Martian Manhunter question (Smallville Spoilers)

Deadman

Sep 19, 2008, 3:43:31 AM9/19/08
So, I just finished watching the premiere of Smallville Season 8, and
while it's clearly a change of sorts from the previous seasons, one
thing in particular stuck out. From what I know of him, Martian
Manhunter isn't the biggest fan of fire so it makes sense that the sun
isn't really the best place for him to be hurtling himself towards,
but does the heat of the sun actually take away his powers in the
comics as it happened in Smallville? I seem to recall an earlier
appearance in the season 6 finale saying that he had to go up into the
Earth's atmosphere in order to heal himself. Doesn't that mean he'd be
exposed to the sun the way he was by flying into it? Maybe not to the
same extent, but still.

Any exposure should diminish his powers if that were actually the
case. So... anyone know the answer to what I'm asking?

Dave Van Domelen

Sep 19, 2008, 8:18:24 AM9/19/08
Nope. While inspired by his classic fire weakness, this is pretty
clearly just a plot device invented for the show in order to shuffle J'onn
off stage for a while.

Dave Van Domelen, found the whole "fly to the Sun" thing pretty full of
logic holes anyway.

Bill Steele

Sep 19, 2008, 2:39:33 PM9/19/08
In article <gb05ag$t7d$1...@news.stanford.edu>,

dva...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:

> Nope. While inspired by his classic fire weakness, this is pretty
> clearly just a plot device invented for the show in order to shuffle J'onn
> off stage for a while.

Either Phil Morris has another commitment, or they want to set up a "MM
can't pop up and save the day" expectation. Otherwise they could just
have had Chloe heal Clark and have that conveniently restore his powers.

I wish they'd had him walk through a wall or two before they got to
this...

Mike B

Sep 19, 2008, 3:08:53 PM9/19/08
Bill Steele wrote:

> Either Phil Morris has another commitment

By the way, is this the Phil Morris who is the son of the original
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE's Greg Morris, and once played in a short-lived
revival of the series in a role with the same job as his dad's character?

George Peatty

Sep 19, 2008, 3:34:33 PM9/19/08

Yes

Deadman

Sep 20, 2008, 2:16:45 AM9/20/08
On Sep 19, 1:39 pm, Bill Steele <w...@cornell.edu> wrote:
> In article <gb05ag$t7...@news.stanford.edu>,

I figured as much, I hadn't read anything about Martian Manhunter
losing his powers through contact with fire but I couldn't be certain.
Is there something that does make him lose his powers? Other than the
fact that he happens to be dead for the moment? I kinda hoped they'd
do something more involved with his character since I heard Martian
Manhunter was going to be in the premiere. He just doesn't get enough
screen time as a character to do anything of substance.

I like what they did in using Oliver Queen, A.C. and Dinah to find
Clark, but again they didn't move the characters anywhere interesting.
With the exception of Oliver because of the time he was given on the
6th season, they're 2 dimensional heroes. The lack of an appearance by
Bart Allen and Victor Stone was also disappointing. But otherwise, I
thought it was a decent episode.

Rob Jensen

Sep 22, 2008, 12:55:43 AM9/22/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:39:33 -0400, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

>In article <gb05ag$t7d$1...@news.stanford.edu>,
> dva...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
>
>> Nope. While inspired by his classic fire weakness, this is pretty
>> clearly just a plot device invented for the show in order to shuffle J'onn
>> off stage for a while.
>
>Either Phil Morris has another commitment, or they want to set up a "MM
>can't pop up and save the day" expectation. Otherwise they could just
>have had Chloe heal Clark and have that conveniently restore his powers.

For that matter, they could have had Chloe heal MM. Unless they're
trying to say that becoming Oracle (hee) has stripped her of her
healing powers.

-- Rob
--
LORELAI: I am so done with plans. I am never, ever making one again.
It never works. I spend the day obsessing over why it didn't work

Unknown

Sep 22, 2008, 8:57:30 AM9/22/08

"Rob Jensen" <Shut...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:39:33 -0400, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <gb05ag$t7d$1...@news.stanford.edu>,
>> dva...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
>>
>>> Nope. While inspired by his classic fire weakness, this is pretty
>>> clearly just a plot device invented for the show in order to shuffle
>>> J'onn
>>> off stage for a while.
>>
>>Either Phil Morris has another commitment, or they want to set up a "MM
>>can't pop up and save the day" expectation. Otherwise they could just
>>have had Chloe heal Clark and have that conveniently restore his powers.
>
> For that matter, they could have had Chloe heal MM. Unless they're
> trying to say that becoming Oracle (hee) has stripped her of her
> healing powers.

I don't think Chloe is Oracle, I think she's the new Brainiac.

Rome

Sep 22, 2008, 3:35:13 PM9/22/08
On Sep 22, 12:55 am, Rob Jensen <ShutUp...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:39:33 -0400, Bill Steele <w...@cornell.edu>

> wrote:
>
> >In article <gb05ag$t7...@news.stanford.edu>,
> > dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
>
> >>      Nope.  While inspired by his classic fire weakness, this is pretty
> >> clearly just a plot device invented for the show in order to shuffle J'onn
> >> off stage for a while.
>
> >Either Phil Morris has another commitment, or they want to set up a "MM
> >can't pop up and save the day" expectation. Otherwise they could just
> >have had Chloe heal Clark and have that conveniently restore his powers.
>
> For that matter, they could have had Chloe heal MM.  Unless they're
> trying to say that becoming Oracle (hee) has stripped her of her
> healing powers.
>
>   -- Rob
---
Chloe doesn't have her healing power anymore. Braniac inadvertantly
took it from her when he tried to high jack her brain. She did get
some of his massive computing power into her brain though.
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Hunter

Sep 22, 2008, 7:32:33 PM9/22/08
On Sep 22, 12:55 am, Rob Jensen <ShutUp...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:39:33 -0400, Bill Steele <w...@cornell.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <gb05ag$t7...@news.stanford.edu>,
> > dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
>
> >>      Nope.  While inspired by his classic fire weakness, this is pretty
> >> clearly just a plot device invented for the show in order to shuffle J'onn
> >> off stage for a while.
>
> >Either Phil Morris has another commitment, or they want to set up a "MM
> >can't pop up and save the day" expectation. Otherwise they could just
> >have had Chloe heal Clark and have that conveniently restore his powers.
>
> For that matter, they could have had Chloe heal MM.  Unless they're
> trying to say that becoming Oracle (hee) has stripped her of her
> healing powers.
>
>   -- Rob
----

jimmydeanbakker

Sep 22, 2008, 11:56:33 PM9/22/08
The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to me. I
know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers forever? I
just didn't buy it. In addition, I don't know how well the show will
be without Lex. I'm going to watch it, but I'm hoping he puts on the
cape this season.

On Sep 21, 11:55 pm, Rob Jensen <ShutUp...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:39:33 -0400, Bill Steele <w...@cornell.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <gb05ag$t7...@news.stanford.edu>,

Deadman

Sep 23, 2008, 2:48:45 AM9/23/08
On Sep 22, 10:56 pm, jimmydeanbakker <jimmydeanbak...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > victim of my own stupid plans.  God, I need some coffee.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't get the impression that Martian Manhunter has lost his powers
forever. They could always explain it as why he "took a break" until
Superman showed up like it says in current comic continuity during
Final Crisis: Requiem. I have the same doubts about the show being any
good without Lex. He's been a staple of the show since the beginning.
Not having him around seems like a bad thing.

From what I've read about season 8, Clark won't be putting on the cape
or tights this season. But he may go "up, up and away" without the
possession and/or reprogramming excuse.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 23, 2008, 10:58:44 AM9/23/08
In article
<bc600b19-af12-4191...@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
jimmydeanbakker <jimmyde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to me. I
> know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers forever?

It doesn't. It just kills him. Which is why it's so problematic that
he made it back from the sun. And just fine.

--
Third root canal - averted.

Hip Hip Hurrah!

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 23, 2008, 12:12:26 PM9/23/08
Deadman <deadmans...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I didn't get the impression that Martian Manhunter has lost his powers
>forever.

Snarf. As soon as a script has a need for his powers to be restored it
will be done. All Clark has to do is fly the guy in the vicinity of a
sun with the effect of the Krypton sun, or Chloe will heel him or
something else equally stupid.

Bill Steele

Sep 23, 2008, 3:42:00 PM9/23/08
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-69268...@news.west.cox.net>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> > The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to me. I
> > know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers forever?
>
> It doesn't. It just kills him. Which is why it's so problematic that
> he made it back from the sun. And just fine.

What's problematic is, how did he get back at all?

Imagine a superhero with a delayed-action weakness:

"I'll bash you with this yellow club, and you'll have a real headache
about an hour after you take me to jail."

newto...@mypacks.net

Sep 23, 2008, 4:12:51 PM9/23/08
On Sep 23, 10:58 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article
> <bc600b19-af12-4191-9e16-5a485a284...@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

>  jimmydeanbakker <jimmydeanbak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to me. I
> > know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers forever?
>
> It doesn't.  It just kills him.  Which is why it's so problematic that
> he made it back from the sun.  And just fine.

Even if you buy the logic that it just stripped him of his powers
(which is a nagging problem on this show for aliens whose "powers" are
simply physiological traits. Imagine something stripping you of your
"power" to blink or something. Ridiculous.) how in the world did he
make it back to Earth safely with a non-flying (and unconscious) Clark
Kent in tow?

The problem is they never figured out a role for MM on the show beyond
being a deus ex machina - he shows up to write them out of a jam. For
instance, why the heck was he just watching Chloe, AC and Dinah get
kidnapped, GA get mind-controlled, and Clark get shot full of holes
before he did anything (not to mention all he did was save Clark - how
the heck did all those other guys egt out of there in one piece?)

That aside, I was most dismayed at the disbanding of the Justice
League at the end. It was as though the characters were saying "So far
we've lost Clark's parents, Lionel, Lex, Brainiac and every other
magnetic personality on the show (Pete Ross and Care-uh
notwithstanding) - our only real option now is to get rid of the only
other thing that holds some sort of energy or promise! No more Justice
League! Yes!"

I've been waiting for the show to transition to mostly JL centric
since GA showed up and started getting good ratings, but no such luck.
I thought with the inclusion of Justin Hartley in the opening credits
augured well for this development, but I guess not. They're just gonna
limo to the finish line instead. Too bad...

Anim8rFSK

Sep 23, 2008, 5:15:50 PM9/23/08
In article
<e33bd684-a71c-4e88...@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
newto...@mypacks.net wrote:

> On Sep 23, 10:58 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> > In article
> > <bc600b19-af12-4191-9e16-5a485a284...@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  jimmydeanbakker <jimmydeanbak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to me. I
> > > know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers forever?
> >
> > It doesn't.  It just kills him.  Which is why it's so problematic that
> > he made it back from the sun.  And just fine.
> >

> Even if you buy the logic that it just stripped him of his powers
> (which is a nagging problem on this show for aliens whose "powers" are
> simply physiological traits. Imagine something stripping you of your
> "power" to blink or something. Ridiculous.) how in the world did he
> make it back to Earth safely with a non-flying (and unconscious) Clark
> Kent in tow?
>
> The problem is they never figured out a role for MM on the show beyond
> being a deus ex machina - he shows up to write them out of a jam. For
> instance, why the heck was he just watching Chloe, AC and Dinah get
> kidnapped, GA get mind-controlled, and Clark get shot full of holes
> before he did anything (not to mention all he did was save Clark - how
> the heck did all those other guys egt out of there in one piece?)

Well, Olly snapped out of it, I assume he murdered all the other guards,
most of which were helpless, and they left. That's what terrorists DO.

> That aside, I was most dismayed at the disbanding of the Justice
> League at the end. It was as though the characters were saying "So far
> we've lost Clark's parents, Lionel, Lex, Brainiac and every other
> magnetic personality on the show (Pete Ross and Care-uh
> notwithstanding) - our only real option now is to get rid of the only
> other thing that holds some sort of energy or promise! No more Justice
> League! Yes!"

They were disbanded because . . . their cell phone numbers had been
discovered! Completely ending their usefullness as ace crimefighters!

They'll never be back!

At least not until they get a new service provider.

> I've been waiting for the show to transition to mostly JL centric
> since GA showed up and started getting good ratings, but no such luck.
> I thought with the inclusion of Justin Hartley in the opening credits
> augured well for this development, but I guess not. They're just gonna
> limo to the finish line instead. Too bad...

I wondered why he was in the credits, but I decided it was because no
one else is.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 23, 2008, 6:10:55 PM9/23/08
newto...@mypacks.net writes:

> On Sep 23, 10:58 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
>> In article
>> <bc600b19-af12-4191-9e16-5a485a284...@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>>  jimmydeanbakker <jimmydeanbak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to
>> > me. I know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers
>> > forever?
>>
>> It doesn't.  It just kills him.  Which is why it's so problematic
>> that he made it back from the sun.  And just fine.
>
> Even if you buy the logic that it just stripped him of his powers
> (which is a nagging problem on this show for aliens whose "powers"
> are simply physiological traits. Imagine something stripping you of
> your "power" to blink or something. Ridiculous.) how in the world
> did he make it back to Earth safely with a non-flying (and
> unconscious) Clark Kent in tow?

Clearly, before he dove into the sun, he flew around the back so that
he could plunge in and make it back to earth on a ballistic
trajectory, whereupon a no-longer-unconscious Clark landed them both.

Or something like that.

HP Laboratories |You cannot solve problems with the
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |same type of thinking that created
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |them.
| Albert Einstein
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Bob Hughes

Sep 23, 2008, 7:06:11 PM9/23/08
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:42:00 -0400, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

>In article <ANIM8Rfsk-69268...@news.west.cox.net>,

> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> > The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to me. I
>> > know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers forever?
>>
>> It doesn't. It just kills him. Which is why it's so problematic that
>> he made it back from the sun. And just fine.
>
>What's problematic is, how did he get back at all?

It's just orbital mechanics. And since fire has never actually killed
the Martian Manhunter in any comic I've ever seen. Or any other
Martian for that matter (although I could be wrong on this), I don't
see why you leap to that conclusion. Usually he just falls over in a
fit of weakness and makes all those groaning noises Superman does when
he faces Kryptonite.

>Imagine a superhero with a delayed-action weakness:

That's the way Kryptonite works, and the red sun thingy nowadays.

I mist the old days when Superman would just throw a kryptonite meteor
into the ocean and wash it off. Then he was good to go.

Billy Bissette

Sep 23, 2008, 11:41:29 PM9/23/08
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in news:YsudnftXB-
73iETVnZ2dn...@comcast.com:

More likely they've just dropped the actor and written him out of
the show, like they did Kara.

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 24, 2008, 12:40:49 AM9/24/08
Billy Bissette <bai...@coastalnet.com> wrote:

>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Deadman <deadmans...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>>I didn't get the impression that Martian Manhunter has lost his powers
>>>forever.

>>Snarf. As soon as a script has a need for his powers to be restored it
>>will be done. All Clark has to do is fly the guy in the vicinity of a
>>sun with the effect of the Krypton sun, or Chloe will heel him or
>>something else equally stupid.

> More likely they've just dropped the actor and written him out of
>the show, like they did Kara.

Alas, would-be evil corporate babe is not as babish as little Miss Vandervoort
had been.

Billy Bissette

Sep 24, 2008, 1:00:04 AM9/24/08
Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu> wrote in news:ws21-58AF4B.15420023092008
@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu:

> In article <ANIM8Rfsk-69268...@news.west.cox.net>,
> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> > The whole Martian Man Hunter losing his powers felt pasted on to
me. I
>> > know MMH weakness is fire, but why does it steal his powers
forever?

>> It doesn't. It just kills him. Which is why it's so problematic
that
>> he made it back from the sun. And just fine.
>
> What's problematic is, how did he get back at all?

I think Smallville is written under the belief that after the last
few years, no one watching expects any degree of quality or sense in
the writing, so there is no need for the writers to even pretend to
care anymore.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 24, 2008, 9:46:59 AM9/24/08
In article <detid4lnoavqoa6hj...@4ax.com>,
Bob Hughes <bobh...@ttlc.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:42:00 -0400, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
> wrote:

> >> It doesn't. It just kills him. Which is why it's so problematic that
> >> he made it back from the sun. And just fine.
> >
> >What's problematic is, how did he get back at all?
>
> It's just orbital mechanics. And since fire has never actually killed
> the Martian Manhunter in any comic I've ever seen. Or any other
> Martian for that matter (although I could be wrong on this), I don't
> see why you leap to that conclusion. Usually he just falls over in a
> fit of weakness and makes all those groaning noises Superman does when
> he faces Kryptonite.

You might want to check out the completely dead MM in the current comics.

> >Imagine a superhero with a delayed-action weakness:
>
> That's the way Kryptonite works, and the red sun thingy nowadays.
>
> I mist the old days when Superman would just throw a kryptonite meteor
> into the ocean and wash it off. Then he was good to go.
>

> >"I'll bash you with this yellow club, and you'll have a real headache
> >about an hour after you take me to jail."

Michael Alan Chary

Sep 24, 2008, 9:57:48 AM9/24/08
In article <ws21-58AF4B.1...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>,

In the comics the fire thing is more of guideline than a weakness. (It was
"revealed" to be psychosomatic in the 1980's, and now it just sort of
depends who is writing the guy.)
--
The All-New, All-Different Howling Curmudgeons!
http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons

Michael Alan Chary

Sep 24, 2008, 9:58:55 AM9/24/08
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-31ECF...@news.west.cox.net>,

Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>In article <detid4lnoavqoa6hj...@4ax.com>,
> Bob Hughes <bobh...@ttlc.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:42:00 -0400, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
>> wrote:

>> >What's problematic is, how did he get back at all?
>>
>> It's just orbital mechanics. And since fire has never actually killed
>> the Martian Manhunter in any comic I've ever seen. Or any other
>> Martian for that matter (although I could be wrong on this), I don't
>> see why you leap to that conclusion. Usually he just falls over in a
>> fit of weakness and makes all those groaning noises Superman does when
>> he faces Kryptonite.
>
>You might want to check out the completely dead MM in the current comics.

Yeah. Dead. You got a stop watch?

Michael Alan Chary

Sep 24, 2008, 10:08:32 AM9/24/08
In article <Xns9B23A20386B8...@216.168.3.70>,

They hired Jeph Loeb to write the show.

They are obviously going for a comic book sensibility.

Here is where I am on Smallville. I like Superman. I want a regular
Superman fix. So while there are better shows on television, there are
multiple ways to watch all of them with the advent of DVR and torrent and
VCR and DVD and whatnot.

Given those facts, Smallville does not have to be better than other
television shows. It just has to be better than the Superman comics. It
is. I am watching.

newto...@mypacks.net

Sep 24, 2008, 2:30:18 PM9/24/08
On Sep 24, 10:08 am, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:

> Given those facts, Smallville does not have to be better than other
> television shows. It just has to be better than the Superman comics. It
> is. I am watching.
> --

HA!

I take it you are NOT reading the Superman comics, then, because
between Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns and James Robinson they have been
friggin terrific for the last few years (the Last Son delays
notwithstanding).

That said, I still like and watch Smallville, but as someone else just
said, the writers know they can get away with glossed over nonsense
because people just accept it. Which is fine. It is fun to point it
out here, though.

Michael Alan Chary

Sep 24, 2008, 3:00:17 PM9/24/08
In article <850669e0-83ad-4d38...@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

<newto...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>On Sep 24, 10:08 am, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:
>

>> Given those facts, Smallville does not have to be better than other
>> television shows. It just has to be better than the Superman comics. It
>> is. I am watching.
>> --
>
>HA!
>
>I take it you are NOT reading the Superman comics, then, because
>between Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns and James Robinson they have been
>friggin terrific for the last few years (the Last Son delays
>notwithstanding).

I have been reading them. They have not been terrific. They have been
better than the previous ten years, but just because you can avoid turning
in something as bad as the electric Superman doesn't mean you are doing
better than Smallville.

Apart from the somewhat pedestrian writng, however, the visuals are also
part of both media, and Smallville has always had a high babe factor.

newto...@mypacks.net

Sep 24, 2008, 5:12:04 PM9/24/08
On Sep 24, 3:00 pm, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:

> I have been reading them. They have not been terrific. They have been
> better than the previous ten years, but just because you can avoid turning
> in something as bad as the electric Superman doesn't mean you are doing
> better than Smallville.
>
> Apart from the somewhat pedestrian writng, however, the visuals are also
> part of both media, and Smallville has always had a high babe factor.

I'd be curious to know which Superman comics you consider "good." I'm
also curious to know why you keep reading if you don't think they're
good. Regardless, they kick the shit out of Smallville every single
time.

grinningdemon

Sep 24, 2008, 10:43:57 PM9/24/08
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:30:18 -0700 (PDT), newto...@mypacks.net
wrote:

>On Sep 24, 10:08 am, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:
>

>> Given those facts, Smallville does not have to be better than other
>> television shows. It just has to be better than the Superman comics. It
>> is. I am watching.
>> --
>
>HA!
>
>I take it you are NOT reading the Superman comics, then, because
>between Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns and James Robinson they have been
>friggin terrific for the last few years (the Last Son delays
>notwithstanding).

I agree that Busiek's Superman was great...but I have mixed feelings
about Johns' Action Comics...there are definitely things I like but I
don't like all the massive, pointless retcons and I don't like how
Johns is trying to revert the character to the Silver Age (did ANYONE
die on Krypton other than Jor-El?)...I'd prefer he move on to
something new or at least something consistent...it's too soon to tell
about Robinson (whose work I usually love) but he seems to be pretty
much in line with Johns so I'm not sure I like the direction Superman
is headed.

>That said, I still like and watch Smallville, but as someone else just
>said, the writers know they can get away with glossed over nonsense
>because people just accept it. Which is fine. It is fun to point it
>out here, though.

I'm with you on this...Smallville's not exactly wonderful but it's
still entertaining so I'm still watching...and the changes they've
made this season have left me cautiously optimistic.

OM

Sep 25, 2008, 1:13:35 AM9/25/08
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:12:04 -0700 (PDT), newto...@mypacks.net
wrote:

>I'd be curious to know which Superman comics you consider "good." I'm
>also curious to know why you keep reading if you don't think they're
>good. Regardless, they kick the shit out of Smallville every single
>time.

...Maybe now, but there was a time not *that* long ago that the
Super-books were heading down the toilet. Most of which was due to the
editor not putting the reigns on the writer.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

Billy Bissette

Sep 25, 2008, 2:02:45 AM9/25/08
OM <om@all_trolls_must_DIE.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:12:04 -0700 (PDT), newto...@mypacks.net
> wrote:
>
>>I'd be curious to know which Superman comics you consider "good." I'm
>>also curious to know why you keep reading if you don't think they're
>>good. Regardless, they kick the shit out of Smallville every single
>>time.
>
> ...Maybe now, but there was a time not *that* long ago that the
> Super-books were heading down the toilet. Most of which was due to the
> editor not putting the reigns on the writer.

Reigns or reins? Two entirely different meanings. I'm guessing
the latter, but I haven't been interested in Superman's comics for
possibly decades.

grinningdemon

Sep 25, 2008, 6:48:47 PM9/25/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 00:13:35 -0500, OM <om@all_trolls_must_DIE.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:12:04 -0700 (PDT), newto...@mypacks.net
>wrote:
>
>>I'd be curious to know which Superman comics you consider "good." I'm
>>also curious to know why you keep reading if you don't think they're
>>good. Regardless, they kick the shit out of Smallville every single
>>time.
>
>...Maybe now, but there was a time not *that* long ago that the
>Super-books were heading down the toilet. Most of which was due to the
>editor not putting the reigns on the writer.
>
> OM

That's still true even now...and it's hardly limited to Superman...the
only difference is now they've got a better caliber of writer on the
books to start with...but they still need the editors to pull their
heads our of their asses and start earning their paychecks.

Bob Hughes

Sep 25, 2008, 6:57:58 PM9/25/08

If you're talking about Eddie Berganza, it has nothing to do with
"pulling the reins". He actively encouraged that stuff. Worst Editor
Ever. And he still works there.

grinningdemon

Sep 25, 2008, 7:50:53 PM9/25/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:57:58 -0400, Bob Hughes <bobh...@ttlc.net>
wrote:

That may be who OM was talking about but I'm talking about editors in
general at DC...and Marvel too...writers (especially the A-listers)
can do whatever the hell they want to whoever the hell they want in
the DC and Marvel Universes...it really seems like no one cares at all
anymore.

OM

Sep 25, 2008, 8:29:01 PM9/25/08
wrote:

>If you're talking about Eddie Berganza, it has nothing to do with

>"pulling the reins". He actively encouraged that stuff. Worst Editor
>Ever. And he still works there.

...Yeah, Berganza's the one I'm talking about. That blithering bozo is
the worst editor DC's had since that one other clod whose name I can't
remember - Petersen, Peterson, something like that - who let the
Titans go straight to hell after Perez left the book. The problem has
been since the flap over "Dark Phoenix's All-You-Can-Eat Asparagus
Buffet" and Jim Shooter's reign, editors seem either too chickenshit
to keep their wild writing talents in line, or too wrapped up in
trying to *not* be an editor and keep being writers that they guide
writers in the wrong direction especially for the wrong reasons. More
than ever, we're sorrier for the loss of guys like Mark Gruenwald and
Archie Goodwin.

OM

Sep 25, 2008, 8:35:19 PM9/25/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:02:45 -0500, Billy Bissette
<bai...@coastalnet.com> wrote:

>Reigns or reins? Two entirely different meanings.

...Dammit, Billy! As inoften as I misspell words these days, don't
play that game with me. You know damn well what I meant :-P :-P :-P

Billy Bissette

Sep 25, 2008, 11:18:39 PM9/25/08

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:02:45 -0500, Billy Bissette
> <bai...@coastalnet.com> wrote:
>
>>Reigns or reins? Two entirely different meanings.
>
> ...Dammit, Billy! As inoften as I misspell words these days, don't
> play that game with me. You know damn well what I meant :-P :-P :-P

As I haven't read Superman in years, I honestly wasn't sure you
weren't making a play on words. Not likely, but possible.

I normally don't mess with spelling or word errors, unless I really
am wondering what was meant. Heaven knows I make enough mistakes of
my own. Anyway, the only one that really bugs me is people confusing
"effect" and "affect."

OM

Sep 25, 2008, 11:55:07 PM9/25/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:18:39 -0500, Billy Bissette
<bai...@coastalnet.com> wrote:

>Anyway, the only one that really bugs me is people confusing
>"effect" and "affect."

...Especially when its affectively effecting you in a most unaffective
way.

Michael Alan Chary

Sep 26, 2008, 10:17:28 AM9/26/08
In article <a70ec2ce-5209-4b24...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,

<newto...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>On Sep 24, 3:00 pm, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:
>
>> I have been reading them. They have not been terrific. They have been
>> better than the previous ten years, but just because you can avoid turning
>> in something as bad as the electric Superman doesn't mean you are doing
>> better than Smallville.
>>
>> Apart from the somewhat pedestrian writng, however, the visuals are also
>> part of both media, and Smallville has always had a high babe factor.
>

>I'd be curious to know which Superman comics you consider "good." I'm

My favorite run was probably the bronze age stuff by Elliot S! Maggin.
Alan Moore's stuff was really, really good.

>also curious to know why you keep reading if you don't think they're
>good.

Well, through the 1990's I was paid too. Recently, I haven't. I check
every once in while. However, as I said, I like the characters and the
concept enough that I am willing to read bad stories.

>Regardless, they kick the shit out of Smallville every single
>time.

Well, mileage varies, but you are clearly using something other than my
gas burning internal combustion machine...

newto...@mypacks.net

Sep 26, 2008, 11:37:12 AM9/26/08
On Sep 26, 10:17 am, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:

> Well, through the 1990's I was paid too. Recently, I haven't.  I check
> every once in while.  However, as I said, I like the characters and the
> concept enough that I am willing to read bad stories.

Oh, so you HAVEN'T been reading them lately. I see. So when you said
that you had been, you were lying or wrong. Thank you for admitting
your mistake. I accept your apology.

Michael Alan Chary

Sep 26, 2008, 12:48:23 PM9/26/08
In article <4d4921f5-3a37-4f8d...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

<newto...@mypacks.net> wrote:
>On Sep 26, 10:17 am, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:
>

>> Well, through the 1990's I was paid too. Recently, I haven't.  I check
>> every once in while.  However, as I said, I like the characters and the
>> concept enough that I am willing to read bad stories.
>>

>Oh, so you HAVEN'T been reading them lately. I see. So when you said
>that you had been, you were lying or wrong.

I read the first couple Busiek issues and Robinson issues. They were
pretty inane.

>TThank you for admitting

>your mistake. I accept your apology.

FOAD.

newto...@mypacks.net

Sep 26, 2008, 1:37:49 PM9/26/08
On Sep 26, 12:48 pm, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:
> In article <4d4921f5-3a37-4f8d-80f4-27ab5e195...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

>  <newton58...@mypacks.net> wrote:
> >On Sep 26, 10:17 am, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:
>
> >> Well, through the 1990's I was paid too. Recently, I haven't.  I check
> >> every once in while.  However, as I said, I like the characters and the
> >> concept enough that I am willing to read bad stories.
>
> >Oh, so you HAVEN'T been reading them lately. I see. So when you said
> >that you had been, you were lying or wrong.
>
> I read the first couple Busiek issues and Robinson issues. They were
> pretty inane.
>
> >TThank you for admitting
> >your mistake. I accept your apology.
>
> FOAD.
> --

Wow, your defensiveness doesn't belie any lack of credibility on your
part at all!!

If you're going to be a pompous ass, you gotta keep up the act or you
end up looking like a sad douchebag. Like you have just done. Nice
one.

I no longer accept your apology.

Deadman

Sep 26, 2008, 11:32:47 PM9/26/08
On Sep 24, 8:58 am, mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote:
> In article <ANIM8Rfsk-31ECFB.06465924092...@news.west.cox.net>,
>

> Anim8rFSK  <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> >In article <detid4lnoavqoa6hj14tf1h7dg83ev0...@4ax.com>,
> > Bob Hughes <bobhug...@ttlc.net> wrote:

> >> It's just orbital mechanics.  And since fire has never actually killed
> >> the Martian Manhunter in any comic I've ever seen.  Or any other
> >> Martian for that matter (although I could be wrong on this), I don't
> >> see why you leap to that conclusion.  Usually he just falls over in a
> >> fit of weakness and makes all those groaning noises Superman does when
> >> he faces Kryptonite.
>
> >You might want to check out the completely dead MM in the current comics.
>
> Yeah. Dead. You got a stop watch?
>
> --
> The All-New, All-Different Howling Curmudgeons!http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons- Hide quoted text -

Well, just because Justin Hartley is in the credits doesn't mean that
he has to be in every episode. If I recall, Erica Durance was a guest
star in season 4, then became a series regular in season 5 but only
appeared in about as many episodes as she did as a guest star. Then
she appeared more and more in season 6 and 7. Now I think we can
assume she's going to be in every episode. It's possible they're
planning on doing something similar with Green Arrow's character.
Aaron Ashmore also doesn't appear in efvery episode despite being a
series regular.

The reason why Martian Manhunter doesn't stop the kidnappings or
anything is because he was asked only to be a watchful eye and his
code of conduct doesn't allow him to interfere, except sometimes he
breaks that code in extreme circumstances. Also, Martian Manhunter
never actually said that he flew Clark into the sun, only that the
healing effect of the sun helped Clark. The ozone layer and clouds
would shield Clark's ability to heal from sunlight, but once they were
beyond that, the sun's light would be more effective. And as I
understand it, there was a time when Martian Manhunter took up a human
identity as a police officer and/or private detective. So this could
be simply Smallville's way of explaining that turn of events.

jimmydeanbakker

Sep 27, 2008, 11:38:15 AM9/27/08
On Sep 24, 12:00 am, Billy Bissette <bai...@coastalnet.com> wrote:
> Bill Steele <w...@cornell.edu> wrote in news:ws21-58AF4B.15420023092008
> @newsstand.cit.cornell.edu:

> me. I
> forever?
>
> >> It doesn't.  It just kills him.  Which is why it's so problematic
> that
> >> he made it back from the sun.  And just fine.
>
> > What's problematic is, how did he get back at all?
>
>   I think Smallville is written under the belief that after the last
> few years, no one watching expects any degree of quality or sense in
> the writing, so there is no need for the writers to even pretend to
> care anymore.
It does feel like the writers are writing to cancel the show because I
am seeing a lot of holes in the plots. In addition, Clark working at
the Daily Planet without Perry White disturbs me in a lot of ways too.
I don't see why the writers didn't put Perry White over the Daily
Planet and this new female CEO over Perry. The Perry White character
gave Clark's mission some legitimacy.

Deadman

Sep 27, 2008, 6:14:08 PM9/27/08
On Sep 27, 10:38 am, jimmydeanbakker <jimmydeanbak...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> gave Clark's mission some legitimacy.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, when I was watching that episode where "the boss" wanted to see
Clark, I actually thought it was going to be Perry. It was really
disappointing when it turned out to be the brunette. I would think the
CEO of a billion dollar company with multiple divisions and companies
around the world would have better things to do then to sit behind the
editor's desk of the Daily Planet.