Tripped over this as I was running around the internet

D.D.Degg

Jul 10, 2017, 9:49:45 PM7/10/17
Al Capp, Li'l Abner and Lena the Hyena
A look at the 1946 contest when comic strips were big.
http://booksteveslibrary.blogspot.com/2017/07/lena-hyena-contest-1946.html

What's Going on With Joseph Nebus' What's Going on In?
Nebus takes a look at his June posts with links
to his What's Going On In series for that month:
https://nebushumor.wordpress.com/2017/07/08/statistics-june-or-what-was-popular-around-here/

It's a week late and off-topic but here's a
J. C. Leyendecker Saturday Evening Post cover
https://ungoliantschilde.tumblr.com/image/162599968469

A 1951 syndicate promotional brochure for Little Lulu
http://popculturesafari.blogspot.com/2017/07/pop-artifact-little-lulu-comic-strip.html

Famed Australian cartoonist Jason Chatfield tries to submit
cartoons to Bob Mankoff and the New Yorker (in three parts)
https://www.jasonchatfieldcomedy.com/blog/2017/4/26/new-yorker-part-1
https://www.jasonchatfieldcomedy.com/blog/2017/4/26/new-yorker-part-2
https://www.jasonchatfieldcomedy.com/blog/2017/4/30/new-yorker-part-3

Okay, you know I am U.S.-centric,
but no one can ignore the great Giles:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jul/04/secrets-of-much-loved-wartime-cartoonist-giles-revealed-in-new-book

Speaking of great - George Lichtenstein!
Rob Stolzer has a new blog and he recently used
it to highlight the magnificence that is Lichty
http://inkmunk.com/ink-slingers-blog/ink-slingers-blog-4-george-lichty.html

Since we're using superlatives to describe comics...
off-topic but it is Steve Ditko's masterpiece,
after these five pages Spider-Man could have spent the
rest of the issue battling the Hamburglar;
it didn't matter, I was invested. "The Final Chapter":
https://dirtyriver.tumblr.com/tagged/Steve-Ditko

What happens when you win an award from an organization
whose doctrine you find abhorrent?
If you're Clay Jones you reject the "honor":
https://claytoonz.com/2017/07/03/award-winning/

A Snoopy - Batman crossover
http://thebristolboard.tumblr.com/post/162771187293/browsethestacks-ryannorth-flavorcountry

D.D.Degg

D.D.Degg

Jul 12, 2017, 10:27:26 PM7/12/17
The real All-Stars of last night's game
http://www.gocomics.com/drewlitton/2017/07/11

I love newly discovered comic strip history
http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2017/07/found-debut-of-associated-press-sunday.html

The alternative Baltimore City Paper will close later this year
http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-news-hole/bcpnews-baltimore-sun-plans-to-close-city-paper-20170707-story.html
which will affect a couple alternative comic strips
http://www.citypaper.com/news/comics/
Ben Claassen's Dirt Farm more so than Tomorrow's This Modern World.

NPR has compiled a list of the 100 Best Comics and Graphic Novels,
linked below are the 10 newspaper comic strips on the list
(with the listed webcomics right below that)
http://www.npr.org/2017/07/12/533862948/lets-get-graphic-100-favorite-comics-and-graphic-novels#newspaper

Naturally Calvin and Hobbes makes the list,
to continue with Calvin and Hobbes -
here's some old (2015?) fan-fiction:
In the Final Minutes of His Life,
Calvin Has One Last Talk with Hobbes
http://www.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-seecalvin-and-hobbes

Some newer Calvin and Hobbes fan stuff
https://braveandboldlost.blogspot.com/search/label/Calvin%20and%20Hobbes

D.D.Degg

Default User

Jul 13, 2017, 11:07:16 AM7/13/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 9:27:26 PM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:

> The alternative Baltimore City Paper will close later this year

The City Paper, years ago, had a column (The Funny Paper) that did commentary on the comic strips running in the paper. It was the forerunner to The Comics Curmudgeon.

Brian

Mark Jackson

Jul 13, 2017, 11:22:26 AM7/13/17
I think "it inspired The Comics Curmudgeon" would be more accurate.
Josh's blog was originally titled "Josh Reads the Comics So You Don't
Have To," reflecting the title (motto?) of the /City Paper/ column; he
changed it when the /City Paper/ authors objected (even though the
column had ceased publication some time before).

I believe I am right. And, if not right, plausible.
- Ignatius Donnelly

Jul 13, 2017, 2:32:37 PM7/13/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 10:22:26 AM UTC-5, Mark Jackson wrote:
> On 7/13/2017 11:07 AM, Default User wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 9:27:26 PM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
> >
> >> The alternative Baltimore City Paper will close later this year
> >
> > The City Paper, years ago, had a column (The Funny Paper) that did
> > commentary on the comic strips running in the paper. It was the
> > forerunner to The Comics Curmudgeon.
>
> I think "it inspired The Comics Curmudgeon" would be more accurate.
> Josh's blog was originally titled "Josh Reads the Comics So You Don't
> Have To," reflecting the title (motto?) of the /City Paper/ column; he
> changed it when the /City Paper/ authors objected (even though the
> column had ceased publication some time before).

That's what I had intended with the word "forerunner". Did you feel that it didn't convey that meaning?

Brian

Mark Jackson

Jul 13, 2017, 5:19:47 PM7/13/17
My immediate reaction was that "the forerunner" suggested an actual line
of descent, or at least not the apparently adversarial relationship that
actually transpired. But after looking at the meanings of "forerunner"
I withdraw the objection.

Jul 13, 2017, 5:51:27 PM7/13/17
As a former denizen (and now occasional visitor) of alt.usage.english, I never object to analyzing my postings with regards to correctness and clarity.

Brian

D.D.Degg

Jul 18, 2017, 10:19:07 PM7/18/17
“The process always begins with a blank page and infinite possibilities”
Magazine cartoonist Tom Toro goes through the process
of creating a political cartoons for The New Yorker:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-toro-tiny-hands_us_59690c0be4b03389bb172256

In an "it couldn't happen here -
but could in a U. S. Territory" moment -
Puerto Rican Newspaper Cancels PEPITO Comic
for Comparing Politician to Garbage Can:
http://www.latinorebels.com/2017/07/13/puerto-rican-newspaper-cancels-pepito-comic-for-comparing-politician-to-garbage-can/

Think it can't happen here? Ted Rall begs to differ:
http://anewdomain.net/ted-rall-just-found-courts-off-limits-99-us/

This past Sunday's Funky Winkerbean by Russ Heath?
It was done over a year ago (scroll down to part 10):
http://funkywinkerbean.com/wpblog/tag/batom-comics/

Speaking of Batiuk - he's been doing regular duty on his blog:
http://funkywinkerbean.com/wpblog/

Also posting on a regular basis these days is the
American Association of Editorial Cartoonists.
Scroll down past the cartoon to read, what seems like,
almost daily news and updates at http://editorialcartoonists.com/

Arnold Zwicky explains last week's Brewster Rockit
comic strips of Mansplainer mansplaining:
https://arnoldzwicky.org/2017/07/15/brewster-rockit-to-the-rescue/

Original Andy Capp artwork has been released for auction by the
family of cartoonist Reg Smythe to mark the centenary of his birth.
The sale of a dozen lots also celebrates the 60th anniversary
of the creation of his famous cloth-capped character.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/andy-capp-artwork-reg-smythe-13329577

The Disney Legend awards ceremony
http://micechat.com/166439-2017-disney-legends/
Notable for us among the recipients was Mickey Mouse, Scamp,
and Treasury of Classic Tales comic strip artist Manuel Gonzales
http://www.comicartfans.com/comic-artists/manuel_gonzales.asp

The Surprising Origin Story of Wonder Woman
The history of the comic-book superhero’s creation
seven decades ago has been hidden away—until now
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/origin-story-wonder-woman-180952710/

D.D.Degg