R3-GUI

Ladislav

Jan 8, 2013, 10:19:11 AM1/8/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
* R3-GUI is a completely new GUI system for R3 implemented in Rebol by Carl Sassenrath and continued by Saphirion

* R3-GUI is open source, licensed under Apache 2.0

* R3-GUI is cross-platform, will work with any R3 interpreter having View capabilities and will be available built in such interpreter(s)

* R3-GUI will be on GitHub, currently it is available from http://development.saphirion.com/downloads/

Ladislav

Ladislav

Jan 8, 2013, 10:52:01 AM1/8/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
Differences between R3-GUI and R2 VID:

* R3-GUI should be better suited for large applications (retaining the simplicity)

* R3-GUI has a "flexible" resizing system (layout types with different resizing algorithms can be added, currently there are two resizing types implemented and available)

* R3-GUI has a box model

* R3-GUI uses actors (style functions)

* R3-GUI uses "materials" system

* R3-GUI is code is better optimized than VID was

* DRAW was improved significantly for R3-GUI

Ladislav

pd

Jan 8, 2013, 2:12:17 PM1/8/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
great news!  is R3 mature for production system?

Ladislav

pd

Jan 8, 2013, 2:12:41 PM1/8/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
do you know if R2 will ever be open source?

Ladislav

Jan 8, 2013, 3:24:33 PM1/8/13
to re...@googlegroups.com

Dne úterý, 8. ledna 2013 20:12:17 UTC+1 pd napsal(a):
great news!  is R3 mature for production system?

Actually, it is. Saphirion already has a commercial application in R3

Ladislav

Jan 8, 2013, 3:25:36 PM1/8/13
to re...@googlegroups.com

Dne úterý, 8. ledna 2013 20:12:41 UTC+1 pd napsal(a):
do you know if R2 will ever be open source?

That is not likely.

Ladislav

Jan 8, 2013, 3:32:53 PM1/8/13
to re...@googlegroups.com

Dne úterý, 8. ledna 2013 21:24:33 UTC+1 Ladislav napsal(a):

Dne úterý, 8. ledna 2013 20:12:17 UTC+1 pd napsal(a):
great news!  is R3 mature for production system?

Actually, it is. Saphirion already has a commercial application in R3

Sorry, I should have been more careful. R3 is still alpha "officially", since it is missing some parts considered important for some uses. Otherwise, the reliability of R3 is not bad.

Carl Read

Jan 12, 2013, 11:43:49 PM1/12/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
Found time to try this, but I'm confused. I downloaded...

http://development.saphirion.com/resources/r3-view.exe

and that runs fine. So far though, I can't get VIEW to work. I've tried this...

>> view [title "abc"]
** Script error: layout word is not bound to a context
** Where: if view
** Near: if block? window [
window: layout/background window any ...

But no go.

And I've tried downloading and LOADing this...

http://development.saphirion.com/resources/r3-gui.r3

based on these instructions on the Download page: "To get the GUI, start the EXE without ANY command line parameters, load the r3-gui.r3 file and than some examples".

but also to no avail. Which wasn't helped by there being no links to the 'examples'. So I've been going by this...

http://development.saphirion.com/rebol/r3gui/

which suggests 'view [title "abc"]' should work, but it doesn't.

Not a good start!

-- Carl Read.

On 8-January-2013 Ladislav wrote,
>Ladislav
>
>--
>"REBOL" group.
>https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rebol/-/6TGZoIcsbrIJ.

Ladislav

Jan 13, 2013, 6:01:10 AM1/13/13
to re...@googlegroups.com

Dne neděle, 13. ledna 2013 5:43:49 UTC+1 CarlRead napsal(a):
Found time to try this, but I'm confused. I downloaded...

http://development.saphirion.com/resources/r3-view.exe

and that runs fine. So far though, I can't get VIEW to work. I've tried this...

>> view [title "abc"]
** Script error: layout word is not bound to a context
** Where: if view
** Near: if block? window [
    window: layout/background window any ...

But no go.

Not a good job! You were supposet to run

    load-gui

first.

Ladislav

Carl Read

Jan 13, 2013, 1:04:43 PM1/13/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
On 13-January-2013 Ladislav wrote,
Thanks Ladislav. That worked. Perhaps the VIEW error message should mention it instead of talking about layout and context and such?

-- Carl Read.

Ladislav

Jan 13, 2013, 4:18:48 PM1/13/13
to re...@googlegroups.com

Dne neděle, 13. ledna 2013 19:04:43 UTC+1 CarlRead napsal(a):
On 13-January-2013 Ladislav wrote,

>Dne neděle, 13. ledna 2013 5:43:49 UTC+1 CarlRead napsal(a):

Robert informed me that the LOAD-GUI call will not be necessary in some future rebol3-view versions from Saphirion.

Carl Read

Jan 14, 2013, 1:58:07 PM1/14/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
On 13-January-2013 Ladislav wrote,

>Dne neděle, 13. ledna 2013 19:04:43 UTC+1 CarlRead napsal(a):

>> Thanks Ladislav. That worked. Perhaps the VIEW error message should
>> mention it instead of talking about layout and context and such?
>>
>Robert informed me that the LOAD-GUI call will not be necessary in some
>future rebol3-view versions from Saphirion.

If I was improving view, I'd give it a /style refinement. Giving you the choice of...

view [title "Hello"] ; Use default style.
view/style [title "Hello"] my-style ; Use user-defined style.

You know it makes sense.

-- Carl Read.

Gregg Irwin

Jan 14, 2013, 2:41:31 PM1/14/13
to Carl Read
CR> If I was improving view, I'd give it a /style refinement. Giving you the choice of...

CR> view [title "Hello"] ; Use default style.
CR> view/style [title "Hello"] my-style ; Use user-defined style.

Why not just use STYLIZE and the STYLES facet in VID as it works today
in R2?

--Gregg

Carl Read

Jan 15, 2013, 12:09:27 AM1/15/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
On 14-January-2013 Gregg Irwin wrote,
Because they're in the layout, so you have to edit the layout just to try out different styles.

Ideally, users should be able to choose the style they like from an ever-growing list of publicly-available styles. Think of Wordpress styles, but for View. Then they could have consistant styles over all their Rebol programs, regardless of who writes the programs.

What should and shouldn't be included in such top-level styles would need to be carefully thought out of course. It'd be worth it though.

-- Carl Read.

Gregg Irwin

Jan 15, 2013, 2:58:21 AM1/15/13
to Carl Read
>>Why not just use STYLIZE and the STYLES facet in VID as it works today
>>in R2?

CR> Because they're in the layout, so you have to edit the layout
CR> just to try out different styles.

I mean like the example on http://www.rebol.com/docs/words/wstylize.html.
Define the stylesheet, then reference that. With a /style refinement,
once your layout is more than a few lines, the styles you're
referencing will come way after the layout spec block.

--Gregg

Carl Read

Jan 15, 2013, 3:38:51 AM1/15/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
On 15-January-2013 Gregg Irwin wrote,
This I understand.

But forget the details. What I want is for users to be able to easily find and use a style that'll effect all their Rebol programs. So maybe it should go in user.r, overriding the default style.

This would have two benefits: Users could have GUIs with a consistant look and feel that suits them and programmers wouldn't need to spend too much time on the details of the GUI - they'd just code for the default.

If this was encouraged, you'd get people designing styles just for the pleasure of it. And to start it happening, just include half a dozen or so styles with the Rebol downloads.

-- Carl Read.

Ladislav

Jan 15, 2013, 4:13:36 AM1/15/13
to re...@googlegroups.com

Dne úterý, 15. ledna 2013 9:38:51 UTC+1 CarlRead napsal(a):

But forget the details. What I want is for users to be able to easily find and use a style that'll effect all their Rebol programs. So maybe it should go in user.r, overriding the default style.

This would have two benefits: Users could have GUIs with a consistant look and feel that suits them and programmers wouldn't need to spend too much time on the details of the GUI - they'd just code for the default.

If this was encouraged, you'd get people designing styles just for the pleasure of it. And to start it happening, just include half a dozen or so styles with the Rebol downloads.

-- Carl Read.

You obviously mean skins. They *are* planned.

Ladislav

Carl Read

Jan 16, 2013, 3:05:05 AM1/16/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
On 15-January-2013 Ladislav wrote,

>Dne �ter�, 15. ledna 2013 9:38:51 UTC+1 CarlRead napsal(a):
Okay - that's good.

-- Carl Read.

adrians

Jan 17, 2013, 12:10:50 PM1/17/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
Here's the first casualty in the style confusion brought on by R3-GUI. R3-GUI 'style' should be renamed to 'widget'. Just thought I'd keep hammering the point...

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:05:05 AM UTC-5, CarlRead wrote:
On 15-January-2013 Ladislav wrote,

Ladislav

Jan 20, 2013, 5:44:47 AM1/20/13
to re...@googlegroups.com

Dne čtvrtek, 17. ledna 2013 18:10:50 UTC+1 adrians napsal(a):
Robert Muench wrote a new "Getting started" document for R3-GUI:

I am adjusting it now so that a user starting to work with R3-GUI shall find in it the terms "widget", "face", "widget type" and "style" mentioned in a consistent way compatible with the way how the terms "widget" and "widget type" are mentioned in Wikipedia.

Ladislav

Ladislav

Mar 26, 2013, 5:26:40 AM3/26/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
Important message for all R3 graphics fans from Cyphre (repost from Rebol 4 AltMe):

I have finished IMAGE datatype(including all image codecs and other related code) change so it uses 'standard' alphachannel values (i.e., 0 trasparent 255 opaque) to be compatible with the 'rest of world'.
Without this change we would have problems to connect r3 to graphics systems on misc platforms/graphics frameworks etc.
This change will be in the upcoming revised R3 graphics code which is being worked on. So that is just FYI to avoid any duplicated efforts (in case you wanted to work on that...).

Ladislav

Jul 19, 2013, 1:25:16 PM7/19/13
to re...@googlegroups.com
Important message from Robert:

We have pushed our R3-GUI sources to Github. The project was cleaned up, old stuff removed etc. So it should be in pretty good shape. We keep the GibHub repository in sync with our internal SVN repository. We will further take a look at pull requests and take your feedback into our main line. You can find the repository here:

- Ladislav