IF engine as a javascript library?

wileyw...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2015, 11:19:23 PM11/28/15
I like the ease of writing Inform 7 but I am frustrated by how hard it is to change the standard text-parser input/ text and figures only output. Even using a pure javascript interpreter like Quixe, an inform story is still kind of in a black box, and it's difficult to even add hyperlinks to output, much less do something radical, like add a roguelike style map, or replace the text parser input with buttons.

Are there any interactive fiction tools that exist as say, a javascript library that could be combined with other resources, running outside of a virtual machine, so that the story could interact with other DOM elements, and the textual part of the game could be built upon?

Robin Johnson

Nov 29, 2015, 11:41:44 AM11/29/15
On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 4:19:23 AM UTC, wileyw...@gmail.com wrote:

> Are there any interactive fiction tools that exist as say, a javascript library
> that could be combined with other resources, running outside of a virtual
> machine, so that the story could interact with other DOM elements, and the
> textual part of the game could be built upon?

I don't know about combining it with other resources, but I've implemented an IF engine in Javascript at http://versificator.net . The data structures are a bit weird (I know more Javascript now than I did when I wrote it) but it could do any DOM manipulation that Javascript is allowed to do. Feel free to poke around in the source.

Robin Johnson

wileyw...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2015, 1:08:47 PM11/29/15
Cool, I'll check it out!