US Presidential Elections. An Unconscious Wish for Oppression and Dominance by the Ideological Left.

Florian Galler

Nov 5, 2016, 5:31:51 PM11/5/16
to realpsychohistory

Stock prices fell nine days in a row, because of rising expectations that Trump might win the presidential election:

usatoday.com – Nov 4, 2016

Stocks close lower as S&P posts longest losing streak since 1980

The Standard & Poor's 500  index closed lower Friday for a ninth straight day, marking its longest losing streak in 36 years, as uncertainty and angst related to Tuesday's tough-to-call presidential election overshadowed a government report showing continued steady job growth.

Wall Street had been pricing in a Clinton win, but as polls have narrowed following Clinton's lastest email scandal, investors have opted to hedge against the possibility of a Trump surprise win.

The mass-psychological delusional wave in favor of Trump is getting larger, you can see a rising consensus even among the left that it is not worth to vote for the Democrats.

AP via msn.com - Nov 4, 2016

Washington state elector says he won't vote for Clinton

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Democratic elector in Washington state said Friday he won't vote for Hillary Clinton even if she wins the popular vote in his state on Election Day... Robert Satiacum, a member of Washington's Puyallup Tribe, supported Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary. He said he believes Clinton is a "criminal" who doesn't care enough about American Indians and "she's done nothing but flip back and forth.”

He said he has wrestled with what to do, but feels that neither Clinton nor Republican Donald Trump can lead the country.

"She will not get my vote, period," he said in a phone interview with The Associated Press.

The following article by theguardian.com dates from Oct 26, 2016. It was uploaded on the leftist Yahoo Group psychohistory-historicalmotivations on Nov 1 and transferred to the also left-leaning Google Group Clio Psyche on Nov 3 and was positively welcomed. In my opinion it contains a hidden wish for “Oppression and Dominance” and shields our reasonable personality parts from the need to face up to reality and see the world as it is.

I will show some quotes from this article and comment them in blue color.

theguardian.com – Oct 26, 2016

Trump is no outsider: he mirrors our political culture

George Monbiot

Did Trump invent the xenophobia and racism that infuse his campaign? Did he invent his conspiracy theories about stolen elections and the criminality of his opponents? No. They were there all along. What is new and different about him is that he has streamlined these narratives into a virulent demagoguery. But the opportunity has been building for years; all that was required was someone blunt and unscrupulous enough to take it.

·         Is it really so important whether Trump has invented by himself the demagoguery technics  he utilises so masterly?

·         Should we not consider the amount of destruction we could expect from Trump as president? His preference for autocrats like Putin, his promise to extradite hundred of thousends of immigrants, his downplaying the consequences of a possible  atomic attack on Europe…

America’s fourth president, James Madison, envisaged the United States constitution as representation tempered by competition between factions. In the 10th federalist paper, written in 1787, he argued that large republics were better insulated from corruption than small, or “pure” democracies, as the greater number of citizens would make it “more difficult for unworthy candidates to practise with success the vicious arts by which elections are too often carried”. A large electorate would protect the system against oppressive interest groups. Politics practised on a grand scale would be more likely to select people of “enlightened views and virtuous sentiments”.

Instead, the US – in common with many other nations – now suffers the worst of both worlds: a large electorate dominated by a tiny faction. Instead of republics being governed, as Madison feared, by “the secret wishes of an unjust and interested majority”, they are beholden to the not-so-secret wishes of an unjust and interested minority. What Madison could not have foreseen was the extent to which unconstrained campaign finance and a sophisticated lobbying industry would come to dominate an entire nation, regardless of its size.

·         Domination and Oppression is projected on the Clinton camp and the establishment as an interested minority, currently dominated by the democratic party. This is an incomplete picture, since it is exactly so, that that Trump is part of a global autoritarian/autocratic trend which would find further support if Trump won the election. Furthermore he said in one presidential debate that Hillary Clinton would be locked up if he would win. So it is clear: oppression and domination looms from the Trump side and not from Clinton and the Democrats.

·         Therefore I regard  «oppression and domination» as a group fantasy,  an unconscious wish. Blaming just the wrong camp for a real existent danger, thus giving cover for the real perpetrators, shows that the unsconscious wish goes for that which is explicitly pretended to oppose, namely to oppression and dominance

For every representative, Republican or Democrat, who retains a trace element of independence, there are three sitting in the breast pocket of corporate capital. Since the supreme court decided that there should be no effective limits on campaign finance, and, to a lesser extent, long before, candidates have been reduced to tongue-tied automata, incapable of responding to those in need of help, incapable of regulating those in need of restraint, for fear of upsetting their funders.

·         In my view reasonable politicians are used here as poison container for our traumatic feelings. This happens within an unconscious cleansing group process (see Lloyd deMause)

·         We project our rage towards reasonable liberal politicians, doing so makes the reasonable government incapable of acting. This in turn leads to more projected hate on the government.

Democracy in the US is so corrupted by money that it is no longer recognisable as democracy. You can kick individual politicians out of office, but what do you do when the entire structure of politics is corrupt? …

·          Again, an incomplete and distorted picture. The truth is, that our democracies are the less corrupt states in the history of mankind. Just look at the ranking of Tranparency International. The most traditional  societies which do not obey the rule of law  are the most corrupt societies.

·         The formulation «Democracy in the US is so corrupted …that it is no longer recognisable as democracy» sounds as if the US is not worth anything. It shields our reasonbable personality parts from the insight, that it is just the opposite way. Democrats are protecting democracy whereas Trump would go in the autoritarian, autocratic direction, into real deep corruption. »

The political constitution of the United States is not, as Madison envisaged, representation tempered by competition between factions. The true constitution is plutocracy tempered by scandal. In other words, all that impedes the absolute power of money is the occasional exposure of the excesses of the wealthy. What distinguishes Trump’s political career is that, until recently, his scandals have done him no harm.

Trump disgusts us because, where others use a dog whistle, he uses a klaxon. We hate to hear his themes so clearly articulated. But we know in our hearts that they suffuse the way the world is run.

Because this story did not begin with Trump, it will not end with Trump, however badly he may lose the election. Yes, he is a shallow, mendacious, boorish and extremely dangerous man. But those traits ensure that he is not an outsider but the perfect representation of his caste, the caste that runs the global economy and governs our politics. He is our system, stripped of its pretences.

·         The alter ego of the writer helps our alter egoes to soothe our reasonable personality parts so that they do not wake up and face up to reality.

Patrick McEvoy-Halston

Nov 6, 2016, 10:40:44 AM11/6/16
to realpsychohistory
Oppression and dominion could be the return of early childhood memories. Memories provoked by ongoing societal progress, which for them feels un-permitted and untethers them, has them cling back to the dominating mother of their childhoods, and by Hillary Clinton, who reminds them in her strength of their overwhelmingly empowered mothers. I don't know if what they unconsciously want is to be dominated and oppressed but "safe" -- the borderline's "ideal" world -- but rather part of a something larger than them that will quickly serve revenge for past childhood humiliations. Were Germans in Hitler's Germany mostly cowed, dominated and oppressed by their Nazi overlords? Or did they feel part of the Volk, becoming "pure" by serving justice, being righteous avengers, on all the "bad mothers" and "bad children" out there?

Anyway, you're right. The reality is that though we don't quite have the system we need, we can get closer to it if we vote Democratic. I think that part of the problem for those in elected office is that the American people have projected their unconscious wish to be exploited and used these past 30 or so years upon them. Lloyd DeMause has argued that Americans stopped being able to keep up with their most progressive elements somewhere in the 1970s, and actually wanted politicians to develop into an aloof and arrogant -- corrupt -- class that would forget all about them: it was the way to absolve them for their own previous, post-war self-enrichment. These same regressed people are now declaring revenge upon a system that they essentially forced into a sort of undemocratic arrogance! These were the waters Democrats have had to treat all these years (mid 70's on); it wasn't just that they could hurt working class Americans -- in being vulnerable, therefore part representatives of themselves -- as a solution (sacrifice!) for the self-advancement amply provided them as our society morphed from working class to professional class dominated.

Allan Hytowitz

Nov 6, 2016, 7:29:40 PM11/6/16
to realpsyc...@googlegroups.com
Florian,

There is another factor about the election that I only discovered three months ago due to my vision test.

Almost ALL of the Trump supporters, and likely Trump himself, have chromatic dyslexia which explains their economic and ACADEMIC social levels.

My preliminary report:

You can take and give the test yourself.

Trump brings out the authoritarian mentality of his dyslexic supporters.

Hillary, however, has the "geekie" persona of a codependent typical of an abused childhood or being married to an alcoholic like Bill.  She does NOT have the "empowering" or "nurturing" persona which you are mistakenly describing.  Rather she is too trusting as in voting for the war in Iraq in 2003 because of the non-existent Weapons of Mass Destruction.

However, as President, I don't think she is going to have the gullibility that marked her career since she is "now in charge."  She will become the Iron Lady of US history.

But that's just my opinion.

Allan Hytowitz
www.linkedin.com/in/allanhytowitz
5035 Morton Ferry Circle
Alpharetta, GA 30022

678-893-0580

"As a culture we are only as good as our memory.  As a species we are only as good as our vision."
“Technology is the use of increasingly accurate, self-evident, and reproducible information to replace energy and matter.

The benefit of technology is NOT in what it lets people accomplish, but in how it improves the character of people."

"Knowledge is good."  - Emil Faber