rec.arts.bodyart: Tattoo FAQ 5/9--Artist List

Stan

Apr 16, 2003, 11:43:43 AM4/16/03
Archive-name: bodyart/tattoo-faq/part5
Last-modified: April 14, 2003
Posting-frequency: Monthly

--==*-< >-*==--==*-< >-*==--==*-< >-*==--==*-< >-*==--==*-< >-*==--

This FAQ is maintained by Stan Schwarz <st...@cosmo.pasadena.ca.us>

You can retrieve a copy of the FAQ via anonymous ftp from the MIT FTP
server: <ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/bodyart>.

The FAQs are also available on thw World Wide Web at
<http://www.rabbithole.org>.

The rec.arts.bodyart Tattoo FAQ is broken up into 9 parts:
1/9--Introduction
2/9--Getting a tattoo
3/9--Sanitation
4/9--Conventions
5/9--Artist list <---YOU ARE READING THIS FILE
6/9--Care of new tattoos
7/9--General care/removal
8/9--Misc. info
9/9--Bibliography

Subject: WHAT THIS FILE CONTAINS

This file is structured as a traditional FAQ in the form of questions
and answers. Questions answered in this file:

Rec.arts.bodyart FAQ Part 5/9: Tattoo artist list

- Who is a good/bad tattoo artist near me?
o Laws on tattooing (primarily in the US)
o US States [alphabetical listing]
o Outside the US [alphabetical by country]

COPYRIGHT AND DISSEMINATION: Under the Berne Convention, this document
is Copyright (c) 1997 by Lani Teshima-Miller, all rights reserved.
Permission is granted for it to be reproduced electronically on any
system connected to the various networks which make up the Internet,
Usenet, and FidoNet so long as it is reproduced in its entirety,
unedited, and with this copyright notice intact. Web sites are included.
Individual copies may also be printed for personal use.

Subject: WHO IS A GOOD/BAD TATTOO ARTIST NEAR ME?

The following is a list of artists who are personally reviewed by RAB
readers. This list is now maintained in a database, and this list
is generated out of the database.

An interactive interface to the database is available at:

http://cosmo.pasadena.ca.us/stan/tattoo-faq/display.php

A posting on this FAQ does *not* constitute approval, and is the
personal opinion of the reviewer. For liability purposes, it is YOUR
responsibility to check out the artist. Because I only accept personal
recommendations, this list is limited to those who are known to people
who read RAB There are many excellent artists who have not made it on
this list yet. Just because an artist is not on this list doesn't mean
they're not recommendable. Consider the reviews in this list along the
lines of a restaurant or movie review--YMMV.

If you do not see any artists from your area, I suggest you read the
previous section of this FAQ on HOW to check out a shop yourself.
Another way to is to ask a person with a nice tattoo, which artist did
the work. This by the way, is always a very nice question to ask and
will often elicit a totally different response from the tattooed person
(since comments usually tend to be things like "Is that real?" "Did it
hurt?"). Asking who the artist was that did the work is a compliment
both to the person and his/her artist.

To submit a review, use the online review form at:

http://www.rabbithole.org/artist-form.html

ANYONE can review an artist for this section. If you like your artist,
get his name out on the Internet by writing a review!

*RIGHT OF REPLY*
Anyone mentioned here in the artist review who feels they have been
misrepresented or who wish a "right of reply" are invited to send email
to me at <st...@cosmo.pasadena.ca.us>. I can include rebuttals to
negative reviews if they are properly concise. But the best defense
is to get a satisfied customer to submit a good review.

*Note to Artists*
You cannot review yourself or your own shop. Every so often I
get a self-review, and just file it. The whole point of this
is to get reviews written by customers.

ALABAMA:
Tattooing of minors is prohibited. Shops are regulated by the state.

Non Stop Art
195 West Valley Ave #G, Birmingham, 35209 Ph: 205-945-6762
Cash, All Credit Cards
Reviewed 02/2003 by Julia Frost <johnnys...@earthlink.net>
Shop Review: Non Stop Art is by far the cleanest shop I have ever had the
pleasure of doing business with. All of the artists change gloves ALL the
time; needles are one-use and disposed of properly, and there is constant
cleaning to prevent cross-contamination. All booths are private (the studio
was a tanning salon before acquired by Non Stop Art), there is no-smoking
allowed, and there are rules against distractions such as cell phones. All
portfolios are displayed proudly, and the staff is all friendly and
extremely knowledgeable.
Artist Review--Chad Hubbard: Chad does amazing custom work and will work
with you to find the
perfect piece. His color work is amazing; very vibrant, with crisp
details. His attention to detail and cleanliness is wonderful, and he puts
anyone in the chair at ease. He has worked at several local parlors before
opening his own, and was more than willing to accomodate my work/school
schedule for my custom piece. He is very understanding to anyone being
anxious or nervous about tattooing, and his work will speak for itself.

Exotic Tattoos & Piercings
1408 Pelham Road S., Jacksonville, 36265 Ph: 256-782-3319
http://exotictattoos.tripod.com
$85/hr Cash, Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Checks, etc.
Reviewed 09/2002 by Amanda Cole <Tattoo...@aol.com>
Shop Review: Exotic is the cleanest parlor I have been in, in my area.
They
strive to offer tattoos from a medical standpoint. I was explained that
tattoos are an invasive procedure and should be treated as such. There are
private rooms for tattooing and piericing. They say they are the cleanest
and friendliest tattoo parlor in the south, and I tend to believe they sure
are close to the top if not the top in clean and friendly.
Artist Review--Janet Henry: She is a personable person. I felt like she
was old friend. I really appreciate the way she worked with until I found
exactly what I wanted. Everyone should have such a good tattoo experience.

Capitol City Tattoo
4127-C Troy Hwy, Montgomery, 36116 Ph: 334 286-9070
Cash, Credit Cards(5.00 charge for credit card)
Reviewed 06/2002 by Wanda Geiger <walg...@aol.com>
Shop Review: The shop is large with lots of tattoo art on the walls and
several books of work on the front counter. I made visits here
and to other shops in the area before deciding on CCT. The
artists who work here are extremely friendly, helpful, and
approachable. Everyone was in a good mood and genuinely happy
to be there. You can see into the workrooms from the main area
but they are behind glass and there are other rooms that are
more private. The shop is clean, bright, and open.
Artist Review--Duane: Duane has been at CCT for several years, is
originally from
Michigan, his wife also works here, and is very talkative.
A co-worker had recommended the shop and had good comments on
Duane. When I first came in looking at designs, he took time to
show me tattoos similar to what I wanted and opened his
portfolio to show me specific designs he had worked with the
same theme. This really put me at ease. He even recommended
websites where I could see other examples. We decided on a
design, changing from my initial thoughts of a solid band to an
S-shaped design that would work better. He gave me an estimate
oncost ($180-240) and time (90 min-2 hours) without hesitation
and both seemed appropriate as my design is about 5x3. We set
an appt for later that week so he couldfinesse the design. When
I called back and couldn't make the scheduled time he
rearranged his personal schedule to come in when I could. He
showed me the final design for my approval and once agreed we
went to the chair. This was my first tattoo and I was very
nervous, but Duane put me at ease and promised it wasn't near
as bad as I thought. And it wasn't. I periodically checked
his progress and was amazed at the amount of care he put into
the coloring and shading of my design. His joking and
conversation made the time and irritation of the needle
minimal. Afterwards he gave me specific instuctions on care
and how to use the Tattoo Goo. He also gave me an extra
business card and said to call if I had any questions. It's
definitely agreat experience and Duane is an A+++ artist!!!

--==*-< >-*==--

ALASKA:

Permanently Unique Ink
4100 Lake Otis Parkway, Medical Plaza Suite #205, Anchorage, 99508 Ph: (907) 575-7622
$150/hr Cash or major credit cards
Reviewed 01/2003 by Liza Sims Lawarence <IZNL...@aol.com>
Shop Review:
Artist Review--Clayton Halfhill: Mr. Halfhill performs the most "safest"
procedures I've ever seen in the indusrty to date, using only disposable
materials and equipment. His personal protective equipment, health &
safety is second to none in the world. Everone should perform with this
amount of care & consern for their clients as he does! He has been
performing his art for decades in tattooing and for the last year he has
developed into a great permanent cosmetic tech. He was reconized in
"cosmetech magizine" a few months ago.

--==*-< >-*==--

ARIZONA:
Tattooing of minors is prohibited. Home tattooing is illegal.

Body Art Tattoo
443 W. Main St., Mesa, 85201 Ph: 480-644-0812
http://www.azbodyart.com
Cash, Visa, M/C, Discover, AmEx
Reviewed 11/2001 by Nikki Redeker <nikkir...@msn.com>
Shop Review: A very large, immaculate shop with several private artist
studios and private piercing room. They have the most comfortable waiting
room with a variety of flash, portfolios, magazines and a great selection
of body jewelry. In addition they have a sepparate sterilization room with
standard autoclave and chemclave. A very comfortable, private and friendly
place to get a tattoo and/or piercing.
Artist Review--Marc Lescarbeau: He can do anything from the most standard
tattoo to a very custom detailed tattoo. An artist who takes his time and
never goes beyond his limits or yours. He has an amazing way of taking a
sometimes uncomfortable, irritating experience and making it a pleasant
one. A very experienced artist who stands behind and guarantees his work.

--==*-< >-*==--

ARKANSAS:
State Annotated @ 5-27-228 (1993) allows the tattooing of minors with the
written consent of the minor's parent, legal guardian or legal custodian.

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

CALIFORNIA
California law states professional tattoo artists are not allowed to tattoo
minors who are under the age of 18. Otherwise unregulated.

Eternal Art
18438 Sierra Hwy #5, Canyon Country, 91351 Ph: 661 298 0897
Reviewed 04/2002 by Desiree Sargent <violet...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: At first, it seems a bit weird, because its on the corner of a
dirty-looking street, and up these steep little stairs, above a pager shop,
but inside it is very clean and comfortable.
Artist Review--Shaun: Shaun is very helpful and congenial. He has done some
very intricate work for me, and it has turned out awesome. (Better than I
described or even IMAGINED) He pays special attention to detail, which is
why I love him. He makes easy conversation while working on you, and has a
bookcase full of all different things for you to look at. I've brought my
sister to him twice, and I refer everyone I know to him. After seeing my
tats, they all want to go to him anyway. =) He warned me about posting my
tat pic on any sites, or even contributing it to magazines, because he
fears someone may copy the art that belongs to me. (Who wants someone
walking around with the same exact thing on their body forever as they
have? What kind of self-expression is that?) I really appreciate the fact
that he cares more about me than about making his name well known in
magazines and whatnot. He is very nice, funny, and extremely talented.

Alpha Omega
1121 North Texas Street, Fairfield, 94533 Ph: (707) 428-6519
http://www.kissmytattoo.com/
Cash, Credit Card
Reviewed 10/2000 by Karine Perttula <te...@wonderland.com>
Shop Review: The shop is very clean, the people are friendly. The artist
has her own curtained off area which can be made to feel extremely private
or open to the world depening on the work being done, and the person it is
being done on.
Artist Review--Lin Elliott: Lin's creation of my tattoo felt very much like
a collabrative process. What I was interested in and wanted was always
taken into consideration, if I didn't specify exacts and she came up with
something she thought was needed she let me know her thoughts on the
matter, but didn't push too have it done her way.

Temple Tattoo
384-17th Street, Oakland, 94612 Ph: 510-451-6423
$100/hr Cash only
Reviewed 06/2000 by Bob Fickling <r...@tsoft.com>
Shop Review: The shop is located in one of the better downtown areas of
Oakland. Lots of metered and lot parking. The shop is clean, well lighted
and large. The artists are nice and friendly. Plus they do great work!
Artist Review--Freddy Corbin: Fred Corbin's nickname is "Mr. Nice Guy" what
else can I say? He started tattooing over ten years ago at Erno's in San
Francisco and later worked at Ed Hardy's shop. He has tattooed all around
the world and is know worldwide for excellent work.

Primitive Basic Tattooing and Piercing
112 N. Bradford Ave., Placentia, 92870 Ph: 714-579-7765
$100/hr Cash, credit cards
Reviewed 03/2003 by Tim <tkin...@excite.com>
Shop Review: They are very good. they are sanitary, and the shop is clean.
They are very friendly, and professional. they only use needles once. They
always use a new needle when applying a tattoo.
Artist Review--Sherry: Sherry is very good. friendly, and has tattooed for
over seven years. she has a light touch, and is very safe. she makes you
feel very comfortable. I definietly recommend this shop for a tattoo.

Liberty Tattoo
4544 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento, 95814 Ph: 916/977-3977
$100/hr cash and credit cards
Reviewed 02/1999 by Pam Mann <pammy...@aol.com>
Shop Review:
Artist Review--Bill Liberty: Bill not only does outstanding work,
hischairside manner can't be beat. I gave him a computer-generatedpicture
which he drew up and improved upon. My friend and I both gotthe same tat.
This man is truly an artist - I have many other tatsfrom different artists,
but I'll never go to anyone other than Billfor future work.

222 Tattoo
222 Eighth Street, San Francisco, 94103 Ph: 415 255 8222
Cash, credit cards
Reviewed 11/2000 by Art Richards <sid...@hotmail.com (include RAB in subj line to escape filters)>
Shop Review: UPDATE Same as my 1997 review. Might want to list other
artists: Scott Sylvia, Jeff Rassier, Jesse Tuesday, Juan Puente
Artist Review--Eddy Deutsche: A consumate custom artist. Has customers
from all around the world. Very fast, wonderful colorist, easy manner.
His backpiece won me Best Oriental Tattoo at 1999 Anaheim Tattoo Tour, the
combo of back and arms won me Second Best Overall Male.

Tattoo City
700 Lombard St, San Francisco, 94133 Ph: 415 345-9437
$150/hr Cash, credit cards
Reviewed 11/2000 by Art Richards <sid...@hotmail.com (include RAB in subj line to escape filter)>
Shop Review: Tattoo City moved about two blocks down the street about a
year ago into bigger quarters at the corner of Lombard and Columbus.
Private booths for each artist. Clean, bright, and spacious. Good
transportation.
Artist Review--Jef Whitehead: Young artist, going up like a rocket. I
don't take red ink easily, but his work on me did not fall out and is still
as bright as it was 2 years ago.
Reviewed 11/2000 by Art Richards <sid...@hotmail.com (include RAB in subj line to escape filters)>
Shop Review: SEE MY EARLIER REVIEW ON JEF WHITEHEAD, SAME SHOP.
Artist Review--Don Ed Hardy: What can you say about Ed Hardy? The man is a
legend. Still doing superb work after 32 years in the business. Very
fast, he outlined and did the body color on my deity (about a foot high)in
about 2 hours, finished the fine detail work in another appointment of 1
1/2 hours. Charges a premium rate, but worth every penny. Only works two
days a week now. Took me about 2 months to get a consultation, another
month for first appt.
Reviewed 11/2000 by Art Richards <sid...@hotmail.com (include RAB in subj line to escape filter)>
Shop Review: SEE PREVIOUS REVIEW ON JEF WHITEHEAD, SAME SHOP. Update:
Nalla Smith is no longer there. Current artists include Colin Stevens, Jef
Whitehead, Tim Lehi -- and Hardy a couple of days a week
Artist Review--Tim Lehi: Gentle, quiet, almost shy, very pleasant young
man. A terrific artist, I am always knocked out by his beautiful taped to
the walls of his booth. The Fudo has exquisite detail and beautiful
coloring. I plan on getting him to fill in the rest of the thigh.

Art Work Rebels
1755 Market St., San Francisco, 94118 Ph: (415) 552-4297
http://www.grimemonster.com
$150/hr cash
Reviewed 11/2002 by Mercury Ellis <Heavyme...@aol.com>
Shop Review: A spacious new shop, very clean with amazing art by people
like
Ed hardy and a huge awesome dragon mural by the Grime. They have
folding screens for privacy and both Jason Kundell and the Grime
are "really nice guys." The shop is easily accessible by subway
and bus. Upper Market/outer Mission district..
.
Artist Review--The Grime: The Grime is amazingly fast, creative, smart,
and funny, is a
snappy dresser and has excellent taste in music. Oh yeah, his
tattoos slay me. His reputation precedes him of course, but if
you don't know then check out his website above. He has worked
with Marcus Pacheco and Ed Hardy himself, and has paid his dues.
Has self-published a really cool book. Another consummate artist
who
can take the most trite, played out image and make it fresh,
and also is able to take a unique idea and make it
work as a tattoo. He has a very light touch and a great eye
for color. Did I mention he was fast?

Godspeed Tattoo
620 S. Norfolk St, San Mateo, 94401 Ph: 650 558-1922
http://godspeedtattoo.com
No checks
Reviewed 07/2001 by Ozzy <burlf...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: Godspeed is the nicest shop I have ever seen. It is clean and
spacious and is very welcoming. Walls are covered with big paintings and
custom art. Booths are private and large.
Artist Review--Kevin Marr: Kevin has been tattooing for about 3 years.
Turtle from Gene's Body Art in Long Branch NJ taught him. He said he always
liked to draw with a passion and focus on tattoo designs.

Spider Murphy's
939 Tamalphis Street, San Rafael, 94901 Ph: 1-415-460-6979
Cash or credit cards
Reviewed 07/2000 by Bob Fickling <r...@tsoft.com>
Shop Review: A small, clean shop in a good neighborhood with easy to find
metered parking.
Artist Review--Theo Mindell: Theo Mindell does great tattoos, enjoys
tattooing and has good manners. Another "nice guy".
Reviewed 02/2003 by Lynnette Frary <lynnett...@aol.com>
Shop Review: The shop is funky, relaxed, comfy, the sanitation is good to
my
knowledge, no privacy there is only one chair. The neighborhood is good,
difficult to find parking.
Artist Review--Theo: Theo is a wonderful person he is a great artist,
friendly and charming. However, his new staff can be abrasive and
disrespectful to possible clients. I've recently had three people tell me
that they were treated poorly upon arriving. Sad to see that happening
when Theo was alone, I think things were better.

Tattoo Santa Barbara
318 State St, Santa Barbara, 93101 Ph: 805/962-7552
http://www.luckyfishart.com
Cash, Visa/MC, AMEX, ATM cards
Reviewed 04/1996 by Sean Corfield <se...@ocsltd.com>
Shop Review: Excellent sterile conditions despite a wonderfully cluttered
shop with great guard dog. Plenty of things hanging from the ceiling to
keep the eyes occupied while being worked on. Lots of soothing music,
celtic, new age whatever. Work area only separated from walk-in area by a
counter but still reasonably private.
Artist Review--Pat Fish: Pat is a fiercely independent, outspoken woman who
doesn't suffer fools gladly. Taught initially by Cliff Raven, she has built
up over 10 years of experience running her own shop. She takes great pride
in her work and is very patient while dealing with placement and
customisation of the design. Her knowledge of Celtic art and culture is
extensive and she has a real passion for it.

Staircase Tattoo
628 Ocean St, Santa Cruz, 95060 Ph: (831)425-7644
http://www.staircasetattoo.com
Reviewed 02/2002 by Elena Bridges <elena...@msn.com>
Shop Review: the entire experience was very nice and exceptionally clean. i
wasn't tressed with a bunch of other people around just tim and myself. he
was exceptionally cool which was very important because he also did my
first tattoo.
Artist Review--Tim Bonagario: he apprenticed with a guy named phil who's
pretty well known- works in Fla. now. Tim is really cool and patient when
you need to take breaks. His work is fantastic- the colors are amazing and
the tattoos look just like the pictures. Tim is amazing i don't know any
more about his training as he was referrred by a friend whom i trust.
Reviewed 12/1999 by Barry Blanchard <ba...@anatometal.com>
Shop Review: There are two male tattooists, 4 female. One of the
cleanest shops I have ever seen. All the tattooists have won awards
for various work at tattoo conventions. The studio has also won "Best
Tattoo Shop in Santa Cruz" every year in the local paper. The have
four autoclaves, a clean room, a bio-hazard room, and sinks at every
station. James McDermott has the only studio in this town that
conforms to all areas of our new tattoo and body piercing sterility
laws. I would not go anywhere else.
Artist Review--:

--==*-< >-*==--

COLORADO
Legislature: http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/stateleg.html

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

CONNECTICUT:
Connecticut General Statutes 53-41 (1991) makes it illegal
to tattoo minors under the age of 18 without parental consent. Otherwise
unregulated.

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

DELAWARE:
Prohibits piercing, tattooing, and branding minors without parental
consent
Laws: http://www.state.de.us/govern/agencies/legis/lis/139/bills/95428.htm

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA:
Unregulated.
Legislature: http://www.dc.gov/

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

FLORIDA
Tattooing must be performed by a licensed physician or dentist. Minors must
have parental consent.

Artistic Addictions
5536 International Drive, Orlando, 32819 Ph: 407-354-3200
Cash, Credit Cards
Reviewed 04/2003 by Nicole Gray <Serap...@earthlink.net>
Shop Review: The shop is very clean and set in a strip mall that has ample
parking and is very easy to locate. The rooms are very private and the
atmosphere is very relaxed. The shop is in a very safe area close to many
tourist attractions.
Artist Review--Lance Norris: Lance is incredible at coming up with unique
ideas for new work. Lance has done three tattoos for me at this time. The
center of my upper back has an angel that is so colorful most people think
it is airbrushed on. The tattoo on my left shoulder is an angel that
appears to be a bit darker in nature, but is so full of detail everyone is
impressed. Lance also did a small bit of congee work for me that has very
clean lines. Lance has a very relaxing manner and makes everyone feel at
ease.

Serenity Body Modifications
11502 N. Nebraska Ave. Suite 105, Tampa, 33612 Ph: (813) 971-5312
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Enterprises/4799/serenity.html
cash, credit cards, no checks
Reviewed 08/2000 by Deborah Chance <dcha...@tampaybay.rr.com>
Shop Review: The shop is located in a small 'strip' shopping center. Shop
is neat and clean, nice music playing.There is a comfortable waiting
area.Skip tattoos in a small private room, there is another room for
tattooing, also. There is a poster hanging in Skip's room, decribing
sanitation procedures.
Artist Review--Skip Sampson: Skip made me feel at ease, even though it was
my first tattoo. He spent 3 1/2 years at McKenzie's Forever Ink as
Mgr./artist, and 2 years at Blue Devil Tattoo Gallery in Ybor City. Does
custom work, not just flash.

--==*-< >-*==--

GEORGIA:
Official Code of Georgia Annotated @ 16-5-71 (1993) states that
it is illegal to tattoo a person under the age of 18. Violators are
guilty of a misdemeanor. Also, OCGA @ 16-12-5 states that it is illegal
to tattoo within one inch of an eye socket. Otherwise unregulated.

Time Bomb Tattoo
1035 Baxter Street, Athens, 30606 Ph: 706-316-2223
http://http://www.timebombtattoo.com
Reviewed 03/2003 by Robert Newsome <rnew...@uga.edu>
Shop Review: Nice size shop, very comfortable and VERY CLEAN. If you're
getting the kind of work that requires privacy, or if you don't want other
people to be around when you get tattooed, this is ever a problem. The
location is easy to find, and is near a drugstore if you need to pick up
any after-care supplies when you're done.
Artist Review--Chris Parry: Chris is extremely friendly and is an excellent
artist. I will
town. His ability to take a verbal description or a rough sketch and turn
it into a finished work is excellent. One of the most patient, nicest
tattoo artists I've met.

Sacred Heart Tattoo
483 Moreland Avenue, Atlanta, 30307 Ph: (404) 222-8385
http://www.sacredhearttattoo.com
cash, credit cards
Reviewed 11/1999 by Kim Wilson <gt4...@prism.gatech.edu>
Shop Review: The shop was very nice and clean. The atmosphere was friendly,
and there were large quantities of flash. They also provided resource
books like a dictionary of Chinese symbols. They had private rooms and a
more public area. The shop is located in Little Five Points, a district
known for interesting shops.
Artist Review--Colette: I was very impressed with Colette. She spent a lot
of time to help me choose the colors I wanted, sketching out several
schemes to help me choose. It was my first tattoo, and she was very good
at making me feel comfortable and at ease. She did a great job with
coloring and shading the tattoo; it turned out even better than I had
hoped. I was very pleased with the whole experience.

Ivory Tower Tattoo & Body Piercing Emporium
406 Fair Road Suite #9, Statesboro Ph: 912-764-5048
Reviewed 08/1999 by April Greene <aldg...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: The shop is located conviently near the center of town
in a small shopping center. They are open 7 days a week from 12am to
12pm. Its better to get an appoitment, he is quite busy. Inside the
shop is spotless. Everyone who works there is eager to help and they
put you at ease, kinda make you feel at home. All of the equipment is
sanitized and Gentleman Ross wears gloves the entire time. He has a
private room for tattooing and a separate room for piercing. You could
not ask for a cleaner shop or nicer people.
Artist Review--Ross Craven: Gentleman Ross has been tattooing for
about 3 years. I was the second person he did a portrait on and my
husband was the first! I literally have had people stop me on the
street to see this tattoo up close(its on my thigh)! He has a
tendency to be quiet when he works-concentration ya know! But he is a
very knowledgable person who knows his trade and can explain anything
you ask him...I asked a lot of questions! He answered them all and
put me at complete ease. My first experience will not be my last,
thanks to Ross!

--==*-< >-*==--

HAWAII
Tattooing of minors is prohibited
Legislature: http://www.hawaii.gov/icsd/leg/leg.html

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

IDAHO:
Tattooing laws: Nonexistent and unregulated.

Sandpoint Tattoo & Body Piercing
206 N. First, Sandpoint, 83864 Ph: 208-265-5212
$30/hr cash
Reviewed 08/1999 by tracy canon <t.a....@worldnet.att.net>
Shop Review: the shop has several methods of sterilization, the total
environment and feel of the shop is relaxing,privacy screens are available.
The artist is a true professional. Quality of work is his primary concern,
his rates reasonable the attitude is one of openess and honesty. VERY
REFRESHING!
Artist Review--kevin: Kevin has over 20 years experience, first learning
his trade in Sydney Australia. He has had several shops in his career,
southern California and now in the panhandle of north Idaho. He has clients
come over from Canada, Washington state, Montana, Oregon,Utah and even
Germany. As stated above his mannerism is calm and quiet, honest and open.
True professional and asset to the business. He has the lightest touch
which is very nice on tender areas. The quality of work is fantastic, like
looking at a picture not just a nice tat.

--==*-< >-*==--

ILLINOIS:
Illinois Compiled Statutes Criminal Code of 1961 720 ILCS 5/
Professional tattoo artists are not allowed to tattoo minors under the age
of *21*. Violations are considered a Class C misdemeanor. Otherwise
unregulated.
Legislature: http://www.legis.state.il.us
Laws: http://www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/ilcs/ch720/ch720act5articles/ch720act5Sub17.htm

The Mark of Cain Tattoos
207 West Green St., Champaign, 61820 Ph: 217-355-3876
http://http://www.markofcaintattoos.com
$100/hr Cash, check, credit cards
Reviewed 01/2003 by Mark Gilkison <mdgil...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: Shop is decorated in the Victorian/horror theme, with every
attention paid to safe, sanitary work environment. The shop is licensed
through the Champaign County Board of Health.
Artist Review--Nick Wiggins: Nick's work is unparallelled, as you would see
by visiting his site, or his shop, or by viewing one of the many articles
he's had in international publications(such as Tattoo Revue 41&49, SkinArt
62, Tattoo 114, and the latest issue of Tabu tattoo..issue #21). I offer
this challenge; if you can find someone better, after looking at his work,
go to them. For me, I know there's no limit to this man's capabilities.

Nick's Tattoos
1020 Derby St., Pekin, 61554 Ph: 309-346-8287
http://www.nickstattoos.com
$100/hr cash, credit, check
Reviewed 12/2002 by G. J. Oakley <ermd...@aol.com>
Shop Review: This shop is "SUPER" clean. The environment is kept in a
professional manner pursuant to OSHA. Privacy is available
due to 5 individual rooms. The area of town the studio is
located is easy to find and comfortable.
Artist Review--Nick: Nick has done my work, he has tattooed over 10 years
and I found
him to be extremely knowledgeable in areas of infection control
and very aware of sanitation. I myself being a physician am very
concerned about safety and Nick's Tattoos has surpassed all my
expectations. Clean lines and bright colors no problems at all.

--==*-< >-*==--

INDIANA:
Tattooing of minors is prohibited.

New Breed - the future of tattooing and body pierc
328 Northwestern Avenue, West Lafayette, 47906 Ph: 765-743-6307
http://montetattoo.com
cash, credit cards
Reviewed 06/2002 by Lyndsey Hahn <livingd...@att.net>
Shop Review:
Artist Review--Monte: Monte is absolutely the best tattoo artist around. At
New Breed, every precaution is taken for sterilization and cleanliness.
The finished art is completely phenomenal on every customer.

--==*-< >-*==--

IOWA

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

KANSAS

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

KENTUCKY:
Legislature: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/

Tattoo Charlie's
New Circle Road, NE, Lexington, 40505 Ph: 859-254-2174
Reviewed 08/2000 by Shawn Bowen <shawn...@lrc.state.ky.us>
Shop Review: Shop was clean and sanitary. Stu described sterilization
procedures, wore gloves while working, cleaned and shaved my arm.
Artist Review--Stu: My tattoo came out really good. The lines were straight
and fine just as I wanted them. He was able to center another design over
the chinese zodiac symbols perfectly. Friendly and courteous, did not rush
the job. I would highly recommend him.

Body Works Tattoos and Piercings
1426 W Lexington Ave., Winchester, 40391 Ph: (859) 737 1070
Cash
Reviewed 01/2001 by Samantha <Phe...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: The shop is user friendly and neat!!! It's very groovy clean
and does more than just meet all the requirements for a parlor. Chris
wore gloves cleaned the tattoo area was calm and nice during both my
tattoos and my piercing. Chris is must if you are going to get anything
done!!!! ;')
Artist Review--Chris Reynolds: The shop was user friendly with
information about the services offered and chris has ideal tattoos
hanging all over the place. Everything was beyond perfect from the way he
had everything layed out to the chairs and the sterlization...

--==*-< >-*==--

LOUISIANA:
Louisiana Revised Statutes 14:93.2 (1992) states that
tattooing minors under 18 is legal only with the consent of a parent.
Violators are fined $100 to $500. Otherwise unregulated.

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

MAINE:

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

MARYLAND:
Tattooing laws: unregulated.

Great Southern
9403 Baltimore Avenue, College Park, 20743 Ph: 301-474-8820
Reviewed 05/2000 by Markeeda Guest <msk...@aol.com>
Shop Review: Nice neighborhood, the rooms were private, but small.
Provided candy, and other snacks while performing the tatooo.
Artist Review--Charley: Charley did great work!! His personality was
great, he told jokes, stories, and whatever else to keep the atmosphere
light. He was helpful in keeping my mind OFF of the pain:)

Personal Art Studio
13404 McMullen Hwy, Cumberland, 21502 Ph: 301 729-8282
cash, credit card, debit card
Reviewed 05/2002 by Jennifer Mulledy <junipert...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: My after-the-fact research of what to expect from a good
tattoo
artist has described Mary's shop to a tee. Clean, not intimidating to the
first
(and only) timer like myself, thorough explanation of the process and
tools, and
they gave me a second sucker even after I laughed at the idea in the first
place.
Artist Review--Mary: Friendly, professional, customer-oriented, an overall
pleasant experience (minus the pain). I would definitely recommend her,
particularly to the introverted woman, I believe I was much more
comfortable with a female artist.

About You Tattoo
P.O. Box 278, Shady Side, 20764 Ph: 410 867 1500
http://www.belovedbitch.com
cash only
Reviewed 03/2001 by Jerry Towns <rdk...@aol.com>
Shop Review: very clean and organized. It's a private studio where she
focus's on YOU ...Shuvl beatings are sometimes free depending on her mood
Artist Review--Rebecca " Ruby " Rasbury: she specializes in making it
perfect for you

Ambrotos Tattoo
40 Bonifant Street, Silver Spring, 20910 Ph: 301-585-8004
Cash, credit card
Reviewed 05/2000 by Sara Mitchell <sa...@wam.umd.edu>
Shop Review: Ambrotos Tattoo is in the shopfront formerly occupied by
Fattyz Custom Tattoos. The shop is clean and tastefully decorated, located
in the older area of Silver Spring only blocks from a Metro station and
many fine ethnic restaurants. The surrounding area is one of the few
places where I feel comfortable walking around alone after dark. Inside
the studio, the individual cubicles are comfortable and well-decorated with
many things to look at while you are being tattooed. Body piercing is also
offered in the studio. The shop has an autoclave and does not reuse
needles. Each artist cubicle is private.
Artist Review--Mike Smith: Mike Smith is an experienced and talented
artist, on and off of skin. He's had a few years out on his own after
apprenticing, and really impressed me with his artistry and technical
skill. When given a very rough drawing of the desired outcome, he worked
with me for a long time to achieve the design I envisioned. Most of the
embellishments that I love the most about my pieces were his ideas. I feel
comfortable placing some artistic license into Mike's skilled hands. Mike
is a quiet guy while he's working, but that really didn't bother me. Mike
specializes in thick black outlines and rich shading, very much in the
traditional style, and his best pieces are definitely of timeless images
such as swallows, stars, hearts, pinup girls, and other ones which have
been popular for decades.

--==*-< >-*==--

MASSACHUSETTS:

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

MICHIGAN:
Tattooing of minors is prohibited

Doctor John's Body Art Studio
33160 Groesbeck Hwy., Fraser, 48026 Ph: 586-415-5903
http://drjohnstats.com
Cash
Reviewed 06/2002 by Beth Gothro <mzbe...@aol.com>
Shop Review: Everything about the shop is very professional, very clean.
Plenty of privacy if needed. Easy access location.
Artist Review--Doctor John: Doctor John has decades of experience and is a
wonderful artist.
He's easy to talk to, doesn't talk you into anything you don't want, KNOWS
his stuff. I was very impressed. I intend on returning for one or more
additional tattoos, and recommend him to anyone who wants quality work
done.

--==*-< >-*==--

MINNESOTA:
Must be 18 or have parental consent.
Laws: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/609/2246.html

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

MISSISSIPPI:

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

MISSOURI
Tattoo artists must be licensed by the state.
Legislature: http://www.moga.state.mo.us
Laws: http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/c300-399/3240522.htm

Skin City Tattoo
14400 Hwy. Z Suite 13, St. Robert, 65584 Ph: 573-336-4376
http://www.catbones.com
Reviewed 04/2001 by Sara Mitchell <sa...@wam.umd.edu>
Shop Review: Note: The people from Fay's have all moved to Skin City: Fay's
Tattoo Shop is a very traditional tattoo shop. It is exactly what one
would expect to find near a large military base. The walls are covered
floor to ceiling with flash, and the counter features a display of
tattoo-related materials. Each artist has their own enclosed room. The
shop is clean and I have no doubt that the artists are very safe and
sanitary. The shop is located on a major road, and is very accessible. I
found Fay's Tattoos to be a comfortable, professional, fun environment to
be tattooed in.
Artist Review--Cat Spencer: Cat Spencer is an incredible tattoo artist and
an incredible guy. I felt completely at home working with Cat on design,
and just talking with him. He does very good work, on and off the skin.
He is experienced, award-winning, talented, and an all-around great person.
He handles color and black and grey very well, with an outstanding use of
white ink. I have seen his mastery of many different styles and types of
tattoos. He has enthusiasm for the art of tattooing. He was well worth
flying out to see!
Reviewed 04/2001 by Angie Kuhns <des...@mdo.net>
Shop Review: Each artist at the shop has their own room. The shop is very
clean and there is a very large assortment of flash to browse through.
Artist Review--Cat Spencer: Cat Spencer is a great tattooist with a strong
grasp of the fundamentals of artistic design. He is also a very easy going
nice guy, which makes getting work from him a real pleasure. He is a
"Master Tatooist" and a credit to the profession.
Reviewed 04/2001 by Russ Burdick <gr...@extrapolation.net>
Shop Review: fays is a quiet little shop filled with nice people. it looks
like a typical tattoo shop in that the walls are covered with flash. they
have a tv and dvd player in the cozy lobby and there were movies playing
through the day. everyone in the shop was very friendly and nice. the shop
was clean and they were happy to show off their cleaning room, autoclave
room, etc. great shop!
Artist Review--Cat Spencer: artist review: cat rocks! his artwork is great,
he's super friendly and fun to talk with. great chair side manner. if i
remember our conversation right, he apprenticed in kansas city for a
couple years in the early 90s and has been tattooing for about 10 years
now. i've seen his work on myself as well as several other people and
it's all great. i drove 1800 miles (round trip) to get tattooed by cat. i
cant recommend him strongly enough. cat rocks! there is further info/pics
on my webpage at http://extrapolation.net/bodyart.shtml if anyone wants
more info.

--==*-< >-*==--

MONTANA:
State Code
45-5-623
Prohibits tattooing of minors without parental consent
Legislature: http://leg.state.mt.us/

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

NEBRASKA
Unregulated.

Liquid Courage
2636 S. 84th St., Omaha, 68124 Ph: 402-926-4968
cash
Reviewed 10/2002 by BobbiLeigh <blu...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: Liquid courage is THE cleanliest shop i have ever seen. They
are an all custom shop and they have very resonable prices. They also do
free touch ups for life. Every person in the shop I have met
is very friendly and professional.
Artist Review--David: David is a custom artist. He is the most sanitary
tattoo artist I have ever seen. I told him what i wanted and he drew it up
better than I could ever imagine. His prices are extremely reasonable. His
manner is wonderful it was my first tattoo and I was very nervous at first
and he had no problem giving me a small break and he is very easy to be
comfortable around. He is somewhat of a perfectionist I will just go in
with friends and he will look at my tattoo and say it needs a little touch
up or he has a new idea for highlighting.

--==*-< >-*==--

NEVADA

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

NEW HAMPSHIRE:
Tattooing of minors is illegal (considered "endangering
the welfare of a child"). Otherwise unregulated.

Scorpion Tattooing
129 Rockingham road Rt28 Hillside Plaza, Derry, 03038 Ph: 603-434-4798
http://www.hometown.aol.com/scorpiontatu
$100/hr cash and credit cards
Reviewed 02/1998 by Maria Van Amburgh <maria...@aol.com>
Shop Review: Very clean shop. I felt like i was in a doctor's
office..everything was pure white. No smoking in the shop. No food. Had
plenty of flash and showed custom work from portfolio. Total
privacy on getting tattooed. Complete sterile conditions. Located in mini
mall. Plenty of parking, handicapped accessible.
Artist Review--Mark Hesse: Mark Hesse was a really nice
man. Very easy to talk to, and listened to what i had to
say. Explained everything very professionally. He took his time doing the
tattoo, even though there was a waiting line, I will not go anywhere else
for my tattoo.
Reviewed 04/2000 by Nadeen Belliveau <lucky...@aol.com>
Shop Review: Clean and bright shop with nothing to hide. Private area for
tattooing. Mark explain sanitation procedures to me which made me feel at
ease (My first tattoo). Shop is located off busy road Rt28 in strip mall.
This shop does walk-ins..so if there is a wait you just put your name up on
the board and go visit or eat at other shops in the mall.
Artist Review--Mark Hesse: Mark has a great personality. He told me that
all his work is guarantee and please to come back when tattoo is healed. I
highly recommended this shop cause you won't be disappointed.
Reviewed 04/2001 by Mike Jesionowski <Mik...@aol.com>
Shop Review: He is very talented with his detailed work.
Artist Review--Mark Hesse: Very clean and outstanding place. I would
highly recommend him to anyone who is thinking of tattooing.

--==*-< >-*==--

NEW JERSEY:
Legislature: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/
Laws: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=67469&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=tattoo&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=%20%20&record={963B}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=53&y=13&zz=

First Place Tattoos
195 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Hackettstown, 07840 Ph: (908) 852-8989
cash, credit cards (thats all I'm sure of)
Reviewed 10/2000 by Rachel D. Thiemann <axl...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: really nice shop, clean, showed me how all items are sanitized
and opened all needles in front of me, private 2nd floor shop several rooms
to look at work on the walls and another separate room for the work to be
tattooed.
Artist Review--Michael Holub: I first went to this artist when he was in
Newton, NJ at another shop and tracked him down so he could do another
tattoo. I found him to be great. He designed both my tattoos right in
front of me. He was honest about my color choice not being very good and
offered another option, but said he would do whichever I wanted. Of
course, I went with his recommendation and never regretted it. He was very
calming and relaxing when I was having difficulty with the pain while doing
the tattoo on my ankle. I went to several other shops before deciding to
have my tattoos done with Michael Holub and found his prices were very
reasonable ($120 for ankle and $100 for arm). I can't wait to go back and
have him design another one for me! I honestly don't know much more
background or if he has any degrees, but he is a talented artist
regardless.
Reviewed 08/2001 by Scott Caufield <super...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: Super clean, user friendly, lots of designs to pick through
hanging on the walls. He opened all material right in front of me and
explained the entire process, during the application and for the weeks
after. A+ establishment.
Artist Review--Mike Holub: Mike hand drew the design, as he did for many of
my friends. I left the design totally up to him, seeing his past work many
times. He has a degree in Art from Trenton State University and I have
seen much of his artistry beyond the tattoos. For someone I would have
never expected to be in this field, he has sure found his niche. You will
not be disappointed. Go there if you want something original, don't waste
your time picking a # off the wall and running the chance of coming across
someone with the same exact piece on their body.
Reviewed 03/2003 by Tom Bloomer <turtlen...@AOL.com>
Shop Review: Mike's shop is clean, well organized and friendly. Mike's shop
is easy to locate, has ample parking and is in a safe neighborhood.
Artist Review--Mike Holub: Mike Holub is a no nonsense, easy going,
articulate man who can
tattoo almost anything on anyone. His tattoo of mountain lion and jaguar
heads on my arms are totally outstanding. He is an artist anyone can trust,
especially those getting tattooed for the first time.

Hoboken Body Art
107 10th Street, Hoboken Ph: 201-963-4070
http://http://hobokenbodyart.com
$100/hr cash & credit cards
Reviewed 02/2003 by Jaime <bebe...@aol.com>
Shop Review: Very clean.
Artist Review--Herbert, Robbie, Frank: Very professional - comfortable
atmosphere.

--==*-< >-*==--

NEW MEXICO:
Unregulated.
Legislature: http://legis.state.nm.us/

Addictive Ink Tattoos and Body Modifications
6904 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, 87108 Ph: 505-268-5006
http://http://addictiveink.com
Cash and Credit Cards
Reviewed 09/2002 by Melissa Fletcher <angel...@att.net>
Shop Review: Addictive Ink Tattoos upholds the highest degree of
sterilization.They surpass even the requirements of most dentist and
doctors offices. They were named"NICEST TATTOO STUDIO" in 2002 by the
National Tattoo Association and named one of the Best Tattoo Studio's in
the southwest by Avalanche magazine. They are a clean personal shop that
offer private rooms when required.And they always add there personal
professionalizm to the total experience that Addictive Ink is known for.
Artist Review--David Martinez: David Martinez is an International award
winning Tattoo Artist who has won awards for everything. Color, Portraits,
Black and Grey, realistic etc. He has been Tattooing for almost 10 years
and has owned Addictive Ink for 7 1/2 of those years. He works well with
people and is known for being able to perceive what people want in their
tattoos.He is a custom tattoo artist ,so he is also known for his ability
to draw whatever you want. he's "THE" tattoo artist around thse parts.

--==*-< >-*==--

NEW YORK:
Tattooing of minors is prohibited. Tattooing became legal in New York City
in 1999.

Tattoos By Dan
9 N7, Hudson, 12534 Ph: 518-822-1894
Reviewed 08/2000 by Noah Dinnar <lodo...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: Shop is small, and not professional looking. No standard
tattooing/piercing chair.
Artist Review--Dan: Horrible job, looks nothing like the work I brought him
to copy. Lines are too thick, and are blurry. Shading is terrible, hardly
any blending at all. Face on tattoo looks nothing like picture, eyes, nose
and mouth are distorted looking. In general a horrible job. Will take
over $250 worth of work to be fixed by another artist.
Reviewed 11/2002 by Stan Schwarz <>
Shop Review: Not really a new review, but I received word that this shop
is now
under new ownership, so the other review isn't really applicable any
more. If anyone has been there recently, please submit a new
review. They also have a web page at
http://community.webtv.net/evilneedle/EVILNEEDLESTATTOO
Artist Review--:

Ink Inc.
327 Wall St., Kingston, 12401 Ph: (845)331-1993
cash, major credit cards
Reviewed 12/2001 by dawn <minni...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: great enviroment, very clean and sterile shop. sterilization
is the best they can have. very curtious people. and the art work is the
best that ive seen around.
Artist Review--Brian (Smitty): brian told me that he has 15 years
experiance and his work proves it. very respectful guy. knows how to do
great tattoos and he also body pierces. hes a well rounded person. when you
go to see him youll keep going back..

Love Hate Tattoo
217 1/2 Alexander St, Rochester, 14619 Ph: 716) 262-6440
http://www.lovehatetattoo.com
$100/hr cash
Reviewed 07/2001 by Stephen Brown <gan...@rochester.rr.com>
Shop Review: Shop was clean, amazingly friendly, and not at all "bikerish."
parking is a bitch...such is city life. jet and i worked quickly and
efficiently through art decisions and placement, i brought in what i wanted
done, we did some changes, cleaned up the artwork and got to work quickly.
Artist Review--Jet: Jet was really very calming to work with, and i was
very glad that he had a good background in Hindu artwork. He was very
relaxing to work with, and gave me all the time i needed for several 5
minute breaks in our almost three hour session.

Marky Marks Tattoo
262 Main st., Saugerties, 12477 Ph: 845-246-0100
http://http://www.markymarkstattoos.com
$100/hr Cash, credit cards
Reviewed 10/2002 by James Robberts <redn...@hvc.rr.com>
Shop Review: Cleanest shop i have ever seen. Every question anwsered, no
attitude, sterilizer in sight, all
new ink and needles. Licensed Nurse is his wife and piercer. They gave me
aftercare and detailed instructions. Wouldnt go anywhere else!
Artist Review--Mark: Professional, well worth the money. From Long Island.
Quality work, I couldn't believe the detail in my tattoo. Looks better than
the pic I brought him. He covered a nightmare on my arm with a realy unique
design drawn right on me.

--==*-< >-*==--

NORTH CAROLINA

Carolina Tattoo
1029 W. Lee Street, Greensboro, 27403 Ph: 336-271-2030
Reviewed 01/2001 by Bethany Handy <girl_...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: The shop was very nice and clean. The staff was helpfull and
friendly. The layout of the shop was also a plus. My experience was a
pleasant one at Carolina Tattoo
Artist Review--Wayne Kendrick: Wayne is VERY skilled! He is easy to speak
with and answered all of my questions. The area was clean, and the tools
were sterile. I did my research before coming to Wayne Kendrick, and I am
PLEASED by his art.

Blue Flame Tattoo & Body Piercing
3015 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, 27606 Ph: 919-755-3355
$60/hr cash
Reviewed 07/2002 by Val R. <layne...@angelfire.com>
Shop Review: Blue Flame is the best parlor I've been in (and I've been in
several). It's very clean, the staff is helpful, and the atmosphere is very
cool. Each artist has his own room, so there is lots of privacy. The vibe
in there is really good. If I don't like the vibe I get when I go to a
parlor, I won't have any ink done there. I've had two done now at Blue
Flame, and I will keep going back. It's great.
Artist Review--Ray Alexander: Ray is GREAT. He is very professional, and I
get lots of compliments on the tats he's done for me. His prices are very
reasonable (especially for Raleigh NC). He is a terrific artist and I will
definitely keep going back to him. He's been doing this for about seven
years, and he worked in a couple of cities before moving here. He has a fun
sense of humor and he's a good conversationalist when you're in the chair.
What I really like, though, is how he works with his clients to get their
chosen designs just right.

--==*-< >-*==--

NORTH DAKOTA
Unregulated.
Legislature: http://www.state.nd.us/lr/

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

OHIO

Body Art By Gene & Co.
148 W Columbus Ave, Bellefontaine, 43311 Ph: 937-599-2711
cash,credit,checks,etc.
Reviewed 02/2002 by Summer <BlondSas...@Yahoo.Com>
Shop Review: The Shop Was VERY Clean And GREAT Sanitation. The Neighborhood
Is Very Nice And Clean Also.
Artist Review--Gene: It Was Very Awesome! He's A Great Person And Keeps
Your Mind Off Of The Pain That You Might Have. I Dont Know All Of That
Other Stuff.

The Dragon's Cachet
106 W Chiliicothe Ave, Bellefontaine, 43311 Ph: 937 599 2258
$75/hr cash
Reviewed 01/2003 by Andrew Kights <swift...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: Enviroment was sterile. They made sure to break the needle in
front of me and made me feel like I belonged there.
Artist Review--Mike and Fran: Considerate people. Fun and was able to
answer my questions without thinking about it.

--==*-< >-*==--

OKLAHOMA:
Tattooing is only allowed by licensed medical practitioners as part of
treatment.
Legislature: http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

OREGON

Atlas Tattoo Studio
2935 NE Broadway, Portland,, 97232 Ph: 503 281 7499
http://www.thinkink.com/atlas
$120/hr cash only
Reviewed 12/2000 by Chantel <Broad>
Shop Review: corner of 30th and broadway in northeast. right across from
giant fred meyer, safe and clean neighborhood, loads of parking at
freddy's, and it's free! the shop is clean, well organized and very
comfortable. there are curtains all around and screens for those private
moments and a candy jar to keep everyone from having low blood sugar! all
implements are autoclaved, new needles for every customer, and work areas
are wrapped in plastic and then cleaned after each person. it's very clean
and safe!
Artist Review--Jennifer Billig, Dan Gils: jen has tattooed all over. she
eventually moved to colorado and met dan. they both worked at bolder ink
with jerry ware. they moved to portland three years ago and opened atlas.
here, they met lewis, who had previously worked at atomic tattoo. Prior to
that, lewis worked in alaska and arizona. Jerry has since moved up to
seattle, but jen, dan, and lew all work at atlas still. all have bachelors
of fine arts, and have been tattooing for approximately eight or nine
years. they are all exceedingly friendly as well, with excellent chairside
manner. they are most concerned with making customers feel comfortable,
not intimidated.
Reviewed 12/2000 by Chantel Broad <pinkpa...@earthlink.net>
Shop Review: super clean, friendly, no attitude,down to earth and extremely
passionate about their art. all have apprenticed with swell people, have
b.a.'s and are just damn fine!
Artist Review--dan gilsdorf, jennifer bi: extremely clean and hygeinic as
well as comfortable and friendly atmosphere. curtains for privacy
optional, easy to find, loads of parking

--==*-< >-*==--

PENNSYLVANIA:
18 Pennsylvania C. S. @ 6311 makes it illegal to tattoo
minors under 18 without parental consent. Violations are considered a
third degree misdemeanor. Otherwise unregulated.
Legislature: http://www.state.pa.us/govstate.html

Olde City Tattoo
44 South 2nd Street, Philadelphia, 19106 Ph: 215-627-6271
Cash, credit cards
Reviewed 07/2002 by Stacey Robinson <staceyr...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: The shop is sanitary, I believe that it is owned and
operated
by a collective of artists who wanted to work in a place they would like to
go to.
Everything you mentioned on this site about sanitation, needles, ink use,
etc
was followed/observed. Neighborhood is a fairly popular (mostly recently)

downtown area. They do have at least one separate room for privacy. The
environment
is amazing. I am always intimidated when I go into a shop and everyone
there (
artist or customers) has at least one sleeve done, but these people are
very nice,
friendly, open, non-judgemental. I always leave feeling that I want to
come
back for more. Probably why every person with a substantial amount of
tattoo
work that I asked 'where?', mentioned this place - and suggested
that ANY of the artists would do.
Artist Review--Drew: Drew told me that the shop opened 3 years ago and

he is one of the original owner/operators. Before that
he worked at another place in the city (not sure for how long). The most
amazing thing about Drew is his
ability to make me feel comfortable. He is very gentle too. So
basically, he
gets the information out of you that is required to do a good job. (Got me
open up.) He designed my idea without an extra charge (granted, it probably
wasn't that complicated - heart w/wings and lettering, BUT, still, it was
my way AND
probably about 7 versions - yikes!) He talks nervous people through the
session.
I actually went there with someone else the first time and even then I
noticed, he treated us differently. He adjusted to my friend needing more
handling than
myself. He was a different person with each of us. That's pretty good.
Highly reccommended.

--==*-< >-*==--

RHODE ISLAND
Prohibits piercing and tattooing minors without parental consent

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

SOUTH CAROLINA
Tattooing is banned except for cosmetic procedures performed by
a physician.

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

SOUTH DAKOTA
Chapter 9-34-17
Allows municipalities to regulate tattooing and body piercing
Chapter 26-10-19
Prohibits tattooing minors without parental consent
Legislature: http://legis.state.sd.us/index.cfm

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

TENNESSEE
39-15-403
Prohibits tattooing of minors

Lone Wolf Tattoo
1602 21st Ave.S., Nashville, 37212 Ph: 615-321-3111
http://www.lonewolfbodyart.com
$100/hr cash&credit
Reviewed 12/2000 by Rosamond Murphy <rosamon...@home.com>
Shop Review: Located in a busy university area,in Hillsboro Village. Very
clean,without feeling sterile. The owner Ben Dixon has a private room for
tattooing,the other artists have 1/2 walls.Very friendly staff and general
atmosphere.lots of flash avaliable.
Artist Review--Brandon Hanna: exellent chairside manner,very calming.well
maintained,sterile equipment.imaginative and conscientious artist was kind
enough to gently steer me away from flash for my first tattoo,that i would
have regreted by now.shows complete respect for you,your body,and your
artwork/ideas.very versatile as far as style go,but his celtic knotwork and
tribal work is inspiring.
Reviewed 02/2001 by Jennifer Levins <xuw...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: I was extremely impressed by the cleanliness of the shop - it
amazed me! All the people who worked there were very cool, yet
professional at the same time. Customers have the choice of a semi-open
area or a private room. I highly recommend it!
Artist Review--Brandon Hanna: Brandon was excellent! He was more than
willing to spend time with my friend (who also got a tat) and I to make
sure our designs were perfect. He made us feel very calm and at ease.
I've recommended him to several people, and will continue to do so! In
fact, I'm returning to him in a few days for more work.

--==*-< >-*==--

TEXAS
State licensing and inspection of tattoo shops. Tattooing of minors
prohibited with a few exceptions.
Legislature: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/
Laws: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/he/he014600.html#he013.146.012

Obscurities/Trilogy Tattoo
4000-A Cedar Springs Rd., Dallas, 75219 Ph: 214 559-3706
http://www.obscurities.com
Reviewed 04/2000 by Chuck Eaves <cea...@telepak.net>
Shop Review: Very professional. First tattoo, but I think it looks great.
Mark was very friendly and helpful.
Artist Review--Mark Thompson: In a word, Flawless. No jewelry was sold
that wasn't autoclaved. The staff was helpful and infomative. I've been
in Doctor's offices that weren't this clean. If you are anywhere near
Dallas, Give them a look.
Reviewed 01/2003 by Earl Barnett <jlg31...@aol.com>
Shop Review: The shop is very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.
It is a very laid back atmosphere. Each artist has his own room with the
ability to close it off to make it private.
Artist Review--Mark Thompson: Mark Thompson did a cover-up piece for me
placing a dragon over an outline of texas that covered my shoulder. He
designed the dragon himself. I could not be more pleased. The work is
awesome and the colors work well together. Mark knows his stuff. He works
with you, not just on you.

Miss Fortune
1633 Westheimer, Houston, 77006 Ph: 713-523-1404
Cash, Credit cards
Reviewed 06/2001 by Kat Sample <smiling...@yahoo.com>
Shop Review: Very clean shop, with nice music, no smoking/drinking inside.
Friendly environment and artists. Fun neighborhood.
Artist Review--Mike O.: This tiger is my third tattoo, but it is the
best-looking one. I know Mike from doing a tattoo on my mother-in-law.
She was very nervous, but relaxed when he started working on the design she
drew herself--a very complicated Celtic heart. It was her first and the
only tattoo, but looked like she didn't have any more fear right after he
began. Then, couple of months later, I was getting mine done; so, I went
to Mike. Even though the shop was about to close, Mike stayed and did a
wonderful job! I love my tiger; it's so clear, sharp, and good-looking that
I am still very exited about it! I would recommend Mike to anyone who
would want his tattoo to look as great as mine!

DandyLand
1821B Bandera Rd, San Antonio, 78218 Ph: (210) 432-5747
http://www.dandyland.com
Cash, checks, credit cards
Reviewed 02/2001 by James McCullough III <morpheu...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: The shop was very well maintained. Clean, comfortable,
exceeded all state laws/regulations. All piercing and tattoo areas had
could be closed off for privacy. All the staff is exceptionally helpful,
and they are just fun people to be around.
Artist Review--Miles: I know only a bit about Mile's background, that he
apprenticed in a shop in Corpus Christi, Texas, before moving to San
Antonio. As to the quality of his work, I could not be happier. Due to the
nature of the tattoo I wanted, he was only able to make a silhouette of the
circle in the center. Otherwise, he had to refer to the picture that I
brought in, of the eclipse I wanted. He freehanded all but that center
circle, and mixed the colors to damn near perfectly match what I brought
in. His manner was very open and courteous. He answered all of the
questions I asked him, whether it be about the tattoo or just making
conversation. He also allowed a friend of mine to film him working for a
documentary said friend was making for a film class. It was evident in
talking to him that he enjoyed what he did and based on my first
experience, he is quite good. I have referred several of my friends to him,
all of which are just as happy as I am with their work, and I have gone
back for two more tattoos with him myself.

--==*-< >-*==--

UTAH
State Code
76-10-2201
Prohibits piercing and tattooing minors without parental consent

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

VERMONT:
Requires parental consent to tattoo minors.
Legislature: http://www.leg.state.vt.us/
Laws: http://198.187.128.12/vermont/lpext.dll/Infobase/22d7c/24945/2495b?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&q=tattoo&x=Advanced&2.0#LPHit1

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

VIRGINIA:
Code of Virginia 18.2-371.3 Prohibits tattooing minors without parental
consent.
Legislature: http://legis.state.va.us/
Laws: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-371.3

Abstract Art
Plaza 17, Gloucester Ph: 804-642-0028
http://www.abstractarttattoo.com
Cash, credit cards
Reviewed 09/2000 by Rebecca S. Barninger <barning...@cvn.net>
Shop Review: Abstract Art tattoo shop is the cleanest shop I have ever
visited. It is also large , open and kind of airy. Gives you room to look
and really think about the piece you are thinking of getting. The staff
are all helpful and willing to answer all your questions no matter how lame
they might sound. They are friendly so they make you feel comfortable.
They give you special attention and make you feel like your tattoo is the
most important one they have ever done.
Artist Review--James Jarvis: James has done 8 tattoos on me. He is clean,
friendly and full of life. The work he has done has been mostly custom
work. He has never disappointed me with the out come. The tattoos are
vibrant and seem to carry a life of their own. I now live in another state
but I love his work so much I travel 5 hours to have his work done on me.
In my humble opinion there is no better artist then James Jarvis. James is
also trained in blood pathagens and makes sure everything is clean and
sterlized. He has been an artist for Abstract for about 6 years.

Accent Tattoo
2072 Route 17, Gloucester, 23061 Ph: 804-642-7473
Reviewed 05/2002 by Alex Mankowich <prince...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: Shop was neat and clean. There were places to sit and the
flashes were right there to see. It was close to a 7-Eleven for cold drinks
and ciggies. People were nice. Much better feeling than the other places I
stopped in.
Artist Review--Lauren: Lauren was fabulous! I felt very comfortable with
her from the first day I walked into the shop. This was my first ever
tattoo, and I was nervous and needed many breaks. She was patient with me
and remained professional and polite through my experience. She let me
bring friends to hold my hand. She gave me a cold drink and brought in a
fan for me. I would recommend Lauren to other female friends considering a
tattoo. One of my non-tattooed friends who came with me now wants a tattoo
after sitting through mine with me. I think that's a great statement for
Lauren-I certainly could not have said that after the first tine I saw one
of my friends get a tattoo! Oh yes-I love my new sun tattoo too! I am
showing it to everyone. Even my 64 year old, hyper-conservative mom has
admitted it is pretty. (And she should know-she gets the honors of putting
on my tattoo goo every few hours).

--==*-< >-*==--

WASHINGTON
Revised Code of Washington
26.28.085 Prohibits tattooing minors
82.04.050 Concerning retail sales and tattooing
Legislature: http://leginfo.leg.wa.gov/

Electric Crayons Tattooing Co.
1170 sw Bay St, Port Orchard, 98366 Ph: 360-895-8751
$100/hr Cash Credit Debit
Reviewed 12/2002 by Dustin Markson <RIZ...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: This shop is state of the art, with separate wet lab super
clean
environment and professionalism put before ego. Ray and Skrappy
also of Storybook ink have done a wonderful job in designing and
tattooing myself and my friends. There is no substitute for
exellence and cleanliness.
Artist Review--Fat Ray: Ray is so funny. He kept my sister from crying one
time and he
wasn't even tattooing on her. The bedside manner of the entire
shop is excellent The diversity of the five artists is unmatched
in Kitsap county.

Vyvyn's Tattoo
1516 Western Avenue, Seattle, 98101 Ph: (206) 622-1535
http://www.vyvyn.com
cash
Reviewed 09/2000 by Jenny Peck <offwitht...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: A private shop on the west side of the Pike Place Market.
There is no flash on the walls, only custom tattoo art by Vyvyn (on
display). The decor is varied with a lovely and fun theme. It always
smells good. The cleanliness is impeccable, and offers complete privacy
for both consultation and tattoo session.
Artist Review--Vyvyn Lazonga: Vyvyn is an amazing person. She not only
helped me to fully-realize the design I had been meditating on, but
practically psychically pulled certain elements of the design from my being
to create the perfect piece of art for me. She is fun, friendly,
cooperative, open-minded, and extremely sensitive to client needs. She is
a pioneering female tattoo artist, and has broad experience in many
different tattoo styles and environments (having more than 25 years of
experience and far more qualifications than I could possibly list here)
that have given her knowledge and foundation, and has allowed her to evolve
into the *extremely* talented and unique artist that she is today. I can't
recommend her highly enough. She is everything I was searching for in a
tattoo artist, and more.

Constant Creations
704 N. Monroe, Spokane, 99205 Ph: (509) 327-4254
$100/hr
Reviewed 03/2003 by Cassandra <african...@hotmail.com>
Shop Review: The shop was very clean, with a nice sized waiting room. All
staff were friendly and receptive to my needs. When I went back with a
problem, I was given great tips on how to fix the problem.
Artist Review--Clae: Clae was very gentle, this was my first tattoo, he
started off lightly and blurred into heavy lines later, when i became more
comfy. there was no shortage of conversation and the whole thing was
lighthearted. he's a very skilled tattooist and a very nice guy.

Flaming Dragon Tattoo Co
9724 79th St SW, Tacoma, 98498 Ph: (253) 627-7203
$100/hr Cash
Reviewed 03/2002 by Mark Klue <mark...@qwest.net>
Shop Review: The shop is clean, bright and comfortable. There are two
chairs. If you want flash, they have flash. Bring in your own design or
concept and they will make a tattoo of it. They also have a piercer on
staff. The actual location of the shop is in the Asian district on S 38th,
in Tacoma.
Artist Review--Scott Schafer: Scott has the patience to do good tribal
work, like mine. But his skill shines with his large Asian work. He won
four awards at Reno. A friend has a coy fish that goes from her shoulder to
her thigh. Beautiful work to match the samurai half sleeves Scott did for
her before.

--==*-< >-*==--

WEST VIRGINIA:
Code of West Virginia
Article 33
Prohibits tattooing minors without parental consent;
regulates tattooing

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

WISCONSIN
State Statutes
252.23 Regulates tattooing and body piercing. Tattoo artists are licensed
by the state, and shops are inspected by the health department.
Legislature: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/
Laws: http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=141919&advquery=tattoo&headingswithhits=on&infobase=stats.nfo&record={11660}&recordswithhits=on&zz=

Steves Tattoo
1148 Williamson St., Madison, 53719 Ph: (608)-251-6111
Reviewed 01/2001 by Monte Klink <mont...@netscape.net>
Shop Review: very satisfactory, really nice people working there. Clean,
area was good, great environment to be in
Artist Review--Gary Gaulke: Awesome, he's a great person, does very good
quality work, hope to get inked by him again

Skin Candy Tattoo
31131 Washington Ave., Racine, 53403 Ph: 262-632-0549
http://http://www.skincandytattoos.com
Reviewed 03/2003 by Jessica Wollmuth <ner...@tds.net>
Shop Review: This shop was very clean. They use hospital sterilizied
instruments. And new instruments are used on every client. The
environment of the shop was very lade back and relaxing. I felt very at
home when I went into this shop. The shop is located right downtown in a
fairly good neighborhood.
Artist Review--Dave Nack: This artist is one of the nicest guys I have met.
I visited many shops before choosing Skin Candy. I found Dave to be very
friendly and able to work with me on what I wanted for my tattoo. His
pricing was very reasonable too. Seeing as this was my first tattoo, Dave
walked me through every step of the tattoo process, and always took time to
ask me how I was doing.

--==*-< >-*==--

WYOMING
State Statutes
Title 14
Prohibits tattooing of minors

No reviews have been submitted for shops here.

--==*-< >-*==--

New Zealand

Living Canvas Tattoo Studio
77c Briggs Rd, Christchurch, New Zealand Ph: 64-3-3858969
Reviewed 06/1998 by Amy Simmons <simm...@xtra.co.nz>
Shop Review: Appeared very sanitary. Autoclave used (+ new
needles/ink). No smoking/eating/drinking in the separate room used for
tattooing. Complete privacy - ALWAYS, no matter where on your body you
are getting the tattoo. Appointments not always necessary, except for
genital tattoos where appointments must be made. Does not offer
piercings.
Artist Review--Korrina: Owns the shop and has won quite a few
awards. Very friendly, helpful and approachable - answered all my
questions in a friendly & professional manner, and was great at
helping me to relax before having the tattoo done. I provided the
drawing of the design I wanted, and she did it almost exactly as I had
drawn it. I was very satisfied with the result. Offers a free
follow-up appointment to make sure the tattoo is healing properly.

--==*-< >-*==--

Portugal

Bad Bones Tattoos
Rua do Norte, 73, Lisbon, Portugal Ph: +351.1.346 08 88
Reviewed 11/1998 by Miguel Rego <mr...@ogilvy.pt>
Shop Review: A very nice and friendly shop. Two private rooms and one
lobby/reception. It's in a old neighborhood that used to be a kind of
"redlight" and now has tons of bars, restaurants, art shops, smart shops
and alternative spots. It's 100% safe and clean. Health authorities
check the place & the people who work there regularly on the shop
request.
Artist Review--João Paulo Fontinha: Used to do illustrations for
advertising.
He has been tattoing for 7 or 8 years now. He is one of the best-known
portuguese tattoo artists. Very good on drawing, and different
styles. I enjoy particularly his tribal, bio-mechanical and cartoon
stuff.

--==*-< >-*==--

Scotland

Irezumi Tattoo Studio
25 Dowanhill Street, Glasgow G11 5QR, Scotland Ph: 0141 342 4008
Cash
Reviewed 10/1999 by Leslye Weir <lezl...@aol.com>
Shop Review: The shop is in an easy to find and very diverse location, with
good parking. Hygiene is of high importance with all stringent procedures
carried out in front of you, with equipment being autoclaved. Shop has
separate non-smoking waiting area and is light and modern inside, with
plenty examples of flash and Steven's own artwork on display along with
many photographs.
Artist Review--Steven Wrigley: Steven is a friendly and easy going guy
(watch out for the wry sense of humour!), more than happy to discuss ideas
and suggestions. A very conscientious worker, nay perfectionist, willing
to draw designs from your ideas for your approval. Has a great eye for
placement and use of colour. An unassuming character with pride in his
work and your satisfaction. Son of the late Terry Wrigley of Terry's
Tattoos (also Glasgow)

This ends "rec.arts.bodyart: Tattoo FAQ 5/9--Artist List." This should
be followed by "rec.arts.bodyart: Tattoo FAQ 6/9--Care of new tattoos."
--
Stan Schwarz | Extreme sports...offer "some kind of physical
stanATcosmo.pasadena.ca.us | analog to the thrill of installing Linux or