST (The
Weinstein Company)
BÉRÉNICE BEJO / Peppy
JAMES CROMWELL / Clifton
JEAN DUJARDIN / George
JOHN GOODMAN / Al Zimmer
PENELOPE ANN MILLER / Doris
BRIDESMAIDS (Universal Pictures)
ROSE BYRNE / Helen
JILL CLAYBURGH / Annie's Mom
ELLIE KEMPER / Becca
MATT LUCAS / Gil
MELISSA McCARTHY / Megan
WENDI McLENDON-COVEY / Rita
CHRIS O'DOWD / Rhodes
MAYA RUDOLPH / Lillian
KRISTEN WIIG / Annie

THE DESCENDANTS (Fox Searchlight Pictures) BEAU BRIDGES / Cousin Hugh
GEORGE CLOONEY / Matt King
ROBERT FORSTER / Scott Thorson
JUDY GREER / Julie Speer
MATTHEW LILLARD / Brian Speer
SHAILENE WOODLEY / Alexandra King
THE HELP (DreamWorks Pictures / Touchstone Pictures) JESSICA CHASTAIN /
Celia Foote
VIOLA DAVIS / Aibileen Clark
BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD / Hilly Holbrook
ALLISON JANNEY / Charlotte Phelan
CHRIS LOWELL / Stuart Whitworth
AHNA O'REILLY / Elizabeth Leefolt
SISSY SPACEK / Missus Walters
OCTAVIA SPENCER / Minny Jackson
MARY STEENBURGEN / Elaine Stein
EMMA STONE / Skeeter Phelan
CICELY TYSON / Constantine Jefferson
MIKE VOGEL / Johnny Foote

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (Sony Pictures Classics) KATHY BATES / Gertrude Stein
ADRIEN BRODY / Salvador Dali
CARLA BRUNI / Museum Guide
MARION COTILLARD / Adriana
RACHEL McADAMS / Inez
MICHAEL SHEEN / Paul
OWEN WILSON / Gil

Stephen Newport

Dec 15, 2011, 11:25:34 AM12/15/11
A few films Obveeus should be forced to watch:

"J. EDGAR" (Warner Bros.
Pictures)

THE ARTIST" (The Weinstein Company)

"ALBERT NOBBS" (Roadside Attractions)

"THE HELP" (DreamWorks Pictures / Touchstone Pictures)

"THE IRON LADY" (The Weinstein
Company)

"MY WEEK WITH MARILYN" (The
Weinstein Company)

"BEGINNERS" (Focus Features)

Obveeus

Dec 15, 2011, 1:29:50 PM12/15/11

"Stephen Newport" <Newpor...@webtv.net> wrote:

> "THE HELP" (DreamWorks Pictures / Touchstone Pictures)

Why do yuo hate me so much.

> MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (Sony Pictures Classics)

I saw that one...probably safe to say that you loved it more than I did.

Mason Barge

Dec 15, 2011, 2:20:43 PM12/15/11
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:53:50 -0800 (PST), moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
wrote:
Nice find. That's exactly how I remembered it.

But I have to agree with the critics on the main point, which is, it is
very iffy for a 12-year-old. Maybe mature 14 and up.

Mason Barge

Dec 15, 2011, 2:21:43 PM12/15/11
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:06:02 -0800 (PST), moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
wrote:
Right, the "nudity" is like the heroine takes off all her clothes while
they are fitting her costume.

moviePig

Dec 15, 2011, 2:52:57 PM12/15/11
On Dec 15, 2:21 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:06:02 -0800 (PST), moviePig <pwall...@moviepig.com>
I do recall it now, yet somehow neglected to dog-ear that page...

nick

Dec 15, 2011, 3:42:50 PM12/15/11
On Dec 15, 2:21 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:06:02 -0800 (PST), moviePig <pwall...@moviepig.com>
> they are fitting her costume.- Hide quoted text -

"Then they pull me from the table, removing the thin robe I've been
allowed to wear off and on. I stand there, completely naked, as the
three circle me, wielding tweezers to remove any last bits of hair."

Obveeus

Dec 15, 2011, 4:38:57 PM12/15/11
Are you guys sure this book series isn't adapted from some Hentai story?

Mason Barge

Dec 15, 2011, 6:49:45 PM12/15/11
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:42:50 -0800 (PST), nick <nickmacp...@AOL.com>
wrote:
"My mound of passion now as hairless as a child's, Alphonse slowly rubs
baby oil into it to stop any chafing, slowly rubbing it in short circles,
his rugged knuckles brushing against my little nub with each caress until
I begin to moan softly, even though I strain for silence. He spreads my
lips slightly, to expose my palpitating pink love grotto."

Stephen Newport

Dec 16, 2011, 3:45:47 AM12/16/11
From: Obv...@aol.com (Obveeus)
Why do you hate me so much?
SN: You really need to be exposed to classier films and music. And after
that: THEATRE.

Obveeus

Dec 16, 2011, 6:51:53 AM12/16/11
Am I allowed to watch anything new or does it have to be old black and white
stuff with that horrible style of acting you love so much?

nick

Dec 16, 2011, 8:50:00 AM12/16/11
On Dec 16, 3:45 am, NewportsRe...@webtv.net (Stephen Newport) wrote:
> From: Obve...@aol.com (Obveeus)
Why am I reminded of that old SNL character, the Master Thespian?

moviePig

Dec 16, 2011, 9:14:32 AM12/16/11
On Dec 15, 6:49 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:42:50 -0800 (PST), nick <nickmacpherso...@AOL.com>
No penetration, no F-bombs... a solid 'PG-13'.

nick

Dec 16, 2011, 8:59:48 AM12/16/11
On Dec 15, 4:38 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
Maybe not Hentai but there sure is a lot of Battle Royale in Hunger
Games.

Obveeus

Dec 16, 2011, 11:45:48 AM12/16/11
Newport reminds me of one of those Muppets up in the balcony...with a case
of Tourette Syndrome frequently.

Jim G.

Dec 16, 2011, 2:23:26 PM12/16/11
Mason Barge sent the following on Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:49:45 -0500:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:42:50 -0800 (PST), nick <nickmacp...@AOL.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 15, 2:21 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Right, the "nudity" is like the heroine takes off all her clothes while
> >> they are fitting her costume.- Hide quoted text -
> >
> >"Then they pull me from the table, removing the thin robe I've been
> >allowed to wear off and on. I stand there, completely naked, as the
> >three circle me, wielding tweezers to remove any last bits of hair."
>
> "My mound of passion now as hairless as a child's, Alphonse slowly rubs
> baby oil into it to stop any chafing, slowly rubbing it in short circles,
> his rugged knuckles brushing against my little nub with each caress until
> I begin to moan softly, even though I strain for silence. He spreads my
> lips slightly, to expose my palpitating pink love grotto."

Jeebus Gawd. That reads like a winner of a Bad Sex in Fiction award. I
can see why this series might appeal to a young audience, but I've read
reviews from people *my* age or older who have raved about the thing.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
NoCLoDS Founding Member (No Cop, Lawyer or Doctor Shows)

Stephen Newport

Dec 16, 2011, 4:26:49 PM12/16/11
From: Obv...@aol.com (Obveeus)
old black and white stuff with that horrible style of acting
---------------------------------------
SN: You're just throwing out lame excuses now.

Mason Barge

Dec 16, 2011, 4:42:51 PM12/16/11
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:42:27 -0500, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"moviePig" <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:
>>On Dec 13, 11:56 am, "Mr. Hole the Magnificent"
>><classic.mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> How did you miss the Will Smith controversy over his massive trailer
>>> in NYC that was bigger that a block and had to be moved?
>>
>>I never watch trailers...
>
>This trailer didn't even have a spoiler.

Yeah but his Porsche has a spoiler. I've seen it.

Stephen Newport

Dec 16, 2011, 4:30:33 PM12/16/11
SNL's Master Thespian
one of those Muppets up in the balcony
SN: Such common references. Again, exposure to classier stuff is what's
needed here.

Stephen Newport

Dec 16, 2011, 4:33:37 PM12/16/11
From: Obv...@aol.com (Obveeus)
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (Sony Pictures Classics) I saw that one...
-------------------------------------
SN: Does it fall into your "paint drying genre?"

Mason Barge

Dec 16, 2011, 4:49:34 PM12/16/11
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 06:30:04 -0800 (PST), moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 13, 8:52 am, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
>> "Stephen Newport" <NewportsRe...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> > THE MOST ANTICIPATED BLOCKBUSTER IN 2012:
>>
>> added rec.arts.movies.current-films.
>>
>> > According to Men:
>> > 1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros)
>> > 2. The Avengers (Marvel/Disney)
>> > 3. The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros)
>> > 4. The Bourne Legacy (Universal)
>> > 5. Men in Black III (Sony)
>>
>> > According to Women:
>> > 1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2 (Summit)
>> > 2. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
>> > 3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros)
>> > 4. Dark Shadows (Warner Bros)
>> > 5. The Avengers (Marvel/Disney)
>>
>> Of all the above movies, The Hobbit is the only one that I am looking
>> forward too.  The Hunger games would be next on the list, though it likely
>> 'skews young'.
>>
>> > THE MOST ANTICIPATED REMAKE IN 2012:
>> > According to Men:
>> > 1. Total Recall (Sony)
>> > 2. The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony)
>> > 3. The Great Gatsby (Warner Bros)
>> > 4. Snow White And The Huntsman (Universal)
>> > 5. Mirror Mirror (Relativity)
>>
>> > According to Women:
>> > 1. Snow White And The Huntsman (Universal)
>> > 2. The Great Gatsby (Warner Bros)
>> > 3. Mirror Mirror (Relativity)
>> > 4. Total Recall (Sony)
>> > 5. The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony)
>>
>> None of these are inspiring me at the moment.
>
>Not to bring quiche-eating into it, but some of these are making me
>question the definitions of "men" and "women"...

It doesn't make me question their masculinity. It makes me question their
sanity. I mean, "The Great Gatsby"????/4? Come ON.

There are chick flicks I like a lot. I laughed my ass off in Bridesmaids.
I loved "Sleepless in Seattle". I can't think of a genre I completely
avoid.

(OTOH, I got up and walked out of "Bridget Jones' Diary" after five
minutes, leaving my wife sitting there alone. And I took the popcorn!)

Mason Barge

Dec 16, 2011, 4:59:32 PM12/16/11
Jim, Jim, Jim.

1. That was me having a bit of fun, not a quote from the book.
2. I'm not sure I'd actually "rave" about it, but I really liked the book
and read both the sequels. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone
who likes Orwellian fantasy. I bet you'd enjoy it.

Actually, if it were written for adults, I might actually rave, but it's
hampered by -- not sure how to say it, maybe a "Spielburg" type
sensibility at times, even though a lot of kids murder each other.

But on the positive side, there's a superb satire on modern society,
somewhat along the lines of Thomas Mann's "Glass Bead Game". People like
it for a reason.

Stephen Newport

Dec 16, 2011, 4:59:45 PM12/16/11
From: nickmacp...@AOL.com (nick) <<<SN: You really need to be
exposed to classier films and music. And after that: THEATRE.>>>
Why am I reminded of that old SNL character, the Master Thespian?
SN: He had a certain charm. What Obveeus needs is something closer to
John Houseman in THE PAPER CHASE.

Obveeus

Dec 16, 2011, 7:16:34 PM12/16/11

"Mason Barge" <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are chick flicks I like a lot. I laughed my ass off in Bridesmaids.
> I loved "Sleepless in Seattle". I can't think of a genre I completely
> avoid.
>
> (OTOH, I got up and walked out of "Bridget Jones' Diary" after five
> minutes, leaving my wife sitting there alone. And I took the popcorn!)

Bridget Jones' Diary was a far better film that Bridesmaids. I know lots of
people must have liked it, but it was devoid of laughs when I saw it.

Obveeus

Dec 16, 2011, 7:19:17 PM12/16/11
It certainly had its moments. There were several discussions in this
newsgroup about it if you care to search the past for more extended bits of
my opinion.

Jim G.

Dec 17, 2011, 1:21:24 PM12/17/11
Mason Barge sent the following on Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:59:32 -0500:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:23:26 -0600, Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> >Mason Barge sent the following on Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:49:45 -0500:

> >> "My mound of passion now as hairless as a child's, Alphonse slowly rubs
> >> baby oil into it to stop any chafing, slowly rubbing it in short circles,
> >> his rugged knuckles brushing against my little nub with each caress until
> >> I begin to moan softly, even though I strain for silence. He spreads my
> >> lips slightly, to expose my palpitating pink love grotto."
> >
> >Jeebus Gawd. That reads like a winner of a Bad Sex in Fiction award. I
> >can see why this series might appeal to a young audience, but I've read
> >reviews from people *my* age or older who have raved about the thing.
>
> Jim, Jim, Jim.
>
> 1. That was me having a bit of fun, not a quote from the book.

Thank God. But I see the Bad Sex bit posted every year to one or more of
my various reading haunts, and what you wrote is exactly like the sort
of stuff that can actually get published. And we're not talking
self-published with some obscure vanity publishing house, or anything.

> 2. I'm not sure I'd actually "rave" about it, but I really liked the book
> and read both the sequels. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone
> who likes Orwellian fantasy. I bet you'd enjoy it.

I actually had it three layers deep in my To Be Read list, but then I
realized that it wasn't a one-off, so I removed it. SF series can often
turn out to be endless and are often ... well, let's just say that the
quality isn't always consistent after the first outing or two. I may
give it another look, but I know from experience that I'm better off not
starting a SF series than I am at dropping it mid-series when it
deserves to be dropped.

And speaking of Orwellian fantasy, I have Murakami's 1Q84 on hand for
soon after I finish REAMDE. It's one that you might want to check out if
you like Orwellian stuff.

moviePig

Dec 17, 2011, 1:38:12 PM12/17/11
On Dec 16, 4:59 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:23:26 -0600, Jim G. <jimgy...@geemail.com> wrote:
> >Mason Barge sent the following on Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:49:45 -0500:
> >> On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:42:50 -0800 (PST), nick <nickmacpherso...@AOL.com>
Have you got the wrong Mann? It was Hesse who wrote 'Magister Ludi'.
Also, I was unaware it was a satire. (Admittedly, I was young when I
read it... and acted, spake, and thought as such...)

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 17, 2011, 2:03:54 PM12/17/11
>>"Then they pull me from the table, removing the thin robe I've been
>>allowed to wear off and on. I stand there, completely naked, as the
>>three circle me, wielding tweezers to remove any last bits of hair."

>"My mound of passion now as hairless as a child's, Alphonse slowly rubs
>baby oil into it to stop any chafing, slowly rubbing it in short circles,
>his rugged knuckles brushing against my little nub with each caress until
>I begin to moan softly, even though I strain for silence. He spreads my
>lips slightly, to expose my palpitating pink love grotto."

The "no chafing" bit is what makes it so sexy.

Mason Barge

Dec 17, 2011, 3:34:39 PM12/17/11
Well, of all the genres, comedy is the most susceptible to personal taste.

I have had the experience of watching a movie that made me laugh so hard I
cried, and then watching it again some time later and wonder "what the
hell was I laughing at?"

And to demonstrate my total lack of concern about my image, I'll even tell
you the name of the movie:
.
.
.
.
.
Well, on second thought, maybe this is a "I don't think I woulda' told
that one" moment.

Mason Barge

Dec 17, 2011, 3:40:45 PM12/17/11
Now you have to read it, LOL. It ties up pretty well as a self-contained
novel. Besides, if you don't like it, you won't be tempted to read
another, and if you do, you'll be happy you did!

How's that for logic?

Seriously, it's a fast read. The prose is not at all dense.

>And speaking of Orwellian fantasy, I have Murakami's 1Q84 on hand for
>soon after I finish REAMDE.

Gonna' wait for paperback on both of these.

Mason Barge

Dec 17, 2011, 3:42:37 PM12/17/11
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:21:24 -0600, Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote:

PS - Have you read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline? It's on my "wait
for paperback" list.

Mason Barge

Dec 17, 2011, 3:45:36 PM12/17/11
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:38:12 -0800 (PST), moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
wrote:
Too late, I already got dinged for this yesterday. At my age, I'm proud I
got the right language!

>Also, I was unaware it was a satire. (Admittedly, I was young when I
>read it... and acted, spake, and thought as such...)

You need to read it without the mirror.

David Johnston

Dec 17, 2011, 4:06:46 PM12/17/11
It isn't endless. It's definitively over with the third book.

Mason Barge

Dec 17, 2011, 6:52:27 PM12/17/11
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:06:46 -0700, David Johnston <Da...@block.net>
wrote:
True. OTOH, look at "Dune".

moviePig

Dec 17, 2011, 7:14:22 PM12/17/11
On Dec 17, 3:45 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:38:12 -0800 (PST), moviePig <pwall...@moviepig.com>
No ding bat here. In fact, Mann was a friend of Hesse's, and
apparently "appears" in the novel.

> >Also, I was unaware it was a satire.  (Admittedly, I was young when I
> >read it... and acted, spake, and thought as such...)
>
> You need to read it without the mirror.

I can't find reference to it as satire. But fwiw I find I'm drawn to
the idea...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Jim G.

Dec 17, 2011, 9:34:29 PM12/17/11
Mason Barge sent the following on Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:40:45 -0500:
I'll reconsider it.

> >And speaking of Orwellian fantasy, I have Murakami's 1Q84 on hand for
> >soon after I finish REAMDE.
>
> Gonna' wait for paperback on both of these.

Hardback will help you to build up your biceps and triceps, as each
clocks it at around 1,000 pages. Me, I'm a wimp, which is why I have 'em
as ebooks. :)

Jim G.

Dec 17, 2011, 9:34:29 PM12/17/11
Mason Barge sent the following on Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:42:37 -0500:
> PS - Have you read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline? It's on my "wait
> for paperback" list.

I have now, and I'm gonna track it down. Thanks for the tip!

Jim G.

Dec 17, 2011, 9:34:29 PM12/17/11
Mason Barge sent the following on Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:52:27 -0500:
Exactly. And I know myself well enough to know how hard it is for me to
*not* get suckered into Yet Another Entry in a Deteriorating Series.
It's like Oreos; if there's another one there, I'm gonna eat it.

Obveeus

Dec 18, 2011, 9:46:01 AM12/18/11

"Mason Barge" <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:16:34 -0500, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>>Bridget Jones' Diary was a far better film that Bridesmaids. I know lots
>>of
>>people must have liked it, but it was devoid of laughs when I saw it.
>>

> Well, of all the genres, comedy is the most susceptible to personal taste.

True enough as is evidenced by that subculture that finds the current crop
of NBC sitcoms funny.

> I have had the experience of watching a movie that made me laugh so hard I
> cried, and then watching it again some time later and wonder "what the
> hell was I laughing at?"
>
> And to demonstrate my total lack of concern about my image, I'll even tell
> you the name of the movie:
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Well, on second thought, maybe this is a "I don't think I woulda' told
> that one" moment.

I'll admit to laughing (and being the only one in the theater laughing) near
the end of ALIENS when the android was crawling around deck with half a
body.

Mason Barge

Dec 18, 2011, 4:38:20 PM12/18/11
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:34:29 -0600, Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Mason Barge sent the following on Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:40:45 -0500:
>> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:21:24 -0600, Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I actually had it three layers deep in my To Be Read list, but then I
>> >realized that it wasn't a one-off, so I removed it. SF series can often
>> >turn out to be endless and are often ... well, let's just say that the
>> >quality isn't always consistent after the first outing or two. I may
>> >give it another look, but I know from experience that I'm better off not
>> >starting a SF series than I am at dropping it mid-series when it
>> >deserves to be dropped.

Update - I saw the trailer for the movie last night. The realization of
it looks absolutely top-notch. I got choked up in the freaking
*trailer*!!!!!1!

The headliner, Jennifer Lawrence -- who could easily have gotten a Best
Actress award for Winter's Bone (and that's also a good read if you like
crime fiction) -- is about to hit the A-List. Mark my words. Thirty
seconds of screen time and she had me in the palm of her hand.

(Figuratively. You can stop planning that cute reply RIGHT NOW.)

Jim G.

Dec 19, 2011, 2:45:01 PM12/19/11
Mason Barge sent the following on 12/18/2011 3:38 PM:
See, this is the problem with watching dancing mom shows. It makes it
too easy to admit to stuff like *this*. :)

> (Figuratively. You can stop planning that cute reply RIGHT NOW.)

Who, me? I have *no* idea what you're talking about...

Mason Barge

Dec 19, 2011, 6:20:11 PM12/19/11
BTW, I just noticed that someone at Entertainment Weekly called the
trailer for "Hunger Games" the best three minutes of cinema in 2011.

Of course, they are utterly incompetent as movie and tv critics.

Remysun

Dec 19, 2011, 11:07:21 PM12/19/11
On Dec 16, 9:14 am, moviePig <pwall...@moviepig.com> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 6:49 pm, Mason Barge <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > "My mound of passion now as hairless as a child's, Alphonse slowly rubs
> > baby oil into it to stop any chafing, slowly rubbing it in short circles,
> > his rugged knuckles brushing against my little nub with each caress until
> > I begin to moan softly, even though I strain for silence.  He spreads my
> > lips slightly, to expose my palpitating pink love grotto."
>
> No penetration, no F-bombs...  a solid 'PG-13'.

A pink love grotto is at least an R.