Best Horror Performances

1 view

magus

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/12/99
In article <19990512210729...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
moss...@aol.com (MosseHood) wrote:

> The Best Horror Acting Performances In No Particular Order:
>
> Ellen Burstyn, The Exorcist (1973)
> Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
> Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
> Anthony Perkins, Psycho (1960)
> Janet Leigh, Psycho (1960)
> Jamie Lee Curtis, Halloween: H20 (1998)
> Sissy Spacek, Carrie (1976)
> Joan Fontaine, Rebecca (1940)
> Jimmy Stewart, Rear Window (1954)

Piper Laurie - Ruby

George C Scott - The Changeling

Robert Powell - Dark Forces (Not really horror, but supernaturally
releated BTW...this movie needs a thread of it's own. Definately on my Top
10 list!), he was also good in Sole Survivor.

Peter O'Toole- The Ruling Class (also, may not be considered horror until
about 1/2 - 3/4 the way through the movie.)

--
"We're here to enforce the law for the landlords, businessmen, and [alumnus that donate more than $10,000] to [Iowa State University]...Students need to realize this before they bitch and waste our time." --paraphrased comment made by Ames Police Officer--

paghat

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/12/99
In article <19990512210729...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
moss...@aol.com (MosseHood) wrote:

> The Best Horror Acting Performances In No Particular Order:
>
> Ellen Burstyn, The Exorcist (1973)

Oh poo.

> Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Oh poo. Jodie's the worst thing in her self-produced films. I like her
anyway -- she's a dyke after all -- but her presence isn't very powerful.

> Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Oh poo. An overrated piece of overacting in an annoying film.

> Anthony Perkins, Psycho (1960)

yup. king of the sissies.

> Janet Leigh, Psycho (1960)

purdy good. she did everything required & left nothin' out.
but perkins transcended.

> Jamie Lee Curtis, Halloween: H20 (1998)

purdy good. and she was VERY purdy.

> Sissy Spacek, Carrie (1976)

yup. princess of the maniacs. her mum was great too.

> Joan Fontaine, Rebecca (1940)

purdy good. but the fiery light in the windows was better than the star.

> Jimmy Stewart, Rear Window (1954)

yup. and burr wadn't bad neither.

> I know I'm forgetting a bunch but I have to go so feel free to add more
> Ad2am

MosseHood

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/13/99
The Best Horror Acting Performances In No Particular Order:

Ellen Burstyn, The Exorcist (1973)

Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Anthony Perkins, Psycho (1960)
Janet Leigh, Psycho (1960)

Jamie Lee Curtis, Halloween: H20 (1998)

Sissy Spacek, Carrie (1976)
Joan Fontaine, Rebecca (1940)

Jimmy Stewart, Rear Window (1954)

I know I'm forgetting a bunch but I have to go so feel free to add more
Ad2am
"I almost lost my nose...and I like it. I like breathing through it."
-Jack Nicholson, Chinatown

Gene-Michael Higney

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/13/99
magus <ma...@yebb.com> wrote in message

>In article <19990512210729...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
>moss...@aol.com (MosseHood) wrote:
>
>> The Best Horror Acting Performances In No Particular Order:
>>
>> Ellen Burstyn, The Exorcist (1973)
>> Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
>> Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
>> Anthony Perkins, Psycho (1960)
>> Janet Leigh, Psycho (1960)
>> Jamie Lee Curtis, Halloween: H20 (1998)
>> Sissy Spacek, Carrie (1976)
>> Joan Fontaine, Rebecca (1940)
>> Jimmy Stewart, Rear Window (1954)
>
>Piper Laurie - Ruby
>
>George C Scott - The Changeling
>
>Robert Powell - Dark Forces (Not really horror, but supernaturally
>releated BTW...this movie needs a thread of it's own. Definately on my Top
>10 list!), he was also good in Sole Survivor.

Hello Magus: I'm so glad you mentioned Robert Powell in DARK FORCES! He
was superb! I saw it at a pre-release screening when it was still under the
title HARLEQUIN. Excellent film (I thought they did so much with a
relatively low budget) but it was the acting that put it over.

B J Kuehl

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/13/99
MosseHood wrote:

> Ellen Burstyn, The Exorcist (1973)
> Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
> Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
> Anthony Perkins, Psycho (1960)
> Janet Leigh, Psycho (1960)
> Jamie Lee Curtis, Halloween: H20 (1998)
> Sissy Spacek, Carrie (1976)
> Joan Fontaine, Rebecca (1940)
> Jimmy Stewart, Rear Window (1954)
>
> I know I'm forgetting a bunch but I have to go so feel free to add more

I would like to add Ruth Gordon for her role as Minnie Castevet
in Rosemary's Baby.

BJ

magus

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/13/99
In article <7he58e$o8b$1...@remarQ.com>, "Gene-Michael Higney"
<shi...@dancris.com> wrote:

> magus <ma...@yebb.com> wrote in message
> >In article <19990512210729...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
> >moss...@aol.com (MosseHood) wrote:
> >
> >> The Best Horror Acting Performances In No Particular Order:
> >>

> >Robert Powell - Dark Forces (Not really horror, but supernaturally
> >releated BTW...this movie needs a thread of it's own. Definately on my Top
> >10 list!), he was also good in Sole Survivor.
> >
> Hello Magus: I'm so glad you mentioned Robert Powell in DARK FORCES! He
> was superb! I saw it at a pre-release screening when it was still under the
> title HARLEQUIN. Excellent film (I thought they did so much with a
> relatively low budget) but it was the acting that put it over.

One time Siskel and Ebert did a show called "If We Owned A Theatre" and
gave a listing of which movies they'd love to show all the time.

Dark Forces was one of them which they both agreed was great and didn't
need to rely on the special effects.

Check the following link and you can see the original movie poster.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0080842

Now...here's some bizarre info I just looked up.

The young boy was named Alex Rast, right? Well, if that's the case then he
was played by Mark Spain and also appeared in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome!
*laugh* (He played Mr. Skyfish)

Will have to look for him next time it's on TBS. ;)

ray...@my-dejanews.com

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/15/99

These are in no particular order, either.

From THE EXORCIST (1973), both Jason Miller and Lee J. Cobb. I don't
think either were nominated for Oscars for their performances (a crime)
which helped ground the movie and made the demonic possession even more
terrifying.

Michael Moriarty in Q (1982). As far as I know, the first example of
method acting in a horror film ... and damned good method acting, too!
Moriarty's performance adds a lot to an already fun movie about a giant
flying serpent (an ancient Aztec deity) dining in Manhattan.

Sigourney Weaver in ALIEN (1979) and ALIENS (1986). Some will argue
over whether these are horror movies or not. In my opinion, they're
horror movies disguised as science fiction, and they both scare the
hell out of me. Weaver's performance in each is as powerful as the
expensive special effects.

Vincent Price in THE CONQUEROR WORM (1968). There's none of Price's
usual smirky hamming-it-up here. He plays it straight and elicits real
chills as sinister Witchfinder General Matthew Hopkins.

Amanda Donahoe in LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM (1988). Sexy *and* menacing.

Gary Oldman in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992). I find that many disagree
with me on this, but I thought Oldman's rich and layered performance
was very refreshing after decades of pretty much the same old thing.

Marilyn Burns in THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974). In what is
already a wildly grotesque and disturbing movie, Burns generates terror
in her performance that becomes contagious.

Boris Karloff in THE BLACK CAT (1934). Although still remembered for
his great performance in FRANKENSTEIN (he's still the best Monster), a
few years later, Karloff played a very sinister Satanic cult leader
(and, it's hinted, necropheliac) in this surreal, ahead-of-it's-time
horror film directed by Edgar G. Ulmer. Karloff proves he doesn't need
heavy prosthetics to be scary.

Julie Harris in THE HAUNTING (1963). Harris manages to be pathetic and
*sympathetic* at the same time as a psychologically unstable spinster
becoming aware of her repressed homosexuality in a haunted house.

Roddy McDowall in FRIGHT NIGHT (1985). As the charming but washed-up
host of a horror movie TV show, McDowall makes this fun teen horror
movie even more fun for adults. Often over-the-top, McDowall is more
low-key here, and marvelously enjoyable.

Bette Davis in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE (1962). With all that
makeup on her face, Bette starts out ugly, then gets scarier and
scarier as she loses it and begins torturing her crippled sister.
Davis relished this role (one reason was that she despised Joan
Crawford) and she owns every scene she's in.

Michael Rooker in HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1989). Whether
or not this movie worked hinged on the lead performance. Rooker hits
all the right notes -- most of them very quiet and somewhat flat --
from beginning to end.

Dee Wallace in CUJO (1983). Once trapped in that Pinto with the rabid
St. Bernard just outside, Wallace's ouststanding performance makes the
situation much more harrowing than it would have been in the hands of a
lesser actress. And while I'm at it, that dog gave a pretty convincing
performance, too!

The title cast of FREAKS (1932). They don't get scary until the end,
but they carry the movie beautifully throughout.

I could go on ... but I won't. :-)

Ray Garton

MosseHood

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/16/99
>From THE EXORCIST (1973), both Jason Miller and Lee J. Cobb. I don't
>think either were nominated for Oscars for their performances (a crime)

Miller was nominated

paghat

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/16/99
In article <7hkmb2$hq7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, ray...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Michael Moriarty in Q (1982). As far as I know, the first example of
> method acting in a horror film ... and damned good method acting, too!
> Moriarty's performance adds a lot to an already fun movie about a giant
> flying serpent (an ancient Aztec deity) dining in Manhattan.

And any other film with Moriarity in it will have at least one good thing
about it.

> Vincent Price in THE CONQUEROR WORM (1968). There's none of Price's
> usual smirky hamming-it-up here. He plays it straight and elicits real
> chills as sinister Witchfinder General Matthew Hopkins.

Vincent's always cool but usually so hammy he's hard to take seriously
even while enjoying him. Yet in CONQUEROR WORM he is truly frightening &
it is a flawless & not at all hammy performance.

> Gary Oldman in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992). I find that many disagree
> with me on this, but I thought Oldman's rich and layered performance
> was very refreshing after decades of pretty much the same old thing.

The "buttocks hairdo" & other laughable elements of his "design" were
severe impositions hard to overcome. He's a great actor but was lost in
too many conflicting cinematic excesses. He was fiendish in the dinner
sequence but great "moments" did not adhere scene to scene. He was best as
a heroic, doomed knight in the opening sequences, as an actor he took
command of those scenes & became bigger than life. But thereafter his
radical changes scene by scene forced him to re-build credibility from
scratch in almost every scene. Not an actor in the world could've done so
well, but even he could not fully transcend that mess.

> Roddy McDowall in FRIGHT NIGHT (1985). As the charming but washed-up
> host of a horror movie TV show, McDowall makes this fun teen horror
> movie even more fun for adults. Often over-the-top, McDowall is more
> low-key here, and marvelously enjoyable.

I love him in anything. He always seems to be enjoying himself, & I enjoy
seeing him have a good time entertaining us.

> Bette Davis in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE (1962). With all that
> makeup on her face, Bette starts out ugly, then gets scarier and
> scarier as she loses it and begins torturing her crippled sister.
> Davis relished this role (one reason was that she despised Joan
> Crawford) and she owns every scene she's in.

A great actress, in her prime a unique beauty, many an actress would have
regarded that last series of films that began with BABY JANE as a complete
humiliation, reliant as these roles were on what had become a frightening
appearance with every trade of her former beauty ravaged by cigarettes &
age. But she was willing to become a screen-monster & threw herself into
it with a profound gusto, making her an admirable actress to the end.

> Dee Wallace in CUJO (1983). Once trapped in that Pinto with the rabid
> St. Bernard just outside, Wallace's ouststanding performance makes the
> situation much more harrowing than it would have been in the hands of a
> lesser actress. And while I'm at it, that dog gave a pretty convincing
> performance, too!

It's one of the best King adaptations but in the book the kid died.

> The title cast of FREAKS (1932). They don't get scary until the end,
> but they carry the movie beautifully throughout.

They are such a positive family for the bulk of the film that becoming
monstrous at the end is not completely convincing. How, really, did they
transform their enemy into Chicken Woman?? That part was just irrational.
But wonderful performances all around & one of the few films I can see
again & again.

-paghat

Dr Walpurgis

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/16/99

MosseHood wrote:

> I know I'm forgetting a bunch but I have to go so feel free to add more...

I won't even begin to draw up a list, but I've got to mention Joe Pilato
in DAY OF THE DEAD.

_______________________________________
Se questo website non ti spaventa
...sei giĆ  morto!
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/3390

synthuser

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/16/99
ray...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Roddy McDowall in FRIGHT NIGHT (1985). As the charming but washed-up
> host of a horror movie TV show, McDowall makes this fun teen horror
> movie even more fun for adults. Often over-the-top, McDowall is more
> low-key here, and marvelously enjoyable.

Yes! I'm watching both FN1 and FN2 tonight. :)

Synthuser

--
"This film can not be shown within the city of Flint.
All the movie theaters have been closed."

Carla Pettigrew

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/17/99
magus <ma...@yebb.com> wrote:

> George C Scott - The Changeling

My vote, hands-down.

Aside: Is this one of the first movies where we see a man's open tears
onscreen?

O:) Carla

--
And it lurks. And it will devour.
_Naomi_, Douglas Clegg

synthuser

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/17/99
magus wrote:

> George C Scott - The Changeling

Yes. One of my favorites. :)

--
"This film can not be shown within the city of Flint.
All the movie theaters have been closed"

http://www.sonic.net/~bnsdias

magus

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/17/99
In article <1drxwgo.mx...@user-2ivevbk.dialup.mindspring.com>,
screa...@mindspring.com wrote:

> magus <ma...@yebb.com> wrote:
>
> > George C Scott - The Changeling
>

> My vote, hands-down.
>
> Aside: Is this one of the first movies where we see a man's open tears
> onscreen?
>
> O:) Carla

In the movies? no. (Valentino and Chaplin did it.)

In horror movies? maybe.

Carla Pettigrew

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/19/99
magus <ma...@yebb.com> wrote:

> In article <1drxwgo.mx...@user-2ivevbk.dialup.mindspring.com>,
> screa...@mindspring.com wrote:
>
> > magus <ma...@yebb.com> wrote:
> >
> > > George C Scott - The Changeling
> >
> > My vote, hands-down.
> >
> > Aside: Is this one of the first movies where we see a man's open tears
> > onscreen?
>

> In the movies? no. (Valentino and Chaplin did it.)

Aha. Gotcha.

> In horror movies? maybe.

I think so. I could be wrong. . .

Steve Frost

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/19/99
Shelly Duval - the shining (the only bad thing in it was her)

any1 think of another one?

MosseHood <moss...@aol.com> wrote in message

> The Best Horror Acting Performances In No Particular Order:
>

> Ellen Burstyn, The Exorcist (1973)
> Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
> Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
> Anthony Perkins, Psycho (1960)
> Janet Leigh, Psycho (1960)
> Jamie Lee Curtis, Halloween: H20 (1998)
> Sissy Spacek, Carrie (1976)
> Joan Fontaine, Rebecca (1940)
> Jimmy Stewart, Rear Window (1954)
>

> I know I'm forgetting a bunch but I have to go so feel free to add more

paghat

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/19/99
In article <7hv80l$nt3$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Steve Frost"
<fro...@houseoffrost.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Shelly Duval - the shining (the only bad thing in it was her)

Born to play Olive Oil.

> any1 think of another one?

Really bad acting is such "a rule" in B horror that stand-out bad acting
is a tough call. The old ladies in RABID GRANNIES sure stank, not helped
by bad dubbing, & just about everyone who ever played a zombie extra. Or
everyone EXCEPT Johnnie Depp & Vincent Price in EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. Or
for a film that should've been cool but the star destroyed it by lazy
acting, Robert Englund as the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA -- not a completely
terrible film but what the fuck did Englund think he was doing?? How about
the often likeable Tom Skerritt in the third POLTERGEIST film? Hard to
tell if he was the biggest stinker in that one since everyone stank & the
only thing that makes it interesting is knowing the swollen-faced girl
really is dying during the filming & is all swollen because some
set-doctor was giving her inappropriate meds. The film is a real sick view
when you know that. Anyone remember a crappy film called CLOWNHOUSE??? I
can't remember who was in it I just remember thinking any film that has a
bunch of psychopaths dressed up as clowns should just inherently be sort
of cool, but the actors were SO lousy it was unwatchably stupid.

I thought of a few great villains over the last couple days too, can't
remember if they were already listed in the Best Villains thread. Angelica
Houstin in THE WITCHES. Hated the film, loved her viciousness. Jonathan
Pryce as Mr Dark in SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, an amazing blend of
physical attractiveness, nervousness, and evil -- when he was ripping the
pages out Robards' book of life, one by one while stalking him, gads that
was creepy. Does BLUE VELVET qualify as horror? Dennis Hopper was a cool
villain. Rutger Hauer as THE HITCHER, again SO creepy because
simultaneously so appealing. Imagine having a psycho buddy like him,
that'd be so nice, except he's psycho, so maybe not. He qualified as a
first-rate amazingly appealing villain in BLADE RUNNER too.

-paghat the ratgirl

magus

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/19/99
In article <7hv80l$nt3$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Steve Frost"
<fro...@houseoffrost.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Shelly Duval - the shining (the only bad thing in it was her)
>

> any1 think of another one?

Uh...Joan Crawford in Trog? ;D

Shiflet

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/19/99
Steve Frost wrote:

> Shelly Duval - the shining (the only bad thing in it was her)
>
> any1 think of another one?

Howling 7-Entire cast
The Fear-Cast
Howling 2-Sybil Danning(and most of the rest of the cast)
Horror of the Zombies-Cast

Danny Shiflet
"I walk the earth, another day
The wicked one, that comes this way
Saviour to my own, devil to some
Mankind falls, something wicked comes"-Matthew Barlow, The Coming Curse

ray...@my-dejanews.com

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/20/99

We're doing Worst Performances now? Okay, I'm game. But first, I want
to add a couple names to my list of Best Performances above. Dwight
Frye in DRACULA (1931) and Charles Laughton in ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
(1933).

Okay, WORST performances ...

Karen Black in BURNT OFFERINGS (1976). It's not a terribly good movie
to begin with (although it's got a couple memorable moments), but
Black's performance brought it down at LEAST one notch. Her attempts
to be seductive were especially laughable.

Two kid performances: Hunter Carson (Karen Black's son...I guess it
runs in the family) in INVADERS FROM MARS (1986), and Danny Lloyd in
THE SHINING (1980).

Robert Englund in THE MANGLER (1995). This movie was a near miss, and
I think that's partly due to Englund's performance in an important
role. I don't think he's a very good actor, anyway ... he is, however,
one of the luckiest men in Hollywood, thanks to the NIGHTMARE ON ELM
STREET series.

That's all for now.

LArry Stanley The Ultimate Fanboy

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/20/99
How about Richard Lynch in Alligator 2? I have always hated fake Southern
Accents, as well as fake Cajun Accents.

In this one, Lynch had trouble deciding which one he wanted to use.

LArry

--
The box said "Windows 95 or better", so I bought a Mac.
Or..

synthuser

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/20/99
Shiflet wrote:
> Steve Frost wrote:
> >
> > Shelly Duval - the shining (the only bad thing in it was her)

Agreed. Terrible casting IMO.

--
"If you steal my apples IMO you are wrong. You disagree?
You think it is right? Explain to me how you stealing

http://www.sonic.net/~bnsdias

Steve Frost

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/20/99

<ray...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

> Two kid performances: Hunter Carson (Karen Black's son...I guess it
> runs in the family) in INVADERS FROM MARS (1986), and Danny Lloyd in
> THE SHINING (1980).

have to disagree here im afraid - Danny Lloyd was pretty good - I'm sure he
was told to overact in some parts by Kubrick, and he was good at looking
scared.

Henrik Larsen

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/21/99
Peter Cushing in "Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell"... just to
name one.
--
Henrik Larsen
horror, giallo & sleaze for trade at:

William R Thompson

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/21/99
So many possibilities. How about "Blood From Dracula's Castle"?
Mid-Sixties, if I recall correctly. It had something to do with
Dracula and his bride living in a castle in Arizona, with John
Carradine as their butler. Mr. and Mrs. Dracula were played as a
suburban couple, with the Count badly henpecked by his boring wife. In
the final scene the vampire hunters have the couple tied up in chairs
to await the dawn; just before the sun comes up the bride turns to the
Count and whines "Honey, *do* something . . . "

--Bill Thompson

ray...@my-dejanews.com

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/21/99
In article <7i1fmj$760$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,

"Steve Frost" <fro...@houseoffrost.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> have to disagree here im afraid - Danny Lloyd was pretty good - I'm
sure he
> was told to overact in some parts by Kubrick, and he was good at
looking
> scared.

I wasn't referring to overacting. Both Danny Lloyd and Hunter Carson
were mumblers. They were very difficult to understand when they
talked, and both sounded like they were adenoidally challenged.
Kubrick told Shelly Duvall to act the way she did, too ... but I hated
her and kept wishing Nicholson *would* bash her brains in.

ray...@my-dejanews.com

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/21/99

LOL! That sounds pretty awful, Bill! And John Carradine! That guy
must have been in every bad horror and sci-fi movie ever made, right up
until he died at the age of 374! And yet he was a great actor.
Remember him in the original STAGECOACH with John Wayne? You've gotta
give him credit for one thing: he was always working.

Speaking of Carradine ... his son Robert has a straight-to-video movie
that just hit the shelf in my local video store. It's called
LYCANTHROPE, and Carradine stars as well as produces. It's shot on
video and BOY does it SUCK! Of course, anything distributed by
DeadAlive Productions sucks ... if I'd seen their label on the box, I
never would have rented it.

J K EATON

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/21/99

ray...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message <7hkmb2$hq7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>i agree wholeheartedly hoowever lets us not forget Jack Nicholson in THE
SHINING....thanks Jen

magus

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/21/99
In article <7i4d43$a78$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, ray...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> LOL! That sounds pretty awful, Bill! And John Carradine! That guy
> must have been in every bad horror and sci-fi movie ever made, right up
> until he died at the age of 374! And yet he was a great actor.
> Remember him in the original STAGECOACH with John Wayne? You've gotta
> give him credit for one thing: he was always working.

Because we was the last of a breed in Hollywood who truly felt...

"There are no small parts, only small actors."

The quentisential horror part would have to be of him and Vincent Price in
The Monster Club. Before that movie I didn't know he could dance. ;)

paghat

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/21/99
In article <7i4v64$1sr$1...@nntp2.uunet.ca>, "J K EATON"
<JEA...@STRATFORD.WEBGATE.NET> wrote:

Every day someoen says THE SHINING (some say it apparently thinking no one
said it yet...) I guess this means everyone likes THE SHINING. I loved
it when it was new, it seemed so stylish & visually "different." But the
camera tricks are now pretty standard & the "style" of the film has become
cliche. That makes it easier to tell it didn't have a whole lot else in
it. I doubt I'll ever want to sit through it again, though to say it's a
bad film would be a terrible exaggeration. Yet Nicholson's over-the-top
performance was hammy rather than scarey & he's done it so often since
that I've come to believe his career has been mainly a downhill ride from
the heights of FIVE EASY PIECES or THE LAST DETAIL to the depths of a
fat-ass werewolf role or an crazy coot who we're supposed to believe could
become the One True Love of a woman young enough to be his granddaughter.
He stinks on celuloid and the root of that stinkiness seems to begin in
the 70s with THE SHINING. As for Olive Oil, well, I have always liked
her, but when she was brought up in the "worst performance" thread for her
face-making in THE SHINING i couldn't bring myself to disagree. In any
case, the moving camera work in its day was so advanced the film was
dazzling -- but in retrospect that was like mistaking the first color
films as fantastically artistic just because they'd all been black & white
before then.

-paghat

B J Kuehl

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/22/99
From article <7i2cnm$6...@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, by wrth...@ix.netcom.com(William R Thompson):

This sounds like a movie worth a MSTing.

BJ

Do you like horror and scifi stories? Do you have IRC access? If so,
perhaps you'd like to join us on EFnet #nightowls for some live chat.
"It's always night somewhere in the world"
- Dracula

ray...@my-dejanews.com

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/22/99

paggersSP...@my-dejanews.com (paghat) wrote:
> that I've come to believe his career has been mainly a downhill ride
> from the heights of FIVE EASY PIECES or THE LAST DETAIL to the depths

> of a fat-ass werewolf role ...

I enjoyed his performance in WOLF (in fact, I enjoyed the whole
movie). I might be a bit partial, though, because of the way his
character sticks it to the conglomerate trying to take over the
publishing house where he works. But I thought it was surprisingly
subdued for Nicholson, and along with his performance in BLOOD AND
WINE (and more recently, AS GOOD AS IT GETS, which I also loved in
*spite* of the annoying age difference), I thought it was his best
work in a long time. Just my two cents. :-)

synthuser

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM5/23/99
ray...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I enjoyed his performance in WOLF (in fact, I enjoyed the whole
> movie). I might be a bit partial, though, because of the way his
> character sticks it to the conglomerate trying to take over the
> publishing house where he works.

Haven't seen Wolf since I saw it in the theater.
Definately worth a rental.

> But I thought it was surprisingly
> subdued for Nicholson, and along with his performance in BLOOD AND
> WINE (and more recently, AS GOOD AS IT GETS, which I also loved in
> *spite* of the annoying age difference), I thought it was his best
> work in a long time. Just my two cents. :-)

I appreciated the quality of the performances but the
age aspect was a major distraction for me.

Synthuser

--
"Australia or bust!"
- Synthuser