TUMBLEWEEDS -New Syndicate? Ending?

D. D. Degg

Dec 19, 2007, 9:07:31 PM12/19/07
A rather cryptic message at Reed Breenan:

"King Features Syndicate's syndication of the TUMBLEWEEDS comic strip
by Tom K. Ryan will end in December of this year.
The last TUMBLEWEEDS comic strips syndicated by King Features
Syndicate is for the daily release dated December 29, 2007, and the
Sunday release dated December 30, 2007."
http://rbma.com/ADVISORY/advisory.php

So is Tom K. Ryan shutting down his strip?
Or is Tom K. Ryan changing syndicates?
Sounds more like a syndicate change.

I'm not sure of the syndication trail of the strip.
It started out as a Lew Little strip and went with
the Register and Tribune Syndicate.
At some point Ryan took the strip to KFS
but in 1977 he went over to United Feature Synd.
Again at some point he took the strip back to KFS.

Ryan turned 81 years old this past June
and Tumbleweeds turned 42 last September.

A King Features page says the strip is in about 200 papers
http://www.kingfeatures.com/license/liprop/tumblewd/Main.htm
which is enough to keep the strip profitable.

There is nothing about this on the T.K.Ryan page
http://www.tumbleweeds.com/1stpage.htm

Guess we'll find out in a week and a half.

D.D.Degg

Brian Henke

Dec 20, 2007, 12:32:23 AM12/20/07
On Dec 19, 9:07 pm, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> A rather cryptic message at Reed Breenan:
>
> "King Features Syndicate's syndication of the TUMBLEWEEDS comic strip
> by Tom K. Ryan will end in December of this year.
> The last TUMBLEWEEDS comic strips syndicated by King Features
> Syndicate is for the daily release dated December 29, 2007, and the
> Sunday release dated December 30, 2007."http://rbma.com/ADVISORY/advisory.php
>
> So is Tom K. Ryan shutting down his strip?
> Or is Tom K. Ryan changing syndicates?
> Sounds more like a syndicate change.
>
> I'm not sure of the syndication trail of the strip.
> It started out as a Lew Little strip and went with
> the Register and Tribune Syndicate.
> At some point Ryan took the strip to KFS
> but in 1977 he went over to United Feature Synd.
> Again at some point he took the strip back to KFS.
>
> Ryan turned 81 years old this past June
> and Tumbleweeds turned 42 last September.
>
> A King Features page says the strip is in about 200 papershttp://www.kingfeatures.com/license/liprop/tumblewd/Main.htm

> which is enough to keep the strip profitable.
>
> There is nothing about this on the T.K.Ryan pagehttp://www.tumbleweeds.com/1stpage.htm

> Guess we'll find out in a week and a half.
>
> D.D.Degg

In the early 1980s (BTW, the Cincinnati Post had canceled it in 1978
- we will get to it later in my Comic Strip Index Retro), Tumbleweeds
was syndicated by Field Newspaper Syndicate. FNS was gobbled by Rupert
Murdoch and renamed News America Syndicate in 1984, but KFS took over
NAS in late 1986, with the first strips under the North America
Syndicate banner in 1978).

Cincy...@aol.com

-----------

Judge Parker, One Big Happy, Rose is Rose

- Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find
in Atlanta

He's a monster. He loves flowers. See Henry's Garden, and vote for
it on IMDB!

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2459519/

cbrubaker

Dec 20, 2007, 12:28:13 PM12/20/07
It looks like "Tumbleweeds" is indeed ending its run:

http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/12/20/tumbleweeds-to-end-at-request-of-cartoonist/

On Dec 20, 11:07 am, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> A rather cryptic message at Reed Breenan:
>
> "King Features Syndicate's syndication of the TUMBLEWEEDS comic strip
> by Tom K. Ryan will end in December of this year.
> The last TUMBLEWEEDS comic strips syndicated by King Features
> Syndicate is for the daily release dated December 29, 2007, and the
> Sunday release dated December 30, 2007."http://rbma.com/ADVISORY/advisory.php
>
> So is Tom K. Ryan shutting down his strip?
> Or is Tom K. Ryan changing syndicates?
> Sounds more like a syndicate change.
>
> I'm not sure of the syndication trail of the strip.
> It started out as a Lew Little strip and went with
> the Register and Tribune Syndicate.
> At some point Ryan took the strip to KFS
> but in 1977 he went over to United Feature Synd.
> Again at some point he took the strip back to KFS.
>
> Ryan turned 81 years old this past June
> and Tumbleweeds turned 42 last September.
>

> A King Features page says the strip is in about 200 papershttp://www.kingfeatures.com/license/liprop/tumblewd/Main.htm

> which is enough to keep the strip profitable.
>

> There is nothing about this on the T.K.Ryan pagehttp://www.tumbleweeds.com/1stpage.htm

John Reiher

Dec 20, 2007, 1:21:00 PM12/20/07
In article
<88da31af-55e2-46a7...@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
cbrubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like "Tumbleweeds" is indeed ending its run:
>
> http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/12/20/tumbleweeds-to-end-at-request-
> of-cartoonist/

So does this mean that Hildegard Hamhocker will finally land the Weed?
Will Limp'n Lizard get past the dugout with Little Pigeon? Will the
Chief of the Poohawks hangup his warbonnet and quit?

Waiting with baited breath to see how this strip ends. I'm a long time
fan of the series.

--
The Kedamono Dragon
Pull Pinky's favorite words to email me.

Check out the PowerPointers Shop at:
http://www.cafeshops.com/PowerPointers

D. D. Degg

Dec 20, 2007, 3:20:12 PM12/20/07
John Reiher wrote:
> I'm a long time fan of the series.

I'm more an old time fan of the series.
I think I have at least the first half of his Fawcett books
http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/galleries/comicstrips/tumbleweeds.htm
but haven't followed the strip for awhile.

But I would like to thank Tom K. Ryan for the
thousands of laughs he gave me over the years.

D.D.Degg

unmi...@comcast.net

Dec 20, 2007, 3:45:20 PM12/20/07
cbrubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like "Tumbleweeds" is indeed ending its run:
>
> http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/12/20/tumbleweeds-to-end-at-request-of-cartoonist/

There was a Saturay morning cartoon of it in the 70's?
How did I miss that?

I haven't read it in years, but it is kind of sad to hear
of it ending.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 20, 2007, 4:40:31 PM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 3:45 pm, unmich...@comcast.net wrote:

> I haven't read it in years, but it is kind of sad to hear
> of it ending.

Same here. I haven't read Tumbleweeds in years. Looking back on the
little archival material I can find on the web, it looks like T.K.
Ryan kept a consist, and quirky, humorous style throughout the years.

Not one of the all-time greats, but a solid run. Thanks, T. K., and
enjoy your retirement!

Default User

Dec 20, 2007, 5:06:41 PM12/20/07
John Reiher wrote:

> In article
> <88da31af-55e2-46a7...@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> cbrubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It looks like "Tumbleweeds" is indeed ending its run:
> >
> > http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/12/20/tumbleweeds-to-end-a

> > t-request- of-cartoonist/

> So does this mean that Hildegard Hamhocker will finally land the
> Weed? Will Limp'n Lizard get past the dugout with Little Pigeon?
> Will the Chief of the Poohawks hangup his warbonnet and quit?
>
> Waiting with baited breath to see how this strip ends. I'm a long
> time fan of the series.

Maybe one last Indian of the Month award (I don't recall seeing that in
a while).

Tumbleweeds was a strip I used to enjoy as a kid, then the
Post-Dispatch dropped a long time ago. When I using the Chron service,
I added 'Weeds and have been enjoying it again.

Brian

won't shut up.

unmi...@comcast.net

Dec 20, 2007, 4:18:49 PM12/20/07
unmi...@comcast.net wrote:
> I haven't read it in years, but it is kind of sad to hear
> of it ending.

Wow, I should have taken another look at the strip before
I posted the above. I haven't read it since I was a kid,
and the first new strip I saw (today's) has a Native American
character speaking like Tonto. Not a strip I'm interested in
reading. My apologies to anyone offended.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 20, 2007, 5:27:56 PM12/20/07
In article <476adc39$0$23791$8826...@free.teranews.com>,

<unmi...@comcast.net> wrote:

>unmi...@comcast.net wrote:
>> I haven't read it in years, but it is kind of sad to hear
>> of it ending.
>
>Wow, I should have taken another look at the strip before
>I posted the above. I haven't read it since I was a kid,
>and the first new strip I saw (today's) has a Native American
>character speaking like Tonto. Not a strip I'm interested in
>reading. My apologies to anyone offended.

No, he's speaking like "The Hulk", which for Tumbleweeds, he is.

Ted

Dec 20, 2007, 5:35:48 PM12/20/07
unmi...@comcast.net wrote:

> unmi...@comcast.net wrote:
> > I haven't read it in years, but it is kind of sad to hear
> > of it ending.
>
> Wow, I should have taken another look at the strip before
> I posted the above. I haven't read it since I was a kid,
> and the first new strip I saw (today's) has a Native American
> character speaking like Tonto. Not a strip I'm interested in
> reading. My apologies to anyone offended.

Oh, BS. That's one character, Bucolic Buffalo. He speaks that way
because he's a man of few syllables. None of the other Indians speak
that way.

If you're going to criticize, read a representative sample of strips.

Jim Ellwanger

Dec 20, 2007, 10:26:23 PM12/20/07
In article <476ad460$0$26077$8826...@free.teranews.com>,
unmi...@comcast.net wrote:

> cbrubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It looks like "Tumbleweeds" is indeed ending its run:
> >
> > http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/12/20/tumbleweeds-to-end-at-reques
> > t-of-cartoonist/
>
> There was a Saturay morning cartoon of it in the 70's?
> How did I miss that?

It didn't have a cartoon of its own -- it was one segment of a series
called "The Fabulous Funnies" that featured animated versions of various
King Features comic strips, including "Nancy," "Alley Oop,"
"Broom-Hilda," and "The Katzenjammer Kids." It aired on NBC in the
1978-79 season, after noon Eastern, which meant that a fair number of
affiliates pre-empted it.

I've seen it because a friend of mine had a videotape of an episode that
he'd bought for a dollar. It was...not very good.

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.

Joseph Nebus

Dec 21, 2007, 10:31:36 AM12/21/07
cbrubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> writes:

>It looks like "Tumbleweeds" is indeed ending its run:

>http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/12/20/tumbleweeds-to-end-at-request-of-cartoonist/

That's a real surprise to me. I don't think I'm actually a fan
of the strip, exactly, but I do read it steadily and have within the
last few weeks defended its virtues to a friend who couldn't believe I
read it.

I'm curious why there was a week of rerun ``classic'' strips so
recently now -- it stood out as something Ryan rarely did, and taking a
week off a month before you retire seems peculiar.

--
Joseph Nebus

unmi...@comcast.net

Dec 21, 2007, 10:09:13 AM12/21/07
Default User <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Oh, BS. That's one character, Bucolic Buffalo. He speaks that way
> because he's a man of few syllables. None of the other Indians speak
> that way.
>
> If you're going to criticize, read a representative sample of strips.

After going through more of them, yeah, he seems to be the only one
who talks like that. My reaction was due to that being the very
first one I pulled up, and you figure what are the odds of pulling
up a non-representative strip, so even when I looked at others,
yesterday, they were tainted by that initial impression.

Looking again, today, it doesn't come across the same way.

unmi...@comcast.net

Dec 21, 2007, 10:18:31 AM12/21/07

Just wanted to add that my comments above are still not a
defense of the Bucolic Buffalo character. And I think I'm
done with the Tumbleweeds discussion.

D. D. Degg

Dec 21, 2007, 8:56:58 PM12/21/07
unmich.. wrote:
> Just wanted to add that my comments above are still not a
> defense of the Bucolic Buffalo character.

The people here won't defend the character either.
http://www.bluecorncomics.com/nastrips.htm

Me? I find it hard to take offense when all the
characters are played for fools.

D.D.Degg

cbrubaker

Dec 21, 2007, 10:04:11 PM12/21/07
I know the internet's full of stupid people who'll complain about
everything, but damn.

...I opened a can of worms for saying that, huh?

On Dec 22, 10:56 am, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> unmich.. wrote:
> > Just wanted to add that my comments above are still not a
> > defense of the Bucolic Buffalo character.
>

> The people here won't defend the character either.http://www.bluecorncomics.com/nastrips.htm

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 22, 2007, 12:03:17 AM12/22/07

"D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

YEah, but the publisher of blucorncomics is a crank who can't seem to find
anything to like about mainstream portrayals of Naitve Americans.

John Duncan Yoyo

Dec 27, 2007, 2:19:59 PM12/27/07
On 21 Dec 2007 10:31:36 -0500, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

>cbrubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>It looks like "Tumbleweeds" is indeed ending its run:
>
>>http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/12/20/tumbleweeds-to-end-at-request-of-cartoonist/
>
> That's a real surprise to me. I don't think I'm actually a fan
>of the strip, exactly, but I do read it steadily and have within the
>last few weeks defended its virtues to a friend who couldn't believe I
>read it.
>
> I'm curious why there was a week of rerun ``classic'' strips so
>recently now -- it stood out as something Ryan rarely did, and taking a
>week off a month before you retire seems peculiar.

I'm guessing it was a last minute decision to end the strip. The
sundays have a longer lead time so he may have had a few more weeks of
sundays in the can. I have always loved the art style on this strip
and it hasn't changed all that much over the years.
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

D. D. Degg

Jan 1, 2008, 10:33:21 AM1/1/08
Tom K. Ryan's old hometown paper has an article
about "Tumbleweeds" coming to an end.
http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080101/NEWS01/801010336/1002

Noticed they say the strip was appearing in about 80 papers
while the KFS site claimed it was in about 200 papers.

D.D.Degg

Steven

Jan 1, 2008, 10:45:39 AM1/1/08

> Noticed they say the strip was appearing in about 80 papers
> while the KFS site claimed it was in about 200 papers.
>
> D.D.Degg

As syndicates count dailies and sundays as seperate papers,
these two numbers could still be about right. 80-100.

steven r

cbrubaker

Jan 1, 2008, 11:05:07 AM1/1/08
On Jan 2, 12:33 am, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Tom K. Ryan's old hometown paper has an article
> about "Tumbleweeds" coming to an end.http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080101/NEWS0...

> Noticed they say the strip was appearing in about 80 papers
> while the KFS site claimed it was in about 200 papers.
>
> D.D.Degg

This part made me laugh

"...the last Sunday strip appeared Sunday."

Huh, I didn't realize that Sunday strips ran on Sundays.

tu...@yahoo.com

Jan 1, 2008, 12:39:15 PM1/1/08
The website, http://www.tumbleweeds.com/funnies.html , is still up and
operating. So anyone who needs their daily (and Sunday) Tumbleweeds
fix can go there