Tarzan trailer a bit hard to take

RichA

Jun 15, 2016, 1:12:46 AM6/15/16
There's a scene where he's going to fight some large ape, they're swinging toward each other. In reality, the largest apes are 5-7 times stronger than a man. A gorilla 10-15 times stronger. If a strong man can bench-press 400lbs, if it could be trained to, a gorilla could bench a Range Rover. Bone density, speed, instinct to commit 100% to a fight (for animals, it's often to the death) against a human, no human would stand a chance. Doesn't matter if he grew up in the trees.

Your Name

Jun 15, 2016, 3:20:02 AM6/15/16
In article <8f846c20-9756-4570...@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tarzan trailer a bit hard to take

That's what happens when Hollyweird changes Tarzan to be female. ;-)

peterjc...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2016, 7:45:07 AM6/15/16
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 1:12:46 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
> There's a scene where he's going to fight some large ape, they're swinging toward each other. In reality, the largest apes are 5-7 times stronger than a man. A gorilla 10-15 times stronger.

It is unclear what you are trying to convey here. Gorillas ARE the largest apes.

RichA

Jun 15, 2016, 11:50:15 AM6/15/16
What he's going to fight in the movie seems like something other than a gorilla.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 15, 2016, 12:00:39 PM6/15/16
In article <41df2e36-34f6-424a...@googlegroups.com>,
Canonically, Burrough's established that the apes who raised Tarzan
were not Gorillas and were some unknown species with a rudimentary
spoken language.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Obveeus

Jun 15, 2016, 12:02:48 PM6/15/16
It cannot possibly be a big as the orangutan in THE JUNGLE BOOK.

Bill Steele

Jun 15, 2016, 2:41:14 PM6/15/16
I'm guessing from the context that the opponent is Bolgani, who killed
Tarzan's adoptive mother. So, a gorilla.

Burroughs established that as a result of his upbringing Tarzan has far
more than normal human strength. You buy the premise, you buy the bit.
And he has his "fang."

RichA

Jun 15, 2016, 3:41:47 PM6/15/16
Some humans have far more than normal human strength, but they'd still lose in a fight with an ape. Apes also have long, sharp teeth which they'll use to rip your face (and private parts!) off.

moviePig

Jun 15, 2016, 4:40:32 PM6/15/16
Please, no more Republican-primary jokes...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Russell Watson

Jun 15, 2016, 4:56:19 PM6/15/16
On 6/15/2016 12:02 PM, Obveeus wrote:

Not an orang but rather a gigantopithecus (he even says so), a species
extinct for millennia but for some reason resurrected for the purposes
of the Disney flick.

Ronald O. Christian

Jun 15, 2016, 4:57:48 PM6/15/16
On 15 Jun 2016 16:00:37 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
...also Tarzan found a knife in his parents' hut, which had a lot to
do with his subsequent survival.

Ron
-
2014 FLHTK "The Grey"

Russell Watson

Jun 15, 2016, 4:59:28 PM6/15/16
Mangani, neither chimp (which Burroughs never gave another name) nor
gorilla (bolgani) but something in between, known colloquially as "the
great apes". Tarzan is tarmangani (white skin) while native Africans are
gomangani (black skin).

Russell Watson

Jun 15, 2016, 5:04:15 PM6/15/16
On 6/15/2016 2:41 PM, Bill Steele wrote:
> On 6/15/16 12:00 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <41df2e36-34f6-424a...@googlegroups.com>,
>> RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> swinging toward each other. In reality, the largest apes are 5-7 times
>>> stronger than a man. A gorilla 10-15 times stronger.

>>> largest apes.
>>>
>>> What he's going to fight in the movie seems like something other than
>>> a gorilla.
>>
>> Canonically, Burrough's established that the apes who raised Tarzan
>> were not Gorillas and were some unknown species with a rudimentary
>> spoken language.
>>

> I'm guessing from the context that the opponent is Bolgani, who killed
> Tarzan's adoptive mother. So, a gorilla.

Pretty sure it's a mangani and Tarzan is fighting him for primacy over
the tribe as he did Tublat in the novels, having to reestablish himself
after his absence. In fact, this appears to be at least very loosely
based on "The Return of Tarzan" (as well as other, later books in the
series, since Tarzan and Jane are married in this one) so it may well
actually be that same fight.

Also, to Rich's point, pretty sure there is another trailer that shows
more of the scene and when Tarzan and this ape collide Tarzan gets the
shit knocked out of him and goes flipping through the air like a rag doll.

Russell Watson

Jun 15, 2016, 8:44:58 PM6/15/16
And later observed the use of a bow and arrows in the hands of natives,
which not knowing how to fashion himself, he stole. The natives, not
understanding the disappearance of their weapons to an "invisible" being
who they assumed was either a god or a demon, then started leaving
appeasement "offerings" of arrows under the tree from which he accessed
their village so he always had a supply.

Obveeus

Jun 15, 2016, 8:58:52 PM6/15/16

On 6/15/2016 4:56 PM, Russell Watson wrote:
> On 6/15/2016 12:02 PM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> What he's going to fight in the movie seems like something other than
>>> a gorilla.
>>
>> It cannot possibly be a big as the orangutan in THE JUNGLE BOOK.
>>

> Not an orang but rather a gigantopithecus (he even says so),

yep...a giganta-hokum.

> a species
> extinct for millennia but for some reason resurrected for the purposes
> of the Disney flick.

And the sole survivor of its species who has lived forever in the same
home without knocking the walls over until...

BTR1701

Jun 15, 2016, 10:50:38 PM6/15/16
In article <njsfjf$nt1$1...@dont-email.me>,
And the social justice snowflakes on America's college campuses recoil
in horror and demand that Burroughs be removed from campus libraries
before they flee for their safe spaces.

Russell Watson

Jun 16, 2016, 1:05:53 PM6/16/16
Well duuhhhh... the gomangani Tarzan encounters are all ignorant,
bestial savages until he meets the Waziri, who are by contrast "noble"
savages. So of course he becomes their king because, well, he's white,
and a noble by birth. I have to admit here that as a member of a working
class family that was the hardest part of the books for me to swallow as
a kid, the whole "natural aristocracy" bit. Even as a teenager I could
read them, then look at some chinless, big-eared wonder like Prince
Charles and think, "Yeah, throw that guy in a friggin' jungle and see
what happens..." But taken for what they are and the context of the
times when they were written and they are still highly entertaining
adventure stories and deserve their place in literary history, even if
in the "fast food" section along with Stephen King and other such
material. It ain't Mark Twain but it has its place. What: you mean some
of them want to ban Twain, too?

Ronald O. Christian

Jun 17, 2016, 12:02:04 PM6/17/16
And I try to pass this off as a joke, but then I read the news.

Ronald O. Christian

Jun 17, 2016, 12:09:22 PM6/17/16
On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 13:05:59 -0400, Russell Watson
I think it's a British thing. I'm currently reading the Honor
Harrington series on the advice of a friend, and there's a lot of
high-born superiority in that one too. Galactic civilization and
technology that looks suspiciously like Great Britain during the time
of the tall sailing ships. Choice positions are usually manned by
aristocrats. People who are born proles and manage to become
successful are few and remarkable. (Which is a little odd, now that I
think of it, being the author was born in Cleveland.)

But ok, the Tarzan mythology stretches the suspension of disbelief
somewhat. One can console one's self in the story point that anything
can happen once. But then, there's Son of Tarzan...

Ron (...and George of the Jungle...)

(...and Sheena...)

Russell Watson

Jun 17, 2016, 2:36:54 PM6/17/16
And Burroughs was born in Chicago. The mind boggles that born Americans
would embrace this ideology, but in Burroughs' case, as I stated before,
I allow for the context of the time in which he lived, at least as far
as the racial component is concerned. He also wrote a couple of novels
about a white boy captured by a band of Apaches who absorbs all their
abuse and in the fullness of manhood becomes their chief. He didn't cull
for skin color: anybody not white was eventually going to fall under the
thrall of the nearest white man regardless of how out of his element he
was. I believe Charlie Manson had a similar theory...

Alan Smithee

Jun 18, 2016, 4:29:18 AM6/18/16
Sounds like some parts of downtown Los Angeles.

Ronald O. Christian

Jun 19, 2016, 6:26:13 PM6/19/16
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 05:29:16 -0300, Alan Smithee <al...@last.inc>
wrote:
Ouch. I think you're going to take some punishment for that.

Ron

Alan Smithee

Jun 21, 2016, 5:58:32 AM6/21/16
Yes. I should have said, "most parts of the United States today." :-D