Is the Iraq War happening in Marvel?

Hand-of-Omega

Nov 16, 2005, 9:22:48 PM11/16/05
Because, if I were a citizen of Marvel America, I for one would be
rather pissed that the government is sending troops to fight and die,
when they could have sent the *giant robot army* they've apparently
been sitting on for some time!

But really, as an exercise in speculation, could the events that led up
to the current situation have occurred in Marvel? Wouldn't the UN have
sent in SHIELD to determine whether there were WMDs in Iraq? And since
SHIELD answers to the UN and not the USA (or does it? Recent stories
indicate that it does), then the absence of said weapons would have
been seen quickly, esp. with its superior Stark tech and Fury's
honesty.

But then again, Marvel Iraq may well *have* WMDs on a scale that would
make Doom shiver (pulse cannons, genetically engineered remote
controlled dinosaurs, etc)! Would SHIELD move in then? When Ultron
wiped out and took over that small European country, was it US or UN
troops that the Avengers led? I can't recall...

And if the war IS going on (have there been any references to it?),
then shouldn't Captain America at least make a few appearances there,
if only to bolster morale? What really is the difference between his
fighting on the front lines in WWII and now? He has more important
things to do now?

Dex

Fallen

Nov 17, 2005, 1:49:43 PM11/17/05
Hand-of-Omega wrote:

Various wars have happened yes, we just haven't seen them. They are
regularly mentioned in peoples backgrounds (especially these days as
characters origins get constantly upgraded through the timeline and
WWII, korea and vietnam vets start moving up through time to newer wars).

The likely explanation is that the government probably did use various
superpowered means in the war - but so did the other sides. Like an
escalated version of Cap vs Masterman (or whatever that Nazi perfect guy
was called).

Fallen.

saxon....@uts.edu.au

Nov 17, 2005, 7:23:05 PM11/17/05
Hand-of-Omega wrote:
[stuff deleted]

All good points of speculation, but unfortunately falling under the
rubric that superhero comics tend to take place in a world similar
to ours with a moderately small amount of fantasy/Sf elements,
and to follow up on the logical consequences of the elements
that have been introduced so far would rapidly cause the setting
to change into something that the readers wouldn't recognise.
And more pragmatically, the history of both Marvel and DC
suggests that keeping continuity straight on anything but their
first string chacarters (sometimes even including their first string
characters) is occasionally hit-and-miss.

Certainly the public relations highlighting of the use of US
technological superiority in the real life wars in the Middle-east
suggests that the Marvel US government should be jumping
eagerly into using various supersuit (Guardsmen, possibly
Mandroid) armours, and possibly Sentients as well. Heck,
they tried to using Sentinels against Kang's most recent
invasion in _Avengers_ - and it's hardly likely that Bin Laden
and/or Saddam will have control overrides the way Kang did.
Second time lucky?

And as for actual references to the use of supertech... I do
recall that in _Thunderbolts_ #75 Techno confiscated some
Pym Particles from Iraqi weapons bunkers. It seems that in
the Marvel universe the arms inspectors couldn't find Saddam's
WMDs because he'd shrunk them into invisibility.

---
Saxon Brenton Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
The _Girl Genius_ comic of Phil & Kaja Foglio is now online at:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com

M.O.R

Nov 17, 2005, 9:12:59 PM11/17/05
But if Iraq did have super high tech WMD's, wouldn't those be Super
high tech air, since Iraq never had WMD's in the first place? Plus I
doubt there would be a war, since they have so many heroes who could
have investigated the place on recon missions, such as Quicksilver, or
have Black Panther use his political connections to find out what is
happening in Iraq? And also, would Dr Doom see this as an attack on a
small nation, like Latveria, in a sense, and vow to support Saddam, if
he indeed did have weapons, which he still would not have had,
considering how comics would have to bare similarity to real life
events, which they usually do, wouldn't the avengers be conflicted to
defend Saddam Hussein, cosidering that while yes he is guilty of many
attrocities, he is innocent of the crime of having WMD? And wouldn't
Osama Bin Laden be seen as the bigger danger, say, if in comic's
idealogy, he had a super powered band of villains intent on destroying
the Western world?

prestorjon

Nov 17, 2005, 10:37:28 PM11/17/05
<<But really, as an exercise in speculation, could the events that led
up
to the current situation have occurred in Marvel? Wouldn't the UN have
sent in SHIELD to determine whether there were WMDs in Iraq? And since
SHIELD answers to the UN and not the USA (or does it? Recent stories
indicate that it does), then the absence of said weapons would have
been seen quickly, esp. with its superior Stark tech and Fury's
honesty.>>

Hans Blix and Co were already there and were indicating that there were
no WMD. What makes you think Fury and SHIELD would be any more
effective without igniting the shooting war everyone outside of the
Bush administration wanted to avoid?

<<And if the war IS going on (have there been any references to it?),
then shouldn't Captain America at least make a few appearances there,
if only to bolster morale? What really is the difference between his
fighting on the front lines in WWII and now? He has more important
things to do now?>>

He could very well be making publicity appearances. As to fighting...
The differences between Iraq and WWII are vast, and that's without
factoring in any moral/political considerations.

prestorjon

Nov 17, 2005, 10:40:56 PM11/17/05
<<Heck,
they tried to using Sentinels against Kang's most recent
invasion in _Avengers_ - and it's hardly likely that Bin Laden
and/or Saddam will have control overrides the way Kang did.
Second time lucky?>>

Which brings the interesting question. Would 9/11 have happened the
same way in Marvel-verse? We had this speculation elsewhere about the
Wild Cards world which has an even greater concentration of metahumans
in NYC, but in the Marvel U it's arguable that very few people would
have died who weren't killed in the immediate impact of the first
plane. Certainly there's no shortage of flying people or teleporters
around NY to rescue folks and no shortage of people who could stop or
divert the second plane.

Rage

Nov 18, 2005, 3:16:21 AM11/18/05

"M.O.R" <pred...@esatclear.ie> wrote in message

> But if Iraq did have super high tech WMD's, wouldn't those be Super
> high tech air, since Iraq never had WMD's in the first place?

maybe the stuff that reagan gave him in the 80s MU was higher tech. they
had older
armor back then, right? maybe all those saddam doubles were clones or lmd's
. . .

> Plus I
> doubt there would be a war, since they have so many heroes who could
> have investigated the place on recon missions, such as Quicksilver, or
> have Black Panther use his political connections to find out what is
> happening in Iraq?

is wakanda an ally of the u.s.? if so, i would say he'd thumb his nose to
them also.

> And also, would Dr Doom see this as an attack on a
> small nation, like Latveria, in a sense, and vow to support Saddam, if
> he indeed did have weapons, which he still would not have had,

doom has bigger designs than saddam.

> considering how comics would have to bare similarity to real life
> events, which they usually do, wouldn't the avengers be conflicted to
> defend Saddam Hussein, cosidering that while yes he is guilty of many
> attrocities, he is innocent of the crime of having WMD?

well, the avengers (pre-bendis) answered to the u.n., and saddam was in
violation of u.s. sanctions.
it seems the u.n. isn't as useless in the MU as in real life, so i don't see
cap, iron man, and thor
rushing to saddam's aid.

> And wouldn't
> Osama Bin Laden be seen as the bigger danger, say, if in comic's
> idealogy, he had a super powered band of villains intent on destroying
> the Western world?

he would have been nailed long ago in the MU if he were in charge of the
muslim fundamentalist
version of the masters of evil.

- RAGE

Martin Feller

Nov 18, 2005, 1:48:36 AM11/18/05

"M.O.R" <pred...@esatclear.ie> wrote in message

Equally as possible, Quicksilver would have been able to intercept the
WMD materials before they were destroyed, buried or shipped over the
borders.

Dr. Doom would be against the US invasion, since he had been buying up
black market oil on the cheap (essentially funding Saddam's crimes).
Perhaps in the Marvel Universe, France, Germany and Russia would've
sided with him, for similar reasons.

Wayne Garmil

Nov 18, 2005, 5:03:56 PM11/18/05
On 17 Nov 2005 19:40:56 -0800, "prestorjon" <prest...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Which brings the interesting question. Would 9/11 have happened the
>same way in Marvel-verse?

I think JMS showed in Spider-Man #36 that it can and did happen in the
Marvel U as well. The Avengers and X-Men were occupied at that time
outside of NYC, and Spider-Man arrived too late to really do anything
(not that he could have done more than some spot saves). I know that
I did not hear about the plane crashes until just after the buildings
fell, and I live near Boston where the hijackings occurred. Remember,
from first crash to second crash was 3 minutes, and the buildings fell
less than 10 minutes later. Not really much time to respond there,
even for super-heroes, less than 15 minutes start to finish.

It is unfortunate that even the heroes can't be everywhere all of the
time. Sometimes the bad guys do win.

Wayne

--
Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

janklo...@yahoo.com

Nov 21, 2005, 2:25:24 AM11/21/05

A lot of discussion, but basically it boils down to one thing: Why
doesn't the advanced technology of the MU trickle down to the rest of
the ordinary world? Think about it: You've got staggering
technological advances in robotics, physics, genetics, chemistry, light
speed, inter-dimensional travel and even time travel by heroes and
villans alike: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Henry Pym, T'Challa,
Tony Stark, AIM, High Evolutionary, etc etc.

And yet, none of this affects the day to day for most people in the MU.

Theoretically, the changes wrought in the MU should have changed the
world forever in the 60s or 70s leading to a virtual elimination of
war, disease and poverty. There most certainly would have been some
type of facedown with the Soviet Union, although you also have to
include Wakanda and Latveria into the mix, also making allowances for
SHIELD and all the devices they had unquestionably appropriated from
HYDRA over the years.

Inventions such as exoskeletons, Pym particles and repulsor rays could
be used by police and military to fight bloodless wars. Genetic
engineering could be used to grow crops and eliminate hunger in India
and sub-saharan Africa. Advanced medical science could repair lost
limbs, eyes, etc. Garbage and other human waste could be ejected to
other outer space or even other dimensions. Machinery could be invented
that could create more available drinking water.
Heck, at the very least we could have freaking hovercars!

Cloning humans is apparently easy as pie - I know, don't lets start
with THAT - which should have invariably opened up several moral
questions. It's also pretty easy to make all sorts of weaponry to go
to the highest bidder (see: Tinkerer) , yet the best we can do with an
invention like the Spider Slayer is have it rigged so that an aging
newspaper publisher can harass Spider Man.

We've had visitations by alien races, gods, and magical beings but it
doesn't seem to register with the mainstream populace. (Of course,
its never been made quite clear how much the politicians let slip
through to the general public.)

Should there be an MU that more clearly reflects the technology
available to the heroes and villans. DC did bring Metropolis into the
22nd century with that whole
B13-tech jazz. Maybe its time for Marvel to do the same.

The Black Guardian

Nov 21, 2005, 3:12:05 AM11/21/05
janklo...@yahoo.com wrote:
> A lot of discussion, but basically it boils down to one thing: Why
> doesn't the advanced technology of the MU trickle down to the rest of
> the ordinary world? Think about it: You've got staggering
> technological advances in robotics, physics, genetics, chemistry, light
> speed, inter-dimensional travel and even time travel by heroes and
> villans alike: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Henry Pym, T'Challa,
> Tony Stark, AIM, High Evolutionary, etc etc.
>
> And yet, none of this affects the day to day for most people in the MU.

Indeed, which is why I think SECRET WAR had it arse backwards. There
isn't a conspiracy spreading all of this technology around; there's a
conspiracy restricting it. It's just that a few pieces here and there
have made it into the hands of criminals. The Earth in the Marvel
Universe has teratons of alien equipment that's been lying around for
aeons. Either this Earth has some piss-poor archaeologists, or
someone's been hording this stuff. And I'm not even going to get into
all of the magic artifacts...

Jeremy Henderson

Nov 21, 2005, 7:01:12 AM11/21/05
On 21 Nov 2005 00:12:05 -0800, "The Black Guardian" <blak...@aol.com>
wrote:

You've pretty much just described the concept of Warren Ellis'
Planetary.

Marc-Oliver Frisch

Nov 21, 2005, 12:56:15 PM11/21/05
janklo...@yahoo.com wrote:

: Should there be an MU that more clearly reflects the technology

: available to the heroes and villans.

Steve Englehart and Mike McKone did a limited series with that premise several
years ago, called BIG TOWN.

Unfortunately, the whole thing lost its focus awfully quick and somehow imploded
in a rather dull and interchangeable fight with Ultron and a bunch of stock soap
opera plots.

--
Marc-Oliver Frisch
POPP'D! >> http://poppd.blogspot.com

"Time to get kids back where they belong - up chimneys, down mines, and tied to
the printing presses!"
-- Grant Morrison

--
[This is a Usenet message, posted to the rec.arts.comics.* groups.]

Hand-of-Omega

Nov 21, 2005, 1:11:23 PM11/21/05

janklo...@yahoo.com wrote:
> A lot of discussion, but basically it boils down to one thing: Why
> doesn't the advanced technology of the MU trickle down to the rest of
> the ordinary world? Think about it: You've got staggering
> technological advances in robotics, physics, genetics, chemistry, light
> speed, inter-dimensional travel and even time travel by heroes and
> villans alike: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Henry Pym, T'Challa,
> Tony Stark, AIM, High Evolutionary, etc etc.
>
> And yet, none of this affects the day to day for most people in the MU.

There was a bit in Waid's FF run about Microsoft paying Reed millions
to hold back at least some of his inventions from the public. It was
meant to be clever, but really made Reed look like an asshole, IMO.
Isn't he supposed to be a scientist working to better the state of
mankind, and not line his own pockets?!

> Inventions such as exoskeletons, Pym particles and repulsor rays could
> be used by police and military to fight bloodless wars. Genetic

> Should there be an MU that more clearly reflects the technology

> available to the heroes and villans. DC did bring Metropolis into the
> 22nd century with that whole
> B13-tech jazz. Maybe its time for Marvel to do the same.

As someone said, then we'd basically have a fully SF story setting that
no one could relate to (DC, with its imaginary cities, has always been
out there, but a large part of Marvel's appeal was always that it was
the world outside our window). Also, it runs the risk of falling flat
on its face with the superfast pace that real world tech change is
coming; comics didn't predict the Internet, what else would they miss?

You do bring up some interesting points, but instead of changing the
MU, why not look at the factors that *resist* change? Not just the
companies and governments, but the PEOPLE as well. Maybe clinging to a
recognizable level of tech is the only thing that helps the average man
feel safe and secure in a world where Star Gods build World-Eating
machines on NY skyscrapers (how'd the govt cover THAT up, I'd like to
know...). Maybe Reed and Tony tried to market their hypertech, but no
one was buying, because they would have changed too much too quickly
("You'll never have to use a toilet again!" "Uh, no thanks..").

Of course, such a book is unfortunately unsellable, but it'd be
interesting, to me, anyway...

Dex

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 21, 2005, 2:08:03 PM11/21/05
<janklo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> A lot of discussion, but basically it boils down to one thing: Why
> doesn't the advanced technology of the MU trickle down to the rest of
> the ordinary world? Think about it: You've got staggering
> technological advances in robotics, physics, genetics, chemistry, light
> speed, inter-dimensional travel and even time travel by heroes and
> villans alike: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Henry Pym, T'Challa,
> Tony Stark, AIM, High Evolutionary, etc etc.
>
> And yet, none of this affects the day to day for most people in the MU.
>
> Theoretically, the changes wrought in the MU should have changed the
> world forever in the 60s or 70s leading to a virtual elimination of
> war, disease and poverty.

Simple answer : Same reason the Avengers let Dr Doom keep his toys until the
next time he uses them to inflict pain and destruction on humanity...

...SUPERHEROES ARE SELF-SERVING DICKS.

Think about it. They run after supervillains, then lock them up in cells
they KNOW can't contain them, without ever sharing any of their
supertechnology with the human populace. When someone bugs Reed Richards
enough, he banishes them to the negative zone. But if it's common people
that the supervillains are bothering, he places them in paper prisons and
basks in the media attention that comes with yet another heroic capture...
until the next time.

Superheroes keep supervillains in business for a reason... it justifies
their continued existence. Without supervillains, there would be no need for
superheroes. This was even MORE true in the days when the Avengers got a
paycheck. What's Hawkeye going to do if there's no one to help him pay his
rent? Work at Wendy's?

I'm surprised there hasn't been a major crossover arc exploring the public's
questioning of superheroes' place in the world. I know it's been done with
specific heroes, wondering if Spiderman was in cahoots with Scorpion to make
himself look good or something... but it's a great story to tell if you
expand it planet-wide.

Why isn't anyone wondering why Reed and Johnny aren't making every material
on earth flame-proof? Why Tony Stark isn't equipping all construction
workers with suits that are light and flexible as satin but can withstand
tank missiles?

Because in the wrong hands, they would wreak havoc? So he's going to keep
the technology for himself? How does the average human NOT take that
personally? Who gets to draw the line of what the average human is or isn't
entitled to know or have? The heroes themselves.

They've been playing God since Day 1, and what's going on with Batman in the
DCU with regards to the JLA needs to happen on a company-wide scale at
Marvel.

Sure beats recycling Heroes Reborn, the Clone Saga, the Mutant Massacres and
the New Universe (all things Marvel is currently doing).

Jon
--
"How the fuck do you kill Wolverine? He's fallen from
the clouds and survived. He's taken his own claws

Dash Riprock

Nov 21, 2005, 2:37:14 PM11/21/05
I always thought that it was ridiculous for Iron Man to prance around
in his practically indestructible suit of armor whilst everyone else
made do with spandex. Granted, spandex is good for "freedom of
movement," as they used to say, but is pee-poor for helping you take
the brunt of Dr. Braunschweiger's destructo beam. I always thought that
at least some light, flexible armor that looked like their regular
costumes would be a decent gesture from a guy who supposedly cares for
his team mates. But NOOOOOOooooo ....

Brian Doyle

Nov 21, 2005, 3:06:44 PM11/21/05

"Dash Riprock" <edm...@michaelfraley.com> wrote in message

It probably costs the GDP of the better part of the Western Hemisphere to
pay for a square foot of that stuff.

David Johnston

Nov 21, 2005, 3:10:06 PM11/21/05
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:08:03 -0500, "Jon J. Yeager"
<nos...@thanks.com> wrote:

>Simple answer : Same reason the Avengers let Dr Doom keep his toys until the
>next time he uses them to inflict pain and destruction on humanity...

Doctor Doom doesn't inflict pain and destruction on humanity. He
inflicts pain and destruction on Reed Richards.

wbe

Nov 21, 2005, 4:57:47 PM11/21/05
janklo...@yahoo.com writes:
> Why doesn't the advanced technology of the MU trickle down to the rest of
> the ordinary world?

Some of it does. It has often been stated in FF that they get a lot of
their income from Reed's patent portfolio. Indeed, when MK-4 started and
the FF were bankrupt, it was stated that Reed had had to sell his patents.
(All IIRC, of course.)

The main reason, though, is likely cost. Just because a technology
exists doesn't mean it's cheap or affordable. Governments, Doom, and large
corporations may be the only ones willing to afford the cost of time
machines, exoskeletons, and exotic, non-mass-produced technological
wonders. A lightweight, bullet-proof vest that costs $20/soldier might be
considered, but at $1,000,000 per soldier, other solutions would be looked
at first.

A big reason that digital has gained ground over analog in so many areas
is not simply that it exists, but that its cost/performance ratio keeps
falling year after year, and has fallen faster than that of analog
solutions.
-WBE

Nick Eden

Nov 21, 2005, 5:55:45 PM11/21/05

However, if logic and superheroes are at all compatible: The FF
plainly have vast sums of money to play about with. The only obvious
source of money they have is selling stuff. Therefore they must be
selling a lot of stuff.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 21, 2005, 6:07:27 PM11/21/05
"Nick Eden" <mar...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> However, if logic and superheroes are at all compatible: The FF
> plainly have vast sums of money to play about with. The only obvious
> source of money they have is selling stuff. Therefore they must be
> selling a lot of stuff.

Do people equipped with a time machine really need to justify where they got
their wealth?

Just go see who won tomorrow's game and bet the farm on them!

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 6:32:00 PM11/21/05

janklo...@yahoo.com wrote:
> A lot of discussion, but basically it boils down to one thing: Why
> doesn't the advanced technology of the MU trickle down to the rest of
> the ordinary world? Think about it: You've got staggering
> technological advances in robotics, physics, genetics, chemistry, light
> speed, inter-dimensional travel and even time travel by heroes and
> villans alike: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Henry Pym, T'Challa,
> Tony Stark, AIM, High Evolutionary, etc etc.

The answer to this question is very easy. In real life the inventor of
the television had the TV patented in the forties, but it wasn't
available on the domestic market for about eight to ten years. That's
what's happening with all this sc-fi stuff in comic books. It'll be
available for the domestic market eventually.

> And yet, none of this affects the day to day for most people in the MU.
>
> Theoretically, the changes wrought in the MU should have changed the
> world forever in the 60s or 70s leading to a virtual elimination of
> war, disease and poverty. There most certainly would have been some
> type of facedown with the Soviet Union, although you also have to
> include Wakanda and Latveria into the mix, also making allowances for
> SHIELD and all the devices they had unquestionably appropriated from
> HYDRA over the years.

In the case of the super soldier serum, its inventor was murdered after
its first successful experiment. Granted that Grand Director guy from
the fifties managed to recreate the serum when he impersonated Cap, but
without that raygun thing it didn't workout so well.

> Inventions such as exoskeletons, Pym particles and repulsor rays could
> be used by police and military to fight bloodless wars. Genetic
> engineering could be used to grow crops and eliminate hunger in India
> and sub-saharan Africa. Advanced medical science could repair lost
> limbs, eyes, etc. Garbage and other human waste could be ejected to
> other outer space or even other dimensions. Machinery could be invented
> that could create more available drinking water.
> Heck, at the very least we could have freaking hovercars!

You gotta remember, some of the stuff you listed can be used as
weapons. The government has to consider that.

> Cloning humans is apparently easy as pie - I know, don't lets start
> with THAT - which should have invariably opened up several moral
> questions. It's also pretty easy to make all sorts of weaponry to go
> to the highest bidder (see: Tinkerer) , yet the best we can do with an
> invention like the Spider Slayer is have it rigged so that an aging
> newspaper publisher can harass Spider Man.

Like I said, WEAPONS.

> We've had visitations by alien races, gods, and magical beings but it
> doesn't seem to register with the mainstream populace. (Of course,
> its never been made quite clear how much the politicians let slip
> through to the general public.)

Ofcourse it does. If you read anything, you'll know that average
citizens discuss what superheroes do all the time. Especially when it
comes to major crossovers.

> Should there be an MU that more clearly reflects the technology

> available to the heroes and villans?

I understand what you're saying and have been wondering the samething
for several years now. With all the superguys in existence why would
they all be obligated to put on some skintight costume made out of
spandex or leather and fight crime? Why can't they use their powers to
help with archealogical digs or pick up litter or something? Or do like
Spider-Man and the Hulk did when they first got superpowers and go into
the entertainment business? And what is the point of secret identities
anymore? There are way to many superguys around to have to keep it a
secret anymore.

Why don't they have comics about average people living average lives
who have superpowers? I'll tell you why, because it doesn't sell.
Everyone wants to see guys in brightly colored skintight costumes
(which may or may not be disturbing I don't know).

> DC did bring Metropolis into the 22nd century with that whole B13-tech jazz. Maybe its time for Marvel to do the same.

Yeah, but it went back to being the way it should be in the present day
when Superman crossedover with Wildstorm's Majestic. John Henry Irons
said it was like history correcting itself or something.

Dash Riprock

Nov 21, 2005, 6:37:39 PM11/21/05

And when his team mates ask Iron Man *why* he gets the pricey stuff
while they make do with Flashdance castoffs, there is a metallic hum,
and then a heavily filtered voice says, "Why? Because I'm worth it!"

(The above is a reference to what I think used to be a shampoo
commercial. Trivia buffs fill in the gaps for me ...)

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Nov 21, 2005, 6:41:15 PM11/21/05
Also Sprach :

> janklo...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> A lot of discussion, but basically it boils down to one
>> thing: Why doesn't the advanced technology of the MU
>> trickle down to the rest of the ordinary world? Think
>> about it: You've got staggering technological advances in
>> robotics, physics, genetics, chemistry, light speed,
>> inter-dimensional travel and even time travel by heroes
>> and villans alike: Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Henry
>> Pym, T'Challa, Tony Stark, AIM, High Evolutionary, etc
>> etc.
>
> The answer to this question is very easy. In real life the
> inventor of the television had the TV patented in the
> forties, but it wasn't available on the domestic market for
> about eight to ten years. That's what's happening with all
> this sc-fi stuff in comic books. It'll be available for the
> domestic market eventually.

You're twenty years out, but the point stands 8-).

--
Dave
Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 6:41:50 PM11/21/05

I wonder if the John Birch Society is aware of this conspiracy.

> I'm surprised there hasn't been a major crossover arc exploring the public's
> questioning of superheroes' place in the world. I know it's been done with
> specific heroes, wondering if Spiderman was in cahoots with Scorpion to make
> himself look good or something... but it's a great story to tell if you
> expand it planet-wide.

Well since this thread is being cross-posted on the DC ng as well as
the Marvel one, I am compelled to bring up that little know crossover
entitled Legends.

> Why isn't anyone wondering why Reed and Johnny aren't making every material
> on earth flame-proof? Why Tony Stark isn't equipping all construction
> workers with suits that are light and flexible as satin but can withstand
> tank missiles?

You know how many times Stark has patented his stuff for the domestic
market? Even after he quit making weapons (although I'm kinda puzzled
as to what idiot would consider all those Iron Man suits weapons)

> Because in the wrong hands, they would wreak havoc? So he's going to keep
> the technology for himself? How does the average human NOT take that
> personally? Who gets to draw the line of what the average human is or isn't
> entitled to know or have? The heroes themselves.

There have been numerous times where both publishers have had their
heroes fighting petty criminals with laser rifles and stuff in the
past.

> They've been playing God since Day 1, and what's going on with Batman in the
> DCU with regards to the JLA needs to happen on a company-wide scale at
> Marvel.

And what makes Batman so freaking special that he's qualified to police
the superhero community all by himself? That fact that he has no
powers? Please!

> Sure beats recycling Heroes Reborn, the Clone Saga, the Mutant Massacres and
> the New Universe (all things Marvel is currently doing).

What do you mean by recycling?

> Jon
> --
> "How the fuck do you kill Wolverine? He's fallen from
> the clouds and survived. He's taken his own claws
> clean through his throat from one end to the other,
> and just needed a minute to catch his breath.
> You could slice Wolverine in 100 pieces, place
> each piece in a jar, and store each jar in 100
> different remote locations worldwide -- including
> one on the moon -- and they will find a way to
> rejoin and heal themselves within an hour."

Try poisoning him and see what happens.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 6:48:29 PM11/21/05

Cap wears chain mail. I think it's made of adamantium.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 21, 2005, 7:01:03 PM11/21/05
<rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

> Cap wears chain mail. I think it's made of adamantium.

Only his chest. The rest is spandex.

The hell with safety, he's got to appeal to the unspoken homoerotic subtext
of superhero comics (the same that applies to pro wrestling) or he'll lose
readers.

The Black Guardian

Nov 21, 2005, 7:04:22 PM11/21/05
Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> [snip blahblahblah]

> Because in the wrong hands, they would wreak havoc? So he's going to keep
> the technology for himself? How does the average human NOT take that
> personally? Who gets to draw the line of what the average human is or isn't
> entitled to know or have? The heroes themselves.

Do you do take it personally that you can't own bullet-proof vests?
Sherman tanks? Nuclear missiles?

Brian Doyle

Nov 21, 2005, 7:19:49 PM11/21/05

"David Johnston" <rgo...@block.net> wrote in message

Good example, Doom uses HIS toys to make the world a better place for the
people of Latveria, who have, IIRC, a high standard of living, the best
medical care and the like, as long as they stay loyal to Doom. He's a
ruthless dictator, but from a certain angle, he's a benevolent dictator.

Brian Doyle

Nov 21, 2005, 7:19:50 PM11/21/05

"Jon J. Yeager" <nos...@thanks.com> wrote in message

> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Cap wears chain mail. I think it's made of adamantium.
>
> Only his chest. The rest is spandex.

When was it stated that it's adamantium? I thought it was the standard
fictitious "Kevlar/nomex" variation

wbe

Nov 21, 2005, 7:22:11 PM11/21/05
Nick Eden <mar...@nospam.demon.co.uk> replied:

> However, if logic and superheroes are at all compatible: The FF
> plainly have vast sums of money to play about with. The only obvious
> source of money they have is selling stuff. Therefore they must be
> selling a lot of stuff.

Not necessarily. They could be charging exhorbitant license fees for a
small amount of stuff. If you *really* need a Negative Zone portal, and
there's only one person who has the technology to make one ... :)
-WBE

Fallen

Nov 21, 2005, 7:26:22 PM11/21/05
rc02...@reinhardt.edu wrote:

No, Cap's chainmail (which is more like a scale mail t-shirt really)
regularly gets destroyed.I don't recall it ever being mentioned what it
is currently made of but I'm guessing he just likes to keep the same
look and it's not even metal.

Fallen.

Dr Hermes

Nov 21, 2005, 7:20:51 PM11/21/05

Group: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe Date: Tue, Nov 22, 2005, 1:01am
(EST+6) From: nos...@thanks.com (Jon J. Yeager)

> he's got to appeal to the unspoken homoerotic subtext of superhero
comics

A more likely explanation than latent homoerotic subtext is plain and
simple narcissism. The male reader identifies with the immense
well-defined muscles clearly revealed as being a wish fulfilment image
of his own body. (Both hero and villain.) It's a reason why characters
who would not reasonably be body-builders (like say Dr Strange or Reed
Richards) are usually shown as if they spent all their waking hours at
Gold's Gym.

And of course, it's not just a male phenomenon. Women have thousands of
magazines, TV shows and movies featuring glamour girls with ridiculously
expensive clothing, hairdos and living spaces to fill their audience's
specific fantasies. I doubt if there's a hidden lesbian context there
either.

http://community.webtv.net/drhermes/DRHERMESREVIEWSHome/

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 7:46:41 PM11/21/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Cap wears chain mail. I think it's made of adamantium.
>
> Only his chest. The rest is spandex.
>
> The hell with safety, he's got to appeal to the unspoken homoerotic subtext
> of superhero comics (the same that applies to pro wrestling) or he'll lose
> readers.

Which is why I wish pulp magazines were still around. You'd never see
the Shadow, the Spider or the Green Hornet dressed like some gay clown.

David Johnston

Nov 21, 2005, 8:01:29 PM11/21/05
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:55:45 +0000, Nick Eden
<mar...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>However, if logic and superheroes are at all compatible: The FF
>plainly have vast sums of money to play about with. The only obvious
>source of money they have is selling stuff. Therefore they must be
>selling a lot of stuff.

Or they must be selling stuff for very high prices, which is more
likely for a lot of the kind of thing that Reed seems to like to
invent. Stuff like all those high energy particle physics rigs that
keep blowing up and giving people powers or ripping the fabric of
space-time. Then again of course much of Reed's inventing output just
may not be all that perceptible to the reader. For example he did
once invent one hell of an artificial Christmas tree, but how many
times have we seen Marvel characters at home with their
super-high-tech Christmas trees?

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 8:02:19 PM11/21/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Cap wears chain mail. I think it's made of adamantium.
>
> Only his chest. The rest is spandex.

Not to change the subject or anything, but does his chain mail jingle
when he walks or runs? Because if he tries to sneak up on an enemy from
behind, that chain mail's going to be like a freaking cow bell.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 8:05:09 PM11/21/05

I do.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 8:07:40 PM11/21/05

FINALLY!! Somebody in this world knows this besides me. I am no longer
alone in the universe.

> http://community.webtv.net/drhermes/DRHERMESREVIEWSHome/

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 21, 2005, 8:08:09 PM11/21/05

FINALLY!! Somebody in this world knows this besides me. I am no longer

Dan McEwen

Nov 21, 2005, 8:35:34 PM11/21/05
janklo...@yahoo.com wrote in

> Should there be an MU that more clearly reflects the technology

> available to the heroes and villans. DC did bring Metropolis into the

> 22nd century with that whole
> B13-tech jazz. Maybe its time for Marvel to do the same.

In theory, yes, the MU should catch up with all the super-tech bandied
about by the heroes and villains. It's really reprehensible what just
Reed Richards refuses to do to better humanity.

Out-of-story reason is that it takes the reader too far from reality.
There needs to be some sort of grounding or else we're reading books set
in a futuristic setting.

Dr Hermes

Nov 21, 2005, 8:29:59 PM11/21/05

Group: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe Date: Mon, Nov 21, 2005, 5:08pm
(EST-3) From: rc02...@reinhardt.edu :

>FINALLY!! Somebody in this world knows this besides me.

.. Actually, I was enlightened on this when I was reviewing the Tarzan
books and I wonder why Edgar Rice Burroughs (as dead butch straight as
you can get) spent so much time lovingly describing how gorgeous Tarzan
was. It wasn't any sort of sublimated sexual interest, he saw Tarzan as
an idealized form of himself and was basically feeding his ego. (Yes! I
am a God!)

Same thing with Leslie Charteris going on about how amazingly handsome
the Saint was -- Simon Templar was a projection of himself and Charteris
had a healthy self-image. Also, James Bond was basically described as
how Ian Fleming saw himself at thirty-five. It's common enough in pulp
fiction, and the art in comics only makes it more obvious.

I always thought the "homoerotic" undertones was kind of a forced
interpretation that neither the artists nor the audiences really
considered.

http://community.webtv.net/drhermes/DRHERMESREVIEWSHome/

Fallen

Nov 21, 2005, 8:45:06 PM11/21/05
Dr Hermes wrote:

>I always thought the "homoerotic" undertones was kind of a forced
>interpretation that neither the artists nor the audiences really
>considered.

I figured it simply as a cheap way of insulting the genre. People still
assume that 'gay' is an insult to a lot of people (they'd unfortunately
be right) and therefore can insult those people by calling something
they enjoy doing 'gay'.

Oddly while comic readers get seen as geeks the exact same cheap insult
is used to get a rise out of people who watch sports, possibly the
stereotypical opposite of geeks.

Fallen.

Dr Hermes

Nov 21, 2005, 8:42:49 PM11/21/05

Group: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe Date: Mon, Nov 21, 2005, 4:46pm
Jon J. Yeager wrote:

> You'd never see the Shadow, the Spider or the Green Hornet dressed
like some >gay clown.

Well, the Spider from the pulps DID dress up like a hunchbacker street
musician, complete with a tattered cape, top hat, long straggly hair and
fangs. I don't know what that says about him but it sure unnerved crooks
more than a bright skintight costume would have.

The Green Hornet had class. He wore a nice tailored suit, a small face
mask and he rode in a comfortable limo driven by a chaffeur who handled
the fighting. The Hornet was no fool.

http://community.webtv.net/drhermes/DRHERMESREVIEWSHome/

David Johnston

Nov 21, 2005, 10:10:41 PM11/21/05
On 21 Nov 2005 17:02:19 -0800, rc02...@reinhardt.edu wrote:

>Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Cap wears chain mail. I think it's made of adamantium.
>>
>> Only his chest. The rest is spandex.
>
>Not to change the subject or anything, but does his chain mail jingle
>when he walks or runs?

No. The chain is stretched tight.

prestorjon

Nov 21, 2005, 11:11:51 PM11/21/05
<<Oddly while comic readers get seen as geeks the exact same cheap
insult
is used to get a rise out of people who watch sports, possibly the
stereotypical opposite of geeks. >>

You can't tell me there's nothing homoerotic about pro-sports.

Fallen

Nov 21, 2005, 11:10:48 PM11/21/05
David Johnston wrote:

Can't we just assume it's not actual chain mail instead? (Ignoring that
it usually gets drawn as scale mail)

Fallen.

prestorjon

Nov 22, 2005, 12:02:09 AM11/22/05
<<I know that
I did not hear about the plane crashes until just after the buildings
fell, and I live near Boston where the hijackings occurred. Remember,
from first crash to second crash was 3 minutes, and the buildings fell
less than 10 minutes later. Not really much time to respond there,
even for super-heroes, less than 15 minutes start to finish. >>

Well hopefully people who live and operate out of NYC and whose job it
is in emergency services would be a bit more aware.

Your timeline is incredibly off. The North Tower was struck at 8:46.
THe South Tower was struck at 9:03. The South Tower collapsed at 9:59
and the North Tower at 10:28. So there were 17 minutes between attacks
and over an hour from the first attack to the collapse of the first
building (which were different buildings). I could buy that
superheroes wouldn;t be able to respond in the short time between
attacks. However, given that numerous people all around the New York
area heard about the first attack and were able to go out and watch
what was happening also makes me beleive that there would have been
time to possibly prevent the second attack, (there's a video taken
IIRC from Jersey which shows the second plane hitting, and which was
taken by a civilian who heard about the attack and went out on the roof
of their building to watch). Given that almost two hours passed from
when the North tower was hit till when it collapsed it seems a bit
absurd that the combined power of New Yorks heroes could not have
rescued almost everyone from that tower.

Ken Arromdee

Nov 22, 2005, 2:39:45 AM11/22/05
The floating Marvel timeline explains a lot of it. The inventions do get out,
but it may take 20 years for things to become common and in the floating
timeline, we never get to 20 years.
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk
on water." --Samantha Carter, Stargate SG-1

David Johnston

Nov 22, 2005, 3:16:43 AM11/22/05
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:39:45 +0000 (UTC), arro...@green.rahul.net
(Ken Arromdee) wrote:

>The floating Marvel timeline explains a lot of it. The inventions do get out,
>but it may take 20 years for things to become common and in the floating
>timeline, we never get to 20 years.

Yes, fusion power and flying cars are always 20 years away...

Martin Feller

Nov 22, 2005, 4:20:22 AM11/22/05

"David Johnston" <rgo...@block.net> wrote in message

What? Is it some kind of ninja suit?

Dash Riprock

Nov 22, 2005, 7:11:46 AM11/22/05
Thinking about how this relates to my very off-topic Avengers
sub-thread ...

If my best buddies and I were going out to wreak havoc on the bad guys,
and one of them said, "Gee, I'm going to go put on my big honking
battle suit so I don't get hurt," and I was stuck standing there,
basically in my jammies, I would start wondering. So no, I don't
expect to have a Sherman tank or a nuke, but some bullet/shock
resistant duds would be most welcome. Especially if said battle suit
guy had a whole room full of these things he kept for himself. No man,
I don't want your full meal deal, but some light armor ... well, that's
another story.

Mike Swaim

Nov 22, 2005, 10:42:09 AM11/22/05
rc02...@reinhardt.edu wrote:

> Not to change the subject or anything, but does his chain mail jingle
> when he walks or runs? Because if he tries to sneak up on an enemy
> from behind, that chain mail's going to be like a freaking cow bell.

It could be padded, or nonmetallic, or covered with a thin coating of
rubber to keep it from jingling.

--
Mike Swaim sw...@hal-pc.org at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 10:57:34 AM11/22/05

Sex appeal has always been part of comics and pulps, but I don't think
it became mainstream until the sixties when the free love movement
started. Today, everything has to be associate with sex and considered
erotic in some way shape or form. Dr. Werthem would have a heart attack
if he was still alive today.

> http://community.webtv.net/drhermes/DRHERMESREVIEWSHome/

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 11:01:17 AM11/22/05

Fallen wrote:
> Dr Hermes wrote:
>
> >I always thought the "homoerotic" undertones was kind of a forced
> >interpretation that neither the artists nor the audiences really
> >considered.
> >

> I figured it simply as a cheap way of insulting the genre. People still
> assume that 'gay' is an insult to a lot of people (they'd unfortunately
> be right) and therefore can insult those people by calling something
> they enjoy doing 'gay'.

Yeah, I would be one of those people.

> Oddly while comic readers get seen as geeks the exact same cheap insult
> is used to get a rise out of people who watch sports, possibly the
> stereotypical opposite of geeks.

Comics aren't as geeky as they used to be. They're more action oriented
now. They're actually like watching an action movie, which is
considered anything but geeky.

> Fallen.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 11:11:46 AM11/22/05

Dr Hermes wrote:
> Group: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe Date: Mon, Nov 21, 2005, 4:46pm
> (EST-3) From: rc02...@reinhardt.edu
> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>
> > You'd never see the Shadow, the Spider or the Green Hornet dressed
> like some >gay clown.
>

> Well, the Spider from the pulps DID dress up like a hunchbacker street
> musician, complete with a tattered cape, top hat, long straggly hair and
> fangs.

Street musicians have fangs????

> I don't know what that says about him but it sure unnerved crooks
> more than a bright skintight costume would have.
>
> The Green Hornet had class. He wore a nice tailored suit, a small face
> mask and he rode in a comfortable limo driven by a chaffeur who handled
> the fighting. The Hornet was no fool.

Nah. He was just lazy. If I were him, I'd atleast particiapate in the
fighting. If for no other reason than to make sure no one got the drop
on me while Kato was distracted by his own fight. Now how one would be
able to fight while wearing a three piece suit is a question indeed.

> http://community.webtv.net/drhermes/DRHERMESREVIEWSHome/

Fallen

Nov 22, 2005, 11:51:20 AM11/22/05
Dash Riprock wrote:

Most of those 'jammies' really are heat/shock resistant etc. even the
second wave of X-Mens duds were made using Reeds unstable molecules and
that was 30 years ago. Lots of the superheroes who don't wear obvious
armour rely heavily on manoeuvrability and add in that Iron Mans armour
costs millions or even billions and has been honed over the years to
specifically be attuned to him and I don't think there's too big a problem.

Fallen.

Fallen

Nov 22, 2005, 11:52:51 AM11/22/05
rc02...@reinhardt.edu wrote:

I've got to say that the rest of the world would probably disagree with
you :)

Fallen.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 11:58:04 AM11/22/05
"The Black Guardian" <blak...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>> [snip blahblahblah]
>> Because in the wrong hands, they would wreak havoc? So he's going to keep
>> the technology for himself? How does the average human NOT take that
>> personally? Who gets to draw the line of what the average human is or
>> isn't
>> entitled to know or have? The heroes themselves.
>
> Do you do take it personally that you can't own bullet-proof vests?

I can't? Since when?

> Sherman tanks? Nuclear missiles?

I totally resent TPB for not letting me drive to work in a tank, yes. Don't
you?

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 12:02:10 PM11/22/05

> Dr Hermes wrote:
>>
>> A more likely explanation than latent homoerotic subtext is plain and
>> simple narcissism. The male reader identifies with the immense
>> well-defined muscles clearly revealed as being a wish fulfilment image
>> of his own body. (Both hero and villain.) It's a reason why characters
>> who would not reasonably be body-builders (like say Dr Strange or Reed
>> Richards) are usually shown as if they spent all their waking hours at
>> Gold's Gym.
>>
>> And of course, it's not just a male phenomenon. Women have thousands of
>> magazines, TV shows and movies featuring glamour girls with ridiculously
>> expensive clothing, hairdos and living spaces to fill their audience's
>> specific fantasies. I doubt if there's a hidden lesbian context there
>> either.
>
> FINALLY!! Somebody in this world knows this besides me. I am no longer
> alone in the universe.

Get a room!

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 12:16:36 PM11/22/05

> Comics aren't as geeky as they used to be. They're more action oriented
> now. They're actually like watching an action movie, which is
> considered anything but geeky.

Curious... what is it about comics today that makes them like watching an
action movie, which couldn't apply to comics from years gone by?

Seems like rationalizing your geekitude to me. ;)

Accept the geekitude. Embrace it. Roll around in it.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 12:18:43 PM11/22/05

> Not to change the subject or anything, but does his chain mail jingle
> when he walks or runs? Because if he tries to sneak up on an enemy from
> behind, that chain mail's going to be like a freaking cow bell.

It's special superhero chain mail, the kind that stays silent in motion.

He won't let our troops use it, though. Cuz he's a superhero and a dick.

Agnos

Nov 22, 2005, 12:30:45 PM11/22/05

> Can't we just assume it's not actual chain mail instead? (Ignoring that
> it usually gets drawn as scale mail)
>
> Fallen.

Unfortunately, no. Back in the Byrne run, Cap survived a vampire attack from Baron Blood (?) precisely because he wore his chain mail vest (which extends up to his neck, obviously). Now, why the Baron did not notice that particular detail is beyond me. During Maguire's retelling of Cap's origin (that four issue limited series that he did not finish the art chores), Cap is clearly drawn wearing chain mail. However, I don't think it has ever been established that the chain mail is made of adamantium, as a previous poster has stated.

Of course, there is nothing to prevent Cap from having moved on from chain mail in the intervening years - I'm sure Shield/Reed Richards/Tony Stark could have come up with some extra durable chain mail-looking thing that is very resistant and quiet (I mean, we're talking about an universe with Vibranium, Adamantium, unstable molecules, etc.).

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 2:38:49 PM11/22/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Comics aren't as geeky as they used to be. They're more action oriented
> > now. They're actually like watching an action movie, which is
> > considered anything but geeky.
>
> Curious... what is it about comics today that makes them like watching an
> action movie, which couldn't apply to comics from years gone by?

Explosions, fightscenes, that car chase in the current issue of Jack
Cross. Just look at what comics have become over the past thirty years.
You think The Master of Kung Fu is geeky? You must feel the same way
about Bruce Lee movies. You think The Punisher is geeky? You must feel
the same way about Arnold Swartzenegger movies. And I don't know about
you, but sometimes the fight scenes in Batman remind me of Jackie Chan
movies. Spider-Man even more so.

> Seems like rationalizing your geekitude to me. ;)

Oh please!

> Accept the geekitude. Embrace it. Roll around in it.

with you.

> Jon
> --
> "How the fuck do you kill Wolverine? He's fallen from
> the clouds and survived. He's taken his own claws
> clean through his throat from one end to the other,
> and just needed a minute to catch his breath.
> You could slice Wolverine in 100 pieces, place
> each piece in a jar, and store each jar in 100
> different remote locations worldwide -- including
> one on the moon -- and they will find a way to
> rejoin and heal themselves within an hour."

I already told you. Try poisoning him.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 2:40:25 PM11/22/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Dr Hermes wrote:
> >>
> >> A more likely explanation than latent homoerotic subtext is plain and
> >> simple narcissism. The male reader identifies with the immense
> >> well-defined muscles clearly revealed as being a wish fulfilment image
> >> of his own body. (Both hero and villain.) It's a reason why characters
> >> who would not reasonably be body-builders (like say Dr Strange or Reed
> >> Richards) are usually shown as if they spent all their waking hours at
> >> Gold's Gym.
> >>
> >> And of course, it's not just a male phenomenon. Women have thousands of
> >> magazines, TV shows and movies featuring glamour girls with ridiculously
> >> expensive clothing, hairdos and living spaces to fill their audience's
> >> specific fantasies. I doubt if there's a hidden lesbian context there
> >> either.
> >
> > FINALLY!! Somebody in this world knows this besides me. I am no longer
> > alone in the universe.
>
> Get a room!

No!

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 2:44:52 PM11/22/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> "The Black Guardian" <blak...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> >> [snip blahblahblah]
> >> Because in the wrong hands, they would wreak havoc? So he's going to keep
> >> the technology for himself? How does the average human NOT take that
> >> personally? Who gets to draw the line of what the average human is or
> >> isn't
> >> entitled to know or have? The heroes themselves.
> >
> > Do you do take it personally that you can't own bullet-proof vests?
>
> I can't? Since when?

In some states the law only allows cops, reporters, politician,
bodyguards, bounty hunters, etc. to own them.

> > Sherman tanks? Nuclear missiles?
>
> I totally resent TPB for not letting me drive to work in a tank, yes. Don't
> you?

Seriously man. A sherman tank is the only thing white people can drive
through Harlem without getting jacked.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 5:38:11 PM11/22/05

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>
> Explosions, fightscenes, that car chase in the current issue of Jack
> Cross. Just look at what comics have become over the past thirty years.
> You think The Master of Kung Fu is geeky? You must feel the same way
> about Bruce Lee movies.

Master of Kung Fu? Now *there's* a typical modern comic book example, right?

> You think The Punisher is geeky?

I think the Punisher wears spandex for a reason, and that reason plays into
the public perception of fanboys fearing women.

i.e.: The Bulge (tm).

> And I don't know about
> you, but sometimes the fight scenes in Batman remind me of Jackie Chan
> movies.

Except Jackie Chan isn't wearing a superhero costume.

> Spider-Man even more so.

Ditto.

But all this is besides the point. It's not what happens INSIDE the comic
book that makes you a geek. There was nothing patently geeky in the
scene-by-scene deconstruction of MOST comic books in history... it's the
fact that it's a comic book at all that makes it geeky. If there was a way
to market comic books to non-geeks, and if it was about the content and not
the container, then there'd be Major League Baseball and NFL comic books
everywhere.

Once again, it's not the content. It's the container that makes it geeky.

> with you.

Actually, I was one of the jocks that were tormenting you in high school;
sorry. :)

I think my lack of in-depth knowledge of the industry has been painfully
flagrant in the past year. If anything, I'll be going back into my closet
with a copy of New Thunderbolts in one hand, a football in the other, and a
picture of my hot girlfriend in my back pocket. Don't hate me because I'm
beautiful!

>> Jon
>> --
>> "How the fuck do you kill Wolverine? He's fallen from
>> the clouds and survived. He's taken his own claws
>> clean through his throat from one end to the other,
>> and just needed a minute to catch his breath.
>> You could slice Wolverine in 100 pieces, place
>> each piece in a jar, and store each jar in 100
>> different remote locations worldwide -- including
>> one on the moon -- and they will find a way to
>> rejoin and heal themselves within an hour."
>
> I already told you. Try poisoning him.

His healing factor would simply develop the appropriate antibodies and
render him immune to the poison. He could drink it to quench his thirst
after a workout after that.

Jon

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 5:40:54 PM11/22/05

>> > Do you do take it personally that you can't own bullet-proof vests?
>>
>> I can't? Since when?
>
> In some states the law only allows cops, reporters, politician,
> bodyguards, bounty hunters, etc. to own them.

Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that? They
don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or something?
Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day with
his bullet proof vest?

"Oh no! Billy SNAPPED! He's going nuts with that vest! Someone stop him!!"

Pfeh. Americans. ;)

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 5:43:59 PM11/22/05

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
>> >
>> > FINALLY!! Somebody in this world knows this besides me. I am no longer
>> > alone in the universe.
>>
>> Get a room!
>
> No!

Oh, alright. But make it quick.

(Heh, like we have to ask.)

Fallen

Nov 22, 2005, 5:56:54 PM11/22/05
Agnos wrote:

I don't understand what you mean? You're saying that the Baron Blood
thing specifically had to be actual chain mail for it to work? And not,
as you say in the second paragraph, some other material in the style of
chain mail?

Fallen.

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Nov 22, 2005, 6:06:27 PM11/22/05
Also Sprach Fallen:

> Agnos wrote:
>

>>> Can't we just assume it's not actual chain mail instead?
>>> (Ignoring that it usually gets drawn as scale mail)

>> Unfortunately, no. Back in the Byrne run, Cap survived a

>> vampire attack from Baron Blood (?) precisely because he
>> wore his chain mail vest (which extends up to his neck,
>> obviously). Now, why the Baron did not notice that
>> particular detail is beyond me. During Maguire's
>> retelling of Cap's origin (that four issue limited series
>> that he did not finish the art chores), Cap is clearly
>> drawn wearing chain mail. However, I don't think it has
>> ever been established that the chain mail is made of
>> adamantium, as a previous poster has stated.
>>
>> Of course, there is nothing to prevent Cap from having
>> moved on from chain mail in the intervening years - I'm
>> sure Shield/Reed Richards/Tony Stark could have come up
>> with some extra durable chain mail-looking thing that is
>> very resistant and quiet (I mean, we're talking about an
>> universe with Vibranium, Adamantium, unstable molecules,
>> etc.).
>
> I don't understand what you mean? You're saying that the
> Baron Blood thing specifically had to be actual chain mail
> for it to work? And not, as you say in the second
> paragraph, some other material in the style of chain mail?

I've not read the story in question, but many supernatural
creatures (including some types of vampire) can only be
stopped by metal (usually a specific metal, such as cold iron
or silver, but let's leave that for the moment). It's possible
that the issue stated Cap survived for this reason, whereas
Blood would have laughed at advanced polymers and unstable
molecules. It's also possible, of course, that it didn't...

--
Dave
Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc
http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/sesoc
Hooray, Hooray, it's a wonderful day
For I have found my cow!
-"Where's My Cow?" (original version)

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 6:23:56 PM11/22/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

> >> I can't? Since when?
> >
> > In some states the law only allows cops, reporters, politician,
> > bodyguards, bounty hunters, etc. to own them.
>
> Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that? They
> don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or something?
> Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day with
> his bullet proof vest?

The logic is supposed to be that they don't want the vests easily
accessible so criminals can rob banks while wearing them thereby making
them unarrestible. The logic is flawed for two reasons. Firstly, no
matter whether something is legal or illegal it will always be
aquirable through the black market. And secondly, bullet proof vests
don't protect the head so it really doesn't matter if the robber is
wearing one or not.

Fallen

Nov 22, 2005, 6:32:41 PM11/22/05
Daibhid Ceanaideach wrote:

It says 'thin layer of chain mail which covers his neck". Not
particularly conclusive unfortunately. Especially as even back then it
wasn't drawn as chain mail but scale mail.

Fallen.

~consul

Nov 22, 2005, 6:35:42 PM11/22/05
Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
>>In some states the law only allows cops, reporters, politician,
>>bodyguards, bounty hunters, etc. to own them.
> Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that? They
> don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or something?
> Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day with
> his bullet proof vest?
> "Oh no! Billy SNAPPED! He's going nuts with that vest! Someone stop him!!"
> Pfeh. Americans. ;)

Actually, there are various levels of protection that are reserved for military
or police, mainly so the military and police can still shoot you down like the
criminal dog you are. :)
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For within these
Trials, we shall do what needs to be done."

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 7:09:00 PM11/22/05

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

>> > In some states the law only allows cops, reporters, politician,
>> > bodyguards, bounty hunters, etc. to own them.
>>
>> Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that? They
>> don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or something?
>> Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day
>> with
>> his bullet proof vest?
>
> The logic is supposed to be that they don't want the vests easily
> accessible so criminals can rob banks while wearing them thereby making
> them unarrestible.

Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to wound.
Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs, not the limbs you would
normally go for -- assuming you're forced to go at all -- in the case of a
bank robbery.

> The logic is flawed for two reasons. Firstly, no
> matter whether something is legal or illegal it will always be
> aquirable through the black market.

Right. Right now, only the people who SHOULDN'T have access to those
wonderful things are the ones who DO.

> And secondly, bullet proof vests
> don't protect the head so it really doesn't matter if the robber is
> wearing one or not.

The fact that you Americans only know how to shoot to kill is scary. ;)

YOU DON'T SHOOT BANK ROBBERS IN THE HEAD!! Man, you people need to CHILLAX.

LOL

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 7:09:57 PM11/22/05
"~consul" <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>>
> Actually, there are various levels of protection that are reserved for
> military or police, mainly so the military and police can still shoot you
> down like the criminal dog you are. :)

I am not a dog, I'm Canadian! And this is the 3rd time this year I've had to
point out the difference!

How rude.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 7:16:19 PM11/22/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> > Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> >
> > Explosions, fightscenes, that car chase in the current issue of Jack
> > Cross. Just look at what comics have become over the past thirty years.
> > You think The Master of Kung Fu is geeky? You must feel the same way
> > about Bruce Lee movies.
>
> Master of Kung Fu? Now *there's* a typical modern comic book example, right?

What pare of "thirty years" do you not understand?

> > You think The Punisher is geeky?
>
> I think the Punisher wears spandex for a reason, and that reason plays into
> the public perception of fanboys fearing women.

Idiot. He doesn't hardly wear that anymore. Mostly he wears regular
pants, a black t-shirt with a skull on it and a black lether trenchcoat
over it all. Pay attention.

> i.e.: The Bulge (tm).
>
> > And I don't know about
> > you, but sometimes the fight scenes in Batman remind me of Jackie Chan
> > movies.
>
> Except Jackie Chan isn't wearing a superhero costume.
>
> > Spider-Man even more so.
>
> Ditto.

Take what you can get.

> But all this is besides the point. It's not what happens INSIDE the comic
> book that makes you a geek. There was nothing patently geeky in the
> scene-by-scene deconstruction of MOST comic books in history... it's the
> fact that it's a comic book at all that makes it geeky. If there was a way
> to market comic books to non-geeks, and if it was about the content and not
> the container, then there'd be Major League Baseball and NFL comic books
> everywhere.

I see what you're saying, but that just isn't so in this day and age.
If someone was caught reading a Vertigo title like The Preacher or
Hitman they wouldn't exactly be considered geeky I can tell you that
right now. Personally, I'd consider them sick in the head.

> Once again, it's not the content. It's the container that makes it geeky.

> > with you.
>
> Actually, I was one of the jocks that were tormenting you in high school;
> sorry. :)

Yeah right.

> I think my lack of in-depth knowledge of the industry has been painfully
> flagrant in the past year. If anything, I'll be going back into my closet
> with a copy of New Thunderbolts in one hand, a football in the other, and a
> picture of my hot girlfriend in my back pocket. Don't hate me because I'm
> beautiful!

So you're a jock/geek hybrid? Please! Who you trying to kid?

> >> Jon
> >> --
> >> "How the fuck do you kill Wolverine? He's fallen from
> >> the clouds and survived. He's taken his own claws
> >> clean through his throat from one end to the other,
> >> and just needed a minute to catch his breath.
> >> You could slice Wolverine in 100 pieces, place
> >> each piece in a jar, and store each jar in 100
> >> different remote locations worldwide -- including
> >> one on the moon -- and they will find a way to
> >> rejoin and heal themselves within an hour."
> >
> > I already told you. Try poisoning him.
>
> His healing factor would simply develop the appropriate antibodies and
> render him immune to the poison. He could drink it to quench his thirst
> after a workout after that.

What he's got super immunity now? I guess the only thing to do would be
to cut a big whole in the right side of his chest and yank his heart
out before the healing factor kicks in.

> Jon

David L. Burkhead

Nov 22, 2005, 7:35:23 PM11/22/05
Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> "~consul" <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
>> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>>>
>> Actually, there are various levels of protection that are reserved
>> for military or police, mainly so the military and police can still
>> shoot you down like the criminal dog you are. :)
>
> I am not a dog, I'm Canadian! And this is the 3rd time this year I've
> had to point out the difference!

manfully . . . resists . . . straight . . . line.

--
David L. Burkhead "May I be just half the person
mailto:dbur...@comcast.net my dog thinks I am."

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 22, 2005, 7:27:02 PM11/22/05

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
>> > Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>> >
>> > Explosions, fightscenes, that car chase in the current issue of Jack
>> > Cross. Just look at what comics have become over the past thirty years.
>> > You think The Master of Kung Fu is geeky? You must feel the same way
>> > about Bruce Lee movies.
>>
>> Master of Kung Fu? Now *there's* a typical modern comic book example,
>> right?
>
> What pare of "thirty years" do you not understand?

Was the point not that today's comics are less geeky than the old ones? I
asked you how, and you pull out a 30 year old comic. That's, well, retarded
(pardon my french).

What part of THAT don't YOU understand?

>> > You think The Punisher is geeky?
>>
>> I think the Punisher wears spandex for a reason, and that reason plays
>> into
>> the public perception of fanboys fearing women.
>
> Idiot.

PENISHEAD!!!!!!

ha ha this is fun!

> He doesn't hardly wear that anymore.

Heheheheh... you said "hard".

> Mostly he wears regular
> pants, a black t-shirt with a skull on it and a black lether trenchcoat
> over it all. Pay attention.

Hey, I never said you were in love with the guy and fantasized about him...
but you sure are getting awful defensive for a guy who allegedly isn't.

> I see what you're saying,

You see what I am saying, but are you SEEING what I am SAYING?

(Ok, that was a very subtle joke almost no one will get.)

> but that just isn't so in this day and age.
> If someone was caught reading a Vertigo title like The Preacher or
> Hitman they wouldn't exactly be considered geeky I can tell you that
> right now. Personally, I'd consider them sick in the head.

What YOU would consider them isn't the issue here. It's what people "out
there" would consider them. And trust me, the perception of comic books
being geeky hasn't changed. I mean I wish it had, I could stop hiding them
under my bed when chicks come over... but the truth just isn't what you
think it is.

>> Actually, I was one of the jocks that were tormenting you in high school;
>> sorry. :)
>
> Yeah right.

Kick-ass reply!

>> I think my lack of in-depth knowledge of the industry has been painfully
>> flagrant in the past year. If anything, I'll be going back into my closet
>> with a copy of New Thunderbolts in one hand, a football in the other, and
>> picture of my hot girlfriend in my back pocket. Don't hate me because I'm
>> beautiful!
>
> So you're a jock/geek hybrid? Please! Who you trying to kid?

LOL.. if you've read any of my posts in the past year here, you know I don't
care one iota about coming across as anything on this newsgroup. I'm here to
have fun. So if it pisses you off that I was a jock in school, then okay, I
was a geek just like you. How's that?

I didn't just BUY pocket protectors... I COLLECTED them. Kept them all in
MINT condition.

Hah! Get it? MINT! Like the comics fanboys collect! I am UBERGEEK. Hear me
roar.

> What he's got super immunity now? I guess the only thing to do would be
> to cut a big whole in the right side of his chest and yank his heart
> out before the healing factor kicks in.

Ultimate Wolverine would just wake up hours later, sniff for the location of
his heart, sigh deeply, and crawl back to it just in time.

C'mon, too easy!

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 22, 2005, 8:05:29 PM11/22/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> > Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> >> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

> >> Master of Kung Fu? Now *there's* a typical modern comic book example,
> >> right?
> >
> > What pare of "thirty years" do you not understand?

They've been anything but for the past thirty years. You moron.

> Was the point not that today's comics are less geeky than the old ones? I
> asked you how, and you pull out a 30 year old comic. That's, well, retarded
> (pardon my french).
>
> What part of THAT don't YOU understand?

> >> I think the Punisher wears spandex for a reason, and that reason plays
> >> into
> >> the public perception of fanboys fearing women.
> >
> > Idiot.
>
> PENISHEAD!!!!!!
>
> ha ha this is fun!

Oooookay....

> > He doesn't hardly wear that anymore.
>
> Heheheheh... you said "hard".

Did you wake up crazy this morning or what?

> > Mostly he wears regular
> > pants, a black t-shirt with a skull on it and a black lether trenchcoat
> > over it all. Pay attention.
>
> Hey, I never said you were in love with the guy and fantasized about him...
> but you sure are getting awful defensive for a guy who allegedly isn't.

Now where did you get THAT from my statement? Are you that freaking
stupid?

> > I see what you're saying,
>
> You see what I am saying, but are you SEEING what I am SAYING?
>
> (Ok, that was a very subtle joke almost no one will get.)

Ok, you're nuts.

> > but that just isn't so in this day and age.
> > If someone was caught reading a Vertigo title like The Preacher or
> > Hitman they wouldn't exactly be considered geeky I can tell you that
> > right now. Personally, I'd consider them sick in the head.
>
> What YOU would consider them isn't the issue here. It's what people "out
> there" would consider them. And trust me, the perception of comic books
> being geeky hasn't changed. I mean I wish it had, I could stop hiding them
> under my bed when chicks come over... but the truth just isn't what you
> think it is.

And I'm telling you that they no longer consider that "out there". It
has changed greatly over the years. In the fifties there were never
whole stores that sell nothing but comics.

> >> Actually, I was one of the jocks that were tormenting you in high school;
> >> sorry. :)
> >
> > Yeah right.
>
> Kick-ass reply!

Like you would know.

> >> I think my lack of in-depth knowledge of the industry has been painfully
> >> flagrant in the past year. If anything, I'll be going back into my closet
> >> with a copy of New Thunderbolts in one hand, a football in the other, and
> >> picture of my hot girlfriend in my back pocket. Don't hate me because I'm
> >> beautiful!
> >
> > So you're a jock/geek hybrid? Please! Who you trying to kid?
>
> LOL.. if you've read any of my posts in the past year here, you know I don't
> care one iota about coming across as anything on this newsgroup. I'm here to
> have fun. So if it pisses you off that I was a jock in school, then okay, I
> was a geek just like you. How's that?

Don't patronize me, pal. If you didn't care what people thought, you
wouldn't have been so quick to tell me you were a jock. Why so
defensive?

> I didn't just BUY pocket protectors... I COLLECTED them. Kept them all in
> MINT condition.
>
> Hah! Get it? MINT! Like the comics fanboys collect! I am UBERGEEK. Hear me
> roar.

You really are insane, aren't you?

> > What he's got super immunity now? I guess the only thing to do would be
> > to cut a big whole in the right side of his chest and yank his heart
> > out before the healing factor kicks in.
>
> Ultimate Wolverine would just wake up hours later, sniff for the location of
> his heart, sigh deeply, and crawl back to it just in time.

I doubt that. Once he's lost his heart, there wouldn't be anything left
to keep him alive. But I wouldn't expect a mental case like you to
understand that.

YKW '05

Nov 22, 2005, 8:21:41 PM11/22/05
On 22 Nov 2005, the voices tell me "Jon J. Yeager" <nos...@thanks.com>
wrote:

> Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to
> wound.

Which is what makes you Canadians.

> The fact that you Americans only know how to shoot to kill is scary.

Which is what makes =us= Americans.

> ;)

M.O.R

Nov 22, 2005, 9:00:11 PM11/22/05
>is wakanda an ally of the u.s.? if so, i would say he'd thumb his nose to
>them also.

The thing is tho that T'Challa contacted Dr Doom at one point during
Geoff Johns run, much to the hatred of alot of his Avengers teammates,
so I doubt Wakanda is anyone's ally, it seems slightly neutral in terms
of siding with one country against another.

Clell Harmon

Nov 23, 2005, 12:43:32 AM11/23/05
On 23 Nov 2005 01:09:00 +0100, "Jon J. Yeager" <nos...@thanks.com>
wrote:

><rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
>> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>>> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

>>> Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that? They
>>> don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or something?
>>> Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day
>>> with
>>> his bullet proof vest?
>>
>> The logic is supposed to be that they don't want the vests easily
>> accessible so criminals can rob banks while wearing them thereby making
>> them unarrestible.
>
>Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to wound.

Are you certain of this? I've been on gun ranges all over the
world, and every range master has his standard spiel about shooting at
the center of body mass. One other thing that every range master told
me was never point a weapon at someone unless you intended to kill
him/her.

>Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs, not the limbs you would
>normally go for -- assuming you're forced to go at all -- in the case of a
>bank robbery.
>
>> The logic is flawed for two reasons. Firstly, no
>> matter whether something is legal or illegal it will always be
>> aquirable through the black market.
>
>Right. Right now, only the people who SHOULDN'T have access to those
>wonderful things are the ones who DO.
>
>> And secondly, bullet proof vests
>> don't protect the head so it really doesn't matter if the robber is
>> wearing one or not.
>
>The fact that you Americans only know how to shoot to kill is scary. ;)
>
>YOU DON'T SHOOT BANK ROBBERS IN THE HEAD!! Man, you people need to CHILLAX.

Anyone who aims for a head shot in a combat situation is a
fool. you aim for the center of body mass, at least until you see
that he/she is shrugging off the rounds (which is highly unlikely
because the kenetic force transfer will still knock the dog shit out
of you, right through the vest)

--
Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.

Mike Swaim

Nov 23, 2005, 9:45:54 AM11/23/05
Jon J. Yeager wrote:

> Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to
> wound. Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs, not the limbs
> you would normally go for -- assuming you're forced to go at all --
> in the case of a bank robbery.

The problem is that shooting for the arms or legs is a harder shot. If
you shoot for the middle of the target (the torso), and miss it, you
might still hit an arm or a leg. If you're going for an arm or leg, you
have a less likely chance of hitting the smaller target, and are more
likely to hit something else entirely (which can be very bad).

--
Mike Swaim sw...@hal-pc.org at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics
mps...@mdanderson.org or msw...@odin.mdacc.tmc.edu at work
ICBM: 29.763N 95.363W|Disclaimer: Yeah, like I speak for MD Anderson.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 23, 2005, 11:25:44 AM11/23/05
"Mike Swaim" <mps...@mdanderson.org> wrote in message

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>
>> Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to
>> wound. Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs, not the limbs
>> you would normally go for -- assuming you're forced to go at all --
>> in the case of a bank robbery.
>
> The problem is that shooting for the arms or legs is a harder shot. If
> you shoot for the middle of the target (the torso), and miss it, you
> might still hit an arm or a leg. If you're going for an arm or leg, you
> have a less likely chance of hitting the smaller target, and are more
> likely to hit something else entirely (which can be very bad).

The entire comment was in response to the "logic" that the PTB don't want
bulletproof vests to fall into the "wrong hands", like it was somehow
possible for bulletproof vests to fall into the wrong hands. Take bank
robbers, for instance. My response was that cops usually don't want to KILL
bank robbers, so they shouldn't care if they're wearing the vests or not.
Just think of the paperwork involved with killing everyone you're trying to
take down on the job. If anything, cops would WANT bank robbers and petty
criminals to wear the vests, so they can feel free shooting at them without
hesitation.

What does everyone here think happens when you shoot a guy in a bulletproof
vest? That it bounces off like in the cartoons? That it tickles? Hell no,
it'll break your ribs anyway. It just won't clear a path through your torso.
Shoot a bank robber wearing a bullet proof vest and no matter WHERE you hit
him, be it the vest or a limb, he is downed -- and not dead. Which is what
the cops are supposed to WANT to happen.

The PTB are supposed to want all life preserved, not just those with a clean
record. That's why we don't kill criminals, we lock them up. There's no
reason for bulletproof vests to not be available at Walmart. For Christ's
sake, you can buy the rifle there -- why not the vest?

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 23, 2005, 11:36:05 AM11/23/05

> Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

>> > What pare of "thirty years" do you not understand?
>
> They've been anything but for the past thirty years.

Ooookaaaaay... when you start making sense, call me.

> You moron.

CACA POOPOO HEAD!!!

Doesn't the namecalling make you feel a bit silly?

>> > Idiot.
>>
>> PENISHEAD!!!!!!
>
> Oooookay....

Looks like you're starting to get it.

Namecalling = juvenile. Repeat 10 times.

>> > He doesn't hardly wear that anymore.
>>
>> Heheheheh... you said "hard".
>
> Did you wake up crazy this morning or what?

No, I just don't take threads in this group seriously once they crossed the
threashold of mutual respect. So if I can't get anything serious from it,
I'll at least have some laughs with it.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

>> > Mostly he wears regular
>> > pants, a black t-shirt with a skull on it and a black lether trenchcoat
>> > over it all. Pay attention.
>>
>> Hey, I never said you were in love with the guy and fantasized about
>> him...
>> but you sure are getting awful defensive for a guy who allegedly isn't.
>
> Now where did you get THAT from my statement? Are you that freaking
> stupid?

POOPOO CACA PENIS HEAD!!!!!

And here I thought you'd learned about the namecalling.

>> What YOU would consider them isn't the issue here. It's what people "out
>> there" would consider them. And trust me, the perception of comic books
>> being geeky hasn't changed. I mean I wish it had, I could stop hiding
>> them
>> under my bed when chicks come over... but the truth just isn't what you
>> think it is.
>
> And I'm telling you that they no longer consider that "out there". It
> has changed greatly over the years.

Hey, if that helps you sleep at night, go with it.

>> > Yeah right.
>>
>> Kick-ass reply!
>
> Like you would know.

And another! You're freaking awesome at this, dude. :) I'm reeling, here.

>> LOL.. if you've read any of my posts in the past year here, you know I
>> don't
>> care one iota about coming across as anything on this newsgroup. I'm here
>> have fun. So if it pisses you off that I was a jock in school, then okay,
>> was a geek just like you. How's that?
>
> Don't patronize me, pal. If you didn't care what people thought, you
> wouldn't have been so quick to tell me you were a jock. Why so
> defensive?

Oh, yeah... *I'm* the one of us who got defensive in this thread. LOL

> You really are insane, aren't you?

I'm not insane! I'm Canadian!! Dammit, why can't anyone get it right!?

>> > What he's got super immunity now? I guess the only thing to do would be
>> > to cut a big whole in the right side of his chest and yank his heart
>> > out before the healing factor kicks in.
>>
>> Ultimate Wolverine would just wake up hours later, sniff for the location
>> of
>> his heart, sigh deeply, and crawl back to it just in time.
>
> I doubt that. Once he's lost his heart, there wouldn't be anything left
> to keep him alive. But I wouldn't expect a mental case like you to
> understand that.

POOPOO PENIS CACA POO PIPI HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you saw those links I posted of Ultimate Wolverine, then you'd stop
embarrassing us both (as well as all comic book readers everywhere) by
trying to prove via logic that Wolverine can be killed.

That, right there, is why those people "out there" still consider you a
geek, my friend.

prestorjon

Nov 23, 2005, 1:50:16 PM11/23/05
<<Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that?
They
don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or
something?
Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day
with
his bullet proof vest? >>

Probably to prevent the kind of situation that happened in Hollywood
several years ago where a pairs of bank robbers held off several dozen
cops because they were wearing body armor and carrying assault weapons.
They made a movie about it a few yeara ago. They apparently pumped a
lot of rounds into these guys but one ended up killing himself and the
other was finally taken out by SWAT members.

prestorjon

Nov 23, 2005, 1:54:10 PM11/23/05
<<Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to
wound.
Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs, not the limbs you would
normally go for -- assuming you're forced to go at all -- in the case
of a
bank robbery. >>

Here's a secret. Most cops aren't that great shots. Even in big
cities it can be fairly rare for any particular police officer to fire
their gun in anger and some only fire their guns enough to qualify on
the firing range. Hitting center mass is hard enough without trying
anything creative like winging someone in the arm (especially because,
if you miss, or even maybe it you hit, that bullet will keep going).

prestorjon

Nov 23, 2005, 2:00:05 PM11/23/05
<<> Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to
> wound.

Which is what makes you Canadians.

> The fact that you Americans only know how to shoot to kill is scary.

Which is what makes =us= Americans. >>

Reminds me of the film Barcelona. The one Spanish girl is talking
about how much more violent America is and the American says that's not
true. "But what about all those shooting?" she asks "Oh well,
shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean we're more violent. It just
means we're better shots."

David Johnston

Nov 23, 2005, 2:07:16 PM11/23/05
On 23 Nov 2005 14:45:54 GMT, "Mike Swaim" <mps...@mdanderson.org>
wrote:

>Jon J. Yeager wrote:
>
>> Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to
>> wound. Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs, not the limbs
>> you would normally go for -- assuming you're forced to go at all --
>> in the case of a bank robbery.
>
>The problem is that shooting for the arms or legs is a harder shot.

Yeah it is. But then of course that was a load of codswallop.
Canadian cops shoot to kill just like any other cop.

prestorjon

Nov 23, 2005, 2:07:38 PM11/23/05
<<. My response was that cops usually don't want to KILL
bank robbers, so they shouldn't care if they're wearing the vests or
not>>

Cops don't usually WANT to kill anyone. But sometimes they have to.
Take a look at that recent video of that idiot who got out of his car
and pointed a hunting rifle at the cops. They let this guy do that a
couple of times before they shot him, but in the end the idiot wouldn't
put his gun down.

<<What does everyone here think happens when you shoot a guy in a
bulletproof
vest? That it bounces off like in the cartoons? That it tickles? Hell
no,
it'll break your ribs anyway.>>

Well, in the Hollywood shoot out, which is the most prominent example
of police being stymied by body armor that I'm aware of, the robbers
WERE real beat up (IIRC one of the guys suffered a broken spine but the
vest acted like a sausage skin and kept everything in place) by the
shots they were taking. But they were still able to fight the cops for
about forty five minutes. I don't remember if they killed anyone but
they definitely wounded several officers and a few civilians.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 23, 2005, 2:39:02 PM11/23/05
"prestorjon" <prest...@aol.com> wrote in message

> <<Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that?
> They
> don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or
> something?
> Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day
> with
> his bullet proof vest? >>
>
> Probably to prevent the kind of situation that happened in Hollywood
> several years ago where a pairs of bank robbers held off several dozen
> cops because they were wearing body armor and carrying assault weapons.

Who said anything about body armor and assault weapons? We're talking about
something that will not prevent cops from taking you down... just killing
you. Have you ever been shot wearing a bulletproof vest? It doesn't just
tickle. It'll crack your ribs in two. You WILL go down.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 23, 2005, 2:41:13 PM11/23/05

> Here's a secret. Most cops aren't that great shots. Even in big
> cities it can be fairly rare for any particular police officer to fire
> their gun in anger and some only fire their guns enough to qualify on
> the firing range. Hitting center mass is hard enough without trying
> anything creative like winging someone in the arm (especially because,
> if you miss, or even maybe it you hit, that bullet will keep going).

Again, I'll repeat : Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs only.
They won't stop you from taking the guy down. Just stop you from killing
him. A shot in the chest wearing one of these things will still crack your
ribs. You'll still go down. You just won't die. Same if you're off by a bit
and get the arms or legs.

I'm still not seeing the downside of making bulletproof vests available at
Walmart.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 23, 2005, 2:49:20 PM11/23/05

> <<. My response was that cops usually don't want to KILL
> bank robbers, so they shouldn't care if they're wearing the vests or
> not>>
>
> Cops don't usually WANT to kill anyone. But sometimes they have to.

And I never made any reference to those situations. Odds are, petty theft is
NOT one of those times when you WANT to kill.

> Take a look at that recent video of that idiot who got out of his car
> and pointed a hunting rifle at the cops.

Do you think a bulletproof vest will stop you from taking him down? What do
you think a bullet to the chest wearing a bulletproof vest feels like?

> Well, in the Hollywood shoot out, which is the most prominent example

But I am not talking about a hollywood writer's interpretation of anything.
If you want to go by that yardstick, I can pull out a bunch of examples that
support MY theories, too.

> about forty five minutes. I don't remember if they killed anyone but
> they definitely wounded several officers and a few civilians.

Still not seeing how a bulletproof vest that will still crack your ribs or
knock you out from sheer pain when shot at is going to prevent anyone from
disarming or arresting anybody.

Jon J. Yeager

Nov 23, 2005, 2:49:32 PM11/23/05

> Yeah it is. But then of course that was a load of codswallop.
> Canadian cops shoot to kill just like any other cop.

Yes, that's right, David. Cops ALWAYS shoot to kill, no matter what the
scenario. You tell'em, tiger!

*eyeroll*

~consul

Nov 23, 2005, 3:09:02 PM11/23/05
Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> "prestorjon" <prest...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>Well, in the Hollywood shoot out, which is the most prominent example
> But I am not talking about a hollywood writer's interpretation of anything.
> If you want to go by that yardstick, I can pull out a bunch of examples that
> support MY theories, too.

Not Hollywood writer's interp. North Hollywood, California shootout.

<http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout>

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 23, 2005, 3:59:27 PM11/23/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> >> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

> > They've been anything but for the past thirty years.
>
> Ooookaaaaay... when you start making sense, call me.

Ok, next I'll make sure to speak slowly and only use one syllable words
so you'll understand.

> > You moron.
>
> CACA POOPOO HEAD!!!

I was right. You really are nuts.

> Doesn't the namecalling make you feel a bit silly?

You must feel silly quite often.

> >> PENISHEAD!!!!!!
> >
> > Oooookay....
>
> Looks like you're starting to get it.
>
> Namecalling = juvenile. Repeat 10 times.

Yet for some reason, you seem to be quite the expert at it.

> >> Heheheheh... you said "hard".
> >
> > Did you wake up crazy this morning or what?
>
> No, I just don't take threads in this group seriously once they crossed the
> threashold of mutual respect. So if I can't get anything serious from it,
> I'll at least have some laughs with it.

You take things seriously?

> When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

And I'm the geek here?

> >> Hey, I never said you were in love with the guy and fantasized about
> >> him...
> >> but you sure are getting awful defensive for a guy who allegedly isn't.
> >
> > Now where did you get THAT from my statement? Are you that freaking
> > stupid?
>
> POOPOO CACA PENIS HEAD!!!!!
>
> And here I thought you'd learned about the namecalling.

That's why you're insane.

> >> What YOU would consider them isn't the issue here. It's what people "out
> >> there" would consider them. And trust me, the perception of comic books
> >> being geeky hasn't changed. I mean I wish it had, I could stop hiding
> >> them
> >> under my bed when chicks come over... but the truth just isn't what you
> >> think it is.
> >
> > And I'm telling you that they no longer consider that "out there". It
> > has changed greatly over the years.
>
> Hey, if that helps you sleep at night, go with it.

So, you're in denial? Ok.

> >> Kick-ass reply!
> >
> > Like you would know.
>
> And another! You're freaking awesome at this, dude. :) I'm reeling, here.

You are? Boy are you easy.

> >> LOL.. if you've read any of my posts in the past year here, you know I
> >> don't
> >> care one iota about coming across as anything on this newsgroup. I'm here
> >> have fun. So if it pisses you off that I was a jock in school, then okay,
> >> was a geek just like you. How's that?
> >
> > Don't patronize me, pal. If you didn't care what people thought, you
> > wouldn't have been so quick to tell me you were a jock. Why so
> > defensive?
>
> Oh, yeah... *I'm* the one of us who got defensive in this thread. LOL

You were quick to say you were a jock instead of a geek.

> > You really are insane, aren't you?
>
> I'm not insane! I'm Canadian!! Dammit,

Oh. That explains a lot.

> why can't anyone get it right!?

I'm guessing it's because the two are synonomous. Any country that can
create something like the Red Green Show has got to have some issues.

> >> Ultimate Wolverine would just wake up hours later, sniff for the location
> >> of
> >> his heart, sigh deeply, and crawl back to it just in time.
> >
> > I doubt that. Once he's lost his heart, there wouldn't be anything left
> > to keep him alive. But I wouldn't expect a mental case like you to
> > understand that.
>
> POOPOO PENIS CACA POO PIPI HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> If you saw those links I posted of Ultimate Wolverine, then you'd stop
> embarrassing us both (as well as all comic book readers everywhere) by
> trying to prove via logic that Wolverine can be killed.

There's a difference between the two Wolverines, but how to kill them
isn't one of those differences. Either take out the heart, or look him
up in a bank vault and leave there until the air runs out.

> That, right there, is why those people "out there" still consider you a
> geek, my friend.

Not the type of conversation I would expect a jock to participate in.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 23, 2005, 4:00:52 PM11/23/05
Ain't that the truth.

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 23, 2005, 4:05:06 PM11/23/05

Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message
> > Jon J. Yeager wrote:
> >> <rc02...@reinhardt.edu> wrote in message

> >> Huh? You Americans are funny. Where's the logic in a law like that? They
> >> don't want bullet-proof vests to fall into the WRONG HANDS or something?
> >> Like some crazy teenage kid who might go all LOCO on everyone one day
> >> with
> >> his bullet proof vest?
> >
> > The logic is supposed to be that they don't want the vests easily
> > accessible so criminals can rob banks while wearing them thereby making
> > them unarrestible.
>
> Here in Canada, we don't shoot bank robbers to kill. We shoot to wound.
> Bulletproof vests protect the heart and lungs, not the limbs you would
> normally go for -- assuming you're forced to go at all -- in the case of a
> bank robbery.

A limb shot wouldn't incapacitate a guy enough to keep him from
shooting back.

> > The logic is flawed for two reasons. Firstly, no
> > matter whether something is legal or illegal it will always be
> > aquirable through the black market.
>
> Right. Right now, only the people who SHOULDN'T have access to those
> wonderful things are the ones who DO.

Exactly.

> > And secondly, bullet proof vests
> > don't protect the head so it really doesn't matter if the robber is
> > wearing one or not.
>
> The fact that you Americans only know how to shoot to kill is scary. ;)
>
> YOU DON'T SHOOT BANK ROBBERS IN THE HEAD!! Man, you people need to CHILLAX.

Chillax??? is that some language that crazy people speak?

rc02...@reinhardt.edu

Nov 23, 2005, 4:10:02 PM11/23/05

Yeah well, you also said that you served in the navy too. So don't be
surprised if no one cares what you have to say.

David Johnston

Nov 23, 2005, 4:12:32 PM11/23/05
On 23 Nov 2005 20:49:32 +0100, "Jon J. Yeager" <nos...@thanks.com>
wrote:

>"David Johnston" <rgo...@block.net> wrote in message

>> Yeah it is. But then of course that was a load of codswallop.
>> Canadian cops shoot to kill just like any other cop.
>
>Yes, that's right, David. Cops ALWAYS shoot to kill, no matter what the
>scenario.

What gave you the idea that Canadian cops shoot to wound?

It is loading more messages.