Lupin III-TV among others lisenced by Pioneer Entertainment!

Sany van Tran

May 27, 2002, 1:06:33 PM5/27/02
Sup all,

in a surprising move, Pioneer Ent. USA seems have to obtain
theatrical, video and tv broadcasting rights to all 228 TV-episodes of
the old Lupin III tv-series (well all 3 of them that is ;), the 4
specials which are not included in the deal with FUNimation and one
movie as of May 27th. TMS Entertainment, the Japanese lisence holder,
hopes that Pioneer can sell at least the TV series to one of the US
broadcasting stations.

for more details, just wait for ANS and Natsume Maya. ;)

cheers,
Sany

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

May 27, 2002, 2:47:02 PM5/27/02
On 27 May 2002, Sany van Tran wrote:

> Sup all,
>
> in a surprising move, Pioneer Ent. USA seems have to obtain
> theatrical, video and tv broadcasting rights to all 228 TV-episodes of
> the old Lupin III tv-series (well all 3 of them that is ;), the 4
> specials which are not included in the deal with FUNimation and one
> movie as of May 27th. TMS Entertainment, the Japanese lisence holder,
> hopes that Pioneer can sell at least the TV series to one of the US
> broadcasting stations.

Idiots. ;-)
If they were gonna do this,
why'd they wait for FUNimation to get some movies,
just a bit ahead of them?
Did FUNimation show anything about
the viability of a Lupin release in NA? Not really.
If Pioneer was gonna release all those TV eps, specials,
and movies anyway, then just a few more
(that FUNimation eventually got) shouldn't have delayed them.
Sometimes, it seems, these NA companies are too frozen to act
till somebody else made the first gesture and by then it's too late.
So now, we have another title that's split. -_-
(However, I note that I know not the behind-the-scenes details
that may have played into this.)

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | U of Rochester cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Wayne S. Rossi

May 27, 2002, 6:19:08 PM5/27/02
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.40.0205271433570.1008-100000@roundtable>...

> Idiots. ;-)
> If they were gonna do this,
> why'd they wait for FUNimation to get some movies,
> just a bit ahead of them?
> Did FUNimation show anything about
> the viability of a Lupin release in NA? Not really.
> If Pioneer was gonna release all those TV eps, specials,
> and movies anyway, then just a few more
> (that FUNimation eventually got) shouldn't have delayed them.
> Sometimes, it seems, these NA companies are too frozen to act
> till somebody else made the first gesture and by then it's too late.
> So now, we have another title that's split. -_-
> (However, I note that I know not the behind-the-scenes details
> that may have played into this.)

Quite frankly...by comparison to the TV series, most of the specials
bought by FUNimation are crap. Walther P-38 is a decent action movie,
but it's just not Lupin. Tokyo Crisis was decent because it had
little plays on the formula (such as Jigen and Goemon running at less
than full efficiency), but for the most part it's pure 100% repetition
on the same uninspired pseudo-Bond formula. Dead or Alive is the only
decent movie post-Cagliostro, and even that had touches of the formula
cropping up again.

Despite having better animation in the TV specials, the products
Pioneer will be putting out are just plain better. And once they get
to Shin Lupin III (1977-1980 series) even that will level out a bit.
Though by reputation and comparison with Legend of the Gold of Babylon
I really don't want to think about the 3rd series, you can bet that
the TV episodes Pioneer puts out will be the pound-for-pound better
anime than all the stuff FUNimation is releasing now.

Don't believe me? Watch the fansubbed tape that's floating around of
eps 1, 66, 99, and 108 of Shin Lupin III, and then tell me that even
one of the TV specials of the '90s is close to them in quality. Or
watch eps 1, 2, and 4 of the original series...or 18, 19, 21, and
especially 22. Nothing done since Cagliostro even compares.

Can't say Pioneer is getting the worse end of the releases.

-Wayne

Steve Harrison

May 27, 2002, 11:07:47 PM5/27/02
In article <9709d557.02052...@posting.google.com>,

Ahem.....

*plotz*

God, take me now, I think I've seen all the miracles I'm allowed for one
lifetime.... :)

(oh, wait, don't take me yet, there's still a handful of other shows
needing to be brought to the US....)

Steve's Offical Anime Olde Pharte prediction?

First series Lupin III will be a *big* hit with fans, *AS LONG* as the
scripting is tight and there's Cowboy Bebop quality ADR work and actors...

Pioneer will balk with releasing 'new' Lupin III, aka the second series
due to the huge number...so they'll try to release 'best of' discs,
cherry-picking episodes at random, which will have uneven sales..and there
are *some* episodes they just won't know how to deal with at all....

Lupin III part 3 is no bigger in size than FY, and hopefully they'll have
learned from the problems of dealing with the second series to make 2 (25
episodes each) box sets, and just get it done.

That 'one movie' I'm guessing is Lupin III, aka 'Mystery of Mamo', AKA
'Lupin Vs the Clone'....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Pioneer, no matter what you
do, have the 'JAL dub' of the movie as an alternate English Language
track...that's one of the BEST dub jobs ever and it prefectly captured the
characters....

OK, I'm done.... :)
--
I've been forced to spam-trap my edress.
To email me enter 'tochiro at ix dot netcom dot com' in your 'to' field.

Invid Fan

May 28, 2002, 7:51:33 AM5/28/02
In article
<noUBE-27050...@sdn-ap-002ilchicp0171.dialsprint.net>, Steve
Harrison <no...@my.com> wrote:

> That 'one movie' I'm guessing is Lupin III, aka 'Mystery of Mamo', AKA
> 'Lupin Vs the Clone'....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Pioneer, no matter what you
> do, have the 'JAL dub' of the movie as an alternate English Language
> track...that's one of the BEST dub jobs ever and it prefectly captured the
> characters....
>
> OK, I'm done.... :)

Is that different from the Streamline dub already released on dvd? I
know Macek did dubs for JAL (Totoro, etc), but if the Lupin one was
done at the time of the films release he obviously wasn't involved :)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Steve Harrison

May 28, 2002, 11:57:06 AM5/28/02
In article <280520020751337947%in...@localnet.com>, Invid Fan
<in...@localnet.com> wrote:

>In article
><noUBE-27050...@sdn-ap-002ilchicp0171.dialsprint.net>, Steve
>Harrison <no...@my.com> wrote:
>
>> That 'one movie' I'm guessing is Lupin III, aka 'Mystery of Mamo', AKA
>> 'Lupin Vs the Clone'....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Pioneer, no matter what you
>> do, have the 'JAL dub' of the movie as an alternate English Language
>> track...that's one of the BEST dub jobs ever and it prefectly captured the
>> characters....
>>
>> OK, I'm done.... :)
>
>Is that different from the Streamline dub already released on dvd? I
>know Macek did dubs for JAL (Totoro, etc), but if the Lupin one was
>done at the time of the films release he obviously wasn't involved :)

Yes, very very different.... (and FYI, the Streamline Mamo is no longer in
print, part of that whole Orion Pictures bankruptcy thing...unless Image
found a way to keep the rights...anyway...)

The original English dub of Mamo was done....ummm...well, sometime before
1982, and there's *still* a great mystery about it. I *know* it was an
offical thing, because the film print was loaned to the old C/FO way back
in the day by TMS, and....somehow...well... ;)

But from what I can tell, if you ask anyone at TMS about this movie today,
you get a blank stare, as if it didn't exist. *Speculation* has it the dub
was done for Japan Air Lines (JAL) for their overseas flights, my thinking
is more along the lines it's part of that whole 'Toho is dubbing anime
movies to try and sell overseas' thing that was going on from '79 to about
'85 (which resulted in those dubs of the Macross movie, My Youth in
Arcadia, the Cyborg 009 movie, the Baldios movie, Dagger of Kamui, etc),
because it has some of the same 'earmarks'...

Voices you've heard in countless bad dubbed Kung fu movies being the key.

but where the dubs of the Macross movie and Dagger of Kamui were
*horrid*...something just *clicked* with Lupin/Mamo...the actors were
pretty much *all* dead on perfect! I've said in the past "it's like the
Japanese actors were speaking perfect, natural English" and I still stick
with that. The one chancy part is the scripting is a bit too literal in
the translation, making some of the dialog forced and awkward...*but* the
thing is, the actors were *acting*, not just reading the script, and there
wasn't blind, mindless attempt to make perfect lipsynch...

It was really, really good. It was my seeing this movie at the 1982
Capricon in Chicago that made Lupin III one of my fav anime series. I
would *love* for the story of this dub to show up as liner notes, if this
is the movie that Pioneer got...

how's that? :)

Chris Sobieniak

May 28, 2002, 2:31:59 PM5/28/02
On Tue, May 28, 2002, 11:57am, no...@my.com (Steve Harrison) wrote:
>Yes, very very different.... (and FYI, the Streamline
>Mamo is no longer in print, part of that whole Orion
>Pictures bankruptcy thing...unless Image found a
>way to keep the rights...anyway...)

Perhaps, at least a few years back.

>The original English dub of Mamo was
>done....ummm...well, sometime before 1982, and
>there's *still* a great mystery about it. I *know* it
>was an offical thing, because the film print was
>loaned to the old C/FO way back in the day by
>TMS, and....somehow...well... ;)

It's a big mystery that's what.

>But from what I can tell, if you ask anyone at TMS
>about this movie today, you get a blank stare, as if
>it didn't exist. *Speculation* has it the dub was
>done for Japan Air Lines (JAL) for their overseas
>flights, my thinking is more along the lines it's part
>of that whole 'Toho is dubbing anime movies to try
>and sell overseas' thing that was going on from '79
>to about '85 (which resulted in those dubs of the
>Macross movie, My Youth in Arcadia, the Cyborg
>009 movie, the Baldios movie, Dagger of Kamui,
>etc), because it has some of the same 'earmarks'...

Which pretty much wind up being picked up by distributors like Peregine
Film Distribution (noticed their credit for having also try to
distribute "Monster A Go-Go"), who thought they could get the films
released somehow, resulting in edited videos released through
Celebrity's Just For Kids label in the late '80s. There was also a
subsequent release of these films supposibly unedited in the early '90s
though Best Film & Video Corp.

>Voices you've heard in countless bad dubbed Kung
>fu movies being the key.

At least they didn't became the mainstay of indie UHF saturday afternoon
television for the '80s. ^_^

>but where the dubs of the Macross movie and
>Dagger of Kamui were *horrid*...something just
>*clicked* with Lupin/Mamo...the actors were pretty
>much *all* dead on perfect! I've said in the past
>"it's like the Japanese actors were speaking
>perfect, natural English" and I still stick with that.
>The one chancy part is the scripting is a bit too
>literal in the translation, making some of the dialog
>forced and awkward...*but* the thing is, the actors
>were *acting*, not just reading the script, and there
>wasn't blind, mindless attempt to make perfect

>ipsynch...

Oddly, I remember seeing something like this also pop up in the creation
of "Cliff Hanger", the laser disc video game from around '83. Apart
from clips taken from Cagliostro (with somehow horribly overdubbed VAs
to the Japanese audio), there was also a sequence used from the previous
Lupin III film that sounded like it was taken from the JAL/TOHO dub.
Guessing that was what Stern Electronics got to use anyway.

>It was really, really good. It was my seeing this
>movie at the 1982 Capricon in Chicago that made
>Lupin III one of my fav anime series. I would *love*
>for the story of this dub to show up as liner notes,

>of this is the movie that Pioneer got...
>how's that? :)

>    Steve H.   Yamato Guru/Keeper of the
>Matsumotoverse

Would be neat!

Domo Arigatoo Gozaimasu!

From the Master of Car-too-nal Knowledge...
Christopher M. Sobieniak

--"Fightin' the Frizzies since 1978"--

Kaitou Juliet

May 28, 2002, 4:48:06 PM5/28/02
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote ...

> Sometimes, it seems, these NA companies are too frozen to act
> till somebody else made the first gesture and by then it's too late.
> So now, we have another title that's split. -_-

It was already split, since AnimEigo has Fuma Conspiracy and (IIRC)
Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

Juliet

Kaitou Juliet

May 28, 2002, 4:51:24 PM5/28/02
no...@my.com (Steve Harrison) wrote ...

> That 'one movie' I'm guessing is Lupin III, aka 'Mystery of Mamo', AKA
> 'Lupin Vs the Clone'....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Pioneer, no matter what you
> do, have the 'JAL dub' of the movie as an alternate English Language
> track...that's one of the BEST dub jobs ever and it prefectly captured the
> characters....

I guess it takes all kinds. I hated hated hated hated "Mystery of
Mamo"--it really turned me off Lupin, after I'd been spoiled by
Cagliostro and Fuma. >_<

I don't remember whether I watched the sub or the dub, though.

Juliet

Derek Janssen

May 28, 2002, 5:42:34 PM5/28/02
Kaitou Juliet wrote:

> > That 'one movie' I'm guessing is Lupin III, aka 'Mystery of Mamo', AKA
> > 'Lupin Vs the Clone'....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Pioneer, no matter what you
> > do, have the 'JAL dub' of the movie as an alternate English Language
> > track...that's one of the BEST dub jobs ever and it prefectly captured the
> > characters....
>
> I guess it takes all kinds. I hated hated hated hated "Mystery of
> Mamo"--it really turned me off Lupin, after I'd been spoiled by
> Cagliostro and Fuma. >_<

Glad to know I'm not the only one so far in the last three years who's
hated MoM, and not just because of the dub--
I still haven't the faintest idea what plot that Paul Williams guy was
trying to hatch, and to this day, every time I try to give it the
benefit of the doubt, I STILL manage somehow not to be curious.

Maybe "Cagliostro" spoiled me for other Lupins, but "Cagliostro" had the
car chase. : /

Derek Janssend
dja...@ultranet.com

Steve Harrison

May 28, 2002, 5:54:38 PM5/28/02
In article <23317-3CF...@storefull-2394.public.lawson.webtv.net>,
chrism...@webtv.net (Chris Sobieniak) wrote:

>>The original English dub of Mamo was
>>done....ummm...well, sometime before 1982, and
>>there's *still* a great mystery about it. I *know* it
>>was an offical thing, because the film print was
>>loaned to the old C/FO way back in the day by
>>TMS, and....somehow...well... ;)
>
>It's a big mystery that's what.

(shhhh! I was trying not to discuss how that film print magically got run
thru a film chain, resulting in copies on videotape
that....well....um....ya know....not that I....you see... ;) )

>>But from what I can tell, if you ask anyone at TMS
>>about this movie today, you get a blank stare, as if
>>it didn't exist. *Speculation* has it the dub was
>>done for Japan Air Lines (JAL) for their overseas
>>flights, my thinking is more along the lines it's part
>>of that whole 'Toho is dubbing anime movies to try
>>and sell overseas' thing that was going on from '79
>>to about '85 (which resulted in those dubs of the
>>Macross movie, My Youth in Arcadia, the Cyborg
>>009 movie, the Baldios movie, Dagger of Kamui,
>>etc), because it has some of the same 'earmarks'...

>Which pretty much wind up being picked up by distributors like Peregine
>Film Distribution (noticed their credit for having also try to
>distribute "Monster A Go-Go"), who thought they could get the films
>released somehow, resulting in edited videos released through
>Celebrity's Just For Kids label in the late '80s. There was also a
>subsequent release of these films supposibly unedited in the early '90s
>though Best Film & Video Corp.

Correct! Man, I do like it when someone connects the dots.... Best Film
and video *did* have the unedited versions on tape, I have copies of the
full length dub of My Youth in Arcadia, Dagger of Kamui and the Cyborg 009
movie in my collection...I missed out on the Macross movie, I *should*
have bought it but man, I just couldn't...couldn't deal with those
voices...

I had a hunch, back in the day, that the edited dubs that were released
were 'post dubbing' cuts due to the way events in the cut parts were
sometimes referred to...and as you know from the above I was proved
correct... :)

so here's another speculation, totally unfounded with no real way to
confirm or deny, but I have a hunch, a *hunch* that that dub of Naussica
that was released...'Warriors of the Wind' was part of the same package,
and had the same treatment...that is, it was a 'post dubbing' cutting of a
full length dub job, and *somewhere* in either Toho's or Ghibli's vault it
sits, and *nobody* has ever asked about it because they've *assumed* the
cutting and dubbing was done by that releasing company...rather than my
idea that they bought an existing dub and cut to fit their ideas. Just
like Peregine did....

(hmmm..that has me wondering about the Roger Corman Galaxy Express 999 dub
now...hmmmm)

No way to know, of course, no way to actually ask the folks in Japan, and
I'm sure some of the more....ummm...rabid Ghibli fans will instantly
knee-jerk and say bad things, but I think the thoughful ones will actually
pause....and consider....and maybe find a way to investigate.... :)

(not that I'd think an uncut version of Naussica, using the WotW
script/names/actors is that good a thing, but it has historical value,
just as the JAL dub of Lupin/Mamo with its 'Dan Dunn' and 'the Samurai'
and 'Ed Scott' has some historical value...OK?)

--
I've been forced to spam-trap my edress.
To email me enter 'tochiro at ix dot netcom dot com' in your 'to' field.
I apologize in advance for making communication less easy.

Invid Fan

May 28, 2002, 7:03:36 PM5/28/02
In article
<noUBE-28050...@sdn-ap-003ilchicp0031.dialsprint.net>, Steve
Harrison <no...@my.com> wrote:

> Correct! Man, I do like it when someone connects the dots.... Best Film
> and video *did* have the unedited versions on tape, I have copies of the
> full length dub of My Youth in Arcadia, Dagger of Kamui and the Cyborg 009
> movie in my collection...I missed out on the Macross movie, I *should*
> have bought it but man, I just couldn't...couldn't deal with those
> voices...
>
> I had a hunch, back in the day, that the edited dubs that were released
> were 'post dubbing' cuts due to the way events in the cut parts were
> sometimes referred to...and as you know from the above I was proved
> correct... :)

For the same reason, I assume that the butchered dub Voyager released
of Farewell to Yamato was edited post-dub. Either that, or nobody
bothered to change the script to delete references to the deleted
segments :)

Chris Sobieniak

May 29, 2002, 1:15:50 AM5/29/02
On Tue, May 28, 2002, 7:03pm, in...@localnet.com (Invid Fan) wrote:
>In article
><noUBE-2805021754380001@sdn-ap-003ilchicp0
>31.dialsprint.net>, Steve Harrison
>>I had a hunch, back in the day, that the edited
>>dubs that were released were 'post dubbing' cuts
>>due to the way events in the cut parts were
>>sometimes referred to...and as you know from the
>>above I was proved correct... :)
>For the same reason, I assume that the butchered
>dub Voyager released of Farewell to Yamato was
>edited post-dub. Either that, or nobody bothered to
>change the script to delete references to the
>deleted segments :)
>--
>Chris Mack

We never did find out who volunteered in this case! ^_^

Haven't seen this one yet, but saw clips from Corn Pone Flick's "Bad
American Dubbing" tapes. The adapted dialogue was just atrocious!
Mistaking a comet for a quasar, using tame words like "zapping", and
mistakening characters for someone else.

Chris Sobieniak

May 29, 2002, 1:10:56 AM5/29/02
On Tue, May 28, 2002, 5:54pm, no...@my.com (Steve Harrison) wrote:
>>It's a big mystery that's what.
>(shhhh! I was trying not to discuss how that film
>print magically got run thru a film chain, resulting
>in copies on videotape that....well....um....ya
>know....not that I....you see... ;) )

And thus, bootlegs were born!

>Correct! Man, I do like it when someone connects
>the dots....

Thanks, I like to keep up on my esoterical knowledge about these things.

>Best Film and video *did* have the
>unedited versions on tape, I have copies of the full
>length dub of My Youth in Arcadia, Dagger of
>Kamui and the Cyborg 009 movie in my
>collection..

You're lucky, I just got a 2nd gen copy of "Phoenix 2772". Most of what
I got are the edited Just For Kids copies I picked up. I just don't
like the fact that these tapes are in EP speed otherwise. Saw a copy of
"Blade of Kamui" at a FYE nearby, but don't feel like forking over
$19.99 for it. (BF&V at least gave these tapes more proper names)

>I missed out on the Macross movie, I *should*
>have bought it but man, I just couldn't...couldn't
>deal with those voices...

Ditto! I took back the crappy "Clash of the Bionoids" for the same
reason (also since they edit much of the action out too). It's like
they were going for more TV distribution on those films by making them
roughly 90 minutes long.

>I had a hunch, back in the day, that the edited
>dubs that were released were 'post dubbing' cuts
>due to the way events in the cut parts were
>sometimes referred to...and as you know from the
>above I was proved correct... :)

You're correct here.

>so here's another speculation, totally unfounded
>with no real way to confirm or deny, but I have a
>hunch, a *hunch* that that dub of Naussica that
>was released...'Warriors of the Wind' was part of
>the same package, and had the same
>treatment...that is, it was a 'post dubbing' cutting
>of a full length dub job, and *somewhere* in either
>Toho's or Ghibli's vault it sits, and *nobody* has
>ever asked about it because they've *assumed* the
>cutting and dubbing was done by that releasing
>company...rather than my idea that they bought an
>existing dub and cut to fit their ideas. Just like
>Peregine did....

Now this is a big mystery. I don't think Toho distributed this film
(Tokuma did I think), and I don't think Ghibli was ever informed that it
happened either (at the time, the studio was originally named "Top
Craft" though I think it was a totally different studio from what would
be Ghilbi afterwards).

For WotW to be dubbed before the final cut, that might hold some
speculation over the whereabouts of that lost footage or any recordings
made to the cut scenes. New World wasn't in the mood to really keep
anything intact (especially after Galaxy Express 999), so it's also hard
to say what happened in this case. I like to think it's the other way
around, and some stupid editor just cut out what he didn't like, and
that was dubbed afterwards.

>(hmmm..that has me wondering about the Roger
>Corman Galaxy Express 999 dub now...hmmmm)

Again, there's the stinger! I like to think it was done the same way
too. Unless we don't find a lead to this one who might give us the
details, we don't know for sure, it might be dumb to talk to one of the
VAs on this however (as if Corey Burton or B.J. Ward know what they were
getting into themselves), the only one probably responsible is "Skip
Schoolnik" the US editor spotted int he opening credits. Only Roger
Corman knows for sure (if he has have a brain about it)!

>No way to know, of course, no way to actually ask
>the folks in Japan, and I'm sure some of the
>more....ummm...rabid Ghibli fans will instantly
>knee-jerk and say bad things, but I think the
>thoughful ones will actually pause....and
>consider....and maybe find a way to investigate....
>:)

This is one of those that has no easy or plausible answers.

>(not that I'd think an uncut version of Naussica,
>using the WotW script/names/actors is that good a
>thing, but it has historical value, just as the JAL
>dub of Lupin/Mamo with its 'Dan Dunn' and 'the
>Samurai' and 'Ed Scott' has some historical
>value...OK?)

Surprised they went with these names. We should be grateful Lupin's
name is now safe to use these days than it was in the early '90s. Wolf
and Rupan just get in the way too much. Though I was surprised the R2
release of Cagliostro in Japan contains the Streamline Pictures English
dub anyway!

>    Steve H.   Yamato Guru/Keeper of the
>Matsumotoverse

It would be on interest if something like that was done. Though Ghibli
would probably like to forget such a version ever existed, as they've
stated previously of their distrust in not being in on the details when
it was picked up in the US.

To me, I'd probably buy it the day Nausicaa finally gets a DVD release
in Japan. For this to be done perfectly, Ghibli would have to release
it around 2004 to coincide with the film's 20th anniversary. I would
kill for a copy if they really go all out on it, like the previous
Ghibli DVD's available (thought of remastering it for a 5.1 soundtrack
doesn't seem out of the question if it's possible).

If they ever do consider brining up about the WotW version, seen in a
good number of countries as well, it would probably only be for hsitoric
reference, and not something Ghibli would condone as the "real thing".

Wayne S. Rossi

May 29, 2002, 9:48:13 AM5/29/02
kaitou...@yahoo.com (Kaitou Juliet) wrote in message news:<25318131.02052...@posting.google.com>...

Streamline originally had Mystery of Mamo, Castle of Cagliostro, and
two Miyazaki-directed episodes of New Lupin (#145 Albatross: Wings of
Death and #155 Aloha Lupin were released separately as Tales of the
Wolf and on one tape as Lupin III's Greatest Capers"). AnimEigo has
the regrettable Legend of the Gold of Babylon and the decent Fuma
Conspiracy. Manga picked up Castle of Cagliostro, and the DVD has
some great picture but could've used a director's commentary track
(their release of Royal Space Force/Wings of Honneamise had one) or
other Lupin-related extras. FUNimation has a mess of the mediocre TV
specials--probably starting with Dark Order of Assassination, though I
pity them if they bought Napoleon's Dictionary...I forget, do they
have Die Nostradamus and Dead or Alive? (DoA was a good movie, and
would be one of their best DVD selections.) And now Pioneer has the 3
TV series. That's good...I'll be looking forward to seeing DVDs of
the original series and New Lupin. Lupin is split quite badly, I
think, but I'm hoping that the first two TV series catch on. They're
probably the most reliably entertaining entries in the Lupin III
franchise (except, of course, Castle of Cagliostro).

-Wayne

Kaitou Juliet

May 29, 2002, 5:16:14 PM5/29/02
kaitou...@yahoo.com (Kaitou Juliet) wrote ...

> no...@my.com (Steve Harrison) wrote ...
>
> > That 'one movie' I'm guessing is Lupin III, aka 'Mystery of Mamo', AKA
> > 'Lupin Vs the Clone'....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Pioneer, no matter what you
> > do, have the 'JAL dub' of the movie as an alternate English Language
> > track...that's one of the BEST dub jobs ever and it prefectly captured the
> > characters....
>
> I guess it takes all kinds. I hated hated hated hated "Mystery of
> Mamo"--it really turned me off Lupin, after I'd been spoiled by
> Cagliostro and Fuma. >_<

Having read further in the thread, I'm getting the distinct impression
that Steve was being sarcastic and the JAL dub is actually horrible?
(I still wouldn't watch Mystery of Mamo again, though, even to see a
hilariously bad dub.)

Juliet

Invid Fan

May 29, 2002, 5:24:23 PM5/29/02
In article <25318131.02052...@posting.google.com>, Kaitou
Juliet <kaitou...@yahoo.com> wrote:

No, I've heard of this dub before. The film itself might be horrible,
but apparently whoever did the dub had the perfect cast.

Steve Harrison

May 29, 2002, 11:32:32 PM5/29/02
In article <25318131.02052...@posting.google.com>,
kaitou...@yahoo.com (Kaitou Juliet) wrote:

Oh, no, no, I am sorry if I gave that impression.....the dub job for Mamo
is just astonishing in how *good* it is....the voices are dead on perfect!
thing is, I've heard some of them in more recent Hong Kong dub jobs, so
I'm thinking it's some LA studio with a set cast of actors...*man* I wish
there was a way to dig into this more....that's the kind of job the old
C/FO should have done, but...well...politics and all.

Were I in charge of the Lupin III project at Pioneer, I would move heaven
and earth to find these people and the ADR director and give them years of
work... :)

OK...the guy who did Goemon's voice ( The Samurai, I should probably say)
was a bit stiff, but Goemon didn't do all that much talking in Mamo
anyway, so it's hard to tell how much better he could be...

Except for the name changes, this dub can stand up to anything done
today...I'd even put it up against the cherished English Cowboy Bebop
job... :)

I'm sad there isn't some way to get more people to see this....maybe I'll
talk to Cap't Dave and see if they'll do something at Anime Weekend
Atlanta. It deserves to be remembered, not buried.

Chris Sobieniak

May 30, 2002, 1:38:13 PM5/30/02
On Wed, May 29, 2002, 11:32pm From: no...@my.com (Steve Harrison)
wrote:

>Oh, no, no, I am sorry if I gave that
>impression.....the dub job for Mamo is just
>astonishing in how *good* it is....the voices are
>dead on perfect! thing is, I've heard some of them
>in more recent Hong Kong dub jobs, so I'm
>thinking it's some LA studio with a set cast of
>actors...*man* I wish there was a way to dig into
>this more....that's the kind of job the old C/FO
>should have done, but...well...politics and all.

I have to give you credit here. Though I never heard this version of
Lupin before, it sounds like it must be worth the trouble.

>Were I in charge of the Lupin III project at Pioneer,
>I would move heaven and earth to find these
>people and the ADR director and give them years
>of work... :)

I'd probably do so too.

>OK...the guy who did Goemon's voice ( The
>Samurai, I should probably say) was a bit stiff, but
>Goemon didn't do all that much talking in Mamo
>anyway, so it's hard to tell how much better he
>could be...
>Except for the name changes, this dub can stand
>up to anything done today...I'd even put it up
>against the cherished English Cowboy Bebop
>job... :)

I bet it probably did, if not in the best sound possible (hissy mono
isn't something most people enjoy these days).

>I'm sad there isn't some way to get more people to
>see this....maybe I'll talk to Cap't Dave and see if
>they'll do something at Anime Weekend Atlanta. It
>deserves to be remembered, not buried.

>    Steve H.   Yamato Guru/Keeper of the
>Matsumotoverse

You know Merrill? I've delt with him in the past too! Without him, I
probably wouldn't be as big an anime otaku as I am today. He's even
helped me to somehow appreciate bad dubbing as well (thanks to the BAD
tapes). Just today, he's sent me copies of few examples, including
"Johnny Destiny: Space Ranger". Boy this was horrible!