Angelfish laid eggs

Russell Jacoby

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

I am 10. I have a pair of angels that have spawned about 5 times. But I
cant get any of them to live. So far I have seperated the angels a nd
put their newborn fry into a specimen tank. I keep the tempature at 82
and the ph at about 6.5-7.0. What should I feed the fry once they get
free swimming? Is there anything I am doing wrong. Please Help Me.

Sam Jacoby

Oliver Melbourne Kelly

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Newly hatched brine shrimp, which you can hatch yourself, will feed them.

Russell Jacoby <rja...@ucla.edu> wrote in article
<3240A0...@ucla.edu>...

Paul Penrod

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Russell Jacoby wrote:

> I am 10. I have a pair of angels that have spawned about 5 times. But I
> cant get any of them to live. So far I have seperated the angels a nd
> put their newborn fry into a specimen tank. I keep the tempature at 82
> and the ph at about 6.5-7.0. What should I feed the fry once they get
> free swimming? Is there anything I am doing wrong. Please Help Me.
>
> Sam Jacoby

You need to leave the parents in with the eggs. Unlike many types of
tropical fish, the Angels will care for the eggs and the subsequent
babies. It is also important to make sure this is not a community tank,
as the pair may take exception to the other fish and eat the eggs to
"protect" them. Sounds wierd, but it's fish logic... :-)

The temperature is a little high. I usually keep my breeding tank at
76-78 F, but the pH is in the right range. Don't let it drop below 6.4
or you will have problems.

When the fry have reached the point where the egg sacks have disappeared
and maybe a bit larger, then transfer them to their own tank *with no
course gravel*. I have raised a batch or two on Tetramin powder food and
they seem to do nicely. However, it is more advisable to look at some of
the information Dr. Axelrod provides on the Cichlid diet and vary it as
they get larger.

Angel fish (at least the pairs I have owned in the past) pretty much
raise themselves. Enjoy the experience...

...Paul

Geoff N. Hiten

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Good advice. Don't feed them all the brine shrimp at once. Mix the extra
shrimp with some fresh water and freeze it in ice cube trays so you can feed
the little fry as they need food. Put the cubes in a bag and LABEL the bag!!.

Geoff N. Hiten
Ge...@dbTech.net

In article <01bba6d1$1c0b9f40$0200a8c0@oliver>, oli...@cognition.co.uk says...

>Newly hatched brine shrimp, which you can hatch yourself, will feed them.
>
>Russell Jacoby <rja...@ucla.edu> wrote in article
><3240A0...@ucla.edu>...

Dean Hougen

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

In article <324321...@earthlink.net>,

Paul Penrod <ppe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>It is also important to make sure this is not a community tank,
>as the pair may take exception to the other fish and eat the eggs to
>"protect" them. Sounds wierd, but it's fish logic... :-)

I see that you were joking, but actually it makes a lot of sense, from an
evolutionary standpoint. IF the eggs are going to be eaten due to the
other fish in the proximity, THEN either (1) the other fish will eat them
which will provide an excellent food source for those other fish and help
them to survive and reproduce (i.e. more competition for the parents on
subsequent breeding attempts), or (2) the parents can eat the eggs
themselves giving themselves an excellent food source that will help them
to survive and reproduce on a subsequent attempt. Which strategy do you
think evolution will favor? (Perhaps this falls into the category of
"just-so" story that Gould hates but, hey, you can't please everyone.)

>... However, it is more advisable to look at some of

>the information Dr. Axelrod provides on the Cichlid diet and vary it as
>they get larger.

Try Loiselle or Leibel.

Dean Hougen
--
"Weird science." - Oingo Boingo

Bill Dawes

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

In article <3240A0...@ucla.edu>, rja...@ucla.edu says...

>I am 10. I have a pair of angels that have spawned about 5 times. But I
>cant get any of them to live. So far I have seperated the angels a nd
>put their newborn fry into a specimen tank. I keep the tempature at 82
>and the ph at about 6.5-7.0. What should I feed the fry once they get
>free swimming? Is there anything I am doing wrong. Please Help Me.

Sam Jacoby:

82 degrees is fine, I use 85. Many very young parents eat
their first few spawns, it's not very hare to raise the
fry in a separate tank. You'll need methylene blue...
but you can see full details in my
Angelfish Breeding: FAQ at
http://www.colorpro.com/~color/angels/

Though the article tells you exactly what I do, I also have
links to 6 or so folks who do things differently...

Enjoy!

Bill Dawes