Comic Strip Hall of Fame

Robert

Dec 17, 2009, 6:19:39 PM12/17/09
Okay, I know about the Will Eisner Award and the Will Eisner Hall of
Fame. Let's restrict it just to syndicated comic strip artists and
writers. Let's have a rule modeled after that of the Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame...25 years since first syndication. We all can agree that
certain long-dead or retired geniuses are automatic inductees--Harold
Gray, Charles M. Schultz, Elsie Segar, Chester Gould, Bill Watterson,
and so on. But, keeping in mind that writing and drawing a comic strip
day after day and keeping it fresh is one of the most challenging jobs
in media, which currently syndicated artists and writers should be
inducted, if not immediately then when they become eligible?

Gary Trudeau, of course: Nobody else approaches his genius for
creating believable and interesting characters, plots, and sub-plots.

Mark Tatulli

Stephen Pastis

Jerry Scott (doesn't draw, but comes up with great material day after
day)

Jim Borgman (doesn't write, but may be the best artist in the
newspapers)

Patrick McDonnell

Dan Piraro

Robb Armstrong

Tim Rickard (I'm waiting for Brewster Rockit, The Movie)

Brooke McEldowney

Darrin Bell

Cathy Guisewife (Don't gag, guys. It's been around 35 years and women
still love it)

Jim Davis (Don't gag, guys. It's been around 32 years and kids still
love it)

Bill Keane (Don't gag, guys. It's been around 49 years and
grandparents and mothers still love it)

nancy13g

Dec 17, 2009, 7:07:57 PM12/17/09
On Dec 17, 6:19 pm, Robert <bobbyd1...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Cathy Guisewife (Don't gag, guys. It's been around 35 years and women
> still love it)
>

> Bill Keane (Don't gag, guys. It's been around 49 years and
> grandparents and mothers still love it)

As a woman and a mother, I'd like to state for the record that ... I'm
gagging right now.

D.D.Degg

Dec 17, 2009, 8:15:16 PM12/17/09
No Mort Walker on your list.

Beetle Bailey has been around for 60 years next year.
His Hi and Lois celebrated 56 years a couple months ago.
Then there was his Boner's Ark and Sam's Strip,
not to mention Gamin and Patches.
Mort has also, in one way or another, been responsible
for Mrs. Fitz Flats, Sam and Silo, and The Evermores.
Oh and there was Lime Juicers when he was 15 years old.

He has spent both his time and his money
championing the cause of cartooning.

He has won the NCS Divisional Award for Best Comic Strip
a couple of times and Dik Browne has won it a few times
for Walker's Hi and Lois.
He has won NCS' Reuben Award.
He has been awarded the NCS Silver T-Square and
Mort Walker is one of only two people to be awarded
the National Cartoonists Society's Gold T-Square.
He has won the Elsie Segar Award.
Less than a dozen cartoonists have been elected to
the National Cartoonists Society's Hall of Fame -
Mort Walker is one of those chosen few.

D.D.Degg

Windsor Morgan

Dec 17, 2009, 8:39:14 PM12/17/09
In article
<833dcbc7-ac7b-4478...@g1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
Robert <bobby...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Let's have a rule modeled after that of the Rock and Roll
> Hall of Fame...25 years since first syndication. We all can agree that
> certain long-dead or retired geniuses are automatic inductees--Harold
> Gray, Charles M. Schultz, Elsie Segar, Chester Gould, Bill Watterson,
> and so on.

Bill Watterson first syndicated "Calvin and Hobbes" in November 1985, so
he is ineligible for the Hall under your rules (unless you want to have
a "Roberto Clemente" exception, to use another Hall of Fame).

I would.

--
'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'
Windsor Morgan

Dave Armour

Dec 17, 2009, 9:08:01 PM12/17/09
Windsor Morgan wrote:
> In article
> <833dcbc7-ac7b-4478...@g1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
> Robert <bobby...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Let's have a rule modeled after that of the Rock and Roll
>> Hall of Fame...25 years since first syndication. We all can agree that
>> certain long-dead or retired geniuses are automatic inductees--Harold
>> Gray, Charles M. Schultz, Elsie Segar, Chester Gould, Bill Watterson,
>> and so on.
>
> Bill Watterson first syndicated "Calvin and Hobbes" in November 1985, so
> he is ineligible for the Hall under your rules (unless you want to have
> a "Roberto Clemente" exception, to use another Hall of Fame).
>
> I would.

I agree Watterson's Hall of Fame material, whatever the
criteria. Ditto for Gary Larson. (Subject line says "strip", but
Piraro's single panel cartoon has also been mentioned.)

Joseph Nebus

Dec 18, 2009, 10:41:42 AM12/18/09
Dave Armour <d.f.a...@shaw.ca> writes:

Yeah, there's not a lot of chance _Calvin and Hobbes_ wouldn't
make the list whatever the rules are. It's kind of disorienting to
read the reruns and notice that it really is about as good as it is in
memory.

I don't know that there's still much use in distinguishing
between comic strips and comic panels, particularly given how many
strips will go into panel mode for a complicated visual joke or just to
let a theme week progress.

--
Joseph Nebus

Robert

Dec 19, 2009, 4:34:38 PM12/19/09

> Bill Watterson first syndicated "Calvin and Hobbes" in November 1985, so
> he is ineligible for the Hall under your rules (unless you want to have
> a "Roberto Clemente" exception, to use another Hall of Fame).
>
> I would.
>
> --
> 'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'
> Windsor Morgan
> Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

He'll be eligible next year.

Pat O'Neill

Dec 19, 2009, 7:03:52 PM12/19/09
On Dec 17, 6:19 pm, Robert <bobbyd1...@verizon.net> wrote:

Burkley Breathed

Lynne Johnston

Jim Scancarelli (he's been doing Gasoline Alley for at least 25 years,
right?)

Message has been deleted

parto the p

Dec 20, 2009, 3:59:05 AM12/20/09
Two that I'd definitely include on the list-
Tom Batiuk - Funky Winkerbean
Jimmy Johnson - Arlo and Janis

And I know he's in the "of course" category, but the thread can't go
on without a mention of Walt Kelly and Pogo. And I'm rooting for
Patrick McDonnell and Mutts and Mark Tatulli and Heart of the CIty to
keep going and make it someday.

My Cage, written by Ed Power and drawn by Melissa DeJesus, is one of
the best strips to come along in awhile and has filled the vacuum left
by the regrettable decline of Get Fuzzy. They have a considerable ways
to go, but their early work sure cuts the mustard.

Last, but not least, I'll add The K. Chronicles by Keith Knight,
though I'm not sure about its syndication status (Though it's been
nominated twice and won one Harvey Award for Best Syndicated Strip),
as another strip with the makings of greatness.

parto the p