Re: 20 Questions (Nautilus)

Message has been deleted

Glenn Holliday

Nov 7, 2009, 8:27:53 AM11/7/09
Nautilus wrote:
> The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from the
> kingdom of plants. It is mentioned very briefly, but it stuck in my
> mind because something is done to it that I never would have done.

1. Is that brief mention in LOTR?

--
Glenn Holliday holl...@acm.org

Message has been deleted

Troels Forchhammer

Nov 7, 2009, 4:03:40 PM11/7/09
In message <news:me1-29688A.1...@news.t-online.de>
Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> spoke these staves:

> In article <hd3sjr$evr$1...@aioe.org>,

> Glenn Holliday <holl...@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Nautilus wrote:
>>>
>>> The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from the
>>> kingdom of plants. It is mentioned very briefly, but it stuck
>>> in my mind because something is done to it that I never would
>>> have done.
>>
>> 1. Is that brief mention in LOTR?
>
> Yes, it is. I should have said that from the start.

Of course you shouldn't -- let the lazy buggers guess for them- eh -
ourselves ;-)

2. Is this object's plant-part(s) primarily from trees?

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human
stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 7, 2009, 5:23:17 PM11/7/09
"Nautilus" <m...@privacy.net> skrev i meddelelsen

> |: The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from the

> |: kingdom of plants. It is mentioned very briefly, but it stuck
> |: in my mind because something is done to it that I never would
> |: have done.
> |: 1. Is that brief mention in LOTR?
> |: Yes, it is. I should have said that from the start.
> |: Of course you shouldn't -- let the lazy buggers guess for them- eh -
> |: ourselves ;-)
> |: 2. Is this object's plant-part(s) primarily from trees?

> No, it isn't. It hasn't any "parts" BTW.

3: Can it be lifted and carried around by one person?

Wu[1] Ya[1].

Message has been deleted

Dirk Thierbach

Nov 8, 2009, 2:59:40 AM11/8/09
Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

|: The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from the
|: kingdom of plants. It is mentioned very briefly, but it stuck
|: in my mind because something is done to it that I never would
|: have done.
|: 1. Is that brief mention in LOTR?
|: Yes, it is. I should have said that from the start.

|: 2. Is this object's plant-part(s) primarily from trees?
|: No, it isn't. It hasn't any "parts" BTW.

|: 3. Can it be lifted and carried around by one person?
|: Yes, it can.

4. Is it fabricated (as opposed to mostly in its natural states, as it grew)?

- Dirk

Dirk Thierbach

Nov 8, 2009, 5:22:06 AM11/8/09
Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

|: The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from the
|: kingdom of plants. It is mentioned very briefly, but it stuck
|: in my mind because something is done to it that I never would
|: have done.
|: 1. Is that brief mention in LOTR?
|: Yes, it is. I should have said that from the start.

|: 2. Is this object's plant-part(s) primarily from trees?
|: No, it isn't. It hasn't any "parts" BTW.

|: 3. Can it be lifted and carried around by one person?
|: Yes, it can.

4. Is it fabricated (as opposed to mostly in its natural state, as it grew)?

- Dirk

Message has been deleted

Dirk Thierbach

Nov 8, 2009, 7:10:25 AM11/8/09
|: Yes, it is fabricated.

5. By the Elves?

- Dirk

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 8, 2009, 10:13:41 AM11/8/09

> Not by Elves. We can be sure of that.

6: Is it ever close (within a few yards) to the Ring?

Hraban.

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 8, 2009, 12:22:04 PM11/8/09

> |: The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from the
> |: kingdom of plants. It is mentioned very briefly, but it stuck
> |: in my mind because something is done to it that I never would
> |: have done.
> |: 1. Is that brief mention in LOTR?
> |: Yes, it is. I should have said that from the start.
> |: 2. Is this object's plant-part(s) primarily from trees?
> |: No, it isn't. It hasn't any "parts" BTW.
> |: 3. Can it be lifted and carried around by one person?
> |: Yes, it can.
> |: 4. Is it fabricated (as opposed to mostly in its natural state, as it
> |: grew)?
> |: Yes, it is fabricated.
> |: 5. By the Elves?
> |: Not by Elves. We can be sure of that.

> |: 6. Is it ever close (within a few yards) to the Ring?
> No, never.

7. Was it made by Men?

Cr�.

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 8, 2009, 4:54:49 PM11/8/09

> Yes. Though it is not stated directly, the context makes it clear.

8. Was it made by D�nedain?

Kruk.

Message has been deleted

Troels Forchhammer

Nov 9, 2009, 5:18:46 PM11/9/09
In message <news:me1-18BCC2.0...@news.t-online.de>

Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> spoke these staves:

> No. I'm not sure if those men are related to the Dunedain. But
> that would be accidental. It's a very ordinary thing, every man
> could make it.

9. Is it some kind garment or clothes?

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

Then suddenly the foresight of his kindred came to him, and
he said: "But lo! Master Elrond, the years of your abiding
run short at last, and the choice must soon be laid on your
children, to part either with you or with Middle-earth.
- Aragorn, /The Lord of the Rings/ (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Message has been deleted

Bill O'Meally

Nov 10, 2009, 12:52:58 AM11/10/09
Nautilus wrote:
> In article <Xns9CBEED26...@130.133.1.4>,
> No.

10. Is it a weapon?

--
Bill
"Wise fool."

Message has been deleted

Troels Forchhammer

Nov 10, 2009, 12:31:22 PM11/10/09
In message <news:me1-DD757F.1...@news.t-online.de> Nautilus
<m...@privacy.net> spoke these staves:

|: No, not a weapon either.

11. A tool, then (he asked desperately <GG>)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

The major problem [encountered in time travel] is quite
simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this
matter is Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's
Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations.
- Douglas Adams, /The Restaurant at the End of the Universe/

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 10, 2009, 3:02:06 PM11/10/09

> No, not a tool.

12. Is it mentioned in the main narrative of the LotR, as opposed to the
appendices?

Karasu.

Message has been deleted

Troels Forchhammer

Nov 10, 2009, 4:39:29 PM11/10/09
In message <news:me1-48C5C0.2...@news.t-online.de>

Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> spoke these staves:

|: The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from

> Yes, it's in the main narrative.

13. Is it of Rohirric manufacture?

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

A common mistake people make when trying to design
something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
ingenuity of complete fools.
- Douglas Adams, /Mostly Harmless/

Message has been deleted

Taemon

Nov 11, 2009, 3:51:39 AM11/11/09
Nautilus wrote:

> No, it's not Rohirric.

14. Is it made out of one piece of material or several?

T.

Message has been deleted

Taemon

Nov 11, 2009, 10:54:12 AM11/11/09
Nautilus wrote:

> Several. I don't want to mislead you, so I'll put it this way: Before
> production it consists mostly of a practically uncountable number of
> similar pieces, but when it is ready for use it looks mostly
> homogeneous. A bit of this and that is added in the making.

I really enjoy this one :-)

15. Is it meant for decoration?

T.

Message has been deleted

Öjevind Lång

Nov 11, 2009, 11:20:35 AM11/11/09
"Nautilus" <m...@privacy.net> skrev i meddelandet

> Some of the answers may sound better than the actual object :-)

>> 15. Is it meant for decoration?

> No, it serves a very practical purpose.

16. For protection?

�jevind

Message has been deleted

Taemon

Nov 11, 2009, 12:31:30 PM11/11/09
Nautilus wrote:

>>> No, it serves a very practical purpose.
>> 16. For protection?

> No. There are other things in the LOTR than war! My answer to
> question 14 almost gives the nature of the object away, I think.

That's what you think :-) I am thinking of a basket (or some such) but you
said you'd never do it so...

17. Is it found in a city?

T.

Troels Forchhammer

Nov 11, 2009, 12:54:28 PM11/11/09
In message <news:me1-44A8FD.1...@news.t-online.de>

Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> spoke these staves:

|: The object I have chosen comes more or less completely

> No. There are other things in the LOTR than war! My answer to
> question 14 almost gives the nature of the object away, I think.

Up until this answer, I had been sure it was the serpent-banner that
Th�oden chopped down before he died in the Battle of the Pelennor
Fields, but I'd say that that particular artefact is for both
decorative and war-like purposes, so not that. Back to the drawing
board ;-)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

We're leaving WISDOM
to starve and thirst
when we cultivate
KNOWLEDGE as such.
The very best comes
to the very worst
WHEN IGNORANTS
KNOW TOO MUCH.
- Piet Hein, /When Ignorants --/

Bill O'Meally

Nov 11, 2009, 1:41:31 PM11/11/09
Nautilus wrote:
> In article <7m06ioF...@mid.individual.net>,

> �jevind L�ng <bredba...@ojevind.lang> wrote:
>> 16. For protection?
> No. There are other things in the LOTR than war!

Well, to be fair he could have meant protection against the elements,
protective gear against rough terrain, etc.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Odysseus

Nov 11, 2009, 3:23:49 PM11/11/09
In article <me1-44A8FD.1...@news.t-online.de>,
Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> In article <7m06ioF...@mid.individual.net>,
> �jevind L�ng <bredba...@ojevind.lang> wrote:
>

> No. There are other things in the LOTR than war! My answer to
> question 14 almost gives the nature of the object away, I think.

17. Is it a food, something intended to be eaten?

--
Odysseus

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Troels Forchhammer

Nov 11, 2009, 4:41:26 PM11/11/09
In message <news:me1-6C331A.2...@news.t-online.de>

Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> spoke these staves:

|: The object I have chosen comes more or less

|: Yes!

Cram?

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <troelsfo(a)gmail.com>
Please put [AFT], [RABT] or 'Tolkien' in subject.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.
But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another
profound truth.
- Niels Bohr

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 12, 2009, 6:43:57 PM11/12/09

> |: 18.Cram?

> No.

19. The briefly mentioned object, is it west of the Misty Mountains?

Corbeau.

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 13, 2009, 9:51:15 AM11/13/09

> Neither west nor east would be the best answer.

Hm. Stumped. Unless it is ---
20. The crust that Saruman threatens to withhold from Gr�ma, from bread
possibly baked by Dunlendings, in the chapter Many Partings?

Rabe.

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 13, 2009, 3:02:01 PM11/13/09

> The place is right. But a lot more is eaten there and something else
> figures in the story of LOTR.

Hm. Perhaps you do not much like toasted bread ---
21. Is it the bread that Pippin toasts for the three Hunters (and Merry
and himself) in the beginning of the chapter Flotsam and Jetsam?

Voron.

Message has been deleted

Raven

Nov 13, 2009, 9:56:36 PM11/13/09

>> 21. Is it the bread that Pippin toasts for the three Hunters (and
>> Merry
>> and himself) in the beginning of the chapter Flotsam and Jetsam?

> YOU'VE GOT IT!!!
> Well done! Amazing how fast you came to the solution!

Still more slowly than you got the answer to my latest riddle, 21
questions versus 17.

I have done three of these 20 questions threads in a fairly short time.
I'll hang back and let someone else play next, unless the someone else
tarries too long.

Korppi.

Dirk Thierbach

Nov 14, 2009, 5:08:36 AM11/14/09
Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> "Raven" <jon.lennart.be...@mail.its.in.danmark> wrote:

|: The object I have chosen comes more or less completely from the
|: kingdom of plants. It is mentioned very briefly, but it stuck in
|: my mind because something is done to it that I never would have done.

|: 19. The briefly mentioned object, is it west of the Misty Mountains?

|: Neither west nor east would be the best answer.
|: Hm. Stumped. Unless it is ---

>> Hm. Perhaps you do not much like toasted bread ---

>> 21. Is it the bread that Pippin toasts for the three Hunters (and Merry
>> and himself) in the beginning of the chapter Flotsam and Jetsam?

> YOU'VE GOT IT!!!

> Well done! Amazing how fast you came to the solution!

> I'm not averse to toasted bread per se. But this loaf of bread is
> three or four days old. It must be dry and hard enough as it is,
> without toasting it.

I guessed Isengard from Q19, and was thinking about the toasted bread,
but then I dismissed that because I didn't consider toasting it something
out of the ordinary. And yes, it's perfectly fine to toast bread that's
three or four days old, and it tastes quite good -- assuming we're
talking about real bread, and not that white flabby stuff they call bread
in some countries :-)

But well done, it took more than 20 questions even with the rather
descriptive answers. I think originally the idea of the game was that
only yes/no answers are allowed, wasn't it?

- Dirk

Message has been deleted

Taemon

Nov 14, 2009, 7:20:26 AM11/14/09
Nautilus wrote:

>>> YOU'VE GOT IT!!!
>>> Well done! Amazing how fast you came to the solution!

Yeah. We didn't even got to ask the breadbox-question.

T.

Message has been deleted

Taemon

Nov 14, 2009, 11:21:40 AM11/14/09
Nautilus wrote:

> In article <hdm7a2$60g$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

> "Taemon" <Tae...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
>> Yeah. We didn't even got to ask the breadbox-question.

> I've been waiting for that question all the time. :-)

What would you have answered?

T.

Dirk Thierbach

Nov 14, 2009, 9:23:19 AM11/14/09

I think the "can it be lifted and carried by one person question" is
just a variation of that.

- Dirk

Message has been deleted

Tamf Moo

Nov 14, 2009, 2:40:14 PM11/14/09
On 14/11/09 10:08, Dirk Thierbach wrote:

> I guessed Isengard from Q19, and was thinking about the toasted bread,
> but then I dismissed that because I didn't consider toasting it something
> out of the ordinary. And yes, it's perfectly fine to toast bread that's
> three or four days old, and it tastes quite good -- assuming we're
> talking about real bread, and not that white flabby stuff they call bread
> in some countries :-)

i concur. toasting totally revitalises bread that has gone a bit hard
and stale. and if you toast it a bit too much, you simply get
crispbread, which is not a bad thing at all.

if you toast it much too much, you get charcoal, which i'm sure might
occasionally be welcome as well...

> But well done, it took more than 20 questions even with the rather
> descriptive answers. I think originally the idea of the game was that
> only yes/no answers are allowed, wasn't it?

i'm back from an enforced absence (my chameleon went on strike), and
enjoyed reading through the rather chatty answers in this round. feel
free to keep that up, future answerers!

--
tamf

I see two Gandalfs and church bell. And two half lions chasing
a bull rat each over the lake. (Rorschach tests seen by "Illogic")

Message has been deleted

Steve Morrison

Nov 14, 2009, 3:40:22 PM11/14/09
Nautilus wrote:
> In article <hdmlec$fpv$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Maybe just yes or no, depending on the question. Maybe "by a hair"
> (if the question had been "smaller") or "I hope not" (if the question
> had been "bigger").

You know, that raises a meta-question: is the traditional
"breadbox question" supposed to be "Is it bigger than a
breadbox" or "Is it smaller than a breadbox"? I've always
understood it to be the former, but most people here seem to
take it as the latter! Is it different in languages where
"bigger" and "breadbox" don't alliterate, or do other English
speakers ask "smaller"? Inquiring minds want to know...

Dirk Thierbach

Nov 14, 2009, 4:08:01 PM11/14/09
Nautilus <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> In article <7m8fchF...@mid.individual.net>,

> Tamf Moo <liddle...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > I guessed Isengard from Q19, and was thinking about the toasted bread,
>> > but then I dismissed that because I didn't consider toasting it something
>> > out of the ordinary. And yes, it's perfectly fine to toast bread that's
>> > three or four days old, and it tastes quite good -- assuming we're
>> > talking about real bread, and not that white flabby stuff they call bread
>> > in some countries :-)

>> i concur. toasting totally revitalises bread that has gone a bit hard
>> and stale. and if you toast it a bit too much, you simply get
>> crispbread, which is not a bad thing at all.

> Hm, I've had different experiences. Of course the nature of the bread
> (or pseudo-bread) plays a big role. But still: heating will drive
> some moisture out.

Yes, but that's usually not a problem if the bread isn't already dry.
Which means you shouldn't keep the bread outside, always keep it sealed
from air (breadbox :-), or whatever). Bread made from sourdough
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough, but there's better pictures
in http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerteig) keeps good for at least a
week. It tastes best if eaten really fresh from the baker, our toasted
after 3-4 days. When toasted, it becomes a bit crispy on the outside,
but it's still moist enough on the inside, and you get the extra flavour
from the toasting process. Really yummy. For some reason, it actually
doesn't taste as well when toasted fresh.

With white bread, it's probably hopeless after two days or so, unless
your breadbox keeps the moisture really well.

> I use a common toaster. Is that a mistake too?

Nope, common toaster works fine.

- Dirk

Raven

Nov 14, 2009, 9:30:30 PM11/14/09
"Steve Morrison" <rim...@toast.net> skrev i meddelelsen

> You know, that raises a meta-question: is the traditional
> "breadbox question" supposed to be "Is it bigger than a
> breadbox" or "Is it smaller than a breadbox"?

I would understand it to be "can it be put into a breadbox?". That is
not the same as "is it bigger than a loaf of bread", since more than one can
typically be fit into a breadbox.

Hrafn.

Morgoth's Curse

Nov 30, 2009, 12:04:43 PM11/30/09
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:40:14 +0000, Tamf Moo <liddle...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>i'm back from an enforced absence (my chameleon went on strike), and
>enjoyed reading through the rather chatty answers in this round. feel
>free to keep that up, future answerers!

What did your chameleon demand and how long did the strike last? Was
the strike successfully resolved or was arbitration necessary? Which
would be more suitable as an arbitrator: an iguana or a gecko?

Morgoth's Curse

Tamf Moo

Dec 2, 2009, 6:19:14 AM12/2/09
On 30/11/09 17:04, Morgoth's Curse wrote:

[Tamf Moo]

>> i'm back from an enforced absence (my chameleon went on strike), and

> What did your chameleon demand and how long did the strike last?

a nice tartan set, on account of the penguin's tuxedo. i held that
camouflaging in a tartan would lead to head- and shell-ache, but the
chameleon insisted.

> Was
> the strike successfully resolved or was arbitration necessary?

i actually went and got me a gnu one.

> Which
> would be more suitable as an arbitrator: an iguana or a gecko?

a bearded dragon? that one would certainly have style on its side.