1951 International Harvester Refrigerator

jonsh...@archernoble.freeserve.co.uk

Jun 19, 2004, 1:44:00 PM6/19/04
I too have a working 1951 International Harvester Refrigerator. Can
anyone suggest a current value, or where I might have it valued? It
is currently stored in Toronto Canada.
Thank you

Ron, KC4YOY

Jun 19, 2004, 1:51:14 PM6/19/04

> I have a working 1951 International Harvester Refrigerator.

> Can > anyone suggest a current value,

I would guess it's either worth nothing or a million dollars...,
but then since this is a antique radio/phono newsgroup
and NOT a junk refrigerator newsgroup I could be wrong.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Arocketship7

Jun 19, 2004, 3:56:56 PM6/19/04

William Sommerwerck

Jun 19, 2004, 4:27:40 PM6/19/04
Probably around 5 amps.

> I too have a working 1951 International Harvester refrigerator.
> Can anyone suggest a current value?

pickled tuna

Jun 19, 2004, 4:57:44 PM6/19/04
On 19 Jun 2004 10:44:00 -0700, jonsh...@archernoble.freeserve.co.uk
wrote:

No...but you will surely get plenty of smart aleck replies...

Tracy

Mark Oppat

Jun 19, 2004, 5:21:22 PM6/19/04
funny, I had one too, but sold the house to my tennant two years ago with
the I H fridge still there and running! AND it was a 1951 model!~!! my
folks bought it used in 1953 when they got married! Man, those must have
been the best fridges ever made! we never had to service it.
Mark Oppat
<jonsh...@archernoble.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Ron

Jun 19, 2004, 5:55:23 PM6/19/04
to Ron, KC4YOY
Junk is Junk but I was wondering what engine does that thing have in it.

There are IH collectors but............Is it painted red or gray?

Ron in Phx

Bruce Mercer

Jun 19, 2004, 6:01:47 PM6/19/04

"Mark Oppat" <mop...@comcast.NOSPAMnet> wrote...

>Man, those must have been the best fridges ever made! we never had to
service it.
> Mark Oppat

Guess you never owned a Frigidaire. :-) I think the refrigerators than ran
forever were
the Servel gas refrigerators made here.

Bruce

John Stewart

Jun 19, 2004, 5:56:51 PM6/19/04

jonsh...@archernoble.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

The only IH products I recall were trucks. A brother-in-law in
New Jersey had an IH Scout. The Scout & B-i-L are both gone.

We used to call the IH stuff 'corn binders'. At one time IH was in
the farm equipment buz. Their refrigerators may have been made
by others & then private branded.

Cheers, John Stewart

BH

Jun 19, 2004, 5:27:05 PM6/19/04
Bruce Mercer wrote:

I think the refrigerators than ran
> forever were
> the Servel gas refrigerators made here.
>
> Bruce

They sure did, we had one that ran over 20 years, eventually was
replaced with a more spaceous modern one, and was then relegated to the
barn where it kept vaccines for the farm animals and cold drinks for at
least another 15 years, never a service call. My dad said he never
really understood how you made ice with fire.

William Sommerwerck

Jun 19, 2004, 7:29:16 PM6/19/04
> funny, I had one too, but sold the house to my tennant two years ago with
> the I H fridge still there and running! AND it was a 1951 model!~!! my
> folks bought it used in 1953 when they got married! Man, those must have
> been the best fridges ever made! we never had to service it.

"Nothin' like a Kentucky Harvester. Not like that imported junk." -- Gremlins

That's not an exact quote, so don't jump on me.

William Sommerwerck

Jun 19, 2004, 7:30:10 PM6/19/04
> They sure did, we had one that ran over 20 years, eventually was
> replaced with a more spaceous modern one, and was then relegated to the
> barn where it kept vaccines for the farm animals and cold drinks for at
> least another 15 years, never a service call. My dad said he never
> really understood how you made ice with fire.

Ditto for the reverse. Don't throw ice cubes in the woods, or Smoky'll get real
mad.

Richard Steinfeld

Jun 19, 2004, 8:23:21 PM6/19/04
WELCOME TO REC.ANTIQUES.REFRIGERATORS

Hoses .15/foot
Shelves made to order 1.98/foot
Refrigeration gas mixed to original formula 2.50/pound
Fresh safety pilot cleaning mixture 3.00 postpaid
Reproduction red pilot knob 6.50

Hagstar

Jun 19, 2004, 8:51:03 PM6/19/04
jonsh...@archernoble.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> I too have a working 1951 International Harvester Refrigerator. Can
> anyone suggest a current value, or where I might have it valued?

I took a mint Philco fridge from 1950 or so to the local recycle place.
They only charged me ten bucks to take it. It would have been no charge
had it been a frost-free model.

John H.

Buck Frobisher

Jun 19, 2004, 8:57:53 PM6/19/04
"Richard Steinfeld" <rgsteinBUT...@sonic.net> wrote in message

And what about washers?? Come clean, shouldn't they have equal time?

http://www.oldewash.com/

--
"Stay strong. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario

Bill

Jun 19, 2004, 9:32:23 PM6/19/04
Richard Steinfeld wrote:

Professional "free" appraisals from guys on an antique radio forum? =
WORTHLESS!

-BM

Mark Oppat

Jun 20, 2004, 1:05:23 AM6/20/04
Hilarious parody of the Bill Turner signature!
Fair prices, just like Bill's!
Mark

DaveW

Jun 20, 2004, 1:21:25 AM6/20/04
My folks have a 1953 General Electric huming away in the garage. I do
not think it has ever been serviced. This is one of those with the lazy
Susan shelves. It served in the kitchen until about 1975, replaced by a
Whirlpool front free. Then, an Amanna, followed two years ago by another
Amanna in the kitchen. The modern fridges went to the scrap heap, but
that GE still keep on chugging, rusty front and broken handle not
withstanding.

I myself have a 1963 Fridgedaire in my kitchen. It still works, but the
seals are shot, and it is one of those "open the fridge to get to the
freezer" types, so it frosts up fast. Despite the fact that the
refridgeration system itself still works flawlessly, its days are numbered.

The only International Harvester product I own is my CMP issued M1
Garrand. It's been a while, but last time I used it, it still worked fine.

Regards,

DAve

Bill

Jun 20, 2004, 1:42:18 AM6/20/04
DaveW wrote:

> The only International Harvester product I own is my CMP issued M1
> Garrand. It's been a while, but last time I used it, it still worked fine.
>

> Regards,
>
> DAve

I might have a "CMP issued M1 Garrand" around here in one of the junk
boxes. Is that tech-speak or should I really expect to find one in my
kitchen?. Mind you, some scary devices live out in that wing of my
tropical restaurant. I've got 9000 sq ft of what I'd call junk. I'd
love to see a piece of it go to a "collector" to pay my mortgage..

-BM

Scott W. Harvey

Jun 20, 2004, 12:48:32 PM6/20/04
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 05:21:25 GMT, DaveW <sps...@verizon.net> wrote:

>My folks have a 1953 General Electric huming away in the garage. I do
>not think it has ever been serviced. This is one of those with the lazy
>Susan shelves. It served in the kitchen until about 1975, replaced by a
>Whirlpool front free. Then, an Amanna, followed two years ago by another
>Amanna in the kitchen. The modern fridges went to the scrap heap, but
>that GE still keep on chugging, rusty front and broken handle not
>withstanding.

These old fridges were built like tanks, but let's not get too
misty-eyed about them. The energy efficiency of these things is
horrible compared to a modern unit, and the refrigerants used aren't
exactly friendly to the environment.

-Scott

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:
http://member.newsguy.com/~polezi/scottsaddy.htm
(This has been done because I am sick of SPAMMERS making my email unusable)

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/

maa...@panic.xx.tudelft.nl

Jun 20, 2004, 1:25:11 PM6/20/04
Scott W. Harvey <NOT_m...@email.com> wrote:
> These old fridges were built like tanks, but let's not get too
> misty-eyed about them. The energy efficiency of these things is
> horrible compared to a modern unit, and the refrigerants used aren't
> exactly friendly to the environment.

The unfriendly refrigerants are not a reason to dispose of them. If
anything, it's a reason to keep using them.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Ken Doyle

Jun 20, 2004, 2:20:40 PM6/20/04
The frost-free refrigerators frome the 60s, 70s, and 80s are energy hogs,
but not the old natural-draft ones.
Have a look at this:
http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/01/010705.html

Ken D.

Terry

Jun 20, 2004, 4:17:08 PM6/20/04

"Ron" <wa0...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:40D4B65...@yahoo.com...

> Junk is Junk but I was wondering what engine does that thing have in it.

Yeah. And back then it used 'leaded' gas! :-)
OOPs, sorry I'm off topic in this ng!

Richard Steinfeld

Jun 20, 2004, 4:21:01 PM6/20/04
I DO NOT MAKE PARODIES. STOP PICKING ON ME!

Jokes $1.98
One-liners $1.25
Joke, followed by a one-liner $2.23
Quantity discounts available; 32 jokes for the price of 30

"Mark Oppat" <mop...@comcast.NOSPAMnet> wrote in message

lbrt...@aol.com

Jun 20, 2004, 5:39:20 PM6/20/04

Does this mean I can post & find out about my '30's IH Little Genius
single-bottom plow here? It's at least as cool as a refer.

Ron

Jun 20, 2004, 6:30:50 PM6/20/04
to maa...@panic.xx.tudelft.nl
Correct plus obviously the refrigerants seem to be really very well sealed.

Ron

Jun 20, 2004, 6:33:04 PM6/20/04
to lbrt...@aol.com

lbrt...@aol.com wrote:

Now we are talking about something that has some real value.

William Sommerwerck

Jun 20, 2004, 7:22:47 PM6/20/04
> These old fridges were built like tanks, but let's not get too
> misty-eyed about them. The energy efficiency of these things is
> horrible compared to a modern unit, and the refrigerants used aren't
> exactly friendly to the environment.

They're completely harmless -- if they don't get out.

Greg Dome

Jun 20, 2004, 7:53:45 PM6/20/04
have a 1935 GE refrigerator that is used as a "beer box" in working order.
All original except "new" 40 year old seal.

Ken Doyle

Jun 20, 2004, 8:10:25 PM6/20/04
Always check the tag when dragging home a pre-WWII fridge. Some of them use
Sulphur Dioxide instead of freon. I would't bring a Sulphur Dioxide fridge
into my house, that's a HazMat disaster waiting to happen.

Ken D.

Don't Reply to this address

Jun 20, 2004, 10:19:55 PM6/20/04
We have a smaller Servel that still runs, converted to propane probably 30+
years ago.

It's only used during the summer at our summer cabin in the Sierra Nevada.
Even at 10,000 feet it works OK.

We are actually beginning to think about replacing it with something more
efficient as we're getting tired of having to handle the larger propane
cylinders for it and buy the propane and could probably pay for a more
efficient one over 10 or 15 summers.

It's also getting to the point where getting it started and getting the flame
up the tube is getting increasingly touchy. I suspect it needs a good cleaning
by somebody who knows what they are doing and we sure don't though maybe I'll
take an air compressor and we'll move it outside and blow all the soot out.
Combustion isn't really good at high altitudes and soot builds if you don't get
the flame very carefully adjusted. The rubber gaskets on it long ago became
more like hard rope. The door handle hasn't worked right for many many years
but if you hold it in the open position as you close it and release it as it
shuts it works fine.

Amazing machines that run forever.

I remember in the 1940s having one in our house and being very surprised at all
the noise from an electric refrigerator at a friend's house.

If only some of the, now Boat Anchors, that I have had given as good service!

Bruce Mercer wrote:

--
Address is NOT monitored due to SPAM volume from newsgroups. DO NOT REPLY to
post directly.

Don't Reply to this address

Jun 20, 2004, 10:24:14 PM6/20/04
Only thing is that if you replaced the old box by a new one you'd pay for the
new one in electricity savings very quickly if you're in an area like I am
where PG&E is trying to raise home rates to 15+ cents per KWH.

The old electric ones were/are energy hogs by today's standards.

DaveW wrote:

Don't Reply to this address

Don't Reply to this address

Jun 20, 2004, 11:11:16 PM6/20/04
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

DaveW

Jun 20, 2004, 11:39:05 PM6/20/04
Bill wrote:

> DaveW wrote:
>
>> The only International Harvester product I own is my CMP issued M1
>> Garrand. It's been a while, but last time I used it, it still worked
>> fine.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> DAve
>

> I might have a "CMP issued M1 Garrand" around here in one of the junk
> boxes. Is that tech-speak or should I really expect to find one in my
> kitchen?.

Depends on your neighborhood! Usually a 12 gague or even a large knife
will do for the kitchen :).

> Mind you, some scary devices live out in that wing of my
> tropical restaurant. I've got 9000 sq ft of what I'd call junk. I'd
> love to see a piece of it go to a "collector" to pay my mortgage..
>
> -BM

Well, there's always cosmoline!

Regards,

DAve

lbrt...@aol.com

Jun 21, 2004, 2:02:47 AM6/21/04
Don't Reply to this address <s_p...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<40D646AC...@comcast.net>...

> > I myself have a 1963 Fridgedaire in my kitchen. It still works, but the
> > seals are shot, and it is one of those "open the fridge to get to the
> > freezer" types, so it frosts up fast. Despite the fact that the
> > refridgeration system itself still works flawlessly, its days are numbered.

My perfectionist mother still has her 63-ish AVOCADO big Fridgidaire
with early icemaker, it is like new, has had a compressor seal dealt
with, and is NOT a juice hog as claimed. Naturally she has a
perfectly matching unscratched fugly avocado 2-door electric range,
too. Eat your hearts out. :-) Anytime either if them makes the
slightest burp, her repairman of 50 years it right there making it
perfect again for a shocking invoice with the CORRECT part. Oh, and
the orange sparkle Formica counters...

In the early '50's there were still ice deliveries in my city to my
grandmother's; I recall the iceman lugging in the fresh block every
other day and thought it was 'way cooler than a refer because I could
crawl into it for a minute.

But none of them had any RADIOS in or on them (hint, hint).

Jeffrey D Angus

Jun 21, 2004, 2:11:56 AM6/21/04

lbrt...@aol.com wrote:
> My perfectionist mother still has her 63-ish AVOCADO big Fridgidaire

Make up your mind.

If you're going to whine about off topic postings, don't REPLY
and ADD to them.

Jeff

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Tara Morice as Fran, from the movie "Strictly Ballroom"

Steven Dinius

Jun 21, 2004, 6:49:43 AM6/21/04
Jeffrey D Angus <jan...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message news:<M_uBc.30188$Ha2....@twister.socal.rr.com>...

> lbrt...@aol.com wrote:
> > My perfectionist mother still has her 63-ish AVOCADO big Fridgidaire
>
> Make up your mind.
>
> If you're going to whine about off topic postings, don't REPLY
> and ADD to them.
>
> Jeff

AHEM!! Isn't that interesting? An action so common I'd almost swear is
says to in the charter. A line so blurred it won't pass the drunk
test. I don't recall you opting out of the thread because it was OT.
So, you cooked it, please eat it, regardless of it's burnt state
HEEHEE

MOVING soon? (get ready, furious five!)

John H. Smith

Jun 21, 2004, 7:15:04 PM6/21/04
>Subject: Re: 1951 International Harvester Refrigerator
>From: "Ken Doyle" kensoldra...@yahoo.com
>Date: 6/20/2004 1:20 PM Central Daylight Time

International also sold air conditioners. I never saw one under 2.5 tons
usually 3-3.5 tons for "window" or wall mounting. Almost as big as a
refridgerator, there was almost as much sticlink inside as there was outside.
We rented a house with one in it. It may have saved energy overall because you
could turn itoff when we were out at work, come home with it 103 degrees and it
would cool the five room house to 72 degrees in about 20 minutes. It had it's
own breaker, run independently underground through 8 guage wires to it from a
nearby barn. Which made it's electrical cost included in the rent. No other
220 (or modern wiring) in the house. I'd be tempted to bet the A/C had more
horsepower than a 4 cylinder International Scout.
The tennants (us) got this good treatment because the house was 300 feet
from the hog houses, so without the air it would have been unrentable from May
to November. Not even for $110 a month....
This is not the International that made radios, they tell me.
Neutrodyne

Mark Oppat

Jun 21, 2004, 11:13:38 PM6/21/04
>My perfectionist mother still has her 63-ish AVOCADO big Fridgidaire
> with early icemaker, it is like new, has had a compressor seal dealt
> with, and is NOT a juice hog as claimed.

....correction on the date of avacado color appliances. I recall these came
on big around 1970 as the "back to the earth" movement with shag rugs and
DARK wood panelling came along. Same with harvest gold. Both were big thru
the 70's then white came back along with almond thru the 80's.
In the late 50's you had pink, black, yellow , sky blue and teal color
appliances too. These lasted well into the mid-late 60's.
Mark Oppat

Dennis Daly

Jun 22, 2004, 12:03:09 AM6/22/04

lbrt...@aol.com wrote:

> My perfectionist mother still has her 63-ish AVOCADO big Fridgidaire
> with early icemaker, it is like new, has had a compressor seal dealt
> with,

Compressor seal in a '60s vintage domestic (by the description,) refrigerator??
This is one I'd like to see....

lbrt...@aol.com

Jun 22, 2004, 5:57:20 AM6/22/04
Dennis Daly <dda...@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news:<40D7AF32...@twcny.rr.com>...

> Compressor seal in a '60s vintage domestic (by the description,) refrigerator??
> This is one I'd like to see....

A remfg sealed unit, Dennis.

Nelson

Jun 21, 2004, 11:15:05 PM6/21/04

"Don't Reply to this address" <s_p...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Bruce and others,
Please be cautious with the older propane fridges. I use one too, but
keep it on the screened veranda in my place near Lake of the Woods. If
they're not perfectly tuned they can produce enough carbon monoxide in a
closed cabin to kill you overnight. Other than that, they're almost
unstoppable.
Nelson

t.hoehler

Jun 22, 2004, 9:51:36 PM6/22/04

<lbrt...@aol.com> wrote in message

I don't know if the hermetic compressors are still made this way, but in the
60's, a friend and I cut an old fridge compressor open with a hack saw. The
fit and finish of the compressor parts were a sight to behold. I know that
fridge ran for at least twenty years before it was scrapped. We powered it
up after we cut it open and it ran like a sewing machine. Beautiful
workmanship, clearances that were really close. And all this after running
for tens of thousands of hours. Of course, they run in an oil atmosphere, no
dirt, etc. but still good design and craftmanship.
regards,
Tom

Bruce Mercer

Jun 23, 2004, 5:39:10 PM6/23/04

"Nelson" <ngi...@delete.mb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message .

> Bruce and others,
> Please be cautious with the older propane fridges. I use one too, but
> keep it on the screened veranda in my place near Lake of the Woods. If
> they're not perfectly tuned they can produce enough carbon monoxide in a
> closed cabin to kill you overnight. Other than that, they're almost
> unstoppable.
> Nelson

All of the Servels I was familiar with ran off natural gas which of course
could kill you just as easily. We had a top of the line 1926 model that
was hooked up in the basement and still running as a drink box when it was
replaced
by a 1948 Frigidaire when 'it' was replaced by a new Frigidaire frost-free
in 1959 for the kitchen. It was a huge and beautifully made. It would
probably still be running
if it hadn't been scrapped. That last Frigidaire lasted 40 years before it
started
to groan and was replaced. As a kid I could understand compressor
refrigeration but
the Servel seemed like magic.

Bruce

Jim Adney

Jun 23, 2004, 8:36:47 PM6/23/04
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:13:38 -0400 "Mark Oppat"
<mop...@comcast.NOSPAMnet> wrote:

>>My perfectionist mother still has her 63-ish AVOCADO big Fridgidaire
>> with early icemaker, it is like new, has had a compressor seal dealt
>> with, and is NOT a juice hog as claimed.
>
>....correction on the date of avacado color appliances. I recall these came
>on big around 1970 as the "back to the earth" movement with shag rugs and
>DARK wood panelling came along.

Right you are, Mark. We still have the 3 early '70s avocado green
appliances in our kitchen. We didn't buy them, they came with the
house. Except for the efficiency of the refrigerator, I don't think
there's anything wrong with them. Ours are all good quality, but I've
certainly had to repair each one occasionally.

My wife claims to hate them, but I'm sure she'll change her mind as
soon as the new mags come in showing avocado as the new "in" color
next year. ;-)

-
Jim Adney jad...@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Greg Dome

Jun 24, 2004, 9:31:19 PM6/24/04
not to worry. it has been in garages for the last 35 years. And it is the
rubber seal around the door.. It traveled to air force computer rooms from
1959 to 1980. Thanks for the heads up. And it has only been turned off
during it's transit moves.