Patman

未读,
1996年2月21日 03:00:001996/2/21
收件人
As I don my clueless newbie disguise... <o...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Kurt Busiek <kbu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>Menace. I say menace.
>
>>kurt
>
>...Ok, I give. Who the fuck is Bob Schreck? :-/

Is he related to Max Schreck?

:)

--
Pitcher o' beer winning team trivia name - February 8, 1996
OJ has a new car rental commercial: He's in prison, getting it from

Steven Grant

未读,
1996年2月21日 03:00:001996/2/21
收件人
On 21 Feb 1996 01:46:32 -0500, gt3...@prism.gatech.edu (Patman)
wrote:

>>>...Ok, I give. Who the fuck is Bob Schreck? :-/
>>
>>Is he related to Max Schreck?

Only by reputation.

The Pulse

未读,
1996年2月21日 03:00:001996/2/21
收件人
Steven Grant (sdg...@i-d.com) wrote:
: On 21 Feb 1996 01:46:32 -0500, gt3...@prism.gatech.edu (Patman)
: wrote:

: Only by reputation.

Oh, look, the pro's have come out to play.

I keep thinking Bob Shreck was the "hero" of some obscure
Extreme title, BloodShreck or something.

DCOBobW

未读,
1996年2月21日 03:00:001996/2/21
收件人
Threat. Definitely.

- Bob Wayne

Spackle

未读,
1996年2月21日 03:00:001996/2/21
收件人
In article <4ge9m7$a...@cloner3.netcom.com>, Kurt Busiek
<kbu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Menace. I say menace.
>
> kurt

I must have missed the beginning of this thread. . . why is everybody
so fired up about Bob Schreck? Isn't he just an editor at DHC?

Spackle, aka Dave Good DG...@POMONA.EDU
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse." --Pink Floyd

WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH

未读,
1996年2月21日 03:00:001996/2/21
收件人
Kurt Busiek (kbu...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Menace. I say menace.

: kurt

Can't make up my mind. I think he's "just trying to be..." a threat or
menace, but dunno which.

-- Will "Is he still using that signoff line?" Sudderth

--
Join "EvangeList," Guy Kawasaki's (un)official Apple listserver of good
in the body of the message the text: Subscribe Macway <Your Name>

Kurt Busiek

wrote:

>>...Ok, I give. Who the fuck is Bob Schreck? :-/
>
>Is he related to Max Schreck?

No ... but he _is_ related to a comic-book character named Schreck...

kurt

Blaise Byron Faint

未读,
1996年2月21日 03:00:001996/2/21
收件人
On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Steven Grant wrote:

> >>Is he related to Max Schreck?
>

> Only by reputation.

Bob Shreck is an editor for Dark Horse comics.

Anyway, I noticed this thread because I remember seeing that Daily Bugle
headline: "Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?".

I always assumed that this was an original (Stan Lee?) line, but it has
become such a classic, I'd thought I'd ask:

What was the first occurrence of the Threat or Menace tag?

As I don my clueless newbie disguise...

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
Kurt Busiek <kbu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Menace. I say menace.

>kurt

...Ok, I give. Who the fuck is Bob Schreck? :-/

OM

Kurt Busiek

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
dg...@pomona.edu (Spackle) wrote:

> I must have missed the beginning of this thread. . . why is everybody
>so fired up about Bob Schreck? Isn't he just an editor at DHC?

Words like "just" and "merely" don't belong in the same sentence with
"Bob Schreck."

Also words like "non-toxic," "ameliorate" and "reductive"...

kurt

Comnews

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
Hate to have to agree with Bob Wayne, but Schreck is a menace to no one
and a threat to all! Govern yourselves accordingly.

The Pulse

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
D.G. Chichester (dg...@aol.com) wrote:
: In article <4gfof5$n...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>, Kurt Busiek
: <kbu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

: > On 21 Feb 1996 01:46:32 -0500, gt3...@prism.gatech.edu (Patman)
: > wrote:

: > >
: > >>...Ok, I give. Who the fuck is Bob Schreck? :-/
: > >
: > >Is he related to Max Schreck?
: >
: > No ... but he _is_ related to a comic-book character named Schreck...
: >
: > kurt

: Actually, Shreck, aka Terror, purposely dropped the first "c" from his
: name, just to disassociate himself from Bob (who is generally regarded at
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Uhg, you mean they were a siamese twin? ;->

: the black sheep of the family.)

D.G. Chichester

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
<kbu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 21 Feb 1996 01:46:32 -0500, gt3...@prism.gatech.edu (Patman)
> wrote:
> >
> >>...Ok, I give. Who the fuck is Bob Schreck? :-/
> >
> >Is he related to Max Schreck?
>
> No ... but he _is_ related to a comic-book character named Schreck...
>
> kurt

Actually, Shreck, aka Terror, purposely dropped the first "c" from his
name, just to disassociate himself from Bob (who is generally regarded at

the black sheep of the family.)

DGC

--
D.G. Chichester
dg...@aol.com
dg...@epix.net

capitalist fiction
interactive writing & design

fredrick b. chary

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
Blaise Byron Faint <fa...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

>Anyway, I noticed this thread because I remember seeing that Daily Bugle
>headline: "Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?".
>
>I always assumed that this was an original (Stan Lee?) line, but it has
>become such a classic, I'd thought I'd ask:
>
>What was the first occurrence of the Threat or Menace tag?

My main man, Joe Pulitzer, used it on at least one occasion during a
mayoral race :)

Mike using Fred's account. (Actually, Fred has a history doctorate and
he knows everything else, I'll ask him :))

Bob Heer

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
From: Kurt Busiek <kbu...@ix.netcom.com>

> > I must have missed the beginning of this thread. . . why is everybody
> >so fired up about Bob Schreck? Isn't he just an editor at DHC?
> Words like "just" and "merely" don't belong in the same sentence with
> "Bob Schreck."
> Also words like "non-toxic," "ameliorate" and "reductive"...

sigh, not wise Kurt.

you keep this up and we'll =never= see any more of JONNY DEMON....

and then what will I and all the other fans of JD (yes, both of us) do?

now be nice and suck up and tell Mr. Schreck how wise and wonderful he is.

Bob

Bob Heer

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
Blaise Byron Faint <fa...@email.unc.edu>

> Anyway, I noticed this thread because I remember seeing that Daily Bugle
> headline: "Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?".
>
> I always assumed that this was an original (Stan Lee?) line, but it has
> become such a classic, I'd thought I'd ask:
>
> What was the first occurrence of the Threat or Menace tag?

the only mention of it in a comic I can find is one of the O'neil/Miller
AMAZING SPIDEY Annuals. The one with the Punisher and Doc Ock. #15, I
think. Anyway, a running motif in it is the changing Bugle headlines as
the news changes, and the original front page was a Jameson editorial,
"Spider-Man:Threat or Menace".

Bob

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

未读,
1996年2月22日 03:00:001996/2/22
收件人
Bob Heer (bg...@freenet.toronto.on.ca) wrote:
: From: Kurt Busiek <kbu...@ix.netcom.com>

: > > I must have missed the beginning of this thread. . . why is everybody
: > >so fired up about Bob Schreck? Isn't he just an editor at DHC?
: > Words like "just" and "merely" don't belong in the same sentence with
: > "Bob Schreck."
: > Also words like "non-toxic," "ameliorate" and "reductive"...

: sigh, not wise Kurt.

: you keep this up and we'll =never= see any more of JONNY DEMON....

: and then what will I and all the other fans of JD (yes, both of us) do?

Oh, so *you're* the other JONNY DEMON fan! :)

I thought it was a neat little miniseries.

- Elayne
--
E-Mail me, the "Firehead Head," for more info about the official ()~~
Firesign Theatre newsletter, Four-Alarm FIRESIGNal, available via ##

Steven Grant

未读,
1996年2月23日 03:00:001996/2/23
收件人
On 22 Feb 1996 17:50:05 -0500, Bob Heer <bg...@freenet.toronto.on.ca>
wrote:

>>the only mention of it in a comic I can find is one of the O'neil/Miller
>>AMAZING SPIDEY Annuals. The one with the Punisher and Doc Ock. #15, I
>>think. Anyway, a running motif in it is the changing Bugle headlines as
>>the news changes, and the original front page was a Jameson editorial,
>>"Spider-Man:Threat or Menace".

Somewhere way, way back in the earliest issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
-- maybe the first annual, but Ditko drew the story nonetheless --
Jameson ponders an article: 'SPIDER-MAN: THREAT OR MENACE?"

Or "... MENACE OR THREAT?" I forget which. But it harkens way, way
back...

Michael [DHC] Winston

未读,
1996年2月23日 03:00:001996/2/23
收件人
"Threat *OR* Menace"? Try "Threat *AND* Menace".

Around the Dark Horse office, we dive under our desks if we see Bob headed
our way.

The mention of his name makes small children cry.
A dirty look from him can set things on fire.
His office needs an exorcism performed on it once every two weeks.

Beware.

Michael

--
Michael Winston *By Phone!: (503)/652/8815 x341
Internet Coordinator *By e-mail!: d...@teleport.com

Jim Smith

未读,
1996年2月23日 03:00:001996/2/23
收件人

On 23 Feb 1996, Michael [DHC] Winston wrote:

> "Threat *OR* Menace"? Try "Threat *AND* Menace".
>
> Around the Dark Horse office, we dive under our desks if we see Bob headed
> our way.
>
> The mention of his name makes small children cry.
> A dirty look from him can set things on fire.
> His office needs an exorcism performed on it once every two weeks.

Gee whiz, could all you pros stop for a second and say _what_ Bob Schreck
has done that's so horrible? I never even heard of the guy until this week!

I will admit it's intersting that _every_ pro I can think of has
responded to this thread...

Jim "Figures Schreck is the amalgamted Anti-MOnslaughtor" Smith

The Impertinent Epigram-Man, Leader of the Iconoclasts * Chairman, JMNSIADC
"Li'l ol' ladies ought never to clank." --Sherriff Andy Taylor
"What do I know; I'm just a consumer!" Christine Louise Schooley
The Jim Smith homepage--http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~jasmith2/main.html

Kevin J. Maroney

未读,
1996年2月23日 03:00:001996/2/23
收件人
mwi...@cs.vu.nl (The Pulse) wrote:

>I keep thinking Bob Shreck was the "hero" of some obscure
>Extreme title, BloodShreck or something.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

--
Kevin Maroney | Crossover Technologies | ke...@crossover.com
If they keep you asking the wrong questions, they don't have

Sean Med

未读,
1996年2月24日 03:00:001996/2/24
收件人
>Gee whiz, could all you pros stop for a second and say _what_ Bob Schreck

>has done that's so horrible?

I do believe this is what used to be called a "roast." You know, like in
the old days, when all the big stars had dinner while Don Rickles insulted
Dean Martin's ancestry and stuff. Great fun.

Sean

Augie De Blieck Jr

未读,
1996年2月24日 03:00:001996/2/24
收件人
Kevin J. Maroney (ke...@crossover.com) wrote:
: mwi...@cs.vu.nl (The Pulse) wrote:

: >I keep thinking Bob Shreck was the "hero" of some obscure
: >Extreme title, BloodShreck or something.

: I'd buy that for a dollar.

Not a chance, Kevin. It would have to be $2.50!

-Augie
Augie De Blieck Jr. - http://daniel.drew.edu/~adebliec/index.html
au...@nic.com -
adeb...@drew.edu -

Blaise Byron Faint

未读,
1996年2月24日 03:00:001996/2/24
收件人
Does it predate Spider-Man? Does anyone know whether Threat or Menace?
is a Stan Lee invention? It has a nice cold war ring to it. I could
easily see it coming out of the mouth of Senator Joseph McCarthy, or
Senator Jesse Helms, or President Patrick Buchanan...

Thank you for reading this message. Blaise Faint
DISCLAIMER: The usual. http://sunsite.unc.edu/faint/index.html

Bob Heer

未读,
1996年2月24日 03:00:001996/2/24
收件人
> Does it predate Spider-Man? Does anyone know whether Threat or Menace?
> is a Stan Lee invention? It has a nice cold war ring to it. I could
> easily see it coming out of the mouth of Senator Joseph McCarthy, or
> Senator Jesse Helms, or President Patrick Buchanan...

I'm still not sure that it was in a Lee story. If anyone has an exact
reference, I'd love to see it. But the line is just too subtlely
ridiculous for Lee. He was a fine writer, but had a very different sense
of the silly.

So how does that work? If you =might= do something wrong, your a threat,
but if you already have your a menace?

Bob

Crash

未读,
1996年2月24日 03:00:001996/2/24
收件人

> Does it predate Spider-Man? Does anyone know whether Threat or Menace?
> is a Stan Lee invention? It has a nice cold war ring to it. I could
> easily see it coming out of the mouth of Senator Joseph McCarthy, or
> Senator Jesse Helms, or President Patrick Buchanan...

I never made much sense to me, since a menace *is* a threat by
definition. HERO OR VILLAIN makes sense, but MENACE OR THREAT? What's
the difference?

Chris Bailey

"Men always call their superiors mad".
Doctor Doom

http://www.smartlink.net/~crash/

Steven Grant

未读,
1996年2月24日 03:00:001996/2/24
收件人
On Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:05:49 -0500, Blaise Byron Faint
<fa...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

>>Does it predate Spider-Man? Does anyone know whether Threat or Menace?

As far as I know, it's a Stanism, but who can truly say...

Steven Grant

未读,
1996年2月24日 03:00:001996/2/24
收件人

Now it can be told.

I started this thread because I had been on the phone with Bob, and he
told me he was going home after work to wait for a friend who was
going to set up an Internet connection on his computer. So I laid a
trap for him.

But either he hasn't found the place yet, or we scared him off...

Dave Rawson

未读,
1996年2月25日 03:00:001996/2/25
收件人
In <Pine.Sola.3.91.96022...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> Jim
Smith <jasm...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> writes:

>Gee whiz, could all you pros stop for a second and say _what_ Bob
Schreck

>has done that's so horrible? I never even heard of the guy until this
week!

>I will admit it's intersting that _every_ pro I can think of has
>responded to this thread...
>
>Jim "Figures Schreck is the amalgamted Anti-MOnslaughtor" Smith

My guess is someone figures Bob is lurking here, and most everyone is
trying to bait him into the sucking morass of posting so that he, too,
can surrender what life he might have outside comics.

Actually, Bob has done nothing. He's a great wit and profoundly
irreverent, quite able to demonstrate colorful, scathing comments
worthy of sailors or gypsies. Were he here and posting, the fun could
begin in earnest. Thus the barrage of playful barbs. Basically, folks
are hoping Bob will come out and play.

DCR

Lance Squiddie Smith

未读,
1996年2月25日 03:00:001996/2/25
收件人
fire...@panix.com (Elayne Wechsler-Chaput) writes:

>Bob Heer (bg...@freenet.toronto.on.ca) wrote:
>: From: Kurt Busiek <kbu...@ix.netcom.com>

>: > Words like "just" and "merely" don't belong in the same sentence with

>: > "Bob Schreck."
>: > Also words like "non-toxic," "ameliorate" and "reductive"...

>: sigh, not wise Kurt.

>: you keep this up and we'll =never= see any more of JONNY DEMON....

>: and then what will I and all the other fans of JD (yes, both of us) do?

>Oh, so *you're* the other JONNY DEMON fan! :)

Wait a minute! That would make three of us.

I've seen the sales figures for the JD mini. One of us must be an imposter!

==============================
Lance "Cr2O3.2H2O" Smith | "After taking one last furtive look back at the
(lsm...@cs.umn.edu) | house, Conradin quickly led Mr Peanut down to
For walk where we will, | the shed to meet the hutch-god."
we tread upon some story | _Sredni Plantar_

The Pulse

未读,
1996年2月26日 03:00:001996/2/26
收件人
Crash (cr...@smartlink.net) wrote:

: > Does it predate Spider-Man? Does anyone know whether Threat or Menace?

: > is a Stan Lee invention? It has a nice cold war ring to it. I could

: > easily see it coming out of the mouth of Senator Joseph McCarthy, or
: > Senator Jesse Helms, or President Patrick Buchanan...

: I never made much sense to me, since a menace *is* a threat by
: definition. HERO OR VILLAIN makes sense, but MENACE OR THREAT? What's
: the difference?

Remember, Jolly Jonah Jameson used it in his anti-spider-man editorials,
and he wasn't the most subtle of editors...

(and yes, it's definetely a Stan Lee invention, used i believe in Jameson's
first anti-spidey campaign.)

Kurt Busiek

未读,
1996年2月26日 03:00:001996/2/26
收件人
mwi...@cs.vu.nl (The Pulse) wrote:

>Crash (cr...@smartlink.net) wrote:
>
>(and yes, it's definetely a Stan Lee invention, used i believe in Jameson's
>first anti-spidey campaign.)

Jameson's first anti-Spidey campaign was simply a headline reading
"SPIDER-MAN MENACE" and TV broadcasts calling him a "masked menace."

After Steven Grant's recent comment that he'd seen it in a Lee/Ditko
SPIDEY, I flipped through the run of them and didn't find it. That
doesn't mean it's not there -- my search was fairly desultory -- but
in general, Stan didn't play Jonah quite _that_) broadly.

I remember it being a common shorthand well before that Frank Miller
SPIDEY ANNUAL that someone cited; if it didn't actually turn up in
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN prior to that, my money would be on NOT BRAND ECCH.

kurt

Yeechang Lee

未读,
1996年2月26日 03:00:001996/2/26
收件人
David Goldfarb <gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
| John Byrne referred to the line in the issue of _Fantastic Four_
|where Sue miscarries. Reed talked Otto Octavius into helping out,
|but on the way to the hospital Octavius breaks down again. "He must
|have seen one of those Daily Bugle billboards!" theorizes Reed.
|"J. Jonah Jameson has 'Spider-Man: Threat or Menace' plastered all
|over the city!"

Speaking of the FF, they've known Spidey since the beginning of his
(and their) career. Same with the Avengers--Spidey's even a (former?)
reserve member, and has been offered full membership at least once.
Other heroes know of Spidey's heroics, and how he's literally saved
the nation, the planet, the universe more than once.

So why doesn't Mister Fantastic or Cap ever say anything to the press
in ol' Webhead's defense when Jameson starts one of his anti-Spidey
press campaigns? A simple "Spider-Man is a hero, and should be
applauded for his good deeds" would work wonders for his public rep,
no? Or do they not bother because Jameson isn't taken seriously by
the public? And if that's true, why do bystanders constantly say
"Jameson's right! Spider-Man _is_ a menace!" even while Spidey's
battling some villain in front of their faces?

(Crossposted and followups set to rac.marvel.universe)
--
http://www.columbia.edu/~ylee/ _.
icbm://40.83.-73.91/ __./ |

Marv Wolfman

未读,
1996年2月26日 03:00:001996/2/26
收件人
In article <4gskb3$i...@reader2.ix.netcom.com>, Kurt Busiek
<kbu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> mwi...@cs.vu.nl (The Pulse) wrote:
> >Crash (cr...@smartlink.net) wrote:
> >
> >(and yes, it's definetely a Stan Lee invention, used i believe in Jameson's
> >first anti-spidey campaign.)
>
> Jameson's first anti-Spidey campaign was simply a headline reading
> "SPIDER-MAN MENACE" and TV broadcasts calling him a "masked menace."
>
> After Steven Grant's recent comment that he'd seen it in a Lee/Ditko
> SPIDEY, I flipped through the run of them and didn't find it. That
> doesn't mean it's not there -- my search was fairly desultory -- but
> in general, Stan didn't play Jonah quite _that_) broadly.

Actually, Kurt, if memory serves, the Threat or Menace headline actually
comes from The National Lampoon, not Stan. They were doing some parody
newspaper or something--one of their specials, and used the line. Your
research was good in that you turned up no evidence...as well you should.

--
Marv

BradW8

未读,
1996年2月26日 03:00:001996/2/26
收件人
>>Maybe the "threat or menace" tag line comes from outside the comics
field.

There's a whole set of phrases relating to speechmaking/writing.
"View with Alarm," "Point with Pride," "Mine Eyes Glaze Over." I think
"Threat or Menace" is of this ilk.
Lord Julius once spoke of a political symposium -- "Graft: Boon or
Blessing?"

SRoweCanoe

未读,
1996年2月26日 03:00:001996/2/26
收件人
Maybe the "threat or menace" tag line comes from outside the comics field.
Any early issue of National Lampoon (c1970) had an issue titled
"Pornography: Threat or Menace?" This is when comics peoplelike Joe
Orlando did work there.

Steven Rowe

Luc de Chancenotte

未读,
1996年2月27日 03:00:001996/2/27
收件人
In article <4gjcpi$i...@panix.com>,

fire...@panix.com (Elayne Wechsler-Chaput) wrote:
>Bob Heer (bg...@freenet.toronto.on.ca) wrote:
>: From: Kurt Busiek <kbu...@ix.netcom.com>
>: > > I must have missed the beginning of this thread. . . why is everybody
>: > >so fired up about Bob Schreck? Isn't he just an editor at DHC?

Good question . What exactly is going on ?
Why are pros insulting this guy ?
Or is this just a joke ?

Luc.

Dave Rawson

未读,
1996年2月27日 03:00:001996/2/27
收件人
d...@teleport.com (Bob Schreck) wrote:

>Okay, you bastards! Here I am. Behold, this accursed ugliness! I am a
>total newbie at this, so rather than screw-up

Screw ups are as inevitable as falling down while a toddler. I suppose
it's whatever semblance of grace one can muster (while getting up
after having fallen down in a very public venue) that measures one's
learning curve in this arena.

Here's some of my top tips (for whatever that might be worth):

1) Don't reply while online. Learn to download messages and reply
offline. This allows a considered response (ie. It's eaiser to change
your message BEFORE you send it).

2) Never post in the heat of anger. It's okay to compose mail with
righteous indignation in it, but it's always better to let the steel
cool as you're forging it. It'll cut closer the real point you want to
make if you give it time to properly form.

3) Try not to ascribe to malice what often is due to ignorance. This
is hard because some world views seem so divergent. Try asking for
clarifications. If you get the idea the other person is being a jerk,
or is simply painful to communicate with, don't waste your time. There
are lots of folks who are more enjoyable and life is too short.

4) Imagine you are just arrived at a noisy, crowded party. You job?
Have a good time. Find convivial company. Ignore the drunks and bozos.
It takes awhile. It's worth the effort.

4a) If you see posts like this:
YOU RAT FART!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-- you can bet every repetitive keystroke acurately reflects the
precise degree of inebriation of the poster.

>Thanks to Steve Grant for the warm welcome to the net and all those that
>swarmed like the good little velociraptors you are! Oh, and who the fuck
>*is* Bob Schreck, anyway?

Jeeze, you're the one who's supposed to know...

DCR

The Pulse

未读,
1996年2月28日 03:00:001996/2/28
收件人
Kevin J. Maroney (ke...@crossover.com) wrote:
: au...@nic.com (Augie De Blieck Jr) wrote:

: >: I'd buy that for a dollar.

: >
: >Not a chance, Kevin. It would have to be $2.50!

: And that's why I said what I said.

Well, a dollar for an Extreme title is still $0.99 too much, unless
of course you'r out of toilet paper ;-}

Jim Smith

未读,
1996年2月29日 03:00:001996/2/29
收件人

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Spackle wrote:

> erIn article <dhc-280296...@ip-pdx10-18.teleport.com>,

> d...@teleport.com (Michael [DHC] Winston) wrote:
>
> > Thanks to Steve Grant for the warm welcome to the net and all those that
> > swarmed like the good little velociraptors you are! Oh, and who the fuck
> > *is* Bob Schreck, anyway?
>

> We've covered this already. He's a threat and a menace. Please try to
> pay attention. ;)
> Damn newbies. Next thing you know, he'll be writing Bob "The
> Menacethreat" Schreck, and then this newsgroup will plunge further down
> the tubes. ;)

Yeah.

Jim "The Menacethre--HEEEEEEEEYYYY! That's not very nice!" Smith

John Saponaro

未读,
1996年2月29日 03:00:001996/2/29
收件人
In my opinion, a menace is more definite than a threat.

Sean Med

未读,
1996年3月1日 03:00:001996/3/1
收件人
In article: <4gm71h$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> sea...@aol.com (Sean Med)
writes:

> >Gee whiz, could all you pros stop for a second and say _what_ Bob
Schreck
> >has done that's so horrible?

I didn't write that. I have a sense of irony, after all.

Sean

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

未读,
1996年3月2日 03:00:001996/3/2
收件人
Dave Rawson (dcra...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: Neither Salata or NetCom directly allows it. Outside vendors supply
: software additions that exploit the two very different environments.

And of course Carl Fink has also corrected me by stating you can read
offline with Panix too. I don't *have* to, as Panix offers unlimited
access for a flat fee, and I highly doubt I can offline read *anything*
much with a whopping 20mb hard drive <g>, but Carl's supposedly going to
help me with this so who knows?

: Regardless, I'm VERY impressed that you do all your writing online!

Well, at home it drives my friends nuts 'cause we don't have a dedicated
line. But yeah, I do all my writing online, and usually extemporaneously.

: BTW, can you cut and paste from online
: to hard drive files? Often this allows folks to get offline to do
: their composing and save online charges.

When I'm at work on my computer with Windows, I can cut and paste stuff
from hard drive files online. I've actually never tried it the other way
around; I suppose I ought to just for experimentation's sake. But it's
kind of a moot point, since it looks to be more trouble than it's worth,
and I really don't *need* to since I pay no online charges beyond my
yearly user fee.

- Elayne
--
E-Mail me, the "Firehead Head," for more info about the official ()~~
Firesign Theatre newsletter, Four-Alarm FIRESIGNal, available via ##
snail mail or free online! "I couldn't get you to believe my name ##
was Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, could I?" _##_

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

未读,
1996年3月2日 03:00:001996/3/2
收件人
Carl Fink (ca...@panix.com) wrote:

: I'm forced to disagree. Panix *does* allow offline reading, Elayne
: just never asked anyone how to do it. Say, me. I do it every day.

Thanks for the correction, Carl. So, um, you comin' over and helpin' my
poor widdle 20mb hard drive do this? :)

已删除帖子
0 个新帖子