ANN: Spagetti 1.0

Jeroen Goulooze

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
Spagetti Bolognese 1.0 and Spagetti Con Carne 1.0 for te Newton

Spagetti consists of several Newtcard stacks (for the Apple Newton
MessagePad) intended as tools for creating, managing and visualizing a
work of hyperfiction. It is not a tool for creating a game or story
ready to be presented to an audience, but based on the output this
Newtcard stack gives you should be able to. It is a tool that helps you
write a work of hyperfiction and you can use it to create an interactive
scenario. With the aid of the Spagetti Manager you can make a stack
ready for export to present it to other people.

Spagetti Bolognese has two types of cards: Maps and Lists. Spagetti Con
Carne is the smaller brother of the Spagetti Bolognese package: it only
has the List-features. I must confess that both are quiote big. That has
to do with the way Newtcard stores its scripts.

Since spagetti is made in Newtcards (www.nsbasic.com) for the Apple
Newton it will solely work on Apple Newton Messagepads, and only on
Newton Messagepads of the type 2000 and 2100. In theory it could also
work on the Emate 300, but due to the layout I have created (portrait) I
have no stack available for those machines. If someone wants to adapt
the layout for the Emate I am willing to offer that person a helping hand.

I might be the only one who is ever going to use these stacks, but
nonetheless I decided to present them to the Newton community as e-mail
ware. If you use or try the program, send me an email and tell me what
you think of it. If you create a game, or work of hyperfiction ready for
publication with it, mention the Newton and Spagetti (with my name) in
the credits. I also would appreciate it if you send me a copy of the
work created.

And there is the Spagetti Manager. The spagetti Manager makes a Spagetti
stack ready for export by exporting the text and links on all the cards
to the Notepad. From there it can be exported to a desktop machine using
NCU or Xport (or you can use Simplemail to send it to other people). You
can choose between HTML-ised export (based on a style-sheet) and text
export. Right now I have no plans for creating an update for Spagetti
Bolognese (except for bug fixes). But I have plans for updating the
Spagetti Manager and adding functionality to it.

Spagetti Bolognese, Spagetti Con Carne and the Spagetti Manager can be
found at:

- http://come.to/jeroen-g
Or go directly to:

- http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Study/3812/spagetti/

Jeroen Goulooze
Groningen, The Netherlands

mailto:jero...@bigfoot.com

Jim Aikin

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, Jeroen, but it's spelled
"spaghetti." If there were a word spelled "spagetti" in Italian, it
would be pronounced with a soft 'g' sound -- "spajetty."

--Jim ('yes, I'm a copy editor') Aikin

Ben Parrish

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
>Sorry to be the one to break it to you, Jeroen, but it's spelled
>"spaghetti." If there were a word spelled "spagetti" in Italian, it
>would be pronounced with a soft 'g' sound -- "spajetty."

Oh, and what if they'd listened to you when they first introduced Cheez
Whiz, huh?

"Um, excuse me guys, but the proper spelling is..."

We'd never have Cheez Whiz(*). Are you prepared to live with that sort
of thing on your conscience?

And what of the children?

(*) or "Cheeze Whiz" or whatever the hell that crap is called.

Jeroen Goulooze

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Well, I thought it a good idea to give an international ring to it (in
Dutch it is sometimes written as spagetti)

Jeroen Goulooze

Jim Aikin wrote:

> Sorry to be the one to break it to you, Jeroen, but it's spelled
> "spaghetti." If there were a word spelled "spagetti" in Italian, it
> would be pronounced with a soft 'g' sound -- "spajetty."

John W. Kennedy

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Ben Parrish wrote:

> >Sorry to be the one to break it to you, Jeroen, but it's spelled
> >"spaghetti." If there were a word spelled "spagetti" in Italian, it
> >would be pronounced with a soft 'g' sound -- "spajetty."
>
> Oh, and what if they'd listened to you when they first introduced Cheez
> Whiz, huh?

Yes, that's as may be, but the fact remains that to anyone who knows the
least bit of Italian, "spagetti" is pronounced "spajetty". As least
"cheez" is pronounced right.

--
-John W. Kennedy
-rri...@ibm.net

Dan Andersson

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In sweden its spelled spagetti!
Hard to know right from wrong, eh?

Magnus Olsson

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <7qjs7f$9kp$1...@cubacola.tninet.se>,

Dan Andersson <rhq...@tninet.se> wrote:
>In sweden its spelled spagetti!
>Hard to know right from wrong, eh?

Yeah...

I think the point is not so much that the author of "Spagetti" can
call his program anything he wants, but that poeple who don't know
that it's the correct Dutch spelling will think that he's misspelled
it, and that people will be frustrated when they search for "Spaghetti"
and don't find it.

--
Magnus Olsson (m...@df.lth.se, zeb...@pobox.com)
------ http://www.pobox.com/~zebulon ------