Favorite stories for repetitive viewing [Long]

1 view

Chris Rednour

Mar 16, 2001, 5:12:40 PM3/16/01

To be honest the ones I've probably seen the most are An Unearthly Child,
The Web Planet, The War Machines, The Mind Robber, The Dominators,
Spearhead from Space, Inferno, The Silurians, Sea-Devils, The Hand of
Fear, The Twin Dilemma, Vengence on Varos, Greatest Show in the Galaxy and
Ghostlight.

To be honest most of these I've seen repeatedly because I've showed them
to other people; in fact I'm pretty sure I once watched Ghostlight twice,
back-to-back because someone came in during the middle and at the end said
"that was really weird, wind it back so I can try and figure out what was
going on".

Of that set I've probably for my own pleasure watched The Dominators,
Spearhead from Space, Inferno, The Hand of Fear, The Twin Dilemma and
Vengence on Varos.

The Dominators - I love this one, even though everyone I know seem to
think I'm insane for this. Its light its breezy and to me its a great
escape peace, for when I want to forget my worries.

Spearhead from Space - still one of my single most favorite episodes, it
manages to be unlike anything else in the season yet and an enjoyable
thriller all at the same time.

Inferno - one of the few long Pertwee stories I've watched repeatedly -
not because I dislike them, but because I never seem to have the time,
either I don't have time to watch all of it, or if I try to watch it
episodically somewhere something happens, and I miss watching the next
episode for five months and by the time I get back to it I dunno what's
going on. But I make time for Inferno.

The Hand of Fear - probably still one of my favorite Tom Baker episodes.
It starts falling apart around episode 3 but remains watchable until the
end. Never liked the freeze frame though. Now everyone knows why I did
all those illustrations for Charles Daniels' Programme Guide...

The Twin Dilemma - I love this story, the tension and interplay between
the character is some of the best ever in Doctor Who. Sure what's going
on might not make scientific sense, but I'm always able to suspend
disbief over it.

Vengence on Varos - another good gripping 6th Doctor tale. Good use of
suspense in it, I think.

-Chris Rednour

Anne Warfield

Mar 14, 2001, 11:28:28 PM3/14/01
[I tried to send this before without success. Apologies if you get
mulitiple copies!]

There are several Doctor Who stories that are my favorites, not
necessarily because they're brilliant (in fact, a lot of them make
most peoples' Stinker Lists), but because I enjoy watching them over
and over (and over...) again. Some of them are thus Guilty Pleasures,
which I recognize, so no flames please.

Here they are, chronologically--

1. The First Doctor is actually my least favorite (my favorites not
counting McGann start with McCoy & go backwards in order), but these
stories all have my absolute favorite companion, Ian. I adore Ian:
he's brave, grownup, and really really dishy. :)

The Daleks

What I love: It's a classic story, full of menace and heroism. The
characters are beginning to face the reality of having to travel
together. Plus, it's the intro to the most successful monsters that
the series ever had.

The Keys of Marinus

This is one of several stories that I fell in love with through its
novelization. Back when I first became a Who fan, the novelizations
were all I had. There wasn't a station in my area that showed Doctor
Who, & it would be 10 years before I owned (or even had regular access
to) a VCR. If I wanted to experience (or re-experience) a story, I
had to read the novelization.

What I love: The puzzle/quest aspect to it (I'm a sucker for stories
that involve puzzles somehow). The inhospitable nature of the landing
site (glass beaches and an acid sea--cool!). The bit with everyone
but Barbara being caught up in the false luxuries. The screaming
jungle. And, of course, Ian being studly. :)

The Rescue

This one gets watched a lot because (a) it's only 2 episodes, so it's
a short Who fix and (b) it's in the same set with the Romans. Plus, I
am apparently one of the few people on the planet who didn't figure
out Bennett's double identity before it was revealed on-screen.

What I love: the Tardis crew pulling together after Susan's departure.

The Romans

This was not at all what I expected after having read the
novelization. Wow!

What I love: The combination of humor and brooding menace. Ian &
Barbara's story is the one that really draws me in. The scary
situations that they get into counter-balance the over-the-topness of
the Doctor & Vicki's story.

The Chase

What I love: it's very very silly and has Daleks.

2. The Second Doctor

Unfortunately, a lot of these stories are missing, and I've only seen
a few of the ones that remain. There are several that would make this
list, judging from their novelizations, if I could only see them.
::sigh::

Anyway, the one that I've watched repeatedly is

The Tomb Of The Cybermen

What I love: The Doctor's conversation with Victoria about families.
The interactions of the Tardis crew--Jamie, Victoria, and 2ndDoc are
all well balanced & great to watch. The Cybermen awakening. The
menace of the Cybermen--how the heck do you take one of these guys
down? (Quite a contrast to the later Cybermen....)

3. The Third Doctor

Inferno

What I love: Parallel universes. Liz Shaw (I should get more of her
stories on tape). The Evil Brigadier. The Not-Evil Brigadier. The
kick-ass ending to the parallel universe story. I love love love this
story.

Day Of The Daleks

This is one of the first novelizations I got, so I read it over &
over.

What I love: The time travel loop. Daleks. Benton & Yates & Jo &
3rdDoc. Paradoxes.

Death To The Daleks

This story gets slagged off, & probably deservedly so, but once again
this is one where I read and loved the novelization first.

What I love: Sarah Jane is sooo cool. (I named my first car Sarah
Jane. Unfortunately, it gave me nothing but trouble until it died 2
years later.) The puzzle-city of the Exxilons. Daleks!

4. The Fourth Doctor

The Ark In Space (4C)

What I love: The 4thDoc, Sarah Jane, & Harry combo. The menace of
the ridiculous looking (but nonetheless scary) Wirrn. The
shudder-worthy ookiness of the Wirrn larvae and their infectious slime
(eeuuww). The computer defense system that Harry (you idiot!)
triggered.

[Why The Genesis of the Daleks is not on this list: I read the
novelization to bits and listened to the record made from it many many
times. Unfortunately, the televised story kind of drags (IMO, of
course). I do like it, but it's not high on my repetitive viewing
list.]

Pyramids Of Mars

What I love: The Egyptians & Osirians. Sarah Jane wanting to just
leave & get away from it all, but finding that if they do, the future
won't be there anymore.

The Brain Of Morbius

What I love: The Who version of Frankenstein. Sarah Jane being
blinded and managing anyway. The Sisterhood makes me laugh but I love
them anyway. Solon's customizing his Chop Suey monster years before
Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer got the same notion with Adam in the
Initiative storyline.

Masque Of Mandragora

What I love: Renaissance Italy. Great costumes. Sarah Jane
wondering for the first time why she could speak the local language
(and having that being a sign of her possession. Hee!).

The Sun Makers

What I love: Leela is really cool, too. I love the whole taxation
storyline. Usurians--hee!

Destiny Of The Daleks

This is the very first story I saw on screen, at Panopticon West in
Tulsa, OK (early 1980s--anyone remember the year? Some lucky bastard
won a segment of the Key to Time). This was my first glimpse of the
Daleks. When they appeared onscreen, I must have jumped about a foot.
Scary! Mostly because of their voices and the fact that they could
just blast you down where you stood.

What I love: There's a lot of humor mixed with menace. Romana's
regeneration. Daleks! "Bye bye, Davros!" Rock, paper, scissors.
"One for everyday, and one for best."

City Of Death

What I love: This story is just so *funny*. My favorite bits are the
scene the Doctor and Romana with the Countess in her drawing room, and
the bit with John Cleese and Eleanor Bron playing art critic with the
Tardis.

I always did wonder, though: if they could reverse the time bubble &
bring back the chicken after it had been turned to bones, why didn't
they do the same with poor Kerensky?

5. The Fifth Doctor

Black Orchid

The first pure historical in ages!
What I love: It's a short, compact gem. Two Nyssas. The costumes.
Poking very gentle fun at Adric.

Warriors of the Deep

Okay, *yes*, the Myrka looks ridiculous, *yes*, the hexachromite gas
exists only to be a plot device, yes yes yes this has flaws, but I
don't care. I love love love this episode because of the *lines*--

"I'm going to bring a little sunshine into the Myrka's life."
"Perhaps you should ask it nicely to go away."
"Close your eyes and make a wish!"

and of course,

"There should have been another way."

Peter Davison's delivery is just spot on perfect. He sells this story
to me.

(I must say, though, Turlough gives up on him awfully soon--5thDoc's
in the water hardly 30 seconds, & Turlough's shouting at Tegan that
it's too late, he's drowned!)

The Caves of Androzani

What I love: Pretty much everything. 5thDoc & Peri work so well
together! Fast-paced, well knitted storyline, with a couple of the
best cliffhangers *ever*.

6. The Sixth Doctor

I love ColinDoc, but most of his stories don't do it for me. The ones
that did--

Vengeance on Varos

What I love: The whole portrayal of a society that exists only
through television. The loathsome Sil.

The Two Doctors

What I love: Two Doctors for your money! Jamie *and* Peri. Sunny
Spain! Epicurian monsters, and their salivating over the prospect of
some fine Terranian meat. All this and Sontarans too...

7. The Seventh Doctor

Time and the Rani

Yeah, yeah, I know. This is another one I'm supposed to hate. But I
don't.

What I love: The gentle constrast of SylvDoc after ColinDoc. The
mixed-up aphorisms. The trip-traps. The Rani's impersonation of Mel
(and her irritation when she has to play along rather than just
strangle him).

Rememberance of the Daleks

What I love: Ace discovering the dark side of 1963. Daleks! Ace's
supercharged baseball bat. Hints of the Doctor's mysterious nature.
The fact that I could buy a Dalek controller at Spencer's if I wanted
to (who knew that an American mall chain was a secret front for the
Daleks? Cool!). Daleks going up the frigging stairs! Davros (who
surprised only me, it seems). "Unlimited rice pudding!"

The Happiness Patrol

I'd never seen Bertie Bassett before, so the Kandyman didn't bother
me.

What I love: This story works well for me. Whether the metaphor's
really supposed to be about Thatcher England or closeted homosexuality
or what have you, I don't care. It speaks to me. I adore the quiet
moments in this story, particularly the Doctor shooting the breeze
with the bluesman. Ace on stage. Painting the Tardis pink. The
death of Fifi.

The Curse of Fenric

What I love: An all-around great story. Vampires! WWII. Ace's
mother. Ace figuring everything out, always at precisely the wrong
moment to the wrong people. Faith--faith in God, faith in Lenin,
faith in the Doctor. Ace allowing herself to love her mother.

Which are the stories you like to see over & over?

--
Anne Warfield
http://www.goodsol.com/cats/

Jonathan Blum

Mar 15, 2001, 6:43:11 AM3/15/01
In article <3ab144cc...@news.earthlink.net>,
Anne Warfield <indi...@aolcom.founditallanyway> wrote:

[much snipped]

What I love: that post.

More detailed thoughts along those lines to come when I get some spare
time...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

John Long

Mar 15, 2001, 1:49:44 PM3/15/01
Anne Warfield wrote:

(snip for length)

That was a good post.

jL

Gordon

Mar 15, 2001, 2:45:31 PM3/15/01
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 04:28:28 GMT, indi...@aolcom.founditallanyway
(Anne Warfield) wrote:

>[I tried to send this before without success. Apologies if you get
>mulitiple copies!]
>
>There are several Doctor Who stories that are my favorites, not
>necessarily because they're brilliant (in fact, a lot of them make
>most peoples' Stinker Lists), but because I enjoy watching them over
>and over (and over...) again. Some of them are thus Guilty Pleasures,
>which I recognize, so no flames please.
>
>Here they are, chronologically--

I'll add comments to the ones I agree one, along with adding
a few of my personal favourites.

>1. The First Doctor is actually my least favorite (my favorites not
>counting McGann start with McCoy & go backwards in order), but these
>stories all have my absolute favorite companion, Ian. I adore Ian:
>he's brave, grownup, and really really dishy. :)
>
> The Daleks
>
>What I love: It's a classic story, full of menace and heroism. The
>characters are beginning to face the reality of having to travel
>together. Plus, it's the intro to the most successful monsters that
>the series ever had.

It was strange when I first saw this story. I'd grown up with the
Target novelisation (still my favourite) and the Peter Cushing movie,
so honestly wasn't sure what to expect. I loved it, although I'll
admit I'm more likely to re-read the novel or watch the movie than
the TV version in the future. Let's face it, it more or less set the
template for many future stories. They land on an unknown planet,
they get split up, they find the bad guys, they meet the good guys,
they help the good guys beat the bad guys, they leave.

And Hartnell (as always) is wonderful in it!

> The Keys of Marinus
>
>This is one of several stories that I fell in love with through its
>novelization. Back when I first became a Who fan, the novelizations
>were all I had. There wasn't a station in my area that showed Doctor
>Who, & it would be 10 years before I owned (or even had regular access
>to) a VCR. If I wanted to experience (or re-experience) a story, I
>had to read the novelization.
>
>What I love: The puzzle/quest aspect to it (I'm a sucker for stories
>that involve puzzles somehow). The inhospitable nature of the landing
>site (glass beaches and an acid sea--cool!). The bit with everyone
>but Barbara being caught up in the false luxuries. The screaming
>jungle. And, of course, Ian being studly. :)

I finally saw this only a few months ago, after reading the Target
several times. Can't really add much more to what you've said above.
I'd really like to know more about the history of the planet, what
really happened in the past, more about the Voord. We know they're
guys in rubber suits and Yartek's over a thousand years old. It sparks
the imagination, which is almost *always* a good thing.

> The Chase
>
>What I love: it's very very silly and has Daleks.

Nothing more can be said really. Watched this along with half a dozen
friends after a night clubbing along with Rocky Horror. We all enjoyed
it immensely.

>2. The Second Doctor
>
>Unfortunately, a lot of these stories are missing, and I've only seen
>a few of the ones that remain. There are several that would make this
>list, judging from their novelizations, if I could only see them.
>::sigh::

>Anyway, the one that I've watched repeatedly is
>
> The Tomb Of The Cybermen
>
>What I love: The Doctor's conversation with Victoria about families.
>The interactions of the Tardis crew--Jamie, Victoria, and 2ndDoc are
>all well balanced & great to watch. The Cybermen awakening. The
>menace of the Cybermen--how the heck do you take one of these guys
>down? (Quite a contrast to the later Cybermen....)

I love it. The Cybermen can only be destroyed by someone who they've
augmented. How cool was that? The family conversation, the wonderful
"You belong to us. you will become like us." The almost iconic status
of the Cybermen in the story, tombs, legends and they're still really
tall, dwarfing poor Patrick Troughton.

And I still laugh every time I hear Victoria's line: "What are all
these knobs?" :)

I've watched The Dominators a few times, couldn't see why it's been
criticised a lot. The squabbling between the Dominators is hilarious,
the Quarks are cute. I love the whole intelligence test scene,
especially the Doctor's line to Jamie:

"An unintelligent enemy is far less dangerous than an intelligent one
Jamie. Just act stupid, do you think you can manage that?"

>3. The Third Doctor
>
> Inferno
>
>What I love: Parallel universes. Liz Shaw (I should get more of her
>stories on tape). The Evil Brigadier. The Not-Evil Brigadier. The
>kick-ass ending to the parallel universe story. I love love love this
>story.

I can watch any story of Season 7 again and again. Inferno is by
far the best though. It manages seven episodes without flagging once,
has some terrific cliffhangers and builds the tension up *so* much
until it reaches bursting point.

Add The Sea Devils and Green Death to the list. Sea Devils doesn't do
anything new, but does things so well it doesn't matter. And it has
The Clangers in it. Green Death manages to be an ecological terror
story before it became fashionable. I love BOSS, mainly helped by
John Dearth's wonderful vocal performance. We also finally see
what Roy Skelton (Dalek voices and Zippy in Rainbow) looks like!

>4. The Fourth Doctor

I know I've sniiped a lot of these, but to be honest I could watch
*any* Tom story over and over and over again. :)

> Pyramids Of Mars
>
>What I love: The Egyptians & Osirians. Sarah Jane wanting to just
>leave & get away from it all, but finding that if they do, the future
>won't be there anymore.

First story I bought on video, I watch it at least once a year because
it *is* that good. The mummies are excellent, the cast are all
wonderful, it even manages to get a little physics lesson in quite
unobtrusively and has a *fantastic* villain in Sutekh.

It also has a hand holding down his cushion when he stands up,
but that just adds to the fun imho. :)

> City Of Death
>
>What I love: This story is just so *funny*. My favorite bits are the
>scene the Doctor and Romana with the Countess in her drawing room, and
>the bit with John Cleese and Eleanor Bron playing art critic with the
>Tardis.
>
>I always did wonder, though: if they could reverse the time bubble &
>bring back the chicken after it had been turned to bones, why didn't
>they do the same with poor Kerensky?

I wish Duggan had been kept on. The cast get the balance between
taking it seriously / not taking it seriously perfect. There are just
*so* many great lines. Behind all the fun, the basic plot itself is
excellent, the very idea that a man split through time has influenced
human invention and evolution just so he can go back in time and (in
saving his own race) prevent it from existing is stunning.

Other more-or-less randomly picked Toms - Terror Of The Zygons,
because it's set in Scotland, has the *best* organic aliens in the
show's history, eerie performances from the replaced humans and
it has the Loch Ness monster attacking oil rigs / London! What more
do you want?

The Horns Of Nimon - I've possibly written a bit much already, so I
direct you to www.bhfh.fsnet.co.uk/nimon.htm which explains in
detail why I love this story so much.

I watched Face Of Evil last night and I think it'll be one I watch a
few times. It has some wonderful moments concerning faith and
belief and the idea of the Doctor being the original cause of what
has happened is intriguing.

>5. The Fifth Doctor

Earthshock - I went off this for a while, but rewatched it recently
and apart from one or two faults it's still good. Another great first
episode, building up the tension perfectly, then the last ten seconds
of the episode! Cybermen! When I first saw this I couldn't wait for
the next episode *soooooooo* much. I'd read about the Cybermen but
never seen them in the flesh (so to speak). And The Doctor /
Cyberleader conversation about small events is one of the greatest
in the show's history.

Enlightenment - The first episode build things wonderfully. Just when
you think you know what's going on, you suddenly discover they're in
space. Wrack is wonderfully over the top and entertaining and even
gets away with talking direct to the camera. The final scenes with
the two Guardians are excellent. "Enlightenment was not the prize, it
was the choice." Beautiful stuff.

> The Caves of Androzani
>
>What I love: Pretty much everything. 5thDoc & Peri work so well
>together! Fast-paced, well knitted storyline, with a couple of the
>best cliffhangers *ever*.

The Doctor and Peri are the only true good guys in the story. It's a
stunning piece of work, Sharaz Jek, Morgus (and his asides to camera),
a bunch of double-acts, a sense of doom, a race against time, a truly
understandable villain, the episode 3 cliffhanger (one of the defining
5th Doctor moments) and the stunning final sacrifice just to save one
person. Astounding, truly astounding.

>6. The Sixth Doctor

Revelation Of The Daleks - Only one I can really say I've watched a
lot. Didn't think much of it on its original transmission, but now I
can truly appreciate it. First time round I loved finally seeing a
glass Dalek like the one described in the Daleks novelisation. Second
time around I appreciated the characters, especially Orcini, who's
another supporting character I think would have made a good companion.
It's a shocking story at times, but all the better for it. Davros is
so *devious* in it, for much of the story avoiding the raving lunatic
sterotype.

>7. The Seventh Doctor

> The Curse of Fenric
>
>What I love: An all-around great story. Vampires! WWII. Ace's
>mother. Ace figuring everything out, always at precisely the wrong
>moment to the wrong people. Faith--faith in God, faith in Lenin,
>faith in the Doctor. Ace allowing herself to love her mother.

One of only two 7th Doctor stories I can honestly say I'll watch again
and again. The idea that the Doctor has battled Fenric in the past and
that Fenric has a score to settle work here. Millington is obviously a
bit mental, but in a wonderfully quiet and subdued manner. Judson's
transformaiton is a great moment, as is Sorin's. Beyond all
expectations, Nicholas Parsons is excellent, finding his faith
wavering with the events of the war. It has faults, sure,
but I can happily watch this one over and over.

Ghost Light - It reminds me of Sapphire And Steel. It has some
great ideas, some choice dialogue and a very unreal quality to
it which actually works. I seem to pick up on different things every
time I watch it as well.

Paradise Towers - Ok, so I lied. I have no idea why, but I get a good
laugh out of this story nowadays despite hating it for all it was
worth when first shown.

And not a TV story but I'll mention it anyway...

Dalek's Invasion Earth : 2150AD!

Daleks, Bernard Cribbins, more Daleks, a big flying saucer, Jill
Curzon, a man with a metal plate in his head hitting the ground with a
clang[1], lotsa Daleks. Perfect no-brainer Saturday afternoon viewing!

[1] - At one point near the end, a large number of people are running
out of the mine, one rather portly gentleman is shot by a Dalek and
falls to the ground, as his head hits, a loud clang is heard, probably
someone hitting a Dalek with a pickaxe or something, but it makes
me laugh every time I see it. :)
--
gordon -"Make a cup of tea, put a record on..."- www.bhfh.fsnet.co.uk

Ian Motter

Mar 15, 2001, 3:45:09 PM3/15/01

Gordon wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 04:28:28 GMT, indi...@aolcom.founditallanyway
> (Anne Warfield) wrote:

<snip>

> >4. The Fourth Doctor
>
> I know I've sniiped a lot of these, but to be honest I could watch
> *any* Tom story over and over and over again. :)
>
> > Pyramids Of Mars
> >
> >What I love: The Egyptians & Osirians. Sarah Jane wanting to just
> >leave & get away from it all, but finding that if they do, the future
> >won't be there anymore.
>
> First story I bought on video, I watch it at least once a year because
> it *is* that good. The mummies are excellent, the cast are all
> wonderful, it even manages to get a little physics lesson in quite
> unobtrusively and has a *fantastic* villain in Sutekh.

I watched this one when I was about 12 on our local PBS station.
I was all alone in my parents bedroom watching it in the dark.
Big mistake. I could have sworn that face of Sutekh that Sarah Jane
saw appeared above my head on the wall. I had nightmares about that
thing....

Ian

Auntie Krizu

Mar 15, 2001, 5:34:27 PM3/15/01
> Which are the stories you like to see over & over?

Horns of Nimon.
Horns of Nimon.
Horns of Nimon:)

It's really hard to list my favourites--too much differences between the
stories depending on what it is that I like so much about them. Some I love
for pure camp value (Kroll, Nimon, Time-Flight), some for terrific stories
and good acting (Mind of Evil, Keeper of Traken, Kinda, Pyramids,
Androzani), some for the pure sexiness of the actors (Petey being Tortured
and Cute(TM) in Black Orchid and Castrovalva, Delgado charming me off my
feet in any of his stories, Time Monster for him and Ingrid Pitt, then
there's Ainley's better eps, like Traken)... there are so many factors at
work there:).

Cheers,

Auntie Krizu(:>)

Kenneth Clark

Mar 15, 2001, 6:17:51 PM3/15/01
Anne Warfield wrote:

> The Keys of Marinus
>
> This is one of several stories that I fell in love with through its
> novelization. Back when I first became a Who fan, the novelizations
> were all I had. There wasn't a station in my area that showed
Doctor
> Who, & it would be 10 years before I owned (or even had regular
access
> to) a VCR. If I wanted to experience (or re-experience) a story, I
> had to read the novelization.

Ah yes, the great Phil Hinchcliffe! I remember that for the line:
"Kala kicked and spat like an alley cat, before collapsing weeping to
the floor." This always seemed to me like a lyric from a song. It
has rhythm, it has internal rhymes and it only needs Elvis going
"uh-huh huh" at the end. I cannot mentally *say* that line, but only
sing it.

> What I love: The puzzle/quest aspect to it (I'm a sucker
> for stories that involve puzzles somehow). The
> inhospitable nature of the landing site (glass beaches
> and an acid sea--cool!). The bit with everyone but
> Barbara being caught up in the false luxuries. The
> screaming jungle. And, of course, Ian being studly. :)

The novelisation is big fun, it's gotta be said. However I've never
seen the TV version!

> The Romans
>
> This was not at all what I expected after having
> read the novelization. Wow!

Again I've only read the novelisation, but Donald Cotton is a god.

> Day Of The Daleks
>
> This is one of the first novelizations I got,
> so I read it over & over.

That's one of Terrance's earliest, so he actually put a bit of elbow
grease into the writing of it. Personally I always loved the little
map you got at the beginning!

I agree with lots more of your examples, in fact. Further details
that brighten up those stories for me: Warriors of the Deep has an
amazingly hot babe (though she unfortunately gets strangled) and I'll
always love the moment in Time and the Rani where McCoy casually
corrects the calculations of a brain that probably weighs more than
his entire body. Varos will always be a favourite with me, but the
icing on the cake is Sil. Is Nabil Shaban still acting? That's one
talented performer...

Finn Clark.

Jerazk

Mar 15, 2001, 10:34:16 PM3/15/01
THE FIVE DOCTORS: this was the first taste I had of the First and Second
Doctors so I enjoyed it a great deal at the time. I also liked seeing some of
the companions that I had only just read about. I enjoyed the special since it
was promoted to no end and there was plenty of action and fun stuff going on.
Re-watching it? Well I have and it doesn't quite have the same spark it used
to. But I still have a bit of fondness for it.

FULL CIRCLE: Well for obvious reasons but I also like the idea of such a stupid
culture fooling themselves and almost everyone in this is wrong, including the
Doctor and Romana. I think Tom is balancing quite well here--he's quite
sarcastic and sardonic at the same time. He works well with Adric and snips at
his stealing something...then puts it in his pocket. The setting outside is
beautiful and the music very well done. The fog is nice but the monster masks
and spiders somewhat let it all down a bit...althought seen in the mist and
from afar both can be scary. There were so many possibilities for this team. Of
course, that all changed...for the worst for the show but I can watch this
again.

CITY OF DEATH-simply because it's the best DW ever! Funny, frightening, obtuse
toward "art" and "snoddy-ness" it can teach the gang of writers of the new
adventures, the BBC stories, and the recent fan books a thing or two.

HORNS OF NIMON, CREATURE FROM THE PIT, and NIGHTMARE OF EDEN. This is what DW
should be like a lot. Socially relevant? Yep. Drugs, myths we rely on, invasion
of environments, big business...etc, etc but mixed with fun, monsters, some
death and danger, jokes, action, and some new and interesting bits for TV (the
mixing of the ships, an alien who isn't evil, and more). Tom and Lalla are
flippant and brilliant in all of this season's stories. DW couldn't have asked
for better characters.

SHADA: there is something very cool about all the scenes in the Professor's
office/TARDIS early on. Very funny.

SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE: very scary!

DALEK INVASION OF EARTH: I like the location shots and the Earth being torn
apart as it was here was a brave move: something the later production team
would never do. The Daleks are menacing and the story does not drag like THE
DALEKS does. Still DALEK INVASION EARTH movie is much better than both of them.

GENESIS OF THE DALEKS and WARRIORS OF THE DEEP: I admit it: I just like the
cliffhangers on WARRIORS. I also like the cliffhangers in GENESIS. When Sarah
sneaks up on Davros testing the first Dalek: it's just so cool. Lots of good
scenes and I like Sarah and Harry being left on their own...the separation of
characters works here and makes sense...unlike all the separation in NEW
ADVENTURES and Beeb novels.

AWAKENING: I like the shortness of it. Whereas Daemons drags a bit, this does
not and there are some nice action sequences for once and for once they are
nicely staged and outside! A sense of menace came from the atmosphere and not
the silly looking monsters.

LOGOPOLIS and CASTROVALVA: I think Tom and Peter are just brilliant in both of
these. People now blame CASTRO for not having enough Doctor in it. I say Poppy
cock! He's the main reason for the whole story and he is great in it. I really
took to this Doctor right away and in his first season he is very, very good.
Tom is sad in his last story, still he holds his own with the rampaging and
parading new group of characters and guest stars. It could have been a really
confused mess but it all held together, despite not being very sound science
wise. The music in both is very good.

THE TWIN DILEMMA: I never know which way Colin is going to jump next and for
me, this is a draw. He does wonders with bringing back the eccentricness of the
Doctor. I like seeing him strangle Peri, almost. Hugo is fun. I like the twins,
they should have become companions! Yes, I know what everyone thinks. But kids
could have added a dimension that DW didn't have at this time.

audio: POWER OF DALEKS: the Pat bits are fantastically fun. When the Daleks or
the Doctor are not doing their thing it is a bit dull. The Dalek bits are scary
and they seem really devious and evil here.
ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN: I really like the existing part to this. Pat and his
companions are really very good together, even Victoria here is good. I love
when Pat says, "Victoria, Victoria, come here, Jamie's got an idea, come
along..." pulling her away, staring worriedly at Jamie as he pulls her away
from Jamie as if Jamie's having an idea is rather a scary thing. Pat's being
locked up is funny and he makes every scene he's in shine.

THE GREEN DEATH: very watchable.

Alan S. Wales

Mar 15, 2001, 11:52:39 PM3/15/01
>indi...@aolcom.founditallanyway (Anne Warfield)

<snip>

>Which are the stories you like to see over & over?

You hit alot of the ones I would have mentioned like,

Tomb of the Cybermen
Chock full of quotable lines from Troughton and the Cybermen are truly
frightening.

Day of the Daleks
I like the time travel paradox stories and thought the control room from the
future was cool.

City of Death
My favorite story of all time. One-liners galore and a great plot to boot.

Vengenance on Varos
I loved Sil and the concept of instant interactive citizen involvement in
government.

I would also include:

Spearhead from Space
Robots of Death
Pirate Planet
Logopolis
Kinda

--
"When you argue with a fool, be sure he is not similarly occupied."

Fett

Mar 16, 2001, 3:18:27 AM3/16/01
Anne Warfield:

>Which are the stories you like to see over >& over?

Genesis of the Daleks
Caves of Androzani
Full Circle
Earthshock
5 Doctors
Robots of Death
Talons of Weng-Chiang
Deadly Assassin

Heck, the whole damn series pretty much!
-Fett

Positions Now Open at the Laugh Shack. All are welcome to send applications in.
Must note greatness of a McCoy story to be considered.

Nyctolops

Mar 17, 2001, 3:17:15 PM3/17/01
(Anne Warfield) wrote:

>Which are the stories you like to see over & over?

The Aztecs. Strangely enough, the first time I saw this story I
didn't care for it much, but it grew on me until it became one of my
favorites. I like the whole idea of Barbara rebelling against the
Doctor's warning that she can't change history, until she realizes
that he is right. I love Ian's speech about Autloc being the odd man
out and Tlotoxl being the norm. The look on the Doctor's face when he
realizes that he has just proposed marriage is priceless.

The Chase. I know it's just a mindless romp, but I love it. When I
am feeling a bit down in the mouth, it always cheers me up.

The Mind Robber. I like the weirdness of the Land of Fiction. The
part where the Doctor is trying to outwrite the Master of the Land of
Fiction without involving himself is wonderful.

The Curse of Peladon. Ice Warriors who are *not* villains make for a
nice change. The theme of certain members of a society actually
helping those who would exploit them in hopes of avoiding change is an
interesting one. I like Aggedor.

The Pyramids of Mars. It's scary and fun at the same time. Sutek was
very well realized and truly terrifying.

The Talons of Weng-Chiang. Cross The Phantom of the Opera with Jack
the Ripper and throw in a Chinese Tong with a smattering of Sherlock
Holmes and how could you go wrong. Ok, so it's got a rather
fluffy-looking giant rat hand puppet, but I don't care. You hardly
see it anyway. The sounds chasing Leela down the tunnel are scary
enough.

The Black Orchid. It's a nice change of pace from the monster stories
and we get to see the TARDIS crew at play for a change. I love the
Doctor's line about wishing he had left right after the cricket match.

The Two Doctors. I don't rewatch much of the Sixth Doctor. I like
him well enough but most of this stories have *something* in them that
I find mildly irritating. The Two Doctors has some delicious lines in
it and it has the Second Doctor and Jamie. That makes up for a whole
lot of things that I might otherwise not find all that interesting.

Time and the Rani. I know, I know, but I watch this one like I watch
The Chase. It cheers me up and I have a lot of fun with it. I like
the Tetrap POV shots and I like the Lakertyans. The way they run
holding their arms back shows a real attempt to make the aliens, well,
*alien* that we don't see nearly enough in SF shows.

Remembrance of the Daleks. This is my favorite McCoy story because I
like Daleks, especially pre-Davros Daleks, and this is the first story
in ages where he hardly plays a part. I like the idea of two Dalek
factions fighting it out for the chance to be the rulers of the
Universe. It just seems so likely for the Daleks to turn on
themselves eventually.

Thanks for starting this thread, Anne. This is good reading and it
made me think a bit about what I enjoy most about Doctor Who. It also
helped me to understand why it is that I am most likely to grab
stories that I know aren't necessarily the "best" stories when I just
want to watch a little Who. I like the fun parts of Doctor Who best
most of the time, but I also like the serious stuff. I just have to
be in the right mood to appreciate the serious stuff, while I can
enjoy the fun stuff any time.

Nyctolops
Quotefile nominations to radwqu...@geocities.com

Cardinal Zorak

Mar 17, 2001, 4:59:35 PM3/17/01

"Nyctolops" <nyct...@concentric.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 04:28:28 GMT, indi...@aolcom.founditallanyway
> (Anne Warfield) wrote:
>

> >Which are the stories you like to see over & over?
>
> The Aztecs. Strangely enough, the first time I saw this story I
> didn't care for it much, but it grew on me until it became one of my
> favorites. I like the whole idea of Barbara rebelling against the
> Doctor's warning that she can't change history, until she realizes
> that he is right. I love Ian's speech about Autloc being the odd man
> out and Tlotoxl being the norm. The look on the Doctor's face when he
> realizes that he has just proposed marriage is priceless.

I like the novelisation of that... when Cameca explains that he has made her
happy by giving her the coca, because it means a prtoposal of marriage, "he
found the next mouthful infinitely harder to swallow".

> The Chase. I know it's just a mindless romp, but I love it. When I
> am feeling a bit down in the mouth, it always cheers me up.

Yes, it hilarious -- I love the "what's that awful noise" Barbara/Doctor
sunbathing/singing scene...

--
Cardinal Zorak
"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy. There

Nyctolops

Mar 18, 2001, 12:50:06 AM3/18/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 21:59:35 -0000, "Cardinal Zorak"
<Fab31...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"Nyctolops" <nyct...@concentric.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 04:28:28 GMT, indi...@aolcom.founditallanyway
>> (Anne Warfield) wrote:
>>

>> >Which are the stories you like to see over & over?
>>
>> The Aztecs. Strangely enough, the first time I saw this story I
>> didn't care for it much, but it grew on me until it became one of my
>> favorites. I like the whole idea of Barbara rebelling against the
>> Doctor's warning that she can't change history, until she realizes
>> that he is right. I love Ian's speech about Autloc being the odd man
>> out and Tlotoxl being the norm. The look on the Doctor's face when he
>> realizes that he has just proposed marriage is priceless.
>
>I like the novelisation of that... when Cameca explains that he has made her
>happy by giving her the coca, because it means a prtoposal of marriage, "he
>found the next mouthful infinitely harder to swallow".

That's a very good way of conjuring up the Doctor's facial expression
without actually trying to describe it.

>> The Chase. I know it's just a mindless romp, but I love it. When I
>> am feeling a bit down in the mouth, it always cheers me up.
>
>Yes, it hilarious -- I love the "what's that awful noise" Barbara/Doctor
>sunbathing/singing scene...

That's a good one. I love the bit where the Doctor explains that they
must have been in the realm of the human imagination, then we see a
sign that descibes the place as a haunted house ride at a fair.