Re: [REBOL-GG] Re: Rebol syntax, a major issue

Carl Read

Nov 27, 2013, 4:46:38 PM11/27/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
Spaces as delimiters are a core part of Rebol in my opinion, and it wouldn't be Rebol any more if we were forced to seperate with commas and so on.

Personally, I've had little problem with no spaces required to seperate parens and blocks from other values. I just see it as part of the art in Rebol's design. Harder to program into the language, but nicer for the programmers who have to use it.

-- Carl Read.

On 27-November-2013 Luca wrote,

>it does not look encouraging... I thought spaces were a thing of the
>past... I come from a scripting language developed in the '70s and we
>struggled and managed pretty well to get away from it but there are still
>few gotachs you better be careful about. Personally I see it as a
>limitation that will put people off.
>let me also state that I'm a beginner here and I have not tried and tested
>this out but your link is uncomfortable in 2013.
>I don't think a delimiter would be detrimental to a language or programming
>approach...
>is this true for V3 as well?
>thanks
>
>On Sunday, 17 November 2013 13:17:27 UTC+1, Ladislav wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to attract your attention to http://issue.cc/r3/2094. I
>> consider it a major issue. Discussion welcome.
>>
>> Ladislav

Ladislav Mecir

Nov 28, 2013, 12:17:04 PM11/28/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Carl,

2013/11/27 Carl Read <ca...@cybercraft.co.nz>

Spaces as delimiters are a core part of Rebol in my opinion, and it wouldn't be Rebol any more if we were forced to seperate with commas and so on.

Personally, I've had little problem with no spaces required to seperate parens and blocks from other values. I just see it as part of the art in Rebol's design. Harder to program into the language, but nicer for the programmers who have to use it.

-- Carl Read.

- Ladislav

Ladislav