Does anybody know where to find a new, factory-sealed Japanese Sony SCPH-5000 PlayStation?

DekuDekuplex

Aug 18, 2009, 1:34:32 AM8/18/09
(This is a question that I asked on rec.arts.anime.misc, concerning
which somebody there asked whether I had asked elsewhere, so I am
forwarding this question to this newsgroup.)

Does anybody know where to obtain an original new Japanese
PlayStation, model number SCPH-5000, that's still factory-sealed
(i.e., that has never been opened, and of course not used).

Surprisingly, this particular model is much harder to find that even
old Dreamcast models, because some of the Dreamcast models came in
limited editions and were put aside by collectors, whereas the
original Japanese PlayStation never came (at least to my knowledge) in
a limited edition, and is no longer sold or manufactured.

I actually used to own one myself, when living in New York prior to
moving to Tokyo, but it wouldn't fit in my carry-on belongings, and I
had no address in Japan to send it to nor anybody I knew who would
hold on to it while I searched for an address, so I wound up leaving
it in New York. That was the beginning of my nightmare; soon after I
arrived in Japan, I discovered how difficult it was to find, and since
my main purpose in using this model is to use the parallel port at the
rear of the device in order to use Pro Action Replay with Final
Fantasy VII, such models as the PS1 or the PS2 won't work (they lack a
parallel port).

These days, I occasionally have nightmares that there might not be
such a model anywhere, and that I may live out my life without being
able to replace it. Neither the PS1 nor the PS2 has a parallel port.
Does anybody know how to find a factory-sealed Japanese Sony
PlayStation, model number SCPH-5000 (i.e., the original version)? Any
hints, advice, or relevant information would be deeply appreciated.

-- DekuDekuplex
--
DekuDekuplex / DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."