What's wrong with Triathlon, anyway?

hobn...@my-deja.com

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
I'll answer your question in a minute. But first let me tell you why I
LIKE the character:

Controversy!!! And lot's of it! This guy's loyalty is unknown, even to
himself. He works for an organization of evil, but doesn't know it.
We all know he's gonna eventually find out he's been duped, and we're
all drooling to see how bad he's going to flip out. He's not generally
liked by the Avengers, and in some cases, he's flat out not wanted.
He's not wringing his hands with delight behind the Avengers' backs
while saying "Soon I shall destroy you all!!!! HaHaHaHaHaHa!!", but his
presence is a breach of security.

In short, Triathlon's circumstances will lead to some really great story
lines.

Why I don't like him:

A black friend of mine once challenged me to name a black Marvel
character who didn't have lame powers. Aside from Storm, he had me
beat. The few characters I could name were worthless, under-used, and
often amounted to nothing more than angry black men with super
strength. (Rage 'n Cage) to name a few.

In short: He's agile, but he's no Spider-man; He's fast, but he's no
Quicksilver; He's can fight; but he's no Captain America; He's strong,
but benchpressing a ton and a half is pretty lame by Marvel standards.
BESIDES!!! Wasn't there a failed TEEN TITANS book (The team was led by
the Atom) where one of the members had FIVE times the abilities of a
man? Even the CONCEPT of Triathlon's powers isn't original.

In short, Black Panther shouldn't be concerned about being out-shined
by this guy.

Finally, if you were to change him into an Asian girl, and tack on a
bio-electric punch, you'd have instant Jolt.

In case you haven't guessed, all my objections to the character are all
power related. Change the powers and I promise to buy the action
figure.

-Hob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Emanuel Jacobowitz

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:03:14 GMT, hobn...@my-deja.com wrote:

>In short, Triathlon's circumstances will lead to some really great story
>lines.
>
>Why I don't like him:
>

>In short: He's agile, but he's no Spider-man; He's fast, but he's no
>Quicksilver; He's can fight; but he's no Captain America; He's strong,
>but benchpressing a ton and a half is pretty lame by Marvel standards.
>BESIDES!!! Wasn't there a failed TEEN TITANS book (The team was led by
>the Atom) where one of the members had FIVE times the abilities of a
>man? Even the CONCEPT of Triathlon's powers isn't original.

>In case you haven't guessed, all my objections to the character are all
>power related. Change the powers and I promise to buy the action
>figure.

Yeah, but change the powers and you'd have to change the name, and
probably the costume. And since we don't know him too well yet, you
might as well just introduce a different character entirely.

Besides, I like the way he makes the most out of what he has. He's
using every bit of that triple agility & strength, with a lot of
intelligence (hey, is he gonna develop Reed Richards level smarts,
too? It would be fun to see him suddenly turn up spouting perfectly
remembered military history & tactics). Realistic or not, the
Avengers have always had a place for mere humans on the roster.

And, btw, how sure are you that he couldn't beat Cap?

MannyJ

Dale Hicks

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
hobn...@my-deja.com wrote in article <8mhveh$2nl$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

> Why I don't like him:
>
> A black friend of mine once challenged me to name a black Marvel
> character who didn't have lame powers. Aside from Storm, he had me
> beat. The few characters I could name were worthless, under-used, and
> often amounted to nothing more than angry black men with super
> strength.

I heard that Kurt first considered creating the character Googlathalon,
but Tom thought it would be hard to write stories where the rest of
the team had something to do.

--
Cranial Crusader dgh...@bellsouth.net

DAMONO

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
The great Hob stated:

>In short: He's agile, but he's no Spider-man; He's fast, but he's no
>Quicksilver; He's can fight; but he's no Captain America; He's strong,
>but benchpressing a ton and a half is pretty lame by Marvel standards.
>BESIDES!!

What is you say is correct, but couldn't you say the same thing about
virtually any character? I mean, you could say Captain America is strong, but
he's not as strong as Spider-Man; He's agile, but he's not as agile as
Daredevil; He's smart, but he's not as smart as Reed Richards. But that
doesn't make Captain America a lame character.

>Wasn't there a failed TEEN TITANS book (The team was led by
>the Atom) where one of the members had FIVE times the abilities of a
>man? Even the CONCEPT of Triathlon's powers isn't original.

Yes, but that Teen Titans character is pre-dated by Marvel's own 3-D Man,
whom
Triathlon's powers are based on (Tri even wears that concentric triangle design
that 3-D Man wore). I'm sure that in time, we'll see how Tri's abilities are
related to those of the 3-D Man.

Damon

Rob Hansen

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 06:11:34 GMT, "Dale Hicks"
<dgh...@bellSPAMLESSsouth.net> wrote:

>I heard that Kurt first considered creating the character Googlathalon,

Sounds like one of those 1950s Marvel monsters: "I Stood Alone Against
Googlathon!!"
--

Rob Hansen
Home Page: http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/rob/

Kevin J. Maroney

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
dam...@aol.com (DAMONO) wrote:
> Yes, but that Teen Titans character is pre-dated by Marvel's own 3-D Man,
>whom Triathlon's powers are based on (Tri even wears that concentric triangle
>design that 3-D Man wore). I'm sure that in time, we'll see how Tri's abilities
>are related to those of the 3-D Man.

Is there any reason to believe that the leader of the Triune
Understanding is *not* the 3-D Man?

--
Kevin J. Maroney | Unplugged Games | kmar...@ungames.com
"Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Maroney. You are free

snake

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Has anyone seen the new Avengers cover #33 (upcoming release on
the net) or anywhere else?

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Tom Galloway

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
In article <8ihuossl0ngov879g...@4ax.com>,

Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote:
>Is there any reason to believe that the leader of the Triune
>Understanding is *not* the 3-D Man?

Well, first off, recall that the 3-D Man was sorta kinda two guys. Chuck,
the actual 3-D Man, was last seen still trapped as a pair of images on
the glasses of his brother. The brother, who if I'm recalling correctly,
went unconscious when he released the 3-D Man (and I think may have had
a mental connection with 3-D) looked about as unlike Tremont as you can
get; heavy-rimmed glasses and a blond crewcut. I believe their last name
was Chandler.

So, so far at least, there's been no reason I can tell to think Jonathan
Tremont is either of the Chandler brothers.

tyg t...@netcom.com

drobbins

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote in article
<8ihuossl0ngov879g...@4ax.com>...

> dam...@aol.com (DAMONO) wrote:
> > Yes, but that Teen Titans character is pre-dated by Marvel's own 3-D
Man,
> >whom Triathlon's powers are based on (Tri even wears that concentric
triangle
> >design that 3-D Man wore). I'm sure that in time, we'll see how Tri's
abilities
> >are related to those of the 3-D Man.
>
> Is there any reason to believe that the leader of the Triune
> Understanding is *not* the 3-D Man?

Nah. Couldn't be.
Why, if that were true, it would mean Kurt was the slyest,
most devious, most contunuity-cognizant creator in all of comidom.
I mean, can you imagine Kurt trying to spring a surprise on anybody?

:)
David

Dave Van Domelen

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
In article <8mnoeq$ta5$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>,
Tom Galloway <t...@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <8ihuossl0ngov879g...@4ax.com>,

>Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@ungames.com> wrote:
>>Is there any reason to believe that the leader of the Triune
>>Understanding is *not* the 3-D Man?
>
>Well, first off, recall that the 3-D Man was sorta kinda two guys. Chuck,
>the actual 3-D Man, was last seen still trapped as a pair of images on
>the glasses of his brother. The brother, who if I'm recalling correctly,
>went unconscious when he released the 3-D Man (and I think may have had
>a mental connection with 3-D) looked about as unlike Tremont as you can
>get; heavy-rimmed glasses and a blond crewcut. I believe their last name
>was Chandler.
>
>So, so far at least, there's been no reason I can tell to think Jonathan
>Tremont is either of the Chandler brothers.

Which is why I think he's a Dire Wraith who has duplicated his former
foe's powers in Triathlon as a form of ironic revenge.

Dave Van Domelen, maybe a male (scientific) DW who picked up forbidden
magic....

Danny Sichel

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> Dave Van Domelen, maybe a male (scientific) DW who picked up forbidden
> magic...

Van Domelen's a Dire Wraith!

Get him!

hobn...@my-deja.com

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <20000806094458...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,

dam...@aol.com (DAMONO) wrote:
> The great Hob stated:
>
> >In short: He's agile, but he's no Spider-man; He's fast, but he's no
> >Quicksilver; He's can fight; but he's no Captain America; He's
strong,
> >but benchpressing a ton and a half is pretty lame by Marvel
standards.
> >BESIDES!!
>
> What is you say is correct, but couldn't you say the same thing
about
> virtually any character? I mean, you could say Captain America is
strong, but
> he's not as strong as Spider-Man; He's agile, but he's not as agile as
> Daredevil; He's smart, but he's not as smart as Reed Richards. But
that
> doesn't make Captain America a lame character.

Firstly, thanks for your input and viewpoint (and for calling
me "great")

Secondly, yes you can strip down most characters who's powers are (more
or less) souped up human. However, most of these characters were
created at a time when the whole "slightly faster than human" "slightly
stronger than human" thing was still fresh and new.

Also, these characters survive because their history forms the
foundation of the marvel universe.

Finally, besides his shady past, Tri doesn't seem to have anything that
distinguishes himself from all other similarly powered characters.
They could have drawn from the whole "recovering addict" storyline, but
Warbird already has that angle covered.

Daredevil has the blind thing and billy club thing.
Spiderman has powers that are more than just "enhanced human" so he
doesn't even belong in this category.
Black Widow has her spy/criminal history and her funky bracelets.
Black Panther has his African history.
Captain America has his shield and WWII history.
Moon Knight has... (I'll get back to you on this.)
Black Knight has his sword and magical background.

What original quality distinguishes Triathlon?

If you choose to answer this, please keep in mind that the ONLY problem
I have with Triathlon are his powers. Power him up and I'll buy the
action figure.

-Just Hob

Priest

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
[SHAMELESS PLUG]

I TRI my hand at the character in BLACK PANTHER #23, which should be on
sale, ah, next week I think. Guest starring DEADPOOL and the AVENGERS.
Kurt called and asked me, specifically, to feature Tri (which is why he
gets accidentally catnapped by Achebe in DEADPOOL #44... Tri, not Kurt).
It's a *really* fun issue with brilliant art by Sal Velluto and Bob
Almond. Have a peek and let me know what you think!

[/SHAMELESS PLUG]

Best,

cjp
DVD is a Dire Wraith

Justin Bacon

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <398cc132...@nntp.uchicago.edu>, efja...@uchicago.edu
(Emanuel Jacobowitz) writes:

>And, btw, how sure are you that he couldn't beat Cap?

Nobody beats Cap. ;)

Justin Bacon
tria...@aol.com

Justin Bacon

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <8mhveh$2nl$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, hobn...@my-deja.com writes:

>A black friend of mine once challenged me to name a black Marvel
>character who didn't have lame powers. Aside from Storm, he had me
>beat.

I've always liked Black Panther. I mean, sure, he has no innate powers -- but I
don't think you can get a much better role model than a super-genius who uses
his great mental and physical gifts to help people and modernize his African
nation.

I don't think I've ever read a Black Panther story in which he was well used
since Kirby used him in the FF in the '60s -- but, still, an impressive
character. Especially given the time period he was created in. Outshines the
blaxploitation characters of the '70s considerably.

From another message:

> What original quality distinguishes Triathlon?

He's a member of the Triune. For the moment, that's enough.

In the future? Who knows. I still think it's an even money bet that he's going
to end up being a villain.

Justin Bacon
tria...@aol.com

4th_Doctor

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Early on, when it was hinted that the Triune leader gained
"power" from the believers, I began to wonder about Triathalon.
Are his abilities symbiotic with the Triune leader? After the
Triune is defeated (inevitable conclusion), will Triathalon
still have his abilities?

Just thinking aloud
The Doc

thebaron2099

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
.

>I don't think I've ever read a Black Panther story in which he
was well used
>since Kirby used him in the FF in the '60s -- but, still, an
impressive
>character. Especially given the time period he was created in.
Outshines the
>blaxploitation characters of the '70s considerably.

Have you been reading his current series? It's great! I think
he's being used pretty dang well right now.

Why are so many people getting annoyed with characters simply
because of their powers? That seems like a lame reason not to
like a character. I like characters with more interesting powers
- not necessarily powers that will help him kick somebody's butt
a little better. The whole point is that Triathlon is the
Triune's Poster Boy - the number three is important in his whole
gig. I'm sure he'll fill out better once the Triune story kicks
into full gear...

Andy

Tom Galloway

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <GFgk5.11351$gW5.7...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Priest <cpr...@priest.com> wrote:
>Kurt called and asked me, specifically, to feature Tri (which is why he
>gets accidentally catnapped by Achebe in DEADPOOL #44... Tri, not Kurt).

Aw, heck. Couldn't you have Achebe already have Kurt hostage?

tyg t...@netcom.com

Trevor Barrie

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <20000809144507...@nso-fj.aol.com>,
Justin Bacon <tria...@aol.com> wrote:

>>A black friend of mine once challenged me to name a black Marvel
>>character who didn't have lame powers. Aside from Storm, he had me
>>beat.
>
>I've always liked Black Panther. I mean, sure, he has no innate powers --
>but I don't think you can get a much better role model than a super-genius
>who uses his great mental and physical gifts to help people and modernize
>his African nation.
>

>I don't think I've ever read a Black Panther story in which he was well used
>since Kirby used him in the FF in the '60s

What don't you like about the way he's used in his current series? Or have
you just not read those stories?

DAMONO

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
More insight from Hob!:

>Firstly, thanks for your input and viewpoint (and for calling
>me "great")

And I meant that, you made good points.

>Secondly, yes you can strip down most characters who's powers are (more
>or less) souped up human. However, most of these characters were
>created at a time when the whole "slightly faster than human" "slightly
>stronger than human" thing was still fresh and new.
>
>Also, these characters survive because their history forms the
>foundation of the marvel universe.
>
>Finally, besides his shady past, Tri doesn't seem to have anything that
>distinguishes himself from all other similarly powered characters.
>They could have drawn from the whole "recovering addict" storyline, but
>Warbird already has that angle covered.
>
>Daredevil has the blind thing and billy club thing.
>Spiderman has powers that are more than just "enhanced human" so he
>doesn't even belong in this category.
>Black Widow has her spy/criminal history and her funky bracelets.
>Black Panther has his African history.
>Captain America has his shield and WWII history.
>Moon Knight has... (I'll get back to you on this.)
>Black Knight has his sword and magical background.
>

>What original quality distinguishes Triathlon?

Keep in mind that Tri is a relatively new character, and we still don't know
the whole story on him. I think we will eventually, then I'll be in a better
position to address your question. But keep in mind that of all the characters
you mentioned,
even the most recently created one (Moon Knight) is over 20 years old. I think
one would be hard pressed to find ANY totally original quality in a modern day
comics character. Almost every character today probably has another character
that predates him/her with some similiar aspect. Even Capt. America, who
debuted back in the forties, wasn't the first patriotically garbed super-hero
(the SHIELD was). Yet that didn't prevent Cap from becoming the greatest of
all those type characters.

Oh, and one more thing from one of your earlier posts: You had mentioned
that a friend challenged you to name a black Marvel super-hero that didn't have
a lame power, and Storm was the only one that came to mind. I'd say that
Captain Marvel (now Photon) is a very powerful character.
She almost took down Zeus by herself, and even had Thor in awe of her. She
even had the X-Men nervous in that X-MEN vs. AVENGERS limited series from years
ago.
I'm glad to see her back in AVENGERS INFINITY.

Damon

JVV4sm

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

>I TRI my hand at the character in BLACK PANTHER #23, which should be on
>sale, ah, next week I think. Guest starring DEADPOOL and the AVENGERS.
>Kurt called and asked me, specifically, to feature Tri (which is why he
>gets accidentally catnapped by Achebe in DEADPOOL #44... Tri, not Kurt).
>It's a *really* fun issue with brilliant art by Sal Velluto and Bob
>Almond. Have a peek and let me know what you think!

I hope he doesn't guest-star just because both characters are black.

MemberMe

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

JVV4sm wrote in message <20000810120147...@ng-md1.aol.com>...

>sing songy< sommebodyyyyy's aaa rrraaaaacccciiiiisssssttt

no.fun@all

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Am Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:37:42 GMT, sog sich "Priest"
<cpr...@priest.com> aus den Fingern:

>[SHAMELESS PLUG]

>I TRI my hand at the character in BLACK PANTHER #23, which should be on
>sale, ah, next week I think. Guest starring DEADPOOL and the AVENGERS.
>Kurt called and asked me, specifically, to feature Tri (which is why he
>gets accidentally catnapped by Achebe in DEADPOOL #44... Tri, not Kurt).
>It's a *really* fun issue with brilliant art by Sal Velluto and Bob
>Almond. Have a peek and let me know what you think!
>

>[/SHAMELESS PLUG]
>
>Best,
>
>cjp

OK, you wanted it that way. Now it's my time to hurt egos... ;-)

I am no regular Deadpool reader, I only bought three issues - the
Spider-Man homage, the recent issue with Thor and the one you mention
(DP #44). Alas, I cannot say that I ever "got" Deadpool and this issue
did not help me either. Do not get me wrong - the story was as good as
any I would expect from you. But whenever it tried to get funny (which
it did a lot) it failed me. Nothing of all the fun that I read about
in this very newsgroup.

Some details that I liked: The video conference of Tony and Hank/Janet
showed their "alter egos"; Deadpool and KillPanther stopping their
fight to discuss moves.

What I found strange: The van breaks into Avengers compound and none
of the automatic security devices spring to action? Deadpool is able
to smuggle a weapon into the Avengers house?

As I monthly follow the adventures of the Black Panther and the
Avengers (both with great excite and pleasure) I had to buy this
issue, but it will be the last Deadpool for a long time (or untill
there is another crossover...).

Sorry, I did not think it was a "*really* fun issue with brilliant
art". The art was less than what I am used of the team Velluto/Almond
from Black Panther, almost as if they had to hurry to finish the
issue.

A little more related to the subject a question I should probably
direct to Mr. Busiek, but maybe you would like to comment, too:

In Avengers #32, page 4, panel 3, Jarvis turns to Triathlon and says
"Excude me, Triathlon...". "Triathlon"? Not "Master Triathlon"? Since
when does Jarvis address members of the Avengers without "Master" or
"Miss"?! He does it in Deadpool #44, he does it in Hellcat #2 -
whenever I can remember. Was it because

a) The writer slipped (can't be)?
b) There was not enough room in the speech baloon?
c) The letterer slipped?
d) Jarvis does not have enough respect for Triathlon (can't be because
he calls him "Sir" a few panels after this).
e) Other reasons

Markus

Visit the Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators at
http://members.tripod.de/maelmill/index.htm or at
http://www.geocities.com/paulo_costa_2000/

JVV4sm

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
>JVV4sm wrote in message <20000810120147...@ng-md1.aol.com>...
>>>
>>>I TRI my hand at the character in BLACK PANTHER #23, which should be on
>>>sale, ah, next week I think. Guest starring DEADPOOL and the AVENGERS.
>>>Kurt called and asked me, specifically, to feature Tri (which is why he
>>>gets accidentally catnapped by Achebe in DEADPOOL #44... Tri, not Kurt).
>>>It's a *really* fun issue with brilliant art by Sal Velluto and Bob
>>>Almond. Have a peek and let me know what you think!
>>
>>I hope he doesn't guest-star just because both characters are black.
>
> >sing songy< sommebodyyyyy's aaa rrraaaaacccciiiiisssssttt

On the contrary, I think it would be more racist to think, "Hmm.....where
should Triathlon make an appearance outside the Avengers? I know! He should
be in the Black Panther -- they are both black, so it will seem natual!"

KurtBusiek

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
>>In Avengers #32, page 4, panel 3, Jarvis turns to Triathlon and says "Excude
me, Triathlon...". "Triathlon"? Not "Master Triathlon"? Since when does Jarvis
address members of the Avengers without "Master" or "Miss"?! >>

Since vol. 3 #1, or thereabouts. I had Jarvis stop doing that as a general
rule. It seemed servile, and while Jarvis is respectful of the Avengers, he's
not servile, and it didn't ring right to me.

kurt
The SUPERSTAR Ashcan, by Busiek & Immonen, is now available online, at the
ApeNation Trading Post! Plus: Check out SHOCKROCKETS and other Gorilla comics
FREE at the site!
http://www.apenation.com/

Todd VerBeek

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00

Our friend KurtBusiek said:
>Since vol. 3 #1, or thereabouts. I had Jarvis stop doing that as a general
>rule. It seemed servile, and while Jarvis is respectful of the Avengers, he's
>not servile, and it didn't ring right to me.

Kind of a missed opportunity, though. I would've liked to see Triathlon
comment that Jarvis' "Master"s creeped him out.

Cheers, Todd
--
I'm an optimist: the glass is empty, but maybe =someday= it'll be half full.

jacq...@my-deja.com

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00

> A black friend of mine once challenged me to name a black Marvel
> character who didn't have lame powers. Aside from Storm, he had me
> beat.

What about Cloak ? I thought it was a pretty good power (even though
there's the Shroud who has almost the same power). War Machine ?
It's harder to find an American Native with a cool power. (There's that
Alpha Flight chick but she hasn't been seen in a while... Even there,
it's somewhat stereotypical).

The few characters I could name were worthless, under-used, and
> often amounted to nothing more than angry black men with super

> strength. (Rage 'n Cage) to name a few.

> the Atom) where one of the members had FIVE times the abilities of a
> man? Even the CONCEPT of Triathlon's powers isn't original.

The obvious link, is the 3D man from the 1950's. (For those who read
the "first line" comics of untold Marvel stories and who have old
issues of What If ? and the Hulk). (The costume is almost identical).

JG

--
Private replies to this post will be automatically
deleted. Please reply in same newsgroup.

no.fun@all

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
Am 11 Aug 2000 03:18:24 GMT, sog sich kurtb...@aol.comics
(KurtBusiek) aus den Fingern:

>>>In Avengers #32, page 4, panel 3, Jarvis turns to Triathlon and says "Excude
>me, Triathlon...". "Triathlon"? Not "Master Triathlon"? Since when does Jarvis
>address members of the Avengers without "Master" or "Miss"?! >>
>

>Since vol. 3 #1, or thereabouts. I had Jarvis stop doing that as a general
>rule. It seemed servile, and while Jarvis is respectful of the Avengers, he's
>not servile, and it didn't ring right to me.
>

>kurt

Really? I haven't even noticed. And as a "punishment" for not reading
your stories as carefully as I should, I gladly take on me the task to
read all Avengers vol.3 again. :-)

Thanks for answering me.

Isaac

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
On 11 Aug 2000 02:37:37 GMT, JVV4sm <jvv...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote:

>On the contrary, I think it would be more racist to think, "Hmm.....where
>should Triathlon make an appearance outside the Avengers? I know! He should
>be in the Black Panther -- they are both black, so it will seem natual!"

If he does show up in the book, what will be the evidence that it was because
they were both black? Will it be because like most unusual team ups, it
looks contrived?

Isaac

Michael Encinas

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
jacq...@my-deja.com wrote:

> > A black friend of mine once challenged me to name a black Marvel
> > character who didn't have lame powers. Aside from Storm, he had me
> > beat.

I love Photon/Captain Marvel. I think she is potentially one of the most
powerful Marvel characters.

Michael

Priest

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00

Isaac <is...@latveria.castledoom.org> wrote in message

I went out of my way to make this one less contrived than your average
forced team-up. I won't speak for Kurt (hi, Kurt), but our discussion of
the current AVENGERS guest shot in this month's DEADPOOL #44-PANTHER #23
"Cat Trap" x/o had absolutely, positively not one iota to do with race.
I just asked him who was going to be in the new AV lineup, and we talked
about the story and, for the purposes of the story, Triathlon seemed a
good candidate for Achebe's shenanigans.

It never once crossed my mind that the race thing would really play,
mainly because I had not much clue who Tri was (I thought he was Cuban),
and wasn't following the Triathlon discussions here. I hope you like
what Tom, Kurt and I came up with. The only bit of contrivance there is
probably easily dismissed as Achebe's insanity.

Or mine...

The last time we used the AV's in PANTHER, we shot THOR in the head.
Using Thor was Tom Brevoort's suggestion (I just wanted to shoot one of
the AV's in the head, didn't matter which one). Now, maybe THAT was
racially motivated. :-)

Best,

cjp

JVV4sm

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
Glad to hear it.

BUt what's this about Brother Voodoo, Power Man, and the Falcon appearing in
the next issue to form the AfricanAmerican Avengers?

Isaac

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
On 12 Aug 2000 11:25:24 GMT, JVV4sm <jvv...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>Glad to hear it.
>
>BUt what's this about Brother Voodoo, Power Man, and the Falcon appearing in
>the next issue to form the AfricanAmerican Avengers?

Yeah. There are so few black Superheroes that any group of three or
more has got to be some affirmative action thing. I know you're joking
around, but I find it hard to see much humor in this. Especially when
your remarks don't seem completely all in fun.

Isaac

Paul O'Brien

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
In article <zj7l5.15384$gW5.9...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Priest <cpr...@priest.com> writes

>The last time we used the AV's in PANTHER, we shot THOR in the head.
>Using Thor was Tom Brevoort's suggestion (I just wanted to shoot one of
>the AV's in the head, didn't matter which one). Now, maybe THAT was
>racially motivated. :-)

Blasted Norwegian-hater!

Paul O'Brien
THE X-AXIS REVIEWS - http://www.esoterica.demon.co.uk

Rebekah Wade should be shot. (But not by vigilantes, of course.)

Grimbiskit

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
<< The last time we used the AV's in PANTHER, we shot THOR in the head.
Using Thor was Tom Brevoort's suggestion (I just wanted to shoot one of
the AV's in the head, didn't matter which one). Now, maybe THAT was
racially motivated. :-)

Best,
cjp >>

No, it was just really, really, funny.
=)

Hosun Specious Lee

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
: Priest <cpr...@priest.com> wrote:
: >Kurt called and asked me, specifically, to feature Tri (which is why he

: >gets accidentally catnapped by Achebe in DEADPOOL #44... Tri, not Kurt).

: Aw, heck. Couldn't you have Achebe already have Kurt hostage?

Triathlon's more dramatic because he has to be held hostage three times as
much as a normal hostage, with three times the tension.

--
\\ \\ Hosun S. Lee // Vorpal Bunny(TM) // http://www.vorpalbunny.com
\\-\\ "Why it is that Xavier's team has impressive skills, while

snake

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Triathlon should be thrown away; he was a bad idead for a
character to start with. Black Panther, Blade these are cool
African American Characters.

Peter Likidis

Aug 14, 2000, 8:20:41 PM8/14/00

snake wrote:

> Triathlon should be thrown away; he was a bad idead for a
> character to start with. Black Panther, Blade these are cool
> African American Characters.

You don't seem to grasp the simple fact Triathalon is there for a
specific reason. Mainly to bridge the gap between the Avengers and
Truines. Cause a little bit of trouble and argue with them. Also I am
sure when the final battle comes there will the that monumental decision
to have to choose sides.

Of course I am only assuming you have a reason for liking Triathalon you
just never say it past "triathlon sucks".

Jonathan Moyer

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
snake <wenchbreak...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Triathlon should be thrown away; he was a bad idead for a
> character to start with. Black Panther, Blade these are cool
> African American Characters.

I thought that of Triathlon too when I saw how he was making snide comments
all the time. However, I think the character has real potential -- it will
be interesting to see how he overcomes his bitterness and prejudice, and his
prescence on the Avengers provides an interesting tension. He seems to have
some loyalty to his new superteam (and She Hulk seems to like him -- lucky
Tri ;-) ), so he's not all bad. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing
Triathlon, after he gains more experience and overcomes some of his
difficulties, blossoming into a leader like Captain America.

DAMONO

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
The one and only Jonathan Moyer commented:

>I thought that of Triathlon too when I saw how he was making snide comments
>all the time. However, I think the character has real potential -- it will
>be interesting to see how he overcomes his bitterness and prejudice, and his
>prescence on the Avengers provides an interesting tension.

Despite all of the negative comments about Triathlon, I can't think of a
comics hero in years that has generated as much discussion as he has. Months
after his joining the Avengers, he is still generating discussion. And while
I'm at it, I'll ask a question to the informed masses here that I asked on the
AOL Marvel message boards that didn't get much response, and here it is:

Why do you think that having an arrogant, ingratiating personality is
considered appropriate, even likeable in some characters, yet distasteful in
others?
For example, people seem to like the fact that Quicksilver and Namor have a
snotty attitude. I remember reading a review of an issue of Quicksilver's
short-lived title, in which the reviewer lamented that Pietro was acting too
nice and polite. Hawkeye was extremely rude to Captain America when he (Clint)
first joined the team, yet I doubt that there was a huge hue and cry to dump
him from the team during those days (of course, I could be wrong). Wolverine
was so surly that he actually threatened to slice some of his teammates open
(Cyclops for one, and even attacked Nightcrawler once who only managed to avoid
being turned into shish-kabob by teleporting). Yet Wolverine is easily the
most popular member of the X-Men. So why is such behavior in some characters
given a pass, while condemned in others? Opinions?

Damon

DAMONO

Aug 16, 2000, 8:29:27 PM8/16/00
I wrote:

>Why do you think that having an arrogant, ingratiating personality...

Ahem...that should be an arrogant, GRATING personality...sorry bout that.
Mental note: Proofread before hitting "send" button.

Damon

RB

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
You are absolutely right. Wolverine wasn't well liked (yes I am that old!)
when he first came into the X-men.
It took about a year or two for the public to warm up to him and only when
he was shown to have depth to his character. I remember the one issue (I
think it was Uncanny #96, 1975?) When wolverine was calling Cyke a coward
for not shooting a fleeing Havok. Cyke promptly gave Wolverine a shot to the
chops. Logan popped his claws and Storm told him if he did anything he'd
have to deal with her. I didn't think much of Logan until the Sentinal
storyline and then he became on of my favorite X-man during the Hellfire
story.
Same with Hawkeye. God, he was a total A$$hole in the start in Avengers #16.
He shaped up about 2 years later. It was the same for all arrogant,
ingratiating personalities when they are part of a team dynamic.
When the Fantastic Four first started, Stan Lee wanted to make the Thing
brooding. If you get a chance read the first couple of issue if FF and
you'll find Ben Grimm to be a very bitter person (and rightly so).
I don't like Triathlon, but I'm waiting to see what is going to be done with
him. And like Cap did with Hawkeye,
Cyclops did with Wolverine, I like what Carol did with Triathlon.

Eric

DAMONO <dam...@aol.com> wrote in message