Tarzan Trailer...

Labrie

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Where can we download it?

Is it good?

thanks a lot

Christian
l.ma...@videotron.ca

MPa5698994

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

http://disney.go.com/DisneyPictures/tarzan/index.html

And yes, it *is* good, IMHO.

Until Next Time,

The Heart of The Tiger
heartof...@yahoo.com

Alex Delauge

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
On 21 Jan 1999 16:24:29 GMT, mpa56...@aol.com (MPa5698994) wrote:

>>Where can we download it?
>>
>>Is it good?
>>
>>thanks a lot
>>
>>Christian
>>l.ma...@videotron.ca

"That's the best trailer for an animated film
that I've ever seen".
My wife, who is not easily impressed.

Robert Cook

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Alex Delauge wrote:

> "That's the best trailer for an animated film
> that I've ever seen".
> My wife, who is not easily impressed.

The trailer's quick cuts were perhaps a shade too quick, but geez is
it awesome (are we sure that Glen Keane didn't grow up in the jungle?
;-) ). I wistfully hope against all hope that the film itself will be
as cool, but it's practically inevitable that it will be a potentially
brilliant film deliberately mangled by having its various elements
clash and compete for the attention of the audience. I hope I'm wrong
this time (I wasn't last time)...I REALLY hope I'm wrong.

BTW, it's a good thing for Disney that the trailer is apparently such
a crowd-pleaser. I'd love to see a Tarzan movie from Disney Feature
Animation, but for most people, I would imagine, Tarzan has been done
to death (over 70 films since 1918!). And correct me if I'm wrong,
but I believe that this is going to be the very first movie to be
named simply "Tarzan"; most Tarzan movies are called "Tarzan and the
[something]" or "The [something] of Tarzan". :-)

- Robert Cook

MPa5698994

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

>Alex Delauge wrote:
>>
>> "That's the best trailer for an animated film
>> that I've ever seen".
>> My wife, who is not easily impressed.
>
>The trailer's quick cuts were perhaps a shade too quick, but geez is
>it awesome (are we sure that Glen Keane didn't grow up in the jungle?
>;-) ). I wistfully hope against all hope that the film itself will be
>as cool, but it's practically inevitable that it will be a potentially
>brilliant film deliberately mangled by having its various elements
>clash and compete for the attention of the audience. I hope I'm wrong
>this time (I wasn't last time)...I REALLY hope I'm wrong.

I thought the trailer was great! And the music mixed *very* well with the
scenes. Even the lyrics held true to the visual imagry.

Like when Tarzan was pulling the glove off of Jane, the lyrics replied: "The
dream is gone, but when there's hope".
And they showed Tarzan with Jane and switched over to the Gorilla (Tar's
surrogate?) "Two Worlds; One Family"
And when Tarzan's running through the jungles with Jane clutching his back,
terrified: "Trust your heart; let fate decide" .
Stuff like that that make me want to go see the film in a theater rather in
wait for the video.

>BTW, it's a good thing for Disney that the trailer is apparently such
>a crowd-pleaser. I'd love to see a Tarzan movie from Disney Feature
>Animation, but for most people, I would imagine, Tarzan has been done
>to death (over 70 films since 1918!). And correct me if I'm wrong,
>but I believe that this is going to be the very first movie to be
>named simply "Tarzan"; most Tarzan movies are called "Tarzan and the
>[something]" or "The [something] of Tarzan". :-)

Yes, Hollywood pretty much leeched the life out of the Tarzan genre. Hopefully,
this'll be a good way to revive it in terms of creativity and style.

>- Robert Cook

stanlee

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

On 23 Jan 1999, Alex Delauge wrote:

> BTW, it's a good thing for Disney that the trailer is apparently such
> a crowd-pleaser. I'd love to see a Tarzan movie from Disney Feature
> Animation, but for most people, I would imagine, Tarzan has been done
> to death (over 70 films since 1918!). And correct me if I'm wrong,
> but I believe that this is going to be the very first movie to be
> named simply "Tarzan"; most Tarzan movies are called "Tarzan and the
> [something]" or "The [something] of Tarzan". :-)

Actually, I think it's going to be called _Disney's_ Tarzan. ;-p

Laters. =)

STan
----------
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
|__ | | | | _ | |\ | |___| ____|| ____|
|_______| |__| |__| |__|___| \____|_______|______|______|
__| | ( )
/ _ | |/ Stanlee Dometita sd0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
| ( _| | U of Rochester sta...@www.cif.rochester.edu
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | | www.cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
/ \/ \| _ | |\ | uhura.cc.rochester.edu/~sd005e
/___/\/\___\__| |__|___| \____|

Richard Llewellyn

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Robert Cook (rbr...@hotmail.com) wrote:
:
: BTW, it's a good thing for Disney that the trailer is apparently such
: a crowd-pleaser. I'd love to see a Tarzan movie from Disney Feature
: Animation, but for most people, I would imagine, Tarzan has been done
: to death (over 70 films since 1918!). And correct me if I'm wrong,
: but I believe that this is going to be the very first movie to be
: named simply "Tarzan"; most Tarzan movies are called "Tarzan and the
: [something]" or "The [something] of Tarzan". :-)
:

The problem is that after 70+ films we Tarzan fans are still waiting for
someone to do it right. Its obvious from the trailer that Disney won't
even though it may be a good movie. (It would be nice to see a Disney film
where one didn't have to consciously supress one's knowledge of the
source material to enjoy it.)

Yours in animation,
Richard Llewellyn
Reference Department, Science * Chronology of Animation *
University of Georgia Libraries * List of Anime Television Series *
rl...@arches.uga.edu * Rintaro Filmography *
Phone: 706-542-0696 at
Fax: 706-542-6523 * http://www.arches.uga.edu/~rllew *

Marco Merkelijn

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

stanlee heeft geschreven in bericht ...

>On 23 Jan 1999, Alex Delauge wrote:
>
>> BTW, it's a good thing for Disney that the trailer is apparently such
>> a crowd-pleaser. I'd love to see a Tarzan movie from Disney Feature
>> Animation, but for most people, I would imagine, Tarzan has been done
>> to death (over 70 films since 1918!). And correct me if I'm wrong,
>> but I believe that this is going to be the very first movie to be
>> named simply "Tarzan"; most Tarzan movies are called "Tarzan and the
>> [something]" or "The [something] of Tarzan". :-)
>>

>Actually, I think it's going to be called _Disney's_ Tarzan. ;-p

But most movies are called Disney`s <movie>
Example Disney`s Aladdin, although that refers more to the series.
Disney`s The Little Mermaid that refers too the series.

So I am saying, what am I saying? That *if* there will be a series it`s
called Disney`s Tarzan, but thats isn`t sure. See a post of Tad Stones at
alt.fan.disney.afternoon

Marco

Rule #1 I can`t kill anybody
Rule #2 I can`t make anybody in love
Rule #3 I can`t bring people back from the death
Rule #4 Visit Agrabah`s Market
Agrabah`s Market http://home.wxs.nl/~merkelyn/aladdin/al.html
MDAFS http://home.wxs.nl/~merkelyn/

Misha

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Love the trailer, only I instantly vomited when hearing that godawful music!

On the other hand, Disney animation already survived Elton John and Tim
Rice, so not all may be lost.

Cheers!

Misha

Erin Cochran

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Misha <Mi...@chernabog.demon.nl> wrote in article
<917237626.1081....@news.demon.nl>...

> Love the trailer, only I instantly vomited when hearing that godawful
music!

I may well be horridly plebeian in my tastes, but I thought the music
was great, something to get the blood pumping. I *did* find some of
the lyrics rather trite, and other lines evocative. Overall, though, the
total effect on me was a good one.

Erin Cochran
ecoc...@knox.knox.edu

man...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
In article <917237626.1081....@news.demon.nl>,

"Misha" <Mi...@chernabog.demon.nl> wrote:
> Love the trailer, only I instantly vomited when hearing that godawful music!

Remind me not to sit next to you in the theater. <g>
Jeff

MPa5698994

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

>Love the trailer, only I instantly vomited when hearing that godawful music!
>
>On the other hand, Disney animation already survived Elton John and Tim
>Rice, so not all may be lost.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Misha

I enjoyed the trailer. It was fast-paced, never dull for the few minutes of the
duration. The action blended in flawlessly with the music. It was one of the
best trailers I've seen this year besided the one to Star Trek: Insurrection.
And I enjoy Elton John music. And Tim Rice is not so bad :-)

Marco Merkelijn

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

Misha heeft geschreven in bericht
<917237626.1081....@news.demon.nl>...

>Love the trailer, only I instantly vomited when hearing that godawful
music!

>On the other hand, Disney animation already survived Elton John and Tim
>Rice, so not all may be lost.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Misha

Great trailer and greater music.
What`s wrong with Elton John and Tim Rice.

I am not a fan of Elton`s music, but lastnight I saw a live concert of him
singing Can you feel the love tonight and I still think it`s a great song.

And Tim`s A whole new world is the best Disney song I ever heard.

Just my humble opinion.

Misha

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
<Marco Merkelijn wrote:>
>And Tim`s A whole new world is the best Disney song I ever heard.

Eehh... Sorry, but I guess we disagree here. Big time.
First of all, Rice did not compose A Whole new World. Alan Menken did. And
IMO the few lyrics that Rice contributed to Aladdin are but a shadow of the
lyrical genius put in by the late Howard Ashman.
Now I know that poor Tim was only called for at the last moment ('cause
Ashman died) and he had little time to work something out. But this excuse
does not apply to The Lion King, where he was in from the beginning.
When hearing the Menken-Ashman collaborations, you feel the music and the
lyrics become one. When you hear the Ashman-Rice or John-Rice songs, you
just hear a lyricist frantically trying to match all those words to the
melody.

But hey, that's just my opinion! ;-)

Misha

"Tell me Princess
Now when did you last
let your heart decide"

Yeah, right

Marco Merkelijn

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

Misha heeft geschreven in bericht
<917285880.15367.0...@news.demon.nl>...
I agree with you one the point that ashman-menken are much better
Ashman-Rice or John-Rice songs.

MPa5698994

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

><Marco Merkelijn wrote:>
>>And Tim`s A whole new world is the best Disney song I ever heard.
>
>Eehh... Sorry, but I guess we disagree here. Big time.
>First of all, Rice did not compose A Whole new World. Alan Menken did. And
>IMO the few lyrics that Rice contributed to Aladdin are but a shadow of the
>lyrical genius put in by the late Howard Ashman.
>Now I know that poor Tim was only called for at the last moment ('cause
>Ashman died) and he had little time to work something out. But this excuse
>does not apply to The Lion King, where he was in from the beginning.
>When hearing the Menken-Ashman collaborations, you feel the music and the
>lyrics become one. When you hear the Ashman-Rice or John-Rice songs, you
>just hear a lyricist frantically trying to match all those words to the
>melody.
>
>But hey, that's just my opinion! ;-)
>
>Misha

Hey, I can agree at that one point: The Ashman-Menken team was the best thing
to happen to music in a long time; not just Disney, but music in general, IMHO.

But the John-Rice relationship was also nice. Some of the songs had a
distinctive sublity in power. The "Circle of Life" song was excellent in terms
of visual interpertation (I could almost picture how the song was being played
out before I saw the film). The "Be Prepared" song was fantastic, showing the
villian at his twisted best. They was he was protrayed in the song, with the
lyrics and dialog, showed a powerful presence in my mind. "hakuna Matata" was
something I call "TCS": Typical Comedy Song, but at least it was funny.

Misha

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
> But the John-Rice relationship was also nice. Some of the songs had a
>distinctive sublity in power. The "Circle of Life" song was excellent in
terms
>of visual interpertation (I could almost picture how the song was being
played
>out before I saw the film). The "Be Prepared" song was fantastic, showing
the
>villian at his twisted best. They was he was protrayed in the song, with
the
>lyrics and dialog, showed a powerful presence in my mind.

I agree that these are the highlights of the LK soundtrack. But what's
really good in it is the arrangement doneby Hans Zimmer. That's what makes
it so powerful (compare the movie version of Circle of Life with the Elton
John version. You'll hear what I mean)

Misha

GoGdgetGo

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
How about the Zippel-Menken, and Zippel-Wilder songs?

Robert Cook

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
MPa5698994 wrote:

> >How about the Zippel-Menken, and Zippel-Wilder songs?
>
> Interesting question, and a good one too :-)
> I think it's more half and half on this issue. The Zippel-Menken songs either
> good or bad. Some are hummable, a few are....grating (A Guy Like You, from
> HOND. I haven't felt that much agony since my term in the Turkish Prision.

"A Guy Like You" is a Schwartz-Menken song, not Zippel-Menken.

- Robert Cook

Robert Cook

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Richard Llewellyn wrote:

> Robert Cook (rbr...@hotmail.com) wrote:
> :
> : BTW, it's a good thing for Disney that the trailer is apparently such
> : a crowd-pleaser. I'd love to see a Tarzan movie from Disney Feature
> : Animation, but for most people, I would imagine, Tarzan has been done
> : to death (over 70 films since 1918!).
>
> The problem is that after 70+ films we Tarzan fans are still waiting for
> someone to do it right.

Yes, I've seen a few Tarzan movies...Tarzan fans definitely have my
sympathy. A couple I have yet to see are "The New Adventures of
Tarzan" and "Tarzan and the Green Goddess"; these films were produced
by Edgar Rice Burroughs himself in response to inaccurate portrayals
of Tarzan in other films. I've heard they're pretty bland though.

> Its obvious from the trailer that Disney won't
> even though it may be a good movie.

Well, I can't say whether Disney's film will be good until I see it,
of course, but the early indications are that this Tarzan character
should easily be the most interesting ever on film. At the very
least, we'll finally get to see an approximation of his superhuman
abilities--you know, something beyond Johnny Weissmuller swinging on
a trapeze vainly pretending to be a vine. :-) I wouldn't be
surprised if Disney's Tarzan character ends up being one of the more
accurate portrayals, relatively speaking.

> (It would be nice to see a Disney film
> where one didn't have to consciously supress one's knowledge of the
> source material to enjoy it.)

I don't understand why Disney feels they need to change SO much. I
mean, okay, go ahead and change the entire plot (a direct translation
from the books probably wouldn't play well on film anyway), but why,
for instance, does "Clayton" have to be someone who is apparently not
related to Tarzan? Clayton is Tarzan's surname. His cousin, Cecil
Clayton, can be replaced by a villain, but this villain should have a
different name. It would make everyone who cares about it happier,
and wouldn't bother anyone who doesn't care. This is something I've
never been able to figure out.

Oh well, the entire industry's in a self-imposed rut anyway, so I'll
just go with it and ride it out. When June comes around, I hope we
can say: "Forget about accuracy--at least this is the first GOOD
Tarzan movie!" :-)

- Robert Cook

MPa5698994

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
>How about the Zippel-Menken, and Zippel-Wilder songs?

>How about the Zippel-Menken, and Zippel-Wilder songs?

Interesting question, and a good one too :-)
I think it's more half and half on this issue. The Zippel-Menken songs either
good or bad. Some are hummable, a few are....grating (A Guy Like You, from
HOND. I haven't felt that much agony since my term in the Turkish Prision.

Opps, can't say that, they might ban the post :-)
I personaly think "I Wont Say" should've been longer and gotten more screen
time then "Go The Distance".

Until Next Time,

The Heart of The Tiger

heartof...@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/chateau/6372/

MPa5698994

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
>MPa5698994 wrote:
>>
>> >How about the Zippel-Menken, and Zippel-Wilder songs?
>>
>> Interesting question, and a good one too :-)
>> I think it's more half and half on this issue. The Zippel-Menken songs
>either
>> good or bad. Some are hummable, a few are....grating (A Guy Like You, from
>> HOND. I haven't felt that much agony since my term in the Turkish Prision.
>
>"A Guy Like You" is a Schwartz-Menken song, not Zippel-Menken.
>

>- Robert Cook

Thank you for noticing :-)

Misha

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
>Well, I can't say whether Disney's film will be good until I see it,
>of course, but the early indications are that this Tarzan character
>should easily be the most interesting ever on film.
><SNIP>

>Oh well, the entire industry's in a self-imposed rut anyway, so I'll
>just go with it and ride it out. When June comes around, I hope we
>can say: "Forget about accuracy--at least this is the first GOOD
>Tarzan movie!" :-)

HEY! Did everyone suddenly forget about 'Greystoke' or something???!!?

Misha

Robert Cook

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99

No, I remember. I liked selected parts of Greystoke, but most of it
is pretty boring. There are also a lot of unnecessary changes to the
story for a film that was supposedly going to tell the "true" story of
Tarzan. It's not bad, but I wonder if the filmmakers really
understood the character.

My favorite "Tarzan" film is probably George of the Jungle. :-) It's
a total farce, but is very fun and surprisingly well executed--
something I can't say about most Tarzan movies (or Disney live-action
comedies for that matter).

- Robert Cook