Need initiation ideas for freshmen

O.G. Marti

Jul 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/21/96

Does anyone have any really good ideas for freshmen initiation? I'm going to
be a senior and band camp is next month and I really want to torture some fresh
meat. Post or e-mail

thanx,
MTFBWY

-jjm-

TrainRnS

Jul 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/21/96

Why not torture freshmen band members by teaching them what they need to
know to be a total band member. Gee, did it ever occur to you that if you
really care about YOUR band you could put your efforts to better use by
helping incoming freshmen than to be a pain in the a-- to your director
and everyone in your group.

Joe

Jul 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/21/96
to O.G. Marti

One thing our band does every year is have the seniors wake up the freshmen
at an ungodly hour in the morning a few days before school starts. They then take
the freshmen to the school, where they have breakfast, watch a movie, play games,
and some other stuff--though I am sure this can be modified for whatever you want
to do with your freshmen. Each senior had three freshmen to wake up. One senior
woke their freshmen up with the loudest airhorn you have ever heard--at four thirty
in the morning. He then drove them around town for a few hours, keeping them awake,
eventually getting them to the high school for the festivities starting around
6:30, 7:00. Hope this helps some.

Joe Bogie

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

> Does anyone have any really good ideas for freshmen initiation? I'm
going to
>be a senior and band camp is next month and I really want to torture some
fresh
>meat. Post or e-mail

>thanx,
>MTFBWY

>-jjm-

Here's an idea for ya; instead of "torture", why not accept them and help
them out? Seems to me that they'll respect you a whole lot more.
J.L. Vala

"Just when you got it made
And all your bills are paid
You stumble and fall into your grave..." V. Furnier

BdwyBby

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

I remember up at band camp, we used to have this thing called high court.
One of the staff members would write these hilarious songs to "humiliate"
anyone who had drawn too much attention that year. For example, all the
freshman girls who had a crush on a big senior; someone caught peeking in
cabins of the opposite sex; dating a member of the staff, etc., etc.
Anyway, whoever was being "punished" was sent up to stand in front of the
whole band (which was assembled on the football field) and made to stand
there during the song. After the song, the "verdict" would be made,
usually by the "jury" of staff members. This would normally include
toilet paper and shaving cream. When high court was over, the shaving
cream fight would begin. Unfortunately, we don't do high court anymore,
though the shaving cream fight is still traditional.

Chuh!, Duh!, and Whatever!,

Devon Tutak
Bdw...@aol.com
Student, Actress, Trumpeter Extraordinaire
Kearny High School, Class of 1999

"Always look on the bright side of life."
"You gotta be sincere."

The official trumpet greeting: "Hi, I'm better than you."

R Michal m

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

Here's an idea for ya; instead of "torture", why not accept them and help
them out? Seems to me that they'll respect you a whole lot more.
J.L. Vala
Geez, you sound like a band dad or something. Were you picked on as a
kid? Freshman initiations are a rite of passage into high school. They
have been since the dawn of time. Yes, they will be accepted into the
spirit of the band's family atmosphere, but for the first week or two,
they are expected to "learn" their place in the band. The last thing the
band needs is for a freshman to think he's hot-shit. That ruins the
entire band--the upper classmen sure don't want a freshman to make a scene
of themselves every rehersal, and noone wants their attitude to rub off
onto other freshmen. This may not be hand-in-hand with freshmen
initiations, but it sure helps to teach them FAST where their place is in
the band.

What we do in our band is wrap (or "TP") the freshmen's houses before the
first football game. Everything is legal--we have each parent's concent,
and the directors are aware of what we do, as long as we have a chaparone
(yes, a chaparone). It's loads of fun for the upper classmen, AND the
freshman. Another thing is the annual (anal i think) "Yank Them Out of
Bed at 6:00 am for Breakfast and 'lots of fun activities'" I was too
tired to enjoy the expirience, but the freshmen and the rest of the upper
classmen loved it. I helped them to become closer with each other.

Instead of dogging someones ideas J.L., try to make sense of them and
respond appropriately.

-rob-
"without football, we'd all be preparing for concert season"

Drew McPheeters

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to rmic...@aol.com

R Michal m wrote:

> Geez, you sound like a band dad or something. Were you picked on as a
> kid? Freshman initiations are a rite of passage into high school. They
> have been since the dawn of time.

Preexistance is no justification for anything. An idea must stand upon
it's own merits, not just "that's what we've always done."

> Yes, they will be accepted into the
> spirit of the band's family atmosphere, but for the first week or two,
> they are expected to "learn" their place in the band.

And what place would that be? Some kind of correlation to "the back of
the bus" or "in the kitchen"?

> The last thing the
> band needs is for a freshman to think he's hot-shit.

Yeah, they got you for that, right?

> That ruins the
> entire band--the upper classmen sure don't want a freshman to make a scene
> of themselves every rehersal, and noone wants their attitude to rub off
> onto other freshmen. This may not be hand-in-hand with freshmen
> initiations, but it sure helps to teach them FAST where their place is in
> the band.

Gee, when a judge marks off somebody for a mistake, do they consider what
class they are in? NO

When, your band director considers people for first chair or section lead
does being a freshman disqualify him? I would certainly hope not.

If a freshman can play better than an upper classman (something I have
seen a lot of time) are you going to waste the talent and have him play
something beneath his talent? You would be foolish to do that.

> Instead of dogging someones ideas J.L., try to make sense of them and
> respond appropriately.

Instead of treating people by virtue of their inclusion in a certain group,
be it race, sex, religion, age, weight, height, or any other classification
why not treat them as individuals.

-- And now for something completely different...
-- The penguin on your computer will explode.
--
-- Drew B. McPheeters dr...@velveeta.apdev.cs.mci.com , dr...@frii.com

Rynful

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

Before you guys consider "initiations", perhaps you should consult a
lawyer. Even though you aren't in a college fraternity or sorority, all
of the ideas that you guys have posted could (and would, if they went to
court) be considered HAZING. If you don't know what hazing is, here is a
great definition (from Tau Beta Sigma and Kappa Kappa Psi, the college
BAND sorority and fraternity)

HAZING : Hazing is defined as any actions taken or situation created,
intentionally or unintentionally, to produce mental or physical discomfort
on or off campus involving members and/or prospective members, which may
cause embarrassment, harassment, and/or ridicule.

With people willing to sue for just about anything these days, maybe you
should think twice before you jeopardize the financial status (and
REPUTATION) of your band, your school, and your county. (or parish for my
Louisiana friends) How would you like to no longer have a band
organization because you shot shaving cream into someones eyes and blinded
them?

Even if you have consent from parents, band directors, etc., you are still
embarrassing, harrassing, and ridiculing those new members. The TRUST and
RESPECT that your freshman give you should be earned by the ATTITUDES and
ACTIONS of the upperclassmen - not by fear. Respect based on fear is
false.

You can flame me if you want. This is not just someone being an old
fogie. These are the facts -- don't say it can't happen to you - it can.
Sorry guys, I'm with J. L. Vala on this one.

Kathy
A member of the think before you act club
Tau Beta Sigma Life Member
Instructor, Kathleen High School Color Guard (Lakeland, FL)
and....
a former high school and college band member

Kathy Fulton
ryn...@aol.com
Instructor, Kathleen HS Color Guard

Triangle Man

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

I have seen a few different views on this subject posted
recently, and frankly I think that all the views are correct.
It is unfair, and not cool to demean the freshmen, and make them
feel like total shit. Something like this you could find in the
initiation of a fraternity (I am in a frat, I should know) or by watching
the movie "Dazed and Confused". This type of abuse, or in some cases
hazing (not at my house, but at others from what I have heard) is uncalled
for and should be disallowed by the band staff.
However, some initiation ceremonies are harmless and can actually
be more help than hindrance. Take for example the early breakfast run.
I see no potential danger in this (except for eating a bad pankacke or
having a few too many eggs!), plus it allows the seniors to bond and
spend time with the freshmen so that the seniors know what the freshmen
are like and what to expect of them, and the freshmen gain a sense of
belonging and have people to look up to in the band, if the "ceremony" is
carried out correctly.
Most of the time you will find initiation ceremonies that are a
blend of the two. The freshmen get "put in their place" by acts that
belittle them or by sheer abuse by the seniors (yelling at them just to
yell, turning them into their slave) but in the end it was all just a
game or something and the freshmen are rewarded and welcomed into the
band by the seniors or what not.
In my freshmen year, the seniors were kind of a cocky class and a
few of them choose to run around at night and beat the tar out of
freshmen in their beds with pillow, there was no "fun ceremony" at the
end of this. My section leader had a warrant to kick my ass I think. I
was always being poked and proded at, and verbally as well as sometimes
physically abused. Our band staff knew of this, but also knew what kind
of person my section leader was, and didn't stop him. My section leader
was a worse case scenario I think, and we have had no others like him
since he has gone. That year lots of the freshmen were closer to the
seniors.
My senior year, there was no initiation or any pillow bashing.
Mostly the freshmen were let be. So for the most part, the freshmen hung
with the freshmen, and the seniors hung with the seniors. Much less
inter-class relationships developed.
I must admit that the make-ups of the two classes involved were
different for both scenarios. My freshman year, lots of the guys just
seemed to blend together. One of the freshman had a brother in the
senior class and hung out with him all the time, so there were already
formed friendships there.
My senior year, the freshmen class had very little in common with
the seniors so we just never got together. Our class was more outgoing,
while the freshmen were more reserved, but you will find this in almost
any freshmen class (reserved, shy folks).
My point is that initiation when kept at a decent level is
actually a good thing, but it can quickly become detrimental to many if
taken too far. Let there be initiation and rites of passage. they can
be healthy, but if they are taken away some of the comraderee (sp?) will
be lost in the marching band.

Joe Harmon
Corydon Central Vanguard 91-94
Drum Major 93-94
Go CCV!

Out of the night that covers me, Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Black as the pit from pole to pole, Looms but the Horror of the shade,
I thank whatever gods may be And yet the menace of the years
For my unconquerable soul. Finds and shall find me unafraid.

In the fell clutch of circumstance It matters not how stait the gate,
I have not winced nor cried aloud How charged with punishments the scroll
Under the bludgeonings of chance I am the master of my fate:
My head is bloody, but unbowed. I am the captain of my soul.

"Invictus"

William Ernest Henley

Jason Murphy

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

>"without football, we'd all be preparing for concert season"

I'm not sure where you are comming from. Does your band function for the
purpose of a 'half-time show'? My band uses the football game as a rehersal.
We only play at home games which usually fall on a Saturday we have a
competition. We simply play (usually without uniforms) and get the hell out of
there. When we play, many people come just to see the 'half-time show', not
the football game. Sorry all you football players, you still have the
cheerleaders.

BdwyBby

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

OK LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orientation/Initiation is meant in all good fun. In most cases, it is not
to completely maim and scar a person for life, it is to welcome them into
the group. Sure, its a weird way of welcoming the group, but if your band
is anything like mine, you're weird, too. If someone severely objects to
initiation, then you don't initiate them. If they don't want to
participate, don't make them. Initiation does not mean kill the person,
it means play a little practical joke or dress them in drag. Initiation
is not throwing someone into a pool of sharks, which is what some of you
are making it out to be. If you don't like it, go sue someone's ass off
for all the money they have. So, if you're my band director, and I can
"sue for anything these days", I'll sue you for telling me I'm out of
step. Because that cuases "mental discomfort" to me, so I guess that's
Hazing, right? Wrong! With all the serious work we put in at band and/or
band camp, we deserve a little fun. And I am sure that no one here meant
fun as ripping a freshman's head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew McPheeters

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96
to OMA...@tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu

O.G. Marti wrote:

> Does anyone have any really good ideas for freshmen initiation? I'm going to
> be a senior and band camp is next month and I really want to torture some fresh
> meat. Post or e-mail

How about something really unique. Make them feel welcome, needed, and
important, rather than hated despised, stupid, untalented, and ugly.

Some of those you will "torture" will not see it as a fun, joking or
inclusive right of passage. To them it will be mean, demeaning, and
embarrasing.

That you would even be allowed to do something like this is revolting.

I'm not a touchy, feely, lovey-dovey new-ager either (no offense), but
there is no reason for these ridiculous rituals anymore.

-- I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

TrainRnS

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

Geez, and you sound like a member of a "football band". By that I mean a
band whose only purpose in life is to support the jocks of the school
population and make lots of noise every time they butt heads in the mud.

Drew McPheeters

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

BdwyBby wrote:

> OK LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Orientation/Initiation is meant in all good fun.

A lot of things seem like harmless fun to the people
doing it. Ever hear the people arrested for date rape?

> If someone severely objects to
> initiation, then you don't initiate them. If they don't want to
> participate, don't make them.

Do they know they can opt out of participation? Will they be made
the object of ridicule if they do? Peer pressure is a great force
at that age. I know of many stories where young people are arrested
for doing something they wouldn't do on their own, because they wanted
to go along with the gang.

> Initiation does not mean kill the person,
> it means play a little practical joke or dress them in drag. Initiation
> is not throwing someone into a pool of sharks, which is what some of you
> are making it out to be.

Emotional damage of humilitation can take longer to heal than physical
scares. Making someone dress in drag may be funny to you, but some
people could find it humiliating beyond belief.

> If you don't like it, go sue someone's ass off
> for all the money they have.

Yeah, that's a real good attitude, and a true indication of the trouble
this country is in.

> So, if you're my band director, and I can
> "sue for anything these days", I'll sue you for telling me I'm out of
> step. Because that cuases "mental discomfort" to me, so I guess that's
> Hazing, right? Wrong!

Apples and Oranges. When you join band, part of what defines a marching
band is marching in step. When you join marching band you assume the
responsibility to follow certain guidlines of performance.

> With all the serious work we put in at band and/or
> band camp, we deserve a little fun.

Fun is fine. Why must it be at the expense of others?

> And I am sure that no one here meant
> fun as ripping a freshman's head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make a lot of assumptions, cause I have seen or been told of many
seperate instances of physical injury from your kind of so-called
"harmless" initiation.

Adam Duritza

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

joeb...@aol.com (Joe Bogie) wrote:

>> Does anyone have any really good ideas for freshmen initiation? I'm
>going to
>>be a senior and band camp is next month and I really want to torture some
>fresh
>>meat. Post or e-mail

Remember that the freshmen will be the leaders of the band program in
four years. If they are treated negatively in band camp, then they
will take out their hostilities once they get the chance. Negativity
can and will KILL a marching band. I know it sounds corny, but as a
Senior, you are a person in authority, and you will be much more
respected if you are accepting of the freshmen and cnthusiastic about
the year. Just my 2 cents.

Adam Duritza
Senior Drum Major
L'Anse Creuse High School Marching Lancers

BdwyBby

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

Listen, if you had a brain, which you obviously don't, you would see that
I was quoting what other people had said before when I talked about hazing
and suing. And by the way, speaking of apples and oranges, DATE RAPE?
What the hell is wrong with your mind that you can not see the huge
difference!!!! I'm sorry, but you must belong to some sick, twisted band
who rapes freshman for initiation. That's a very serious offense, and the
last time I heard, it wasn't meant all in good fun without intention of
hurting, and don't give me crap about how it isn't cause I'll fight even
harder.

So, who are you, anyway? Some geek who got picked on too much? Some
person who couldn't march for shit and paid for it? Someone who got
laughed at? Get used to it, that's real life. But you don't live in the
real world, do you? You live inside your tiny, pathetic, close-centered
mind!

Drew McPheeters

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96
to bdw...@aol.com

BdwyBby wrote:

> Listen, if you had a brain, which you obviously don't, you would see that
> I was quoting what other people had said before when I talked about hazing
> and suing.

If you had a brain you would learn how to properly quote what others had said.

> And by the way, speaking of apples and oranges, DATE RAPE?
> What the hell is wrong with your mind that you can not see the huge
> difference!!!! I'm sorry, but you must belong to some sick, twisted band
> who rapes freshman for initiation.

I don't belong to any group which demands I take part is some kind
of stupid initiation. That's what I am arguing against.

> That's a very serious offense, and the
> last time I heard, it wasn't meant all in good fun without intention of
> hurting, and don't give me crap about how it isn't cause I'll fight even
> harder.

If you will take time to read, you will know that I never said
anything like that. Physical abuse is physical abuse, emotional abuse
is emotional abuse. I don't distinguish between circumstances. Do you?

> So, who are you, anyway? Some geek who got picked on too much? Some
> person who couldn't march for shit and paid for it? Someone who got
> laughed at? Get used to it, that's real life. But you don't live in the
> real world, do you? You live inside your tiny, pathetic, close-centered
> mind!

Actually I am someone that volunteers my time without pay to help a high
school band, because I think it's an important and fun thing to do. Not
that I need to justify any of my opinions whatsoever.

This tirade shows your real attitude.

1. Those with power and positions of authority can do what they want.
2. Those without should shut up and take it, or else.
3. Dissenting opinions are not tolerated.

> Chuh!, Duh!, and Whatever!,

You said it, you obviously live it.

> Bdw...@aol.com

AOL.... I should have guessed.

> Student, Actress, Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Let me guess...
You were passed over for the lead in `Clueless'
Should have told them that was your life's story.

-- I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

bres...@epix.net

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

As a School Board Director and Band Parent, I have to agree with Kathy. As
well as the Mental or Physical abuse of the Freshman, it can lead to the end
of your band program. Hazing is childish and have no place in any program or
school activity. Incomming new members have enough problems trying to be
accepted and do what is required by the program than to be harrrassed. Have
fun and enjoy your band and its activities. There are too many people just
looking for some excuse to use the band funds for other activites (SPORTS).

Piccolo Butch

O.G. Marti

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

In article <4t3am1$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>
Actually, unlike many other bands in south Georgia, our band is VERY
independent from the football team. Yes, we play at half-time but we are also
very competitive. In the past twenty years, my band, the Tift County Blue Devil
Brigade, has won 20 band competitions. Two years ago we competed in the
Festival of States competition in St. Petersburg, Fla. There, against 20 or so
bands from across the country, we placed 5th in parade, 4th in field show, 3rd
in concert band and 1ST in JAZZ BAND|(which I played bass-bone in). Remind you
that this is a NATIONAL band competition.
Our band even broke away from the school's traditional navy-blue and white
colors of the football team and adopted the colors baby-blue and white with
some navy to the ridicule of the entire county.
This may not matter all that much to some of you, but our school is in the
heart of where football is king. All of the negative posts that I have recieved
referring to my band as a "football band" just because we allow our seniors to
"buy' freshmenand give them a hard time for one week in the summer is unfair.
We're not the best, but there's about 220 of us who are going to the Brach's
Thanksgiving Day Parade in Chicago, and for one week, we will be.
Sorry if our idea of fun disturbs some of you, but it is NOThazing. You might
make a freshman get up and sing the fairy song or something, but it's all in
good fun and no one gets hurt. At the end, we've all had a good time. I was a
freshman once, and I thought it some of the funnest times in my life. All I
asked for is little ideasto make 14 hours of hell a day for one week
go a little quicker, and I get a slap in the facefrom most of you. Thanx to
those who reponded for real. And no thanx to those who bitched at me.

Dang, some of you all sound like my BAND DIRECTOR|||

Rynful

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

In article <4t3ua9$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, bdw...@aol.com (BdwyBby)
writes:

>Orientation/Initiation is meant in all good fun. In most cases, it is
not to completely >maim and scar a person for life, it is to welcome them
into the group. Sure, its a >weird way of welcoming the group, but if
your band
>is anything like mine, you're weird, too.

Weirdness is relative.

>If someone severely objects to
>initiation, then you don't initiate them. If they don't want to

>participate, don't make them. Initiation does not mean kill the person,

>it means play a little practical joke or dress them in drag. Initiation
>is not throwing someone into a pool of sharks, which is what some of you
>are making it out to be.

No, initiation is not throwing someone into a pool of sharks. (Unless you
live near Sea World, it is nearly impossible to find a good pool of hungry
sharks, anyway.) "Initiate", the verb is (I defer to Mr. Webster's
college version) - 1) to cause or facilitate the beginning of: set going
(i.e., MOTIVATE) 2) to instruct in the rudiments or principles of
something (i.e. EDUCATE) 3) to induct into membership by or as if by
special rites (i.e., CELEBRATE)

>If you don't like it, go sue someone's ass off
>for all the money they have.

It could happen to not just you, but your band, school, and school
district.

>So, if you're my band director, and I can
>"sue for anything these days", I'll sue you for telling me I'm out of
>step. Because that cuases "mental discomfort" to me, so I guess that's
>Hazing, right? Wrong!

Educating and harrassing are two separate (we all hope) vehicles. Think
of what your band director tells you when you're out of step. At the
worst, it may be "Devon, you're on the wrong foot, what's wrong with you?"
(S)he probably doesn't say "Devon, get in step or the entire band will
think that you are a worthless piece of lowly protoplasm!" Quite a bit of
difference, wouldn't you say?

>With all the serious work we put in at band and/or

>band camp, we deserve a little fun. And I am sure that no one here meant

>fun as ripping a freshman's head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun is great, just not a someone elses expense. People who have to put
down others to build up themselves are insecure and a lot worse off than
the people they are harassing.

Kathy

PS Did I mention that I was hazed, and even though I WENT THROUGH IT, I
don't think that anyone else should have to. Come on people, think for
yourselves. Start new traditions instead of just being lemmings!

Joe Bogie

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

> Instead of dogging someones ideas J.L., try to make sense of them and
> respond appropriately.

Well, someone made a remark about treating fellow band members like dirt,
and I responded by saying that I thaught that kind of behavior is silly.

Any Questions?

Andrew B

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Hi! In response to the original topic of this thread, my band used to
force all the freshmen to wear outrageously ugly neon hats during band
camp, any time they were out of the dorms. Also, we had to get them signed
by all the seniors, or face some terrible punishment (I don't know what,
nobody has ever failed to get his/hers signed. the hat itself was a little
embarassing, but not too bad because there were 20+ other rookies in the
same situation. The signing created a sort of bond between rookies and
seniors, and helped us learn who was who. Unfortunately, my class was the
last to endure this unique initiation, as we made a few changes the next
year. As for the hazing thing, this wasn't "mentally devestating", it was
kinda fun (I still have my hat, as a sort of memoir). It creates a
bond,knowing that everyone has been through the same things. Anyway, hope
this helps.

Andrew Bailey

Cary High School Trumpet 94-96

Tarheel Sun Soprano 96'

PS: Drew and BdwyBby, yall can move your little flame war to e-mail so all
of us don't have to read it daily! Thanks!

BdwyBby

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Listen, this is just getting way out of hand. A lot of people are
assuming a lot of things. I just want to say one thing and that's
probably all I'm going to post on this topic.

Last year was my freshman year. I did NOT get initiated. And you know
what, neither did any of the other freshman. What was our response? We
were upset. Of the large percentage of the freshman who commented on it,
about 95% said that they had wanted to be initiated. Do you know why?
Because we don't kill people with initiation at Kearny High School. The
year before my freshman year, I attended band camp to march blanks. The
initiation that year ------- The Freshman Fashion show, which had kids
dress up like homies, the bikers, the Clueless ------ all in good fun and
in good taste (unless you count the female pimp and two male hookers in
drag at the end). Everyone laughed. Everyone had a good time. If you
didn't want to participate you didn't. The year before that, the
initiation was dancing with a pool toy whale. We have a dance at the end
of the band camp, and each freshman danced with the whale. That was it.
Do you see any physical or mental scars? No, unless some now senior wakes
up in the night dreaming of sharks in drag.

So, I hope my point has been made. Just because some cases of initiation
have gone completely crazy, not all have. So please, just understand that
what your life is like, or your views in life, are not necessarily like
everyone elses.

Bari

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Jennifer, that's a great idea and my high school has been doing that
since I've been here (can't wait to be a senior this year). And it has
worked most of the time, though our drumline (which I admit to being a
member of) has been rowdy at times and treated each other like pledges.
No more though...we all vowed never to let ourselves do that sort of
stuff anymore.

Bari

Jennifer Dunham wrote:

> Here's an idea....
>
> How about having a big sister/brother - little sister/brother program?
> Pair up each freshman with a responsible, respected upperclassman. --
You have been e-mailed by the computer of Dan "Bari" Usher... =)
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/usher

"...The object of war is not to die for your country
but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton

Shannon Stegall

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Isn't the whole part of initiation just teaching the freshmen discipline?
Why don't the upper classmen just set an example. Show them how to be
good members instead of scaring them into it. Make a spirit day where
everyone's attitude is positive and the freshmen can show you how
positive they can be. Lead by example. If you treat them like crap,
then they'll probably treat you like crap. Give them the respect they
deserve. They're people just like you and me. Just make them stand at
attention, with the rest of the members, and have them do stuff that
might actually help with their marching or playing abilities. Instead of
having them like peanut butter off seniors toes, have them march a
perfect 8 to 5 to get your signature. It will make you lives easier when
it gets to the middle of the marching season.

Shannon Stegall
Bellbrook colorguard
Class A National Champs-1994,95

Homie D. Clown

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

At my school, freshman become WORMS the first night of band camp. We lock
them all in the band room with the seniors (of which I am one) and turn
out the lights and make them run through stuff that feels like things it
isn't and other harmless things like that. Then they are all given a card
that has every seniors name on it and a picture of a worm coming out of an
apple in the middle. They are to wear the card at ALL Times unless they
are in bed sleeping. If they get caught not wearing it, they get pushups
and stuff like that. To get a seniors signature, they are to do something
a senior requires them to do. Be their slave and get their food at
breakfast, get them water at breaktime on the field, eat baby food, lick
peanut butter of peoples toes (thats a nasty one) and other things like
that. And this year, we have more seniors then freshman (woohaa, fun for
us!) The worms also need to memorize a worm poenm and recite it to our
band director. If they dont fullfill their worm requirements, they
usually have to ride bus 1 with the band director all year (but this
usually never comes true) It's a nice little event because it gets the
freshman well aquanted with the seniors (which helps them out later in the
yuear) and it looses the atmosphere of an intense band camp up A LOT when
you come inside off the field.

Evan Mann <*> e...@bridge.net <*> HDClown@IRC
Cooper City HS Sound of Pride - Cooper City, FL - Snare '95, '96
John P. Stevens HS Marching Hawks - Edison, NJ - Bass '93, Snare '94

"Genius is the fire that lights itself." --Neil Peart

GCS/MU d- s: a--- C++(+++) UL++>++++ P+ L++>++++ E---- W(-) N++ K? w(--)
O? M-- !V !PS PE- Y+ PGP?>++ t 5? X? R- tv++ b DI? D+ G? e- h(!) r>++ y?

Jennifer Dunham

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Here's an idea....

How about having a big sister/brother - little sister/brother program?

Pair up each freshman with a responsible, respected upperclassman. Have
that person write their freshman a letter a week or so before band camp
starts welcoming them to the band program and the high school. Get
several pairs of bigs and littles together during band camp and do "get
accquanted" games, or maybe even do some games with several pairs against
other pairs. Build UNITY between your classes! You can still have fun
and make the freshman feel special without humiliating them. Although I
ended up being pretty outgoing by the time my senior year came, I don't
think I would've enjoyed any sort of initiation that included mental or
physical teasing when I was only 14! As a coach, I wouldn't want my
squad to do that, and as a member of a college sorority, I wouldn't do
that to any of our pledges! I want people to feel welcome and special
when they are a part of any of my organizations!

Jen
jdu...@niu.edu

NIU Huskie Band Colorguard
Sycamore Spirits Flag Corps
Sigma Alpha Iota

The Nugents

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Drew McPheeters wrote:

> O.G. Marti wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any really good ideas for freshmen initiation? I'm going to
> > be a senior and band camp is next month and I really want to torture some fresh
> > meat. Post or e-mail
>
> How about something really unique. Make them feel welcome, needed, and
> important, rather than hated despised, stupid, untalented, and ugly.
>
> Some of those you will "torture" will not see it as a fun, joking or
> inclusive right of passage. To them it will be mean, demeaning, and
> embarrasing.
>
> That you would even be allowed to do something like this is revolting.
>
> I'm not a touchy, feely, lovey-dovey new-ager either (no offense), but
> there is no reason for these ridiculous rituals anymore.
>
> -- I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!
> -- And now for something completely different...
> -- The penguin on your computer will explode.
> --
> -- Drew B. McPheeters dr...@velveeta.apdev.cs.mci.com , dr...@frii.com

I AGREE!!!!!

I lived in fear of "Initiation" for a whole year. I would never put any
new comers to my section through that!!!!!

John

Bari

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

Very good point Shannon... unfortunately, there are some groups out there
that this would never work for. Personally I think that it could work
with my band if the band director would lighten up a bit. During band
camp, it's all work, no fun except during lunch, but during that time
we're all licking our wounds from being outside since 8 in the morning
and awaiting the fact that we have 45 minutes till we go out again.

Bari

Nathan Thompson

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

I pitty you sorry people who live in fear of a right of passage. Talk
about the fear of responcibility. Get over it and enjoy it. Tradition
can be one of the most powerful forces in band. I don't see anyone
talking about threatening the life of a little freshman, so stop
worring. Get over it, go to camp, and learn to have a little fun.

Nathan

VisGod

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

YOU MOMS needs a life and stop worrying...

Ernie Gose

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

Gosh, you must either have a really bad football team, or your marching
band has no spirit! I am not trying to bash anyone at saying this, but
the reason most marching bands go to the football games is to help out
the football team! Not "get the hell out of there." That is really bad of
your band to have an attitude like that (or maybe just a few people) ,
but just one person feeling that way could really corrupt the whole views
of your members. I kinda understand why you think your half-time show is
just a "warm up" in some wierd way, but you have to get your priorities
straight. Think not of just football as a sport, but as a great way to
show your band's spirit off!!
Tonia G.
"All of the people participating in...[band]... are bricks to a building.
If one of them let go, the whole thing breaks down."
--the movie "The Principal"
In article <7177cc$122f.3d0@NEWS1>, he...@eznet.net says...

Jim Scott

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

One of the things we always did was had all of the freshman get
up on the stage at our camp and have them lip-sync to a song that
our student DJ picked. It was fun for everyone, yes even the
freshman, and it helped get rid of that fear of being in front of
people that some people have. Which is not a good thing in the
Hoosier Dome during BOA Grand National Finals competition.

Jim Scott
Westerville South
Class of `96

--
Class of `96

Christin Selfinger

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

We all had the seniors `adopt' a freshman, sort of taking them under their
wing and teaching them stuff, from marching tips to inside band jokes. We
had an initiation ceremony with candles, and the seniors used their flames
to light the freshman's candles, the we all threw the candles into a big
bonfire and had pop & smores.
--
Christin Selfinger-The Worlds Most Favorite Blonde Psychopath
Love is only lost for those who give up on finding it. @}-->---

Joe Bogie

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

>Nathan

Nathan, you're assuming that all initiators have the best intentions in
mind. Yes, there are harmless pranks that can be funny and be called an
initiation. However, I can recall several incidents with a couple of
bands that I used to teach where injuries occurred. Is that cool or make
the initiators bad-asses? I think it makes them f***ing scumbag cowards.

zruf...@usa.pipeline.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

I say initiate the freshman by making them feel welcome and like they are a
part of a first class organization with a tradition of excellence. And
encourage them to be excellent also. Initiations that embarrass and
humiliate people just for the fun of it are stupid. Thats not how good
bands operate. When I was a freshman I didnt have to go through any
"initiation". The upperclassmen were cool to me and helped me out to learn
my part and perform my show better. Has anyone on this news group ever been
to a "Band Leadership Workshop" (BLT) or a Drum major camp with Dr. Tim
Lautzenheiser (hope i spelled that right), George Parks, and John Vilella?
If not I suggest you look into attending one. There are several all over
the country. It will change your view on things like this and how your band
operates. even if you arent an official "leader" I suggest you check one of
these workshops.

Megan C 99

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In article <4tde3q$5lp$1...@mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Jim Scott
<71160...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>One of the things we always did was had all of the freshman get
>up on the stage at our camp and have them lip-sync to a song that
>our student DJ picked. It was fun for everyone, yes even the
>freshman, and it helped get rid of that fear of being in front of
>people that some people have. Which is not a good thing in the
>Hoosier Dome during BOA Grand National Finals competition.

This is the kind of initiation that everyone should have. Bands shouldn't
have initiations. You want your new members to feel welcome, not want to
quit after the first day!

Megan

Peace and Love be with you always
*
Megan C. Sullivan
mega...@aol.com
Check out my home page at:
http://members.aol.com/meganc99/meg1.htm
*
"I'm not gonna ask if you just said what I think you said, because
I know that's what you just said." Dana Scully: The X-Files
*
"We seek the comfort of another. Someone to shape and share
the life we choose. Someone to help us through the neverending
attempt to understand ourselves. And in the end, someone to
help us along the way." -Marlin Finch Lupus L&C:TNAOS
*

zruf...@usa.pipeline.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

On Jul 27, 1996 13:18:19 in article <Re: Need initiation ideas for

THAT sounds like a great tradition. I hate to see "initiations" that
humiliate and embarrass freshman though. you should be able to look back on
your years in band and have fond memories:)

Ernie Gose

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

one thing...
bad quote.
In article <31F9B3...@sprynet.com>, us...@sprynet.com says...

Rynful

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In article <Pine.GSO.3.93.96072...@newworld.bridge.net>,

"Homie D. Clown" <e...@newworld.bridge.net> writes:

>We lock
>them all in the band room with the seniors (of which I am one) and turn
>out the lights and make them run through stuff that feels like things it
>isn't and other harmless things like that.

You turn off all of the lights and make them run? I guess by stuff that
feels like things it isn't you probably mean slippery, gooey, things. How
many times has someone slipped and hurt themselves? How many times has
someone run into something because they couldn't see?

Is there anyone else reading this thread who thinks these things are
*SERIOUS* potential for problems? Perhaps you guys should talk to the
music department at Florida State University and see what kind of problems
they've had because of freshman "initiation." I find it hard to believe
that your band director encourages this kind of thing!!!

Kathy (again)
who hopes that one day you guys will wake up and realize how immature and
dangerous **HAZING** is!!

Megan C 99

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

In article <4tekas$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ryn...@aol.com (Rynful)
writes:

>In article <Pine.GSO.3.93.96072...@newworld.bridge.net>,
>"Homie D. Clown" <e...@newworld.bridge.net> writes:
>
>>We lock
>>them all in the band room with the seniors (of which I am one) and turn
>>out the lights and make them run through stuff that feels like things it
>>isn't and other harmless things like that.
>
>You turn off all of the lights and make them run? I guess by stuff that
>feels like things it isn't you probably mean slippery, gooey, things.
How
>many times has someone slipped and hurt themselves? How many times has
>someone run into something because they couldn't see?
>
>Is there anyone else reading this thread who thinks these things are
>*SERIOUS* potential for problems? Perhaps you guys should talk to the
>music department at Florida State University and see what kind of
problems
>they've had because of freshman "initiation." I find it hard to believe
>that your band director encourages this kind of thing!!!

Oh I totally agree. No one deserves this kind of treatment. What does
this running through things do to your band room? I would think it would
make it a disaster, a pain to clean up. Who cleans it up? Do the seniors
clean it up, or do other students, or worse yet, the custodians, have to
clean it up? Get a better initation. Something not so dangerous.

Megan C 99

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

You guys, I think that initations should be positive, if at all. I know
that when I was a freshman, I was terrified of our first rehearsal. I was
the only freshman coming from my school who wasn't in drum line, and I had
no idea what to expect. I already had one enemy (in my section) who was a
year older than me. I didn't know anything about band traditions, so I
didn't know if they had initations, but I had heard from friends who are
band members at other schools that their initations were awful. But I was
one of the lucky ones. The freshmen didn't have any sort of initation.
Oh sure, some of the upperclassmen treated us like dirt (I would use
another word for it, though), but otherwise, it wasn't that bad. Think
back to when you were a freshman? Did you enjoy your initation? Probably
not. So why do it to others? Sure, it may be a tradition, but try to
change that tradition to something positive, like each senior adopting a
freshman, or the seniors kind of putting on a show (like a goofy field
show) for them, something to make them welcome. Marching band should be
like a family, and each family member should be made to feel welcome. You
guys are going to spend a lot of time together in the next year. It's
better to have friends than enemies. And in my band, some of those upper
classmen who picked on a freshman in their section were pretty speechless
when that freshman became their section leader the next year (her
sophomore year). So now, she can boss them around. Those upperclassmen
who picked on her are beginning to regret their decisions, because those
who didn't pick on her are having a much better time.

Think about it.

Zak Ruffert

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

On Jul 28, 1996 15:16:29 in article <Re: Need initiation ideas for

I agree with Megan and Kathy. Doing stuff like that has got to make a mess
for someone to clean up. Obviously its not you otherwise you woulodnt do
it.

Zak

BdwyBby

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

First, I'm not really sure about the situation about which the author
intended, but I'm assuming that if the people fell in the gooey stuff,
they wouldn't be landing on furniture, stands, chairs, etc. You would
probably take that into consideration. Second, this is really a
modification on a Halloween game. It's the one where you peel grapes and
say they are eyes, say spaghetti is hair, liver is liver, you get the
jist. Is having someone touch these things with their feet absolutely a
criminal act worthy of the death penalty? No, but that's what some people

are making it out to be.

Chuh!, Duh!, and Whatever!,

Zak Ruffert

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

On Jul 29, 1996 15:06:41 in article <Re: Need initiation ideas for

freshmenI>, 'bdw...@aol.com (BdwyBby)' wrote:

>The official trumpet greeting: "Hi, I'm better than you."

Sad...but usually true! (im a trumpet player)

Zak

TFlor21180

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

All you flutes need to stop writing in saying we shouldnt "torture"
freshmen, that instead we should help them. Initiation is a right of
passage, we all went through it and afterwards the person that is
initiated gets respect because they earned it. Freshmen have to be put
into their place and taught respect.

Has anyone ever gotten a freshman, stripped him then tie him to an
elevator and press all the buttons so it will stop on all the floors?
Usually we just toss our freshmen in a fountain.

MRF

Nathan Thompson

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

YEAH! I'm sick of all you wussy people out there afraid to hurt anyone.
Geez, lighten up. The day there isn't a punk freshmen in band is the day
I turn in my bag-of-initiation-goodies. Egos need to be delt with -
plain and simple. If you don't have one, I just hope you don't run into
someone who does...

Nathan

Bari

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Finally someone that understands... all the flutes out there, I mean
what's the worst that you guys do to each other...vaseline the mouthpiece
and not tell them so when they pick up their instrument to play they've
got an interesting dilemma on their lips? Geesh, if you were brought up
in the drumline, you'd understand what a right of passage is. There is
nothing fun about band camp usually, why because the drumline gets the
brunt of the jokes, always getting told not to do certain things and
having to do extra practice since the band relys on the drumline to
provide the beat. I swear when we bring in our frosh this year, it's
gonna be so much fun to drill them. Especially since the drum major's
little sister is going to be in the drum line and she's treating me (drum
captain) like I was not her superior. So much fun... In other words,
she's probably going to get iniated as a warning not to piss off the
seniors who really want their final year in band to count. So please,
those of you who aren't in the drum line or are freshman or sophomores,
don't post back to this =) It really gets irritating to listen to the
youth complain after you have been thrased for 2 or 3 years and now what
it means to win a competition and how hard it is to work up to that.
Most frosh come up from middle school expecting competitions to handed to
them. I'm sorry, that's not the way it works. And by the way, the only
hazing that I personally do is to keep the drumline in order and focused
on winning. If you call that initiation, then call it initiation, that's
fine. We call it discipline that the band director hasn't taken care of.

Bari
Bass '93, '94
Quads '95
Snare '96 & Drum Captain

Bill Nance iii

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

Our band does several initiation things with the freshmen that are
amusing for the Upperclassmen, and beneficial for the freshmen.
First of all, the freshmen wear Beanies<sp?> They have their name on them,
so we know who they are. They are required to wear them at all times
during our one week of band camp. Since we go away to camp, that means
that they were them alot.
Another thing we do is make them wear a notebook, called a gig book. In
that, they must get signitures of all the Seniors and officers. They used
to have a gig book song, and have to get gig points, and such, but it was
taken out for some reason or another.
Also, during band camp, the freshmen essentially do anything the
upperclassmen tell them (within reason!) They carry instruments, hold up
walls, wake up the turtles, act out Romeo and Juliet, sing the
Veggietales song, and all sorts of fun stuff. This is to squash any
attitudes that they may have, and remind them that they shouldn't be
worried about looking like a fool. This helps in competitions, so they
aren't as scared.
On Thursdays, we have "Black Thursday" This year, it was called Day of
Discipline, and we were to act disciplined in front of the freshmen. Then,
that night, we led them around on a trust walk, took them through a
tunnel of upper classmen, and into a discipline speech. It was a high
tech and slightly scary experience for them.
Friday, well, I don't want to spoil anything for any 8th graders that
will be freshment next year, so I'll stop. But remember, things change
from year to year, so don't think I've spoiled anything for you.
Shannon, I know you're out their somewhere. Do you have anything to add?

Unknown

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

bdw...@aol.com (BdwyBby) said a little something like this:

>I remember up at band camp, we used to have this thing called high court.
>One of the staff members would write these hilarious songs to "humiliate"
>anyone who had drawn too much attention that year. For example, all the
>freshman girls who had a crush on a big senior; someone caught peeking in
>cabins of the opposite sex; dating a member of the staff, etc.,

Dating members of the Staff. Unless you have some young staff, I'd say
that's illegal.
Randy Q Snott

you say buttkisser like its a bad thing. - Homer

Brian R Bernardini

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

First, sir, you need to deal with *your* ego before you deal with anybody
else's. Your post, and the previous one, are the perfect example of what
kind of people we *don't* need in a marching band. The way to earn a new
member's respect is not to humiliate him or her. Treat them with respect,
and the same will come in return. You might be surprised to find that the
"egos" you speak of will magically disappear when you treat a freshman
like a human being rather than human excrement.

-Brian

Bari

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Bill, thanks for the news. Sounds like fun. Hopefully things will
change so that we can do that sort of stuff. It's not that our high
school is bad, in fact our band usually turns out an awesome show, it's
just getting the frosh to listen to us (ahh!)

Bari

Swdarlin

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

have to agree with you there (you guessed it , I play the trumpet)

Swdarlin

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Our football team does suck.. people either come to the game to watch
us, socialize, altough some do actually com ot watch (of all things
football). They should be greatful to us cause we cheer as much as the
cheerleaders. Games turn out as a good practice for a comp. later that
night or the following day......

sorry just thought I'd put my 2cents in Swda...@aol.com

DaisyRingo

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

freshman need to be initiated
freshman expect to be initiated
freshman dread being initiated, but...
freshman really love being initiated.

i needed to be initiated
i expected to be initiated
i dreaded being initiated, but...
i loved being initiated.

my freshman year was the bomb.

any questions? email me! i love to be flamed...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Q~Q~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Nuff bitchin' 4 now \__/ Support the Blue Ribbon Campaign |
Love Always, |
'Til later folks 'Free Speech on the
Internet!' | Karen |
"You blame yourself for what you can't ignore. You blame yourself for
wanting more."
-Billy
Corgan
I am ...a diehard Billy Corgan and Smashing Pumpkins fan
...the ultimate in post-Gen-X Beatles Fans
...a flute and mellophone player at Plymouth-Canton HS in
Canton Michigan
...a Christian
...a lover to all and a hater to no one
Just in case you wondered...

Sticks

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

bdw...@aol.com (BdwyBby) wrote:

>Listen, this is just getting way out of hand. A lot of people are
>assuming a lot of things. I just want to say one thing and that's
>probably all I'm going to post on this topic.

>Last year was my freshman year. I did NOT get initiated. And you know
>what, neither did any of the other freshman. What was our response? We
>were upset. Of the large percentage of the freshman who commented on it,
>about 95% said that they had wanted to be initiated. Do you know why?
>Because we don't kill people with initiation at Kearny High School. The
>year before my freshman year, I attended band camp to march blanks. The
>initiation that year ------- The Freshman Fashion show, which had kids
>dress up like homies, the bikers, the Clueless ------ all in good fun and
>in good taste (unless you count the female pimp and two male hookers in
>drag at the end). Everyone laughed. Everyone had a good time. If you
>didn't want to participate you didn't. The year before that, the
>initiation was dancing with a pool toy whale. We have a dance at the end
>of the band camp, and each freshman danced with the whale. That was it.
>Do you see any physical or mental scars? No, unless some now senior wakes
>up in the night dreaming of sharks in drag.

>So, I hope my point has been made. Just because some cases of initiation
>have gone completely crazy, not all have. So please, just understand that
>what your life is like, or your views in life, are not necessarily like
>everyone elses.

>Chuh!, Duh!, and Whatever!,

>Devon Tutak
>Bdw...@aol.com
>Student, Actress, Trumpeter Extraordinaire
>Kearny High School, Class of 1999

>"Always look on the bright side of life."
>"You gotta be sincere."

>The official trumpet greeting: "Hi, I'm better than you."

This year is my Freshman year and I did get initiated but only because
I am in the drumline. I got a swirly and a cherry belly. Call me
sick but I was laughing durring the whole thing. I don't have any
physical or emotional scars. Initiation for makes us feel like a
part of the group. Everyone who got initiated didn't mind it. Last
year a guy named Patrick graduated and he never got initiated. He was
the biggest dork to ever go throughthe line. At Cleveland that is
what happens if you don't get it.

Brian R Bernardini

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

In article <4u7r5p$d...@paraguay.earthlink.net>, camp...@earthlink.net
(Sticks) wrote:

> This year is my Freshman year and I did get initiated but only because
> I am in the drumline. I got a swirly and a cherry belly. Call me
> sick but I was laughing durring the whole thing. I don't have any
> physical or emotional scars. Initiation for makes us feel like a
> part of the group. Everyone who got initiated didn't mind it. Last
> year a guy named Patrick graduated and he never got initiated. He was
> the biggest dork to ever go throughthe line. At Cleveland that is
> what happens if you don't get it.

"Dork" is relative.

-Brian

Bill Nance iii

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Hey, I thoroughly enjoyed my Freshmen initiation, and we got it tough! We
were treated like dirt, scared out of our minds, and pretty humiliated.
But, the best part about it was the way we were treated AFTER initiation.
No longer were we treated like Freshmen, but like the rest of the band.
That made me feel pretty good. It also taught several lessons, like to
listen to your upperclassmen, since they know what they are doing even if
you don't. Also, I learned to not worry about what others think about me,
because they aren't thinking as bad of thoughts as I thought.
Basically, there is bad initiations, especially if its revenge, or just
cruel and purposeless. Just try to have purpose to them.

C. Michael Barnett

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

In <4ub4t4$9...@usenetw1.news.prodigy.com> GXS...@prodigy.com (Bill

Theres an inaitation? Hmmm, I don't think I can run too well with a
bari...oh well. Hi everyone! I'm new to this group, and really to
marching also. My music should come in the mail tomorrow. We start
band camp the 19th of august, and our first festival is september 14th.
(I hafta miss it) I march with one of the best bands (supposedly) in
the state. I have heard that it was the only US band in the Victoria
Day PArade, but I dunno. well, I guess (myabe) I'll be talkin to you
later. (I'll shut up now) Bye!

spacey (do you use nicks or real names in here)

on my dad's account: please don't flood/flame. thanks

Dragonmaster Lou

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

Bari <us...@sprynet.com> wrote:

>fine. We call it discipline that the band director hasn't taken care of.

Depending on the extent, most states also call it illegal...
---

Lou
Trombone
Dartmouth High School Marching Band '94
Dartmouth, MA

+-------------- http://www.netspace.org/users/drgnmstr ----------------+
|Dragon...@brown.edu|"Searching for a distant star, heading off to |
|"Dragonmaster Lou" |Iscandar, leaving all we love behind, who knows|
|Technology House |what dangers we'll find..." |
+------------------ ftp://yamato.techhouse.brown.edu ------------------+

Save Our Sailors: Please help keep "Sailor Moon" on the air in the US by
signing the SOS petition @ http://looney.physics.sunysb.edu/~daffy/sos/

Dragonmaster Lou

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

daisy...@aol.com (DaisyRingo) wrote:

>freshman need to be initiated
>freshman expect to be initiated
>freshman dread being initiated, but...
>freshman really love being initiated.

I didn't love to be initiated. I hated it. I hated my entire
freshman year except for winning at NESBA championships. I hated it
so much that I quit for my sophomore year (though I did come back for
my junior and senior years). Some freshman can take the initiation,
especially those with fairly decent egos. Those with frail egos (like
I had) can't and they resent the experience. I despised my freshman
year.

Gene Brothers

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

here is one that goes over well

4:00 AM wake up call on a Saturday before practice. Dress them in funny
and Wacky clothes (dresses work well for guys). make them push a penny
at a local store while singing or mess with their heads in an empty field.
Finally deliver them to practice on time and in the funny outfits.

FFJAHigbe

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

In article <4uhe0t$1k...@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com>, PGC...@prodigy.com
(Gene Brothers) writes:

Let me guess; You are from Colorado,right?!
This is the way you get such an outstanding band program. I bet really
helps develop the same attitude you in display in respect for other band
programs and I quote "All the band suck except little Broomfield High in
COLORADO so everybody
can kiss my azz"
I don't think I'll be trying anything you suggest; ever.

MAH

No one special

Aug 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/12/96

Wow, some of the ideas here sound pretty exciting compared to what the
clarinets and trumpets did my senior year of high school. That year the
clarinets made all the freshmen initiates wear "condom leis" and Burger
King crowns to our first football game. And the trumpets blew up a
condom, tied a string to it so it looked like a balloon, painted a happy
face on it, called it "Dewey the Sperm Cell", and made all the freshmen
run around the stadium (one at a time, of course) screaming "Make way for
His Highness Dewey the Sperm Cell."

Thank goodness I was in the percussion line. Talk about traumatic.

Just my $0.03 worth. Enjoy...

+====================================================================+
Close your eyes don't cry + Marino M. Regalado
It was never mine, never mind | mar...@uhunix5.its.Hawaii.Edu
I didn't mean to die | http://www2.hawaii.edu/~marino
--N1S + Honolulu, HI
x++++++++++++++++++ T H E C O N T I N U U M +++++++++++++++++++++++x

David Pruett

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96
to dpr...@interserf.com

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:

> Bari <us...@sprynet.com> wrote:
>
> >fine. We call it discipline that the band director hasn't taken care of.
>
> Depending on the extent, most states also call it illegal...
> ---
>
> Lou
> Trombone
> Dartmouth High School Marching Band '94
> Dartmouth, MA
>
> +-------------- http://www.netspace.org/users/drgnmstr ----------------+
> |Dragon...@brown.edu|"Searching for a distant star, heading off to |
> |"Dragonmaster Lou" |Iscandar, leaving all we love behind, who knows|
> |Technology House |what dangers we'll find..." |
> +------------------ ftp://yamato.techhouse.brown.edu ------------------+
>
> Save Our Sailors: Please help keep "Sailor Moon" on the air in the US by
> signing the SOS petition @ http://looney.physics.sunysb.edu/~daffy/sos/

Heres an idea, must find it abit dumb, but hey. Always talk about it,
and make up things that "happened" in the past, Freak them out a bit. OK
alot!! It makes great for moral. Once in my band, they handcuffed a kid
to the toliet, put a key in his mouth and the boy had to wait untill the
janitor came in.

Dragonmaster Lou

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

David Pruett <dpr...@interserf.net> wrote:

> Heres an idea, must find it abit dumb, but hey. Always talk about it,
>and make up things that "happened" in the past, Freak them out a bit. OK
>alot!! It makes great for moral. Once in my band, they handcuffed a kid
>to the toliet, put a key in his mouth and the boy had to wait untill the
>janitor came in.

Hey, at least you didn't have a toilet as your bride!

trom...@occn.iglou.net

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

PG>here is one that goes over well

PG>4:00 AM wake up call on a Saturday before practice. Dress them in funny
PG>and Wacky clothes (dresses work well for guys). make them push a penny
PG>at a local store while singing or mess with their heads in an empty field.
PG> Finally deliver them to practice on time and in the funny outfits.
Oldham County Community Network
A Community at your Fingertips!
occn.iglou.net

Geamer

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Okay, this is what we did in Drum Corps. We got the rookie and made
him sing "12 Days of Christmas" and every time he messed up gave him a
super wedgie. Well, I'll tell ya that he didnt have any underwear on
by the end of the song!

Vinson

James Lorenzen

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

Geamer wrote:

> Okay, this is what we did in Drum Corps.

As long as we're going to bring Corps into the discussion . . .

We had a "rookie shirt." It was an XL plain white t-shirt that hadn't
been washed in years. It had writing all over it like "The Rookie
Shirt" "Respect your Vets" and all the years it had been used. For
every Competition a different Rookie would have to wear it during the
show. I got it in Chicago in 1991. It was rancid, but I like the idea.

--
As always,

James Lorenzen

'Tis not for me to reason why,
But my soul longs to March or Die!

Sacramento Freelancers Drum & Bugle Corps. -- Soprano 1991, 1993, 1994
Edward C. Reed High School -- Trumpet Instructor 1993
Meridian High School -- Assistant Percussion Instructor 1995
Capital High School -- Head Marching Coordinator 1995
Nampa High School -- High Brass Instructor 1996

Life is an External Representation of an Internal Idea . . .
a measurement of your "Commitment to Do."
To do what? Anything. EVERYTHING.

http://Science.NNC.edu/~JRLorenzen

Sticks

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

bdw...@aol.com (BdwyBby) wrote:

>Chuh!, Duh!, and Whatever!,

Robert Green

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

I have an idea, make them learn to march & play.

Josh

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Are You Kidding the Day they Learn To March and Play is the Day I eat my
Trombone

Frankfort OH

matu...@aol.com

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

This was my Junior year, third year in band, and I still received an
initiation! Of course, our band is off the wall and a great group of
people that enjoys having a lot of fun, save for the fact that they
dressed my up in make-up, it would have been fine, had I not been a MALE!

matu...@aol.com

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

Would you like salt with that?

L8SHOW22

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

I attended DCI a seminar on this very subject and was blown away with what
some kids have sued their "initiators" over. For example...students have
sued and won because they were assigned a less than desireable nickname.
You are walking on VERY thin ice if you think that these initaiations wont
someday haunt you in a big. Do whatever you like, but be warned.

Jprowant

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Our band always had intiations. Until this year. At band camp, the
Juniors and Seniors would make us lowly Sophomores (our HS is 10-12) dump
all the section's trays and trash at lunch. And the classes before us
always did. UNTIL me and my drummer friend blatantly refused, and left
the caf., and a big pile of trays on our table. Not only did the section
get REALLY reamed out, but our band director gave a huge speech about the
end of intiation.
Now, there is still a Drumline intiation that all males have to go through
(which means not me :)), and that's getting "ripped". That's when they
hang you from the drum tree by the waistband of your undies, and you don't
get down til they rip. Hence the name.

Jess
Marimba Mistriss, Windchime Specialist, and the Littlest Tenor Drummer :)
North Penn Marching Knights #1 Hershey PA 1996

CFT925

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Back when I was a soph and I was initiated, (My high school is only grades
10-12) There were only two of us being initiated for the trombone section.
The section leader held up a napkin, which was "the flag." My colleague
had to blow the flag like it was flapping in the wind while I sang the
entire Star Spangled Banner. Everyone got a kick out of it, as I sang
off-key (not on purpose), forgot some of the words, and basically sounded
like Frank Drebin in "The Naked Gun." All the sophs also had to serve the
upperclassmen drinks at the band camp lunches. The sax section tied the
feet of all its new members together through lunch on initiation day, so
they all had to get their lunch together, and all stay together as they
served the upperclassmen their drinks. When they finally sat down with
their lunches, the band director said "By the way, could you get me some
lemonade?". The drum line always did its "rippings" when one's underwear
was torn off while the pants were still on (I wouldn't recommend doing
this for obvious reasons.) When my junior year rolled around, a new band
director took over, and outlawed all auditions and drink serving. I
thought it kind of sucked because I had to go through initiation, and
everyone else after me did not. Oh, well, just my $0.02.

Jprowant

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Wow . . . that sounds a LOT like my HS band, as previously described.
Nifty. :)

elmo7...@aol.com

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

We don't do initiations of any sort, or maybe we just don't call them
that. We have a long standing tradition of placing many freshies in the
large band room garbage can. They get out right away of course, but it's
funny. We usually try to find out an embarassing story from their past,
and bring it up all the time. For instance, a freshman girl came to
school one day and her lips were all red. I couldn't figure out what
happened. So, I asked. She burnt them with a curling iron. I immediatly
assumed the raunchiest scenerio as to how this would happen. She's been
called Hot Lips ever since. We basically just try to embarass them. Not
for our own benefit, but so when we're gone, the tradition continues.
Another big thing is putting make-up on the guys during competitions and
band functions. Pretty funny! That's all the ideas I have!!!

Danni
TWHS '97

Kevin R Tracy

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

At my old High School, we, the upperclassmen, went to the freshmen's homes
(with their parents consent of course. All parents were happy to
coopperate.) early in the morning (like 6am) and drug the Freshmen out of
bed and took them away still in their PJ's (or at least some decent atire
to wear in public) We then took them to a do it yourself carwash and gave
them all "showers" after that, we lined them up and made them march to a
24 hour supermarket where they were made to march through frozen foods
(still wet) and then out. While they were marching, one of the section
leaders grabbed a big bag of fruit loops and lots of milk. We then marched
them back to a upperclass home while they sang thier individual show parts.
At the house of the upperclassman, they all had to eat cereal from a bowl
using no hands. I was fortunate enough to have moved in at the begining of
my Junior year so this never happened to me :^)

Chris Beason

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Is initiation really needed? I mean, you have a group of freshmen who are
new to the school and basically clueless, and you are hazing them for
wanting to be in an organization. To me that doesn't show much class at
all. If you can come up with one good reason why humiliation in this form
is good for the performance of a marching band I will be surprised. And
the old "It was done to us so we can do it" saying doesn't work here.

If you really wanted to be leaders and have a proud organization, treat
you members with respect and be model.

Chris Beason
Saxophone Section Leader
University of Illinois Marching Illini

David Ostertag

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Hazing is illegal and also a good way to get your membership to drop.

Dave

Scott M. Caster

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Could we not mention initiation on this NG anymore please. Every time
someone does the bleeding heart liberals on the group get on their soap
box about equaltiy, friendship, respect for your fellow human being,
legal matters, and other various and sundry BS that is a real bore.

-Scott Caster

Baritone Saxophone:
Grove City Symphonic Band
Grove City Jazz Ensemble I
Columbus Youth Jazz Ensemble

Chris Beason

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

Well Scott, I'm sorry that this bores you. But this is a problem that
occurs in quite a few bands. If you're not concerned about the negative
aspects that come out of this then you might want to think about it a
while. Maybe you don't see it as a problem but tell the freshman getting
showered in shaving cream, walking down the street with their trousers
down, being screamed at that it is no big deal. That is VERY mild
compared to the stuff I have heard and seen.

If you have a problem with this I will be glad to discuss the matter with
you.

Ben Reuben

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Chris Beason <c-be...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.97010...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu>...

> Is initiation really needed? I mean, you have a group of freshmen who are

> new to the school and basically clueless, and you are hazing them for
> wanting to be in an organization. To me that doesn't show much class at
> all. If you can come up with one good reason why humiliation in this form

> is good for the performance of a marching band I will be surprised. And
> the old "It was done to us so we can do it" saying doesn't work here.
>
> If you really wanted to be leaders and have a proud organization, treat
> you members with respect and be model.
>

> Chris Beason
> Saxophone Section Leader
> University of Illinois Marching Illini

I think that I have to agree with Chris on this one. I think that the
whole attitude toward incoming freshmen should be to welcome and make them
feel comfortable with everyone so they can feel like part of the group.
Then the band can work better as a group and everyone benefits. To
humiliate them just ostracizes them and that isn't classy. I'm in the UCLA
marching band and we have a policy of no hazing for new members. As stated
in the handbook, "If an older member tells you to cluck like a chicken, you
can tell him or her were they can put their chicken." I have a friend who
was in the band at a certain rival school of ours (who shall remain
nameless) and he said that it was non-stop hazing for new members. He said
he didn't feel welcome at all and he hated it so much that he quit after
the first performance. Judging from the overall quality of this band, I'd
say that this attitude isn't helping them much. I know that these are
college bands, but I think it applies to high school as well. I think that
for many people, the transition to high school can be very intimidating.
If they are able to meet people and feel like part of a group before school
even starts, it just makes it that much easier, and no sort of hazing or
"initiation" helps this transition

Ben Reuben
UCLA Bruin Marching Band

OStateMan

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Well i personaly don't see a problem with a little fun. My band welcomes
all freshmen with open arms, but, we do have a little fun with them, it's
not that bad, but its fun to watch: we make the freshmen sing "we love you
seinors" and do some stupid dance. My freshmen year we had to geyt down on
our knees while singing. This year we made them do the Macarana (but still
sing we love you seinors).

Karie Camp

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97
I agree w/you on this. The seniors(including me) welcome the freshmen
and work hard to be good freinds w/them. We want to make sure our band
has the right attitude, and that we all get along. But there are some
"youngsters" that just can't quite seem to get the flow of things, and
they usually are initiated. This is usually done on our Spring Trip(we
go to compete in another state somewhere) or during our end of the year,
unchaperoned Band Banquet. I know one guy who is a junior who has been
initiated every year since he was a freshman. The worst thing I saw
happen to him was that the guys saran-wrapped him to a basketball pole
about 4 feet off the ground, and all the band members at the banquet
sprayed him with water guns. Usually, in my band, the guys get the
fr.guys, and the girls get the fr. girls. It is all in fun, and usually
to someone that they have realy gotten to know(or just happen to share a
hotel room with). Our pranks are starting to get redundant, though,
because they usually involve saran-wrap and shaving cream. I like the

we make the freshmen sing "we love you
> seinors" and do some stupid dance. This year we made them do the Macarana (but still

> sing we love you seinors).
Karie

CFT925

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

I also agree that initiations, if handled correctly, can be a lot of fun
and lead to positive outcomes. Like pledging for a fraternity or
sorority, initiations provide the opportunity for the freshmen to become
closer to each other as well as the upperclassmen. When I was initiated
many years ago, I was proud after it was over because I was officially
"in". I also kept thinking to myself during the initiation that I would
get to do this to someone next year.

Chris Beason

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Well, being a member of a college fraternity and a member of band, I can
say first hand that initiations had nothing to do with the outcome of the
incoming student. In the fraternity, when I was a freshman, there was an
initiation ritual which, the past few semesters, has been done away with.
These groups that came in without the ritual were no different than any
other group. In fact, they were more supportive to new students than the
older guys. This made more people want to join the organization.
Initiation has no postive effects for a student. There is nothing to be
proud about when you humiliate someone...

CFT925

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Dman

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.970114...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu>,
Chris Beason <c-be...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Well, being a member of a college fraternity and a member of band, I can
> say first hand that initiations had nothing to do with the outcome of the
> incoming student. In the fraternity, when I was a freshman, there was an
> initiation ritual which, the past few semesters, has been done away with.
> These groups that came in without the ritual were no different than any
> other group. In fact, they were more supportive to new students than the
> older guys. This made more people want to join the organization.
> Initiation has no postive effects for a student. There is nothing to be
> proud about when you humiliate someone...

Well said! It should also be pointed out that initiations can very easily
lead to abuse if not well controlled. There are always a few sadistic
individuals that get their kicks from emotionally (and perhaps physically)
torturing other people. Initiations are just too hard to control from an
administrative perspective. Better that there be a "skills test" to become
a fully participating member of the band.

pottergamero...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2014, 6:30:47 PM7/29/14
On Sunday, July 21, 1996 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, O.G. Marti wrote:
> Does anyone have any really good ideas for freshmen initiation? I'm going to
> be a senior and band camp is next month and I really want to torture some fresh
> meat. Post or e-mail
>
> thanx,
> MTFBWY
>
> -jjm-

I'm a junior< and the kind of "initiation" we usually do at my school is pretty low key. No public humiliation or physical dangers, we just have every class group together for a picture starting with the seniors(this was my freshmen year) and as the next class went, the upperclassmen went into the band room. Once it was time for the freshmen, the drum major called us to attention and then said "okay now smile for the picture" and then everybody burst out of the band room with a cooler filled with water, water balloons, silly string, water guns, and bags of sugar that they dumped on us. (they were going to do flour but there were some people with gluten allergies.) It was all really fun, and everyone got Popsicles afterwards, so no harm done!

mandel...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2014, 8:32:24 PM8/8/14
How about you eat a pile of dog poop. And then if you could just go ahead and refrain from speaking that would be great.

doita...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2015, 8:54:44 PM3/21/15
"Torturing" the freshmen is definately not a good idea, because if you want respect, you have to give respect first. Whoever came up with those rituals, must have been severely bullied early in their life. So please do not in any way emotionally or physically haze them. They are regular human beings just like you.

paulg...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2019, 2:56:42 PM10/16/19