Let's list all comic book movies!

Hand-of-Omega

Feb 24, 2010, 7:28:44 AM2/24/10
How many can there be?^_~

The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?

I like that last one:

Swamp Thing
From Hell
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
V For Vendetta
Watchmen

Dex

Paragon

Feb 24, 2010, 8:24:23 AM2/24/10
I just watched Whiteout, which I understand was a graphic novel by Greg
Rucka.

"Hand-of-Omega" <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Eminence

Feb 24, 2010, 10:29:30 AM2/24/10
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:24:23 -0500, "Paragon" <cyb...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I just watched Whiteout, which I understand was a graphic novel by Greg
>Rucka.
>
>"Hand-of-Omega" <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> How many can there be?^_~
>>
>> The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
>> year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
>> movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?
>>
>> I like that last one:
>>
>> Swamp Thing
>> From Hell
>> League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
>> V For Vendetta
>> Watchmen
>>
>> Dex

30 Days of Night
Ghost World

Eminence
_______________
Usenet: Global Village of the Damned

Bill Steele

Feb 24, 2010, 3:48:37 PM2/24/10
In article <hm3977$ug5$1...@adenine.netfront.net>,
"Paragon" <cyb...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I just watched Whiteout, which I understand was a graphic novel by Greg
> Rucka.
>
> "Hand-of-Omega" <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How many can there be?^_~
> >
> > The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
> > year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
> > movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?
> >
> > I like that last one:
> >
> > Swamp Thing
> > From Hell
> > League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
> > V For Vendetta
> > Watchmen
> >
> > Dex

I think it would be interesting to compare eras., In the 40s we had
lots of serials. Nowadays we have lots of movies based on relatively
obscure (outside of fans) graphic novels and independent comics.

Do we count newspaper strips? (Flash Gordon, Terry and the Pirates,
Blondie)

Mike B

Feb 24, 2010, 4:07:20 PM2/24/10
Bill Steele wrote:
> Do we count newspaper strips? (Flash Gordon,
> Terry and the Pirates, Blondie)

You could make the argument they all
had their own comic titles, to include them.

<http://www.comics.org/series/501/>
<http://www.comics.org/series/13146/>

Anim8rFSK

Feb 24, 2010, 7:28:32 PM2/24/10
In article
<3292c80f-db73-4ee4...@z19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Hand-of-Omega <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Why not just go to the existing list on Wiki?

--
As Adam West as Bruce Wayne as Batman said in "Smack in the Middle"
the second half of the 1966 BATMAN series pilot when Jill St. John

Hand-of-Omega

Feb 24, 2010, 8:19:32 PM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 7:28 pm, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article
> <3292c80f-db73-4ee4-98e8-238055180...@z19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

>  Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > How many can there be?^_~
>
> > The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
> > year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
> > movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?
>
> > I like that last one:
>
> > Swamp Thing
> > From Hell
> > League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
> > V For Vendetta
> > Watchmen
>
> > Dex
>
> Why not just go to the existing list on Wiki?

Psst! Because it's more fun this way!

Actually, I've been promising myself to make a big speech the next
time someone referred me to a/the Wiki, so now's the time to do it, I
guess. Actually, Anim8r, usually folks do so in an almost rude manner,
and you didn't, so please don't take this as a personal grudge against
you...I'm really addressing a general concern.

YES, I am aware, as are we all, I think, that Wikis exist; I know how
to use them, and often do, and think they are very useful. They are
not, however, a suitable substitute for personal interaction with
others. Many of the ongoing threads on this and other NGs could have
been answered by consulting some online resource, which would further
decrease activity on Usenet. The logical conclusion is to simply
browse Wikis all day, and shut down the newsgroups entirely!

But that's not really why we're here, is it? Of course, asking "why
not consult Wikipedia?" is a perfectly valid question, and the best
answer I think I can give is, "Because it's more interesting to ask
living people to converse about the question". Sure, we all *could*
just go to the library for all our answers, but isn't it more
rewarding to talk to people, laymen as well as experts?

Another reason is that, as maligned as it often is, thread drift can
be very entertaining! Many conversations go off in unexpected
tangents, often leading to insights and facts that you likely never
would have discovered just looking up the topic. Hell, I'll be honest,
sometimes I even ask questions *I already know the answers to* just to
see where other people take the discussion (both on and off line)!^_^

So, THAT'S why I'm not consulting the Wiki, in this case. In fact, as
I think about this case, I realize that another good reason is simply
for the challenge of it: Looking up the answers isn't the same as
seeing how many I (and others) can name without a cheat-sheet!

Again, Anim8r, in case it needs repeating, no animosity to you...In
fact, Thanks, for bringing this up now, so that I could finally give
that speech (tho it was more eloquent in my mind...)! It's all in good
fun, so let's keep this place fun, ok?^__~

Dex

Michael

Feb 24, 2010, 10:54:08 PM2/24/10
Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> On Feb 24, 7:28 pm, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>In article
>><3292c80f-db73-4ee4-98e8-238055180...@z19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
>>

>> Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>How many can there be?^_~
>>
>>>The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
>>>year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
>>>movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?
>>
>>>I like that last one:
>>
>>>Swamp Thing
>>>From Hell
>>>League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
>>>V For Vendetta
>>>Watchmen
>>
>>>Dex
>>
>>Why not just go to the existing list on Wiki?
>>

> Psst! Because it's more fun this way!

Just offhand, keeping it only to movies that made it to the big screen
(and not including big screen movies that didn't make it and just went
right to DVD):

And I should add my list will likely be from the 70s on and probably
mostly Stuff Based on American books (unlike, say Danger: Diabolik)

>>>Swamp Thing

Return Of Swamp Thing

The Rocketeer
The Phantom
Superman
Superman 2
Superman 3
Superman 4: The Quest For Peace
Superman Returns
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Daredevil
Elektra
Blade
Blade 2
Blade Trinity
The Fantastic Four
The Fantastic Four 2: Something With The Silver Surfer
The Mask Of Zorro
The Legend Of Zorro
Catwoman
X-Men
X-Men 2
X-Men 3
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Hulk
The Incredble Hulk
Iron Man
Iron Man 2 (close enough to opening day I'd say)
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
The Punisher (Dolph's)
The Punisher
Punisher: War Zone

Michael (my name, not the movie)

Anim8rFSK

Feb 25, 2010, 12:55:55 AM2/25/10
In article <Ivmhn.143611$OX4.1...@newsfe25.iad>,
Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

> The Mask Of Zorro
> The Legend Of Zorro

Zorro books and movies predate any comic books by three decades. If
you're going to count anything as a comic book movie that had a comic
book based on it, then all those hundreds of Gold Key one shot movie
tie-ins retroactively make all tose movies comic book movies. I don't
think we want to go there. :)

Michael

Feb 25, 2010, 2:18:28 AM2/25/10
Anim8rFSK wrote:

> In article <Ivmhn.143611$OX4.1...@newsfe25.iad>,
> Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:
>

>>The Mask Of Zorro
>>The Legend Of Zorro
>

> Zorro books and movies predate any comic books by three decades. If
> you're going to count anything as a comic book movie that had a comic
> book based on it, then all those hundreds of Gold Key one shot movie
> tie-ins retroactively make all tose movies comic book movies. I don't
> think we want to go there. :)

I didn't know Zorro was a book first. And I figured comics preceeded
the movies as well, though I hadn't quite thought that through to get to
newspaper comic strips.

Are we counting newspaper-style comics as well?

If so then add Buck Rogers.

Oh, and Judge Dredd.

Michael

Wayne S Garmil

Feb 25, 2010, 1:09:55 PM2/25/10
>How many can there be?^_~
>
>The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
>year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
>movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?

How about super-hero (or super-hero-like) movies that were not first
comic books.

The ones that come to mind:

Darkman
Surge of Power
Ghostbusters
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

There has to be others that were movies first then made the jump to
other media. The key is that the movie was the original appearance of
the characters (so that leaves out characters that first came from
novels even if their movies were original stories).

Wayne

--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes; I have to turn

FSogol

Feb 25, 2010, 1:36:06 PM2/25/10
Wayne S Garmil wrote:
> In article
> <3292c80f-db73-4ee4...@z19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
> Hand-of-Omega <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> How many can there be?^_~
>>
>> The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically?
>> By year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator
>> (all movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?
>
> How about super-hero (or super-hero-like) movies that were not first
> comic books.
>
> The ones that come to mind:
>
> Darkman Surge of Power Ghostbusters Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Tarzan
Zorro
The Phantom
Dick Tracy
Buck Rodgers
Flash Gordon
Blondie (Dagwood's spouse, not the punk signer)
Toxic Avenger? Most Troma films.

> There has to be others that were movies first then made the jump to
> other media. The key is that the movie was the original appearance
> of the characters (so that leaves out characters that first came from
> novels even if their movies were original stories).

Anyone ever see the film "Space Avenger?" It came out in 1989 and has
been renamed Alien Space Avenger (according to IMDB). Parts of it were
filmed at Marvel's offices in NYC and had some of the bullpen guys in
it. It contained the 80's gratuitous toplessness and violence, but was
a good movie, iirc.

--
FSogol

Bill Steele

Feb 25, 2010, 3:36:37 PM2/25/10
In article <n_idnQCvJOWLXhvW...@cavtel.net>,
FSogol <FSo...@nospamplease.org> wrote:

> > How about super-hero (or super-hero-like) movies that were not first
> > comic books.
> >
> > The ones that come to mind:
> >
> > Darkman Surge of Power Ghostbusters Buffy the Vampire Slayer
> >

> Tarzan
> Zorro
> The Phantom
> Dick Tracy
> Buck Rodgers
> Flash Gordon
> Blondie (Dagwood's spouse, not the punk signer)
> Toxic Avenger? Most Troma films.

Fair to say these were all movies before they were comic books, but
Tarzan and Zorro were literary characters before they were movies. The
rest, except for Toxic Avenger, were newspaper comic strips before they
were movies.

We haven't gotten to radio yet. The Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain
Midnight started on radio but eventually moved to comics and movies.

Before someone brings up The Shadow, remember he started in the pulps.

YKW

Feb 25, 2010, 5:36:31 PM2/25/10
Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu> wrote in news:ws21-5EBA3B.15363725022010
@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu:

> Before someone brings up The Shadow, remember he started in the pulps.

Actually, he started in radio as a detective (and later romance)
narrator. The character became more popular than the magazines he was
supposed to be shilling for (potential customers were reported to have
asked in great quantities for "that Shadow magazine" rather than
DETECTIVE STORY), and the SHADOW pulp came into being to satisfy this
demand.

--
------------------- ------------------------------------------------
|| E-mail: ykw2006 ||"The mystery of government is not how Washington||

-- The One, 14 Oct 08

Anim8rFSK

Feb 25, 2010, 9:01:48 PM2/25/10
In article <9vphn.36385$K81....@newsfe18.iad>,
Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK wrote:
>
> > In article <Ivmhn.143611$OX4.1...@newsfe25.iad>,
> > Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:
> >

> >>The Mask Of Zorro
> >>The Legend Of Zorro
> >

> > Zorro books and movies predate any comic books by three decades. If
> > you're going to count anything as a comic book movie that had a comic
> > book based on it, then all those hundreds of Gold Key one shot movie
> > tie-ins retroactively make all tose movies comic book movies. I don't
> > think we want to go there. :)
>
> I didn't know Zorro was a book first. And I figured comics preceeded
> the movies as well, though I hadn't quite thought that through to get to
> newspaper comic strips.

First The Curse of Capistrano in print in 1919, then The Mark of Zorro
on film within the year. Then dozens of more print versions, and a
handful of movies, before Alex Toth did the first comic in 1939.

> Are we counting newspaper-style comics as well?
>
> If so then add Buck Rogers.

And Flash Gordon!

Michael

Feb 25, 2010, 10:04:02 PM2/25/10
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <9vphn.36385$K81....@newsfe18.iad>,
> Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:
>

>>Anim8rFSK wrote:

>>>Zorro books and movies predate any comic books by three decades. If
>>>you're going to count anything as a comic book movie that had a comic
>>>book based on it, then all those hundreds of Gold Key one shot movie
>>>tie-ins retroactively make all tose movies comic book movies. I don't
>>>think we want to go there. :)
>>
>>I didn't know Zorro was a book first. And I figured comics preceeded
>>the movies as well, though I hadn't quite thought that through to get to
>>newspaper comic strips.
>

> First The Curse of Capistrano in print in 1919, then The Mark of Zorro
> on film within the year. Then dozens of more print versions, and a
> handful of movies, before Alex Toth did the first comic in 1939.

So it preceeded newspaper comic strips as well?

>>Are we counting newspaper-style comics as well?
>>
>>If so then add Buck Rogers.
>

> And Flash Gordon!

Shame on me for forgtting that!

Michael

FSogol

Feb 26, 2010, 8:32:26 AM2/26/10
Anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <9vphn.36385$K81....@newsfe18.iad>,
> Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:
>
>> Anim8rFSK wrote:

>>> Zorro books and movies predate any comic books by three decades. If
>>> you're going to count anything as a comic book movie that had a comic
>>> book based on it, then all those hundreds of Gold Key one shot movie
>>> tie-ins retroactively make all tose movies comic book movies. I don't
>>> think we want to go there. :)
>> I didn't know Zorro was a book first. And I figured comics preceeded
>> the movies as well, though I hadn't quite thought that through to get to
>> newspaper comic strips.

Based on Alexandre Dumas' Three Musketeers?

--
FSogol

Anim8rFSK

Feb 26, 2010, 1:08:28 PM2/26/10
In article <DSGhn.32963$e%2.2...@newsfe08.iad>,
Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <9vphn.36385$K81....@newsfe18.iad>,
> > Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

> >>I didn't know Zorro was a book first. And I figured comics preceeded
> >>the movies as well, though I hadn't quite thought that through to get to
> >>newspaper comic strips.
> >

> > First The Curse of Capistrano in print in 1919, then The Mark of Zorro
> > on film within the year. Then dozens of more print versions, and a
> > handful of movies, before Alex Toth did the first comic in 1939.
>
> So it preceeded newspaper comic strips as well?

Yes, Zorro existed in book and movie form for 30 years before Alex Toth
illustrated a comic for a magazine. IIRC no Zorro newspaper strip ran
before the 1990s.

whoswhoz

Feb 26, 2010, 7:26:16 PM2/26/10
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:32:26 -0500, FSogol <FSo...@nospamplease.org>
wrote:

>Anim8rFSK wrote:
>> In article <9vphn.36385$K81....@newsfe18.iad>,
>> Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

>>> I didn't know Zorro was a book first. And I figured comics preceeded
>>> the movies as well, though I hadn't quite thought that through to get to
>>> newspaper comic strips.
>
>Based on Alexandre Dumas' Three Musketeers?

Bill Ely did the first Zorro comic book way back in 1949. Long before
Disney.

Can't think what the Three Musketeers has to do with it. Robin Hood
would have a greater resemblance.

Anim8rFSK

Feb 26, 2010, 7:35:31 PM2/26/10
In article <nipgo55pqdn6c4g94...@4ax.com>,
whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

Nope. Alex Toth, 1939.

> Can't think what the Three Musketeers has to do with it. Robin Hood
> would have a greater resemblance.

whoswhoz

Feb 27, 2010, 8:25:37 AM2/27/10
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:35:31 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

>> Bill Ely did the first Zorro comic book way back in 1949. Long before
>> Disney.
>
>Nope. Alex Toth, 1939.

In 1939 Alex Toth was 11 years old.

whoswhoz

Feb 27, 2010, 8:34:12 AM2/27/10
Sticking to movies based on comic books, not strips, and not the other
way around these are the ones I remember off the top of my head from
the days of the serials

Superman (2)
Batman (2)
Hop Harrigan
Vigilante
Congo Bill
Blackhawk
Captain Marvel
Spy Smasher
Masked Marvel
Captain America
Sheena (TV series)

Tim Turnip

Feb 27, 2010, 1:59:00 PM2/27/10
Some I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Batman (1966)
Captain America (CBS, two made-for-TV movies, 1979)
Dr. Strange (made-for-TV movie, 1978)
The Incredible Hulk (CBS, made-for-TV movie, 1977)
Return of the Hulk (CBS, made-for-TV movie, 1977)
Supergirl (1984)
Howard the Duck (1986)
The Return of the Incredible Hulk (NBC, made-for-TV movie, 1988)
The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (NBC, made-for-TV movie, 1989)
The Death of the Incredible Hulk (NBC, made-for-TV movie, 1990)
Captain America (1990)
The Fantastic Four (1993) (unreleased)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (The Animated Movie) (1993)
The Crow (1994)
The Mask (1994)
Road To Perdition (2002)
American Splendor (2003)
Hellboy (2004)
Constantine (2005)
Sin City (2005)
Son of the Mask (2005)
A History of Violence (2005)
300 (2007)
Persepolis (2007)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)
The Spirit (2009)

Anim8rFSK

Feb 27, 2010, 5:10:40 PM2/27/10
In article <c97io5d5kevh0jptf...@4ax.com>,
whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

Yeah, I booted the year; Alex Toth, 19*4*9. I got it right in the first
place when I said it was 30 years after 1919.

OM

Feb 27, 2010, 7:45:36 PM2/27/10
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:26:16 -0500, whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Can't think what the Three Musketeers has to do with it. Robin Hood
>would have a greater resemblance.

...Zorro was a synthesis of both. Behavior of Robin Hood, appearance
of a Musketeer, and the honor of both.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

Duggy

Mar 1, 2010, 1:27:35 AM3/1/10
On Feb 24, 10:28 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How many can there be?^_~

> The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
> year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
> movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?

> I like that last one:

"By the creator" is the hardest.

Ignoring any conflict over the act of creation (eg Bob Kane's Batman),
it is generally accepted that comic book characters are created by a
writer and an artist... in cases where that's not the same person what
do you do.

> Swamp Thing

Created by someone else, refined by Alan Moore... see, creator is
"tricky".

> From Hell
> League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
> V For Vendetta
> Watchmen

And define comic book? Do comic strips count? What about picture
story books done by people closely associated with comics?

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Mar 1, 2010, 1:28:55 AM3/1/10
On Feb 25, 7:07 am, Mike B <M1...@yahoo.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
> Bill Steele wrote:
> > Do we count newspaper strips? (Flash Gordon,
> > Terry and the Pirates, Blondie)
>
> You could make the argument they all
> had their own comic titles, to include them.

A lot of things had comic titles that didn't start in comic books.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Mar 1, 2010, 1:29:53 AM3/1/10
On Feb 25, 11:19 am, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> YES, I am aware, as are we all, I think, that Wikis exist; I know how
> to use them, and often do, and think they are very useful. They are
> not, however, a suitable substitute for personal interaction with
> others.

Neither is usenet.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Mar 1, 2010, 1:31:37 AM3/1/10
On Feb 25, 5:18 pm, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> Are we counting newspaper-style comics as well?

> If so then add Buck Rogers.

Buck Rogers appeared in a novel as Anthony Rogers before appearing in
comic strips.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Mar 1, 2010, 1:35:25 AM3/1/10
On Feb 28, 4:59 am, Tim Turnip <timtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Crow (1994)

And sequels.

===
= DUG.
===

whoswhoz

Mar 1, 2010, 7:48:13 AM3/1/10
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:10:40 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <c97io5d5kevh0jptf...@4ax.com>,
> whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >Nope. Alex Toth, 1939.
>>
>> In 1939 Alex Toth was 11 years old.
>> >>

>Yeah, I booted the year; Alex Toth, 19*4*9. I got it right in the first
>place when I said it was 30 years after 1919.

It's still by Bill Ely though.

FSogol

Mar 1, 2010, 8:51:10 AM3/1/10

Tank Girl
Ghostworld
Men in Black

--
FSogol

Anim8rFSK

Mar 1, 2010, 11:19:31 AM3/1/10
In article <0sdno51poi35j2023...@4ax.com>,
whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:10:40 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <c97io5d5kevh0jptf...@4ax.com>,
> > whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> In 1939 Alex Toth was 11 years old.
> >> >>

> >Yeah, I booted the year; Alex Toth, 19*4*9. I got it right in the first
> >place when I said it was 30 years after 1919.
>
> It's still by Bill Ely though.

Okay, Wiki says Toth. Got a cite for Ely?

Eminence

Mar 1, 2010, 12:18:31 PM3/1/10

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- what?!?

Now I have to rethink my entire social paradigm.

Eminence
_______________
Usenet: Global Village of the Damned

Anim8rFSK

Mar 1, 2010, 2:52:53 PM3/1/10
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-82B97...@news.dc1.easynews.com>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <0sdno51poi35j2023...@4ax.com>,
> whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:10:40 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
> > wrote:

> > >Yeah, I booted the year; Alex Toth, 19*4*9. I got it right in the first
> > >place when I said it was 30 years after 1919.
> >
> > It's still by Bill Ely though.
>
> Okay, Wiki says Toth. Got a cite for Ely?

Best I can find is that Ely may have done the first Zorro comic cover.
Can't find a mention of the interior art. I've written to Bill Cotter,
Zorro scholar extraordinaire, to see if he can shed some light on this.

Bill Steele

Mar 1, 2010, 3:14:11 PM3/1/10
In article <Xns9D2A9EC892874...@69.16.185.250>,
YKW <FluffyM...@foxnews.com> wrote:

> Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu> wrote in news:ws21-5EBA3B.15363725022010
> @newsstand.cit.cornell.edu:
>
> > Before someone brings up The Shadow, remember he started in the pulps.
> >

> Actually, he started in radio as a detective (and later romance)
> narrator. The character became more popular than the magazines he was
> supposed to be shilling for (potential customers were reported to have
> asked in great quantities for "that Shadow magazine" rather than
> DETECTIVE STORY), and the SHADOW pulp came into being to satisfy this
> demand.

True, but the early radio narrator wasn't the Shadow that we now know.
That character was created for the pulps when the editor told Walter
Gibson they wanted stories to tie in with the radio show. Eventually it
came full circle as a new radio show evolved, loosely based on the pulp
character.

Bill Steele

Mar 1, 2010, 3:20:59 PM3/1/10
In article <64fjo5hbhii82ak1j...@4ax.com>,
OM <om@all_trolls_must_DIE.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:26:16 -0500, whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Can't think what the Three Musketeers has to do with it. Robin Hood
> >would have a greater resemblance.
>
> ...Zorro was a synthesis of both. Behavior of Robin Hood, appearance
> of a Musketeer, and the honor of both.

Could just as well trace Zorro to Scaramouche.

Bill Steele

Mar 1, 2010, 3:36:23 PM3/1/10
In article <og7io5170mo6qfv9n...@4ax.com>,
whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

The Masked Marvel was created for the serial, not based on any comic
book.

Not sure what Vigilante you're talking about; Maybe the Republic serial
"The Vigilantes Are Coming?" In any case, no movie or serial was ever
based on the DC comics Vigilante, a present-day character riding a
motorcycle rather than a horse.

Bill Steele

Mar 1, 2010, 3:49:21 PM3/1/10
Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

> >>Are we counting newspaper-style comics as well?
> >>
> >>If so then add Buck Rogers.
> >

> > And Flash Gordon!
>
> Shame on me for forgtting that!

And
Prince Valiant
Secret Agent X9
Li'l Abner
Orphan Annie
Jungle Jim
Terry and the Pirates
Smilin' Jack
Tailspin Tommy
Bringing Up Father (Jiggs and Maggie)

I think we've been through a lot of those already.

Hand-of-Omega

Mar 2, 2010, 7:22:45 AM3/2/10
Usenet communication, like E-mail, snail mail, instant messaging, and
telephone conversations, IS personal interaction. You and I are
personally interacting right now.

"Personal interaction" does not automatically mean "Face-to-face". If
it *did*, however, then I would agree with you!^^

Dex

Hand-of-Omega

Mar 2, 2010, 7:23:43 AM3/2/10
ISTR that either Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon was created to compete
with the other. Who came first? And has anyone ever succeeded in
creating the obvious crossover story?

Dex

Hand-of-Omega

Mar 2, 2010, 7:29:14 AM3/2/10
On Mar 1, 1:27 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Feb 24, 10:28 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How many can there be?^_~
> > The only thing I'm not sure is how to arrange them: Alphabetically? By
> > year? By character (all the Superman movies, for ex)? By creator (all
> > movies based on Alan Moore's works, for ex)?
> > I like that last one:
>
> "By the creator" is the hardest.

Maybe! That's just how I arrange my DVDs sometimes...("here's all the
Frank Miller stuff, there's all the Neil Gaiman stuff...")

> Ignoring any conflict over the act of creation (eg Bob Kane's Batman),
> it is generally accepted that comic book characters are created by a
> writer and an artist... in cases where that's not the same person what
> do you do.

Is there a movie/s where that's likely to be a real problem?

> > Swamp Thing
>
> Created by someone else, refined by Alan Moore... see, creator is
> "tricky".

Are there any movies based on Len Wein's work?

> > From Hell
> > League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
> > V For Vendetta
> > Watchmen

Can't believe I forgot "Constantine"! Which, as you'll point out,
Moore never actually wrote, to my knowledge, but creating the
character is enough for me...

> And define comic book?  Do comic strips count?  What about picture
> story books done by people closely associated with comics?

Are there any?

For further definition: Doesn't have to be Superheroes. Comic Books
only, no comic strips (tho a separate list for those is fine, I'm
learning a few new things in this thread). Characters do not need to
have originated in comic books, however: For ex, The Shadow is fine,
even tho comic books are about the *last* media the character showed
up in...

Dex

whoswhoz

Mar 2, 2010, 7:43:54 AM3/2/10
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:19:31 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <0sdno51poi35j2023...@4ax.com>,
> whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:10:40 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>> >Yeah, I booted the year; Alex Toth, 19*4*9. I got it right in the first
>> >place when I said it was 30 years after 1919.
>>
>> It's still by Bill Ely though.
>
>Okay, Wiki says Toth. Got a cite for Ely?

http://www.comics.org/issue/7369/

Four Color #228
(May 1949)
Dell, 1942 Series

Price:
0.10 USD
Pages:
36
Editing:
?

Indicia Publisher:
Dell Publishing Co., Inc.
Brand:
A Dell Comic

Zorro / cover / 2 pages (report information)
Credits

Pencils:
Bill Ely (signed)
Inks:
Bill Ely (signed)
Colors:
?

Content Information

Genre:
period; adventure
Characters:
Zorro; Don Carlos Pulido; Lolita Pulido; Captain Ramon; Sgt.
Gonzalez

Indexer Notes

Wraparound cover. Signed "Bill Ely" on back cover.
[Characters in the Story] (Table of Contents)
Zorro / foreword, introduction, preface, afterword / 2 pages (report
information)
Credits

Script:
?
Pencils:
Bill Ely
Inks:
Bill Ely
Letters:
?

Content Information

Characters:
Zorro; Don Diego Vega; Lolita Pulido; Dona Catalina Pulido; Don
Carlos Pulido; Captain Ramon; Don Alejandro Vega; Tray Felipe; Sgt.
Gonzales
Synopsis:
Headshots of the characters in the story.

Indexer Notes

Inside front cover and inside back cover; black and white. Pencils and
inks credits for this sequence from Alberto Becattini (May 14, 2007).
The Mark Of Zorro (Table of Contents)
Zorro / story / 32 pages (report information)
Credits

Script:
Johnston McCully (original story); ? (comic adaptation)
Pencils:
Bill Ely (signed)
Inks:
Bill Ely (signed)
Colors:
?
Letters:
?

Content Information

Genre:
period; adventure
Characters:
Zorro; Don Diego Vega; Lolita Pulido; Dona Catalina Pulido; Don
Carlos Pulido; Captain Ramon; Don Alejandro Vega; Tray Felipe; Sgt.
Gonzales.
Synopsis:
Captain Ramon seeks the hand of the lovely Lolita Pulido. The
senorita's parents wish her to marry Don Diego Vega, but she finds him
dull. Don Diego, as Zorro, tries to get the senorita and her parents
to help him fight the corrupt governor, but her father calls for the
soldiers. Lolita is infatuated with Zorro, who has to protect her from
Captain Ramon's unwanted advances. Ramon convinces the Governor to
jail Lolita and her family. Zorro then organizes a party to free the
Pulidos from jail.

Indexer Notes

Adapted from the 1924 novel "The Mark of Zorro" by Johnston McCulley.
Signed "Bill Ely" on first and last pages of the story.

whoswhoz

Mar 2, 2010, 7:51:14 AM3/2/10
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 15:36:23 -0500, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

>In article <og7io5170mo6qfv9n...@4ax.com>,
> whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Sticking to movies based on comic books, not strips, and not the other
>> way around these are the ones I remember off the top of my head from
>> the days of the serials
>>
>> Superman (2)
>> Batman (2)
>> Hop Harrigan
>> Vigilante
>> Congo Bill
>> Blackhawk
>> Captain Marvel
>> Spy Smasher
>> Masked Marvel
>> Captain America
>> Sheena (TV series)
>
>The Masked Marvel was created for the serial, not based on any comic
>book.

The Masked Marvel appeared in Keen Detective Funnies starting in v2#7
in July 1939. The Masked Marvel serial came out in 1943.

>Not sure what Vigilante you're talking about; Maybe the Republic serial
>"The Vigilantes Are Coming?" In any case, no movie or serial was ever
>based on the DC comics Vigilante, a present-day character riding a
>motorcycle rather than a horse.

http://allmovie.com/work/the-vigilante-136960

The Vigilante

Year

1947

Feature
Director
Wallace W. Fox
AMG Work ID

V 136960

Plot Synopsis by Hans J. Wollstein

Based on an adventure feature in Action Comics, this 15 chapter serial
starred the erstwhile Dick Tracy, Ralph Byrd, as the title character,
a Western movie star going undercover to investigate the disappearance
of a string of pearls known as the "100 Tears of Blood." As it turns
out, the pearls have been concealed in the hooves of five horses
belonging to the secret gang leader X-1 (Lyle Talbot), aka ranch owner
George Pierce. With the help of lovely Betty Winslow (Ramsay Ames) and
visiting potentate Prince Amil (Robert Barron), "The Vigilante"
manages to defeat the evil X-1 in the serial's final chapter, "The
Secret of the Skyroom." The Vigilante was produced with his eyes
firmly on every dollar spent by legendary cheapskate Sam Katzman.

Anim8rFSK

Mar 2, 2010, 11:42:27 AM3/2/10
In article
<bec665a4-18ac-44e1...@g7g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Hand-of-Omega <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Buck is first (1928 in book form, 1929 in comic form) and Flash was
created to compete with him (1934 comic form).

No crossovers that I know of, and nobody has ever managed to make the
obvious Buck porn film either, despite it being announced a couple of
times, probably because there'd be no way to advertise it.

Bill Steele

Mar 2, 2010, 2:57:56 PM3/2/10
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-8272B...@news.dc1.easynews.com>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> > > Buck Rogers appeared in a novel as Anthony Rogers before appearing in
> > > comic strips.
> > >
> > ISTR that either Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon was created to compete
> > with the other. Who came first? And has anyone ever succeeded in
> > creating the obvious crossover story?
> >
> > Dex
>
> Buck is first (1928 in book form, 1929 in comic form) and Flash was
> created to compete with him (1934 comic form).
>
> No crossovers that I know of, and nobody has ever managed to make the
> obvious Buck porn film either, despite it being announced a couple of
> times, probably because there'd be no way to advertise it.

Flash lends itself to porn, with the conniving women and evil dictator.
Buck was about war and feminism. *Major* Wilma Deering, back in 1929!

I suppose you could do some femdom stuff...

Bill Steele

Mar 2, 2010, 3:11:49 PM3/2/10
In article <o62qo5513g7pu3vct...@4ax.com>,
whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >The Masked Marvel was created for the serial, not based on any comic
> >book.
> The Masked Marvel appeared in Keen Detective Funnies starting in v2#7
> in July 1939. The Masked Marvel serial came out in 1943.

Was that really the same Masked Marvel? Not exactly an uncommon term.
The serial doesn't credit any source.

I had to look this one up. Turns out the Vigilante actually did spend
some brief time in the west before settling into his motorcycle-riding
life in New York. Before my time I guess. Typical of serial makers,
though, to ignore the essence of the comic. They probably used a script
they already had lying around.

But yes, it qualifies for the list as long as they claim the connection.

OM

Mar 2, 2010, 5:37:17 PM3/2/10
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 09:42:27 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

>No crossovers that I know of, and nobody has ever managed to make the
>obvious Buck porn film either, despite it being announced a couple of
>times, probably because there'd be no way to advertise it.

...Not for a theatrical film, but the pr0n industry abandoned theaters
in the early 80's with the advent of the home videotape market. So a
"Fuck Rogers" pr0n film is not beyond the realm of doubt with that as
a title. I mean, seriously, with titles like "Anal Gapehole Orgyfest",
"Stretch My Cunt #23", "Rhoid Scrapers" and "Blackmystecranger's
Catamite Diaries", a title like "Fuck Rogers in the 69th Century"
would be almost G-rated by comparison.

whoswhoz

Mar 2, 2010, 6:16:31 PM3/2/10
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 15:11:49 -0500, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

>In article <o62qo5513g7pu3vct...@4ax.com>,

> whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> >The Masked Marvel was created for the serial, not based on any comic
>> >book.
>> The Masked Marvel appeared in Keen Detective Funnies starting in v2#7
>> in July 1939. The Masked Marvel serial came out in 1943.
>
>Was that really the same Masked Marvel? Not exactly an uncommon term.
>The serial doesn't credit any source.

Darned if I know, but it would have been violation of copyright if
they didn't pay the owner off. And that probably wouldn't have cost
much. Martin Goodman famously gave away the rights to Captain America
for nothing.

Bill Steele

Mar 4, 2010, 3:25:11 PM3/4/10
In article <rv6ro5h837u9i59q6...@4ax.com>,
whoswhoz <bobah...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 15:11:49 -0500, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
> wrote:

> >> The Masked Marvel appeared in Keen Detective Funnies starting in v2#7
> >> in July 1939. The Masked Marvel serial came out in 1943.
> >
> >Was that really the same Masked Marvel? Not exactly an uncommon term.
> >The serial doesn't credit any source.
> >>

> Darned if I know, but it would have been violation of copyright if
> they didn't pay the owner off.

Only if the publisher of the comic had registered the name as a
trademark. And even then it might be hard to defend in court.

IMDB lists comedy shorts with the title in 1916 ands 1924, and there
must have been dozens of wrestlers who used the name, so claiming
ownership would be like claiming the title "The Big Boss" or "Hot
Tamale."

Duggy

Mar 5, 2010, 1:17:06 AM3/5/10
On Mar 2, 10:22 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You and I are personally interacting right now.

Now or three days ago?

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Mar 5, 2010, 1:22:26 AM3/5/10
On Mar 2, 10:23 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 1:31 am,Duggy<Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:> On Feb 25, 5:18 pm, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> > > Are we counting newspaper-style comics as well?
> > > If so then add Buck Rogers.
> > Buck Rogers appeared in a novel as Anthony Rogers before appearing in
> > comic strips.

> ISTR that either Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon was created to compete
> with the other. Who came first?

Wikipedia has a uncited line in FG's page: "The strip was inspired by
and created to compete with the already established Buck Rogers
adventure strip."

> And has anyone ever succeeded in
> creating the obvious crossover story?

Well, it would have to involve travel through time & space.

I was just thinking the other day of a "League of Extraordinary
Spacemen" with Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Dan Dare & Adam Strange
maybe throw in Jonny/Jonni Future... however there is too much similar
about them.

A Flash/Buck story may work... but which version of each and whose
time, whose planet?

Mongo in the 25th Century may be the best answer...

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Mar 5, 2010, 1:33:16 AM3/5/10
On Mar 2, 10:29 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Ignoring any conflict over the act of creation (eg Bob Kane's Batman),
> > it is generally accepted that comic book characters are created by a
> > writer and an artist... in cases where that's not the same person what
> > do you do.
> Is there a movie/s where that's likely to be a real problem?

Probably not. Especially if you focus on the writer not the artist.

> > > Swamp Thing
> > Created by someone else, refined by Alan Moore... see, creator is
> > "tricky".
> Are there any movies based on Len Wein's work?

Can I suggested both of the Swamp Thing films and the Swamp Thing
series?

"based on the work of" gets more difficult... Batman Begins seems to
be based loosely on the work of Frank Miller, The Dark Knight on the
work of Alan Moore... but that's more opinion than fact... and we'd be
splitting a series of Batman films.

> > > From Hell
> > > League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
> > > V For Vendetta
> > > Watchmen
> Can't believe I forgot "Constantine"! Which, as you'll point out,
> Moore never actually wrote, to my knowledge, but creating the
> character is enough for me...

So... Len created Swamp Thing but you list it as Alan Moore because he
was the main writer...
But Alan created Constantine, but he wasn't the writer of Hellblazer
you're listing Alan Moore...

> > And define comic book? Do comic strips count? What about picture
> > story books done by people closely associated with comics?
> Are there any?

Stardust.

> For further definition: Doesn't have to be Superheroes. Comic Books
> only, no comic strips (tho a separate list for those is fine, I'm
> learning a few new things in this thread). Characters do not need to
> have originated in comic books, however: For ex, The Shadow is fine,
> even tho comic books are about the *last* media the character showed
> up in...

James Bond has appeared in comics. Star Trek. Loads of things...
where do we draw that particular line?

===
= DUG.
===

whoswhoz

Mar 5, 2010, 5:48:48 AM3/5/10

Time Travel!

Hand-of-Omega

Mar 8, 2010, 7:17:24 AM3/8/10
On Mar 5, 5:48 am, whoswhoz <bobahug...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:17:06 -0800 (PST), Duggy

> >On Mar 2, 10:22 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> You and I are personally interacting right now.
>
> >Now or three days ago?
>
> Time Travel!

Whenever you are, it's always Now...^_~

Dex

Hand-of-Omega

Mar 8, 2010, 7:25:14 AM3/8/10
On Mar 5, 1:33 am, Duggy <p.allan.dug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 10:29 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Ignoring any conflict over the act of creation (eg Bob Kane's Batman),
> > > it is generally accepted that comic book characters are created by a
> > > writer and an artist... in cases where that's not the same person what
> > > do you do.
> > Is there a movie/s where that's likely to be a real problem?
>
> Probably not.  Especially if you focus on the writer not the artist.

Which is how I tend to view things. Which got me in a little trouble
on the animation front a while ago...

> > > Created by someone else, refined by Alan Moore... see, creator is
> > > "tricky".
> > Are there any movies based on Len Wein's work?
>
> Can I suggested both of the Swamp Thing films and the Swamp Thing
> series?

Well, tv series aren't movies, but...was it based more on Wein's work
or Moore's, or both? I never saw it.
Both list both movies, sure (I didn't even know there was a second
one)!

> "based on the work of" gets more difficult... Batman Begins seems to
> be based loosely on the work of Frank Miller, The Dark Knight on the
> work of Alan Moore... but that's more opinion than fact... and we'd be
> splitting a series of Batman films.

Right. In most cases this wouldn't matter, but both Moore and Miller
have a few movies between them, so...

> > Can't believe I forgot "Constantine"! Which, as you'll point out,
> > Moore never actually wrote, to my knowledge, but creating the
> > character is enough for me...
>
> So... Len created Swamp Thing but you list it as Alan Moore because he
> was the main writer...
> But Alan created Constantine, but he wasn't the writer of Hellblazer
> you're listing Alan Moore...

Good points! What can I say, it's just the association that I make.
Did any other writer on Hellblazer do any material that was made into
movies?

> > > And define comic book?  Do comic strips count?  What about picture
> > > story books done by people closely associated with comics?
> > Are there any?
>
> Stardust.

IIRC (and I may not), the comic book and the illustrated trade novel
were released simultaneously, with the paperback novel coming out a
little later. Even if that's wrong, I wouldn't call that a "picture
story book" (like The Wolves in the Walls), so much as an illustrated
novel, tho your point still stands. This one may be a reason why doing
it by creator is a good idea after all, to avoid this sort of
exclusion...

> > For further definition: Doesn't have to be Superheroes. Comic Books
> > only, no comic strips (tho a separate list for those is fine, I'm
> > learning a few new things in this thread). Characters do not need to
> > have originated in comic books, however: For ex, The Shadow is fine,
> > even tho comic books are about the *last* media the character showed
> > up in...
>
> James Bond has appeared in comics.  Star Trek.  Loads of things...
> where do we draw that particular line?

Yeah, maybe that line is too loose. Let's see, how about...The
*majority* of the subject's appearances have to be in comic books,
even if they didn't originate there?

Dex

Bill Steele

Mar 8, 2010, 4:45:07 PM3/8/10
In article
<174fc928-e04a-4a12...@a10g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Duggy <p.allan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Characters do not need to
> > have originated in comic books, however: For ex, The Shadow is fine,
> > even tho comic books are about the *last* media the character showed
> > up in...

I would propose that the rule be exactly the opposite. We probably
should have separate lists based on point of oriogin only: E.g., comic
books, comic strips, radio, prose (novels or short stories--at least
those with some degree of fantasy; no point getting into every novel
ever made into a movie. Should pulps be a separate category?)

Bill Steele

Mar 8, 2010, 4:52:43 PM3/8/10
In article
<0121d06f-22f7-4e71...@a10g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Duggy <p.allan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Then the time-travel scenario would also have to bring in Killer Kane to
collaborate with Ming. Or Ming XXV?

If we invoke some sort of Number of the Beast protocol, throw in Kimball
Kinnison., Luke Skywalker and of course James T. Kirk.

And think of the villainous possibilities: Ming is revealed as a front
for the Eddorians, who operate out of the Q continuum...

Duggy

Mar 8, 2010, 10:47:14 PM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 10:25 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Can I suggested both of the Swamp Thing films and the Swamp Thing
> > series?
> Well, tv series aren't movies, but...was it based more on Wein's work
> or Moore's, or both? I never saw it.
> Both list both movies, sure (I didn't even know there was a second
> one)!

I saw one but I can barely remember it... every synopsis I read talks
about Alec being Swamp Thing.

> > "based on the work of" gets more difficult... Batman Begins seems to
> > be based loosely on the work of Frank Miller, The Dark Knight on the
> > work of Alan Moore... but that's more opinion than fact... and we'd be
> > splitting a series of Batman films.
> Right. In most cases this wouldn't matter, but both Moore and Miller
> have a few movies between them, so...

So...?

> > So... Len created Swamp Thing but you list it as Alan Moore because he
> > was the main writer...
> > But Alan created Constantine, but he wasn't the writer of Hellblazer
> > you're listing Alan Moore...
> Good points! What can I say, it's just the association that I make.
> Did any other writer on Hellblazer do any material that was made into
> movies?

Dunno. Dunno Hellblazer well enough to comment.

> > Stardust.
> IIRC (and I may not), the comic book and the illustrated trade novel
> were released simultaneously, with the paperback novel coming out a
> little later. Even if that's wrong, I wouldn't call that a "picture
> story book" (like The Wolves in the Walls), so much as an illustrated
> novel, tho your point still stands. This one may be a reason why doing
> it by creator is a good idea after all, to avoid this sort of
> exclusion...

My understanding is the illustrated novel (I accept Storybook is too
far) came out before the comic. But I can't back this up.

> Yeah, maybe that line is too loose. Let's see, how about...The
> *majority* of the subject's appearances have to be in comic books,
> even if they didn't originate there?

OK... but define "majority" someone is gunna fight you over something.

How many issues of a comic is worth a movie?

Marvel and Dark Horse most be getting close to 1000 Star Wars
comics... surely that's the majority of Star Wars stuff...?

===
= DUG.
===

Unknown

Mar 9, 2010, 11:30:13 AM3/9/10

On Mar 5, 1:33 am, Duggy <p.allan.dug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 10:29 pm, Hand-of-Omega <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Ignoring any conflict over the act of creation (eg Bob Kane's Batman),
> > > it is generally accepted that comic book characters are created by a
> > > writer and an artist... in cases where that's not the same person what
> > > do you do.
> > Is there a movie/s where that's likely to be a real problem?
>
> Probably not. Especially if you focus on the writer not the artist.

Which is how I tend to view things. Which got me in a little trouble
on the animation front a while ago...

> > > Created by someone else, refined by Alan Moore... see, creator is
> > > "tricky".
> > Are there any movies based on Len Wein's work?
>
> Can I suggested both of the Swamp Thing films and the Swamp Thing
> series?

Well, tv series aren't movies, but...was it based more on Wein's work
or Moore's, or both? I never saw it.
Both list both movies, sure (I didn't even know there was a second
one)!

The original Swamp Thing movie was based on the original concept by Wein.
(That ST was a transformed Alec Holland.) Though I haven't seen anything
since the first movie, from what I've heard, later works were based on Moore
reimagining of the concept.

> "based on the work of" gets more difficult... Batman Begins seems to
> be based loosely on the work of Frank Miller, The Dark Knight on the
> work of Alan Moore... but that's more opinion than fact... and we'd be
> splitting a series of Batman films.

Right. In most cases this wouldn't matter, but both Moore and Miller
have a few movies between them, so...

> > Can't believe I forgot "Constantine"! Which, as you'll point out,
> > Moore never actually wrote, to my knowledge, but creating the
> > character is enough for me...
>
> So... Len created Swamp Thing but you list it as Alan Moore because he
> was the main writer...
> But Alan created Constantine, but he wasn't the writer of Hellblazer
> you're listing Alan Moore...

Good points! What can I say, it's just the association that I make.
Did any other writer on Hellblazer do any material that was made into
movies?

IIRC, the Constantine movie's main storyline (Constantine having cancer -
having to trick the Devil to stay alive) was based on Jamie Delano's work on
the comic. I don't know of any other movies based on Delano's work.

> > > And define comic book? Do comic strips count? What about picture
> > > story books done by people closely associated with comics?
> > Are there any?
>
> Stardust.

IIRC (and I may not), the comic book and the illustrated trade novel
were released simultaneously, with the paperback novel coming out a
little later. Even if that's wrong, I wouldn't call that a "picture
story book" (like The Wolves in the Walls), so much as an illustrated
novel, tho your point still stands. This one may be a reason why doing
it by creator is a good idea after all, to avoid this sort of
exclusion...

> > For further definition: Doesn't have to be Superheroes. Comic Books
> > only, no comic strips (tho a separate list for those is fine, I'm
> > learning a few new things in this thread). Characters do not need to
> > have originated in comic books, however: For ex, The Shadow is fine,
> > even tho comic books are about the *last* media the character showed
> > up in...
>
> James Bond has appeared in comics. Star Trek. Loads of things...
> where do we draw that particular line?

Yeah, maybe that line is too loose. Let's see, how about...The
*majority* of the subject's appearances have to be in comic books,
even if they didn't originate there?

I agree with Duggy that doesn't work either. He cited Star Wars. Or how
about Donald Duck? Despite many comic books published starring him, most
people would consider Donald a cartoon character.

Duggy

Mar 9, 2010, 8:19:37 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 2:30 am, "MG" <()> wrote:
> The original Swamp Thing movie was based on the original concept by Wein.
> (That ST was a transformed Alec Holland.)

That is how I remember it.

> Though I haven't seen anything
> since the first movie, from what I've heard, later works were based on Moore
> reimagining of the concept.

Haven't seen them either, but I heard otherwise... this is a DC ng...
surely someone's seen the second film?

> IIRC, the Constantine movie's main storyline (Constantine having cancer -
> having to trick the Devil to stay alive) was based on Jamie Delano's work on
> the comic. I don't know of any other movies based on Delano's work.

Don't know the source material... but it's possible that a number of
creators work could have been referenced or included... which becomes
a "that was more important to the film"/"no this was" argument.

> I agree with Duggy

Don't do that. People will hate you.

> that doesn't work either. He cited Star Wars. Or how
> about Donald Duck? Despite many comic books published starring him, most
> people would consider Donald a cartoon character.

Exactly.

===
= DUG.
===

OM

Mar 9, 2010, 10:35:34 PM3/9/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:19:37 -0800 (PST), Duggy
<Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

>> I agree with Duggy
>
>Don't do that. People will hate you.

...No, they'll either question your logic, or at least be grateful
you're not replying to Ranger.

Unknown

Mar 9, 2010, 11:17:58 PM3/9/10

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

> On Mar 10, 2:30 am, "MG" <()> wrote:
>> The original Swamp Thing movie was based on the original concept by Wein.
>> (That ST was a transformed Alec Holland.)
>
> That is how I remember it.
>
>> Though I haven't seen anything
>> since the first movie, from what I've heard, later works were based on
>> Moore
>> reimagining of the concept.
>
> Haven't seen them either, but I heard otherwise... this is a DC ng...
> surely someone's seen the second film?

Actually, I've been looking around on line and what I'm finding is that all
the movies and tv shows were based on the original Wein concept.

>> IIRC, the Constantine movie's main storyline (Constantine having cancer -
>> having to trick the Devil to stay alive) was based on Jamie Delano's work
>> on
>> the comic. I don't know of any other movies based on Delano's work.
>
> Don't know the source material... but it's possible that a number of
> creators work could have been referenced or included... which becomes
> a "that was more important to the film"/"no this was" argument.

Yeah, I was just pointing out to Hand-of-Omega that while Moore created
Constantine - the movie seemed to be based more on Delano's work on the
Hellblazer title.

>> I agree with Duggy
>
> Don't do that. People will hate you.

Sorry. But you're right on this one.

>> that doesn't work either. He cited Star Wars. Or how
>> about Donald Duck? Despite many comic books published starring him, most
>> people would consider Donald a cartoon character.
>
> Exactly.

I think the best definition would be that the subject was created in a comic
book or is most associated with comic book by the general public. (Example,
Perry White was created for the radio show but most people consider him a
comic book character.)

Michael

Mar 13, 2010, 8:21:58 PM3/13/10
Duggy wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2:30 am, "MG" <()> wrote:
>
>>The original Swamp Thing movie was based on the original concept by Wein.
>>(That ST was a transformed Alec Holland.)
>

> That is how I remember it.

I don't think there was another version at the time of the first film,
was there?

>> Though I haven't seen anything
>>since the first movie, from what I've heard, later works were based on Moore
>>reimagining of the concept.
>

> Haven't seen them either, but I heard otherwise... this is a DC ng...
> surely someone's seen the second film?

I only remember enough of the second film to say it was horrible. The
USA television show might've been based more on Moore's run.

Michael

Duggy

Mar 14, 2010, 4:59:20 AM3/14/10
On Mar 14, 11:21 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> I only remember enough of the second film to say it was horrible.  The
> USA television show might've been based more on Moore's run.

The TV series that continued on from the second film?

===
= DUG.
===

Michael

Mar 14, 2010, 7:47:00 PM3/14/10
Duggy wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the USA series had anything to do
with the second movie except for being about the same main character and
starring the same guy as said character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Thing_(TV_series)

Michael

Duggy

Mar 14, 2010, 9:43:38 PM3/14/10
On Mar 15, 9:47 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> Duggy wrote:
> > On Mar 14, 11:21 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:

> >>I only remember enough of the second film to say it was horrible. The
> >>USA television show might've been based more on Moore's run.
> > The TV series that continued on from the second film?
> I could be wrong, but I don't think the USA series had anything to do
> with the second movie except for being about the same main character and
> starring the same guy as said character.

Well, the same character isn't the Moore version.

===
= DUG.
===

Unknown

Mar 15, 2010, 12:00:18 AM3/15/10

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

Yeah, further research on my part showed that apparently that the Moore
reimaging didn't appear in any of the movie or tv appearances. Which I
could see as movie studios would probably think the man becoming a monster
would be more sympathetic to the audience.

Duggy

Mar 15, 2010, 11:31:31 PM3/15/10
On Mar 15, 2:00 pm, "MG" <()> wrote:
> Yeah, further research on my part showed that apparently that the Moore
> reimaging didn't appear in any of the movie or tv appearances. Which I
> could see as movie studios would probably think the man becoming a monster
> would be more sympathetic to the audience.

I think it seems more mass-market friendly. Man-becomes-creature is a
Superhero/Horror standard. What Moore did would be a harder sell, if
only to the execs.

===
= DUG.
===

EB

Mar 18, 2010, 11:08:53 AM3/18/10
On Feb 25, 3:54 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> > On Feb 24, 7:28 pm, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >>In article
> >><3292c80f-db73-4ee4-98e8-238055180...@z19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

> >>Why not just go to the existing list on Wiki?
>
> > Psst! Because it's more fun this way!
>
> Just offhand, keeping it only to movies that made it to the big screen
> (and not including big screen movies that didn't make it and just went
> right to DVD):
>
> And I should add my list will likely be from the 70s on and probably
> mostly Stuff Based on American books (unlike, say Danger:  Diabolik)
>
>  >>>Swamp Thing
>
> Return Of Swamp Thing
>
> The Rocketeer
> The Phantom
> Superman
> Superman 2
> Superman 3
> Superman 4:  The Quest For Peace
> Superman Returns
> Batman
> Batman Returns
> Batman Forever
> Batman & Robin
> Batman Begins
> The Dark Knight
> Daredevil
> Elektra
> Blade
> Blade 2
> Blade Trinity
> The Fantastic Four
> The Fantastic Four 2:  Something With The Silver Surfer
> The Mask Of Zorro
> The Legend Of Zorro
> Catwoman
> X-Men
> X-Men 2
> X-Men 3
> X-Men Origins:  Wolverine
> Hulk
> The Incredble Hulk
> Iron Man
> Iron Man 2 (close enough to opening day I'd say)
> Spider-Man
> Spider-Man 2
> Spider-Man 3
> The Punisher (Dolph's)
> The Punisher
> Punisher:  War Zone
>
> Michael (my name, not the movie)- Hide quoted text -

So does it matter if they were novel before they were comic books?

I'm thinking of adding

Conan
Soloman Kane
Tarzan

EB

Bill Steele

Mar 18, 2010, 2:31:05 PM3/18/10
In article
<129bf03b-8026-499f...@r1g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
EB <rickb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I think it would have to be a situation where the comic bookled to the
movie. I don't know about Solomon Kane, but Conan and Tarzan went from
novels to movies before they were ever in comic books.

Luis Rodriguez

Mar 25, 2010, 11:32:03 PM3/25/10
On Mar 10, 2:30 am, "MG" <()> wrote:
>> IIRC, the Constantine movie's main storyline (Constantine having cancer -
>> having to trick the Devil to stay alive) was based on Jamie Delano's work on
>> the comic. I don't know of any other movies based on Delano's work.

Constantine was based on Garth Ennis' work. It was during Ennis' run
that Constantine got cancer and had to trick the Devil.

Killans - First And Last And Always

Apr 14, 2010, 6:47:15 PM4/14/10
In article <5f98e8ad-c178-4d88...@f17g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>On Mar 10, 2:30 am, "MG" <()> wrote:
>
>> IIRC, the Constantine movie's main storyline (Constantine having cancer -
>> having to trick the Devil to stay alive) was based on Jamie Delano's work on
>> the comic. I don't know of any other movies based on Delano's work.
>
>Don't know the source material... but it's possible that a number of
>creators work could have been referenced or included... which becomes
>a "that was more important to the film"/"no this was" argument.

Actually, the cancer/tricking-the-devil story came from Garth Ennis' first
(and best) Hellblazer story, "Dangerous Habita".

Mike

Duggy

Apr 14, 2010, 11:44:59 PM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 10:47 pm, mcoll...@nyx.net (Killans - First And Last And
Always) wrote:

> Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> >Don't know the source material... but it's possible that a number of
> >creators work could have been referenced or included... which becomes
> >a "that was more important to the film"/"no this was" argument.
> Actually, the cancer/tricking-the-devil story came from Garth Ennis' first
> (and best) Hellblazer story, "Dangerous Habita".

And were there other creators works referenced?

===
= DUG.
===

john smith

Jun 7, 2011, 12:07:25 PM6/7/11

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

> On Mar 10, 2:30 am, "MG" <()> wrote:
>> The original Swamp Thing movie was based on the original concept by Wein.
>> (That ST was a transformed Alec Holland.)
>
> That is how I remember it.
>
>> Though I haven't seen anything
>> since the first movie, from what I've heard, later works were based on
>> Moore
>> reimagining of the concept.
>
> Haven't seen them either, but I heard otherwise... this is a DC ng...
> surely someone's seen the second film?
>
>> IIRC, the Constantine movie's main storyline (Constantine having cancer -
>> having to trick the Devil to stay alive) was based on Jamie Delano's work
>> on
>> the comic.

That was the main plot of Garth's first storyline, "Bad Habits"...

Duggy

Jun 7, 2011, 4:02:03 PM6/7/11
On Jun 8, 2:07 am, "john smith" <the_johnsm...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> That was the main plot of Garth's first storyline, "Bad Habits"...

So Killans said in April.

===
= DUG.
===

Will Dockery

Jun 9, 2011, 7:54:56 AM6/9/11
"MG" <()> wrote:
> "Duggy" <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

> >> I could be wrong, but I don't think the USA series had anything to do
> >> with the second movie except for being about the same main character and
> >> starring the same guy as said character.
>
> > Well, the same character isn't the Moore version.
>
> Yeah, further research on my part showed that apparently that the Moore
> reimaging didn't appear in any of the movie or tv appearances. Which I
> could see as movie studios would probably think the man becoming a monster
> would be more sympathetic to the audience.

I remember trying to watch the second Swamp Thing film and some of the
television series, being an ardent follower of the Moore run, and do
rememer touches of Alan Moore's version, such as Abby being involved.

Then I checked Wiki & it seems that the film was probably the first &
worst botchings of Moore concepts:

http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/The_Return_Of_Swamp_Thing

"...After her mother's mysterious death, Abby Arcane (Heather
Locklear) travels to the Florida swamps to confront her evil
stepfather Dr. Arcane (Louis Jourdan), who had been resurrected with a
ludicrous explanation after his death in the first film. In an attempt
to stave off the effects of aging, Dr. Arcane, assisted by Dr. Lana
Zurrell (Sarah Douglas), combines genes from various swamp animals and
human beings, creating an army of monsters. Dr. Arcane tries to use
his stepdaughter Abby in his genetic experiments until she is rescued
by Swamp Thing (Dick Durock), a scientist previously transformed into
a bog creature after a confrontation with the evil doctor and a
conscience-stricken Dr. Zurrell."

Jeeze... I'm starting to remember how horrible these versions of ST
were, now...

--
Music, poetry & video of Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.youtube.com/user/WDockery