Thoughts on this New Opensource Laser Cutter from Just Add Sharks

Old Raft

Apr 7, 2017, 12:00:38 PM4/7/17
to Reading Hackspace

Richard Ibbotson

Apr 8, 2017, 12:01:27 PM4/8/17
to Reading Hackspace
I am open minded on this.
Lot's of respect for the Just add Sharks guys and what they built here.
They do not appear to have published any open source designs yet, just used open source software.
Guess we wait.

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 5:00:38 PM UTC+1, Old Raft wrote:
https://vanillabox.myshopify.com/

Eric Rowen

Apr 8, 2017, 2:52:31 PM4/8/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
There was a demo/eval at South London Hackspace today, hopefully they will post some info.

Would be useful to do a like-for-like comparison with a similar Chinese model to see what you get and don't get for the extra money.

Alex Gibson

Apr 24, 2017, 4:30:13 AM4/24/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Two reactions:

1) it's a lot of money to duplicate the little red laser
2) it's awesome that they are creating an open source, hackable laser cutter

To make the latter the dominant factor, I hope we will see some more detail about the parts and construction, the open sourcing of the bill of materials, designs, instructions. Also what their future roadmap for development of awesome accessories for it may be (rotary axis, etc...)

I know from experience that it is extremely difficult to create a whole, working, reliable product from scratch.  So we should be patient in waiting for some of this to be documented, but lots of projects that are described and sold as Open Source, aren't, because some aspects needed to independently recreate the project are held back, either deliberately or by omission... seems that a l

Tapped on my mobile phone.

Norro

Apr 24, 2017, 10:40:04 AM4/24/17
to Reading Hackspace
Some further details appear to be on the nottinghack wiki https://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/Project:DIY_Laser/Electronics

Not sure if this is officially same project, but certainly an overlap with what they say the specs are on the vanillabox page