Angelfish laid eggs Help!!!

Russell Jacoby

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Im 10 years old and have only had an tank for a short time but my
Angelfish have laid eggs on one of my plants. What should I do

Sam Jacoby

Bryon Syn-Ka Liew

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96
to rja...@ucla.edu

Sam,

What you should do depends on many factors. First of all, what other fish do
these angels share their tank with? Angels are usually pretty good parents, so
if they are alone, you should just sit and watch them raise their kids. You
should definitly prepare some food for the little guys though. You can hatch
some baby brine shrimp if you want, they are the best food for frys.
Otherwise, any ready-made fry food should do. Don't worry if the parents eat
the young, a lot of cichlid parents do that for the first couple of spawnings.
If you have a breeding pair of angels, it is likely that they will spawn again
very soon.

If the angels are not alone and you don't think they can fight off the other
fish who want to get at those yummy eggs, then you can move the eggs(along with
the leave they are on) to another tank. You should use the water from the old
tank to fill the new tank so the tempreture and PH do not change drastically.

Most importantly, disturb them as little as possible. Keep the water nice and
clean. If you move them away from the parents, you might want to add a little
methylene blue in there to prevent fugus growth.(The parents can take care of
this if you leave them with the eggs)

Don't be too disappointed if the frys die. It takes trail and error to learn
to raise fish. You will get it sooner or later.

If I am not clear on anything or you have more questions, just post another
message or email me. I am sure others on the newsgroup will be happy to help.
Good luck!

Bryon