Cubbon's November 2016 F&W Trip: Day 9

Rudeney

Dec 20, 2016, 2:31:51 PM12/20/16
Day 9 – Saturday, November 12th

After our usual morning, we took a bus to Animal Kingdom at about 11:00.

Animal Kingdom

We arrived just in time to make the

11:30 Flights of Wonder show. We enjoyed it as we usually do. In Figure 45 two
members of the audience are invited on stage to have one of the birds fly
right at them while they try to take a photo or video. In this show the bird
was a Black Vulture which is native to Florida and large numbers of them can
be seen on the safari attraction especially around the hippo pool. Lunch at
Pizzafari

After the show, we got a bite to eat at Pizzafari. Its menu has changed again
and now they have dropped the sandwiches as well as most of the pizzas (see
Appendix 1, page 47). Lisa got the Hearts of Romaine Salad with

Figure 46. Our Pizzafari choices. Left romaine salad;

herb-marinated chicken breast,

right: cheese pizza.

croutons and Caesar dressing (left in

Figure 46). I had the Cheese Pizza (right) with tomato and cucumber salad. The
pizza wasn’t bad, but for a place called Pizzafari, to have only one pizza
choice is a little misleading.

On previous trips have tried the Flame Tree Barbecue and weren’t impressed. We
gave the Yak and Yeti quick service a couple of tries and were even less
satisfied. We like the Harambe Market, but it has usually been crowded and
tables are hard to come by.

After lunch, we went to the Festival of the Lion King. This is always a
rousing show that we both enjoy even though I have to wear ear plugs—it’s very
loud.

After the show, we went to the Starbucks on Discovery Island. Lisa wanted some
coffee and I had a mocha frappuccino (about the only Starbucks drink I like).

Figure 45. Black Vulture on approach for a landing on the tree stump behind
the two seated guests

Figure 47. Festival of the Lion King finale

© Andrew and Lisa Cubbon, 2016

WDW Food & Wine Festival 2016

We then went to find the Red Kangaroos, but they weren’t about in their
enclosure. The noise from yet another nearby film set apparently had been too
disturbing. We took a bus back to the villa for our afternoon rest period. We
then took the bus back to the Animal Kingdom.

When we got to the park entrance, Lisa discovered she had lost her Magic Band
on the bus. She was sent to Guest Relations, but a cast member there told her
just to use her Annual Pass to get in and have the hotel straighten out her
Magic Band (we have several of them from previous visits that still work). She
got through the gate without a hitch and we headed straight for Tiffins.

Figure 48. Sunset from bus stop at Kidani

Figure 49. The world map behind the hostess podium flanked by the two front
door panels

Tiffins Wine Dinner

On our previous visit, we had learned that Tiffins was hoping to have a wine
dinner, but they weren’t sure it could be pulled off. When we had had dinner
the day we arrived, we found a flyer on the podium announcing the dinner. When
I tried to sign up for it there, I was told it would have to be done through
Disney Dining. Lisa took care of this.

We arrived at Tiffins a few minutes early. Several other people were already
there, but it was

a small group. Lisa got to chatting with three people while we waited. We
learned that the older couple, John and Barbara, was the parents of the
younger woman, Jennifer. They lived in Celebration. The younger woman was the
wife of Robbie, one of the Chefs at Tiffins.

As is customary with wine dinners, it started with wine and hors d’oeuvres.
This took place in the Nomad Lounge. The five of us sat together for this.
There were three kinds of wine offered. A Graham Beck Brut Rosé that Lisa had
along with two of the others. I had the Painted Wolf “the den” pinotage. I’m
sure that Painted Wolf refers to the African Wild Dog, the

Figure 50. The wine I had and the hors d’oeuvres.

Pork with tamarind (on skewer), vegetable samosa (on spoon), and “bunny chow:”
curried duck in a puff pastry.

© Andrew and Lisa Cubbon, 2016

WDW Food & Wine Festival 2016

sketches on its label do look like it (left in Figure 50 above). They also
offered a chardonnay, but no one at our table had it. All are South African
wines.

For the hors d’oeuvres there were pork with tamarind (on a skewer in Figure 50
above), a vegetable samosa (on the spoon), and “bunny chow,” which is the
nickname for a variety of snack of bread or puff pastry filled with a curried
something. In this case it was curried duck in a puff pastry (upper-right
corner of the plate). All of them were yummy.

Now we moved into the Asian room that is to the left of the bar at Tiffins.
There were only two tables set up. We were at the smaller table with our three
companions plus Bob and Cookie, also from Florida, and Rachel Daneault, a
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Zoological Manager, who would be making short
presentations between courses. Lisa figures that we were getting a little
special treatment as two of “David’s people.” In any event it was a very
pleasant small group of dining companions.

First Course

For our first course we were served Kitfo, Miyazaki (wagyu beef), Berbere
spice, preserved lemon and a quail egg (Figure 52). Lisa thought it looked
like Spam, but it sure didn’t taste like Spam. It was very good. Think of it
as Ethiopian beef tartar. It was paired with the 2015 DeMorgezon DMZ Cabernet
Rosé, Western Cape, South Africa.

Second Course

Next it was Dukkah African Pheasant with salsify, celery, malanga, cipollini
and consommé (Figure 53). The wine with this course was Cederberg Bukettraube,
Cederberg, South Africa 2015. Bukettraube is a rare white wine cultivar with
only 77 hectares of vine left in the world. It is akin to Muscat. It went
nicely with the pheasant.

Third Course

For the third course we were served Florida Lion Fish with cornmeal dust and
toasted sunflower-fennel pollen granola (Figure 54). The wine was Paul Cluver
Estate Pinot Noir, Elgin, South Africa 2013. Lion Fish is an invasive species
that is wrecking havoc on Florida’s reef populations, so there is no limit on
how many you can catch and eat.

Figure 51. Rachel Daneault and some of the décor in the Asia room.

Figure 52. Kitfo

Figure 53. Pheasant

Figure 54. Lion fish

© Andrew and Lisa Cubbon, 2016

WDW Food & Wine Festival 2016

Fourth Course

The last savory course was Wild Boar with Ethiopian coffee butter, Midnight
Moon mealie pap, and tiny vegetables (Figure 55). With the boar we had De
Toren Z Bordeaux Blend, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 2013. It was my favorite
of the wines, but then I like heartier red wines.

Fifth Course – Dessert

Starting with the wine, it was one of our favorite dessert wines, Fairview La
Beryl Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Paarl, South Africa 2014. It is appropriately sweet.

Dessert was a Malva Pudding with apple mouse, caramel-chocolate ganache and
spiced pecan brittle. However, it wasn’t just a pudding on a plate—oh no—it
had to be presented with flair.

First we were each served a grapefruit-sized sphere of chocolate (left in
Figure 56 below). Then every member of the kitchen staff and any other cast
members they could round up came to each place with a small pitcher of hot
caramel. They proceeded to drizzle it over the chocolate ball in a star
pattern (center-left). After a short spell the caramel began to melt through
the chocolate (center-right). If all went as planned (and not all did), the
chocolate ball opened up like a flower revealing the malva pudding inside
(right).

Figure 55. 4th course: wild boar

Figure 56. Special dessert presentation sequence (center-left panel is Lisa’s)

After this dessert presentation, coffee was served and we all chatted happily
over our desserts and coffee until at least 10:00.

GRACE

Rachel’s presentations started with an overall introduction to Disney’s
conservation focus on 10 endangered species (Figure 57). She then talked about
the Gorilla Rehabilitation And Conservation Education (GRACE) project that she
works closely with. This is a program to rehabilitate young gorillas that are
recovered from the pet trade. They have a facility in the Democratic Republic
of the Congo to house these orphans, and are currently looking for a place
where the orphan gorillas can be returned safely and successfully to the wild.

Figure 57. Slide of the species that are the focus of Disney’s conservation
efforts

© Andrew and Lisa Cubbon, 2016

WDW Food & Wine Festival 2016

The Getting Back to Kidani Ordeal

It was now well after closing for the Animal Kingdom. It was even after the
last of the buses had come and gone. Casey, the floor manager, escorted us all
through the now empty park and out. Most of the guests at the dinner were
local and had their cars in the lot. There were six of us that were staying at
Disney resorts: two guys at one of the Alls and the other four of us at Kidani.

When we got to the bus stop there were no buses waiting, of course. Calls were
made and we hung out chatting for a spell. Then a Transportation Services car
arrived. After a brief discussion, the driver took the two guys to their
resort. And we waited some more. We were accompanied by one of the
Transportation guys who was quite friendly. After a while a bus arrived and
took us to Kidani. We were finally back in our villa by 11:30.

Steve Russo

Dec 21, 2016, 1:44:28 PM12/21/16
On 12/20/2016 2:33 PM, Rudeney wrote:
> Day 9 – Saturday, November 12th

> After the show, we got a bite to eat at Pizzafari. Its menu has changed again
> and now they have dropped the sandwiches as well as most of the pizzas (see
> Appendix 1, page 47). Lisa got the Hearts of Romaine Salad with herb-marinated chicken breast,

> Figure 46). I had the Cheese Pizza (right) with tomato and cucumber salad. The
> pizza wasn’t bad, but for a place called Pizzafari, to have only one pizza
> choice is a little misleading.

Agree. I always had the Pepperoni Pizza with the Caesar Salad and loved
it. Why did they change?

> On previous trips have tried the Flame Tree Barbecue and weren’t impressed.

I've only been there once and recall it being just OK.

> After the show, we went to the Starbucks on Discovery Island. Lisa wanted some
> coffee and I had a mocha frappuccino (about the only Starbucks drink I like).

I'll let this pass but...

> When we got to the park entrance, Lisa discovered she had lost her Magic Band
> on the bus. She was sent to Guest Relations, but a cast member there told her
> just to use her Annual Pass to get in and have the hotel straighten out her
> Magic Band (we have several of them from previous visits that still work). She
> got through the gate without a hitch and we headed straight for Tiffins.

I guess there was no concern about another guest finding and using your
Magic Band?

--
Steve

Rudeney

Dec 21, 2016, 2:22:02 PM12/21/16
On 12/21/2016 12:44 PM, Steve Russo wrote:
> On 12/20/2016 2:33 PM, Rudeney wrote:
>> Day 9 – Saturday, November 12th
>
>> On previous trips have tried the Flame Tree Barbecue and weren’t
>> impressed.
>
> I've only been there once and recall it being just OK.

Flame Tree Barbecue smells about 10x better than it tastes. And that smell
sucks me in every time!

--

- RODNEY

Next WDW Vacation?
Who knows!

Need to know more about RADP (rec.arts.disney.parks)?

http://www.radp.org
http://allears.net/btp/radp_bk.htm
http://allears.net/tp/abrev.htm

Are you still accessing RADP via Google? Why?
Get instructions on how to access to the "real"
RADP Usenet Group here:

http://meets.radp.org/usenet.

Patty Winter

Dec 21, 2016, 10:24:06 PM12/21/16

In article <o3ekm2$3ot$4...@rudeney.motzarella.org>,
Rudeney <rud...@mickeypics.com> wrote:

>Flame Tree Barbecue smells about 10x better than it tastes. And that smell
>sucks me in every time!

I've eaten there a couple of times and enjoyed it. Plus, the view across
the lake to Expedition Everest is gorgeous, day or night.

Patty

Lisa Cubbon

Dec 26, 2016, 11:13:00 AM12/26/16
On 12/21/16 1:44 PM, Steve Russo wrote:
> On 12/20/2016 2:33 PM, Rudeney wrote:
>> Day 9 – Saturday, November 12th
>
>> After the show, we got a bite to eat at Pizzafari. Its menu has
>> changed again
>> and now they have dropped the sandwiches as well as most of the pizzas
>> (see
>> Appendix 1, page 47). Lisa got the Hearts of Romaine Salad with
>> herb-marinated chicken breast,
>
>> Figure 46). I had the Cheese Pizza (right) with tomato and cucumber
>> salad. The
>> pizza wasn’t bad, but for a place called Pizzafari, to have only one
>> pizza
>> choice is a little misleading.
>
> Agree. I always had the Pepperoni Pizza with the Caesar Salad and loved
> it. Why did they change?

I told Chef David at Tiffins (who doesn't have charge of that place yet,
but it's right next to Tiffins) that I was pretty unhappy about it.

>> When we got to the park entrance, Lisa discovered she had lost her
>> Magic Band
>> on the bus. She was sent to Guest Relations, but a cast member there
>> told her
>> just to use her Annual Pass to get in and have the hotel straighten
>> out her
>> Magic Band (we have several of them from previous visits that still
>> work). She
>> got through the gate without a hitch and we headed straight for Tiffins.
>
> I guess there was no concern about another guest finding and using your
> Magic Band?

No concern at all. need the biometric to get into a park. and the pin
to buy anything. I did get it disabled at the resort.

and I just ordered new MBs yesterday and another purple one. I wonder if
we will get the new ones.

I started using a system on the inside of the MBs. Name and date so I
knew the newest ones.

Lisa

Lisa Cubbon

Dec 26, 2016, 11:14:56 AM12/26/16
On 12/21/16 2:23 PM, Rudeney wrote:
> On 12/21/2016 12:44 PM, Steve Russo wrote:
>> On 12/20/2016 2:33 PM, Rudeney wrote:
>>> Day 9 – Saturday, November 12th
>>
>>> On previous trips have tried the Flame Tree Barbecue and weren’t
>>> impressed.
>>
>> I've only been there once and recall it being just OK.
>

> Flame Tree Barbecue smells about 10x better than it tastes. And that smell
> sucks me in every time!

Jenny Drake loved something there, can't remember what. But it just
doesn't grab us and Yak and Yeti is a poor excuse for Chinese food.
Dreadful.

Lisa

Lisa Cubbon

Dec 26, 2016, 11:15:39 AM12/26/16
That is true from the eating deck down by the river. I wonder if they
took that away for seating for the nighttime show.

Lisa

Mark L Fendrick

Dec 26, 2016, 12:57:46 PM12/26/16
On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 11:14:56 AM UTC-5, Lisa wrote:

> Jenny Drake loved something there, can't remember what.

Just a wild guess, but chicken leg?

Mark