Green Lantern's Girlfriend is...

KalElFan

Dec 22, 2009, 11:31:33 AM12/22/09
One of these five according to this site, which has had a decent
reputation for reliable news on stuff like this...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-one-of-these-five-lovely-ladies-will-be-hal-jordan-s-girlfriend-8843

Blake Lively is too TV trendy I think, at least right now.

Garner I just don't see in this role.

Eva Green, maybe but I think Russell or Kruger, in that order as
the writer of the article says, would be best. The description of
the character, Carol Ferris, sounds a better fit for Russell. She
was great in MI:3 and I can also see her working best opposite
Ryan Reynolds. (Though he's seemed to do well opposite
several different actresses, so the others would probably work
okay too in that respect.)

Professor Bubba

Dec 22, 2009, 12:08:56 PM12/22/09
In article <7pcal5...@mid.individual.net>, KalElFan
<kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

Russell would be the best of the bunch. I would have preferred Nathan
Fillion to Ryan Reynolds as GL, too.

Ian J. Ball

Dec 22, 2009, 12:48:41 PM12/22/09
On Dec 22, 9:08 am, Professor Bubba <bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:
> In article <7pcal5Fgv...@mid.individual.net>, KalElFan

> <kalel...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
> > One of these five according to this site, which has had a decent
> > reputation for reliable news on stuff like this...
>
> >http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-one-of-these-five-lovely-l...

> > l-be-hal-jordan-s-girlfriend-8843
>
> > Blake Lively is too TV trendy I think, at least right now.
>
> > Garner I just don't see in this role.
>
> > Eva Green, maybe but I think Russell or Kruger, in that order as
> > the writer of the article says, would be best.  The description of
> > the character, Carol Ferris, sounds a better fit for Russell.  She
> > was great in MI:3 and I can also see her working best opposite
> > Ryan Reynolds.  (Though he's seemed to do well opposite
> > several different actresses, so the others would probably work
> > okay too in that respect.)
>
> Russell would be the best of the bunch.

Where can I vote "NONE OF THE ABOVE"?!!

William George Ferguson

Dec 22, 2009, 1:08:01 PM12/22/09
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:31:33 -0500, "KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com>
wrote:

So, she doesn't become a super-villain untilt he 2nd film?

--
"Oh Buffy, you really do need to have
every square inch of your ass kicked."

Anim8rFSK

Dec 22, 2009, 2:16:15 PM12/22/09
In article <221220091208561950%bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid>,
Professor Bubba <bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:

Oh yeah

--
Tiger Woods has just been named "Athlete of the Year"
His chosen event? The Broad Jump.

record hunter

Dec 22, 2009, 3:22:39 PM12/22/09
On Dec 22, 12:08 pm, Professor Bubba <bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid>
wrote:
> In article <7pcal5Fgv...@mid.individual.net>, KalElFan

> <kalel...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
> > One of these five according to this site, which has had a decent
> > reputation for reliable news on stuff like this...
>
> >http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-one-of-these-five-lovely-l...

> > l-be-hal-jordan-s-girlfriend-8843
>
> > Blake Lively is too TV trendy I think, at least right now.
>
> > Garner I just don't see in this role.
>
> > Eva Green, maybe but I think Russell or Kruger, in that order as
> > the writer of the article says, would be best. The description of
> > the character, Carol Ferris, sounds a better fit for Russell. She
> > was great in MI:3 and I can also see her working best opposite
> > Ryan Reynolds. (Though he's seemed to do well opposite
> > several different actresses, so the others would probably work
> > okay too in that respect.)
>
> Russell would be the best of the bunch. I would have preferred Nathan
> Fillion to Ryan Reynolds as GL, too.

I would LOVE it to be Keri Russell.

As for GL, Ryan Reynolds is a little on the pretty side, but you can
see how nicely he bulks when the uniform comes off. I've never seen
Nathan Fillion shirtless.

KalElFan

Dec 22, 2009, 3:49:51 PM12/22/09
Moderate SPOILERS here for the movie, mainly who the villain(s) are
and aren't.

"William George Ferguson" <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:31:33 -0500, "KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One of these five according to this site, which has had a decent
>> reputation for reliable news on stuff like this...
>>
>> http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-one-of-these-five-lovely-ladies-will-be-hal-jordan-s-girlfriend-8843
>>
>> Blake Lively is too TV trendy I think, at least right now.
>>
>> Garner I just don't see in this role.
>>
>> Eva Green, maybe but I think Russell or Kruger, in that order as
>> the writer of the article says, would be best. The description of
>> the character, Carol Ferris, sounds a better fit for Russell. She
>> was great in MI:3 and I can also see her working best opposite
>> Ryan Reynolds. (Though he's seemed to do well opposite
>> several different actresses, so the others would probably work
>> okay too in that respect.)
>
> So, she doesn't become a super-villain until the 2nd film?

For those like me not that familiar with Hal Jordan / Green Lantern's
cast of characters...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Ferris

Reading through that it refers to her Star Sapphire alter ego
always reverting, and in recent animated incarnations it not even
appearing. In at least one incarnation (it seems to be the norm)
she's also his girlfriend before he becomes Green Lantern. This
first movie is an origin story at the start, very well done based
on a script review, with Legion and then a cross between
Legion and Hector Hammond the villain.

KalElFan

Dec 22, 2009, 3:48:34 PM12/22/09
"Ian J. Ball" <ib...@san.rr.com> wrote in message

> Where can I vote "NONE OF THE ABOVE"?!!

Four threads down, third post on your right next to the
ACORN office. Vote as often as you like.

Professor Bubba

Dec 22, 2009, 4:51:01 PM12/22/09
In article
<bdbe9b93-c4db-4076...@h40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

I was thinking about who could play a 30-something woman capable of
running a multi-billion-dollar airplane-building corporation, and then
I thought aw, the hell with it. Just put Amy Adams in there and I'll
be happy. They can even make her Green Lantern if they want to.

grinningdemon

Dec 22, 2009, 8:18:57 PM12/22/09

Hal and Carol have had an on and off again thing since the silver
age...he knew her before he was GL but whether or not they were
already dating seems to depend on which version you read...she has
been possessed by Star Saphire repeatedly and turned into a
villain...she is currently Star Saphire again but, this time, she is
in control so she's actually on Hal's side.

As far as I know, there are only two significant animated versions of
Hal Jordan...the GL: First Flight and JL: New Frontier movies...Carol
appeared in both but both introduced Hal as though for the first time
so it's not surprising that Star Saphire hasn't come into it.

grinningdemon

Dec 22, 2009, 8:21:52 PM12/22/09

Ryan Reynolds was also attached to the Flash film at one point and I
think that would have been a better fit for him...Nathan Fillion is
great but he may be a little old to play GL at this point (at least in
an origin film)...if we were talking about an older, veteran version
of Hal (kind like he is currently in the comics), Fillion would be
perfect.

Kenneth M. Lin

Dec 22, 2009, 8:29:58 PM12/22/09

"Professor Bubba" <bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote in message

Yeah, and Hal Jordon's secret identity could be a physician and Carol is the
waitress at the local pie shop.

Anim8rFSK

Dec 22, 2009, 10:21:39 PM12/22/09
In article <gtOdnV11Z7oC76zW...@giganews.com>,

Pieface!

--
Tiger Woods has just been named "Athlete of the Decade"

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 23, 2009, 12:04:36 AM12/23/09
In article <snr2j5dtg1dtfi99t...@4ax.com>,

Don't forget the "Duck Dodgers" "Green Lantern" crossover..

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

grinningdemon

Dec 23, 2009, 12:37:18 AM12/23/09
On 23 Dec 2009 05:04:36 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

I said "significant" animated versions...I wouldn't count a single
episode of a random TV show...he also appeared in an episode of JLU
and an episode of The Batman but, as they were just guest appearances
in someone else's show so I don't consider them significant
either...he was basically the star of New Frontier and certainly the
star of GL: First Flight.

IAPW

Dec 23, 2009, 2:04:23 AM12/23/09
KalElFan wrote:
> One of these five according to this site, which has had a decent
> reputation for reliable news on stuff like this...

I'm more interested in finding out who play Katma Tui.

TBerk

Dec 23, 2009, 2:19:18 AM12/23/09

I don't know what's wrong w/ the rest of you guys but based on those
photos; Eva Green for the win.

berk

Tim Turnip

Dec 23, 2009, 8:13:19 AM12/23/09

In the original version (and hence in pre-Crisis continuity
generally), Hal and Carol were romantically attracted but she declined
his advances because they worked together (specifically because he
worked under her). Once Green Lantern made the scene, she transferred
her affections to him, Lois-Lane-style.

Professor Bubba

Dec 23, 2009, 10:41:56 AM12/23/09
In article <2ta3j5h8oq81e68a5...@4ax.com>, grinningdemon
<grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

I would consider DD significant. The Duck Dodgers episode not only
featured Hal and the Corps at a time when they were no longer in the
comics, but it was the first time we'd ever seen Lanterns such as
Kilowog and Katma Tui in animation.

In addition to all that, and it may not matter to its significance, but
the episode was enormous fun.

grinningdemon

Dec 23, 2009, 12:30:20 PM12/23/09
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:41:56 -0500, Professor Bubba
<bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:

>In article <2ta3j5h8oq81e68a5...@4ax.com>, grinningdemon
><grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23 Dec 2009 05:04:36 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:
>> >Don't forget the "Duck Dodgers" "Green Lantern" crossover..
>> >
>> > Ted
>>
>> I said "significant" animated versions...I wouldn't count a single
>> episode of a random TV show...he also appeared in an episode of JLU
>> and an episode of The Batman but, as they were just guest appearances
>> in someone else's show so I don't consider them significant
>> either...he was basically the star of New Frontier and certainly the
>> star of GL: First Flight.
>

>I would consider DD significant. The Duck Dodgers episode not only
>featured Hal and the Corps at a time when they were no longer in the
>comics, but it was the first time we'd ever seen Lanterns such as
>Kilowog and Katma Tui in animation.

It came before the early Justice League ep with the GLC? Hal wasn't
in it but many of the others were.

>In addition to all that, and it may not matter to its significance, but
>the episode was enormous fun.

Maybe so but, as you say, it really doesn't matter to its
significance.

Kenneth M. Lin

Dec 23, 2009, 3:07:15 PM12/23/09

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

Actually this is in reference to the movie called Waitress starring Fillion
and Russell. I guess nobody likes movies here.

Professor Bubba

Dec 23, 2009, 6:24:51 PM12/23/09
In article <uv2dnQZIMMXm5a_W...@giganews.com>, Kenneth M.
Lin <kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Damn. Waitress is on the DVR for me to watch, but I've been doing
Christmas movies instead. I didn't even know Fillion was in it.
Thanks for explaining the joke.

Duggy

Dec 23, 2009, 8:29:31 PM12/23/09
On Dec 23, 7:19 am, TBerk <bayareab...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know what's wrong w/ the rest of you guys but based on those
> photos; Eva Green for the win.

Based on specific photos is always a killer with these things.

A single static shot can be chosen to look most like the character,
but make-up, hair, costuming and, you know, acting can change a
character who at first looks wrong right.

The same as fan-casing based on other material... sometimes the fact
that an actor has played a similar character before or always plays
themselves and is similar will mean they will only a similar character
never be exactly right, while an actor who seems completely wrong but
can act will be right.

I'm sure we could find a lot of Brandon Routh pictures before Superman
Returns that look like he'd be perfect for Superman.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Dec 23, 2009, 8:31:20 PM12/23/09
On Dec 23, 8:07 pm, "Kenneth M. Lin" <kenneth_m_...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> >> Yeah, and Hal Jordon's secret identity could be a physician and Carol is
> >> the
> >> waitress at the local pie shop.
> Actually this is in reference to the movie called Waitress starring Fillion
> and Russell. I guess nobody likes movies here.

I got the ref.

I like movies.

That one I like and don't.

===
= DUG.
===

TBerk

Dec 23, 2009, 10:02:32 PM12/23/09

"Oohfgh"; a shot to the ribcage, 'berk' winces and nods sagely...

berk

KalElFan

Dec 24, 2009, 12:52:03 AM12/24/09
"TBerk" <bayar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I don't know what's wrong w/ the rest of you guys but based on
> those photos; Eva Green for the win.

It's a great photo but there's a bunch of them on IMDb and
others not so much:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1955305472/nm1200692

Here's the gallery:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1200692/mediaindex

There are some good photos there too, and the Director
(Martin Campbell) may prefer her because she worked
on the Bond reboot. But capital-G Great looks might
backfire on a role like this anyway, because Ferris is
supposed to be running an aerospace company. That
raises the bar on Show Me The Smarts. With a Bond
Girl, or the Kirsten Dunst character in Spider-Man (a
wannabe actress) they can get away with emphasizing
looks.

Diane Kruger's breakout role was Helen of Troy, so
I think casting her would also invoke this issue. She's
gorgeous, but would she be perceived as a daughter
who could take over her father's aerospace company?
All five are good looking, but I think Russell's the only
one that strikes me as that type, and probably Garner
second. Garner not so much in the Green Lantern's
Girlfriend role though.

Russell in MI:3 pretty much seals the deal. She was
both the action hero and the potential love interest that
the audience roots for. I won't spoil it beyond that here,
but it was a memorable role and I think she could easily
handle the Star Sapphire part of it very effectively if they
go that route in one of the sequels.

Russell has also had Warners connections, voicing
Wonder Woman and reportedly finishing second to
Kate Bosworth for the Lois Lane role. So corporate
loyalty demands this casting. :-)

And if all that doesn't persuade, I just noticed Russell's
MI:3 character's last name was Farris. So it's aligned
in the stars that she must now play Ferris as well. :-)

KalElFan

Dec 24, 2009, 6:00:18 PM12/24/09
SPOILERS again on the basic origin story and villain setup in the
movie.

"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> Hal and Carol have had an on and off again thing since the silver
> age...he knew her before he was GL but whether or not they were
> already dating seems to depend on which version you read...she has

> been possessed by Star Sapphire repeatedly and turned into a
> villain...she is currently Star Sapphire again but, this time, she is

> in control so she's actually on Hal's side.

I actually like the temporarily "possessed by Star Sapphire... and
turned into a villain" story potential, but only for the one sequel. If
Wiki is correct ("Over the years, Star Sapphire and Green Lantern
would duel again and again, but each time Jordan would defeat
Ferris and revert her to normal.") then it's not the kind of thing the
movie series would want to repeat over and over again. Maybe
set it up in the second movie and do it as part of the third.

It has both dramatic and comedic potential, the two characters
who love each other being at each other's throats for part of the
third movie, the girlfriend also having a secret ID even she may
not remember depending how they handle it and so on. It gives
the Carol Ferris character some strong potential over the course
of the series as this plays out.

> As far as I know, there are only two significant animated versions of
> Hal Jordan...the GL: First Flight and JL: New Frontier movies...Carol
> appeared in both but both introduced Hal as though for the first time

> so it's not surprising that Star Sapphire hasn't come into it.

It's like the whole Green Lantern Corps mythology, not something they
would want in the movie series initially and maybe not in the first three
at all except for some references to it. I think they also need to avoid
the whole Emerald Dawn business like the plague and never go there.
Modern comic crap would kill the movie series. As with Spider-Man
and other Marvel stuff, it's the 60s Silver Age source that's by far the
best to stick to. Adapt and update that, but stay away from anything
uber-silly (or again adapt it in a way that works).

I think that's what they're doing based on the script review. They
basically use Legion as a prop to start the movie, it and Abin Sur
in a death battle that ends on Earth. So it starts with a bang and
as Abin Sur dies he has the ring search out a replacement and he
passes it on to Hal. Then the villain Hector Hammond, who seems
to be the Lex Luthor equivalent (but with powers, helped by a small
remnant of Legion that he uses).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Hammond

Hammond's been around since 1961, Carol Ferris and Abin Sur
and the origin story since 1959, Star Sapphire since 1962. So
again all Silver Age, and the crap 30 years later just gets picked
at for what's useable like Legion. Hopefully Warners' experience
with Watchmen, the supposed best of modern comics, and the
disastrous modern-comic-crap-based Supergirl characterization
in Smallville, and Marvel's better approach, has been enough to
convince Warners/DC that classic era story sources should rule.

TBerk

Dec 24, 2009, 11:15:02 PM12/24/09
On Dec 23, 9:52 pm, "KalElFan" <kalel...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
> "TBerk" <bayareab...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > I don't know what's wrong w/ the rest of you guys but based on
> > those photos; Eva Green for the win.
>
> It's a great photo but there's a bunch of them on IMDb and
> others not so much:
>
> http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1955305472/nm1200692
>
> Here's the gallery:
>
> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1200692/mediaindex

Is _that_ who that is? That's that Bond Girl!

Well, then, I remove my nomination on general principal.

berk
she's still kind of cute though...

Anim8rFSK

Dec 25, 2009, 2:54:12 AM12/25/09
In article
<c8db2d6e-c50e-49eb...@u36g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
TBerk <bayar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I don't know why you could find a 'before' pic that made Routh look
right for Superman, since Singer didn't manage to create any 'during'
shots where he did.

--
Tiger Woods has just been named "Athlete of the Decade"

grinningdemon

Dec 25, 2009, 11:31:07 PM12/25/09

It could definitely work for a sequel but probably not as the main
villian.

>> As far as I know, there are only two significant animated versions of
>> Hal Jordan...the GL: First Flight and JL: New Frontier movies...Carol
>> appeared in both but both introduced Hal as though for the first time
>> so it's not surprising that Star Sapphire hasn't come into it.
>
>It's like the whole Green Lantern Corps mythology, not something they
>would want in the movie series initially and maybe not in the first three
>at all except for some references to it. I think they also need to avoid
>the whole Emerald Dawn business like the plague and never go there.
>Modern comic crap would kill the movie series. As with Spider-Man
>and other Marvel stuff, it's the 60s Silver Age source that's by far the
>best to stick to. Adapt and update that, but stay away from anything
>uber-silly (or again adapt it in a way that works).

I'm gonna have to disagree on this...I think they should get the GLC
mythology in fairly early...not necessarily as a dominant plot point
(at least in the first movie) but, to do GL right, they need to get it
in there soon...and it should definitely be a dominant feature of any
sequel...the more recent Secret Origin update did away with Emerald
Dawn anyway...though I think I would leave the yellow weakness out of
it...unless they want to merge some elements from Kyle's origin and
have Hal's ring free of the yellow weakness to make him special and
set up the kind of "learn about the GLs as the character does"
approach they used when Kyle first showed up.

Duggy

Dec 27, 2009, 10:30:46 PM12/27/09
On Dec 25, 2:15 pm, TBerk <bayareab...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is _that_ who that is? That's that Bond Girl!
> Well, then, I remove my nomination on general principal.

She wouldn't be the first person to play a dead Bond girl and a Super-
hero's GF.

> she's still kind of cute though...

Have you seen The Dreamers?

===
= DUG.
===

Professor Bubba

Dec 27, 2009, 11:32:33 PM12/27/09
In article
<88299f61-665b-4886...@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

There are two cuts of that. You want the one that runs on IFC, not the
one that runs on Showtime.

The kitchen scene is different. You know what I mean.

Duggy

Dec 28, 2009, 9:35:05 PM12/28/09
On Dec 28, 4:32 am, Professor Bubba <bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid> wrote:
> There are two cuts of that. You want the one that runs on IFC, not the
> one that runs on Showtime.

> The kitchen scene is different. You know what I mean.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean in explicit detail.

===
= DUG.
===

plausible prose man

Dec 29, 2009, 9:21:51 AM12/29/09
On Dec 23, 8:29 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 7:19 am, TBerk <bayareab...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't know what's wrong w/ the rest of you guys but based on those
> > photos; Eva Green for the win.
>
> Based on specific photos is always a killer with these things.
>
> A single static shot can be chosen to look most like the character,
> but make-up, hair, costuming and, you know, acting can change a
> character who at first looks wrong right.
>
> The same as fan-casing based on other material... sometimes the fact
> that an actor has played a similar character before or always plays
> themselves and is similar will mean they will only a similar character
> never be exactly right,

Right, which is why Patrick Stewart was such a terrible Professor X
while Michael Keaton simply was Batman.

>while an actor who seems completely wrong but
> can act will be right.

This has never happened even one time.

> I'm sure we could find a lot of Brandon Routh pictures before Superman
> Returns that look like he'd be perfect for Superman.

Pretty much from when I started seeing them, I thought "he looks like
an underwear model" and "what a terrible costume."

Raymond Speer

Dec 31, 2009, 9:41:57 AM12/31/09

Let us go completely Hollywood rather than preserve any fidelity to the
comic at all.

Green Lantern will bear Guy Gardner's name but will have Alan Scott's
origin and acquire his ring in a train wreck in China. It will be like
the Fugitive, but the train crsh is in the first reel.

Gardner will wear the clamshell mask associated with Kyle and the effect
houses will be told to use the whole spectrum as colors for the effects.

Forget the origin off planet. Sinestro is going to some Arab-Iranian
desert dweller first seen worshipping a picture of bin Laden. He fights
with Guy Gardner, who dyes him forever red and that makes him giggly
crazy like the Joker!

The backstory is the seduction of Star Sahpire ---- Sapphire ---- oh,
hell with it: Starwoman. They don't recognize each other with their
masks on, but Starwoman is really Guy Gardner's boss, and they find in
love with each other's costumed ID but not their civilian ID. And there
is this cab driver who is romantic with a cosmic princess . . . . . .

Duggy

Jan 1, 2010, 11:07:11 PM1/1/10
On Jan 1, 12:41 am, rays...@webtv.net (Raymond Speer) wrote:
> Let us go completely Hollywood rather than preserve any fidelity to the
> comic at all.

Hollywood is doing that a lot less.

===
= DUG.