Some little questions

Patrick Yip

Apr 12, 1991, 11:07:51 AM4/12/91
I have got two questions which I longed to ask for a long time:

1) In the manga by Rumiko Takahashi, I noticed numerous times of appearances
of the hand sign in which only the thumb, forefinger and tail finger are
stretched out. It usually appears when the character is surprised or
get hit. Does anyone know any meaning of this hand-sign? I have a feeling
that it might have a connection with baseball...

2) There is a word which happens in manga quite often -- 'Ecchi' in
katakana. It is 'H' in English and it means sth like pervert.
But I don't know the connection between H and pervert. Does anyone
know about the origin of the use of character H to mean pervert
in Japanese?

Patrick

Oxon Eng

Chih-Ping Kuo

Apr 13, 1991, 5:09:37 AM4/13/91
In article <15...@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk> p...@robots.oxford.ac.uk (Patrick Yip) writes:
>I have got two questions which I longed to ask for a long time:
>
>1) In the manga by Rumiko Takahashi, I noticed numerous times of appearances
> of the hand sign in which only the thumb, forefinger and tail finger are
> stretched out. It usually appears when the character is surprised or
> get hit. Does anyone know any meaning of this hand-sign?

well, Japanese like to imitate western culture, this being one of them.
You know, being cool, had the hair greased, wear leather jacket and
dark glass, etc.

It used to be the V sign (fore and center fingers), however, that went
out of style a while ago, and the thumb/fore/tail fingers is the new
rages of Japanese culture, you know, when people had their picture
taken they will make a pose and stick out their fingers....

I really believe the sign come from America. there is a different
version of it with only the fore/tail fingers but w/o the thumb, it's
the sign of bull's horns and the catholic consider it the sign of devil,
you know, with bulls and old bible back in the day of Moses, but
that is a completely different story. Hardrocker and heavy metal
fans should know what I am talking about.

(BTW, it is also the sign of Texas Long Horns Univ. figures.)

>2) There is a word which happens in manga quite often -- 'Ecchi' in
> katakana. It is 'H' in English and it means sth like pervert.
> But I don't know the connection between H and pervert. Does anyone
> know about the origin of the use of character H to mean pervert
> in Japanese?

hmmm, I always thought H has the same meaning as Sukebe,
pervert, etc. Japanese like to shorten and abbr things, like fam-con,
hom-com, etc. H is just the abbr of English of a Katakana word
that means pervert in Japanese? someone helps us out here.
(Mark,Dan Albert,Hitoshi want to join in? :)

k...@sumax.seattleu.edu "Flitting, flitting, what am I like?
standard disclaimer applied but a sand-snipe in the wide, wide world!"

Dan Su

Apr 13, 1991, 11:20:15 PM4/13/91
In article <26...@sumax.seattleu.edu> k...@sumax.seattleu.edu (Chih-Ping Kuo) writes:
>In article <15...@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk> p...@robots.oxford.ac.uk (Patrick Yip) writes:
>>2) There is a word which happens in manga quite often -- 'Ecchi' in
>> katakana. It is 'H' in English and it means sth like pervert.
>> But I don't know the connection between H and pervert. Does anyone
>> know about the origin of the use of character H to mean pervert
>> in Japanese?
>
>hmmm, I always thought H has the same meaning as Sukebe,
>pervert, etc. Japanese like to shorten and abbr things, like fam-con,
>hom-com, etc. H is just the abbr of English of a Katakana word
>that means pervert in Japanese? someone helps us out here.
>(Mark,Dan Albert,Hitoshi want to join in? :)

I always thought that they used the English letter 'H' simply because it
sounds just like "etchi". Anyways, that's just my guess. I could be wrong.

-Dan Su
da...@ocf.berkeley.edu

dav...@ocf.berkeley.edu

Apr 14, 1991, 5:40:59 AM4/14/91
If my memory serves me correctly, I asked the origin of the word "H" to a
Japanese girl (Wakana-san, who did some Maison & Sazan manga proof-reads),
and she told me it stands for "Horny." I'd believe her except everyone else
is telling me it comes from 'hentai." From three years of anime/manga
experiences, however, I don't think they are used interchangably.

"H" was used in manga O.R. so often it almost became Kyosuke's middle name.
There's one episode where he hypnotized himself into a sex fiend whenever he
hears the word "H". Just so happens that he was doing homework with Madoka
and he ran out of lead for his pencil, so she offers him a ........

Getting back to the subject. Being "H" is healthy. Being "hentai" is not.
A guy who reads Playboy is "H". If he steals women's underwears and wears
them on his head, then he's a "hentai". "H" is alt.sex and "hentai" is
alt.sex.bondage. Any questions?

This is not the first time someone asked this question. Whatever the answer
turns out, put it on anime FAQL. IF (H=hentai) THEN (I'll be darned!).

d.n.a.b. studio 3x3 o o

"dave no(-longer) anime berkeley"