Interactive Fiction Author Resorts to Panhandling

401...@comhem.se

Sep 22, 2015, 3:20:32 AM9/22/15
https://www.patreon.com/adamcadre?ty=p

Is this a wider issue? Are there more interactive fiction authors who suffer penury, or is Adam unusually shiftless?

http://adamcadre.ac/calendar/14/14947.html

Having squandered his educational advantages, he discovered at the age of forty that he was an ordinary little man with a tiny income, eking out his existence with cyberbegging. I guess his interactive fiction career, which so dramatically improved his sex life, didn't improve his financial independence.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/17/1285540/-My-experience-with-Obamacare

In the dailykos article he brags that he occasionally makes "eleventy-four gazillion dollars." Why not save a fraction of these gazillions for future medical payments?

Should Adam post images of his medical bills online? How do we know he's not another Teresa Milbrandt?

Peter Pears

Sep 22, 2015, 7:53:10 AM9/22/15
The funny thing is, Pudlo, you're always going after the same guys. There are *much* more recogniseable names to newcomers of IF to troll now. Get with the times, man!

401...@comhem.se

Sep 25, 2015, 12:27:52 PM9/25/15
Three years ago Adam released _Endless, Nameless_, a game where I feature as a troll guarding a bridge. The troll has my own lines, by which I mean *literally* my own lines. Adam was too lazy to pen the troll's dialogue, so the troll quotes my work. Needless to say, I was deeply touched. Here's a man who can't pay his (modest) medical bills, and yet he has time writing a game about me. He's suffering kidney failure, but instead of getting a job so he pay for his blood tests, he chooses to continue this silly feud. I know it's been three years, and it probably looks like one of those 80s action movies where the guys exchange blows in ultra-slow-motion, but I've noticed the game only recently. Just letting it go would be disrespectful to Adam, not to mention that I have a reputation to think of. And the very thought of poor Adam not being able to afford dialysis, suffering horrible pain, and still picking a fight with me sweetens my morning cereals.

Now that I've seen his beggar's pitch, I must say I'm impressed by the level of Cadre's delusion. Does he really think that he hasn't published anything for the last fifteen years because of the financial crisis of 2008?

So yeah, I get your point, Adam Cadre is a has-been. But he still cares about me, and that makes me all mushy on the inside.

Peter Pears

Sep 26, 2015, 6:40:25 AM9/26/15
I don't know about that. If I were to make a game that featured a boil on my bum, and used my personal experiences with that boil, it wouldn't mean I cared about that boil. Possibly I was so up to *here* with that boil that, when it came time for me to think of something disgusting and hideous and grotesque, that boil was on the forefront of my mind, so I just used it for that purpose.

Also, I think you'd already achieved immortality even before Endless, Nameless. That immortality got you banned and ensured that no one took you seriously. So, congrats, I guess.

401...@comhem.se

Sep 26, 2015, 10:23:15 AM9/26/15
Normally one would have the boil removed. The snag is that the boil is a better writer than oneself, so one plagiarises the boil. Then one opts for not removing the boil, because the pain it gives is a pleasure compared to the terror of its absence. What would there be without the boil? A blog where one laments one's poverty and the rudeness of uncaring physicians? A jejune novel that flopped fifteen years ago and which one is rewriting for reasons unclear even to oneself?

Can you you imagine the panic and the terror of a man having to restart his life in his forties? Can you imagine someone so abjectly lonely, his idea of a political discussion is eavesdropping on people having a political discussion in a supermarket and writing about that thrilling experience on his blog? What Adam doesn't realise is that this terror is a gift from the gods. He should tap into it and let it inform his writing instead of wasting his time on rewriting a high school novel.

Peter Pears

Sep 27, 2015, 8:46:06 AM9/27/15
Yes, that's pretty much what I would imagine the boil saying in its defence. You've nailed it, allright.

By the way, you've probably realised that I'm hardly the most stimulating conversationalist. You won't find in me the acerbic wit that characterises Robb Sherwin, for instance. Or the cheerful, playful, sometimes almost adolescent but most entertaining way in which Thornton used to put you in your place. You won't even find someone who will seriously try to converse with you about whatever points may make.

But I'm the only one who'll still bother to reply to you at all, because I never saw you at the height of your trolling; by the came I came by you were generally reviled, and soon after people just stopped taking you seriously. Without the stigma of any past accusations and inflammations, I find you entertaining. You're a little Furby, coming around every so often when you recharge your batteries, demanding attention. Well, you've got me and probably not much else, because you're an easy plaything; easily dismissed.

So really, when you take all of that in consideration, Adam Cadre's achievements far outweigh yours. Except in your head, of course, but let's not go into detail about *that*, hmm?

Peter Pears

Sep 27, 2015, 8:50:16 AM9/27/15
PS - There was actually a time when I tried to converse with you rationally about the things you were saying. And there was actually a time when you stopped just short of trolling (your "interviews" posted at IntFiction back then were a glimpse of what your non-trolling self might be like - all of the vitriol, but no actual direct attack. People could live with that). Ah, the memories. We were young and we didn't know better.

BTW, I just realised who you remind me off - Belkar Bitterleaf. And if you don't know the reference, and feel a webcomic like The Order Of The Stick is beneath you, well, again I say - it seems I'm the only one who'll bother to talk to you right now. So you're stuck my references.

Adam Thornton

Sep 29, 2015, 1:25:58 PM9/29/15
In article <db4eaf70-dda6-4b37...@googlegroups.com>,
Peter Pears <peter...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Or the cheerful, playful,
>sometimes almost adolescent but most entertaining way in which Thornton
>used to put you in your place.

"Almost adolescent."

Must try harder.

Unless, hey, here's a thought, I was coming across as eight rather than
twelve. Given how much I like poop jokes maybe that's the case!

Adam

401...@comhem.se

Oct 4, 2015, 6:11:24 AM10/4/15
Begging: I am hungry. Give me money so I can buy food.

Crowd-funding: I am listless. Give me money so I can be vaguely creative and make a pile of stuff no one asked me to make. By the way, I make eleventy-four gazillion dollars, so I'm probably better off than you, but I want your money anyway.

It takes a special kind of talent to be mediocre. Not everyone can cope with the routine and confinement of office work. If you lack the talent for mediocrity, and have no talent for being talented, and are too boastful to be a successful beggar, you're left with being this vague handyman who makes stuff no one is interested in.

Peter Pears

Oct 4, 2015, 7:14:09 AM10/4/15
You tire me now. Run along to wherever you hibernate, you're dismissed.

Richard Bos

Oct 4, 2015, 11:40:38 AM10/4/15
401...@comhem.se wrote:

> It takes a special kind of talent to be mediocre.

If it does, Jakey, you certainly have that talent by the potato-sacks.

Richard

401...@comhem.se

Oct 5, 2015, 10:13:33 AM10/5/15
Den söndag 4 oktober 2015 kl. 13:14:09 UTC+2 skrev Peter Pears:
> You tire me now. Run along to wherever you hibernate, you're dismissed.

Interactive fiction is like a little animal left somewhere to die and I come now and then and I hope that it's dead but it's still twitching and breathing and I have no idea how to put it out of its misery. So no, I will not be dismissed. I will come back and I will witness your death and I will not let you die alone.

401...@comhem.se

Oct 5, 2015, 11:01:11 AM10/5/15
Richard Bos:
> If it does, Jakey, you certainly have that talent by the potato-sacks.
>
> Richard

Mediocrity isn't tragic enough. Dissipations is. Dissipation is the process by which something becomes nothing. It is the process by which a twenty-six-year-old novelist becomes a forty-one-year-old beggar. Mediocrity would solve Adam's problems, but it is something he can only dream of now. His patrons, the people who pay his monthly alms, are the mediocrities. They are the ones with the professional titles. He's the middle-aged man who depends on the kindness of strangers to rewrite a high school novel. Remember?

namekuseijin

Dec 21, 2015, 5:56:35 PM12/21/15
I know Pudlo has his lifelong grudges and doesn't seem to care much beyond it, but I think it'd be a fun read his thoughts about the current IF scene in the hands of the hipster clickable twitter fiction folks...

Peter Pears

Dec 25, 2015, 6:13:53 AM12/25/15
He doesn't even like *parser* IF, why would anyone what to know what he thinks of the current state of parser + choice IF?

namekuseijin

Dec 27, 2015, 6:59:49 AM12/27/15
despite being a troll with a grudge against authors and sporting a huge ad hominem mace, I think he used to raise some interesting points about the validity of IF as a genuine medium for literature, or more often, its usual lack of merits thereof.

choice and clickable fiction have mostly solved the long standing war between narrative and crosswords by conquering the former and vanquishing the latter and imposed a democratic order by means of players votes affecting statistics-based gameplay. Far too bureaucratic to my liking, I very much preferred being given orders by the sarge and finding a way through the missions.

Peter Pears

Dec 28, 2015, 8:06:50 AM12/28/15
On Sunday, 27 December 2015 11:59:49 UTC, namekuseijin wrote:
> despite being a troll with a grudge against authors and sporting a huge ad hominem mace, I think he used to raise some interesting points about the validity of IF as a genuine medium for literature, or more often, its usual lack of merits thereof.

He did, at at his best he was interesting to read, but his idea of "literature" as applied to IF was highly destructive; he wasn't just critical of the works he perceived as not being good enough, he was activelly destructive, and didn't even acknowledge the good things the work did, or that in order to get to the literary IF he wanted so much there are intermediate steps we have to go through.

Taken together with all the bile, he's not someone the community needs. Poster, aka Ambershards, was a lot more useful, even if he was acerbic too - he was extremely critical and dismissive, but you could tell it was because he respected and admired the genre. Pudlo's rethoric consisted of him putting everyone down for not writing the IF he thought should be written.

Sure, if you're shooting everything in sight you'll hit a few targets, but you're obviously going to be shot back at.

Tell you what, though, just like a bad penny, he keeps turning up.