Spike Lee - He must be happy

Kilroy Bass

Mar 25, 2002, 5:38:12 PM3/25/02
Remember when Spike fumed about the lack of minority winners or
nominees at Oscars?

Spike, are you happy now?

Vicstanley

Mar 25, 2002, 5:40:55 PM3/25/02
>Subject: Spike Lee - He must be happy
>From: kilro...@catlover.com (Kilroy Bass)
>Date: 03/25/2002 4:38 PM Central Standard Time

>Remember when Spike fumed about the lack of minority winners or
>nominees at Oscars?
>
>Spike, are you happy now?

That bug eyed little creep won't be happy until all white people are shipped
back to Holland.

TetsuwanATOM

Mar 25, 2002, 6:34:46 PM3/25/02

"Vicstanley" <vicst...@aol.coma> wrote in message

not all white people, perhaps just you two. buh-bye

SpaceRook

Mar 25, 2002, 6:35:04 PM3/25/02

White people like Halle Berry's mom?

John Harkness

Mar 25, 2002, 6:52:11 PM3/25/02
On 25 Mar 2002 22:40:55 GMT, vicst...@aol.coma (Vicstanley) wrote:

I think that his most frequent white collaborators -- people like John
Turturro -- would be rather surprised to be shipped to Holland.

John Harkness

TWS

Mar 25, 2002, 7:21:02 PM3/25/02

"Kilroy Bass" <kilro...@catlover.com> wrote in message

> Remember when Spike fumed about the lack of minority winners or
> nominees at Oscars?
>
> Spike, are you happy now?

Isn't this a time when loudmouths are trying to make everyone equal- neuter
males- make women masculine type thing. Why then do a song and dance about
someone's racial background?- shouldn't they just be Halle Berry and Denzel
Washington- humans.

Paulfxfoley

Mar 25, 2002, 7:45:49 PM3/25/02
>That bug eyed little creep won't be happy until all white people are shipped
>back to Holland.

*I* won't be happy till I'm shipped to Holland.

--Paul
-------------------------------
"Sooner is better than later."

John Harkness

Mar 25, 2002, 7:59:09 PM3/25/02
On 26 Mar 2002 00:45:49 GMT, paulf...@aol.com (Paulfxfoley) wrote:

>>That bug eyed little creep won't be happy until all white people are shipped
>>back to Holland.
>
>*I* won't be happy till I'm shipped to Holland.
>
>--Paul

Neither will we, Paul, neither will we.

John Harkness

Kilroy Bass

Mar 25, 2002, 8:45:23 PM3/25/02
"TetsuwanATOM" <notb...@likely.com> wrote in message news:<quOn8.415162$pN4.28...@bin8.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>...

I was merely wondering if Spike was satisfied by the outcome. There's
no need for an attack.

sonia.alexander

Mar 25, 2002, 10:29:37 PM3/25/02
I hope that Spike Lee is happy, and so he should be. What happened at the
Oscars with Denzel, Halle and Sidney should not have taken 40 years !! It
was a long time coming...

Now we are going to get people on these newsgroups trying to turn it into a
political issue as apposed to these fine Actors actually deserving the
Oscars, they will do this and pretend they are not racist when it is just
what they are being !!

Why can't you just be happy for Denzel and co?

I think that allot of people forget that the movie world and movies are
light entertainment and I really feel that we sometimes take films and
Actors too seriously, (apart from films that are based on real life events
etc).

What Tom Cruise said when he opened this years Oscars was true !!

~S

Don Porter

Mar 25, 2002, 10:56:17 PM3/25/02
sonia.alexander <sonia.a...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:
> I hope that Spike Lee is happy, and so he should be. What happened at the
> Oscars with Denzel, Halle and Sidney should not have taken 40 years !! It
> was a long time coming...

That seems like a reasonable observation, but it raises the obvious question.
Where's the injustice? In each of those 40 years, where's the better
performance by a black actor that was unjustly overlooked while another
non-black actor took home the trophy? Unless you can name some, you're
just asking for tokenism.

Well, one might say, the opportunities for success have not been equal,
and I would agree. But I don't see how a black Best Actor, 40 years
too late or not, does much to change that.

Both Denzel Washington and Halle Berry should rejoice in their accomplishment
and recognition. Great personal milestones for both. But a milestone
against racial inequality? Kicking down a door? I don't think so.

--
| Don Porter dgpo...@erols.com |
| "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!" |

David Weber

Mar 25, 2002, 11:27:49 PM3/25/02
"sonia.alexander" <sonia.a...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in message

> I hope that Spike Lee is happy, and so he should be. What happened at
the
> Oscars with Denzel, Halle and Sidney should not have taken 40 years !!
It
> was a long time coming...
>
> Now we are going to get people on these newsgroups trying to turn it
into a
> political issue as apposed to these fine Actors actually deserving the
> Oscars, they will do this and pretend they are not racist when it is
just
> what they are being !!

1) It seems as if the "issue" was brought up by at least one of the
performers all by herself, without prompting from this newsgroup. She
made it an "issue" for some people.

2) Why does reacting to Berry's rant make one a racist? Some people
found it distasteful; why does that make them racists?

> Why can't you just be happy for Denzel and co?
>
> I think that allot of people forget that the movie world and movies
are
> light entertainment and I really feel that we sometimes take films and
> Actors too seriously, (apart from films that are based on real life
events
> etc).

Once again, if people were carefully ignoring the so-called issue
before, Halle Berry brought it front and center on Sunday. You might
want to tell her she took things too seriously, since it was Berry who
prompted this so-called issue in the first place.

Sheila Paterson

Mar 26, 2002, 2:05:17 AM3/26/02
On 25 Mar 2002 22:40:55 GMT, vicst...@aol.coma (Vicstanley) wrote:

Can I be shipped to London?

Sheila Paterson
Note: address transmogrified.

Mason Barge

Mar 26, 2002, 8:46:13 AM3/26/02
>Why then do a song and dance about
>someone's racial background?- shouldn't they just be Halle Berry and Denzel
>Washington- humans

A lot of us are wondering the same thing.

Of course, one answer is, because Berry and Washington probably wouldn't have
won awards -- certainly not both of them. "Progressive" Hollywood is still a
very racist place and is behind the country as a whole in ridding itself of
this race nonsense. They are just now going through the affirmative action
bullshit, at a time when the rest of the nation is starting to reject it.

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me
some coffee."
- Abraham Lincoln

Hase Jean

Mar 26, 2002, 8:37:42 PM3/26/02
Morgan Freeman - The Shawshank Redemption - 1995

Against Tom Hanks -Forrest Gump

Samuel L Jackson - Pulp Fiction - 1995

Against Martin Landou - Ed Wood

The following are performances that should at least be nominated

Forest Whitaker - Bird - 1989

Morgan Freeman -Seven - 1995

Samuel L Jackson - Eve's Bayou - 1998

Debbie Morgan - Eve's Bayou - 1998

Vivia A. Fox - Soul Food - 1998

If no black athlete was allowed to enter Major League until 1965, the
greatness of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron would seem diminished because
they were unable to produce in Major League during their prime years.
Good leading roles are assigned to actors who have star power. Back
actors rarely get the chance to show their acting ability until
recently. How can you wonder the injustice question when white and
black actor are not created equal in this regard in the last 75 years?

If you want to talk about token presence then Sidney Poltier is one.
For every Sidney Poltier there are at least a dozen Melvan van Peebles
we have rarely seen and heard of.

Monica Seles

Mar 27, 2002, 3:57:00 AM3/27/02
has...@yahoo.ca (Hase Jean) wrote in message

> Morgan Freeman - The Shawshank Redemption - 1995

Agree. I'll never forgive the Academy for giving the Oscar to Hanks
for 'Forrest Gump' over Freeman. Or to Helen Hunt for 'As Good As It
Gets' over Judi Dench. But the important thing here is that this is
just my opinion. Not everyone might have liked Freeman's (or Dench's)
performance. Does that make the Academy racist? Tell that to Martin
Scorsese.

> Samuel L Jackson - Pulp Fiction - 1995
>
> Against Martin Landou - Ed Wood

This is what I mean by the opinion part. I think Landau was
outstanding in 'Ed Wood' and deserved to win the Oscar. This is where
opinions come in and just because the voters preferred Landau's
performance, does that make them racist?

> Samuel L Jackson - Eve's Bayou - 1998
> Debbie Morgan - Eve's Bayou - 1998

I thought Eve's Bayou deserved a nomination for its writing. Morgan
was pretty good too.

> Vivia A. Fox - Soul Food - 1998

Hardly. I found 'Soul Food' entirely charm-free, a totally empty,
cliched piece of crap.

Man an Ancient Race

Mar 27, 2002, 2:15:13 PM3/27/02
kilro...@catlover.com (Kilroy Bass) wrote in message news:<4c3ac3f0.02032...@posting.google.com>...

> Remember when Spike fumed about the lack of minority winners or
> nominees at Oscars?
>
> Spike, are you happy now?

oh no, he aint happy. he very jealous. he wanted credit for getting
his bros and sis get the oscars but they did plenty well without him.

Dan Day

Mar 27, 2002, 8:23:04 PM3/27/02

He doesn't sound very happy:

"It's easy for Hollywood to pat itself on the back and
to say, oh, that should satisfy them, that should keep
them quiet for a while," the director Spike Lee said.
"But the same jubilation that people feel now, people
were also probably feeling nearly 40 years ago in the
aftermath of Sidney Poitier winning the first lead Oscar
for a black actor. I'm optimistic, but let's hope there's
not another 40-year drought."

Kilroy Bass

Mar 28, 2002, 3:09:48 AM3/28/02
d...@firstnethou.com (Dan Day) wrote in message news:<3ca86fa4....@news-server.houston.rr.com>...

Thanks for the article. Maybe Spike's statement is correct.

Tim Pierce

Mar 28, 2002, 2:24:06 PM3/28/02
In article <3ca86fa4....@news-server.houston.rr.com>,

Sounds pleased but cynical. Not an unreasonable point of view.

Mason Barge

Mar 28, 2002, 3:55:46 PM3/28/02
>Sounds pleased but cynical. Not an unreasonable point of view.

Spike is worried about losing his pulpit, without getting any of the action
himself.