Angelfish

Russell Jacoby

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
to rec.aquaria
I have a high 29 gallon aquarium with one Angelfish, a Platy, 2 mollys,
and 2 swordtails. I am 10 years old. I am wondering If I should get more
Angelfish. They all seem to be doing very well. Is there any other
type of fish I could get Would they fight ?

Sam Jacoby

Russell Jacoby

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96

Wright Huntley

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
Hi Sam,

In <4ec1fs$5...@saba.info.ucla.edu> Russell Jacoby <rja...@ucla.edu>
writes:

A new angelfish might get along just great, but they *are* cichlids and
they might squabble too much. Try to get one exactly the same size as
your present one, and get the store to agree to take it back if they do
not get along together.

Angelfish come from soft acid waters in the Amazon basin, while all
your other fish come from harder water, often brackish (a bit salty)
and don't care much for soft water. The mollys, in particular, really
like some salt in the tank. It might be better to get a mate for your
platy, or some other hard water fish. I like guppies, for they are very
active and colorful. The angel can accomodate to hard water better than
the mollies to soft, so it might be better to not get another angel,
and concentrate on more livebearers.

Wright

--

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA hun...@ix.netcom.com

Alicia

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
Russell Jacoby (rja...@ucla.edu) wrote:
: I have a high 29 gallon aquarium with one Angelfish, a Platy, 2 mollys,
: and 2 swordtails. I am 10 years old. I am wondering If I should get more
: Angelfish. They all seem to be doing very well. Is there any other
: type of fish I could get Would they fight ?

My 29 gallon houses 7 Angels, 1 Pleco and 2 horse-faced loaches. You may
be able to get away with adding 1 or 2 more angels. Keep in mind that
Angelfish are territorial and they will fight with one another. Depending
upon your water conditions and how you feed them, Angelfish can grow
quite large.

--
/\
/--\licia* Tropical lust....Carribean Soul...

fisherman

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
Angelfish like to live in groups so it might not be a bad idea to get a few more though your
angelfish might not have a liking to them if he's older or not used to them. How about some
corydoris? And remmember, don't over load the tank.

David Skeen

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
Russell Jacoby <rja...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>I have a high 29 gallon aquarium with one Angelfish, a Platy, 2 mollys,
>and 2 swordtails. I am 10 years old. I am wondering If I should get more
>Angelfish. They all seem to be doing very well. Is there any other
>type of fish I could get Would they fight ?
>
>Sam Jacoby

Dear Sammy,
You could get about one more Angelfish before it becomes to
full.(Assuming your swordtails are their full 5 inch size)

Paul A Bucciaglia

Feb 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/4/96
love...@telerama.lm.com (Alicia) writes:

>Russell Jacoby (rja...@ucla.edu) wrote:
>: I have a high 29 gallon aquarium with one Angelfish, a Platy, 2 mollys,
>: and 2 swordtails. I am 10 years old. I am wondering If I should get more
>: Angelfish. They all seem to be doing very well. Is there any other
>: type of fish I could get Would they fight ?

>My 29 gallon houses 7 Angels, 1 Pleco and 2 horse-faced loaches. You may

>be able to get away with adding 1 or 2 more angels. Keep in mind that
>Angelfish are territorial and they will fight with one another. Depending
>upon your water conditions and how you feed them, Angelfish can grow
>quite large.

> \ ....a bottle of rum and a lime...
>love...@telerama.lm.com

Nine or 10 angels in a 29 Gal? If they are quarter size, that would be
fine but they get a lot bigger than that. I would prefer to see 3 or 4
max in an aquarium that size. Its a lot easier to keep healthy fish if
you lean towards understocking rather than overstocking.

Paul Bucciaglia

Robyn Lombardo

Feb 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/5/96
>>: I have a high 29 gallon aquarium with one Angelfish, a Platy, 2
mollys,
>>: and 2 swordtails. I am 10 years old. I am wondering If I should get
more
>>: Angelfish. They all seem to be doing very well. Is there any other

>>: type of fish I could get Would they fight ?

> I would prefer to see 3 or 4
>max in an aquarium that size. Its a lot easier to keep healthy fish if

>you lean towards understocking rather than overstocking.

I had 4 Angelfish in a 65 gallon tank with plenty of cover (ie plants).
As they matured the 2 males fought and eventually got injured before I
removed one.

Maybe you could try to get a school of 6 corydoras. They are very active
bottom feeders. I would stay away from barbs and some tetras (like
Bleeding Hearts . . . ) as these are fin nippers and will eventually kill
angels.

Or get your platy a mate.

-
ROBYN LOMBARDO RGP...@prodigy.com