Should Gasoline Alley end?

D Heine

Mar 30, 2015, 5:15:02 PM3/30/15
Do you think the comic strip Gasoline Alley could end because the character - Walt Wallet - is getting old age? One way to end the strip: Walt Wallet dies at 100+ old age of some cause or something like that and the Gasoline Alley characters taken part in a funeral and burial for a week or two as it ends the strip for good.

Freezer

Mar 30, 2015, 5:48:41 PM3/30/15
If I don't reply to this D Heine post, the terroists win.

> Do you think the comic strip Gasoline Alley could end because
> the character - Walt Wallet - is getting old age

Walt passed "old age" in the 1960s.

--
My name is Freezer and my anti-drug is porn.
http://mst3kfreezer.livejournal.com/

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Mar 30, 2015, 5:51:01 PM3/30/15
In article <XnsA46DAAFEE35C7f...@94.75.214.90>,
Freezer <free...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:
>If I don't reply to this D Heine post, the terroists win.
>
>> Do you think the comic strip Gasoline Alley could end because
>> the character - Walt Wallet - is getting old age
>
>Walt passed "old age" in the 1960s.

He's very well preserved.

Hmm.. Has anybody checked his house for a ring?
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

D Heine

Dec 29, 2017, 3:27:57 PM12/29/17
I just bumped this thread since in the last few months the daily Gasoline Alley strips have been in rerun mode with current copyright year (Sundays are first run), first a 2013 arc and now a Christmas and New Years arc from 2008 going into 2009. Is this the time coming in 2018 for current Gasoline Alley artist Jim Scarnelli to declare the end of Gasoline Alley after many, many decades?

Heck, I am still waiting for Darby Conley to declare the end of his since 2013 daily rerun mode/off and on first run and rerun Sunday mode Get Fuzzy strip - maybe in 2018? And I could give since 2014 daily rerun mode/first run Sunday mode Doonesbury to end not in 2018, but maybe 2019 unless President Trump decides to resign before his first Presidential term ends by the 2020 election.

John W Kennedy

Dec 30, 2017, 11:29:52 AM12/30/17
On 12/29/17 3:27 PM, D Heine wrote:
> I just bumped this thread since in the last few months the daily Gasoline Alley strips have been in rerun mode with current copyright year (Sundays are first run), first a 2013 arc and now a Christmas and New Years arc from 2008 going into 2009. Is this the time coming in 2018 for current Gasoline Alley artist Jim Scarnelli to declare the end of Gasoline Alley after many, many decades?

Next November is the centennial of the strip. February 14, 2021 will the
centennial of Walt Wallet’s doorstep surprise, creating the strip as we
know it.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

Default User

Dec 30, 2017, 12:35:46 PM12/30/17
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 2:27:57 PM UTC-6, D Heine wrote:
> . . . current Gasoline Alley artist Jim Scarnelli

That's Scancarelli.

Brian

D Heine

Jan 1, 2018, 7:31:47 AM1/1/18
1/1/2018: A Gasoline Alley new year's strip from 1/1/2009 has 2009 replaced with 2018.

D Heine

Jan 2, 2018, 10:38:47 AM1/2/18
Well, effective today: I guess the next Gasoline Alley arc is new from 2018, no need to end the strip for now?

Jan 3, 2018, 10:57:07 AM1/3/18
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:38:47 AM UTC-6, D Heine wrote:

> Well, effective today: I guess the next Gasoline Alley arc is new from 2018, no need to end the strip for now?

Online comments suggest that it's a repeat from 2007. I haven't looked to verify that.

Brian

D Heine

Jan 3, 2018, 11:15:28 PM1/3/18
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 2:27:57 PM UTC-6, D Heine wrote:
> I just bumped this thread since in the last few months the daily Gasoline Alley strips have been in rerun mode with current copyright year (Sundays are first run), first a 2013 arc and now a Christmas and New Years arc from 2008 going into 2009. Is this the time coming in 2018 for current Gasoline Alley artist Jim Scarnelli to declare the end of Gasoline Alley after many, many decades?
>
> Heck, I am still waiting for Darby Conley to declare the end of his since 2013 daily rerun mode/off and on first run and rerun Sunday mode Get Fuzzy strip - maybe in 2018? And I could give since 2014 daily rerun mode/first run Sunday mode Doonesbury to end not in 2018, but maybe 2019 unless President Trump decides to resign before his first Presidential term ends by the 2020 election.

I wonder if anyone would contact Tribune Content Agency about the fate of Gasoline Alley and why the reprints with new copyright year came as well as the health of Jim S.

If the strip ends for good this year, what would the New York Daily News replace it with? Since the Daily News is now owned by Chicago Tribune owners Tronc, maybe replace Gasoline Alley with the return of Dick Tracy or another Tribune Agency owned strip like Prickly City or The Middletons?

D Heine

Jan 6, 2018, 8:27:51 AM1/6/18
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 2:27:57 PM UTC-6, D Heine wrote:
> I just bumped this thread since in the last few months the daily Gasoline Alley strips have been in rerun mode with current copyright year (Sundays are first run), first a 2013 arc and now a Christmas and New Years arc from 2008 going into 2009. Is this the time coming in 2018 for current Gasoline Alley artist Jim Scarnelli to declare the end of Gasoline Alley after many, many decades?
>
> Heck, I am still waiting for Darby Conley to declare the end of his since 2013 daily rerun mode/off and on first run and rerun Sunday mode Get Fuzzy strip - maybe in 2018? And I could give since 2014 daily rerun mode/first run Sunday mode Doonesbury to end not in 2018, but maybe 2019 unless President Trump decides to resign before his first Presidential term ends by the 2020 election.

Just to be curious: When was the last first run daily Gasoline Alley arc in 2017 before the rerun arcs came?

D.D.Degg

Jan 6, 2018, 6:57:36 PM1/6/18
D Heine asked:
> Just to be curious:
> When was the last first run daily Gasoline Alley
> arc in 2017 before the rerun arcs came?

The last new daily for 2017 was November 11.

Joseph Nebus reviews the last few months at
https://nebushumor.wordpress.com/tag/gasoline-alley/

Joel and Rufus are far from my favorites
as the population of Gasoline Alley goes,
but I really enjoyed the last two months of new strips.

Scancarelli really seemed to be enjoying himself
on the Dick Tracy and circus strips.
And I certainly enjoyed, what seemed to be,
the extra effort he put in the drawing.

There were some outstanding special strips:
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/09/30
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/06
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/25
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/26
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/28

Some strips that, for me, had a nice inside joke:
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/10
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/30

Even the strips where the story needed to pushed
along seeemd to have more artistic energy:
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/07
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/10/23

Scancarelli himself seemed to be enjoying the circus!

Even the ending with his noting the coming
of the Fall season without mentioning it:
http://web.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2017/11/10

It was an artistic tour de force (imho).

I was hoping (am still hoping) to see Scancarelli
usher Uncle Walt into the Comic Strip Retirement Home
as part of the 100th Anniversary come November 2018.

I sincerely hope Scancarelli is well
and wishing him all the best.

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Jan 7, 2018, 8:21:41 AM1/7/18
And is today's January 7, 2018 Gasoline Alley Sunday strip a regular rerun with new 2018 copyright date?

D Heine

Jan 7, 2018, 8:42:51 AM1/7/18
UPDATE: The Gasoline Alley Sunday strip for January 7, 2018 is from January 7, 2007 (with new 2018 copyright date - Tell that to Lynn "For Better or For Worse" Johnston whose FBOFW rerun strips with 2018 copyright now have entered 1989 recently)

D Heine

Jan 9, 2018, 7:48:41 PM1/9/18
Could it be the unannounced reruns of Gasoline Alley may turn into a Katzenjammer Kids-ish belated ending years from now if there's no word on the fate of the strip from Jim S. anytime soon? Heck, there's no word still on when Darby Conley will end rerun daily/occassionally first run Sunday Get Fuzzy for good!

D Heine

Jan 11, 2018, 8:04:38 AM1/11/18
There has yet to be a blog about this for the Gasoline Alley unexpected rerun arcs with current year copyright (Were the 1974-1979 Little Orphan Annie reruns from the 1930's with a current year copyright?)

D.D.Degg

Jan 11, 2018, 8:23:16 PM1/11/18
D Heine wrote:
> There has yet to be a blog about this for the Gasoline Alley
> unexpected rerun arcs with current year copyright

While both are on GoComics,
Gasoline Alley (Tribune Content Agency)
is a different syndicate than Big Nate (Andrews McMeel).

I sent a polite e-mail to TCA inquiring
about Jim Scancarelli and Gasoline Alley,
but have received no response (and at this late expect none).

Larry Lieber has only been absent from Spider-Man this week,
so still too early for any conclusions to be made.

The only other RUMOR not yet mentioned here
is the POSSIBLE death of cartoonist and gag writer
(and former RACS correspondent) Rex May.
I can find no confirmation of May's passing.

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Jan 11, 2018, 9:53:34 PM1/11/18
Did Rex May work on Gasoline Alley with Jim S.?

D.D.Degg

Jan 11, 2018, 10:39:55 PM1/11/18
D Heine asked:
> Did Rex May work on Gasoline Alley with Jim S.?

Rex May had nothing to do with Gasoline Alley.

Rex May was(is?) a cartoonist and gagwriter
also known by the nom de plume "Baloo".

He has worked on "Frank and Ernest", "Lunchbucket",
National Lampoon, "Bloomenkraft", "Atlantea the Beautiful",
"King Baloo", magazine and editorial cartoonist, and more.

A profile is at
https://www.cartoonistgroup.com/properties/template_about.php?id=150

His homepage is at
http://www.baloocartoons.com/

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Jan 12, 2018, 9:01:56 AM1/12/18
On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 7:23:16 PM UTC-6, D.D.Degg wrote:
Mr. Degg: Let us know if you ever get the e-mail from TCA about Jim S. and the Gasoline Alley fate.

Joe Morris

Jan 12, 2018, 9:42:12 AM1/12/18
Not so long ago, D.D.Degg wrote:
> Rex May was(is?) a cartoonist and gagwriter
> also known by the nom de plume "Baloo".

> He has worked on "Frank and Ernest", "Lunchbucket",
> National Lampoon, "Bloomenkraft", "Atlantea the Beautiful",
> "King Baloo", magazine and editorial cartoonist, and more.

Ahh, he was in Liberty magazine when it was a print mag
http://www.libertyunbound.com

He had one random appearence a few months ago in the WSJ's small cartoon
by the op-eds. That would explain his absence

--
Joe Morris Atlanta history blog
jol...@gmail.com http://atlhistory.com

D Heine

Jan 14, 2018, 8:12:08 AM1/14/18
On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 7:23:16 PM UTC-6, D.D.Degg wrote:
For those following Gasoline Alley on Sundays: Today's January 14, 2018 Gasoline Alley Sunday strip ("Fried CHILDREN with french FLIES?" "Whatever happened to spell CHECQUE"?) was originally from January 13, 2008.

Thought I would this thread for the Gasoline Alley Sunday strip rerun with new copyright year like there's a thread for Family Circus recycled strip (And when should the next Gasoline Alley daily rerun arc come unless Jim S. does new art or TCA desides to end after 98 years Gasoline Alley in the next few weeks or so?)

D.D.Degg

Jan 15, 2018, 1:57:40 AM1/15/18
> Larry Lieber has only been absent from Spider-Man this week,
> so still too early for any conclusions to be made.

And Lieber was only gone for the 1/8 - 1/13/2018 week of dailies.
With the Monday January 15, 2018 strip he returns:
https://comicskingdom.com/amazing-spider-man/2018-01-15

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Jan 21, 2018, 8:11:08 AM1/21/18
And today's January 21, 2018 Gasoline Alley rerun is a rerun from January 20, 2008 with new 2018 copyright.

D Heine

Jan 28, 2018, 8:20:55 AM1/28/18
Today's January 28, 2018 Gasoline Alley Sunday rerun is a rerun from January 27, 2008 with new 2018 copyright.

D Heine

Feb 4, 2018, 8:07:44 AM2/4/18
Regarding today's Feb. 4, 2018 Gasoline Alley Sunday strip: Is it new or a rerun with 2018 copyright? I can't tell. This strip features a mail lady delivering mail to Chipper Wallet.

D Heine

Feb 5, 2018, 7:49:55 AM2/5/18
And are this week's and last week's daily Gasoline Alley strips from 2018 new story arc strips? Looks like Jim S. is still active in drawing Gasoline Alley...

D.D.Degg

Feb 5, 2018, 11:31:21 AM2/5/18
On Monday, February 5, 2018 D Heine asked:
> And are this week's and last week's daily Gasoline Alley
> strips from 2018 new story arc strips?

Today's strip
http://www.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2018/2/5

is from
http://www.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2007/02/08

Feb 5, 2018, 2:16:52 PM2/5/18
Yeah, they're still on the "Wilmer closes the diner" arc, which is old.
I don't know about last Sunday. "Ruthie and Chipper" has been an
occasional diversion. I don't recall that particular one, but that
doesn't mean anything.

Brian

D.D.Degg

Feb 6, 2018, 1:41:32 PM2/6/18
Joseph Nebus updates his
What's Going On in Gasoline Alley review,
noting that the strip has been in reruns.

But he also notes that the February 4, 2018 Sunday strip
has not been revealed to be a rerun by he, we, or anyone else:
"I can’t find the original [for Feb. 4] if it is out there.
Maybe we worried for nothing? Or Scancarelli had a couple
strips almost done and was now able to do the Sundays at
least? Even if he isn’t able to get the dailies done?)"
https://nebushumor.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/whats-going-on-in-gasoline-alley-and-what-happened-to-jim-scancarelli/

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Feb 6, 2018, 3:24:38 PM2/6/18
Joseph Nebus didn't mention in the article that Garry Trudeau has also cut back on Doonesbury with classic daily reruns and first run Sundays since 2014. I also hope Jim S. isn't about to go with the possible first run Gasoline Alley Feb. 4 Sunday the off and on first run Sunday mode/daily rerun mode Darby Conley Get Fuzzy route.

D Heine

Feb 11, 2018, 10:50:19 AM2/11/18
While we still can't figure out the Feb. 4, 2018 Gasoline Alley Sunday strip if it was new or rerun, the Sunday, Feb. 11, 2018 Gasoline Alley strip is a rerun that was originally from Feb. 2007 with new 2018 copyright.

D Heine

Feb 16, 2018, 11:47:52 AM2/16/18
If I was in charge of the New York Daily News, I would drop Gasoline Alley (which has been in rerun arcs with 2018 copyright since November 2017) and replace it with both daily and Sunday one of these Tribune Content Agency owned comic strips (since TCA owners Tronc now owns the New York Daily News):
Prickly City
Dick Tracy (Last ran in the New York Daily News in 1999)
Half Full
...or maybe replace Gasoline Alley with another strip owned by another comic strip distributor, like maybe Garfield from Andrews McMeel (Unless you get Newsday, which still carries Garfield for Long Island newspaper fanatics along with Peanuts reruns and FBOFW reruns), this strip was dropped by the New York Post in 2014 when the said paper dropped its comic page for good.

D Heine

Feb 18, 2018, 8:19:09 AM2/18/18
How many weeks to go until the end of the 2008 daily Gasoline Alley rerun arc where Corky's Diner is threatened to close?

And regarding today's Feb. 18, 2018 Sunday Gasoline Alley strip: Since it deals with technology and mention of iPods (even a cameo of Howdy Doody on a TV screen): Is this new or a rerun I can't locate on gocomics.com somewhere?

D.D.Degg

Feb 25, 2018, 10:08:50 AM2/25/18
There has been some question as to whether a few of
the Gasoline Alley Sunday strips have been new or
rerun this month (Feb. 11 is rerun, the other Sundays - ?).

Today's Sunday strip, with three mentions of the upcoming
100th Anniversary of the strip, would seem to be new.
http://www.gocomics.com/gasolinealley/2018/02/25

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Feb 25, 2018, 10:41:03 AM2/25/18
So maybe first run daily Gasoline Alley strips should resume soon.