New Phantom artist; new Rex Morgan Writer

D.D.Degg

Mar 21, 2016, 8:59:22 AM3/21/16
King Features has announced that Mike Manley
will be the new daily artist on The Phantom.
"Mike's work will begin syndicating on May 30"

Also Announced that Rex Morgan, M. D. artist
Terry Beatty will take on the writing chores
for The Good Doctor and his wife J̶a̶n̶e̶ June.
"[Beatty] will be taking over writing REX MORGAN,
MD...on May 2 for dailies and May 8 for Sundays"

http://comicskingdom.com/blog/2016/03/21/editor-s-dispatch-big-news-evil-twins-and-easter-eggs

No mention if Mike Manley will continue
Judge Parker duty (he has had friends help
him with that in the past).
And no mention of Woody Wilson, who will
still write Judge Parker I suppose.

D.D.Degg
with a hat tip to Mike Peterson:
http://www.weeklystorybook.com/comic_strip_of_the_daycom/2016/03/time-and-change.html

robmor...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2016, 10:40:01 AM3/21/16

Mike Manley to continue on Judge Parker. For now. Per him. But, I wonder how that workload will go? Terry Beatty is doing writing and daily/Sunday art duties for Rex Morgan. Plus Phantom Sunday's.

Two daily strip duties seems like a lot, without help.

D.D.Degg

Mar 22, 2016, 1:05:17 AM3/22/16
> King Features has announced that Mike Manley
> will be the new daily artist on The Phantom.

The Phantom writer Tony DePaul welcomes
Mike Manley to the Skull Cave and
remembers a Paul Ryan episode:
http://www.tonydepaul.net/the-phantom-is-in-good-hands/

D.D.Degg

robmor...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2016, 1:49:06 PM3/22/16
I wish Mike well on taking on and doing two daily strips AND a Sunday JP panel. It will be daunting. He says he may get some help. I am guessing maybe enlisting some of his recent inkers, like Jerry Ordway, Bret Blevins or Bill Reinhold to help with the workload.

Daunting task to say the least. Would hope he can do both.

D.D.Degg

Mar 24, 2016, 8:24:38 PM3/24/16
rob wrote:
> Mike Manley to continue on Judge Parker.
> For now. Per him.

Mike Manley says:
"Luckily Tony and Paul were months ahead
on the strip so I had a bit of cushion, but
I will be burning a lot of coal to do both
strips as I will continue to do The Judge
and The Phantom. My first strips on the
Phantom won't appear till the end of
May-first week of June."

Mike writes about getting the assignment at
http://drawman.blogspot.com/2016/03/new-artist-in-skull-cave.html

D.D.Degg

D Heine

Mar 25, 2016, 9:19:10 AM3/25/16
Now how about artist/writer changes for the Mary Worth Sunday strips?

D.D.Degg

May 28, 2016, 12:36:43 AM5/28/16
> King Features has announced that Mike Manley
> will be the new daily artist on The Phantom.
> "Mike's work will begin syndicating on May 30"
> http://comicskingdom.com/blog/2016/03/21/editor-s-dispatch-big-news-evil-twins-and-easter-eggs

Just a reminder -

So today's (May 28) daily strip is the
last The Phantom strip by Paul Ryan.
http://comicskingdom.com/phantom/2016-05-28

Sunday's Phantom will be by Terry Beatty,
and then, come Monday, Mike Manley will
start as the daily Phantom artist.

D.D.Degg

D.D.Degg

May 29, 2016, 3:01:12 AM5/29/16
> ...today's (May 28) daily strip is the
> last The Phantom strip by Paul Ryan.
> http://comicskingdom.com/phantom/2016-05-28

Sunday Phantom artist Terry Beatty posted
a comment about Paul Ryan and Mike Manley
in the comments section of the above strip:

"Today marks the final Paul Ryan Phantom daily.
When I was hired to draw the Sunday strip, Paul
had already been drawing the dailies (and for a
while, the Sunday, as well) for a good many years.
Despite Paul advising me to look at classic Sy Barry
Phantom strips for my inspiration, it was Paul's
version I tried to emulate. Though our drawing styles
differ to some extent, it seemed to me his Phantom was
the current "legit" version, and I tried to emulate
the look of the characters he had established. I even
switched the way I was coloring Mr. Walker's hair when
Paul informed me it should be brown, not black!

"We worked separately -- only contacting each other
once in a while when we needed to share reference material
-- and looking back at my comic book convention days,
I think we may have just met in passing once or twice.
I had liked his comic book work (Fantastic Four, for
one example) and had been following his Phantom long
before there was any glimmer of a notion that I might
be involved with the strip. I regret that I never got
to know him better.

"As I was brought in when Eduardo Barreto passed,
so my friend Mike Manley will step in for Paul.
While we cartoonists are mortal, The Ghost Who Walks
must continue to fight piracy and evil -- and the
adventure must carry on. You'll like Mike's work --
I've seen advance strips and he's doing a bang up job --
but as Eduardo will always be missed, so we will always miss Paul.

"As Pogo said, 'Life ain't nohow permanent.'
Leave it to a comics character to tell us the truth."

D.D.Degg

Jun 3, 2016, 4:21:30 PM6/3/16
> So today's (May 28) daily strip is the
> last The Phantom strip by Paul Ryan.
> http://comicskingdom.com/phantom/2016-05-28

Mike Manley blogs about his first
installment of The Phantom comic strip at
http://drawman.blogspot.com/2016/05/first-day-in-skull-cave.html
"I posted the pencils for today's first strip and the
final versions and you can see there were some changes..."

Terry Beatty blogs about his first
story line as writer of Rex Morgan at
http://www.scaryterrysworld.com/2016/05/rex-morgan-md-5-23-16-to-5-29-16.html
"Yes, I'm doing a comic book-themed story right off the bat...
This is my comic strip format love letter to EC Comics..."

D.D.Degg

D.D.Degg

Jun 7, 2016, 2:05:09 AM6/7/16

> Terry Beatty blogs about his first
> story line as writer of Rex Morgan at
>
> "Yes, I'm doing a comic book-themed story right off the bat...
> This is my comic strip format love letter to EC Comics..."

Horrible Hank = Ghastly Graham?

D.D.Degg