Forgotten classics

John Geoffrey

Apr 18, 2018, 7:28:06 AM4/18/18

What, if any, are the classics of IF that have been forgotten by
everyone?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Happy MAC XL

Apr 18, 2018, 9:57:20 AM4/18/18
I really like Dennis Matheson's The Awakening from 1998! I like H.P Lovecraft and the old Hammer Horrors so it really appeals.

Adam.

Gregory Ewing

Apr 19, 2018, 4:55:15 AM4/19/18
John Geoffrey wrote:
> What, if any, are the classics of IF that have been forgotten by
> everyone?

We don't know, we've forgotten. :-)

--
Greg

Happy MAC XL

Apr 20, 2018, 1:22:26 PM4/20/18
Haha! :)

Richard Bos

May 19, 2018, 12:04:30 PM5/19/18
John Geoffrey <gmk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What, if any, are the classics of IF that have been forgotten by
> everyone?

In the wider world? The Phoenix T/SAL games such as Acheton.

Richard

croc...@btopenworld.com

Sep 20, 2018, 5:00:58 AM9/20/18
Catle Ralf (runs on DosBox); Humbug (likewise); Axe of Kolt and Fortress of Fear by Larry Horsfield (I did a lot of bug fixing on the latter); the Unnkulian games; and I agree with Richard Bos re Acheton, Quondam, Hezarin and the other Phoenix games.

clima...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2018, 11:03:53 PM9/23/18
Probably much too recent but I feel like Mulldoon Legacy is underappreciated - I'm playing now and there seems to be very little praise / discussion given how amazing it is.

virtuadept

Oct 20, 2018, 12:57:21 PM10/20/18
I would be interested in this discussion, as long as you will define "forgotten by everyone"?

If you actually mean "everyone" then statistically I'd say, "All of them".

If you mean "everyone in the IF-community" then I'm too out of touch to know, since I've been away for over a decade.

Which might give me a certain perspective. I suppose. I'm sure some of the classics I've completely missed in the last 14 years ish.

Here's a thread I found search "Interactive Fiction Classics"

https://ask.metafilter.com/169589/What-are-the-classics-of-interactive-fiction

I can personally still remember how Photopia changed my view of what IF was and how it revolutionized the "genre" so to speak. 3:05 also by Adam Cadre was super fun for me.

Andrew Plotkin's Shade is super hard but really cool, as was Spider and Web.

Galatea by Emily Short was enlightening.

What kind of IF do you like?

Story focused?
Lots of characters to interact with?
Puzzle heavy?
Role playing oriented?

What genres of fiction do you like?
Science Fiction (SF)?
Sci-Fi (anything that mixes SF with "supernatural")?
Fantasy?
Mystery?
Drama?
Comedy?
Slice of Life?
Philosophical (things that make you go, "hmm..")?
Romance?
Non-Fiction?

croc...@btopenworld.com

Sep 4, 2019, 4:25:51 PM9/4/19
I would add Dungeon of Dunjin from 1991 that runs on Dosbox; written by Magnus Larsson. A very large, superior quality old skool game.

And try Birmingham IV which has been expanded from the original by the author.